Forums

Spideroak next with referral space 2+ 1 GB

MacHeist Forums » Deals Around the Web » Spideroak next with referral space 2+ 1 GB
macwitty

macwitty

Big Game Hunter

from Stockholm, Sweden
920 posts

Spideroak has now started their refere-a-friend program.

2 GB free account gets an extra 1 GB
Yes, as usual  bonus space to both the one who sign up and the one who refer
Max free space is 5 GB (2 + 3 referrrals)

Want to try? Here is my referral link

Use links further down, think # 10 is next as I have got what I can get get for free accounts (+3 GB) Thanks!

Get DropBox - 2 GB + 250 MB for free

September 22, 2009 1:24 pm
blue_fireball_eater

blue_fireball_eater

from Nashville
2,732 posts

Not to pry, but do you actually find having many different services useful, or are you just trying them out to see which one is best? I would be interested to know what you think of these different services if you actually use them all. I only use dropbox and, other than measely storage, I haven't had an urge to look for something different yet. If another service is better though, I would probably try it.

avatar is from Penfield & Jasper, 1954

September 22, 2009 3:09 pm
macwitty

macwitty

Big Game Hunter

from Stockholm, Sweden
920 posts

I do use both dropbox and sugarsync
Dropbox for daily backup/sync - the one I use most
Sugarsync for sharing folders where I don't want other to be able to change or delete them. Do also use their achive for a lot of magazines and podcasts (5 GB) I have on an external drive and don't want to have on all computers but want to be able to reach
Have just started to test spideroak to see if I want to replace any of the other or if I find it useful for something else - Will be back when I know

September 22, 2009 3:20 pm
LaurentR

LaurentR

Sky Pirate

from Paris / France
1,624 posts

macwitty wrote:

I do use both dropbox and sugarsync
Dropbox for daily backup/sync - the one I use most
Sugarsync for sharing folders where I don't want other to be able to change or delete them. Do also use their achive for a lot of magazines and podcasts (5 GB) I have on an external drive and don't want to have on all computers but want to be able to reach
Have just started to test spideroak to see if I want to replace any of the other or if I find it useful for something else - Will be back when I know

And you should have 1 Gb more now since I've subscribed today with your refferal link. Let me know if it has worked. On my side I have only 2 Gb

Twitter
Get your Dropbox smile

September 22, 2009 3:28 pm
Scandalous

Scandalous

Sky Pirate

1,528 posts

I'm signing up to give it a try. There is a comparison (spideroak vs. dropbox) here. I sure love Dropbox though. The Dropbox iPhone app should be available soon. Spideroak needs to sync my files and make me coffee at the same time - if you know what I mean. smile

edit: Whoa. Now that it's installed, it looks very versatile. I just need to get home and install it on my Mac too.

Click DropBox to sync files online & across your computers for FREE + receive an additional 250 MB.

September 22, 2009 3:42 pm
jfm429

jfm429

Sky Pirate

from Behind You
2,196 posts

Nice, I installed it using your link.

Anyway, after macwitty has another referral for a total of 3, please use mine at [EDIT: I got all my free space - use someone else's link so they can get some too!] - I'm looking to get those extra gigabytes...

NovaStorm Software || @NovaStormSW || @jfm429 || Dropbox + Extra Storage

"I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not have C++ in mind."
- Alan Kay, inventor of Object-Oriented programming

September 22, 2009 5:36 pm
macwitty

macwitty

Big Game Hunter

from Stockholm, Sweden
920 posts

A friend of mine was less patient and send an email to Spideroak when she didn't get the extra 1 GB. They answered within 10 minutes (not bad!)

"Thank you for the inquiry, and sorry for the confusion.  When you use the link to signup, we will run a server side update to the accounts with the new storage amounts.  This is run on a regular period a couple of times a day.  If you do not see the new storage in the next 24 hours please let us know."

So let's see if it's there tomorrow

Agree with jfm429 use his/her instead as I have got what I can get for free accounts

September 22, 2009 5:50 pm
Stan2.0

Stan2.0

Automaton Tech

from Germany
117 posts

Thanks jfm429, I was using your link to sign up.

