Forums

It's over... a final message from the Directorate

MacHeist Forums » The Front » It's over... a final message from the Directorate
phillryu

phillryu

Administrator

1,569 posts

Well, I really don't know what to say. MacHeist has been successful beyond our wildest dreams. I am so proud to say that I was part of such an incredible event, which has raised over $190,000 for charity!

Not only have you guys engineered a massive philanthropic effort, but you have also brought excitement into the Mac shareware industry. Recently, some Mac developers have been telling me how they have begun to doubt that there is a bright future in their business. But after MacHeist, which will go down as one of the biggest successes in the history of Mac shareware, you have sent a message loud and clear: the state of Mac shareware is stronger than ever.

As for the charity, well, $190,000 just doesn't seem like a round enough figure. You guys have done your part; now it's our turn. We will be filling out the donation total to $200,000. And as pledged earlier, all donations will be made in the name of the Mac community.

The past six weeks have been a whirlwind. We have deciphered secret messages, recovered top secret iPhone specs, and even foiled Lisa's nefarious plans. Through these heists, you guys have built maybe the best Mac community on the Internet. Although MacHeist will be slowing down over the next several months, I really hope we are able to keep our vibrant community alive and kicking.

Alas, it wouldn't be MacHeist if we didn't have one more trick up our sleeve. Check back for information on the sixth and final heist. You will definitely want to check it out. We promise.

From John, Scott, Adam, Chiraag, Schlaeps, and Joe, here's wishing everyone a happy holiday season and an even happier new year. From the bottom of our hearts, we can't thank you enough for making MacHeist such a memorable event which we will always treasure.

Co-Creator of MacHeist, Clear, Partner at tap tap tap | follow me on twitter

December 18, 2006 5:06 am
zackkitzmiller

zackkitzmiller

Big Game Hunter

from Rockford, IL
591 posts

Thanks Phill. This has really been the best thing on the Internet over the last 6 weeks.

Stand Up Job.

http://forrst.com

December 18, 2006 5:09 am
daxelrod

daxelrod

Tinkerer

18 posts

Thank you!

Just pretend I have something witty here.

December 18, 2006 5:09 am
fekimoki

fekimoki

Tinkerer

from Jakarta, Indonesia
14 posts

thx again for making phenomenal win win event for the social organisation & us the mac community.
i do hope we'll have next heist.
thx thx thx.

ps. i can't believe i haven't got the textmate, delicious & newsfire s/n sad

Stucel - Web Design Communication Agency

Green go Green!

December 18, 2006 5:10 am
Winnopeg

Winnopeg

Automaton Tech

from Winnipeg, Manitoba
247 posts

Sweet. Good for you for rounding off the donation amount. smile

December 18, 2006 5:11 am
plosfas@plosfas.com

plosfas@plosfas.com

Automaton Tech

from Canada
125 posts

Thanks a lot.

December 18, 2006 5:11 am
r3neGaDe

r3neGaDe

Gearhead

from UCF in Orlando, Florida
75 posts

Thanks Phill, it's been a blast. See you for Heist 6.

the show with Ze Frank - watch it, it rocks

Forget the Social. Welcome to the Amazon.

December 18, 2006 5:13 am
ij00mini

ij00mini

Gearhead

61 posts

Thanks, Phill.  It was lots of fun for everyone.  And it's really great that you are filling out the donation to $200k.

December 18, 2006 5:15 am
thetechkid

thetechkid

Automaton Tech

388 posts

Its been the best thing that ever happened to my mac.... period.
I'm not kidding, and I'm looking foreward to seeing you @ MacWorld Phill!

