Forums

Official Walkthrough for Heist 3 (Spoilers!)

MacHeist Forums » The Backroom » Official Walkthrough for Heist 3 (Spoilers!)
phillryu

phillryu

Administrator

1,569 posts

Separated this from the official thread to make things a bit more clearer. Big thanks to Nollid07 for writing this:

OK, I'm (Nollid07) commandeering this post.  This is a full rundown of heist #3:
It is spoiler'd, so select to read it.  This way you can spoil things one step at a time tongue

Step #1 wrote:

[color=f1f1f1]
        On the briefing, the four images can be described as such:
        Bass+d        In      2      states
        Based in two states.
        [www.basedintwostates.com][/color]

Step #2 wrote:

[color=f1f1f1][www.basedintwostates.com] has this to say about the heist:[/color]

[color=f1f1f1]        0100110001101111
        0110010101100100[/color]

[color=f1f1f1]        This translate from binary says:
        lookbeyondthered[/color]

Step #3 wrote:

[color=f1f1f1]lookbeyondthered.com
        brings up a site that shows a picture from your isight if you have one.  If you don't it it gives you this link:
        [http://lookbeyondthered.com/ghettoSight.zip]
        download that for use later[/color]

[color=f1f1f1]        it also shows this text at the bottom:[/color]

[color=f1f1f1]        no em nrut
        sthgil                 =Pulsing lights turn me on
        gnislup[/color]

Step #4 wrote:

[color=f1f1f1]
Pulsing lights turn me on = turn pulsing digits to one, non-pulsing to 0[/color]

[color=f1f1f1]        So go back to basedintwostates.com[/color]

[color=f1f1f1]        0010111011110110
        1000011000001010[/color]

[color=f1f1f1]        A second message on lookbeyondthered.com after a refresh or two:[/color]

[color=f1f1f1]        noitcerid rehto eht
        ni sgniht ta kool
        ot deen ew semitemos[/color]

[color=f1f1f1]                Sometimes we need to look at things in the other direction[/color]

[color=f1f1f1]        Go back to the binary and reverse it:[/color]

[color=f1f1f1]        0101000001100001
        0110111101110100[/color]

[color=f1f1f1]        pastapalebluedot[/color]

Step #5 wrote:

[color=f1f1f1]
pastapalebluedot.com[/color]

[color=f1f1f1]        title: "What would Messier do?"[/color]

[color=f1f1f1]        using the list of messier objects on wikipedia:
        [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Messier_objects][/color]

[color=f1f1f1]        Whirlpool Galaxy - M51
        Dumbbell Nebula - M27
        Cigar Galaxy - M82
        Owl Nebula - M97
        Sunflower Galaxy - M63[/color]

[color=f1f1f1]        5127829763 is a skype number[/color]

Step #6 wrote:

[color=f1f1f1]
Call the number, the message is this:
        "Find the image tagged the scarlet letter. Use something delicious if you need help."[/color]

Step #7 wrote:

[color=f1f1f1]
[http://del.icio.us/search/?fr=del_icio_ … r&type=all][/color]

[color=f1f1f1]        the first link is a flickr page:
        [http://www.flickr.com/photos/77967712@N … otostream/][/color]

[color=f1f1f1]        print the picture with the red dots, go back to lookbeyondthered.com then hold it up to your iSight.[/color]

THE CODE wrote:

[color=f1f1f1]1931[/color]

Co-Creator of MacHeist, Clear, Partner at tap tap tap | follow me on twitter

December 1, 2006 2:10 am
artist-illustrator.net

artist-illustrator.net

Dirigible Captain

from Manchester, UK
3,027 posts

wow, it looks so simple when its all laid out in front of you like that.

I still say that the pic of the door and the arrow was totally the wrong pic to use for the word 'in' It had me stumped for ages!!! How about a cup with an arrow pointing 'in' to it

my struggles aside, what a great heist!!!

I tilt my hat to all involved in the planning

thank you for a most enjoyable afternoon smile

http://www.artist-illustrator.net/posters/lennon.jpg
http://www.artist-illustrator.net/posters/dylan.jpg

I'm feeling old

December 1, 2006 2:17 am
geoffb

geoffb

Urchin

from New York City
8 posts

Great heist, nice clear walkthrough.

Just a couple of corrections/additions:

Step #3: lookbeyondthered.com actually has three different messages (keep refreshing to see all three). The one you forgot to mention, when read from right to left, bottom to top, is: "pulsing lights turn into one."

Step #5: You can call that number from any phone, not just through Skype. Alternatively, you can skype to Macheist (I found that out, just by dumb luck, before I had figured out the number).

Step #6: The phone/skype message is slightly different from what you wrote. It says: "Find the image tagged the scarlet letter. Use something delicious if you need help."

Loot can be nice, but it's the heists themselves that are my fave...

December 1, 2006 2:41 am
kevinsmith

kevinsmith

Tinkerer

from Beijing, China
15 posts

Rating: V.E.R.Y. H.A.R.D.

The Weifang Radish
Life in China. Roots in Weifang.

