Forums

★ ShoveBox

MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ ShoveBox

Packerfan

Urchin

3 posts

Ok to the crashing aspect, DONT set shortcuts in the beginning when it prompts you, leave them blank go through the other pages, then go back to prefs and set it up.  I found it would crash whenever I did shortcuts so I decided to not do them and since then it has worked well.

November 11, 2009 1:30 am
dangrover

dangrover

ShoveBox

from San Francisco, CA
39 posts

Packerfan wrote:

Ok to the crashing aspect, DONT set shortcuts in the beginning when it prompts you, leave them blank go through the other pages, then go back to prefs and set it up.  I found it would crash whenever I did shortcuts so I decided to not do them and since then it has worked well.

This bug was fixed Friday and the fix has been up since. If you download the current copy, it should not crash on that screen.

Dan Grover - developer of ShoveBox and ShoveBox Mobile
Follow me on Twitter: @dangrover

Like music? Check out our upcoming iPhone app.

November 11, 2009 7:56 am

weskicannon

Urchin

2 posts

Any plans to enable sub-folders to be set up?

November 11, 2009 2:40 pm
ebrad

ebrad

Tinkerer

46 posts

weskicannon wrote:

You don't need sub-folders. ShoveBox is not meant to be a replacement for the file-system or a more complex app like DEVONthink. It is meant to be a temporary container for files, ideas, and stuff that you'll sort/organize/get-to later. It's not an archive, it's an inbox. Thus, you really don't need subfolders.

November 11, 2009 5:43 pm
marow

marow

Tinkerer

from Germany
45 posts

abeckstrom wrote:

Just starting to get into ShoveBox. Using it for storeing URLs I want to read later/offline, but don't necessarily want to bookmark (Delicious) or save forever (Evernote).  Finally, seeing its value.

instapaper?

Thx to the people who used my ref link smile

November 11, 2009 6:28 pm
kingkaramel

kingkaramel

Automaton Tech

from Germany
415 posts

abeckstrom wrote:

Just starting to get into ShoveBox. Using it for storeing URLs I want to read later/offline, but don't necessarily want to bookmark (Delicious) or save forever (Evernote).  Finally, seeing its value.

Quiet Read? wink

November 11, 2009 6:53 pm
dangrover

dangrover

ShoveBox

from San Francisco, CA
39 posts

ebrad wrote:
weskicannon wrote:

You don't need sub-folders. ShoveBox is not meant to be a replacement for the file-system or a more complex app like DEVONthink. It is meant to be a temporary container for files, ideas, and stuff that you'll sort/organize/get-to later. It's not an archive, it's an inbox. Thus, you really don't need subfolders.

Thank you. smile

Dan Grover - developer of ShoveBox and ShoveBox Mobile
Follow me on Twitter: @dangrover

Like music? Check out our upcoming iPhone app.

November 12, 2009 4:34 pm
valente.mac

valente.mac

Gearhead

83 posts

I think ShoveBox is the best to sync data (mostly notes, images and webarchives) between my MBP and my iPod Touch. Other than that I use it as a inbox, temporary storage unit. Great app, not intrusive at all and always at hand. smile

Dropbox referral smile
Extra note: "I don't think I've ever been a part of a true disaster before."

November 13, 2009 7:51 am
vasilistsir

vasilistsir

Urchin

2 posts

Useful app! I use it mostly for saving urls, so I avoid cluttering my bookmarks.

I also like the Bookmarklet. It's a great timesaver and can be found here: wonderwarp.com/files/docs/shovebox/capture.html

November 18, 2009 12:15 pm
justinjmoss

justinjmoss

Tinkerer

from Nebraska
27 posts

ebrad wrote:

I hope this critical remark of mine is taken as well-intentioned.  I love some aspects of ShoveBox's interface and don't care for some others.  But since the developer agrees that this is the purpose of ShoveBox, I think it's useful to consider what it means in practice.

Since it's easy to get information into a more complex app - some of which have inboxes - I don't see what the point of having a temporary inbox is when you can just as easily send an item straight to your other information manager with, say, a drag-and-drop move, or a push of a bookmarklet link, or just dropping it on the desktop for later processing.  Together, for example, has no inbox, but it's easy to make a smart folder for untagged (i.e., unprocessed) items and call it the Inbox.  And Together, of course, comes with a plethora of bookmarklets, the Shelf, and the ability to just drop stuff on the Dock icon.

As a second comment, if it's a temporary inbox and not an archive, then why does stuff stay in the database when you drag it out of the organizer to the desktop (or elsewhere)?