My Website
Tweet. Twitter me.
Setup: MacBook Pro 15" 2.33gHz C2D|2GB RAM|120GB HD|LaCie external HD|Logitech MX Revolution Mouse

December 18, 2006 5:16 am
zackkitzmiller

zackkitzmiller

Big Game Hunter

from Rockford, IL
591 posts

fekimoki wrote:

thx again for making phenomenal win win event for the social organisation & us the mac community.
i do hope we'll have next heist.
thx thx thx.

ps. i can't believe i haven't got the textmate, delicious & newsfire s/n sad

Just Enter your e-mail address in NewsFire.

Go to macromates.com and click "lost registration info".

I can't help with DL.

http://forrst.com

December 18, 2006 5:18 am
December 18, 2006 5:22 am
attabui

attabui

Automaton Tech

from Atlanta, GA, USA
286 posts

You folks are incredible.  I consider myself lucky that I've been around since the beginning of MyDreamApp, and have been able so see the complete successes that you've had with MDA and MacHeist.

Congrats, and thank you.

...too close for missiles.  I'm switching to guns.

December 18, 2006 5:22 am
abramgornik

abramgornik

Big Game Hunter

from Big Island of Hawaii
603 posts

Thank You!
You guys are doing a great thing, so keep at it!

"If the pen is mightier than the sword, than the keyboard is a friggin lightsaber!"
"Computer are like air conditioners: they stop working when you open windows."
Thats an undead warlock if you're wondering.

December 18, 2006 5:23 am
p8ntballguy

p8ntballguy

Automaton Tech

from New Brunswick, NJ
406 posts

thanks man, it has been amazing

http://www.twitter.com/mikecerisano
http://www.thesixtyone.com/jackietreehorn
▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

December 18, 2006 5:25 am
step

step

Sky Pirate

from Georgia, US
1,787 posts

Weee!  Looks like you guys got your investment back - and then some.  smile  Congrats all around - I think everyone's a winner out of this.

Whistle while you work.  Patience is key.

December 18, 2006 5:26 am
tumuchtime

tumuchtime

Automaton Tech

from the OC
438 posts

As a new Mac owner, this has been a wild ride with some great surprises along the way.  Thanks to the people running this, the people helping with the forums and all involved.  It is such a nice added bonus that Charities benefit from all the hard work it takes to pull this kind of community together.  I am still overwhelmed by all the loot as well as the bundle.  It will take me a long time to figure out how to use all these great apps!

Thanks, thanks and more thanks!

???? Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ????

December 18, 2006 5:27 am
kancept

kancept

Urchin

from Ketchum, ID
6 posts

Dammit!  Just got back from vaca and missed this.  :-/  Oh well...

December 18, 2006 5:33 am
ryansprinkle

ryansprinkle

Gearhead

from San Francisco
94 posts

Thanks a lot Phill&Co!

This really has been a lot of fun, and as a recent switcher it helped me discover a lot of new software for things I didn't even realize my Mac could do.

One request: Can Heist 6 be after my finals? I've been slowed down enough by all the new toys you just sold me.

December 18, 2006 5:45 am
Anthony Ryan

Anthony Ryan

Sky Pirate

1,087 posts

keep up the good work

i wanna see you next big project soon

December 18, 2006 5:47 am

Roo

Urchin

3 posts

I'm glad that much was raised for the good of the world.  I'm awaiting my serial codes, but once I get them, I'm going to make full use of everything I got.

Congratulations, directorates.  You guys really do rock, and I hope you remember this as being something major in your life, and something which majorly influences other lives.

December 18, 2006 5:49 am
smaran

smaran

Tinkerer

29 posts

I am really happy with the outcome of MacHeist. (200k to charity!)

Congratulations, Phill and the gang! I can't wait till the 6th heist and then your next such event. It's really been a win for all. The devs have now got larger customer bases, you guys made your money, we got loads of free apps and 10 really awesome ones for a lot less than they're worth and all those charities each get thousands of dollars.

Keep up the good work. And thank you.

The world is a big madhouse. Think in fours.

December 18, 2006 5:49 am
prophetess

prophetess

Urchin

7 posts

That was amazing.  We need more of this type of attention to charities in the internet world.

