Forums

Pretty much confirmed: MacHeist is basically dead. Long live AdHeist!

MacHeist Forums » The Heist » Pretty much confirmed: MacHeist is basically dead. Long live AdHeist!

Flicker

Urchin

1 posts

Mod Edit: Stop reporting this post.

So I guess it's all but confirmed by the Directorate themselves that MacHeist is in its death throes. After two years of small goodies, the Directorate, in all of its infinite wisdom, decided that calling back its entire userbase to lead them on for a single and not all that impressive 99¢ app was a good idea.

I'd just like to point out here that everyone here came for MACheist, not iOSheist. There wasn't even a puzzle to solve to get to this point, and now we're expected to pay to play your stupid gimmick? Let's not forget that you're alienating a majority of your userbase. I know dozens of people with Macs and very few of them have an iOS device.

I'm glad you guys have all sort of money to throw around making you able to offer iPads and misleading promotions for the sake of a lowly app. I personally hope you lose a ton of money in this venture. Hopefully then you'll remember what your site is actually for and who got you to this level of popularity.

Hint: It's not running a site for the main purpose of shoveling your TapTapTap CrapCrapCrap. That's what taptaptap.com is for.

May 24, 2011 6:04 pm

Flicker

Urchin

1 posts

Mod Edit: Stop reporting this post.

So I guess it's all but confirmed by the Directorate themselves that MacHeist is in its death throes. After two years of small goodies, the Directorate, in all of its infinite wisdom, decided that calling back its entire userbase to lead them on for a single and not all that impressive 99¢ app was a good idea.

I'd just like to point out here that everyone here came for MACheist, not iOSheist. There wasn't even a puzzle to solve to get to this point, and now we're expected to pay to play your stupid gimmick? Let's not forget that you're alienating a majority of your userbase. I know dozens of people with Macs and very few of them have an iOS device.

I'm glad you guys have all sort of money to throw around making you able to offer iPads and misleading promotions for the sake of a lowly app. I personally hope you lose a ton of money in this venture. Hopefully then you'll remember what your site is actually for and who got you to this level of popularity.

Hint: It's not running a site for the main purpose of shoveling your TapTapTap CrapCrapCrap. That's what taptaptap.com is for.

May 24, 2011 6:04 pm

Flicker

Urchin

1 posts

Mod Edit: Stop reporting this post.

So I guess it's all but confirmed by the Directorate themselves that MacHeist is in its death throes. After two years of small goodies, the Directorate, in all of its infinite wisdom, decided that calling back its entire userbase to lead them on for a single and not all that impressive 99¢ app was a good idea.

I'd just like to point out here that everyone here came for MACheist, not iOSheist. There wasn't even a puzzle to solve to get to this point, and now we're expected to pay to play your stupid gimmick? Let's not forget that you're alienating a majority of your userbase. I know dozens of people with Macs and very few of them have an iOS device.

I'm glad you guys have all sort of money to throw around making you able to offer iPads and misleading promotions for the sake of a lowly app. I personally hope you lose a ton of money in this venture. Hopefully then you'll remember what your site is actually for and who got you to this level of popularity.

Hint: It's not running a site for the main purpose of shoveling your TapTapTap CrapCrapCrap. That's what taptaptap.com is for.

May 24, 2011 6:04 pm
MacGizmo

MacGizmo

Automaton Tech

from In your closet
318 posts

Perhaps switching to decaf would aid in your recovery.

The Graphic Mac for all things Apple, Adobe, Design and the Internet.

May 24, 2011 6:13 pm
Seshan

Seshan

Automaton Tech

195 posts

I guess that people with Macs will have to wait for MacHeist 4 not THE HEIST like the front page has said for the last couple days.

You seem pretty bitchy for a site that has given you lots of Apps for FREE in the past.

Wooooo!

May 24, 2011 6:42 pm
mayorcj

mayorcj

Tinkerer

from Chicago, IL
26 posts

LOUD NOISES.

Be Good.

May 24, 2011 6:57 pm
mayorcj

mayorcj

Tinkerer

from Chicago, IL
26 posts

Sorry, that wasn't constructive. This will be:

It's another platform. I'm sure there are fans who use iPhone's but can't use Mac's for one reason or another... this gives them a chance to get involved and have some fun.

If you look at the box on the page, the prize is available on Mac and Windows.