Though I love its simplicity, I think it is a bit too simple, and thus the practical effect of the "ShoveBox as a temporary inbox" view seems to me like an extra and superfluous minor step in the workflow.  I think that adding a little bit more complexity for ShoveBox would help it greatly, although I'm not sure quite how.  Smart folders would help, and multi-machine syncing would be great as well.  If those things and other features were added, then ShoveBox would seem to me to be well-positioned to compete with Evernote, as it would appeal to people who like Evernote for its ubiquitous capture but dislike its complex interface.

As always, just my two cents' worth.

November 18, 2009 6:58 pm

bytor99999@gmail.com

Urchin

3 posts

I still don't understand the purpose of the app. Are we syncing files among computers and phones? Do the files get put somewhere. If it is about syncing files among computers, can't I just put it in the share drive, and when I am at home on my wireless, I just copy and past on the directory/share? Sorry I am confused, I think it might be really cool.

November 19, 2009 11:21 pm
ebrad

ebrad

Tinkerer

46 posts

justinjmoss wrote:
ebrad wrote:

I hope this critical remark of mine is taken as well-intentioned.  I love some aspects of ShoveBox's interface and don't care for some others.  But since the developer agrees that this is the purpose of ShoveBox, I think it's useful to consider what it means in practice.

Since it's easy to get information into a more complex app - some of which have inboxes - I don't see what the point of having a temporary inbox is when you can just as easily send an item straight to your other information manager with, say, a drag-and-drop move, or a push of a bookmarklet link, or just dropping it on the desktop for later processing.  Together, for example, has no inbox, but it's easy to make a smart folder for untagged (i.e., unprocessed) items and call it the Inbox.  And Together, of course, comes with a plethora of bookmarklets, the Shelf, and the ability to just drop stuff on the Dock icon.

It really does depend on your workflow. I use Shovebox, both for the mac and the ipod, as a GTD-like bucket for stuff. I've found that it works really well for that. It also works pretty well for either saving a document to the ipod for reviewing later or keeping a series of text documents synced between the ipod and mac.

I've used database apps like Together and DEVONthink and I prefer to store my flies in the file system for the most part. I use Circus Ponies Notebook to outline and take notes on most things, but it is terrible as an file organizer/collector. I also make heavy use of The Hit List and OpenMeta tagging for files. I like working close to the file system and using programs which link to the files I have on hand, which give me different perspectives on my data. But, I also like self-contained spaces for writing and note-taking. So, the use of a light intermediate app to capture stuff fits nicely into my workflow at the moment.

You have a point that if you are already using an app like Together or the newer versions of DEVONthink which have robust capturing capabilities, then ShoveBox probably doesn't make a lot of sense to add to your workflow.

justinjmoss wrote:

As a second comment, if it's a temporary inbox and not an archive, then why does stuff stay in the database when you drag it out of the organizer to the desktop (or elsewhere)?

This is a question more for Dan than myself. I could see that as being a switch in the preferences of the app, but I don’t know the thought process behind that behavior.

justinjmoss wrote:

Though I love its simplicity, I think it is a bit too simple, and thus the practical effect of the "ShoveBox as a temporary inbox" view seems to me like an extra and superfluous minor step in the workflow.  I think that adding a little bit more complexity for ShoveBox would help it greatly, although I'm not sure quite how.  Smart folders would help, and multi-machine syncing would be great as well.  If those things and other features were added, then ShoveBox would seem to me to be well-positioned to compete with Evernote, as it would appeal to people who like Evernote for its ubiquitous capture but dislike its complex interface.

As always, just my two cents' worth.

It does have smart folders to an extent. Like Mail.app you can define rules and move things do different folders based on certain criteria. There is actually some really cool stuff you can do with the AppleScript in conjunction with the rules.

Dan has clearly thought through ShoveBox’s place on the computer and has a pretty good justification for why it is purposely simple.

http://www.wonderwarp.com/blog/archives/107

His points about the end of the desktop metaphor are quite useful in seeing the place of this app. If you have one app that does everything in this new philosophy of the workspace like Together, then you probably don’t need shovebox. But, when you organize closer to the filesystem, I find that a polished inbox to capture stuff quickly and easily is quite beneficial to my workflow.

This is an interesting discussion. The interface for computers is changing rapidly and I think more discussion about what concepts work for people in this changing paradigm is helpful to us all.

November 21, 2009 7:15 am

pizzazz

Urchin

1 posts

Is this ShoveBox version 1.7.6?

December 10, 2009 3:57 pm
Sulcalibur

Sulcalibur

Automaton Tech

from London, United Kingdom
366 posts

I love ShoveBox. I use it as a virtual inbox using the whole GTD method. Literally, anything that interests me, I drag in there then sort out later. Simple and VERY effective.

You should Follow me at - Sulcalibur cool
You know it makes sense wink

December 12, 2009 3:25 pm

cwr0747

Urchin

1 posts

I have not yet received a shovebox license code from Nov 9 download of the free apps bundle.

