Forums

Hyperspaces (Mission 2)

MacHeist Forums » The Apps » Hyperspaces (Mission 2)
tonyarnold

tonyarnold

Gearhead

from Newcastle, Australia
69 posts

macbruski wrote:

Hi Tony. Are there plans to allow for custom Docks in each Space? I know that there are other apps that allow you to do this but I feel that this is something that should naturally be a feature of Hyperspaces.

A few people have requested it, so I'm definitely considering this idea for a version after 1.0.

Developer of Hyperspaces - the ultimate way to customise Apple's Spaces!  |  twitter

March 1, 2009 8:50 pm
tonyarnold

tonyarnold

Gearhead

69 posts

cyberarya wrote:

Tony, I love your app, but is it possible to make the background for each space to also extend under the translucent menu bar? Its kinda of odd having a green menu bar (because my real background is green) and have a orange background due to spaces. Other than that great App!!

This is annoying, isn't it? Hyperspaces actually is drawing beneath the menubar, it's Apple's lovely blur that's not updating. I'm still looking for ways to trigger this change short of setting the system desktop background.

Developer of Hyperspaces - the ultimate way to customise Apple's Spaces!  |  twitter

March 1, 2009 8:52 pm
tonyarnold

tonyarnold

Gearhead

69 posts

tgsantee wrote:
tgsantee wrote:

I can't get it to work. When I try to launch it nothing appears in the menu bar. After about 10 seconds I get a box that says Connection Failure: There server is not operation or is not available at this time. When I tried to download version 655 mentioned earlier in this thread I got a 404 File not found on this server message.

I was able to download and install the 656 update but it still does nothing other than give the Connection Failure error message. I can't imagine what server it thinks it should connect to. As far as I can tell this tool has nothing to do with networking. I'll give it a try again when I'm get home and am on my home network.

The only network connection Hyperspaces makes is to my server (hyperspacesapp.com) to check for updates. Can you e-mail me a screenshot of the dialog that's coming up? (support@thecocoabots.com).

March 1, 2009 8:53 pm
tonyarnold

tonyarnold

Gearhead

69 posts

dogcowsaysmoof wrote:

I have the 656 version (from this forum), but it still draws backgrounds as plain white, which is really annoying. If this was fixed I would consider a full license!

I'm still working on this. I think I've found an answer, but it's going to take a little time to implement.

dogcowsaysmoof wrote:

Also, it sounds like you are planning not to give us 1.0 final, is this just my head or true?

It's not true. You will all receive a MacHeist copy of Hyperspaces 1.0, which will not be updateable beyond 1.0 - so if I put out a patch to the "full" version that's 1.0.1, or 1.1, the version of Hyperspaces you're using will not update itself to that version.

March 1, 2009 8:57 pm
keebo777

keebo777

Tinkerer

from Atlanta
32 posts

Thank you Tony. I'm really liking this app.

March 1, 2009 8:59 pm
tonyarnold

tonyarnold

Gearhead

69 posts

dan.oakley@mac.com wrote:

Hi

Having a bit of a prob, when I D/L the prog it has a white circle with a line through it (think Ghostbusters!) and when I moved it to my apps folder and tried to run it a message said i could not run hyperspaces on this version of OSX (I am running 10.5.4) do I need to upgrade to .5.6 cos It doesn't work with some other software of mine. I also D/L'd the version from this thread but no joy there either.

Dan

Hi Dan - Hyperspaces requires Mac OS X 10.5.5 or later.

March 1, 2009 9:04 pm
guitardaddy76

guitardaddy76

Automaton Tech

from Sweden
219 posts

i have never heard of it. is it better than spaces, for those who have used it?

"A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is tying it's shoes."  -  Mark Twain

March 1, 2009 10:00 pm
python29

python29

Gearhead

from SoCal
64 posts

guitardaddy,

Hyperspace is an add-on to spaces.  you activate spaces first.
use it to visually tell which space you are in by picture or color.

what it does: backgrounds image to each space (I use this and like it), labels (don't use it), background color (don't use it), hotkey (don't use it because the system already has hotkeys).

Interested in Japan, Tech or Food?  Visit Akagumo

March 1, 2009 10:10 pm
Reo

Reo

Tinkerer

from Ontario+
11 posts

I've been following Hyperspaces ever since I stumbled across it during my aimless internetz wanderings. Great app, can't wait for future updates.