Can a mod lock this thread so we can move on? Awesome.

Be Good.

May 24, 2011 7:04 pm
spyker3292

spyker3292

Sky Pirate

from WI
1,728 posts

To be fair, you unlock a Mac game for completing it...

Tweet! | Flickr
Go Green Monkeys Go!

May 24, 2011 7:09 pm

extrafuzzyllama

Urchin

2 posts

what game is it?

May 24, 2011 7:10 pm
jinglesthula

jinglesthula

Tinkerer

26 posts

lol

You seem concerned that they're addressing an additional market segment/user base.  And yet there's every evidence that they continue to work on putting together the great OSX bundles that we've come to love.  Has it been a while?  Compared to past frequency, yes.  Patience is a virtue.  Apple seems to have a culture oriented towards not rushing things, but doing it right and releasing when it's fully-baked.  If the directorate follows suit, I'm happy.

I'd much rather wait an extra few months for a solid bundle instead of having a lame one every year.

best

Eschew obfuscation

May 24, 2011 7:31 pm
allyorbase

allyorbase

Automaton Tech

from Honduras
178 posts

mayorcj wrote:

LOUD NOISES.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!

And we're back!

May 24, 2011 7:48 pm
Cuttonoverall

Cuttonoverall

Automaton Tech

from Canada
121 posts

Iirc people were DEMANDING iOS support for the riddles because everyone lied that they had one. Now almost everyone actually DOES have iOS devices and the few ones that don't are now complaining about MacHeist doing something people asked for?

Internet, I will never understand you.

"God is dead", Nietsche.
"Nietsche is dead", God.

May 24, 2011 8:06 pm
lecycliste

lecycliste

Automaton Tech

from Switzerland
122 posts

Personally, I am highly enjoying the puzzle app.  Very well done.

Works great on iPad as well

Cycling leads to Wisdom

May 24, 2011 8:46 pm

JeanJacque

Tinkerer

11 posts

I thought only Dutch people were known for whining about money and other stuff (and yes I'm Dutch). Of course this point doesn't make sense if the TS is in fact Dutch =P

In all _my_ infinite wisdom I can't understand why people take the time to write a quasi sarcastic/angry post, like the TS above, about how he or she dislikes a (really low priced) game which guarantees a free piece of software as a price in the end.

I'm looking forward to every mission/heist of MacHeist and really enjoyed (actually still do as I can't figure out a few puzzles wink ) the The Heist app.

May 24, 2011 9:04 pm
ciaravino

ciaravino

Automaton Tech

439 posts

jinglesthula wrote:

lol

You seem concerned that they're addressing an additional market segment/user base.  And yet there's every evidence that they continue to work on putting together the great OSX bundles that we've come to love.  Has it been a while?  Compared to past frequency, yes.  Patience is a virtue.  Apple seems to have a culture oriented towards not rushing things, but doing it right and releasing when it's fully-baked.  If the directorate follows suit, I'm happy.

I'd much rather wait an extra few months for a solid bundle instead of having a lame one every year.

best

I must have missed it sad

May 24, 2011 9:17 pm
dsw1958

dsw1958

Big Game Hunter

856 posts

"MacHeist is in its death throes"... Really?  Did you not read Phill's post?

"Is this MacHeist 4? Definitively, no. This is what we promise to be the very last piece of dessert before the main event"

May 25, 2011 5:17 am
rpcohen

rpcohen

Automaton Tech

from Baltimore, MD
486 posts

Cuttonoverall wrote:

Iirc people were DEMANDING iOS support for the riddles because everyone lied that they had one. Now almost everyone actually DOES have iOS devices and the few ones that don't are now complaining about MacHeist doing something people asked for?

Sounds good in theory but not true. Next...

May 25, 2011 5:22 am
chuckreynolds

chuckreynolds

Urchin

from Chandler, Az
6 posts

Droid.... eeeerr what?

get some

May 25, 2011 5:24 am

loopyduck

Tinkerer

10 posts

extrafuzzyllama wrote:

what game is it?

Eets, which was a little disappointing since I already own it. Wish we had a choice, or could enter the serial into Steam to give away as a gift! I suppose I could just hold onto the key until I run into someone who doesn't have Eets, but still... it'd be nice.

May 25, 2011 5:46 am
Miah

Miah

Moderator

3,692 posts

loopyduck wrote:
extrafuzzyllama wrote:

what game is it?

