18 posts

AppZapper 2? Does it remove the application before you even install it? smile

February 12, 2009 5:56 am
xvaudevillainx

xvaudevillainx

Tinkerer

from Berkeley, CA
44 posts

I loved appzapper, but i lost all my apps from last year when my laptop got stolen. a new beta would definitely be nice.

▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜
Nothing gold can stay...

February 12, 2009 6:22 am
compulsiveguile

compulsiveguile

Automaton Tech

from OH
212 posts

What is this AppZapper 2? I want it...

Mac Tips, Tricks and More
www.Greg-Loesch.com

February 12, 2009 6:31 am
icloud

icloud

Tinkerer

15 posts

What is Appzapper 2? VAPOURWARE

Check Wikipedia, it'll be right next to TUBULAR (which is also the definitive 'delicious' app), Cha-Ching 2 and Disco

February 12, 2009 6:36 am
macbruski

macbruski

Automaton Tech

from Ireland
180 posts

xvaudevillainx wrote:

I loved appzapper, but i lost all my apps from last year when my laptop got stolen. a new beta would definitely be nice.

Have you checked Undercover from Obicule? It is theft recovery software that you install on your laptop in case it is ever stolen. It is obviously not much good to you now but it could come in handy (hopefully not, though!) in the future.

Here's a link:

http://www.orbicule.com/undercover/

February 12, 2009 9:23 am
guitardaddy76

guitardaddy76

Automaton Tech

from Sweden
219 posts

This would be nice, I have used cleanapp, but  have heard great things about this...

"A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is tying it's shoes."  -  Mark Twain

February 12, 2009 10:44 am
sangheeta

sangheeta

Automaton Tech

from ~Milky Way/Earth/France/Paris
170 posts

Same page since a long time about Appzapper 2
http://appzapper.com/soon/

…I believe I can fly……… I believe I can touch the sky…
Get DROPBOX 2GB online storage and 250MB extra free here…

February 12, 2009 2:37 pm
nequissimus

nequissimus

Gearhead

from Germany
60 posts

I am still using AppZapper on a regular basis, not sure what could be better about it because it is simple to use and deletes all the files an app has created (and the app itself big_smile).
Oh, and it is fast, too...

all the way

February 12, 2009 2:40 pm
Lite

Lite

Urchin

2 posts

Waylin, looool.

Well why do we need AppZapper 2? The first one works well.

February 12, 2009 3:42 pm
jer2665

jer2665

Big Game Hunter

from South Windsor, CT
800 posts

guitardaddy76 wrote:

This would be nice, I have used cleanapp, but  have heard great things about this...

I have the original app zapper, and the only thing I can think of that he'd do to improve is change the interface a little (as you can see in the pictures he posted somewhere) and make it find more stuff.  Besides the little flash and the sound it's not that great.  Hazel finds more stuff, and clean.app is phenomenal if you have the daemon running, not only can it grab everything that was installed, it can even find any file created with that app.

I've about given up on any of his apps, even if we do get appzapper 2 maybe we'll get 1 or 2 updates, then he'll forget about it for the next thing like most of his other projects.

My twitter

February 12, 2009 4:57 pm
tech

tech

Sky Pirate

from Rantoul, Illinois
1,516 posts

jer2665 wrote:

Hazel finds more stuff, and clean.app is phenomenal if you have the daemon running, not only can it grab everything that was installed, it can even find any file created with that app.

Over the last year my experience has been the opposite where appzapper, most of the time, finds more than Hazel.  Haven't looked at clean.app though.

<insert out-dated referral link here>

February 12, 2009 5:02 pm
stjg

stjg

Big Game Hunter

from Here
567 posts

I had the same experience as "Bank Robber" with Hazel and Appzapper, but found that with some update Hazel became as potent as Appzapper.

Do something healthy.
Stop eating too many Oranges!

February 12, 2009 5:44 pm
kiler6789

kiler6789

Urchin

from Moscow, Russia
5 posts

AppZapper is really a great app and I think they update it just to make it really hot! Maybe better interface or something like this, I dont think this will be a completely fresh app, just some changes.

