Forums

Overflow (Mission 2)

MacHeist Forums » The Apps » Overflow (Mission 2)
tyler785

tyler785

Urchin

2 posts

I think XMenu, from the people who make DEVONthink, is a much better program that offers pretty much the same functionality as Overflow.  Only it is a small icon in the menu bar and requires less clicks to get to an app or folder.

March 17, 2009 3:00 pm
CraftyHeist

CraftyHeist

Automaton Tech

308 posts

tyler785 wrote:

I think XMenu, from the people who make DEVONthink, is a much better program that offers pretty much the same functionality as Overflow.  Only it is a small icon in the menu bar and requires less clicks to get to an app or folder.

Overflow looks like it does exactly the same thing. You just need to deselect the 'show overflow icon in the dock' preference.

Does xmenu have some additional features? Ahh, just noticed that it's free (which is an advantage), but so is overflow for now.

March 17, 2009 3:12 pm

artigee

Urchin

1 posts

it was very well designed as replacement of dock...
but still I might want to have more user editablities such as in edit mode, I wish there is a way to mult selections for editting order and copy and paste the icon from one catagory to
another great... and changing the entire size of panel should reflect the size of icons to
fit the new window size rather than hiding...
finally, it might be great to reduce the memory usages which is more than finder uses...
just my 2 cents...

March 17, 2009 5:44 pm
jackiebow

jackiebow

Tinkerer

from New York
25 posts

I never received my license information...is there anyway to request another email?

Go Green.

March 21, 2009 5:26 am
Anomaly112

Anomaly112

Gearhead

53 posts

Overflow is getting whupped by Quicksilver on my Mac, pure and simple. If I have to open Overflow and get to my apps, I may as well be going to the dock.

March 21, 2009 6:15 am
kollalfa@mac.com

kollalfa@mac.com

Tinkerer

from Ørsta
10 posts

Very convenient app! I put all my new apps here. With almost 400 apps installed on my Mac, it's very nice to be able to  put the most recent and/or most used in such a handy place! But it's starting to get full ...

(:-#

March 22, 2009 7:47 pm
acsharp

acsharp

Urchin

2 posts

I still haven't received my email either, its been like almost 2 weeks.

IM DA BEST MANE!

March 23, 2009 2:23 am

zulkiflim

Urchin

3 posts

Heya

Overflow is a the best prog...really cleaned my dock..lol

March 24, 2009 4:25 am

KarlB

Urchin

1 posts

Hi.. I haven't recived my email with the Licence either.. I have tried to mail to the support of Stunt soft.. But haven't got any reply... Is there any other way to get my licence? I have used it for about 3 weeks and love the app.. But now it's only 4 days left of the trail period..

March 24, 2009 9:35 am
kunzai

kunzai

Urchin

2 posts

acsharp wrote:

I still haven't received my email either, its been like almost 2 weeks.

same here!

what should be done to get a license?

March 25, 2009 8:51 am
vansouza

vansouza

Sky Pirate

from Las Vegas, USA Earth Milky Way
1,075 posts

Is there a way to make Overflow sticky when it opens so I an pick more then one app before it closes?  Thanks...

www.usheroes.us Pray for Peace. Go Orange!

March 27, 2009 6:00 pm
oatmealsnap

oatmealsnap

Gearhead

from Geneseo, NY
60 posts

@vansouza There is actually. Just Option + Click on the application.

March 27, 2009 6:46 pm
vansouza

vansouza

Sky Pirate

from Las Vegas, USA Earth Milky Way
1,075 posts

oatmealsnap wrote:

@vansouza There is actually. Just Option + Click on the application.

Thank you for letting me know this.. is the Option and chose an option thing and OSX thing or an Overflow thing?  Just wondering... and thanks again.

www.usheroes.us Pray for Peace. Go Orange!

March 27, 2009 7:34 pm

mynameisraj

Here are my categories
http://www.quicksnapper.com/files/4623/116687976149D0154E2C979_m.png

March 30, 2009 12:44 am

TeamKMH

Tinkerer

from UK
45 posts

Are others STILL having issues getting the license for this? We get emails saying 'the license email will follow this email' and no further email! We will have to feed Overflow to App Cleaner in 2 more days if we don't resolve this sad

KieransMadHouse Because free things are cool!

