Forums

★ Tales of Monkey Island

MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ Tales of Monkey Island
WebKarnage

WebKarnage

Big Game Hunter

from UK
777 posts

@Anamanfan I've seen a cheeky hack to get that to work somewhere I'm sure! It also allowed you to run the GPU gaster too I think. Can't find it right now, but that would be an interesting trick!

Thanks for the full explanation. That does seem like a donkey move on the part of Apple to limit it like that.

with best regards,
Karn.

The Optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds, the Pessimist fears this is true.

March 9, 2010 9:00 am
johnnybdot

johnnybdot

Gearhead

77 posts

kblessinggr wrote:
Anamanfan wrote:
kblessinggr wrote:

Never thought a story game would be too slow for my macbook...

A story game using 3D graphics is very new to a lot of Mac users. When Apple first announced the Intel MacBooks and found out they were using an Intel Integrated chip, I knew that down the line it was going to be the bane of my existence. Apple did not disappoint in this regard. hmm

But here's the funny part, the graphics in the game didn't seem all that advanced in which case I would think I could play it fine, especially since I've played both Half Life 2 and Doom 3 in high mode on this macbook, yet Tales of Monkey Island skips around constantly without nearly as much texture (maybe its the geometry?)

That's kind of what I was complaining about (I'm able to play Bioshock at full resolution but not Monkey Island above lowest settings), on a MacPro with X1900 that is...
I wonder if someone from Tellgame Games could comment on what makes the Monkey Island 3D engine so much more power hungry than the Unreal Tournament 3 engine or HalfLife?

bvp663 wrote:

Are you using an external monitor? I had both my laptop screen up as well as my external and was playing the game on my external screen and kept getting game freezes as well. Closing the lid on the laptop and only using the external monitor fixed the problem.

I'm using a MacPro two 2,66 GHz Xeons, 6GB Ram and Ati X1900 and, naturally, an external monitor (Dell U2410), so no fix for me? Telltale?

Get Dropbox through my referral link (you get 250MB more than usually): https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTY0NDU4MzQ5
Many thanks!

March 9, 2010 2:14 pm
Jenneil

Jenneil

Automaton Tech

483 posts

I am really starting to wonder why this game was included in MacHeist, especially as 1 of 2 anchor apps (no offense TellTale - just reality). I see way too many people having problems with this game on modern systems.

DropBox referral Link

March 9, 2010 3:15 pm
govermeyer

govermeyer

Tinkerer

from PA 17579
41 posts

Is there any reason not to download all five chapters, burn them onto a DVD and then play the game from the DVD? I'd like to free up some hard drive space.

iMac, therefore I am.

March 9, 2010 5:32 pm
GSJLink

GSJLink

Urchin

2 posts

Is it possible to register the serials of my nanoBundle 2 on steam?

March 9, 2010 6:14 pm
iDarbert

iDarbert

Big Game Hunter

from Lost Town
701 posts

govermeyer wrote:

Is there any reason not to download all five chapters, burn them onto a DVD and then play the game from the DVD? I'd like to free up some hard drive space.

No reason I can think of. The savegames are stored locally so it should work.
Be prepared to maybe slightly longer load times due to the optical drive

March 9, 2010 6:27 pm
mrsnapper

mrsnapper

Urchin

6 posts

I'm unable to even launch MonkeyIsland, it just hangs.  Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Mac OS X 10.6.2 MacBook Pro 4GB Ram 8600GT

March 9, 2010 6:59 pm
kblessinggr

kblessinggr

Automaton Tech

from Grand Rapids, Michigan
176 posts

Funny thing... runs just fine when I reboot into Windows 7 (x64) on Bootcamp and I got a early 2008 13" Macbook with the intergrated X3100 (ie: the last 144MB intergrated intel chipset). But on the OSX side it runs like it just can't handle it.

