Forums

★ Times

MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ Times
hamishmacdonald

hamishmacdonald

Tinkerer

from Wick, Scotland
41 posts

This app is growing on me, now that I've figured out how to customise the pages. The one real pain in the neck, though, is its inscrutable way of marking new items. ONE post and category get marked as new, even though there are updates on several pages. I have no idea what the thinking behind this is.

What I'd like to see instead:
- Green dots on *all* fresh posts, black text on unread posts, grey text on read posts.
- The ability to "MARK ALL AS READ". This is fundamental to the program being useful as a reader, yet doesn't seem to be implemented in any way.

- Hamish MacDonald
http://www.hamishmacdonald.com

April 7, 2009 1:18 pm

suomichris

Automaton Tech

222 posts

I think I have to retract my previous praise of this app.  Although it is beautiful, and I like the overall idea, the fact that it doesn't keep the most-recently updated threads at the top, and doesn't automatically expand the space a feed takes up to show everything new, basically defeats the point of RSS.  I mean, the idea of a feed is so you don't have to trawl through a website looking for articles you might have missed: you get the new stuff delivered, it goes away once read.  But Times mostly ends up being like the website—you have to pick around to find what you haven't read, and may well miss a bunch of stuff.

I think this app has a lot of promise, but just isn't there yet...

April 7, 2009 4:47 pm
JoelMarcey

JoelMarcey

Automaton Tech

from Northern California
168 posts

Great potential for this app...

The one major flaw that I have seen is that it crashes like clockwork when importing feeds from Safari -- (anyone get this to work correctly?)

But, the dev contacted me directly when I sent him a bug report and is on the issue. That is awesome!

If you are so inclined, you can follow me on Twitter

April 7, 2009 5:21 pm
mhedstrom

mhedstrom

Tinkerer

from Denver, CO
39 posts

I have to agree with suomichris. I tried this app, and used it throughout the day, and had a horrible time figuring out what was new, and what wasn't. This app has a lot of potential, but it's not quite there yet. I'm guessing it's great if you don't have a lot of feeds that don't get updated that often, but for me it's not going to work.

▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

April 7, 2009 5:21 pm
om3ga777

om3ga777

Automaton Tech

112 posts

Can anybody explain the following to me?

"Times can download articles and photos from websites that do not provide full content in their feeds."

How do I do that? Clicking on a feed just shows me the "normal" content of a feed, not the whole story. I have some feeds without full content and so this function would be quite important to me.

April 7, 2009 9:27 pm
philoxoxy

philoxoxy

Automaton Tech

from Montreal
255 posts

This will probably my most used app of the bundle. Finally got me on the RSS Bandwagon and I am loving it. Slick, slick, slick.

CleanMyMac and BarTender were the reasons I bought the bundle Please use my referral code: http://macheist.com/bundle/t/639742

Dropbox Referral: Get 2GB of Storage + 500MB Bonus by clicking on the link below:
http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTExNTMzMDI0OQ

April 7, 2009 9:44 pm
buschi

buschi

Tinkerer

20 posts

om3ga777 wrote:

"Times can download articles and photos from websites that do not provide full content in their feeds."

How do I do that? Clicking on a feed just shows me the "normal" content of a feed, not the whole story. I have some feeds without full content and so this function would be quite important to me.

+1

:-D

April 7, 2009 10:00 pm
Lattan

Lattan

Tinkerer

41 posts

om3ga777 wrote:

As far as I can tell, it in fact does display the full article (try out the New York Times or Forbes or something). Many feeds you might be looking at (like Digg) are just aggregators which have a very short 1-line summary with a link. Times doesn't follow these links for you — perhaps it's functionality that you should suggest!

April 7, 2009 10:23 pm
karinatwork

karinatwork

Urchin

from British Columbia
5 posts

I absolutely love this. Who would have thunk, but this makes the whole purchase worth it the most.

April 8, 2009 2:37 am
bbickley

bbickley

Automaton Tech

from Missouri
164 posts

Love this app.  All we need now is the rustling of a newspaper as you flip through the articles.

Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.
ORANGE IGUANAS

April 8, 2009 2:54 am

jdirishrover@gmail.com

Urchin

1 posts

I downloaded this bundle and Times is not supported on my Mac running OS X 10.4.11 ???????