April 4, 2009 8:02 am
Turtle_Island

Turtle_Island

Urchin

6 posts

Well, I was going to gift someone with Overflow, because I don't need the license received through MacHeist, but I got this message from the developers:

"Unfortunately we are unable to transfer the free licenses from MacHeist to another user - the person must have participated in the MacHeist mission to receive the free license."

That's a bummer. I have the license; I'm not going to use it. It's too bad I just can't give it to someone who actually wants the app.

Please use my referral link if you're buying the bundle: http://www.macheist.com/bundle/u/290281/

Have 0, Need 2

April 6, 2009 1:59 am
kunzai

kunzai

Urchin

2 posts

I got my license after visiting their homepage and filling out the form under:
=> Contact -> Lost License

I immediately received the lost license smile

April 6, 2009 8:34 am
bobbykartoon

bobbykartoon

Automaton Tech

from Vancouver
466 posts

I'm trying this out... looks like it may clean up my dock a bit. smile

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he has learned in school" - Albert Einstein

April 6, 2009 8:41 am
cmanou

cmanou

Tinkerer

48 posts

I still havent received my license and the lost license thing doesnt work what should i do??

LETS GO TEAM ORANGE!!!!! ORANGE4LIFE

April 7, 2009 9:23 am

TeamKMH

Tinkerer

from UK
45 posts

We would like to say that after a special effort from the developer we have our license. the emails wouldn't appear for us, so he had to go out of his way to help. We really appreciate the attitude of this developer helping us.

KieransMadHouse Because free things are cool!

April 10, 2009 1:38 pm
Snowman

Snowman

Tinkerer

from North Pole
36 posts

Sounds so Good and Interesting. I will try Overflow tomorrow.

Thanks, MacHeist!!

⚡⚡

April 11, 2009 4:26 am
koki

koki

Automaton Tech

444 posts

cmanou wrote:

I still havent received my license and the lost license thing doesnt work what should i do??

If you haven't already, contact the developer's website. Ten cents says they have your email and purchase information in their database.

▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

April 11, 2009 4:48 am

cheechi

Urchin

6 posts

After browsing a few of the replies here, I felt it necessary to say a few things;

First of all, I am still trying to like this app.  It's like every time I add the license info, Overflow 'forgets' that it is unlocked after a restart.  Frustrating.  It's giving me a time limit now and I'm not sure that I will like it before that time runs out.  You may think I'm being harsh, but I have put a lot of time and effort into giving this app a fair chance.
Combining the license issues and the fact that I've bought both DragtThing (way better implementation of the same idea) and PathFinder (has an Applications button in it that lists the contents of /Appliations, as well as via the PF menu icon) I just don't see the use for this.  If others love it, then great. 

You can't argue with free, but when I was looking for a UI element that this might have filled, I tried Butler, LaunchBar, DragThing, and Quicksilver.  If this were available (or advertised better? I found all the rest on MacUpdate with no prior knowledge of any of those programs) I definitely would have tried the demo and chosen any of the above over this.

I use QuickSilver heavily to launch programs instead of dock or menus.  I'm just a more keyboard-centric person, and it feels like Overflow is very decidedly a mouser's app.  But for the same amount of mousing selecting the dock icon, selecting the page you want, then clicking on the icon, you could simply open up a finder window, select Applications from the sidebar, scroll down and click your app.  No effort is saved with Overflow over Finder, let alone QS, PF, or DT.  Why have a hotkey if you're just going to mouse over and click the icon?

I was thinking 'hey it was free and it might clean up the stuff I keep in the dock all the time' but it doesn't; running programs are still sitting in the dock so it doesn't really save you any space.  If you option click the icon too many times, it starts hiding other apps.  I think this is a bug.  I can't see what this functionality could add.

I do like the interface, and it's neat that I can float it around the desktop so it's basically a widget with shortcuts in it.  Then again, after putting it someplace nice and trying to keep it there with (what is it, control or command click?) it would close anyway, and just open up in its default position again when I re-click.  I have been playing with this since we got it as loot during the missions, so it's not like I just spent 5 minutes with it and decided I don't like it.  I have yet to find a real use for it, even after recreating everything in my DragThing containers so that Overflow is the exact same organization, I still don't get the feeling it's as useful.  The app launches quickly, but after a few uses, it quickly gets sluggish.

