Forums

Scribbles (Mission 3)

MacHeist Forums » The Apps » Scribbles (Mission 3)
phillryu

phillryu

Administrator

1,569 posts

This is for discussing Scribbles, a really cool simple drawing app with a more radical take on its UI. (One of the coolest features is its 3D visualization of an image's layers.)

To note, Loren's also the developer of Tweetie for iPhone which is great. Feel free to leave feedback, questions, etc. in this thread, I'll be emailing this to the developer.

Co-Creator of MacHeist, Clear, Partner at tap tap tap | follow me on twitter

March 21, 2009 2:08 am
Chriswan

Chriswan

Sky Pirate

from Jakarta, Indonesia
1,194 posts

Already got this long time ago from MUPromo. But still a nice loot for everybody else...

Can't wait for the cool new stuff said to be released soon

Thanks a Lot

March 21, 2009 4:41 am
soushiruiuma

soushiruiuma

Big Game Hunter

from Switzerland
579 posts

Looks like a really fun little toy. Anyone have a use for this besides just playing around?

He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which. ~Douglas Adams

March 21, 2009 5:40 am
fr0stbyt

fr0stbyt

Automaton Tech

from Ridgeland, MS
468 posts

I've been wanting a tablet for a long, long time and just haven't gotten of the mind to actually order one.

This application is so freaking cool.  I'm ordering a tablet from Amazon.com just to enjoy this app even more.

Thanks guys!

Twitter | Get Dropbox

March 21, 2009 5:43 am
Seshan

Seshan

Automaton Tech

195 posts

Love this app, It's fun to just mess around with a tablet.

Wooooo!

March 21, 2009 5:44 am
Rychy

Rychy

Automaton Tech

from Washington
301 posts

I already have a tablet... I guess I'll give it a try later, it looks like a neat little app.

Setup: Mac Pro 2.8 Octo, 6GB RAM, 8800GT  l  iPhone 3GS
Currently Watching: Lie To Me, 30 Rock
Currently Playing: Mass Effect 2
Awaiting: Final Fantasy XIII, Kingdom Hearts III

March 21, 2009 5:47 am
Anomaly112

Anomaly112

Gearhead

53 posts

Nice thought, but I don't see a practical use for it, especially if I've already got Photoshop and Corel Painter.

I admit the Tracing Paper feature was kinda cool. Other than that...meh...

March 21, 2009 6:13 am
iamcarlo

iamcarlo

Automaton Tech

138 posts

I bought Scribbles a while ago too. @Anomaly112 This is a Vector Painting program which is not like Photoshop or Corel Painter which are primarily Raster programs. It’s more like Adobe Illustrator in that you can scale the lines as much as you want and they will retain their integrity. It’s simplicity and speed keeps one from getting bogged down in the interface. I do wish, however that there were a greater variety of brushes.

Of particular note, you can rotate, zoom, or move each separate layer very easily or use the grabber tool to select all layers and move them together -- talk about simplicity. No pull down menus here. Also, just in case you miss it, there is an opacity slider on the upper right side of the layer window which is handy for doing your under drawing.

Personally I use Scribbles when teaching children how to draw. The interface is very simple and the ease of creating layers makes it easy to color the layer below.

Make sure to look at the Keyboard Shortcuts in Help (which unfortunately has to be dismissed before you can continue drawing so you might want to make a Screen Grab of it and open it in Preview).

Wherever you go, there you are.
▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

March 21, 2009 6:49 am
SoupBack

SoupBack

Tinkerer

17 posts

I really like this one.  Cheers!

March 21, 2009 7:13 am
izdale

izdale

Sky Pirate

from the U.S.
1,766 posts

It seems that you can enter your email more than once into the page to get your serial for this app, and it gave me a different serial than the first time.  I did that because I never got the email and thought it would send it again, but instead it gave me another serial.  That should be fixed so that an email can only be used once.

Find deals on Mac apps at Mac App Deals

March 21, 2009 7:20 am
WebKarnage

WebKarnage

Big Game Hunter

from UK
776 posts

I was considering buying this, decision no longer necessary! This a very cool program. Try giving it to a creative youngster (my 6 year old for example) with a tablet if you have one, and the results are amazing and inspiring for the kid too.