December 21, 2009 4:57 pm
hedgeworth

hedgeworth

Gearhead

from Canada
59 posts

I use ShoveBox for keeping snippets of info to be used later then discarded, lists and cheat sheets (e.g. paper sizes), very handy. Agreed it's not really a place to put everything, but it'll store bits of text and things until you decide you don't need to summon them often anymore. At that point you can move them out for permanent storage elsewhere.   

The mobile version is nice for reviewing info (e.g. presentation slides) while on the run, or jotting a note to sync back to the desktop later.

December 23, 2009 4:54 am
koki

koki

Automaton Tech

444 posts

Sulcalibur wrote:

I love ShoveBox. I use it as a virtual inbox using the whole GTD method. Literally, anything that interests me, I drag in there then sort out later. Simple and VERY effective.

That's how I use it - mostly with websites. I'll bookmark them in the app and return to them later, mostly because if bookmark the website in the browser, they'll never get read.

▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

December 24, 2009 8:18 pm

sking

Tinkerer

26 posts

Hey I've been using shovebox for a couple of months now and I really like it. I'm considering buying the app for my ipod touch, does anyone on here use it? What do you think of it?

Please follow me: twitter.com/tastysteak
Want to make money with your iDevice? http://d84ec6c2.linkbucks.com

January 8, 2010 4:42 am

setyono

Urchin

from Buton
7 posts

I'm pretty sure I got the license for Shovebox from MacHeist, but it's nowhere to be found on my loot. Does this also happen to everyone else? I'm going to do a clean install, and normally I have all my serials in my email, but I couldn't find it either.

On another note, wasn't there a 1password given out for free as well? Didn't install it that time, but now I realize it might actually be useful smile

Thanks

May 19, 2010 5:44 pm

simlid

Urchin

4 posts

setyono wrote:

I'm pretty sure I got the license for Shovebox from MacHeist, but it's nowhere to be found on my loot. Does this also happen to everyone else? I'm going to do a clean install, and normally I have all my serials in my email, but I couldn't find it either.

On another note, wasn't there a 1password given out for free as well? Didn't install it that time, but now I realize it might actually be useful smile

Thanks

I have the same question, why can we not find this in loot or order lookup, what was different smile

Help !!!

WC

September 20, 2010 7:10 pm
geauxvols

geauxvols

Big Game Hunter

from East Texas, U.S.A.
589 posts

simlid wrote:
setyono wrote:

Thanks

I have the same question, why can we not find this in loot or order lookup, what was different smile

Help !!!

WC

http://www.macheist.com/order

Click nanobundle1 (at least that is where I received Shovebox.)

iPhone Reviews, Apps, Tips and Tricks | Follow theiphoneand.us on Twitter

September 20, 2010 9:45 pm

simlid

Urchin

4 posts

I tried that Jewel but it does not show there

September 20, 2010 9:51 pm
WalrusCP

WalrusCP

Big Game Hunter

from NoVA
897 posts

Am I the only one annoyed that the Mac and iPhone version have been neglected for nearly a full year?

Get a 2GB Dropbox account + additional space free for you & me

Just wait until you see the mega unlock goal. (Hint, it involves a lot of dead kittens.) – Phill Ryu

September 21, 2010 1:30 am
f16332

f16332

Sky Pirate

1,135 posts

Dont even use the app... never found a use for it.

DropBox Referral: 2.25GB FreeSpace

September 21, 2010 2:14 am
choma

choma

Automaton Tech

from uk
496 posts

why not just use dropbox or something similar, or even a folder on your desktop?

▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜
Use my DROPBOX link and we both get an extra 250mb free!
https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTYxNTMzNDk

September 21, 2010 8:18 am

trex

Urchin

2 posts

Here is an other great app, I love it and use it everyday.  The bonus is that I have the app for the ipod and a lot of times I will make a shopping list, sync it to the ipod and go shopping.  Since it is a ipod it can only sync with WiFi, but it will keep your last items sync.  Evernote does not maintain that list so it is useless in that type of stituation.

Using shovebox for all of the typical ideas is great, but I love that I can pull it out any where and have the window measurements when I see curtains on sale.

October 1, 2010 4:21 pm
jfm429

jfm429

Sky Pirate

from Behind You
2,196 posts

trex wrote:

Reported for possible spam; my apologies if that isn't the case...

NovaStorm Software || @NovaStormSW || @jfm429 || Dropbox + Extra Storage

"I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not have C++ in mind."
- Alan Kay, inventor of Object-Oriented programming

October 1, 2010 4:25 pm
cianmm

cianmm

Automaton Tech

from Dublin, Ireland
408 posts

Has there been any update from the dev re the syncing feature he was talking about expanding from the iphone app to be across all your macs?

Here comes my fourth season of MacHeist!

October 2, 2010 3:56 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ ShoveBox

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?