Eets, which was a little disappointing since I already own it. Wish we had a choice, or could enter the serial into Steam to give away as a gift! I suppose I could just hold onto the key until I run into someone who doesn't have Eets, but still... it'd be nice.

You could give it to me. http://macheist.com/static/common/emoji-20px/E04F.png

I don't own an iOS device. sad

䷟䷽䷏䷁ — Dying of the Light.

May 25, 2011 8:11 am

dmondark

Urchin

from Australia
8 posts

I don't recall playing any iOS game (puzzle or not, 99c or $24.99) that gives you a free game (or anything else, for that matter) upon finishing.
Perspective.

May 25, 2011 8:23 am

JPlay

Automaton Tech

126 posts

I own an iTouch and haven't got the Heist app yet. Admittedly, the end prize is only mildly appealing to me. But OP's assertion is something I care to comment on.

I don't see MH in death throes, though don't think that is entirely far off given course of past 2 years. Seems to me, MH just go so big that, like anything in this world, it presented itself with high standards that normal internet sites don't have to live up to. Like when Apple-iTunes announced "tomorrow everything will change" or whatever and Beatles was the 'big deal.' For many, myself included, that was a bit of a let down, and yet I absolutely love the Beatles. Just that the standard of hype that follows Apple and the likes of MH are unbelievably high.

In second paragraph of OP, where it says, "and now we're expected to pay to play your stupid gimmick? Let's not forget that you're alienating a majority of your userbase. I know dozens of people with Macs and very few of them have an iOS device."

> I find this to be immature / hyperbole to call the Heist app an expectation. I desire to get it, but don't feel like there is any hurry. And if for some reason there is time limit on it, I just assume pass. I'm also someone who has been around since MH3, maybe 2, can't remember and honestly the whole heist thing seems gimmicky to me. Mostly in vein of not my cup of tea, but I find it very fascinating (and cool) that for lots of Mac people it is exactly their cup of tea. I'm here mainly for bundles. MH tends to kick booty in that arena, and the other stuff to me, is icing on the cake. Quite interesting, but I'm not in any hurry to participate. Weird that fellow Mac people feel like MH creators owe them something for showing up on this site. With all that said, I do think iOS Heist does alienate some of the fanbase, but in perspective of both things to come (i.e. MH4) and fact that mobile devices are a plenty nowadays, I think directorate are showing up pretty well in tune with ways to keep Heist interesting and growing.

My 4 cents.

May 26, 2011 6:23 am
rishim

rishim

Automaton Tech

from Gloucester
448 posts

MacHeist 4 is coming, soon. Grow a pair and be a little patient.

May 26, 2011 10:37 am
Tyrannosaurs

Tyrannosaurs

Gearhead

from Glasgow, Scotland
94 posts

I like it when the angry people come out. They're funny.

May 26, 2011 12:55 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

Moderator

3,580 posts

If you people keep saying iTouch, I'm going to lose it. Seriously. It's an iPod Touch.

OK, not really seriously.

But on a more serious note, in a word: "No." This is NOT the "pretty much confirmed" end of MacHeist. In fact, there's been more than a few confirmations and teasers that MacHeist 4 is coming next. And that's not based on information that I have and you don't! Mods don't know the details of upcoming promotions until SOMETIMES right before it happens. Quite often, we find out when you do.

This is a side-project. A snack. It even ties back into the Mac, so you can't even claim it's totally iOS focused (and where "AdHeist" comes from, I really don't understand).

PM me | Twitter

May 26, 2011 1:09 pm
markbett

markbett

Moderator

from Tokyo
662 posts

JPDyson wrote:

If you people keep saying iTouch, I'm going to lose it. Seriously. It's an iPod Touch.

OK, not really seriously.

But on a more serious note, in a word: "No." This is NOT the "pretty much confirmed" end of MacHeist. In fact, there's been more than a few confirmations and teasers that MacHeist 4 is coming next. And that's not based on information that I have and you don't! Mods don't know the details of upcoming promotions until SOMETIMES right before it happens. Quite often, we find out when you do.

This is a side-project. A snack. It even ties back into the Mac, so you can't even claim it's totally iOS focused (and where "AdHeist" comes from, I really don't understand).

seriously?  these are people who are just complaining to complain.  if they stopped for a moment and thought about it, they would realize that it would be pointless to give people a 10$ credit towards a bundle when there is no bundle…. UNLESS there is  bundle coming in the near future….

seriously thats logic a 5 year old can work with...