Flowin' a Sociopath of Instruction.

March 2, 2009 12:45 am

dan.oakley@mac.com

Urchin

2 posts

Thanks for letting me know Tony, much appreciated.

Dan

March 2, 2009 9:40 am
kongobongo

kongobongo

Automaton Tech

443 posts

Maybe it's already been brought up, but what does Hyperspaces do that Space Suit doesn't do? I tried both, and the difference seems to be dock icon and better stability (space suit) VS icon in the top bar and less stability (hyperspaces).

Plastic Fish Never Die

March 2, 2009 11:08 am
jer2665

jer2665

Big Game Hunter

from South Windsor, CT
800 posts

http://images.jeremyhalvorsen.com/skitch/Hyperspaces_-_The_Ultimate_Way_to_Customise_Your_Spaces%21-20090302-102129.jpg

that's what it gives you, from the project web page.

My twitter

March 2, 2009 3:22 pm
buzzasus

buzzasus

Automaton Tech

from FL
186 posts

With the mention of this being memory intensive, I am wondering if anyone has used this on an older machine? I run 10.5.6 on a PowerBook G4 with a 128 MB vid-card, is this capable of pulling Hyperspaces weight?

I do use Spaces and find it invaluable, I'd like to give Hyperspaces a go, but am only cautious on hearing of it's demand on the system.

- Brian

March 2, 2009 6:31 pm
kongobongo

kongobongo

Automaton Tech

443 posts

So that's basically colors (not a killer feature) and then labels (not a killer feature either) that differ. Hotkeys are built-in to os x. The switcher maybe...

Plastic Fish Never Die

March 2, 2009 7:30 pm
cmason

cmason

Sky Pirate

from Toronto, Canada
1,344 posts

kongobongo wrote:

So that's basically colors (not a killer feature) and then labels (not a killer feature either) that differ. Hotkeys are built-in to os x. The switcher maybe...

Yeah, none of the other features do it for me either, but if the switcher can be made "sticky" on the desktop (always there) and moveable/resizeable that would be a killer feature for me.

March 2, 2009 7:36 pm
Drake Rubicon

Drake Rubicon

Tinkerer

from Dresden, GER
31 posts

I was close to buy hyperspaces before the Heist, but i said to myself: maybe they'll giv it for free, dring the heist.
And now i have it.

Thank you very much! I love it. ^^

"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I'm an agent of chaos.
Oh, and you know the thing about chaos? It's fair!"
- The Joker
Visit: Illuminous Days

March 2, 2009 8:08 pm
Heist4E

Heist4E

Automaton Tech

from Sweden-Cold as ice
210 posts

Havent read thru the whole thread so I dont know if this is a known issue but I cant download it nor the app Timepost. I get a message at the bottom of my Safari (4beta)-window that tells me to check the Activity window for details. In the Activity window it says "Operation could not be completed" and then its something more but I cant resize the window to see what it is. Ive tried it a couple of times with the same result.

Green green SuperGreen
Former member of MH3 MacHeist team: ? Green Monkeys™ ?

wink big_smilewink big_smilewink big_smilewink big_smilewink big_smilewink big_smilewink big_smilewink big_smilewink big_smilewink big_smile

March 2, 2009 10:05 pm
guitardaddy76

guitardaddy76

Automaton Tech

from Sweden
219 posts

nah I'll stick with my broken spaces.

"A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is tying it's shoes."  -  Mark Twain

March 2, 2009 10:13 pm
notyoubutme

notyoubutme

Automaton Tech

from Land of the windmills
374 posts

izdale wrote:

Besides using Warp, you should also try using Dock Spaces with Hyperspace.  It allows you to have different docks for each space, and it will automatically change the dock when you change spaces.  It's free too.  http://www.nscoding.co.uk/dock.html

I just came to the same conclusion as this was definitly what I was missing. Found it on MacUpdate..

But, it seems I'm not the only one ...

