Forums

American History Lux

MacHeist Forums » The Lounge » American History Lux
cwlq

cwlq

Tinkerer

from Bangalore, India
10 posts

I've only played one level, but I think this game is pretty fun. The music is quite good and not at all irritating. The maps are nice looking as well. The rules are a bit more complicated than regular Risk, but after you figure that out it is very enjoyable. I'm sure some people will be disappointed that there is no network play, but I usually prefer playing against an AI, so that didn't bother me.
I really like the feature that enables one to play the game in a window and that the music is muted when the player switched to another app. I was, however, disappointed that a map for the Spanish-American war was not included. I would have preferred that to the Iraq map, even though the latter is more topical.

What do you think of it?

My name is Chris Quackenbush.
I like ice cream and comic books.
I am not at all abnormal.

November 4, 2006 12:27 am
Cypy

Cypy

Big Game Hunter

704 posts

I'll get back to you as soon as I find time to play it. wink

November 4, 2006 12:28 am
rebelyell2k5

rebelyell2k5

Automaton Tech

from Northern Virginia
143 posts

It looks lame.
But I'll give it a shot.

@alexobenauer

November 4, 2006 1:08 am
shadownight

shadownight

Sky Pirate

from Montreal, Canada
1,567 posts

What I don't get is how you can move your troops. What's the point of having these 10s in the middle of my territory if I can't use it for anything? Nice game nonetheless for boring days...

Back on my two feet

November 4, 2006 1:48 am
wal9000

wal9000

Gearhead

from Pennsylvania
50 posts

shadownight wrote:

What I don't get is how you can move your troops. What's the point of having these 10s in the middle of my territory if I can't use it for anything? Nice game nonetheless for boring days...

You need to use fortify at the end of your turn. Each unit can only move one position in the fortification, but keep in mind that there is one troop (uncounted) on every territory you control, so you can fortify one unit as far as you want by shuffling each one on the path forward a territory.

Heister 313
I shop at The Amazon

November 4, 2006 1:55 am
attabui

attabui

Automaton Tech

from Atlanta, GA, USA
286 posts

Keep futzing with it, this game is really starting to grow on me and get addictive. 

Spend some time reading the rules/instructions, it's really a pretty complex and addictive game once you get through the learning curve.

...too close for missiles.  I'm switching to guns.

November 4, 2006 1:56 am
Jack

Jack

Automaton Tech

from Adelaide, Australia
159 posts

All this talk makes me want to play it, it is still collecting dust in my games folder...

smile

Best Blog...

http://www.glennwolsey.com

November 4, 2006 2:37 am

dprior

Urchin

4 posts

Damn - I love this game, and I love that I can recommend it to my windows-using friends, but it's a bummer that there's no network play.

November 4, 2006 2:37 am
Leo

Leo

Automaton Tech

from NYC
269 posts

I was thinking of buying it a while ago but then this site came along and I got it for FREE!

Very cool game, BTW.

leomancini.net
theAmazon

November 4, 2006 2:47 am
wph

wph

Sky Pirate

1,591 posts

I won the French and Indian war, it's a fun game of RISK-- I mean American History Lux.

I would never have bought it, but I'll play it in the future when I'm bored.

November 4, 2006 4:23 am
kodac

kodac

Automaton Tech

from Southern California
196 posts

Been meaning to try this out. Now I guess I have an excuse...

Tired of friends filling up your Dropbox? Then try Copy w/ Fair Storage and get 20Gb when you use my referral link https://copy.com?r=VKrfCL

November 4, 2006 4:51 am
phillryu

phillryu

Administrator

1,569 posts

A review of it on InsideMacGames.

Co-Creator of MacHeist, Clear, Partner at tap tap tap | follow me on twitter

November 4, 2006 4:55 am
Photo678

Photo678

Automaton Tech

from quaint little town in PA
332 posts

Yeah, I had a pretty good time playing it as well.

November 4, 2006 6:01 am

General_Coolman

Urchin

3 posts

I just want the other version of Lux now. It has custom maps and stuff. Yummy.

This will do for now.

November 4, 2006 6:08 am
davidzumini

davidzumini

Automaton Tech

from Portland, OR
278 posts

It's a good game. I'm glad we got it free. I enjoy playing RISK, but it always takes so long. This is a great way to play a much faster version.

- Z

PM me | Twitter | Website

November 4, 2006 10:57 am
Tobbz

Tobbz

Gearhead

from Denmark
91 posts

I've been playing the demo version of Lux Delux.. And i really liked it.
Gonna try AH Lux later on today.

▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

November 4, 2006 11:02 am
Ankur

Ankur

Automaton Tech

from Melbourne, Australia
154 posts

I was a little disappointed with it... but then again, I haven't actually opened it yet.

Ankur Kothari

November 4, 2006 11:07 am
Wasgo

Wasgo

Sky Pirate

from Vancouver, Canada
1,278 posts

I like it, but it doesn't look like it'll have much replay value, unlike Lux Deluxe.

Silver Snakes Assemble!

Join Dropbox today and get an extra 250MB. Click here for details!

November 4, 2006 3:06 pm
crapple

crapple

Gearhead

from Atlanta, GA
65 posts

I've been playing normal lux for about 6 months...nice to have some new maps/scenarios!  I'm up to WWI already!  Thank you MacHeist! big_smile

Mistakes are the portals of discovery. - James Joyce

November 4, 2006 3:39 pm

Niclas

Urchin

from Sweden
8 posts

What the hell - I can't seem to win in this game... Bah, it's a nice freebie though big_smile

Niclas Bergström
loveniclas.com | crew12.se

November 4, 2006 5:20 pm
jarland

jarland

Automaton Tech

from Hallsville, TX
206 posts

I'm hooked, this game is fun. I have no idea why, it just is.

"The proper rewards are not simply tacked on to the activity for which they are given, but are the activity itself in consummation." - C.S. Lewis
http://www.jarlanddonnell.com

November 4, 2006 6:38 pm
ryansprinkle

ryansprinkle

Gearhead

from San Francisco
94 posts

My girlfriend would love this game, as she loves Risk and she loves History, so she'd have a fun time with all the interesting maps.

Too bad she vehemently apposes Macs with fire of a thousand O class suns.

She actually laughed at me when I dropped my MBP and had to send it in for repairs claiming that she "never drops her windows computer..."

But then again, she is just bad a computers in general and resists change in computer related areas. It took me months to get her to switch to Firefox, and now that Firefox 2.0 is out she is resisting changing to that too...

Anyway, its a fun game, and now I finally have somthing in my games folder besides Quinn

November 4, 2006 8:21 pm
Rezmason

Rezmason

Tinkerer

from Troy, NY
34 posts

Wow! This game is fun. Not as fun as Pax Galaxia, I think, but I definitely appreciate it as a freebie.

▛▞▞▟ Viva la BLUE Team! ▙▚▚▜

November 4, 2006 9:12 pm

Spiky

Tinkerer

21 posts

This game is a very nice freebie!  My friend bought Lux about a year ago and he moved away so now I get to play it too!

Thanks guys!

[img]http://leomancini.net/other_images/logos/amazon/light.png[/img] is complicated.

November 4, 2006 9:52 pm
orliville

orliville

Gearhead

from Midwestern US
64 posts

This game is great, it reminds me of late nights of RISK and coffee in college...  Don't worry, I did have a life outside of the RISK nights wink

Signature

November 4, 2006 11:54 pm

Declin

Tinkerer

49 posts

The game was really fun but it needed more levels. Once I beat it once on a single difficulty (just took a couple hours) I have little desire to go back to it...

November 5, 2006 12:17 am
DZV

DZV

Tinkerer

25 posts

It took me 1 hour to beat the game. Maybe a little short...

Go Green!

November 5, 2006 12:51 am
RollingFlo

RollingFlo

Gearhead

72 posts

Did you choose a different difficulty level? There are for of them, not obvious at first sight.

Fairies wear boots and you gotta believe me!

November 5, 2006 1:03 am
Nollid07

Nollid07

Automaton Tech

from Michigan
248 posts

It's fun, I haven't beaten it yet though.

Sweet.

November 5, 2006 1:06 am
Harpastum

Harpastum

Tinkerer

from Wisconsin
27 posts

very fun game. finished it on rookie difficulty, i might go back and try the others in a little bit.

Coincidence? Not on MacHeist.

November 5, 2006 1:09 am
midnite

midnite

Tinkerer

from Sydney
43 posts

Intresting smile Not nearly as good as Lux but it was still pretty kwel. I finished it in about 30 mins on the standard difficulty. The AI on standard don't seem to be as good as the ones in Lux. It ain't got much replay value either but hey.. awesome for a freebie!

November 5, 2006 2:40 am
Finney

Finney

Automaton Tech

from Montreal
161 posts

It's addicting... I beat the game on the easy level. But after a while I start swearing at the others. Oh, and I accidentally killed off all my allies in WWI. tongue

November 5, 2006 2:11 pm

dizzydog11235

Automaton Tech

from Pennsylvania
133 posts

I enjoyed the game very much! But I still can't beat the first level on General. Any suggestions?

