Forums

iPhone 4[S]

MacHeist Forums » The Lounge » iPhone 4[S]
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

May as well start a thread, before I come in and find 3 different ones.

PM me | Twitter

October 4, 2011 6:12 pm
dsw1958

dsw1958

Big Game Hunter

856 posts

Disappointed but not shocked.  Moving it to on-campus should have been a big clue.

October 4, 2011 8:18 pm
JMarkevich

JMarkevich

Sky Pirate

from Halifax, Canada
1,184 posts

Not sure why people are disappointed in 7x faster with awesome new software, faster data, better reception... and a killer next-gen "Star Trek" feature.  Is it because it wasn't called "5"?

I'm very happy that all of the rumor mills that stated definitively that this was the iPhone 5 event were flat out wrong.  But I'm just bitter that way smile

Seriously, what's to be disappointed about?  The iPod Touch on the other hand... come on, give us a real camera.

"You have the whitest white-part-of-the-eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?"
Get Dropbox. You need it!

October 4, 2011 8:55 pm
j3snyder

j3snyder

Big Game Hunter

from Yerington, NV
976 posts

Really disappointed in the ipod touch update.  Hoping to score a used last (aka current) gen on craigslist now, been waiting since August to buy my new bday present.

Referrals for your consideration:
Dropbox:  https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE1N … src=global

October 4, 2011 9:46 pm
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

I read some tweets begging for Steve to come back...

Not even Jobs could make this event exciting. They did the right thing by hosting it on campus.

Website | Twitter

October 4, 2011 11:34 pm

Jeff_R

Automaton Tech

187 posts

Can't see what's wrong with the 4S. 64GB capacity, faster, better camera, Siri... I agree with JMarkevich; I think people got upset because there wasn't a "5" mentioned. Otherwise, what did they want? A higher res screen? A different form factor? Seriously, what are people disappointed about as far as iPhones go?

October 4, 2011 11:45 pm
blue_fireball_eater

blue_fireball_eater

from Nashville
2,757 posts

Phone is fine, keynote was fine other than the colored brush metal and lack of new buzzwords. What sucked is seeing the exact same iOS updates that we already saw in the last keynote.

avatar is from Penfield & Jasper, 1954

October 5, 2011 12:52 am
Lioness

Lioness

Sky Pirate

from Universe (Sweden)
1,474 posts

I just think everybody just missed Steve Jobs and go frustrated over the numbers instead.
Of course we had heard most of it before, so not much news in 90 minutes. That was the boring thing about the keynote.
But I have absolutely no need at all to change phone. My iPhone 4 is more then I need, a well I could get use of a better camera but nothing I'm drooling over, yet tongue
I'm just excited over the new iOS5, it will be thrilling... smile

twitter | website
dropbox referral +250MB | minus invite +1GB

October 5, 2011 1:25 am
Timi

Timi

from New York
1,393 posts

You can already use voice commands. Siri is just a lame way to convince people they have to upgrade to use voice to text.  I'm glad it's not exciting, now I don't have to upgrade. big_smile

October 5, 2011 2:25 am
JMarkevich

JMarkevich

Sky Pirate

from Halifax, Canada
1,184 posts

As far as the event... way too much repetition of old WWDC news.  They should have tried to keep the excitement high.

October 5, 2011 3:18 am
bdegrande

bdegrande

Sky Pirate

from Hoboken, NJ
1,241 posts

j3snyder wrote:

Really disappointed in the ipod touch update.  Hoping to score a used last (aka current) gen on craigslist now, been waiting since August to buy my new bday present.

I did exactly that. My Touch died a month ago, and I waited for the new model. After that non-upgrade, i picked up a used 64GB 4th gen for $240 on eBay, I just didn't see enough to justify a new one.

If you are a Dexter fan, check out The Dexter Cast podcast - iTunes  or www.thedextercast.com
Dropbox referral - We each get an extra 500MB

October 5, 2011 3:37 am
dsw1958

dsw1958

Big Game Hunter

856 posts

The keynote was a lot of rehash.  The guts of the 4S is fine but I would like to have seen a new/better design with a larger screen and LTE would have been nice but not required.