December 1, 2006 2:47 am

alej744

Sky Pirate

from Miami
1,813 posts

Grrrr! TOO HARD.

It makes me feel like a complete douchebag that I could not even get to basedintwostates.com

I suck at these heists but I really love how the whole official thread acts like one big brain working together. So I don't just find the code to cheat, I read the whole 20 pages of brainstorming and walk-through.

Thank you for an amazing heist and two great apps. (-$2.00 discount, too)

December 1, 2006 2:58 am
Nollid07

Nollid07

Automaton Tech

from Michigan
248 posts

geoffb wrote:

Great heist, nice clear walkthrough.

Just a couple of corrections/additions:

Step #3: lookbeyondthered.com actually has three different messages (keep refreshing to see all three). The one you forgot to mention, when read from right to left, bottom to top, is: "pulsing lights turn into one."

it just rephrased the other one, so I didn't put it in smile

geoffb wrote:

Step #5: You can call that number from any phone, not just through Skype. Alternatively, you can skype to Macheist (I found that out, just by dumb luck, before I had figured out the number).

Step #6: The phone/skype message is slightly different from what you wrote. It says: "Find the image tagged the scarlet letter. Use something delicious if you need help."

Fixed.

Sweet.

December 1, 2006 3:47 am
R031E5

R031E5

Tinkerer

34 posts

Well, please let me congratulate the directorate for making such a hard-to-do and pleasant heist!

I got stuck in the pastapalebluedot.com site and had to come over here (well actually I was reading the 24 pages long original post).

December 1, 2006 3:49 am
Mike

Mike

Automaton Tech

from Arlington, VA
384 posts

I don't understand how you could decipher the Flickr image if you, in fact, had an iSight camera.  If you had an iSight camera, you never would have known about the ghettoisight program and not been able to see the hidden message in the picture (for the most part).  Could someone help me out?

December 1, 2006 3:58 am
pilotN46370

pilotN46370

Automaton Tech

from Kansas
148 posts

Mike wrote:

I don't understand how you could decipher the Flickr image if you, in fact, had an iSight camera.  If you had an iSight camera, you never would have known about the ghettoisight program and not been able to see the hidden message in the picture (for the most part).  Could someone help me out?

If you had an iSight camera you could have printed the picture and held it up in front of the camera, or if your camera is not built into your monitor, you could just point the iSight at the screen of the computer on it.  This would also have reversed the text for you to make it easier to read.  Either way it still used the same red filter as the ghettoisight program.

Go Team Orange!

December 1, 2006 4:07 am

grahamcase

Tinkerer

from Newfoundland
10 posts

Mike wrote:

Alternatively, if you have an external iSight:

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/975/picture2dm5.th.png

[img]http://macheist.com/forums/img/avatars/25171.png[/img]

December 1, 2006 4:11 am
cheerful

cheerful

Big Game Hunter

from Antarctica
500 posts

Thank you our dear friends for the full walk thru'.  Easier to read than the other post.

Penguin in the ArcticZOT

December 1, 2006 4:14 am
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

Much thanks.

Website | Twitter

December 1, 2006 4:33 am
step

step

Sky Pirate

from Georgia, US
1,787 posts

btw, I did the heist on my P.C. (work), then just now ran through it on my Mac.  It's amazing how much easier stuff is to do on the Mac - something like this just plain wouldn't fly on PCs, for many different reasons.  One example - opening the letter at the end took several steps on my PC, just a moment ago on my Mac it took me one step and all of 2 seconds or less. 

Amazing. 

Oh yeah, the Heist was completely mind-blowing awesome too.  big_smile

I wish I would have had time to write up a full spoiler - hopefully the next one.  I would have broken it up into about 20 sections though, starting with gentle hints before spelling out the answer for each section.  Almost like a video game walkthrough or guide.  Maybe for the next ones . . .

Whistle while you work.  Patience is key.

December 1, 2006 4:34 am
Mike

Mike

Automaton Tech

from Arlington, VA
384 posts

Thanks graham and pilot

December 1, 2006 4:35 am

dextermania

Urchin

6 posts

this was freaking good! i've played such online games before but never as elaborate and mindboggling awesome as this! nice heist guys!

i had to use the walkthrough coz i got stuck somewhere.. plus i was slow enough to start AFTER it was broken.. thank goodness i didnt just jump to the end for the code.. smile

December 1, 2006 7:31 am
miklb

miklb

Tinkerer

22 posts

And for those without an iSight, the Look Beyond the Red App that was linked can be opened, which creates a red filter that can be dragged over the flickr image to reveal the code, which was in Spanish, and needed to be read backwards to get the code.

December 1, 2006 8:33 am
archipenko

archipenko

Big Game Hunter

769 posts

i liked it a lot.... i think the harder... the more fun! tongue

there are always some smarties who have the answer.. (i hope) wink

rocks & socks

December 1, 2006 8:34 am

Niccofyren

Urchin

3 posts

A very nice heist indeed, but I experienced a very annoying problem with step 3. I have an intel macbook pro (the newest modell) and I neither got an Isight picture or a link on the lookbeyondthered webpage. So in order to get the application I had to look at the forums for help in getting the url to "ghettoSight.zip". Altough not a critical problem it was still very annoying.