March 2, 2009 10:37 pm
artist-illustrator.net

artist-illustrator.net

Dirigible Captain

from Manchester, UK
3,027 posts

update available for our 'preview' release

http://img.skitch.com/20090303-k4s6bp7amkang4tdx1hw6uhbh4.jpg

I'm feeling old

March 3, 2009 12:30 am
brasetvik

brasetvik

Tinkerer

from Trondheim
15 posts

Feature request: Give an option to disable the transition animation when switching spaces. That's my number #1 gripe with Spaces --- seeing that transition twice a minute drives me insane.

March 3, 2009 1:01 am
jakrodeo12

jakrodeo12

Gearhead

71 posts

Great app... except i run mach desktop so hyper screws with my backgrounds and unless i can run a movie in the background with hyperspaces then ill stick with mach desktop. And hyperspaces makes it a little laggy when i switch between spaces

PWND

March 3, 2009 1:10 am
Anga69

Anga69

Tinkerer

from Montreal
27 posts

brasetvik wrote:

Feature request: Give an option to disable the transition animation when switching spaces. That's my number #1 gripe with Spaces --- seeing that transition twice a minute drives me insane.

Isn't there already a check box for that in the prefs?

Anyway, i like this App, although I don't really need it. It's well done!

Not orange, not gold, AMBER!!! big_smile

March 3, 2009 1:27 am
cmason

cmason

Sky Pirate

from Toronto, Canada
1,344 posts

Anga69 wrote:
brasetvik wrote:

No, there's not, not even a hidden one.  I mentioned this as a request before, and I'll add a +1 to this.  Disable transitions and make the switcher display sticky, and you have a killer app!

March 3, 2009 1:38 am
fr0stbyt

fr0stbyt

Automaton Tech

from Ridgeland, MS
468 posts

cmason wrote:
Anga69 wrote:
brasetvik wrote:

No, there's not, not even a hidden one.  I mentioned this as a request before, and I'll add a +1 to this.  Disable transitions and make the switcher display sticky, and you have a killer app!

Are you referring to the "Animate changes to desktop backgrounds" option?

Twitter | Get Dropbox

March 3, 2009 2:27 am
cmason

cmason

Sky Pirate

from Toronto, Canada
1,344 posts

fr0stbyt wrote:
cmason wrote:
Anga69 wrote:

I'm speaking about the standard spaces, without hyperspace, there's always an animation (windows moving in) and a pop-up that always displays when switching desktops.  I think this is what the previous poster meant too.  There's no way to disable this, even in a hidden preference option.  If hyperspaces or any third party app offered a way to disable this it would be great.

March 3, 2009 2:32 am
fr0stbyt

fr0stbyt

Automaton Tech

from Ridgeland, MS
468 posts

cmason wrote:
fr0stbyt wrote:
cmason wrote:

I'm speaking about the standard spaces, without hyperspace, there's always an animation (windows moving in) and a pop-up that always displays when switching desktops.  I think this is what the previous poster meant too.  There's no way to disable this, even in a hidden preference option.  If hyperspaces or any third party app offered a way to disable this it would be great.

Ahh, so you mean the sliding effect.  Gotcha.

I love it... I'm surprised anyone would want it off.  Oh well... to each his own.  Maybe they will add a way to disable it.

Twitter | Get Dropbox

March 3, 2009 2:35 am
cmason

cmason

Sky Pirate

from Toronto, Canada
1,344 posts

fr0stbyt wrote:

Ahh, so you mean the sliding effect.  Gotcha.

I love it... I'm surprised anyone would want it off.  Oh well... to each his own.  Maybe they will add a way to disable it.

Well, if you're used to Linux/UNIX, it's weird.  Under Linux I have 8 virtual desktops and switch back and forth *very* frequently.  Sometimes just half a second to check something, such as IM, then back again.  That's the same reason I want the pager.  Single click, check three desktops, back to the browser.  smile

March 3, 2009 2:45 am
delano

delano

Automaton Tech

from Alabama
462 posts

I read through these pages, and I am impressed at how interested the developer is in his product. I've used way too much software created by people who seem simply to be uninterested.   I note as well how quickly an update was prepared based on user commentary.  Overall a solid product, but I think a more solid developer.

My two cents.

There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who read binary; and those who don't.