Edit:
Full Specs in case it helps
Early 08 Macbook 13.3" White, 4GB Ram, OSX 10.6.2, Core2 Duo 2.1ghz

On the windows side: Windows 7 x64, (since its 64bit I get the full 4GB rams)

I suspect on the windows side, the drivers are somehow able to access more than the usual 144MB of video memory (the GMA950 model before this one only had 64MB).

March 9, 2010 8:03 pm

bjoerne

Urchin

1 posts

Hello,

if i click on "Get License" on macheist.com i am forwarded to "telltale games" and then my gift code appears with the message:

"We couldn't find that code. Please double-check your typing. If it still doesn't work, e-mail us for help."

If i want to buy it on telltalegames.com and enter the code, it says, that is not a valid code hmm. Does anyone have the same problem?

March 9, 2010 8:04 pm
moviegod

moviegod

Automaton Tech

from Germany
188 posts

moviegod wrote:
Anamanfan wrote:

moviegod: E-mail support at support at telltalegames dot com

We've also found that there are some broken permissions issues that were introduced in 10.5.8. If you run disc utility and hit 'repair permissions', it may clear up any problems.

I wrote a mail to support yesterday.

I repaired the permissions, but my old password didn't magically appear, so I still can't start the game.

I tried the Manual Unlock, wich means I just sent five more mails to the telltale support. I really don't get why I have to go through this, since I have all the serial numbers.

Yeah, still nothing.

DropBox Referral: 2.25GB free backup space

March 9, 2010 9:01 pm

thebanite

Tinkerer

13 posts

I'm having issues downloading the other chapters. Now, I am hesitant as it keeps asking me to buy something I bought already via MH, maybe that's the problem. How did you guys do it?

March 9, 2010 11:06 pm
dAlen

dAlen

Tinkerer

44 posts

The program has run fine, for me, far as computer hardware compatibility is concerned. [2.5Ghz macbookpro, 10.5]
Main issues are with actual game play which I addressed to support. [One being the save feature.]

Other than the minor hiccups encountered, its been entertaining and Im looking forward to future monkey islands.
[and/or ports of the older ones like escape from monkey island... but Im really digging all the movies story lines in tales from monkey island]

Peace

dAlen

March 10, 2010 12:17 am

merlyn

Urchin

2 posts

Can't get this to fire up...  and I'm not the only one - www(dot)telltalegames(dot)com(slash)forums(slash)showthread.php?p=267811

Looks like a useless part of this MacHeist.

March 10, 2010 12:20 am

bunnydrumming

Urchin

7 posts

got really hacked off trying to control this game with my Logitech mxAir mouse - I was waving it in all sorts of stange places but thanks to someone suggesting I use the keys I am now happily in charge of my pirate ship.... but about to get my hand chopped off by the doctor!

Thanks for this game - much more my sort of game then blood and gore war games!!!

March 10, 2010 12:41 am
Bob70011

Bob70011

Tinkerer

23 posts

Fun game so far, but the camera system makes me want to strangle someone.

March 10, 2010 2:17 am
iBatman

iBatman

Urchin

7 posts

The game also freezes on me.    To the point of me having to shut down the Mac by holding the power button.   :X   Yikes.    Not such a good addition to the bundle.

March 10, 2010 5:57 am
pablosinfonian

pablosinfonian

Automaton Tech

from Denver, Colorado
157 posts

Episode 1 should be renamed "The Failed Launch of the Screaming Narwhal" or The Launch of the Screaming Fail Whale".  None of the episodes will launch on my 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro.  None of the suggestions on the support forums work.  One more thing to try...

Nope.  That didn't work either (disconnecting my TV).  I guess I'll have to download the Windows versions.

I sure hope Telltale gets their act together soon.

Orange and black... that reminds me of something...
Craptastic.

March 10, 2010 6:39 am
ksc91u

ksc91u

Urchin

2 posts

Already register and create an account, but still could not unlock the game...