If you've reached your three additional GBs it would be nice if people could use my referral link to sign up:

[s]https://spideroak.com/download/referral … 92a7e49b36[/s]

(Edit: canceled my account, please don't use that link anymore)

Thanks smile

Looks nice so far, a bit like Mozy actually. Unfortunately the icon in the menu bar is full colored and looks really odd next to all the black icons, but I suppose they'll add an option to change that soon. I'm going to suggest that to the devs.

Follow me on Twitter

September 22, 2009 10:28 pm
mzch

mzch

Automaton Tech

from Hyogo, Japan
281 posts

Stan2.0 wrote:

Thanks jfm429, I was using your link to sign up.

If you've reached your three additional GBs it would be nice if people could use my referral link to sign up:

https://spideroak.com/download/referral … 92a7e49b36

Thanks smile

Looks nice so far, a bit like Mozy actually. Unfortunately the icon in the menu bar is full colored and looks really odd next to all the black icons, but I suppose they'll add an option to change that soon. I'm going to suggest that to the devs.

Hm... your refferal does not work for me. Well, my referral is below:

https://spideroak.com/download/referral … 8246c28d9b

Thanks smile

EDITED on September, 24: I have got +3GB, thanks to all who signed up though my referral.

Contact me? Please see http://mch.tel/
Free online storage? Minus 10GB+1GB, Dropbox 2GB+250MB

⠅⠕⠊⠉⠓⠊⠍⠁⠞⠎⠥⠍⠕⠞⠕

September 22, 2009 11:39 pm
Jo123

Jo123

Automaton Tech

310 posts

@ jfm429: I used your referral-link. Have a look whether they added a GB.

Here is my SpiderOak Referral-Link

C'mon girls and boys, gimme some GBs wink And thanks a lot for using my Ref-Link!

September 23, 2009 10:51 am
Zora

Zora

Gearhead

86 posts

Stan2.0 your referral link worked for me.

macwitty thank you for the hint, I did not use my dropbox account, so I am glad to try spideroak. Looks really nice so far. I'm curious how they are dealing with packages like Scrivener files.

My referral link:

Deleted.

Thank you for using it!

Please visit the CleanMyMac Referral Thread
http://macheist.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=23921&p=1
Proud Member of the former BLUE Team™

September 23, 2009 11:01 am
jfm429

jfm429

Sky Pirate

from Behind You
2,196 posts

Okay, I've got all the links I need now -  please use the links for Stan2.0, mzch, Jo123, and Zora.

"I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not have C++ in mind."

September 23, 2009 1:20 pm
macwitty

macwitty

Big Game Hunter

from Stockholm, Sweden
920 posts

At least I can now see my +3 GB
Hope the one who used my link also got their space
If not do send Spideroak a message as they wrote in their answer, see #7

Please, when you got your space do go back and edit/take away the link in your previous post - I think that will help people who want to sign up - not by mistake use a "full" link

September 23, 2009 5:12 pm
JackV

JackV

Sky Pirate

from Germany
1,072 posts

hmm, i did not get my ref link yet. did you receive it per email?

I write about Juice on Entsafter.co

September 23, 2009 7:08 pm
Zora

Zora

Gearhead

86 posts

You have to visit spideroak's website, there you find the 'Refer-A-Friend' button.

September 23, 2009 7:17 pm
JackV

JackV

Sky Pirate

from Germany
1,072 posts

thank you, zora.

I can also need some more webspace: I used zora as a ref link and would be glad if someone would use mine:
EDIT: all set smile

As always: I´ll remove it if I have 2 referrals.

Best regards

September 23, 2009 7:27 pm
mtaylor

mtaylor

Big Game Hunter

755 posts

anyone know if spideroak supports webDAV?

In communist russia, the normal force pushes on you!

September 24, 2009 1:58 am
LaurentR

LaurentR

Sky Pirate

from Paris / France
1,624 posts

Still 2 Gb even using macwitty refferal link the 22th

Twitter
Get your Dropbox smile

September 25, 2009 9:53 pm
Stan2.0

Stan2.0

Automaton Tech

from Germany
117 posts

I should also have more than 2GB, but there's no change there. I emailed them yesterday, but no reply yet sad

Follow me on Twitter

September 26, 2009 3:57 am
macwitty

macwitty

Big Game Hunter

from Stockholm, Sweden
920 posts

Have been out for a week and must say I feel sorry and surprised for you who have not got your bonus space. And a bit guilty of dragging you into this... sad

LaurentR as you used mine link: Have you still not got it? Have you emailed them? If so do send your email address to me by PM at once (I'm off to Namibia Friday morning)and I'll send them an email. I got my 5 GB and I just checked with my friend and she has 3GB

If anyone dare to try it seems as the first who hasn't got 2 ref is
Jo123 in #10
then Zora in # 11
and JAcl V # 16

September 30, 2009 10:06 pm
JackV

JackV

Sky Pirate

from Germany
1,072 posts

yeah, I am still on 2 GB as well. I contact them why it did not work as I should have at least 3GB by now.