Superb program.

The Optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds, the Pessimist fears this is true.

March 21, 2009 7:20 am
Maxis

Maxis

Tinkerer

from Helsinki
29 posts

I LOVE THIS APP!
It's great just what I've been searching for, I bought Wacom Bamboo about month ago and I didn't have any good program with draw (Photoshop isn't good if you want draw)

Home page
"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice."
"War does not tell who is right, only who is left."

March 21, 2009 7:32 am
Jitsusama

Jitsusama

Tinkerer

from Ontario Canada
11 posts

It makes it so much fun to draw, even without a tablet. Honestly, I haven't really used any of the other apps to much so far, but this one is definitely a keeper. Grooviness!

March 21, 2009 7:49 am
Chriswan

Chriswan

Sky Pirate

from Jakarta, Indonesia
1,194 posts

izdale wrote:

It seems that you can enter your email more than once into the page to get your serial for this app, and it gave me a different serial than the first time.  I did that because I never got the email and thought it would send it again, but instead it gave me another serial.  That should be fixed so that an email can only be used once.

I did the same thing... with the same intention and the same result

Thanks a Lot

March 21, 2009 8:25 am
mil

mil

Sky Pirate

1,273 posts

Scribbles is awesome!!! It's one of those easy to use and lightweight apps that question the wisdom of opening any other program for quick drawing. It has layers!!!

SpiderOak - get an additional 1GB space for free when you sign up from this link. I'm late to the SpiderOak referral party. big_smile

March 21, 2009 8:36 am
scrivens

scrivens

Big Game Hunter

from Australia
539 posts

The layers make this stand out. A very useful little app for quickly doing title jpgs. Hadn't come across it before, so a good inclusion in the loot.

"Yes," said Piglet, "Rabbit has Brain". There was a long silence. "I suppose," said Pooh, "that that's why he never understands anything."

March 21, 2009 10:47 am
ddemeo

ddemeo

Automaton Tech

from Massachusetts
336 posts

This is awesome.  Someone mentioned it in chat recently so I had to check it out.  I have Photoshop, Illustrator, etc., but sometimes I just don't want to use such a beefy program.  I'm happy to add this little app to my arsenal!

Dawn | Dawn's Recipes

March 21, 2009 11:14 am
el gringo

el gringo

Automaton Tech

from Cardiff, UK
213 posts

Best MH3 loot yet IMO!

Beautiful and elegant interface, simple and focused controls (gotta love that move/rotate/scale overlay) and the best registration code ever! (Assuming yours was similar to mine and had featured words such as cake, macheist and happy!) Am chowing down as I type... smile

Thankyou MH and atebits for introducing me to this wonderful little app!

March 21, 2009 11:52 am

gheys

Urchin

2 posts

I'm not seeing this in my loot.

March 21, 2009 12:00 pm
SmrtPnts

SmrtPnts

Tinkerer

32 posts

This one looks cool, one of the most interesting loot items so far.

Blue?

March 21, 2009 12:01 pm
cypher

cypher

Automaton Tech

from UK
478 posts

A big well done to atebits this a great little app with a really brilliant Interface and its so easy to use.

March 21, 2009 12:16 pm
notyoubutme

notyoubutme

Automaton Tech

from Land of the windmills
374 posts

Looks like fun..
Till now I found the loot for the Nano's in most cases more valuble to me..
This one might make the exeption..

March 21, 2009 12:26 pm
tjensen

tjensen

Automaton Tech

from CT, USA
111 posts

Of all the loot this is the only one that I was actually considering buying (although I really like ShoveBox and Process). Looks great for doing sketches and markups. Now my daughter wants it. I will have to sign her up for MacHeist. Thanks.

and I just remembered that it was on my list for what apps do you want in MH3 bundle. One down, nine to go!