March 3, 2009 2:55 am
cmason

cmason

Sky Pirate

from Toronto, Canada
1,344 posts

delano wrote:

I read through these pages, and I am impressed at how interested the developer is in his product. I've used way too much software created by people who seem simply to be uninterested.   I note as well how quickly an update was prepared based on user commentary.  Overall a solid product, but I think a more solid developer.

My two cents.

Agreed, very encouraging to see this.

March 3, 2009 2:58 am
Heist4E

Heist4E

Automaton Tech

from Sweden-Cold as ice
210 posts

I still cant download it. Any clues on why or maybee an alternate link?

Green green SuperGreen

wink big_smilewink big_smilewink big_smilewink big_smilewink big_smilewink big_smilewink big_smilewink big_smilewink big_smilewink big_smile

March 3, 2009 7:46 am
Heist4E

Heist4E

Automaton Tech

from Sweden-Cold as ice
210 posts

Figured out another way to download it. Instead of just clicking the download-button I rightclicked on it and selected "Download linked file as..." and that did the trick. I tried downloading in Firefox earlier but I got a similar problem with that too.

Green green SuperGreen

March 3, 2009 6:00 pm
Heist4E

Heist4E

Automaton Tech

from Sweden-Cold as ice
210 posts

Seems like though this would be a nice app to use its nothing for me since I cant have different backgrounds if Im also using DeskShade and since DeskShade is doing an excelent job covering over all those files thats made a permanent home on my desktop its Hyperspaces that has to go, too bad hmm

Green green SuperGreen

March 3, 2009 6:44 pm
vstevie777

vstevie777

Tinkerer

from British Columbia, Canada
11 posts

orangehat wrote:

I was using early beta's of this app, and really, really liked it. I was just hanging on for a while to put out the $$, and now I don't have to! smile

Same thing with me, it adds the functionality that was missing from apple's default spaces! Thank you Macheist!

--
Go Green Monkeys!

March 3, 2009 7:41 pm
AquaDan

AquaDan

Automaton Tech

from Monster Island
274 posts

OK, so I must be an idiot. I've got it downloaded, but I don't see anything when I run it.  Nothing in the doc or menubar. Where is it???

I see it when I run ps, so I know it's loaded.

March 3, 2009 8:04 pm
mooseworks

mooseworks

Automaton Tech

from Manchester UK
350 posts

I love this app, so much better than spacesuit!!

thanks, its awesome

Heist4E wrote:

Seems like though this would be a nice app to use its nothing for me since I cant have different backgrounds if Im also using DeskShade and since DeskShade is doing an excelent job covering over all those files thats made a permanent home on my desktop its Hyperspaces that has to go, too bad hmm

I have a single folder on my desktop called desktop tidy - holds all the files that would otherwise be scattered, maybe you should try it!!

http://www.mooseworks.co.uk/
http://blog.alexgreen.co.uk/
http://www.alexgreen.co.uk/

March 3, 2009 8:08 pm
kongobongo

kongobongo

Automaton Tech

443 posts

Although I have space suit on my mac still, I think I'll stick with hyperspaces for now.
Different backgrounds are really essential for me, otherwise I loose track of what space I am on, even though there is a little number in the menu bar.

Plastic Fish Never Die

March 3, 2009 8:38 pm
Heist4E

Heist4E

Automaton Tech

from Sweden-Cold as ice
210 posts

mooseworks wrote:

I love this app, so much better than spacesuit!!

thanks, its awesome

Heist4E wrote:

I have a single folder on my desktop called desktop tidy - holds all the files that would otherwise be scattered, maybe you should try it!!

I actually have one folder like that but its actually a hidden DragThing dock with one folder (a bit hard to explain). I guess I should move everything else on the desktop into it or maybee create a second one since its most likely that I have duplicate named files ie nameless-1,nameless-2...etc. Its mostly screendumps...

Green green SuperGreen

March 3, 2009 9:06 pm
muya

muya

Automaton Tech

from San Diego, CA
267 posts

wow. i just installed this and it's awesome! thanks!

Grim Statistic #43 - 100% of all heroin addicts start out on milk.
http://www.macheist.com/bundle/u/31116/

March 3, 2009 9:22 pm
Heist4E

Heist4E

Automaton Tech

from Sweden-Cold as ice
210 posts

just added a second folder to my hidden DragThing-dock and dragged over every file on my desktop. Thanks mooseworks for making me do this it was long overdue smile.