So iPhones are released in half steps due to carriers contracts of 2 years - I get that.  I just don't see a real need to upgrade until the next full step.

October 5, 2011 3:57 am
neil95

neil95

Automaton Tech

496 posts

Is the "S" in 4S for "Siri?" XD
Because really, that's the only incredibly cool new thing in the new iPhone. Plus, it's 4S-exclusive >:(

October 5, 2011 4:29 am
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

Timi wrote:

You can already use voice commands. Siri is just a lame way to convince people they have to upgrade to use voice to text.  I'm glad it's not exciting, now I don't have to upgrade. big_smile

"Call Timi."

"Calling Jimmy."

"No."

Website | Twitter

October 5, 2011 4:53 am
LaurentR

LaurentR

Sky Pirate

from Paris / France
1,631 posts

Warbrain wrote:
Timi wrote:

"Call Timi."

"Calling Jimmy."

"No."

What do you mean ? That it is not working ? I thought it was not still in IOS 5 and that it would only be for Iphone 4S devices.

Twitter
Get your Dropbox smile

October 5, 2011 7:02 am
johnred

johnred

Directorate

1,869 posts

Warbrain wrote:
Timi wrote:

"Call Timi."

"Calling Jimmy."

"No."

You totally beat me to this.

One time, something on my desk fell and caused the home button be pressed, activating the voice thingy... and the background chatter in the room caused it to "purse-dial" a MacHeist competitor I had in my address book. THIS IS NOT AN EXAGGERATION.

In any case, the disappointment for me is that it's the same case design which I think is VERY un-Apple-like and that there's no hardware innovation at all in the new phone. Speedbumperrific!

(And yes, I get that the camera is a bit better... and that we make Camera+, so it'll help us... and stop hating on Apple... and we're just a bunch of complainers... and blah blah blah.)

Edit: ass-dial is teh new purse-dial

John Casasanta
MacHeist Director
tap tap tap chief

October 5, 2011 9:08 am
LaurentR

LaurentR

Sky Pirate

from Paris / France
1,631 posts

Do you know that Samsung try to stop Apple to release Iphone 4S in France and Italia because a claim on a 3G patent which they say is very important ? They have put the case in front of a judge today. I think they won't win since if it was so important, why they didn't react when the first Iphone equipped with 3G was released ? What do you think ?

Twitter
Get your Dropbox smile

October 5, 2011 10:07 am
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

LaurentR wrote:

Do you know that Samsung try to stop Apple to release Iphone 4S in France and Italia because a claim on a 3G patent which they say is very important ? They have put the case in front of a judge today. I think they won't win since if it was so important, why they didn't react when the first Iphone equipped with 3G was released ? What do you think ?

I don't think it'll succeed.

LaurentR wrote:
Warbrain wrote:
Timi wrote:

"Call Timi."

"Calling Jimmy."

"No."

What do you mean ? That it is not working ? I thought it was not still in IOS 5 and that it would only be for Iphone 4S devices.

There are already voice commands on the iPhone and iPod touch. They aren't that great.

Website | Twitter

October 5, 2011 10:41 am
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

Built-in voice commands at present aren't Nuance/Siri powered. I'm not sure what the difference will be in terms of the accuracy of recognition, but I for one have used some of the search functionality built into Dragon Go! and it understands me fine. I use voice dial, and can remember exactly one misdial in my ownership of the phone (from the car, no headset). All of that to say, I think it's a big misunderstanding to lump this in with current voice controls - maybe you didn't see the same presentation that I did. It was far more powerful.

That said, this is pretty much the 3GS all over again. Last year's design, new camera, speed bump, other guts upgrades, software features that won't be available to earlier models. Apple knows it can milk this design for another year with a modest spec bump behind Siri, so this was a smart business move. It's not the most compelling reason to upgrade, but the 3GS wasn't either, and I was really glad I did upgrade, especially whenever I picked up a 3G afterward.

I bet Apple will still be selling every one of these they can make for several weeks to come.

PM me | Twitter

October 5, 2011 11:18 am
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

Oh, and in passing, yes the presentation was largely re-hash of iOS 5, which is a bit of a disappointment to anybody who follows Apple (because we have about the same amount of access to what went on at WWDC as we did this presentation).