December 18, 2006 5:53 am

bawpcwpn

Tinkerer

11 posts

Thanks everyone, MacHeist creators, and everyone else that made macheist what it is. Congratulations on so much money raised and that is very generous of you to round it off to $200 000. Congratulations and thanks!

December 18, 2006 6:20 am

cyndown

Tinkerer

22 posts

Thanks guys!  MacHeist has been a blast.

Fiji

December 18, 2006 6:23 am
eidlog_007

eidlog_007

Tinkerer

from Melbourne, Australia
38 posts

Thank you so much, not only for the cool games, and the extra cool apps, but for introducing me to the world of shareware (and paying for apps)
I never before realized how worthwhile and handy they were.

monkey magic in [img]http://leomancini.net/other_images/logos/macheistVIP/dark.png[/img]

December 18, 2006 6:38 am
sickbar

sickbar

Tinkerer

17 posts

This was and amazing run and undoubtedly a page in the history of the mac community.
I'd like to thank to Directorates for making all of this for us macheads - it was fun.

Ziv

[img]http://leomancini.net/other_images/logos/macheistVIP/dark.png[/img]

December 18, 2006 6:43 am
Tice

Tice

Urchin

from Hamburg, Germany
3 posts

Awsome! I had never thought that this much and this many came together in a Mac community. Great job, great proof! big_smile

Greetings, Tice ; )

December 18, 2006 6:43 am
mokum

mokum

Urchin

from /home/Mokum
1 posts

I always learned that it ain't over till the fat lady sings, so I must have missed something tongue

For sure I've missed the whole heist within a couple of hours so I for one would be more then happy seeing this being repeated tongue

Great show and good job!

Cheers,
mokum

[img]http://www.forgottenhonor.com/hoststuff/dutch/bannercv3zt0.gif[/img]

December 18, 2006 6:53 am

tunicwriter

Urchin

1 posts

Thanks! smile

December 18, 2006 7:17 am

cellorich

Tinkerer

10 posts

Thanks for all your work!! smile

December 18, 2006 7:18 am

kevin.gc

Tinkerer

from Seattle, WA
24 posts

Go Mac community!

December 18, 2006 7:44 am
tekn04

tekn04

Automaton Tech

207 posts

YEAH!! That is absolutely awesome. And so is this. I think I'm speaking for me and all my friends who did this when I say: "AAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGH TTTTTTTTTTHAAANNNNKYOUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!"

December 18, 2006 8:32 am

Roybertito

Gearhead

55 posts

Anyone got that thank you Flash on them?

December 18, 2006 8:35 am

jonst52

Urchin

4 posts

Thank you, guys!

December 18, 2006 9:11 am
ponytail

ponytail

Automaton Tech

from Rochester NY
115 posts

Thank you MacHeist team! This has been lots of fun and got some great software to boot!

Bad command or file name.  Go stand in the corner

December 18, 2006 9:55 am
patelmay

patelmay

Urchin

from Minneapolis, MN, US
7 posts

Yeah... its celebration time... You guys have pulled it off... It was great idea to start with and it definitely payed off... Good work and keep going...
Hope to see 100th Heist... and not done by just 6...

Congratulations..........
And a BIG THANK YOU cool

------------------------
Keep cracking,
patelmay tongue

December 18, 2006 10:57 am
sagmor

sagmor

Tinkerer

from Santiago - Chile
33 posts

What a great project has been Mac Heist Phill
A "million thank you" to you and the crew tongue

In a world full of people, only some want to fly, isn't that crazy?

December 18, 2006 11:19 am

redAPPLE

Urchin

1 posts

this would be the worst question ever asked here, but here goes...

due to too much work, i missed the deadline. is there still a way to get the bundle?

most of you would surely say, go buy the apps and support the developers. i would agree. actually.

but if i buy the apps with their normal pricing, i would unfortunately not have enough to support charity.

i just thought i could ask. maybe the directorate could pm me or something. another thought, maybe i could buy off some license from you guys. drop me a pm. thanks for reading.