Green green SuperGreen

March 3, 2009 9:30 pm
dan.palmer

dan.palmer

Automaton Tech

from UK
314 posts

I really like this app and I would use it, but I have no use for it. Spaces does everything I want it to do. I can switch easily, I have everything set up for maximum productivity and I am very picky about my desktop backgrounds so they would all be the same anyway. Also, I have so much open at one time that I can never see the labels on the desktop. I usually have 9 spaces completely filled with at least 2 apps/windows open in each and most of those are relatively high-end apps.

Follow me on Twitter
See where I am online

March 3, 2009 11:25 pm
python29

python29

Gearhead

from SoCal
64 posts

someone mentioned in another thread the high memory usage.  so I checked. holy cow!
Hyperspace is using almost as much as Photoshop CS3.
what is the deal?

March 4, 2009 1:08 am
Dr. Nuke

Dr. Nuke

Gearhead

from IL
58 posts

Maybe I'm dense, but I can't figure out an easy way to use a "stock" apple background on a hyperspace desktop. It seems you have to try to navigate through the labyrinth of /system files to get there directly.  Royal PITA. I also am frustrated by the white screen of death with any image from my photo library.  The standard Spaces doesn't seem to have a problem with a multi megapixel image...

That, and the crippling effect this app has on my laptop's performance means I'll stick with the Spaces.app until the 1.0 version comes out.

I DO appreciate the effort Tony has put into the app, but it just doesn't help *my* productivity.  Hopefully that will change by 1.0.

▛▞▞▟Proud Member of the BLUE team▛▞▞▟
I

March 4, 2009 1:34 am
python29

python29

Gearhead

from SoCal
64 posts

The pictures that came with the OS are in /Library/Desktop Pictures/

March 4, 2009 2:17 am
cozza

cozza

Tinkerer

from Geelong, Victoria, Australia
16 posts

I love this app just for adding one feature that spaces is missing. The ability to create hotkeys to switch directly to spaces beyond space 9. I use 12 spaces and use ctrl-[1-9] to get navigate the first 9. Now with this app I use ctrl+0 to get to space 10 and ctrl+shift+[1-2] for 11 and 12.

I'm pretty sure I'll be buying version 1.0 just for this feature.

_____
neutral Cozza.

March 4, 2009 3:41 am
tonyarnold

tonyarnold

Gearhead

69 posts

python29 wrote:

someone mentioned in another thread the high memory usage.  so I checked. holy cow!
Hyperspace is using almost as much as Photoshop CS3.
what is the deal?

Core animation is the deal. Short story is that using CALayers in your application is very expensive memory-wise. I'm working on it, but I'm not sure I'll be able to lower it without dropping core animation.

March 4, 2009 3:54 am
philoxoxy

philoxoxy

Automaton Tech

from Montreal
255 posts

I was hoping this one would find it's way into the bundle. All the better that it made its way into the loot!

CleanMyMac and BarTender were the reasons I bought the bundle Please use my referral code: http://macheist.com/bundle/t/639742

Dropbox Referral: Get 2GB of Storage + 500MB Bonus by clicking on the link below:
http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTExNTMzMDI0OQ

March 4, 2009 4:11 am
Eggbert

Eggbert

Sky Pirate

from Canada
1,226 posts

Hey, tony, nice job with this. Any chance of seeing the impact space switching in the future? Also, sometimes the backgrounds get locked up and it needs to reboot. Overall, it is a definitive WIN. smile

March 4, 2009 5:19 am
tonyarnold

tonyarnold

Gearhead

69 posts

Loving the love that's going on around my little app - thanks for all the feedback and kind words guys!

March 4, 2009 8:41 am
DDA_04

DDA_04

Tinkerer

23 posts

Hey Tony,

I had an idea of something that could be really useful in Hyperspaces. However, I don't know if it is doable (probably not).

It wouldbe great if it was possible to have different spaces on each screen when running in an extended desktop config. I'd love to be able to have (e.g.) Space 1 on my laptop screen and any other space on the external monitor.

It is probably not doable, but I just tought I'd share ;-) (let me know if I wasn't clear enough)

March 4, 2009 9:03 am
MacHeist Forums » The Apps » Hyperspaces (Mission 2)

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?