PM me | Twitter

October 5, 2011 11:58 am
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

JPDyson wrote:

Built-in voice commands at present aren't Nuance/Siri powered. I'm not sure what the difference will be in terms of the accuracy of recognition, but I for one have used some of the search functionality built into Dragon Go! and it understands me fine. I use voice dial, and can remember exactly one misdial in my ownership of the phone (from the car, no headset). All of that to say, I think it's a big misunderstanding to lump this in with current voice controls - maybe you didn't see the same presentation that I did. It was far more powerful.

That said, this is pretty much the 3GS all over again. Last year's design, new camera, speed bump, other guts upgrades, software features that won't be available to earlier models. Apple knows it can milk this design for another year with a modest spec bump behind Siri, so this was a smart business move. It's not the most compelling reason to upgrade, but the 3GS wasn't either, and I was really glad I did upgrade, especially whenever I picked up a 3G afterward.

I bet Apple will still be selling every one of these they can make for several weeks to come.

Word is that they may not have licensed Nuance for this usage. Time will tell, though.

Website | Twitter

October 5, 2011 1:46 pm
JMarkevich

JMarkevich

Sky Pirate

from Halifax, Canada
1,184 posts

Looks like it also has Bluetooth 4.0, that's a nice little tweak.

October 5, 2011 2:02 pm
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

So what does everyone think of the iPod touch? Is there even a chance that any of them have upgraded internals or are they all previous generation with a new color option?

Website | Twitter

October 5, 2011 2:04 pm
TimJohnst

TimJohnst

Automaton Tech

from NY
122 posts

Well....  I was happy with the announcement.  The 4S will be my first iPhone.  I'm a Verizon user and didn't want to get the iPhone 4 when it finally came to Verizon.  I knew that an upgraded model would be coming soon and I'm happy with the changes.  Big pluses for me:

Dual core CPU
Better camera and video
Siri
World phone (I do some international travel)

If you already have an iPhone then these changes aren't a big deal.  But for people like me this is a win.

Proud to be purple

October 5, 2011 3:57 pm
TimJohnst

TimJohnst

Automaton Tech

from NY
122 posts

Warbrain wrote:

So what does everyone think of the iPod touch? Is there even a chance that any of them have upgraded internals or are they all previous generation with a new color option?

A quick look at the specs on the Apple website seem to indicate the same device.  I think Apple is hoping that iOS5 will drive sales for the iPod Touch.

Proud to be purple

October 5, 2011 4:01 pm
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

TimJohnst wrote:
Warbrain wrote:

A quick look at the specs on the Apple website seem to indicate the same device.  I think Apple is hoping that iOS5 will drive sales for the iPod Touch.

The last time they did this they never mentioned specs in terms of what processor because the low-end was the previous generation. I think some people are holding out hope on that. I might just forget even getting the "new" iPod touch and get one this week.

Website | Twitter

October 5, 2011 4:03 pm
TimJohnst

TimJohnst

Automaton Tech

from NY
122 posts

Um....  This is interesting.  Apple has also announced Applecare+ for iPhone.  This now includes coverage for up to two accidents with a $49 fee per incident.  Cost is $99.

Squaretrade must have been taking a noticeable chunk of their business in this area.

Proud to be purple

October 5, 2011 4:13 pm
Wasgo

Wasgo

Sky Pirate

from Vancouver, Canada
1,278 posts

johnred wrote:

In any case, the disappointment for me is that it's the same case design which I think is VERY un-Apple-like and that there's no hardware innovation at all in the new phone. Speedbumperrific!

If the intelligent send/receive works, that's a pretty great new hardware feature. Doubling the speed of data transmissions would be a huge bonus for most people.

Silver Snakes Assemble!

Join Dropbox today and get an extra 250MB. Click here for details!

October 5, 2011 5:28 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

new color and new price (iPod Touch)

PM me | Twitter

October 5, 2011 8:19 pm
geauxvols

geauxvols

Big Game Hunter

from East Texas, U.S.A.
589 posts

Meh. I still use a 3GS because nothing has been compelling enough on the hardware side for me to upgrade. I'm hoping for a device that loses the bezel and extends the screen further outward. I figure the 5 will do that. Still, I think this device is a reasonable upgrade for those who want a faster device with a better camera. That user just doesn't describe me.

iPhone Reviews, Apps, Tips and Tricks | Follow theiphoneand.us on Twitter

October 5, 2011 8:22 pm
Lawdom

Lawdom

Automaton Tech

from Iowa
142 posts

The big news is the 3GS, now free on contract. You can't beat free (on contract).