01100111 01110010 01100101 01100101 01101110
01101101 01101111 01101110 01101011 01100101 01111001
01110011

May 26, 2011 1:17 pm
Miah

Miah

Moderator

3,692 posts

markbett wrote:

if they stopped for a moment and thought about it, they would realize that it would be pointless to give people a 10$ credit towards a bundle when there is no bundle

This was, of course, posted before any such credit was known to anybody.

䷟䷽䷏䷁ — Dying of the Light.

May 26, 2011 1:21 pm

ougism

Urchin

6 posts

OP, are you pissed off the rapture didn't happen or something? You're way too highyly strung about such a trivial issue...

Without a doubt the most innovative iPhone puzzle game i've played, really don't see where your anger is coming from.

May 26, 2011 1:40 pm
Tyrannosaurs

Tyrannosaurs

Gearhead

from Glasgow, Scotland
94 posts

Miah wrote:
markbett wrote:

if they stopped for a moment and thought about it, they would realize that it would be pointless to give people a 10$ credit towards a bundle when there is no bundle

This was, of course, posted before any such credit was known to anybody.

It wasn't posted before Phil said in the launch post for the app:

"Is this MacHeist 4? Definitively, no. This is what we promise to be the very last piece of dessert before the main event. But we are incredibly excited to finally bring MacHeist to iOS and the App Store, and we hope you guys find this just as cool as we do."

So in launching it he states that this isn't MacHeist 4 and all but says MacHeist 4 will be next.

Seriously, the only way people can be pissed about this is if they didn't read the posts or didn't care about the facts.

May 26, 2011 1:44 pm
Molnies

Molnies

Big Game Hunter

from Sweden
527 posts

Tyrannosaurs wrote:

Seriously, the only way people can be pissed about this is if they didn't read the posts or didn't care about the facts.

Which is, sadly, true for quite a few people on the Internets.

Think Purple.

May 26, 2011 1:47 pm
Miah

Miah

Moderator

3,692 posts

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the OP probably doesn't care about the details because the OP felt excluded for the full affair.

Flicker wrote:

I'd just like to point out here that everyone here came for MACheist, not iOSheist.

I'm guessing this is the crux of the issue even if it wasn't so clearly stated. Compound that with called it AdHeist in the same breathe when MacHeist has been previously used to promote other

Flicker wrote:

TapTapTap CrapCrapCrap

, and this really looks like exclusion is the real concern, not that MH4 isn't coming.

Of course, I could be biased into reading this that way because I too was excluded but it does seem particularly angry about the iOS issue.

䷟䷽䷏䷁ — Dying of the Light.

May 26, 2011 2:22 pm
Tyrannosaurs

Tyrannosaurs

Gearhead

from Glasgow, Scotland
94 posts

Miah wrote:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the OP probably doesn't care about the details because the OP felt excluded for the full affair.

Flicker wrote:

I'd just like to point out here that everyone here came for MACheist, not iOSheist.

(a) If the OP wishes to be taken seriously, the OP needs to explain what is annoying them and do so without extravagant, claims running counter to what was being said. Until they learn to do so the OP will be treated as what they are - a dick and get no sympathy.

(b) Things change and evolve. MH isn't a spam factory, they're generally very good at keeping the cross marketing between TTT and MH to a minimum. In this case there's a correlation between MH and Puzzles and a correlation between Mac users and iOS users. It's not unreasonable to assume that a decent number of MHers would be interested in this (correct as it turned out). If the OP is not one of them then they should move along, unfollow or unsubscribe if they're really upset but please can they drop the angry crap, it's very very boring and will get them nowhere they want to be.

May 26, 2011 3:03 pm
Tyrannosaurs wrote:

Until they learn to do so the OP will be treated as what they are - a dick and get no sympathy.

Wow, neither I nor anyone else but the OP knows what he/she intended to say, but I do feel offended in effigy when anyone addresses anyone like this.

Besides, if that's what 'they are' then why should 'they' do or be anyway else? Taken seriously or not, 'they' are d*cks (in your eyes, mind you!) anyhow.

Allow me to quote your own words:

I like it when the angry people come out. They're funny.

Who, now, am I to take seriously?