Republic of Taiwan

March 10, 2010 11:54 am
smokeytams

smokeytams

Gearhead

65 posts

I have had no problems so far (except in Window mode where the mouse control was rather erratic) So I only play in full screen now.
Mind you, I am only on episode 1 so far.

▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

March 10, 2010 4:08 pm

d_mcmullen

Urchin

5 posts

Not being technically conversant, I'm having trouble understanding why this game will not work on my iMac or why it was included in the MacHeist bundle if it is not going to work.

My specs are as follows:

Mac OS X version 10.5.8

Processor:  2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 2 GB 667 Mhz

Display/Graphics:
ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro:

Chipset Model:    ATI,RadeonHD2600
  Type:    Display
  Bus:    PCIe
  PCIe Lane Width:    x16
  VRAM (Total):    256 MB
  Vendor:    ATI (0x1002)
  Device ID:    0x9583
  Revision ID:    0x0000
  ROM Revision:    113-B2250F-219
  EFI Driver Version:    01.00.219
  Displays:
iMac:
  Resolution:    1920 x 1200
  Depth:    32-Bit Color
  Core Image:    Hardware Accelerated
  Main Display:    Yes
  Mirror:    Off
  Online:    Yes
  Quartz Extreme:    Supported
  Built-In:    Yes
Display Connector:

Has anyone got any idea what I can do to make it run!?

March 10, 2010 4:11 pm
johnnybdot

johnnybdot

Gearhead

77 posts

I think the problem is that it doesn't work on GMA chips "because Apple messed up the drivers", but they made sure that it also doesn't work on every other Mac, you know, "justice" (or really bad port?)...

Get Dropbox through my referral link (you get 250MB more than usually): https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTY0NDU4MzQ5
Many thanks!

March 10, 2010 5:10 pm
lowededwookie

lowededwookie

Tinkerer

from New Zealand
29 posts

This is the ONLY app in the bundle I needed more than life itself.

I've played Monkey Island ever since it first came out on the Amiga and rued the day it left for the PC world. Now it's back and better than ever although I don't like the movement control with the mouse. I instead just use the keys.

"Eeeeeh, now my cheese is staring at me" is the greatest game quote ever. smile

"Even if you're in a minority of one it doesn't mean you're wrong"

George Orwell - Nineteen Eighty Four

March 10, 2010 6:48 pm

infusion

Urchin

9 posts

I don't get it.
After paying for the Macheist Nanobundle I clicked on the link which brought me to the Telltale website asking me to create an account which resulted in several download links (and license numbers) for other games ("Launch of the Screaming Narwhal", "Lair of the Leviathan" etc.) but no download link for "Tales of Monkey Island" even though the login page shows an order number at the bottom for it, under the title "Stuff you've bought: a retrospective".

Please explain what I need to do.

March 10, 2010 8:09 pm
iDarbert

iDarbert

Big Game Hunter

from Lost Town
701 posts

infusion wrote:

I don't get it.
After paying for the Macheist Nanobundle I clicked on the link which brought me to the Telltale website asking me to create an account which resulted in several download links (and license numbers) for other games ("Launch of the Screaming Narwhal", "Lair of the Leviathan" etc.) but no download link for "Tales of Monkey Island" even though the login page shows an order number at the bottom for it, under the title "Stuff you've bought: a retrospective".

Please explain what I need to do.

Tales of Monkey Island is the name of the Series, the games you downloaded are the single episodes of the series.
To put it simply: Launch of The Screaming NArwhal + Lair of The Leviathan + the other games = Tales of Monkey Island

March 10, 2010 8:32 pm

jamesaallen

Urchin

1 posts

I have downloaded this game, installed it etc, when I open it it just jumps up and down in my dock then crashes, any ideas? I've tried re-installing, no luck sad

March 10, 2010 10:36 pm
iDarbert

iDarbert

Big Game Hunter

from Lost Town
701 posts

jamesaallen wrote:

I have downloaded this game, installed it etc, when I open it it just jumps up and down in my dock then crashes, any ideas? I've tried re-installing, no luck sad

Seems like you are one of the unlucky folks who are experiencing crashes, it appears to be happening under Leopard mostly.