Just Mike

February 12, 2009 5:50 pm
zyph3r

zyph3r

Tinkerer

from Croatia
21 posts

I agree with kiler6789...

They could just improve interface a bit and maybe add cleaner for the apps that arent there but they left files in Library

February 12, 2009 7:05 pm
samanthasquared

samanthasquared

Automaton Tech

from Maryland, USA
237 posts

I've never used AppZapper, but it sounds just like AppCleaner, which is free:
http://www.freemacsoft.net/AppCleaner/

Should probably get back to work.
Vote for for your favorite WordPress site designs on WP Host... hopefully it's mine.

February 12, 2009 7:29 pm
ploink

ploink

Gearhead

from The Netherlands
93 posts

zackkitzmiller wrote:

When do we get our beta access from last year wink

Appzaper 2 + beta access? Must have been sleeping last year. Did you try to contact the developer?

'An orange a day keeps the doctor away, but if the doctor is cute, screw the fruit'
Tweeeeeet me!

February 12, 2009 7:42 pm
McNuse

McNuse

Tinkerer

11 posts

I do not know which one is better, I have used Appzapper for a long time, just started using appcleaner, which I like a bit better....

No Guts, No Glory!

February 12, 2009 9:47 pm
fr0stbyt

fr0stbyt

Automaton Tech

from Ridgeland, MS
468 posts

If MacHeist wanted to help us... they would hook us up with UnderCover to keep our laptops from getting heisted. tongue

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Of course, I'll be happy with whatever they offer.  I ain't complaining about free software... or a good deal on a bundle. wink

Twitter | Get Dropbox

February 13, 2009 4:46 am
kayakkid613

kayakkid613

Urchin

6 posts

App Zapper 2 is out? The original app zapper is great and i use it almost every day!

February 13, 2009 8:30 pm
Fernandovalente

Fernandovalente

Tinkerer

from Brazil - RJ
47 posts

compulsiveguile wrote:

What is this AppZapper 2? I want it...

It is an uninstaler for Mac OS X. It removes the app and all the associated files, it is realy cool.

MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.1 GHz White, 1GB of RAM, Combo Drive - Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.6
iMac G3 266MHz Lime, 32MB of RAM, 6GB of HD, CD-ROM drive - Mac OS 8.6

February 14, 2009 2:47 am
Fernandovalente

Fernandovalente

Tinkerer

from Brazil - RJ
47 posts

There is other apps like that, but the appzaper is the best! big_smile

MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.1 GHz White, 1GB of RAM, Combo Drive - Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.6

February 14, 2009 2:48 am
Hubcube

Hubcube

Tinkerer

from Québec!
40 posts

Me, I'm still using http://konstochvanligasaker.se/apptrap/

Québécois francophone et fier d'être vert!
Macheist team: ~ Green Monkeys ~

February 14, 2009 2:56 am
Bloake

Bloake

Automaton Tech

from Long Island, NY
269 posts

I used to have this app but I found out that it didn't completely clean out many of the apps I deleted. Now I'm using Hazel. Much easier to delete files with and it actually deletes al the hidden files (as far as I know).

Hi smile

February 14, 2009 2:17 pm
joshdmcc

joshdmcc

Tinkerer

44 posts

I love appzapper, But it hasn't really been updated much.
I don't find problems with it though

A proud member of the orange team!

February 14, 2009 2:43 pm
lefich

lefich

Automaton Tech

from Atlanta, GA
167 posts

zyph3r wrote:

I agree with kiler6789...

They could just improve interface a bit and maybe add cleaner for the apps that arent there but they left files in Library

That would indeed be a nifty feature. I find myself always checking throught spotlight for not removed program files and program related files.

LETS GO TEAM ORANGE!!!!!

February 14, 2009 2:54 pm
PogiNate

PogiNate

Tinkerer

from SLC
35 posts

I use AppZapper and recommend it to less technical friends who don't want to figure out how to make Hazel effective (I use both.)  I'd have to agree that I don't see much need to upgrade AppZapper (or Disco for that matter) because it does exactly what it says and works great.  If it ain't broke...