May 26, 2011 5:35 pm

digitalinkmedia

Urchin

from Mexico
1 posts

Aside from the OP being OT (Obvious Troll), The Heist was a great little challenging distraction for a few hours, which is quite a bit more than you can normally buy for 59 pence. The freebie on Steam is a just a nice big dollop of custard on the hot chocolate fudge pudding of the game.

May 26, 2011 7:25 pm
Tyrannosaurs

Tyrannosaurs

Gearhead

from Glasgow, Scotland
94 posts

jmsuijkerbuijk wrote:

Allow me to quote your own words:

I like it when the angry people come out. They're funny.

Who, now, am I to take seriously?

Why does the fact I find it amusing change the truth (or otherwise) of what I say?

I'm honestly not trolling, I really do think that people getting angry about nothing on the internet are amusing.

And I'm sorry you get offended but I get offended by the sense of entitlement and lack of perspective in the OP and, in the same way you've seen fit to call me on it, I've called him on it.

May 27, 2011 8:20 am
Miah

Miah

Moderator

3,692 posts

Tyrannosaurs wrote:

Why does the fact I find it amusing change the truth (or otherwise) of what I say?

He's not saying that. You might notice he also quoted this:

Tyrannosaurs wrote:

Until they learn to do so the OP will be treated as what they are - a dick and get no sympathy.

Which, as I might note, sounds mad.

Also, if we're going to be on the topic here:

Tyrannosaurs wrote:

they're generally very good at keeping the cross marketing between TTT and MH to a minimum

I could argue against this claim with a quite a bit of ease. Take, for example, their product lineup. I see eight things for sale (and one freebie). One of those (classics) has been an ad on here for a while and at least four of them (I don't remember if Classics was also one) had direct promotions. Convert had a tweetblast on this site with a customized MBP as a prize. Voices had a program giveaway for tweeting about it, again sponsored by the MacHeist branding. Camera+ had something I can't quite recall and now there's The Heist. That's over half of the products they're selling (if you count Classics). That's not a minimum.

Now, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, per se. There's been a lot of giveaways on MacHeist and that's great and the creators should be allowed some kickbacks. But to disregard a gripe about the same thing and calling it a "minimum" is just factually wrong.

䷟䷽䷏䷁ — Dying of the Light.

May 27, 2011 9:29 am
Tyrannosaurs

Tyrannosaurs

Gearhead

from Glasgow, Scotland
94 posts

Miah wrote:
Tyrannosaurs wrote:

Why does the fact I find it amusing change the truth (or otherwise) of what I say?

He's not saying that.

No, he says "who should I take seriously?"

My response is that the fact I find I make an aside that I find the tone of the original post amusing (which I do - angry people losing all perspective on the internet are funny) seems to me to be an odd thing to give much weight to if the basic argument (that the OP was being disproportionate) is sound.

Miah wrote:

You might notice he also quoted this:

Tyrannosaurs wrote:

Until they learn to do so the OP will be treated as what they are - a dick and get no sympathy.

Which, as I might note, sounds mad.

Sorry, not sure I understand you. My point was if you act like a dick then (rightly or wrongly) you're unlikely to get sympathy. I see that as neither mad nor particularly controversial.

Miah wrote:

Also, if we're going to be on the topic here:

Tyrannosaurs wrote:

they're generally very good at keeping the cross marketing between TTT and MH to a minimum

I could argue against this claim with a quite a bit of ease. Take, for example, their product lineup. I see eight things for sale (and one freebie). One of those (classics) has been an ad on here for a while and at least four of them (I don't remember if Classics was also one) had direct promotions. Convert had a tweetblast on this site with a customized MBP as a prize. Voices had a program giveaway for tweeting about it, again sponsored by the MacHeist branding. Camera+ had something I can't quite recall and now there's The Heist. That's over half of the products they're selling (if you count Classics). That's not a minimum.

Now, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, per se. There's been a lot of giveaways on MacHeist and that's great and the creators should be allowed some kickbacks. But to disregard a gripe about the same thing and calling it a "minimum" is just factually wrong.

Fair enough. I don't hang around here as much as some people so may not be exposed to as much (though I follow on Twitter and am on the mailing list so I think I'd see most stuff). I'm also possibly not being clear in what I meant.

By minimum I don't mean an actual minimum (which would be zero obviously) but I mean that it's very much on the level that's ignorable and not intrusive if you're not interested. Yes there will be stuff that's not relevant to you but I can't think of a single mail list or twitter account where that's not true.

