Forums

The Mac Bundles - Thoughts?

MacHeist Forums » The Lounge » The Mac Bundles - Thoughts?
jones.adamw@gmail.com

jones.adamw@gmail.com

Urchin

from Iowa
7 posts

Timed bundles look like a great way for developers to sell their apps for a lower price without actually lowering the price. I've got no problem with that because I get to buy apps for a lower price without actually paying a higher price. But so far only a small percentage of Mac owners are bundle purchasers. What would happen to the software industry if bundle sales enter the range of hundreds of thousands or (in dreamland) millions?

----
Adam

June 25, 2009 8:24 pm
rampancy

rampancy

from Denial.
3,890 posts

gemmes wrote:

another bundle is being released in 3 days!

http://www.themacbundles.com/

Hope they do repeats, I want Default Folder X.

You'd might as well buy it now. St. Clair offers discounts for students and people strapped for cash. It's highly unlikely it'll be offered in another bundle.

Marathon Forever.
AppShelf: MacHeist 3 Loot
AppShelf: nanoBundle 1
Check Reciept Page for nanoBundle 2 AppShelf Files.

June 26, 2009 2:47 am
dsw1958

dsw1958

Big Game Hunter

856 posts

hmmm... I wonder what this bundle will have... I hope it's better than the first.  I would also be interested in how they did on the first bundle.  I hope they put more information up on the site this time.

June 26, 2009 3:25 am
MintCreation

MintCreation

Sky Pirate

from Daddy Heaven :D
1,478 posts

Looking forward to it... Skipped their last one an MU Promos as well.. And right now I have bundle cravings!

I am not an agent in real life, only on weekends!

June 26, 2009 4:48 am
gemmes

gemmes

Big Game Hunter

665 posts

rampancy wrote:
gemmes wrote:

another bundle is being released in 3 days!

http://www.themacbundles.com/

Hope they do repeats, I want Default Folder X.

You'd might as well buy it now. St. Clair offers discounts for students and people strapped for cash. It's highly unlikely it'll be offered in another bundle.

Yes, I doubt there will be any repeats.

I got Tags from macupdate, DFX is less of a priority now. I may still buy but I have a few trial days left anyway so I will wait.

Hope TMB had some success last time and have a few nice apps this time around. *fingers crossed*

FREE Dropbox Storage Use link for EXTRA space for you and me. big_smile
15.4" 2.5GHz 4GB MacBook Pro, 32GB iPhone 3GS

June 28, 2009 3:32 pm
izdale

izdale

Sky Pirate

from the U.S.
1,771 posts

Last time I stayed up until it was released, out of curiosity.  I won't be doing that this time.  While I do hope there are some good apps in it, I also hope there isn't.  I've spent too much on apps this year... tongue

Find deals on Mac apps at Mac App Deals

June 28, 2009 3:47 pm
gemmes

gemmes

Big Game Hunter

665 posts

izdale wrote:

I've spent too much on apps this year... tongue

+1 Same here.

I blame MacHeist Forums. Had never heard of half the apps till I joined MH.

June 28, 2009 3:50 pm
MintCreation

MintCreation

Sky Pirate

1,478 posts

The new bundle is here.... I will pass once again.
Very boring in my opinion.

http://www.quicksnapper.com/files/931/16626226924A486A849D0A8_m.png

June 29, 2009 7:18 am
gemmes

gemmes

Big Game Hunter

665 posts

sad

June 29, 2009 7:55 am
Bob Nahasapeemapetilon

Bob Nahasapeemapetilon

Sky Pirate

1,889 posts

A handful of good programs, but the previous one was better.
The developers of World Clock Deluxe, Typinator, and ShutterBug are great to deal with.

Look Ma, no teeth!

June 29, 2009 8:04 am
MintCreation

MintCreation

Sky Pirate

1,478 posts

That Caboodle bag is giving me the shivers... Sad to see some programs being re-used in every bundle available.. they lose their value and interest in my opinion.