You should keep an eye on the support thread @ http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/sho … /?p=267811 and see if something new about these issues come up.

Right now some of the solutions proposed were:
• Repair your permissions
• Try creating a new user and running the game from there

March 10, 2010 11:41 pm

Pumpi

Urchin

1 posts

jamesaallen wrote:

Same problem...

March 11, 2010 1:08 am
smokeytams

smokeytams

Gearhead

65 posts

d_mcmullen wrote:

Not being technically conversant, I'm having trouble understanding why this game will not work on my iMac or why it was included in the MacHeist bundle if it is not going to work.

My specs are as follows:

Mac OS X version 10.5.8

Processor:  2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 2 GB 667 Mhz

Display/Graphics:
ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro:

Chipset Model:    ATI,RadeonHD2600
  Type:    Display
  Bus:    PCIe
  PCIe Lane Width:    x16
  VRAM (Total):    256 MB
  Vendor:    ATI (0x1002)
  Device ID:    0x9583
  Revision ID:    0x0000
  ROM Revision:    113-B2250F-219
  EFI Driver Version:    01.00.219
  Displays:
iMac:
  Resolution:    1920 x 1200
  Depth:    32-Bit Color
  Core Image:    Hardware Accelerated
  Main Display:    Yes
  Mirror:    Off
  Online:    Yes
  Quartz Extreme:    Supported
  Built-In:    Yes
Display Connector:

Has anyone got any idea what I can do to make it run!?

You have the same specs as mine except for three minor differences.

I only have 1 gig of system ram and your graphics card Rom revision and EFI driver versions are older than mine.

March 11, 2010 5:18 am
Jenneil

Jenneil

Automaton Tech

483 posts

iDarbert wrote:

...You should keep an eye on the support thread @ http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/sho … /?p=267811 and see if something new about these issues come up.

I have been watching TellTale Forums.

I have repaired permissions, but I refuse to create a new user on my machine. I shouldn't have to in order to play the game and I do not want to dedicate precious HD space in order to do so.

So far, TellTale response to this problem has not been very reassuring. I am going to submit a ticket this weekend if I do not hear about a better workaround or an outright fix. I hate to waste their time with one more ticket for the same problem, but I am frustrated they even participated in this bundle knowing for over a month that this was a major issue for a majority of modern spec mac users (see the forums).

DropBox referral Link

March 11, 2010 5:27 am
smokeytams

smokeytams

Gearhead

65 posts

In my opinion, the Mac version of this game should only be classed as a Beta. As it seems clear that it has not been thoroughly tested.

March 11, 2010 5:43 am

utahraptor

Urchin

1 posts

bjoerne wrote:

Hello,

if i click on "Get License" on macheist.com i am forwarded to "telltale games" and then my gift code appears with the message:

"We couldn't find that code. Please double-check your typing. If it still doesn't work, e-mail us for help."

If i want to buy it on telltalegames.com and enter the code, it says, that is not a valid code hmm. Does anyone have the same problem?

I had the same problem.

So I bet you've created your account at telltale. At the top, there is a joystick in the navigation bar. It says "your games". Click on that. It will show you your serials.

March 11, 2010 11:07 am
iDarbert

iDarbert

Big Game Hunter

from Lost Town
701 posts

Jenneil wrote:
iDarbert wrote:

...You should keep an eye on the support thread @ http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/sho … /?p=267811 and see if something new about these issues come up.

I have been watching TellTale Forums.

I have repaired permissions, but I refuse to create a new user on my machine. I shouldn't have to in order to play the game and I do not want to dedicate precious HD space in order to do so.

Yeah, I wouldn't do that either. It's pretty extreme.