There are many apps that (IMHO) only need updates when a new OS version comes out so that they continue to provide full functionality. AppZapper, Disco, Scrivener, TextMate, and other workhorse programs fit this category.  I don't want my hammer suddenly developing a screwdriver feature; I just want a good hammer that I can pick up and use without thinking about it.

CARS is (mostly) dead. Long Live CANS!
Go Green!

February 14, 2009 4:11 pm
Rychy

Rychy

Automaton Tech

from Washington
301 posts

Bloake wrote:

I used to have this app but I found out that it didn't completely clean out many of the apps I deleted. Now I'm using Hazel. Much easier to delete files with and it actually deletes al the hidden files (as far as I know).

I didn't know Hazel did that (or forgot)... I'm really hoping that they include it in the bundle, I've wanted it for a while, but can't bring myself to actually buy it.

Setup: Mac Pro 2.8 Octo, 6GB RAM, 8800GT  l  iPhone 3GS
Currently Watching: Lie To Me, 30 Rock
Currently Playing: Mass Effect 2
Awaiting: Final Fantasy XIII, Kingdom Hearts III

February 14, 2009 4:48 pm

mynameisraj

McNuse wrote:

I do not know which one is better, I have used Appzapper for a long time, just started using appcleaner, which I like a bit better....

Spare your old copy? haha

I'm also using appcleaner, but the interface isn't as polished as that of appzapper's.

February 14, 2009 5:45 pm
milxar

milxar

Automaton Tech

from Ukraine
130 posts

AppZapper is much better then AppCleaner as for me. I hope the next version will be released soon.

February 14, 2009 8:22 pm
WebKarnage

WebKarnage

Big Game Hunter

from UK
776 posts

I have Hazel, but have never run it (from MUPromo bundle) and stick with AppCleaner. It's great and free! From what I could see Hazel is great for people that tend to litter their computer with stuff and need to clean it up. I don't work like that, and files being moved inadvertently could be a disaster for me.

The Optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds, the Pessimist fears this is true.

February 15, 2009 2:00 pm
GoldenChaos

GoldenChaos

Gearhead

from Hydrocity Act 2
97 posts

Wow, thank you guys for mentioning CleanApp - it;s much more full-featured (albeit more complicated) than AppZapper or any other uninstall app, finds more files (all of them, thank god almighty), and has extra tools for me to find large cache files around my HDD. A great app for sure!

Founder of GoodSemester and ultra-webmaster of Zelda Universe and Zelda Wiki. I also have a blog that sometimes has ice cream.

February 15, 2009 2:20 pm
jer2665

jer2665

Big Game Hunter

from South Windsor, CT
800 posts

cleanApp is awesome, especially when running the service or whatever they call it, some people had problems with it, i haven't had any yet, and you can have it work like apptrap or hazel where it opens when you trash a program that has other files.

My twitter

February 15, 2009 2:33 pm
t.munari

t.munari

Urchin

7 posts

I believe that appzapper is a neat app!
Up till now,
I don't really feel the need of a version 2.
I am a firm believer of the school: "if it works don't mess with it!"

bye

February 15, 2009 6:25 pm
Joggl

Joggl

Tinkerer

from Germany
12 posts

AppZapper works fine for me since I got it with the last bundle. Great tool and easy to use!

February 15, 2009 6:26 pm
btester92

btester92

Big Game Hunter

from USA
944 posts

I tried cleanapp for awhile, and it does find the most files, but it's also the most expensive of all these tools. For me, it's not worth the extra few kilobytes of disk space. I use AppCleaner and I love it. I switched from AppZapper since it hasn't been updated since before MH2, and I'm very satisfied. It even opens when I move an app to the trash, something that AppZapper doesn't currently do.

If I was helpful, consider signing up for Dropbox on my referral.