April 8, 2009 1:32 pm

picshaman

Urchin

1 posts

crashes every single time its open, cant import google reader opml files, crashes and hangs when you do. I bought this for someone at xmas this year and they have never used it - I installed it to find out why they never used it from the bundle, now i know why....

April 8, 2009 1:43 pm
Bhooshan

Bhooshan

Urchin

from Regina SK - Canada
2 posts

higs wrote:
mike007 wrote:

Wow, this is a really great RSS reader.  Trying to get all my feeds set up in it now.  I wish I could make a new page though.

FILE - NEW PAGE

You have the option to create Pages within Times. I'm assuming you'd got the idea by now but let me know if you need help :-)

April 8, 2009 2:02 pm
Bhooshan

Bhooshan

Urchin

from Regina SK - Canada
2 posts

This single app prompted me to go for the Macheist bundle. In return I could also discover some great new Mac apps. Cheers to the Times team for developing such an ingenious interface. ***** stars from me!

April 8, 2009 2:25 pm
om3ga777

om3ga777

Automaton Tech

112 posts

Lattan wrote:
om3ga777 wrote:

As far as I can tell, it in fact does display the full article (try out the New York Times or Forbes or something). Many feeds you might be looking at (like Digg) are just aggregators which have a very short 1-line summary with a link. Times doesn't follow these links for you — perhaps it's functionality that you should suggest!

Neither does it work with Forbes nor with the built-in NYT feeds:

http://www.quicksnapper.com/files/4330/12435969249DCBA704F22F_m.png

And no, my news sites do not only provide a one-liner and a link! wink

April 8, 2009 2:55 pm
JoelMarcey

JoelMarcey

Automaton Tech

from Northern California
168 posts

Anyone been able to successfully import RSS feeds from Safari into Times? I just want to make sure I am not the only one who has crashing anytime I try to do this.

April 8, 2009 3:06 pm
frigginjoe

frigginjoe

Big Game Hunter

from Long Island
697 posts

Friggin' loving this app more than I ever thought I would.

http://www.twitter.com/frigginjoe
F everyone.  Scribbles is neat!

April 8, 2009 4:58 pm
Lattan

Lattan

Tinkerer

41 posts

om3ga777 wrote:
Lattan wrote:
om3ga777 wrote:

Neither does it work with Forbes nor with the built-in NYT feeds:

And no, my news sites do not only provide a one-liner and a link! wink

Huh. I just tried a couple of NYT articles in it, and one fully loaded and the other didn't. The NYT does partly protect site access, though, which might explain it. But Forbes is completely open as far as I know.
Guess you'd better file a bug report. I'd do it but I'm still using Headline. tongue

April 8, 2009 5:14 pm
om3ga777

om3ga777

Automaton Tech

112 posts

Ah, never mind. big_smile I have to stick with NetNewsWire - need the sync with my iPhone.

April 8, 2009 5:48 pm
JoelMarcey

JoelMarcey

Automaton Tech

from Northern California
168 posts

JoelMarcey wrote:

Anyone been able to successfully import RSS feeds from Safari into Times? I just want to make sure I am not the only one who has crashing anytime I try to do this.

I think I have pinpointed the problem. I think Times either has a problem with a specific Live Spaces RSS feed or with Live Spaces feeds in general. Once I removed that specific feed, import worked just fine.

April 8, 2009 6:13 pm
ebrad

ebrad

Tinkerer

46 posts

I've found that Times doesn't replace NetNewsWire for me, but supplements it. I put the feeds I care about in NetNewsWire so I can sync it to my iPod and not miss any of the articles. Then, I put the other feeds into Times so I can glance at them and keep an eye on things.

It's the whole signal to noise problem. If I followed all the feeds in NetNewsWire, then the noise to signal ratio would be too high and it would feel like a chore to sort through all of the items. But with Times, I can put the feeds with more noise into a place that doesn't feel like a chore to sort through. It makes it easier to glance at the newsfeeds and find an article that I find interesting. I use it for the local and national news that I just try to keep an eye on, but don't care if I miss a ton of articles.

April 8, 2009 6:59 pm
mhedstrom

mhedstrom

Tinkerer

from Denver, CO
39 posts

I don't know if this is the fault of Google Reader or what, but I exported all my feeds from Google Reader, imported them into Times, and now when I look at the feeds, none of the feed titles are there so there's no way for me to arrange them on the pages since I don't know what any of them are.