So far, TellTale response to this problem has not been very reassuring. I am going to submit a ticket this weekend if I do not hear about a better workaround or an outright fix. I hate to waste their time with one more ticket for the same problem, but I am frustrated they even participated in this bundle knowing for over a month that this was a major issue for a majority of modern spec mac users (see the forums).

Well you gotta cut them some slack, it's their first time working with Macs and they have been kind enough not to just ship the game with Cider and call it a port.

But yes, I understand it must be fairly annoying not being able to play the game.

March 11, 2010 1:43 pm
smokeytams

smokeytams

Gearhead

65 posts

These were my suggestions.
Creating a new account would only be a temporary thing and could be deleted afterwards.

The reason for suggesting this was because I had an occasion where an application would not run in one account, but worked fine in the other, which indicated there was a problem that needed investigating in the first account.

Does that make sense?

March 11, 2010 3:44 pm
mpettitt

mpettitt

Urchin

1 posts

Well, I'm enjoying it...

Works fine so far on 2.5GHz Macbook Pro with 4GB RAM and a GeForce 8600M GT GPU in...

Am running Snow Leopard, if that makes any difference?

March 11, 2010 7:09 pm
iDarbert

iDarbert

Big Game Hunter

from Lost Town
701 posts

smokeytams wrote:

Well, repairing permissions was also suggested by the local TellTale Games rep.

Creating a new account would only be a temporary thing and could be deleted afterwards.

The reason for suggesting this was because I had an occasion where an application would not run in one account, but worked fine in the other, which indicated there was a problem that needed investigating in the first account.

Does that make sense?

Yes, a lot of magazines suggest this as well but it's kind of an overkill to me, it's an effective albeit "cheap" troubleshooting technique.

March 11, 2010 7:56 pm

jonawe76

Urchin

1 posts

So I guess I am a moron.  I don't have the intel on my old eMac.  Can I take the files and save them  for my next mac somehow?
I thought with OS X 4.1 I'd be fine, never looked at what hardware I'd need.  Pretty much all the aps are going to be useless on this machine.  Any ideas?

March 11, 2010 11:14 pm
BugSquash

BugSquash

Gearhead

from Houston
80 posts

iDarbert wrote:

Does that make sense?

Yes, a lot of magazines suggest this as well but it's kind of an overkill to me, it's an effective albeit "cheap" troubleshooting technique.

Or you could just turn on guest login (if it's not already) and use that.

March 11, 2010 11:38 pm
Anamanfan

Anamanfan

Developer

from San Francisco Bay Area
26 posts

A new update to all Monkey versions posted!
Please go to MyTelltale to pick them up!

Also, you can now pre-order your DVD of Tales of Monkey Island.

March 12, 2010 12:45 am
Jenneil

Jenneil

Automaton Tech

483 posts

smokeytams wrote:

Does that make sense?

No actually that was also the recommendation by staff over at TellTale. They had heard it was successful for some and recommended it for others.

Regardless, I am trying to be patient. It is just abnormal for MacHeist to contain apps that are so hit or miss.

Edited to Add: Downloaded update just now and same issue. Bounces in dock and wont open. Tried from Disk image and from App folder. No luck.

DropBox referral Link

March 12, 2010 2:42 am
mauko

mauko

Automaton Tech

219 posts

Same problems her with Snow Leopard...

There is NO signature, do you see a signature?

March 12, 2010 9:11 am
iDarbert

iDarbert

Big Game Hunter

from Lost Town
701 posts

Anamanfan wrote:

A new update to all Monkey versions posted!
Please go to MyTelltale to pick them up!

Also, you can now pre-order your DVD of Tales of Monkey Island.

Awesome! My buddy is still on Leopard so hopefully this will let him play big_smile

March 12, 2010 1:08 pm
cmason

cmason

Sky Pirate

from Toronto, Canada
1,344 posts

Just got an email notice about the "free" DVD.  Looks like the cheapest shipping option to Canada is $18, which is 5 cents more than I paid for the bundle.  I think I'll pass.  I'm enjoying the game though!