November 6, 2006 12:24 am
novisdesign

novisdesign

Tinkerer

17 posts

Very fun game (I'm already getting addicted to it). I beat the game on the easiest level in about half an hour and am almost done on the second level. The game is challenging, but more importantly, cool music smile!

November 6, 2006 12:29 am
wph

wph

Sky Pirate

1,591 posts

I was breezing through it until the Korean War...
I keep on losing!

November 6, 2006 12:35 am

dizzydog11235

Automaton Tech

from Pennsylvania
133 posts

wph wrote:

I keep on losing!

Make sure they don't control Korea at any point in time because then they get too many units.

November 6, 2006 12:53 am
wph

wph

Sky Pirate

1,591 posts

dizzydog11235 wrote:
wph wrote:

I keep on losing!

Make sure they don't control Korea at any point in time because then they get too many units.

I tried that; which Korea?

November 6, 2006 1:54 am

dizzydog11235

Automaton Tech

from Pennsylvania
133 posts

you have to penetrate into N.Korea every turn while you slowly take over S. Korea

November 6, 2006 2:09 am

thewaya

Urchin

5 posts

i'm loving this game! i am very tempted to get Lux Delux, but US$25 is a bit steep for me right now. hopefully MacZot will come out with it soon or they'll give it us here.

November 6, 2006 7:21 am
wrestler500

wrestler500

Tinkerer

36 posts

It's a very good game, I'm trying to beat Korea right now lol

Ehh....

November 6, 2006 4:08 pm
diordna

diordna

Automaton Tech

from Cincinnati, Ohio
403 posts

Yeah, Korea is a tough one. I'm still working on it on the 2nd difficulty level. I think I'll take that advice about invading one North territory every turn. Makes me remember how scary Kim Jong Il is.

Beat the first difficulty in short order though.

Maybe I hate everything. Or maybe I just hate you.

November 6, 2006 8:45 pm

dizzydog11235

Automaton Tech

from Pennsylvania
133 posts

I am still stuck on General on the first level! Do you just have to be lucky? Or is there any good strategy?

November 7, 2006 12:55 am
Query

Query

Automaton Tech

from New York, USA
289 posts

This game reminds me of my RISK days. That game was fun. smile

I'm actually quite surprised at how many people took the time to download it, play it and beat it. It's normally one of those things I may find myself looking over, never to touch again.

Now that I've actually taken the time to play it, I find that I like it.

And I like freebies. (*hinthint*)

November 7, 2006 1:06 am
step

step

Sky Pirate

from Georgia, US
1,787 posts

ryansprinkle wrote:

My girlfriend would love this game, as she loves Risk and she loves History, so she'd have a fun time with all the interesting maps.

Too bad she vehemently apposes Macs with fire of a thousand O class suns.

She actually laughed at me when I dropped my MBP and had to send it in for repairs claiming that she "never drops her windows computer..."

But then again, she is just bad a computers in general and resists change in computer related areas. It took me months to get her to switch to Firefox, and now that Firefox 2.0 is out she is resisting changing to that too...

Anyway, its a fun game, and now I finally have somthing in my games folder besides Quinn

Sounds like you need a new girlfriend.  wink 

My wife's actually similarly resistant, though not quite so stubborn.  She wouldn't quite laugh at me for dropping a laptop either - that's just wrong!  tongue

Whistle while you work.  Patience is key.

November 7, 2006 3:07 pm
Schlaeps

Schlaeps

Automaton Tech

from Santa Cruz, CA
332 posts

McDonald's wrote:

I'm lovin' it.

smile

5 (665) 367-5472

I'm blue daba de daba di.

November 7, 2006 3:41 pm
Strange

Strange

Sky Pirate

from New York, NY
1,026 posts

The thought of MacBooks dropping is so painful...
I don't understand Mac Haters. Really.

November 7, 2006 5:51 pm
pschorr

pschorr

Big Game Hunter

from Pittsburgh, PA
675 posts

Very enjoyable.

I have a twitter

November 7, 2006 7:47 pm
lordryan

lordryan

Tinkerer

18 posts

cool game...too expensive for the "full version" but hopefully we'll get that here or on macappaday....

November 7, 2006 11:20 pm
phoenixsong44

phoenixsong44

Tinkerer

from Michigan
28 posts

Was a little disappointed at first by the appearance, didn't look very professional.

But then I played it... and forgot to eat dinner. Its addicting.

November 8, 2006 7:26 pm
Jesus

Jesus

Urchin

8 posts

How have you all managed to unlock all the levels? My copy stops after the Mexican-American war!?

How long 'til the next heist, huh?!?!?!

November 11, 2006 8:06 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Lounge » American History Lux

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?