March 21, 2009 12:30 pm
cmason

cmason

Sky Pirate

from Toronto, Canada
1,344 posts

This looks like a cool and great program, but unfortunately, as good as it may be, no program can overcome my severely limited drawing and artistic skills.  smile

March 21, 2009 1:10 pm
Scandalous

Scandalous

Sky Pirate

1,528 posts

Yes, it works okay with a tablet. For a lightweight app it's very good. Thanks MH;

Click DropBox to sync files online & across your computers for FREE + receive an additional 250 MB.

March 21, 2009 1:26 pm
iDarbert

iDarbert

Big Game Hunter

from Lost Town
700 posts

It's... OK I guess... but I'll stick to Painter.

March 21, 2009 1:41 pm
DerBoss

DerBoss

Sky Pirate

from Germany
1,067 posts

looks interesting, gonna give it a chance.

Click here to get Dropbox Storage for free + additional 250 MB

March 21, 2009 1:44 pm
jashsayani

jashsayani

Automaton Tech

from Salt Lake City, UT, USA
110 posts

Nice app. Though I am an intensive Photoshop user, this app can be cool for having fun!

BTW, the developer of this app is also the dev. of Tweetie for iPhone!  You guys should have given a choice of either this app or Tweetie (For iPhone owners)... AppStore now supports coupon codes.

My Blog | Twitter | Skype

March 21, 2009 1:52 pm
hsbork

hsbork

Gearhead

from quaqua
66 posts

I doubt I will use this app much, since I don't have a tablet; nevertheless, I think the interface and controls are amazing and very elegant.  It's really nice to see a developer moving beyond the palette-metaphor that is so common in other drawing programs.  To me, this program feels very advanced and intuitive.  It almost makes me want to buy a tablet...

me iuvat in prima coluisse Helicona iuventa
Musarumque choris implicuisse manus

March 21, 2009 2:18 pm
delano

delano

Automaton Tech

from Alabama
462 posts

I had never heard of Scribbles before, but thanks to Macheist I have it, and love it.  It is so much fun.  I'm actually in need of being able to draw a map for a book, and was looking at some programs to help me draw one; but they are much too expensive for a single use.  I'm a happy camper right now!

There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who read binary; and those who don't.

March 21, 2009 2:19 pm
melheist

melheist

Sky Pirate

from Atlantis
1,741 posts

I don't believe it was made to take the place of anything like Painter, but I can't wait to try it. I already have a tablet and I'm looking forward to having some fun!

Of course I'm a mermaid... what did you think? roll

March 21, 2009 4:35 pm
mattjlew

mattjlew

Tinkerer

16 posts

Love this simple app. I also like it when you can automatically resize it. I don't know if you can do that in corel?

The 3D UI is amazing, and it is just for this little simple painting software. The developer did a good job!

Thanks MacHeist!

I heard the tree fall.

March 21, 2009 5:11 pm
yuetgoo

yuetgoo

Automaton Tech

from PA
419 posts

I really am enjoying this right now!  Neat app for me to experiment wit; fun and addictive!

true karma

March 21, 2009 6:00 pm
macwitty

macwitty

Big Game Hunter

from Stockholm, Sweden
920 posts

I'll give it a try - it looks very nice
Maybe it can get me to put my hand on the tablet we have in the office

Get DropBox - 2 GB + 250 MB for free

March 21, 2009 6:12 pm

tatiana1

Urchin

3 posts

where can I get Scribbles and Istock? thanks

March 21, 2009 6:19 pm
Flint182

Flint182

Gearhead

from London, UK
76 posts

Great app, thanks .. feels smooth even using a mouse.

Repeat after me: I am not a pleasure unit.
Get a Free DropBox with BONUS space - http://tr.im/hDLg

March 21, 2009 6:21 pm
flec65

flec65

Big Game Hunter

from Montréal QC
504 posts

Looking forward to try this neat little app with my new tablet. The kids might like it too. smile

March 21, 2009 6:28 pm
raggedrobin

raggedrobin

Gearhead

97 posts

tatiana1 wrote:

where can I get Scribbles and Istock? thanks

You need to complete  Mission  3 - click on "Briefings" at the top of the page to get started. If you need help, here is a walk-through to help you along.
Once you've finished, the applications will show up in your loot (also linked at the top of the page)

Welcome to MacHeist!