March 12, 2010 9:35 pm
NeostarNeko

NeostarNeko

Tinkerer

14 posts

What the hell $18 to ship to the UK!!!

I'm gonna pass on this too sad

March 12, 2010 11:18 pm
cmason

cmason

Sky Pirate

from Toronto, Canada
1,344 posts

NeostarNeko wrote:

What the hell $18 to ship to the UK!!!

I'm gonna pass on this too sad

That's typical for Europe, I think.  Usually shipping a CD or DVD to Canada is just a buck or two more than internally within the US, so I don't really understand the Canadian pricing.  I didn't expect more than $4 or $5.

March 12, 2010 11:26 pm
johnnybdot

johnnybdot

Gearhead

77 posts

It's also way too much for shipping a DVD to Europe, especially since the game won't even work properly...

Many thanks!

March 13, 2010 12:19 am

k2sull

Urchin

1 posts

I have downloaded it twice and i get the same outcome with all 5 chapters - app bounces in the dock and then just unexpectedly quits!!!  I am trying to play it on my Mac Book Pro 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo laptop.  I have seen on Telltale's website where others have had this problem, but no answers are given.  Does anyone know a work around to actually make the game run?  I would hate to have to install this on a PC to play!!!

March 13, 2010 12:30 am
cmason

cmason

Sky Pirate

from Toronto, Canada
1,344 posts

k2sull wrote:

I have downloaded it twice and i get the same outcome with all 5 chapters - app bounces in the dock and then just unexpectedly quits!!!  I am trying to play it on my Mac Book Pro 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo laptop.  I have seen on Telltale's website where others have had this problem, but no answers are given.  Does anyone know a work around to actually make the game run?  I would hate to have to install this on a PC to play!!!

I don't have any trouble on my Macbook Pro 2.5.  Performance could be better, and there are occasional glitches, but I haven't had it crash, and it seems to work well enough.  I still manage play it at full resolution and maximum settings.

I do have some minor complaints though. It would be nice if performance were better on slower systems.  I wish it could store preferences centrally, as well, so I don't have to reset them with every new chapter (why does each episode need to have separate graphics settings??)  I hate how ESC takes me back to the game menu instead of just getting out of an inventory view.  I wish they had a help screen with key settings.  Finally I wish there was a way to manually save the game, since sometimes I've quit and had to repeat a fair bit.  I also detest how the keyboard navigation is absolute instead of relative, as in Escape From Monkey Island.  Up arrow should mean forward, not North!

Basically the story and game are great, but I wish the interface was at least as good as Monkey Island IV.

March 13, 2010 12:59 am

strangetpwn

Automaton Tech

122 posts

In each of the past few years Telltale has held a promotion around November offering free worldwide shipping on orders over $50.

Only physical items count towards the total (so not download games), but you can for example, order a couple of their books, t-shirts etc. and add your free season DVD to be shipped with the order too. I got my Sam & Max season 1 & 2, and Strongbad discs sent this way.

Edit: Actually, I've just read the email and they are running the promotion now too. Any orders through midnight PST on March 28th qualify.

Earn us both 5000MB extra space when signing up for Dropbox, thanks

March 13, 2010 3:01 am
quantumhobbit

quantumhobbit

Tinkerer

27 posts

Well I know that there have been plenty of complaints here but I want to thank TellTale Games for including the Windows version of the software.  ToMI had no chance of running on my Intel GMA 950 Macbook, but it runs fairly well in XP under bootcamp.  I can even turn up the graphical detail some.  Not perfect, but at least they included the pc version for those of us on older machines.

March 13, 2010 3:44 am
mykol

mykol

Tinkerer

from Philippines
44 posts

i've tried downloading from telltale for n times already, and each 220MB file is always corrupted. anyone having this problem too?

dropbox referral link: https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTMxMTA5NDk

March 13, 2010 4:37 am
MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ Tales of Monkey Island

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?