Forums

AppSumo Facebook Ad...

MacHeist Forums » The Lounge » AppSumo Facebook Ad...
ciaravino

ciaravino

Automaton Tech

439 posts

What do you guys think of this Facebook ad? Misleading? Good? Is it even legal? yikes

http://cl.ly/5pLu

April 7, 2011 11:46 am

JPlay

Automaton Tech

121 posts

Strikes me as 'good' in sense of attracting attention, getting eyes on what's being advertised.

Seems illegal unless appsumo has explicit permission to use Steve Jobs likeness in their advertising campaigns.

April 7, 2011 5:31 pm
mud212

mud212

Big Game Hunter

from Dorothy's Oz
749 posts

As long as they don't make any false claims relevant to the image - i.e. "Steve Jobs uses/endorses our product." - it's perfectly legal.

April 7, 2011 5:41 pm
Lawdom

Lawdom

Automaton Tech

from Iowa
142 posts

They have a picture of Steve Jobs under the name AppSumo, an endorsement of the product next to the picture, and the word "Sponsored" under the whole thing. This is made to look like Steve Jobs is sponsoring AppSumo, and that is precisely the type of harm that state Right of Publicity laws (such as California Civil Code section 3344) were enacted to curtail.

April 7, 2011 6:33 pm
Miah

Miah

3,692 posts

This is correct. It's considered a branch of libel. In this specific case, one could make an easy case arguing that it severely cheapens his public image.

䷟䷽䷏䷁ — Dying of the Light.

April 7, 2011 7:00 pm
ciaravino

ciaravino

Automaton Tech

439 posts

I was surprised to see it. It just seems kind of desperate. Since Apple has been doing so well the last couple of years, a lot of people know of Steve Jobs and what he looks like (even people that only use a Mac or iPhone for regular computer use). It feels like they are taking advantage of Job's success to fuel their own - which is a pretty shady move, in my opinion. Well, that's not putting it that well because I guess the same could be said about app developers...

April 7, 2011 9:35 pm
izdale

izdale

Sky Pirate

from the U.S.
1,769 posts

I did bring this up once before: http://www.macheist.com/forums/viewtopi … 69#p390169

The one I saw still had the Jobs picture, but it also mentioned MacHeist.

Find deals on Mac apps at Mac App Deals

April 7, 2011 11:31 pm
ciaravino

ciaravino

Automaton Tech

439 posts

izdale wrote:

I did bring this up once before: http://www.macheist.com/forums/viewtopi … 69#p390169

The one I saw still had the Jobs picture, but it also mentioned MacHeist.

I'm surprised nothing has happened to their Facebook ads...then again, 90% of Facebook ads are shit anyway.

Don't "like" video games on your account or all you'll see is a bunch of shit games being advertised and EVERY single one says the same thing, "Warning: this game is the most addictive game on Facebook. You've been warned." But, of course with misspellings and grammatical errors. Facebook has the potential to make SO much money. I don't even know why they allow ads from shit like this...

April 8, 2011 1:21 am
MacHeist Forums » The Lounge » AppSumo Facebook Ad...

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?