What's a reasonable level is certainly subjective but I'd certainly stick to the view that the OPs original point (as well as containing out and out untruths) was disproportionate, immature and lacking in perspective given the situation. You may disagree but I'm happy with "dick" as short hand for that.

And on that I will bow out because it's really not that important...

May 27, 2011 11:49 am
Wasgo

Wasgo

Sky Pirate

from Vancouver, Canada
1,278 posts

Tyrannosaurs wrote:

By minimum I don't mean an actual minimum (which would be zero obviously) but I mean that it's very much on the level that's ignorable and not intrusive if you're not interested. Yes there will be stuff that's not relevant to you but I can't think of a single mail list or twitter account where that's not true.

Many people feel that if they signed up for MacHeist emails, they only want emails relating to MacHeist. For them, any cross promotion emails is too many.

wrote:

What's a reasonable level is certainly subjective but I'd certainly stick to the view that the OPs original point (as well as containing out and out untruths) was disproportionate, immature and lacking in perspective given the situation.

Let's go back to the original post then.

Flicker wrote:

So I guess it's all but confirmed by the Directorate themselves that MacHeist is in its death throes.

Not true.

After two years of small goodies, the Directorate, in all of its infinite wisdom, decided that calling back its entire userbase to lead them on for a single and not all that impressive 99¢ app was a good idea.

True

I'd just like to point out here that everyone here came for MACheist, not iOSheist. There wasn't even a puzzle to solve to get to this point,

True

and now we're expected to pay to play your stupid gimmick?

Not true, optional.

Let's not forget that you're alienating a majority of your userbase.

Speculation.

I know dozens of people with Macs and very few of them have an iOS device.

True, but irrelevant. I know lots of people with cars, and none of them are red. It doesn't mean they don't sell red cars.

I'm glad you guys have all sort of money to throw around making you able to offer iPads and misleading promotions for the sake of a lowly app.

I'm going to mark this as true. The promotion was misleading in the sense that most people came back here thinking this was MacHeist 4. The subsequent promotion was very clear though.

I personally hope you lose a ton of money in this venture.

Mean spirited opinion.

Hopefully then you'll remember what your site is actually for and who got you to this level of popularity.

Not sure how to mark this. The site is for whatever the site's creators say it is for, and I'd argue they earned their popularity. On the other hand, the site is called MacHeist, and the current user base formed around selling Mac products.

Hint: It's not running a site for the main purpose of shoveling your TapTapTap CrapCrapCrap. That's what taptaptap.com is for.

Mean spirited opinion.

So, in terms of disproportionate, immature and lacking in perspective, I would agree that it's immature. I'm not convinced that it's disproportionate, as MacHeist willingly mislead people with their early promotion of The Heist where it appeared to most users to be a new MacHeist. As for lacking in perspective, that doesn't mean anything in this context. The OP lacks the Directorate's perspective, but has their own. I don't think they need other people's perspective to have feelings.

Silver Snakes Assemble!

Join Dropbox today and get an extra 250MB. Click here for details!

May 27, 2011 3:54 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

Moderator

3,580 posts

Wasgo wrote:

I'm not convinced that it's disproportionate, as MacHeist willingly mislead people with their early promotion of The Heist where it appeared to most users to be a new MacHeist.

I'd like you to build on that point. After all, the very unlocking of the front page required an iOS device, and made no promises that I can see that it was MacHeist 4 (and even went so far as removing the word Mac).

PM me | Twitter

May 27, 2011 4:21 pm
Wasgo

Wasgo

Sky Pirate

from Vancouver, Canada
1,278 posts

JPDyson wrote:

I'd like you to build on that point. After all, the very unlocking of the front page required an iOS device, and made no promises that I can see that it was MacHeist 4 (and even went so far as removing the word Mac).

They brought people back for the Heist which included a front page puzzle. Most people came back thinking it was MacHeist. They didn't tell people what it was until a week later. Here are a selection of quotes:

May 18, 2011:

tanookisuit_ty wrote:

Can't wait to get heisting!

May 19, 2011:

dupsidups wrote:

Im so excited. It's heist time again!

May 21, 2011:

MacHeritage wrote:

Cool! I just happened to click the wrong link and WOW, I like that new front page. It is about time for MacHeist 4 or whatever they might call it. big_smile

donbenjy@gmail.com wrote:

So what apps would you guys like to see in this year's heist?