Besides, if anyone isn´t on dropbox already: here is my ref link to get me and you an additional 250MB https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTg1MzY5ODk

September 30, 2009 10:14 pm
Zora

Zora

Gearhead

86 posts

Until now I did not get any referral bonus. I sent them an Email, they asked me for my and the person(s) who used the link usernames. I sent them my username and Stan2.0’s referral link. I hoped they could verify. I got no answer until now.

Wait, that’s not true. I got an Email yesterday afternoon with an offer of  30% discount on all monthly and yearly storage plans. A good deal, if I had the opportunity to try the service backing up one of my really large DevonThink databases. I need more than 2 GB for this. I wanted to have a closer look at this offer next morning, but it had been valid for 12 hours only, evening and nighttime here in Europe and it’s gone now.

I read in their forums and blog they encountered some problems with their services. So I wanted to be quiet and wait until they resolved their troubles.

Overall I liked the rather clean interface and the different possibilities with backup and sync and sharing.

Stan2.0 I will write you a PM asking for your SpiderOak username.

If you are not too disappointed, I would like some more backup space for trying out the service. Feel free to use this link:

Link deleted, I got my free space, thank you!

October 1, 2009 5:04 am
Stan2.0

Stan2.0

Automaton Tech

from Germany
117 posts

I've sent you my username Zora (along with some spelling mistakes, I should really proofread _before_ hitting "submit" wink )

I already canceled my account with them, since it's less useful to me than I originally thought. And the software is just terrible (IMHO).

Follow me on Twitter

October 1, 2009 11:06 am
macwitty

macwitty

Big Game Hunter

from Stockholm, Sweden
920 posts

Got a Pm from LaurentR that he has got his referral space but it took longer time than the 24 hour said in the email. Hopefully it's just a case of time for the rest of you.

October 1, 2009 12:44 pm
jfm429

jfm429

Sky Pirate

from Behind You
2,196 posts

I agree, their software is awful.  Having it in your dock to keep it running?  Seriously.  And that's just the beginning.  I was honestly hoping it would work well, but Dropbox is a lot nicer for me.

October 1, 2009 4:00 pm
KristenM

KristenM

Automaton Tech

from Storrs, CT, USA
292 posts

Giving it a try. I'm using DropBox for syncing my Papers and 1Password databases so I'd like to see how this compares. Used Zora's link and would appreciate anyone using mine!
https://spideroak.com/download/referral … bd202ec407

Get 2GB + 250MB of space free with DropBox!

November 12, 2009 12:44 am
Zora

Zora

Gearhead

86 posts

Thank you, KristenM, for using my link.  This time I got  the free space immediately.

I nearly forgot SpiderOak during the last weeks, will give them another try. 

At the moment it uses 55 to 65% of my CPU, is this normal behaviour?

November 12, 2009 7:10 am
macwitty

macwitty

Big Game Hunter

from Stockholm, Sweden
920 posts

Sound strange
Here it is around 3 % and 20 MB
uploading it can go up to around 6 %
I use the latest version Build 1.7.3.52910.20091030
But I can't remember it took a lot before either

November 12, 2009 7:40 am
Zora

Zora

Gearhead

86 posts

I downloaded the latest version and it says: version 3.5.9589, where did you  find the informations about your Build?

I really dislike this yellow icon in my menubar. I prefer to have the app in my dock. If it disturbs me there,  I may hide it.

CPU seems a little bit better now, only around 50% when scanning the HD...