April 8, 2009 11:40 pm
shaggy16

shaggy16

Tinkerer

16 posts

Does anyone know how to set this up to be able to share links on Tumblr?

The Developer added these to their blog.

Reddit
StumbleUpon

Yahoo! Buzz
Technorati
Mixx
Google Bookmarks
Newsvine
LinkedIn

I tried to post the links but the forum won't let me.

http://www.twitter.com/justinluey

April 9, 2009 7:38 pm

jboudreau

Urchin

6 posts

You can make as many new pages as you want, name them as you wish and drag and drop your feeds to any window on any page. This really cuts down morning routine! I think that this app is the "hidden gem" in the collection.

April 10, 2009 3:18 pm
WebKarnage

WebKarnage

Big Game Hunter

from UK
776 posts

Finally an RSS app I like! Yay! This is getting it's place in the dock for sure.

Thanks Macheist!

The Optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds, the Pessimist fears this is true.

April 11, 2009 7:01 pm
mike007

mike007

Automaton Tech

from Indiana
370 posts

Bhooshan wrote:
higs wrote:
mike007 wrote:

Wow, this is a really great RSS reader.  Trying to get all my feeds set up in it now.  I wish I could make a new page though.

FILE - NEW PAGE

You have the option to create Pages within Times. I'm assuming you'd got the idea by now but let me know if you need help :-)

Yep, i figured it out, thanks for checking in on me.

April 11, 2009 8:51 pm

mynameisraj

one gripe I have about this app is it's dock badge. why doesn't it use the leopard default? that would be better since it could tell me how many I have unread (new).

April 12, 2009 4:56 am

Off Matte

Urchin

1 posts

I really like this app. But can't use it at the moment because of a bug which I find really irritating. When i use exposé to show the desktop it leaves behind the pages on the right hand side. and when i use it to show all windows, these same pages fly off screen. it looks really ugly, is any one else having the same issue. if not. why am i having it?

h4xr.org/2t5b

Image at that link ^

April 13, 2009 9:52 am
btester92

btester92

Big Game Hunter

from USA
944 posts

Off Matte wrote:

I really like this app. But can't use it at the moment because of a bug which I find really irritating. When i use exposé to show the desktop it leaves behind the pages on the right hand side. and when i use it to show all windows, these same pages fly off screen. it looks really ugly, is any one else having the same issue. if not. why am i having it?

h4xr.org/2t5b

Image at that link ^

I have an Exposé issue too, it's just a bug that they haven't fixed yet.

If I was helpful, consider signing up for Dropbox on my referral.

April 13, 2009 11:41 pm
SanMan

SanMan

Tinkerer

from Trinidad & Tobago
13 posts

ok so now i don't have to use Safari or Mail... i'm getting with the TIMES

Life, Tech and Entertainment, Politics included!
twitter | DropBOX | USTREAM

April 14, 2009 2:46 am
dmacdonald

dmacdonald

Developer

32 posts

Hey everyone, I figured I'd share an interesting story on the Exposé/Spaces bugs.

Around 10.5.2 or 10.5.3, myself and subsequently many of my users discovered that using Spaces with Times simply stopped working. You'd click the dock icon and the app would activate, but the correct space with the main window wouldn't slide into place. I wracked my brain for days over this and finally nailed it down to an issue with child windows (I won't bore you with the gritty API details). It was definitely an OS X bug as I'd originally suspected.

I filed a bug report that was quickly verified by Apple (and has since been reported in a number of places), and also implemented a quick workaround, which unfortunately resulted in the Exposé glitch most of you have seen (this is technically another OS X bug). I figured having the app work with Spaces was more important at the time, and that Apple would soon fix the bug anyway.

That was a long time ago, and as of 10.5.6, Apple still hasn't fixed the issue, even though I've seen similar issues with bigger apps such as Photoshop CS4. It's a little distressing to know that a fairly important OS feature broken so quickly would not be quickly addressed, but that's just the way things are I guess.

So I'm looking into it again, trying to figure out some more workarounds, and hoping maybe that this will get fixed in 10.5.7 or 10.6. I'm not very hopeful though.

P.S. If you guys have any urgent Times issues please contact times@acrylicapps.com rather than the support forums here.

