Forums

-- EARLY DETECTION NETWORK/WARNING SYSTEM -- I MAY OF FOUND A CLUE

MacHeist Forums » The Backroom » -- EARLY DETECTION NETWORK/WARNING SYSTEM -- I MAY OF FOUND A CLUE
JMarkevich

JMarkevich

Sky Pirate

from Halifax, Canada
1,203 posts

WarWraith wrote:
WhiteFang wrote:

The world is a tad bigger place than North-America and "some fallen empire based off of a small island in the east", and it's somewhat astonishing to see grammar and spelling complaints coming from an aussie, considering your whereabouts - none of your neighbours to the north speak a shred of English worth mentioning...

Actually, it was a definite troll. I filled that post with grammatical and spelling errors just to be funny.

Unfortunately, it was just after I'd woken up, and before I'd had my coffee, and I can see now how it looks like I'm having a go :S

Failed troll has failed.

You DID notice I completely ignored your grammatical errors, as they really were obvious... and tried to answer what seemed to be a legitimate question?  Right?

"You have the whitest white-part-of-the-eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?"
Get Dropbox. You need it!

November 2, 2009 1:36 pm
RebelMoogle

RebelMoogle

Urchin

2 posts

so this MacHeist is about grammar now (it's good that the Mac has autocorrection everywhere.) wink

November 2, 2009 6:10 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

RebelMoogle wrote:

so this MacHeist is about grammar now (it's good that the Mac has autocorrection everywhere.) wink

This usually does nothing to correct grammar, and if it does, it's by accident.

BTW, as for it's/its, there's a rule that seems to help many people I've met - possessive pronouns don't get an apostrophe. His, hers, its, theirs, etc.

PM me | Twitter

November 2, 2009 6:50 pm
CamperX

CamperX

Urchin

7 posts

One of my pet peeves, aside from those already mentioned, is using the word "weary" in reference to being suspicious about a person or situation.  "Wary" or "leery" are both fine words on their own.  There's no good reason to try to combine them.

P.S. - There's no such thing as a "Gaelic shrug".  It's a "Gallic shrug".  French, everyone - not Irish!

November 2, 2009 7:49 pm
LordZog

LordZog

Automaton Tech

264 posts

CamperX wrote:

P.S. - There's no such thing as a "Gaelic shrug".  It's a "Gallic shrug".  French, everyone - not Irish!

Thanks for that, CamperX. I had never encountered the term before. Googling for a definition turned up a recognizable gesture that I was not aware had a name.

Why do people seem to think they have the right to not be offended?

November 2, 2009 9:36 pm
LordZog

LordZog

Automaton Tech

264 posts

solarisking wrote:

Where in the heck did those coordinates come from?  And I don't mean Twitter either!

Did you read the scrolling message at the top of the MH page?

Why do people seem to think they have the right to not be offended?

November 2, 2009 9:38 pm
johnred

johnred

Directorate

1,869 posts

jpdyson wrote:
RebelMoogle wrote:

BTW, as for it's/its, there's a rule that seems to help many people I've met - possessive pronouns don't get an apostrophe. His, hers, its, theirs, etc.

Am I sensing jpdyson's Guide To Proper Grammer popping up soon? It'd make for great linkbait since 99% of the people on the net could use it.

John Casasanta
MacHeist Director
tap tap tap chief

November 2, 2009 10:28 pm
mamiller93

mamiller93

Automaton Tech

197 posts

johnred wrote:
jpdyson wrote:
RebelMoogle wrote:

Am I sensing jpdyson's Guide To Proper Grammer popping up soon? It'd make for great linkbait since 99% of the people on the net could use it.

Lies. I don need no lessonz. tongue

Oh wait, you pointed to the 99% of people. I guess I am the lucky 1%.
*looks around at those who fall under John's 99% bracket and laughs*

▛▞▞▟  Proud Member of the GREEN Team™  ▙▚▚▜

November 2, 2009 10:51 pm
boringgeek

boringgeek

Urchin

from Beaumont, CA
6 posts

I was in a Del Taco one fine morning when an young woman with a Boost Mobile phone "chirped" a friend and said "Say that one mo' 'gain"...  The restaurant came to a complete standstill and the dude cooking the fries called her ignorant. I just about died.

Find me on Twitter
▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

November 3, 2009 8:07 am
Richard Hallas

Richard Hallas

Automaton Tech

from Huddersfield, UK
251 posts

jpdyson wrote:

I think the easiest thing to remember is that "it's" means "it is" or "it has". You use "its" for every other case.

And, if in doubt, leave out the apostrophe. It's less disruptive not to see it than to have it jab you in the eye when it shouldn't be there.

Cheers!
Born to the Purple

November 3, 2009 10:33 am

ccyonce

Urchin

3 posts

The lights seem to be blinking in code: 2628-2855.  It seems to repeat but I'm not sure how to use it...any ideas?

November 3, 2009 10:43 am
tayker

tayker

Gearhead

from Fredericksburg, VA
75 posts

What I've always found quite hilarious is that a lot of grammar Nazis can't differentiate acronym from abbreviation, which isn't that difficult - SONAR, RADAR, NASA are acronyms, and MD, PHd, BA are abbreviations.

When someone can get those right then ping me about where I put a semi-colon.

Throwing hand grenades at ninjas

November 3, 2009 11:18 am
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

johnred wrote:
jpdyson wrote:
RebelMoogle wrote:

I like logic. I don't like memorizing rules. I've taken this approach with grammar, and found it frustrating (at least, with the English language as it's used in the states).

PM me | Twitter

November 3, 2009 2:29 pm

panistefanin

Tinkerer

17 posts

Hello! this complex question. Here it is necessary to think...

moegottaknow survey

April 18, 2018 11:04 am
MacHeist Forums » The Backroom » -- EARLY DETECTION NETWORK/WARNING SYSTEM -- I MAY OF FOUND A CLUE

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?