Forums

Recommended todo list application

MacHeist Forums » The Lounge » Recommended todo list application
isdereks

isdereks

Urchin

from Seattle
7 posts

Thought I'd break my first post with a request for recommendations on a decent todo list application. Preferably something that includes reminders, categories, or something that resides in the menu bar. Any ideas?

5thirtyone.com

November 8, 2006 4:45 am
ryantrip

ryantrip

Tinkerer

31 posts

ical tongue

[img]http://leomancini.net/other_images/logos/macheistVIP/dark.png[/img]
Teh HAXORS! LOL

November 8, 2006 4:46 am
isdereks

isdereks

Urchin

from Seattle
7 posts

I ditched iCal for Google Calenders and I'll be damned if I use that app just for todo items. Maybe when that Google Cal / iCal sync utility comes out I'll consider moving back.

5thirtyone.com

November 8, 2006 4:51 am
Ænima

Ænima

Sky Pirate

from Michigan
1,304 posts

In Leopard to-do lists are becoming a system wide feature that I believe is open for other devs to use in their apps. You might wanna wait unless it's freeware. I could be remembering wrong though, I know it's at least added to mail.app and integrates with iCal. I'm really hoping for some iCal and gCal syncing myself. I heard that the Spanning Sync thing might end up being a subscription service. Boooo!

"It has become appallingly clear that our technology has surpassed our humanity."
- Albert Einstein

November 8, 2006 5:03 am
isdereks

isdereks

Urchin

from Seattle
7 posts

Subscription based?! Nooo.. sad I'll probably end up paying though.

5thirtyone.com

November 8, 2006 5:34 am
isdereks

isdereks

Urchin

from Seattle
7 posts

The only app that I've found to be promising Checkoff.

5thirtyone.com

November 8, 2006 8:15 am

leanda

Tinkerer

from UK
16 posts

November 8, 2006 8:27 am
nutsmuggler

nutsmuggler

Tinkerer

from Verona, Italy
31 posts

Check out Mori. Great app. I use it for all my websites projects.

November 8, 2006 9:01 am
mikae1

mikae1

Urchin

6 posts

If a webapp is okay I'd suggest Remember The Milk.

I've never tried this widget, but perhaps it's worth a try: http://www.bluehenley.com/products/dobedo/

My personal fave for organizing info is TiddlyWiki. There's a plug-in called CheckboxPlugin that allows you to create checkboxes for to-do lists.

November 8, 2006 12:01 pm
CaptainPsyko

CaptainPsyko

Tinkerer

44 posts

How many times am I going to have to do this before people notice it:

Oh, and High Priority. If you use To Do Lists in iCal, YOU NEED High Priority. If you wished you could use To Do Lists in iCal, you need high priority. If you like to keep track of tasks, you need High Priority.

This one goes out to all my peoples with addictions...
Fightin' the fight against the men who write prescriptions...

November 8, 2006 1:00 pm
Ænima

Ænima

Sky Pirate

from Michigan
1,304 posts

CaptainPsyko wrote:

Oh, and High Priority. If you use To Do Lists in iCal, YOU NEED High Priority. If you wished you could use To Do Lists in iCal, you need high priority. If you like to keep track of tasks, you need High Priority.

I've never really done to do lists but after checking out how easy it is with high priority I think I'm gonna start. I'll at least try it out and see if I like it. Thanks man!

"It has become appallingly clear that our technology has surpassed our humanity."
- Albert Einstein

November 8, 2006 2:47 pm
MacFreak

MacFreak

Automaton Tech

256 posts

I just want a simple app that lets me add  items to a list, that I can re-order as a I want. I don't need any thing complex, just a basic program, that looks good.

Ugh, I really need to get my butt back on learning Cocoa.

November 8, 2006 4:26 pm
smacmac

smacmac

Urchin

from ~/
6 posts

isdereks wrote:

The only app that I've found to be promising Checkoff.

I have used it for some time, but it kind of lacks some features... (At the same time I love it for it simple design and ease of use)

iHome || iPod invisa || iWalk || Every app you could ever want
andreasseverinsen.net

November 8, 2006 4:36 pm
wph

wph

Sky Pirate

1,591 posts

I've been looking for so long...
I want something that is easy to use, looks good, lets me arrange by date, but still rearrange within each date.