I think that it's quite reasonable to expect that most people associate MacHeist, or even the word Heist with a bundle of apps. The Directorate knew that, but did not inform any of their users for approximately one week that The Heist was an iOS app. Meanwhile, they allowed users to continue to believe something that was knowingly false as it built up the hype.

Had MacHeist said from the beginning that The Heist was going to be an iOS app, it would not have had nearly as much hype. As a marketing strategy, I agree that it helped build interest in the app, but by its nature that strategy was going to upset some people. Had someone been excited about a new MacHeist, only to discover it's an iOS app that they couldn't even use, I'd expect them to be quite upset. Strong disappointment is very reasonable reaction.

Silver Snakes Assemble!

Join Dropbox today and get an extra 250MB. Click here for details!

May 27, 2011 5:34 pm
Adrammelech

Adrammelech

Big Game Hunter

from Gallifrey
626 posts

So much whining is making me feel I'm back in kindergarden...

Referrals:
Free*My*Apps: Discover great iOS apps. Get rewarded!
FreeAppSlots: Play Slots & WIN!
Bing Rewards: Search Bing, earn credits towards rewards!

May 27, 2011 5:53 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

Moderator

3,580 posts

There's something to the notion that the "rumors of our demise" tweet and a link to a cryptic home pages smells like a new MacHeist. I'll give you that. However, noting the specific branding "The Heist" and the iOS specific puzzle should be an indication that it's something different.

Even if it's not, the guys running the show get to, well, run the show. They get to branch off into iOS if they want. And besides that, they've said that this isn't MH4, but that it's an appetizer for it. So, the folks expecting MH4 get confirmation that it's next up, and that the Directorate haven't just been sleeping for all this time. Folks also get a pretty neat iOS app with puzzles to solve for a prize, and an explicit tie-in to MH4.

I can understand being disappointed that this wasn't MH4, but I don't see any funny business. I got my hopes up that it would be more than it was, honestly - but I've enjoyed The Heist and I'm glad for the indication that MH4 is on the way.

PM me | Twitter

May 27, 2011 6:10 pm
Wasgo

Wasgo

Sky Pirate

from Vancouver, Canada
1,278 posts

Adrammelech wrote:

So much whining is making me feel I'm back in kindergarden...

So you whined a lot back in Kindergarten? Whereas now you just bitch about whining?

Silver Snakes Assemble!

Join Dropbox today and get an extra 250MB. Click here for details!

May 27, 2011 6:10 pm
Wasgo

Wasgo

Sky Pirate

from Vancouver, Canada
1,278 posts

JPDyson wrote:

There's something to the notion that the "rumors of our demise" tweet and a link to a cryptic home pages smells like a new MacHeist. I'll give you that. However, noting the specific branding "The Heist" and the iOS specific puzzle should be an indication that it's something different.

Every MacHeist has been different. It would not be at all surprising if the full MacHeist still had an iOS element this year.

Even if it's not, the guys running the show get to, well, run the show. They get to branch off into iOS if they want. And besides that, they've said that this isn't MH4, but that it's an appetizer for it.

I agree. But I was referring to the week in which they said nothing. That week allowed people to build up expectations and become disappointed.

So, the folks expecting MH4 get confirmation that it's next up, and that the Directorate haven't just been sleeping for all this time. Folks also get a pretty neat iOS app with puzzles to solve for a prize, and an explicit tie-in to MH4.

They only get that if they have an iOS device, and Phill and John have made a number of comments about MacHeist 4 coming in the past. I believe during NanoBundle 2 they said it was the last thing before a new MacHeist. Either way, confirmation of coming eventually isn't much if people are actually expecting that a new one is starting.

I can understand being disappointed that this wasn't MH4, but I don't see any funny business. I got my hopes up that it would be more than it was, honestly - but I've enjoyed The Heist and I'm glad for the indication that MH4 is on the way.

To me, they set up it purposely to capitalize on the MacHeist brand. That's good marketing. They also allowed it to build on that brand's hype. Also good marketing. Unfortunately, for many people, it didn't live up to the expectations that the MacHeist brand creates, and now they're disappointed, especially if they can't even play the game.

Silver Snakes Assemble!

Join Dropbox today and get an extra 250MB. Click here for details!