\0/
                )(
               /  \

March 21, 2009 7:04 pm
Gizmometer

Gizmometer

Tinkerer

from Chicago
18 posts

I'm a long time Scribbles user and I really love it.  If you have a good tablet it makes working out your ideas simply and quickly.  I use it to mock up interfaces and to diagram my thinking.  Sometimes I prefer Scribbles, other times I prefer AUtoDesk Sketchbook, and sometimes I prefer to just use real paper.  But I love how quickly I can sketch out an idea in Scribbles.  Great inclusion!

0 / 2 Referrals.

March 21, 2009 7:07 pm
degaunte

degaunte

Tinkerer

from australia
26 posts

GREAT STUFF

Blue thou art, intensely blue; Flower, whence came thy dazzling hue?

March 21, 2009 7:48 pm
sangheeta

sangheeta

Automaton Tech

from ~Milky Way/Earth/France/Paris
170 posts

Since a long time I would buy Scribbles, so Big thanks to Atebits Software & MacHeist.
Scribbles is great!

…I believe I can fly……… I believe I can touch the sky…
Get DROPBOX 2GB online storage and 250MB extra free here…

March 21, 2009 7:50 pm
eleonooore

eleonooore

Gearhead

from Paris, France
69 posts

Looks like this one will stick around for a while. Very nice app, simple, quick and powerful enough for my needs in that area.
Thanks ! smile

Go Green Monkeys!

March 21, 2009 8:50 pm
Jottce

Jottce

Tinkerer

from Germany
17 posts

I've tried Scribbles before, but I never got around to buying it. Now I'll definitely give it a closer look. I take the free apps here as extended trial periods, really. Excellent idea for the developers.

To make a prairie it takes a clover and one bee, / One clover, and a bee, / And revery. / The revery alone will do   
If bees are few. (Emily Dickinson, FR 1779)

March 21, 2009 9:22 pm
Jottce

Jottce

Tinkerer

from Germany
17 posts

Gizmometer wrote:

I'm a long time Scribbles user and I really love it.  If you have a good tablet it makes working out your ideas simply and quickly.  I use it to mock up interfaces and to diagram my thinking.  Sometimes I prefer Scribbles, other times I prefer AUtoDesk Sketchbook, and sometimes I prefer to just use real paper.  But I love how quickly I can sketch out an idea in Scribbles.  Great inclusion!

I've never thought of using scribbles as a sort of mind-mapping application. What a great idea, thanks Gizmometer!

To make a prairie it takes a clover and one bee, / One clover, and a bee, / And revery. / The revery alone will do   
If bees are few. (Emily Dickinson, FR 1779)

March 21, 2009 9:23 pm
phillip.hahn

phillip.hahn

Automaton Tech

from Germany
159 posts

I've tried the app - and it looks really interesting. Is there a way to share files between Scribbles and Photoshop or Illustrator (and backwards)?

Team Green Monkeys™: "It's monkey business!!!"

March 21, 2009 9:29 pm
nmohling

nmohling

Tinkerer

from Lincoln Nebraska
22 posts

This seems like a much better version of paint for mac.

Nathan Mohling

March 21, 2009 9:36 pm

tatiana1

Urchin

3 posts

how do I get Scribbles? thanks...:-)

March 21, 2009 9:37 pm
mpeirce

mpeirce

Automaton Tech

from Tropical England
130 posts

@tatiana1 - you must do mission 3 of MH - check 'briefings' and get started.  Lots of help in the backroom.

Sanity is the playground of the unimaginative - love it!

March 21, 2009 9:56 pm
Speshal Crayon

Speshal Crayon

Gearhead

90 posts

I like this. I probably won't use it much though, as I don't have a tablet and using a mouse is pretty awkward. sad

Twitter. Hi!

March 21, 2009 10:08 pm
cifweb

cifweb

Gearhead

from sweden
66 posts

This might be my excuse to buy a tablet something I have been thinking about for a while

March 21, 2009 10:12 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Apps » Scribbles (Mission 3)

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?