February 15, 2009 7:05 pm
semicolons

semicolons

Big Game Hunter

from UK
729 posts

t.munari wrote:

I am a firm believer of the school: "if it works don't mess with it!"

Yeah, but that doesn't sell. wink

February 15, 2009 8:01 pm
bichufo

bichufo

Tinkerer

from Colombia
12 posts

Hazel will clean up what AppZapper leaves behind.  With both you will get most apps zapped totally removed from your disk.  But there are still apps that leave stuff behind so a third app will look for orphaned prefference files.  That app is MacPilot.

February 15, 2009 8:16 pm
mrkwst22

mrkwst22

Gearhead

from ....an even smaller cave.
51 posts

Was AppZapper 2 a MacHeist loot?

"But there is no there there! Don't you get it! It's all in your head!"

http://vacano.mosaicglobe.com/gallery/1 … e_Blue.jpg

February 15, 2009 11:01 pm
btester92

btester92

Big Game Hunter

from USA
944 posts

AppZapper 1.8 was part of the MH2 bundle, and it included a free update to AppZapper 2, which hasn't been released yet.

If I was helpful, consider signing up for Dropbox on my referral.

February 15, 2009 11:05 pm
jessewm

jessewm

Automaton Tech

from Ridgeland, MS
134 posts

btester92 wrote:

AppZapper 1.8 was part of the MH2 bundle, and it included a free update to AppZapper 2, which hasn't been released yet.

I wish I was paying attention during the MacHeist 2. For some reason, I ignored the postings or wasn't paying attention for a while. I would love AppZapper 2

 Green Monkey Team 
My Twitter

February 15, 2009 11:17 pm
Lifely

Lifely

Gearhead

from France
97 posts

you can stop dreaming man...

i think that Appzapper is death...

tongue - Orange Team will Win - big_smile

February 15, 2009 11:56 pm
d4ian

d4ian

Tinkerer

11 posts

Using AppCleaner and it seems to work really well.

February 16, 2009 8:31 pm
jbkelley

jbkelley

Gearhead

54 posts

I have both Appzapper and Hazel.  Half the time when I delete an app using Appzapper, Hazel will pop up and ask I want to delete the following additional data.  I still use both.

Macbook Pro 2.33
There are 3 sides to every story.  His, hers and the truth.

February 16, 2009 8:46 pm
majken

majken

Automaton Tech

from Los Angeles
181 posts

I use Appzapper all the time.

GO TEAM ORANGE!!!!!

February 16, 2009 11:40 pm
chiisana

chiisana

Gearhead

from Canada
93 posts

samanthasquared wrote:

I've never used AppZapper, but it sounds just like AppCleaner, which is free:
http hmm/ www .free macsoft. net/AppCleaner/

Thanks for the tip on AppCleaner!  I've just grabbed it and cleaned up my system a bit smile
Now if only I can get on the actions with AppZapper too tongue

rawr~

February 18, 2009 3:03 pm
kcwookie

kcwookie

Tinkerer

from Kansas City
49 posts

Appzapper still works great for me.

Never ask a person what computer they use. If they use a Mac, they will tell you, otherwise why shame them.

February 19, 2009 2:33 pm
joelwilliam

joelwilliam

Tinkerer

from Australia
20 posts

Bloake wrote:

Hazel looks really good, I'm going to try it. I like how it keeps all your files organised too. Not just uninstalling.

Please use my referral, I'll remove after I get two! http://www.macheist.com/bundle/u/165993/

THANKS big_smile

February 21, 2009 8:29 am
kvaruni

kvaruni

Gearhead

60 posts

Hubcube wrote:

Me, I'm still using http://konstochvanligasaker.se/apptrap/

Me too, and that is one excellent non-intrusive and free app!

Just Me. And my Team. lol

February 21, 2009 9:51 am
Fernandovalente

Fernandovalente

Tinkerer

from Brazil - RJ
47 posts

What should I do? Keep using AppZaper or try using AppCleaner?

February 21, 2009 6:10 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Apps » AppZapper 2

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?