Maybe some of the suggested apps will work out for me.

November 8, 2006 8:56 pm

Chris24

Automaton Tech

from Waterloo, Canada
122 posts

To-Do Lists... Hmmm.... Well... I usually use somthing called "paper" lol

Also, When I do, I use Google Calender, iCal, and just for storing to-do notes, in OmniOutliner Pro.

November 8, 2006 9:00 pm
antiheld

antiheld

Tinkerer

from Germany
22 posts

How about Tadalist? Little part of Basecamp but free. Also it comes with a widget.
http://www.tadalist.com/

Excuse my bad English, I usually wear Lederhosen.

November 8, 2006 9:20 pm
onerythym

onerythym

Big Game Hunter

from SF
994 posts

ive never found one that really integrates well with ical,

anyone mess with google calander?

Green Team 4Lyfe

November 8, 2006 11:54 pm
metfuel

metfuel

Tinkerer

from Elmira, NY
16 posts

Here is a simple app that was made by the guys over at realmacsoftware (rapidweaver) that he had abandoned. It is bare bones but it works.

http://www.realmacsoftware.com/support/ … hp?id=5141

the funny thing is that Adam Betts had made an icon for it and submitted it to them and it was rejected yikes

http://www.artofadambetts.com/weblog/?p=122

https://www.macheist.com/buy/invite/1055

November 9, 2006 12:38 am
rampancy

rampancy

from Denial.
3,889 posts

I used to use CheckOff, but having it in the Menu Bar just didn't work out for me; I needed something in a simple window all by itself.

Anyway, it sounds like you'd really like ToDo by Jim McGowan. It's quickly become my favorite to-do list app.

Marathon Forever.
AppShelf: MacHeist 3 Loot
AppShelf: nanoBundle 1
Check Reciept Page for nanoBundle 2 AppShelf Files.

November 10, 2006 5:36 am

madmaxmedia

Urchin

6 posts

Actiontastic is a pretty nice new app-
http://www.kaboomerang.com/blog/category/actiontastic/

It uses a GTD type system.

November 10, 2006 6:13 am
kalten19

kalten19

Urchin

2 posts

I'm a supporter of the Kinkless GTD system, but the developer has since ceased upgrading and has joined forces with Omni to make the recently released Omniplan beta.  This program runs David Allen's GTD to a degree (I'm still poking around in it and I'm not totally sure how orthodox it is) and has benefited from Merlin Mann's (of 43folders.com) input.  The nicest thing I've noticed at first glance is a visualization window for projects which shows what tasks are depending on what other tasks or resources.

"It may well be doubted whether human ingenuity can construct an enigma... which human ingenuity may not, by proper application, resolve.” - Poe

November 10, 2006 3:23 pm
epochblue

epochblue

Big Game Hunter

from St. Louis, MO
580 posts

rampancy wrote:

Anyway, it sounds like you'd really like ToDo by Jim McGowan. It's quickly become my favorite to-do list app.

Hey - I didn't know about this app.  Looks pretty slick!  Thanks for this.

-- epochblue rolls with a 15" 1.67Ghz PowerBook G4, a 20GB 4G iPod, and a 2G shuffle.

November 10, 2006 3:28 pm
rampancy

rampancy

from Denial.
3,889 posts

@epochblue - don't mention it! I was surprised the author hadn't posted this to VT or MU; he's also good with updates, fixing one major issue with adding entries pretty quickly.

I've been using GTD myself lately - I use an installed combination of Tracks and Locomotive. It's more clunky than things like Frictionless, Actiontastic, Omniplan or the lamented iGTD, but the nice thing about it is that I can install it on both my Windows box in the lab and on my own machine and sync my GTD items between them.

Marathon Forever.
AppShelf: MacHeist 3 Loot
AppShelf: nanoBundle 1
Check Reciept Page for nanoBundle 2 AppShelf Files.

November 11, 2006 3:13 am
MacHeist Forums » The Lounge » Recommended todo list application

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?