May 27, 2011 6:19 pm
andys53

andys53

Sky Pirate

from a frog flu resistant land.
1,904 posts

I thought we didn't feed trolls?

smile From a spam free, orange team, land smile

May 27, 2011 6:45 pm
Wasgo

Wasgo

Sky Pirate

from Vancouver, Canada
1,278 posts

andys53 wrote:

I thought we didn't feed trolls?

If you're calling me a troll, then even the mods feed me. I don't really consider my posts trolling though.

Silver Snakes Assemble!

Join Dropbox today and get an extra 250MB. Click here for details!

May 27, 2011 6:48 pm
SonicS

SonicS

Urchin

8 posts

Flicker wrote:

So I guess it's all but confirmed by the Directorate themselves that MacHeist is in its death throes. After two years of small goodies, the Directorate, in all of its infinite wisdom, decided that calling back its entire userbase to lead them on for a single and not all that impressive 99¢ app was a good idea.

I'd just like to point out here that everyone here came for MACheist, not iOSheist. There wasn't even a puzzle to solve to get to this point, and now we're expected to pay to play your stupid gimmick? Let's not forget that you're alienating a majority of your userbase. I know dozens of people with Macs and very few of them have an iOS device.

I'm glad you guys have all sort of money to throw around making you able to offer iPads and misleading promotions for the sake of a lowly app. I personally hope you lose a ton of money in this venture. Hopefully then you'll remember what your site is actually for and who got you to this level of popularity.

Hint: It's not running a site for the main purpose of shoveling your TapTapTap CrapCrapCrap. That's what taptaptap.com is for.

What the heck?  Don't complain/hate because you don't have an iOS device... Suck it up bro, but if you read the official notice, this is NOT MH4.  So if this puzzle game bothers you, congrats, cuz I don't know what the heck you're talking about.  It was a game well worth the buck, and it was nice havin the mac + pc game and discount towards their next bundle at the end.  So who told you that they're not doin another bundle?  Got some serious intel behind covers or something, because I have no idea why you would think that "this is the very last piece of dessert before the main event" means that there isn't a main event...

When in doubt, think of cheesecake.
When in need, eat cheesecake.

May 27, 2011 7:04 pm
andys53

andys53

Sky Pirate

from a frog flu resistant land.
1,904 posts

Wasgo wrote:
andys53 wrote:

I thought we didn't feed trolls?

If you're calling me a troll, then even the mods feed me. I don't really consider my posts trolling though.

No Wasgo, not you, the OP. He posts once, and it's his 1st post,  a piece he must know will create a stir. He leaves no name, no contact details, nothing. Just a piece of vitriol, then sits back and watches the reaction.

smile From a spam free, orange team, land smile

May 27, 2011 7:59 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

Moderator

3,580 posts

Your definition of a troll is different from mine.

PM me | Twitter

May 27, 2011 8:36 pm
andys53

andys53

Sky Pirate

from a frog flu resistant land.
1,904 posts

Well, whatever you think he is this whole argument hasn't seen him since he threw his comment in.

smile From a spam free, orange team, land smile

May 27, 2011 9:24 pm
mikeyfindlay

mikeyfindlay

Sky Pirate

from Northern California
1,091 posts

andys53 wrote:

Well, whatever you think he is this whole argument hasn't seen him since he threw his comment in.

Which is exactly why this whole thread is waste of space and accomplishing nothing except perpetuating a pointless argument between MacHeist users.

The OP is probably the owner of another Mac bundle site trying to shed a bad light on the MacHeist name.

MFVISUALS.COM | LAST HONEST TECH BLOG
Gear: 15" MacBook Pro 2012, iPad Air, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 4G, iPod Nano 6G

May 28, 2011 2:44 am
Wasgo

Wasgo

Sky Pirate

from Vancouver, Canada
1,278 posts

mikeyfindlay wrote:

The OP is probably the owner of another Mac bundle site trying to shed a bad light on the MacHeist name.

Or the OP is an angry user who posted a rant and then left. Probably a more likely option.

Silver Snakes Assemble!

Join Dropbox today and get an extra 250MB. Click here for details!

May 28, 2011 3:49 am
MacHeist Forums » The Heist » Pretty much confirmed: MacHeist is basically dead. Long live AdHeist!

Become an agent



Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)


As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

 

Login to MacHeist



As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?