December 18, 2006 11:38 am
kickfliperjo

kickfliperjo

Sky Pirate

1,140 posts

thanks you thank you thank you

December 18, 2006 11:44 am
susanabra

susanabra

Automaton Tech

from Denmark
147 posts

redAPPLE wrote:

this would be the worst question ever asked here, but here goes...

No, this is the worst question ever asked here:
I had to wait for my child support to come in before I could afford to buy a second bundle, much less buy the software at regular prices. Can I still do it?

- a nerd of a different color

December 18, 2006 12:23 pm

bucca

Tinkerer

19 posts

This was definitly a great event. When I joined MacHeist I thought about it as a robbery  on the mac-shareware scene and I couldnt understand how they gave all the stuff away. But... now I'm using 1passwd for example and I really really like it - and I think about buying a full license. People could say now that I could have downloaded the trial - but I wasnt interested in such a programm (until I tried my present now wink ).
The bundle was really really awesome - there was some stuff I didnt need or that I already had before - but the great gifting idea made them presents for my mac-geeky-as-me father, who thought about buying them before wink

Thank you MacHeist Team for this great fun and all the christmas presents - Thank you MacHeist Community for unlocking TextMate (I'll definitly buy the 2.0 upgrade)

December 18, 2006 12:42 pm
matthew.gallagher

matthew.gallagher

Gearhead

from Florida
65 posts

This has been an interesting marketing campaign. It will be interesting to see your concept evolve and mature.

Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves…Abraham Lincoln

December 18, 2006 1:00 pm
jocnsoc

jocnsoc

Automaton Tech

from Weird New Jersey
128 posts

Phill & crew, congratulations on a job well done, $190,000 with an extra $10K, you guys are great, and that's not even mentioning all the fun we've all had with the heists.
I can't wait to see what's next.

I've found new developers to keep an eye on, new apps that I will be buying the upgrades for (damn you ;D), and a sweet deal on that bundle.

THANKS!!

December 18, 2006 1:53 pm
SDWgraphics

SDWgraphics

Gearhead

from NJ, USA
80 posts

Thank you, to everyone involved in creating this. This has been a blast and I am glad that I was given the chance to be involved in it.

If you want to follow me on Twitter, you can find me @SanFran876

December 18, 2006 2:02 pm
max

max

Sky Pirate

1,167 posts

I know this is incredibly redundant, but I'd just like to voice my appreciation for the MacHeist experience, the free apps, and the generosity displayed by the Directorate in giving 25% of the proceeds to charity (plus 10k of their own cut!) This has truly been an amazing 6 (7?) weeks, and I look forward to seeing what Phill and the crew come up with next.

December 18, 2006 2:11 pm
cocoacup

cocoacup

Gearhead

from Toronto, ON, Canada
67 posts

good on ya.

c.

i want to learn.

December 18, 2006 2:23 pm
nemesis256

nemesis256

Tinkerer

from Cambridge, MA
39 posts

Awesome job, it's been an interesting ride.

I wonder what would have happened if TextMate wasn't unlocked earlier.

December 18, 2006 3:08 pm
Davrizio

Davrizio

Tinkerer

from Orlando Fl
17 posts

Thanks again Phill & Co.

Being relatively new to the Mac community...this was sure an awesome introduction

December 18, 2006 3:37 pm
Strongblade

Strongblade

Gearhead

53 posts

Awesome job, and it was alot of fun! Thanks a million to the entire MacHeist Team!

Roybertito wrote:

Anyone got that thank you Flash on them?

Yup I have it here.

Strongblade!

December 18, 2006 3:46 pm
gallagb

gallagb

Gearhead

79 posts

ditto to most of the above comments

*sigh

December 18, 2006 4:54 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Front » It's over... a final message from the Directorate

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?