Finally, I don't use Stacks, so I don't know if all of the same functionality is available with Stacks or not, but it certainly seems like Overflow only offers cosmetic differences to the 'grid' stacks.

If the developers are looking at this forum, please take this as constructive criticism; if you are still developing this app, then try DragThing.  I think you'll find that's the finished product of the idea you had when creating this app.

If you missed out, send me an email.  If I do get a license I'll consider gifting it if I can't find a use for it.

April 14, 2009 5:48 am
CraftyHeist

CraftyHeist

Automaton Tech

308 posts

cheechi wrote:

I use QuickSilver heavily to launch programs instead of dock or menus.  I'm just a more keyboard-centric person, and it feels like Overflow is very decidedly a mouser's app.

I agree.

cheechi wrote:

But for the same amount of mousing selecting the dock icon, selecting the page you want, then clicking on the icon, you could simply open up a finder window, select Applications from the sidebar, scroll down and click your app.  No effort is saved with Overflow over Finder, let alone QS, PF, or DT.  Why have a hotkey if you're just going to mouse over and click the icon?

Not if you have a multi-button mouse. I operate Overflow completely from my mouse and can group apps by purpose e.g. Graphics, web design, system tools: perfect for quickly finding that little, rarely used app that I can't remember the name of.

Horses for courses.

April 14, 2009 6:19 am
biomac101

biomac101

Urchin

2 posts

I can not get my overflow license registered, after click on loot page, it returns some info tells me that:

"Your license
404 Not Found Not Found The requested URL /macheist_overflow.php was not found on this server."

how could I get a license for this app? plz help, and thanks a lot!

June 18, 2009 1:20 am

tylerlin

Urchin

1 posts

I got error message for overflow, too.
"Your license 404 Not Found Not Found The requested URL /macheist_overflow.php was not found on this server."

July 5, 2009 8:45 am
hanover

hanover

Urchin

from Austin, Texas
5 posts

I emailed the Overflow dev who told me, "Unfortunately our MacHeist promotion is now over."

I can understand that policy for people who didn't participate in that MacHeist, or who didn't buy the package.  Especially since it was an add-on, and not a standard app.  But, for people who did?

It's not a huge deal, but does it make me want to use Overflow?  No.

July 17, 2009 12:56 am
dkoerner

dkoerner

Sky Pirate

from Good ol' Germany
1,165 posts

where is the problem?

German Mac Twittering | Dropbox - Free online storage
Green Monkeys, the only true monkeys

July 17, 2009 9:20 am
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

I think they've taken down the link to the MacHeist license generation. It has definitely been a while...

PM me | Twitter

July 17, 2009 10:16 am
dkoerner

dkoerner

Sky Pirate

from Good ol' Germany
1,165 posts

yeah, I know, but what is the problem? Nobody would have thought that they would keep that online forever, right?

July 17, 2009 10:58 am
hanover

hanover

Urchin

from Austin, Texas
5 posts

I'm not really sure what time has to do with anything.  What if I'd simply lost my license?  How would that be any different?  The offer was valid during the time I bought the MacHeist bundle.  I didn't notice Overflow and didn't request a key.

I'm not saying it's unfair.  It's just something people should keep in mind.  Unlike buying software outside of the MacHeist bundle, your rights to a license (in some scenarios) are limited.

July 18, 2009 3:00 am
Miah

Miah

3,692 posts

Lost of license is immaterial in this case. Developers wouldn't be handing you a second license if you lost your first. They would give you a copy of the original.

It's also to be expected that such a promotion would have an ending date, because if it was still up, you can be reasonably certain that most people wouldn't bat an eye at the prospect of paying nothing for it than paying something for it. Not a way to do business, I'd say.

䷟䷽䷏䷁ — Dying of the Light.

July 18, 2009 4:04 am
Molnies

Molnies

Big Game Hunter

from Sweden
527 posts

hanover wrote:

I'm not really sure what time has to do with anything.  What if I'd simply lost my license?  How would that be any different?  The offer was valid during the time I bought the MacHeist bundle.  I didn't notice Overflow and didn't request a key.

I'm not saying it's unfair.  It's just something people should keep in mind.  Unlike buying software outside of the MacHeist bundle, your rights to a license (in some scenarios) are limited.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean here. Overflow was not part of the bundle, it had "nothing" to do with the MacHeist bundle so to speak. Overflow was free loot, and can't be compared to "buying software outside of the MacHeist bundle".