Anyway, thanks for another fantastic heist.

December 1, 2006 3:54 pm
DIMEBAG

DIMEBAG

Gearhead

from The nether regions of Ohio
84 posts

…pretty sneaky sis'

I THINKS YER PURDY!!!

December 1, 2006 3:59 pm

ruMac

Urchin

1 posts

Hummm. Looks like Lisa is in China too according to the letter in the vault.

December 1, 2006 4:45 pm
ij00mini

ij00mini

Gearhead

61 posts

ruMac wrote:

Hummm. Looks like Lisa is in China too according to the letter in the vault.

Care to back that up?

December 1, 2006 6:22 pm
whiplash

whiplash

Tinkerer

from Orange County, CA
11 posts

Lat & Long at the end of her letter in the vault.

December 1, 2006 7:45 pm

Mad_mac

Urchin

2 posts

Yeah, she's Somewhere In China.

If I'm not mistaken

December 1, 2006 10:59 pm
Dkovalak

Dkovalak

Automaton Tech

from 43° 7'50.93"N 85°40'44.67"W
442 posts

Thanks a bunch for the walkthrough!    (clever use of highlighting to reveal... this worked great for me because I could just highlight it when I got stuck!)

I have to admit though.... the bass+d and the arrow in the door threw me way off.... lol

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” -Albert Einstein

December 2, 2006 12:00 am

Kimi

Tinkerer

29 posts

One problem I had with this. I've got an iSight on my iMac, but no printer. There was no way I could have done this with out help. Unless I've missed something.

December 4, 2006 3:25 pm
centrino6

centrino6

Urchin

8 posts

Kimi wrote:

One problem I had with this. I've got an iSight on my iMac, but no printer. There was no way I could have done this with out help. Unless I've missed something.

Here is one way to solve the final step without a printer:
The image caption says: If you can get past all the red, you may find this one to be pleasing overall. So, what you need to do is filter the red color out. Download the picture and open it using Preview. Any other image processing application will probably work as well, but Preview is available on every Mac. Now, choose Tools->Image correction. Click on the "white-point" button, and use the sliders to set Green and Blue to "0". For better clarity, click on the "black-point" button, and this time change the red slider to 128 (leaving the other two at 0). Finally, since this is the motto of this heist, reverse the image (Tools->Flip Horizontally).

http://lh4.google.com/image/yehudab/RXSKOxAwRtI/AAAAAAAAAOE/htpoJnhQV8c/s288/heist3.jpg

December 4, 2006 8:55 pm

rdoggett

Urchin

1 posts

You don't actually need a printer.  All you need is to aim the iSight at your monitor with the image displayed.  Worked like a charm for me, but alas... only after the mission had already expired.  You can also read it with a pair of those 3-d red/blue glasses, looking through only the red eye, and reading backwards.

December 5, 2006 9:35 am
centrino6

centrino6

Urchin

8 posts

rdoggett wrote:

All you need is to aim the iSight at your monitor with the image displayed.

This does not work with the iMac's built in iSight...

December 5, 2006 10:12 am
archipenko

archipenko

Big Game Hunter

769 posts

centrino6 wrote:
rdoggett wrote:

All you need is to aim the iSight at your monitor with the image displayed.

This does not work with the iMac's built in iSight...

hahahahgaga. no really, i'd like to see u try. tongue tee hee.

wait.... i just realised... u could prolly use a mirror. no?

rocks & socks

December 5, 2006 10:26 am
centrino6

centrino6

Urchin

8 posts

archipenko wrote:

This will, however, reverse the mirror effect of the QT movie.

December 5, 2006 10:33 am

Kimi

Tinkerer

29 posts

centrino6 wrote:
Kimi wrote:

Here is one way to solve the final step without a printer:
The image caption says: If you can get past all the red, you may find this one to be pleasing overall. So, what you need to do is filter the red color out. Download the picture and open it using Preview. Any other image processing application will probably work as well, but Preview is available on every Mac. Now, choose Tools->Image correction. Click on the "white-point" button, and use the sliders to set Green and Blue to "0". For better clarity, click on the "black-point" button, and this time change the red slider to 128 (leaving the other two at 0). Finally, since this is the motto of this heist, reverse the image (Tools->Flip Horizontally).

http://lh4.google.com/image/yehudab/RXS … heist3.jpg

Ah, I should have worked that out. You'd think messing about in Fireworks for so long doing just that I would hace worked it out, but no I missed it...

December 5, 2006 4:07 pm

Kimi

Tinkerer

29 posts

archipenko wrote:

I couldn't. I don't have any mirrors.

December 5, 2006 4:09 pm

Tomovich

Urchin

8 posts

How come the code doesn't work for me? I just tried it...

December 6, 2006 1:20 pm
centrino6

centrino6

Urchin

8 posts

Tomovich wrote:

How come the code doesn't work for me? I just tried it...

Because Heist 3 is over. You'll have to wait for mission 4.

December 6, 2006 2:18 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Backroom » Official Walkthrough for Heist 3 (Spoilers!)

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?