October 5, 2011 9:25 pm
futureblues

futureblues

Automaton Tech

from FL
107 posts

I might be the only one... but i'm glad 4s is not bigger than the 4.  I wouldn't want to wrestle something as large as some of those android phones out of my pocket.

See You Space Cowboy

October 5, 2011 10:51 pm
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

futureblues wrote:

I might be the only one... but i'm glad 4s is not bigger than the 4.  I wouldn't want to wrestle something as large as some of those android phones out of my pocket.

Having spent some time with the larger devices - nice in the hand, couldn't imagine shoving one in my pants.

Website | Twitter

October 5, 2011 11:12 pm
mil

mil

Sky Pirate

1,273 posts

JMarkevich wrote:

Not sure why people are disappointed in 7x faster with awesome new software, faster data, better reception... and a killer next-gen "Star Trek" feature.  Is it because it wasn't called "5"?

Exactly. smile

JMarkevich wrote:

Seriously, what's to be disappointed about?

Maybe the display size was something people were expecting to be bigger. But with Apple's way of designing things, I don't see a much bigger display coming in soon. The new 64GB capacity is a nice addition, and so are the faster processor and graphics, and better camera system. With the current state of data plans in 2011, I can't imagine more than a few hundred people around the world who'd want LTE or 4G or whatever the post 3G thing is.

A phone whose screen doesn't have a bezel? A TV without bezel may be beautiful and useful. But that's because you don't have to touch the TV's screen to use it. A phone without even a teeny bezel would really suck, specifically at the edges. big_smile

SpiderOak - get an additional 1GB space for free when you sign up from this link. I'm late to the SpiderOak referral party. big_smile

October 6, 2011 9:12 am
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

I'm thinking that I might go pick up an iPod touch today. 32 GB. If nothing changed with the product then no big deal. I can get buy with a black one.

Or I could always order it online and wait...

Website | Twitter

October 6, 2011 4:19 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

Warbrain wrote:

I'm thinking that I might go pick up an iPod touch today. 32 GB. If nothing changed with the product then no big deal. I can get buy with a black one.

I really get the impression it was just pricing; speaking of which, Target's website has a discount going right now (about $25).

PM me | Twitter

October 6, 2011 4:35 pm
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

JPDyson wrote:
Warbrain wrote:

I really get the impression it was just pricing; speaking of which, Target's website has a discount going right now (about $25).

Really? Hmm. I was going to go to an Apple store. Maybe I'll go to Target instead.

Website | Twitter

October 6, 2011 5:08 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

So, did anybody pre-order? I tried, but kept bumping into errors. My account is on a FAN, which wasn't an issue last year but was the year before that. I finally got through, but for some reason got a reservation instead of a completed order (the email said I would get another email letting me know when I could complete the transaction). But, it's called a reservation, so I assume that means I have a place in line...

PM me | Twitter

October 7, 2011 10:30 am
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

Supposedly unlocked models will be available in November...

Website | Twitter

October 7, 2011 10:43 am
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

Success. I got an email around 7am to complete my order by 5pm tomorrow, and was able to do so a few minutes ago. Delivery on the 14th was quoted (no additional cost). Did have to pay tax, though.

PM me | Twitter

October 7, 2011 11:58 am
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

JPDyson wrote:

Success. I got an email around 7am to complete my order by 5pm tomorrow, and was able to do so a few minutes ago. Delivery on the 14th was quoted (no additional cost). Did have to pay tax, though.

I saw people complaining about the launch but it's nowhere near as bad as last year. I tried at 2 am CDT, tried throughout the day, didn't get mine ordered until 5 PM. I had also apparently succeeded at AT&T early in the morning but canceled that order to get it direct from Apple.

I'm debating what I want to do in terms of the product cycle. I can upgrade in February (and probably could do it earlier if I pushed) and I'm considering going on the tock side of the cycle.