Think Purple.

July 18, 2009 11:26 am
rampancy

rampancy

from Denial.
3,890 posts

hanover wrote:

No, no, no. Why do people always, always keep on getting it wrong, after three years?

Overflow was offered as part of the MacHeist LOOT. LOOT apps are provided totally free of charge, requiring you only to complete the web-based puzzles to get them. The limitations on their eligibility for upgrades/updates and any time limits on their validity are completely at the discretion of the developer. They aren't valid during the bundle sale alone; they're valid from the time they're put on your loot page after you finish the mission generally until they're taken down, either by the developer or shortly before the beginning of the next season of  MacHeist.

Bundle apps are no different in their license limitations than the licenses you'd get if you'd bought the apps directly from the developer, the only exception being TextMate which was sold as part of the first MacHeist bundle back in 2006-2007.

Since Overflow was a loot app, it is perfectly within the developer's right to withhold the licenses when they want (as unfortunate as that is). However, you at least had several months to get your licenses and back it up, a task which would have taken only a few minutes at the very most.

It is always, *always* a good idea to immediately backup and store your loot apps and their licenses somewhere safe, even if you don't immediately use and install them. That's something you should do for all promotionally provided apps, regardless of where you get them, and that's definitely something you should do with any shareware apps you buy. That's simple common sense.

Marathon Forever.
AppShelf: MacHeist 3 Loot
AppShelf: nanoBundle 1
Check Reciept Page for nanoBundle 2 AppShelf Files.

July 18, 2009 12:25 pm
hanover

hanover

Urchin

from Austin, Texas
5 posts

I'm not sure what I "got wrong".  I understand the policy.  Again, I didn't say it is unfair.  But there are plenty of people on here that were surprised by it.  It's something to consider.  And MacHeist might consider disabling the button to generate a license instead of allowing it to error.

Thanks for the lesson in common sense rampancy.  Since I didn't generate a license for an app I didn't notice, it also means (of course) that I don't back up my licenses.

July 18, 2009 2:03 pm
dkoerner

dkoerner

Sky Pirate

from Good ol' Germany
1,165 posts

hanover wrote:

I'm not sure what I "got wrong".  I understand the policy.  Again, I didn't say it is unfair.

You said that this did not want you to make the app. So it seems that you think that this is not ok, right?

It reminds me a bit of my try to get Forklift for 10 bucks.... unfortunately I tried it when they turned their onlineshop to the new pricing model. I was mad that I didn't get it (allthough I already had it in my shoppingcart), but didn't blame them. I blamed myself, because I had overread the note in one of the threads here on MH that the promotion was going for a week.

I just think that Overflow is a really nice app (actually one of the few once that I really use out of the Loot). When I activated the license it gave me a corrupted one (stupid special characters in my name.... wasn't the first time that this happened for MacHeist stuff), so I sent them an email and got a reply within an hour, which I tought was simply awesome.

Give them a chance, it's worth it.

July 18, 2009 2:57 pm
hanover

hanover

Urchin

from Austin, Texas
5 posts

Ha...dkoerner, I didn't say it was rational.  But yes, it does look like a nice app.  Maybe it's my special time of the month.

July 18, 2009 7:24 pm

loveurmindnsoul

Urchin

from SF Bay Area
3 posts

I've finally got around to downloading this app in my loot and when I clicked to retrieve the license code this is what I got

Your license

404 Not Found

Not Found
The requested URL /macheist_overflow.php was not found on this server.

Any solutions?

November 17, 2009 1:51 am
CraftyHeist

CraftyHeist

Automaton Tech

308 posts

As loot is given for free it's usually time limited. It's a good idea to obtain and record your license codes as soon as possible.

Try mailing the developer but I think you'll be out of luck.

[EDIT: you could also have read back a few posts wink]

November 17, 2009 7:16 am

zenil

Urchin

1 posts

i wanna download software from this site for my mac can anyone help me in downloading

January 3, 2010 8:06 am
Lawdom

Lawdom

Automaton Tech

from Iowa
142 posts

I love Overflow so much I have bittersweet feelings that it will be obsolete in OS X Lion.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com … ck2mac.jpg

October 20, 2010 7:16 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Apps » Overflow (Mission 2)

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?