November 12, 2009 8:16 am
macwitty

macwitty

Big Game Hunter

from Stockholm, Sweden
920 posts

I found the info about build in Sugarsync Manager menu under About Sugarsync

Yellow icon? Is the icons on files and folders? Then you can take them away at the general tab in Preference

Otherwise I dislike to have the icon both in the menu and the doc Would like it to go away from my doc! smile

November 12, 2009 8:58 am
Zora

Zora

Gearhead

86 posts

@macwitty: Are we speaking about the same application / service?

I don't have SugarSync, asked Google about it.

In SpiderOak's Preferences I can't find any possibility to choose where I would like to see  the app's icon. The version I used until today showed it in both, dock and Menu Bar. Now they followed your wish and it sits in the Menu Bar smile. Yellow between elegant black and grey...

November 12, 2009 9:33 am
macwitty

macwitty

Big Game Hunter

from Stockholm, Sweden
920 posts

Sorry Zora I mixed it up!

Forget everything I have written
I was too early after a too late night
There is no Spideroak on this computer so I can't help you

November 12, 2009 9:45 am
macwitty

macwitty

Big Game Hunter

from Stockholm, Sweden
920 posts

Zoran, sorry to mix it up earlier today
Now I'm on a mac with Spideroak
I agree the orange icon don't fit in the menu
When scanning it uses between 7 and 25 % (18-80 MB)on this slow G4
Looks as your "eat" to much

November 12, 2009 2:53 pm
KristenM

KristenM

Automaton Tech

from Storrs, CT, USA
292 posts

I just tested it out and the highest I saw my CPU spike to was 11% on my 2.2GHz Macbook with 2GB RAM.

Get 2GB + 250MB of space free with DropBox!

November 13, 2009 3:46 am
Zora

Zora

Gearhead

86 posts

Thank you macwitty and KristenM for testing. I will have a closer look at my settings on weekend. I'm using an an iMac G5 with 2,5 GB RAM.

November 13, 2009 6:03 am
bewmedia

bewmedia

Urchin

3 posts

does anyone have a referral link I can use? I'm not sure which ones posted here will still work...
thanks smile

November 30, 2009 12:22 am
markrof

markrof

Automaton Tech

from UK
433 posts

Try this one @bewmedia
https://spideroak.com/download/referral … 1ad5bd38c5

Have a nice day

November 30, 2009 12:43 am
bewmedia

bewmedia

Urchin

3 posts

markrof wrote:

Try this one

thank you! I used it. still shows only 2GB. is it supposed to show the extra gig right away? I see for some in this thread it took some time, donno if thats still the case...

November 30, 2009 1:01 am
markrof

markrof

Automaton Tech

from UK
433 posts

not sure when mine appeared but since u used my referral my space increased by 1gig

Have a nice day

November 30, 2009 9:50 am
bewmedia

bewmedia

Urchin

3 posts

ok, awesome, I got my extra now too. thanks so much for the referral smile

November 30, 2009 2:48 pm
surphaze

surphaze

Automaton Tech

386 posts

JackV wrote:

I can also need some more webspace: I used zora as a ref link and would be glad if someone would use mine:
(JackVs referral link)

Used your link.
I'm not sure if and how this worked, saw the referral code in the link but that lead me to a download and I registered from inside the app and there was no indication that the referral was accounted for... well, maybe it works via IP or whatever... we'll see, hope it works.

If somebody wants to use my link to register, I'd appreciate:

EDIT: Maxed out, link removed. That was fast, many thanks everyone:-)  /EDIT

I will remove it in case I get maxed out.

Best,

V

http://surphaze.mybrute.com/

April 19, 2010 9:30 am
JackV

JackV

Sky Pirate

from Germany
1,072 posts

thank you, it worked wink

April 20, 2010 9:41 am
surphaze

surphaze

Automaton Tech

386 posts

JackV wrote:

thank you, it worked wink

Yeah, for me as well now :-)
Also got two more GB from nice people that obviously used my link. Thanks a lot!

I'm maxed out so I removed my link, if I find someone who wants to register as well, I'll give him the latest reflink from this thread:-)

Best,

V

http://surphaze.mybrute.com/

April 20, 2010 12:36 pm
April 20, 2010 2:46 pm

bitman2012

Urchin

1 posts

Here is an updated (working) referral link: spideroak.com/download/referral/24515ffa6eff79fd7e06a0c08d9e5253

September 7, 2011 12:58 pm
MacHeist Forums » Deals Around the Web » Spideroak next with referral space 2+ 1 GB

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?