Website | Twitter

October 7, 2011 2:19 pm
JMarkevich

JMarkevich

Sky Pirate

from Halifax, Canada
1,184 posts

iPod was pretty disappointing.  They could have done *something*.  Oh well, I decided to get a small waterproof camera earlier this year anyway, and I plan to get an Eye-Fi card with the new feature to send it to the iPod for my wife, so that works around the wimpy camera somewhat.

At least it tells us they designed iOS5 to work well on older hardware and not just the newest things... I was a bit concerned over that.

October 7, 2011 5:48 pm
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

JMarkevich wrote:

iPod was pretty disappointing.  They could have done *something*.  Oh well, I decided to get a small waterproof camera earlier this year anyway, and I plan to get an Eye-Fi card with the new feature to send it to the iPod for my wife, so that works around the wimpy camera somewhat.

At least it tells us they designed iOS5 to work well on older hardware and not just the newest things... I was a bit concerned over that.

That should have been the tip-off back in June at WWDC. When we heard it would run on the 3GS and the older iPod touches we should have known it was built to run on old devices and that major updates may not be happening.

Then again the 3GS was so much faster than the 3G that it's not surprising.

Website | Twitter

October 7, 2011 9:46 pm
mikeyfindlay

mikeyfindlay

Sky Pirate

from Northern California
1,091 posts

Meh.

I wanted to get the iPhone 4S, but since I just got an Android phone about 4 months ago, it'd cost me more than three times the prices of a 16gb iPhone 4S on contract ($649) to get one so soon after the start of my contract.

I don't feel like paying more than the cost of an iPad 2 16gb to get a single iPhone.

Why is the iPhone priced higher than the iPad anyway? Even the 3G iPad 2 16gb is $20 dollars less ($629)!

MFVISUALS.COM | LAST HONEST TECH BLOG
Gear: 15" MacBook Pro 2012, iPad Air, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 4G, iPod Nano 6G

October 8, 2011 3:49 am
Wasgo

Wasgo

Sky Pirate

from Vancouver, Canada
1,278 posts

mikeyfindlay wrote:

Why is the iPhone priced higher than the iPad anyway? Even the 3G iPad 2 16gb is $20 dollars less ($629)!

Mostly the same hardware, better camera, higher pixel density screen, smaller parts.

Silver Snakes Assemble!

October 8, 2011 4:09 am
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

Wasgo wrote:
mikeyfindlay wrote:

Mostly the same hardware, better camera, higher pixel density screen, smaller parts.

Actually the BOM on an iPad is higher (estimated, by iSuppli, IIRC).

PM me | Twitter

October 8, 2011 12:01 pm
Wasgo

Wasgo

Sky Pirate

from Vancouver, Canada
1,278 posts

JPDyson wrote:
Wasgo wrote:
mikeyfindlay wrote:

I don't really believe in iSuppli's numbers. They're a paid research firm, but really all they supply are well thought out guesses.

Silver Snakes Assemble!

October 8, 2011 3:40 pm
mikeyfindlay

mikeyfindlay

Sky Pirate

from Northern California
1,091 posts

I'm thinking I may just sell my current phone, save up a bit and take the plunge.

I should still be able to get a decent amount of money for my current phone (Droid 2 Global)...

MFVISUALS.COM | LAST HONEST TECH BLOG
Gear: 15" MacBook Pro 2012, iPad Air, iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 4G, iPod Nano 6G

October 8, 2011 7:27 pm
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

Wasgo wrote:
JPDyson wrote:
Wasgo wrote:

I don't really believe in iSuppli's numbers. They're a paid research firm, but really all they supply are well thought out guesses.

This. iSuppli is easily the worst estimator of device manufacture costs.

Website | Twitter

October 9, 2011 3:48 am
DaddyRobyn

DaddyRobyn

Automaton Tech

from Port Moody
112 posts

I can not wait to get my hands on the new 4S!  I've been rocking the iPhone 3G for far too long.  Give me 2 minutes to load up the camera and take a picture.  Forget about google maps and I cracked the screen a few days ago to boot .  I only had it out of the case a few hours.

I Love My Wife!

October 9, 2011 3:31 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Lounge » iPhone 4[S]

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?