April 14, 2009 3:37 am
Prueba_002

Prueba_002

Urchin

2 posts

Mr developer I would love Google Reader Sync if possible :3

April 14, 2009 2:27 pm
redwall_hp

redwall_hp

Tinkerer

31 posts

I'm sticking with NewsFire (free). I follow over a hundred feeds, and Times can't track near that many. It's great for more casual readers though.

"A wizard is never late. He always arrives exactly when he means to."
http://www.webmaster-source.com
http://www.fantasyfolder.com

April 30, 2009 8:38 pm
WebKarnage

WebKarnage

Big Game Hunter

from UK
776 posts

I have got bored of RSS despite liking Times as an app. It just proves that RSS doesn't do it for me. Times was the most pleasant reader I had come across, but it's twitter for me and a few forums. I get more than I can digest that way, and found RSS feeding me stuff that was less focussed on what I wanted.

with best regards,
Karn.

The Optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds, the Pessimist fears this is true.

April 30, 2009 8:59 pm
mkun

mkun

Gearhead

from Japan
90 posts

I'm digging Times, now that I have finally dusted it off and opened it up, but I have to say it's only really useful to me as a way of scanning headlines and reading articles from newspaper sites. It really falls short for reading blog feeds. Rather than staying on top of what's latest, with the blogs I usually track I try to read through the entire feed, so an unread article view and counter (a la Google Reader) is really important to me.

July 8, 2009 7:30 am
BigMark

BigMark

Sky Pirate

from Kent, UK.
1,543 posts

I love the idea of Times, I'd like to use it as a reader for newpaper site RSS feeds, I've yet to work out how to set it up to my satisfaction.  Mkun waking up this thread has reminded me I really should give it another try.

Mark.

July 8, 2009 11:26 am
Scandalous

Scandalous

Sky Pirate

1,528 posts

Yes, it's still buggy. Even after an upgrade to SL and installing the latest update.

Tsk tsk.

Click DropBox to sync files online & across your computers for FREE + receive an additional 250 MB.

January 11, 2010 2:01 am
MacAndy

MacAndy

Automaton Tech

from Bavaria
116 posts

I do have a problem to add an "Umlaut"domain, überallbüro.de as a RSS. There is only a red bullet with a white X near by the URL

If I use ueberallbuero.de, it is working (but this is only working, if the owner bought this domain, too, isn't it?) and very interesting, times changes the domain to punycode!

So, if you need to use a internationalized domain, you may use this on a unicode machine (SL is unicode ;-):

whois -h whois.denic.de -- UNICODEDOMAIN (according to your ISO). The answer is with punycode:

whois -h whois.denic.de --  überallbüro.de
Domain:      überallbüro.de
Domain-Ace:  xn--berallbro-p9ah.de

% DB time is 2010-01-12T15:50:00+01:00

xn--berallbro-p9ah.de is the necessary entry...

Andreas
Get DropBox - 2 GB + 250 MB for free

January 12, 2010 2:53 pm
clownx

clownx

Gearhead

from Boston
81 posts

Hey, Times users! Pulp (basically, the 2.0 of Times) just popped up in the Mac App Store (at least, for me--I don't check often). I still use Times, and I'm wondering if anyone has picked up Pulp. How is it? Does it fix the incredible instability of Times? Is it worth the $10 to buy?

"Jack and Kate went up a hill. Kate came down with Sawyer, because she's promiscuous. I guess that's really more of a fact than a joke..."
http://www.macheist.com/bundle/u/820/

June 3, 2011 7:07 pm
dmacdonald

dmacdonald

Developer

32 posts

clownx wrote:

Hey, Times users! Pulp (basically, the 2.0 of Times) just popped up in the Mac App Store (at least, for me--I don't check often). I still use Times, and I'm wondering if anyone has picked up Pulp. How is it? Does it fix the incredible instability of Times? Is it worth the $10 to buy?

Developer here! We've actually worked really hard on fixing all of the speed and stability issues in Times 1.0, as well as adding a ton of handy new features - Pulp is a complete, from-the-ground-up rewrite. If you're at all curious, you can download a free trial version on the Pulp website to check it out: http://www.acrylicapps.com/pulp/

Hope this helps!

June 4, 2011 7:17 am
MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ Times

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?