And I just wanted to see if the Print Magic is something to write home about... But seriously when seeing this Web site I get worried.... That "design" won't sell a lot of products. Top "news" on the site dates back to 2002 and 2003.

June 29, 2009 8:49 am
tech

tech

Sky Pirate

from Rantoul, Illinois
1,516 posts

If I didn't already have Mailtags, I'd seriously consider this one.  It would be the "gotta have it app" and then there's a few "nice to have apps".

What are they thinking including Voila just after it was offered for an extended period via MacUpdate?

<insert out-dated referral link here>

June 29, 2009 1:30 pm
bdegrande

bdegrande

Sky Pirate

from Hoboken, NJ
1,241 posts

Yawn.  Even leaving MacHeist out of it, I think the MacUpdate bundles have been WAY better.

If you are a Dexter fan, check out The Dexter Cast podcast - iTunes  or www.thedextercast.com
Dropbox referral - We each get an extra 500MB

June 29, 2009 4:30 pm
dsw1958

dsw1958

Big Game Hunter

856 posts

zzzzzzzz.... passing on another one...

June 29, 2009 4:31 pm
rampancy

rampancy

from Denial.
3,890 posts

MintCreation wrote:

And I just wanted to see if the Print Magic is something to write home about... But seriously when seeing this Web site I get worried.... That "design" won't sell a lot of products. Top "news" on the site dates back to 2002 and 2003.

I think Steve Becker and MacEase are an interesting example of how the pendulum can shift the other way; if apps like Disco and AppZapper are examples of "Style over Substance", then PrintMagic and MacMagic are obviously "Substance over Style". I'm sure they're good apps, but I think it's hard to argue that the UI of those apps, is, well, really, pretty ugly. MacMagic has an incredible amount of depth to it; the problem is that it's packaged in a UI which completely overwhelms the user with options and is very much user-hostile. It and the other apps like Print Magic almost seems to give off the vibe that having a nice visually appealing UI is beneath them.

A happy medium *is* possible - you can have a good nice UI while at the same time having a functionally powerful app; I can think of Yojimbo, OmniFocus/OmniWeb, and Things as examples. Just because you have a good app doesn't mean you have don't have to hire a designer or two to help make it presentable. It's sad that somehow people have come to associate the importance of a good, nice UI as being "fluff".

Marathon Forever.
AppShelf: MacHeist 3 Loot
AppShelf: nanoBundle 1
Check Reciept Page for nanoBundle 2 AppShelf Files.

June 29, 2009 5:22 pm
Dewtain

Dewtain

Big Game Hunter

from The Netherlands
517 posts

I didn't expect a new bundle this fast. Expected a yearly thing actually.

Too bad I have Typinator and Voila. Mailtags I want... but buying the bundle just for that seems silly sad.

I wonder which team I'm on...
Oh, I'm on the blue team smile.

June 29, 2009 6:55 pm
Scandalous

Scandalous

Sky Pirate

1,528 posts

gemmes wrote:

sad

Agreed.

Click DropBox to sync files online & across your computers for FREE + receive an additional 250 MB.

June 29, 2009 7:27 pm
kongobongo

kongobongo

Automaton Tech

443 posts

The loot from MH3 easily beats this bundle.

Plastic Fish Never Die

June 30, 2009 7:43 am
dkoerner

dkoerner

Sky Pirate

from Good ol' Germany
1,165 posts

rampancy wrote:

then PrintMagic and MacMagic are obviously "Substance over Style". I'm sure they're good apps, but I think it's hard to argue that the UI of those apps, is, well, really, pretty ugly.

not to mention their websites.... southpark comes to my mind, "man, that is so last week" big_smile

German Mac Twittering | Dropbox - Free online storage
Green Monkeys, the only true monkeys

June 30, 2009 9:31 am
BigMark

BigMark

Sky Pirate

from Kent, UK.
1,553 posts

The only one of interest to me is Mailtags, I have a screencast of using it in combination with Mail ActOn in a way I thought may work for me.

I have too many of the other apps already.  Over all a fairly dated bundle, but some reasonable stuff, I like (& have) Voila, I have (& don't use) Caboodle, Got Typinator from Loot but didn't install as I use TextExpander myself.

Slightly off topic

Bob Nahasapeemapetilon wrote:

A handful of good programs, but the previous one was better.
The developers of World Clock Deluxe, Typinator, and ShutterBug are great to deal with.

I was disappointed to have a friend I referred to MH miss out on the time-limited installation of Typinator due to Apple delaying the shipment of his 1st ever Mac sad  perhaps I should get him to contact them about it?

Mark.

June 30, 2009 2:37 pm

bor003

Automaton Tech

from A
232 posts

I do really hate there website. It is just UGLY!!!!! I like the bundle on this site as it has new apps that people will use! And all of the extras that you get like the missions and the nervous countdown to see if we will get to the next level! smile There whole site looks ugly, boring and just cheep. I will not buy those boring apps from them! I don't think I would use them even if they were free!

June 30, 2009 6:30 pm
Dewtain

Dewtain

Big Game Hunter

from The Netherlands
517 posts

I don't get why you guys think themacbundles.com is ugly. I think it looks ok, perhaps a bit plain. But what do you expect, it's only to sell a bundle. I've seen far worse.

But that's just me smile.

June 30, 2009 6:50 pm
Chriswan

Chriswan

Sky Pirate

from Jakarta, Indonesia
1,194 posts

the first one is ok; this one is not thought carefuly

-people already got Typinator as a loot (the dev even gave v3.5 update bonus for free)
-they also might already got Voila through MUPromo (maybe he's aiming those who missed Voila on previous bundle)
-Caboodle and ShutterBug had been offered many times in past promos
-the rest are mostly less known apps (generate less or little hype)

Thanks a Lot

July 4, 2009 5:44 am
macdude56

macdude56

Automaton Tech

from teh Internets
366 posts

The only app I heard of from the TheMacBundles.com is Typinator. That has to be the worst bundle I have ever seen, EVER

I agree: childhood should be a time of innocence, and Bambi's mother shouldn't die, and lap dances should be complementary after the fifth cocktail, but that's not the world we live in
-Charlie Harper

July 4, 2009 5:56 am
Bob Nahasapeemapetilon

Bob Nahasapeemapetilon

Sky Pirate

1,889 posts

macdude56 wrote:

The only app I heard of from the TheMacBundles.com is Typinator. That has to be the worst bundle I have ever seen, EVER

So this is a bad bundle just because you're not familiar with the software?
Interesting perspective.

Some of these applications have been around for a long time. I think that I first used World Clock Deluxe about 8 years ago. I did not like the OS X version, but love MaBaSoft and frequently recommend their Application Wizard.

Look Ma, no teeth!

July 6, 2009 6:56 am
Team Global Delight

Team Global Delight

Urchin

6 posts

Hey have you checked out the latest bundle of TheMacBundles?

July 6, 2009 7:12 am
Dewtain

Dewtain

Big Game Hunter

from The Netherlands
517 posts

Team Global Delight wrote:

Yes

July 6, 2009 7:51 am
mzch

mzch

Automaton Tech

from Hyogo, Japan
281 posts

Team Global Delight wrote:

Yes, me too. I'm very pleased with Voila, but I don't feel TheMacBundles know what buttons to push at the moment.

Contact me? Please see http://mch.tel/
Free online storage? Minus 10GB+1GB, Dropbox 2GB+250MB

⠅⠕⠊⠉⠓⠊⠍⠁⠞⠎⠥⠍⠕⠞⠕

July 6, 2009 2:39 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Lounge » The Mac Bundles - Thoughts?

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?