Forums

Safe Deposit Questions/Answers

MacHeist Forums » The Front » Safe Deposit Questions/Answers
Apcs11

Apcs11

Dirigible Captain

from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
2,577 posts

@ ollie

How does the shredding work? Lets say I have tons of incriminating files that are intermittently scattered in my pictures folder and I insert them one after another...
Will the animation have to load for each one or will the animation stay continuous until they are all done or will it be slow? Also will folders be shreddable?

And can the government recover the data once it has been shredded? Is there a x48 option like Disk Utility has?

Han shot first.

April 24, 2007 9:49 pm
wph

wph

Sky Pirate

1,591 posts

Apcs11 wrote:

@ ollie

How does the shredding work? Lets say I have tons of incriminating files that are intermittently scattered in my pictures folder and I insert them one after another...
Will the animation have to load for each one or will the animation stay continuous until they are all done or will it be slow? Also will folders be shreddable?

And can the government recover the data once it has been shredded? Is there a x48 option like Disk Utility has?

What do you have on your computer.... yikes

April 24, 2007 9:52 pm
Apcs11

Apcs11

Dirigible Captain

from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
2,577 posts

wph wrote:
Apcs11 wrote:

@ ollie

How does the shredding work? Lets say I have tons of incriminating files that are intermittently scattered in my pictures folder and I insert them one after another...
Will the animation have to load for each one or will the animation stay continuous until they are all done or will it be slow? Also will folders be shreddable?

And can the government recover the data once it has been shredded? Is there a x48 option like Disk Utility has?

What do you have on your computer.... yikes

lol you dont want to know.....

Naw, Its just a hypothetical.

Han shot first.

April 24, 2007 10:02 pm
Corsec

Corsec

Tinkerer

19 posts

Has everyone chosen to ignore the fact that Mac OS X has a "Secure Delete" option when emptying the trash that does this just as well if not better? It uses DoD (Department Of Defense) standards I believe. Another useless app that uses my resources to draw pretty pictures. Weeeeee

Corsec
Green Team

April 24, 2007 10:12 pm
Photo678

Photo678

Automaton Tech

from quaint little town in PA
332 posts

Corsec wrote:

Has everyone chosen to ignore the fact that Mac OS X has a "Secure Delete" option when emptying the trash that does this just as well if not better? It uses DoD (Department Of Defense) standards I believe. Another useless app that uses my resources to draw pretty pictures. Weeeeee

Yes, we all know about secure delete....this app is not just a file deletion app, it's an encryption app, with the added benefit of a secure delete option built right in. (as opposed to dragging to trash, finder>secure empty trash)  Perhaps read his blog to get more info.

April 24, 2007 10:16 pm
step

step

Sky Pirate

from Georgia, US
1,787 posts

wph wrote:
Apcs11 wrote:

@ ollie

How does the shredding work? Lets say I have tons of incriminating files that are intermittently scattered in my pictures folder and I insert them one after another...
Will the animation have to load for each one or will the animation stay continuous until they are all done or will it be slow? Also will folders be shreddable?

And can the government recover the data once it has been shredded? Is there a x48 option like Disk Utility has?

What do you have on your computer.... yikes

I hope that was more hypothetical than it sounded like.  If not, I don't want to know.

Whistle while you work.  Patience is key.

April 24, 2007 10:18 pm

alej744

Sky Pirate

from Miami
1,813 posts

I don't really fully understand what Safe Deposit does.
Secure Delete... OK?
Encrypting files... why?

April 24, 2007 10:27 pm
max

max

Sky Pirate

1,167 posts

alej744 wrote:

I don't really fully understand what Safe Deposit does.
Secure Delete... OK?
Encrypting files... why?

uh... so your parents can't see those pictures you have wink

April 24, 2007 10:49 pm
shadownight

shadownight

Sky Pirate

from Montreal, Canada
1,567 posts

Apcs11 wrote:

How does the shredding work? Lets say I have tons of incriminating files that are intermittently scattered in my pictures folder and I insert them one after another...

Pirated music my eye. In your pictures folder? That's where your pr0n lives, dirty little boy.

Back on my two feet

April 24, 2007 11:01 pm
step

step

Sky Pirate

from Georgia, US
1,787 posts

shadownight wrote:
Apcs11 wrote:

How does the shredding work? Lets say I have tons of incriminating files that are intermittently scattered in my pictures folder and I insert them one after another...

Pirated music my eye. In your pictures folder? That's where your pr0n lives, dirty little boy.

heh.  So I'm not the only one who caught that . . .

Whistle while you work.  Patience is key.

April 25, 2007 1:33 am
jdcfsu

jdcfsu

Automaton Tech

268 posts

I'm sure this app was developed for people like Apcs11. wink

I like to pull heists.

April 25, 2007 1:49 am
Apcs11

Apcs11

Dirigible Captain

from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
2,577 posts

Oh c'mon guys. I swear I was joking. Id never store pr0n on my computer.

It was an analogy tongue

Han shot first.

April 25, 2007 1:55 am
shadownight

shadownight

Sky Pirate

from Montreal, Canada
1,567 posts

Apcs11 wrote:

Oh c'mon guys. I swear I was joking. Id never store pr0n on my computer.

Perhaps you want to shred those pr0n bookmarks then, plus the History, plus the Cache, plus the Google search auto-complete... wink Just teasin'

Back on my two feet

April 25, 2007 1:59 am
Photo678

Photo678

Automaton Tech

from quaint little town in PA
332 posts

alej744 wrote:

I don't really fully understand what Safe Deposit does.
Secure Delete... OK?
Encrypting files... why?

If you share your computer with anyone?.....if you have your computer at your office/school?....if you just have things you dont want other people to be able to see if they use your computer (bills, porn, emails, resumes, letters, documents, journals, bank statements, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc)

April 25, 2007 2:42 am
kraziboi428

kraziboi428

Urchin

from the OC
5 posts

Just in case if this isnt mentioned...... there is something fishy about the safe deposit website... the main page with the knob... i kinda figured something out... oh nvm i dont want spoil it. Go find it yourselves!

April 25, 2007 7:13 am
boboboe

boboboe

Moderator

from Eastern Canada
2,356 posts

kraziboi428 wrote:

Just in case if this isnt mentioned...... there is something fishy about the safe deposit website... the main page with the knob... i kinda figured something out... oh nvm i dont want spoil it. Go find it yourselves!

i clicked around for a while, but nothing really happened...

Flickr

April 25, 2007 10:38 am
wph

wph

Sky Pirate

1,591 posts

boboboe wrote:
kraziboi428 wrote:

Just in case if this isnt mentioned...... there is something fishy about the safe deposit website... the main page with the knob... i kinda figured something out... oh nvm i dont want spoil it. Go find it yourselves!

i clicked around for a while, but nothing really happened...

Same here, I think we just got tricked!

April 25, 2007 11:24 am
Ollie

Ollie

Tinkerer

from Albuquerque
23 posts

Safe Deposit encrypts your files using AES 128. If it's good enough for governments around the world, it's good enough for your p...*ahem*..important files!

More to come soon...

April 25, 2007 2:08 pm
rampancy

rampancy

Moderator

from Denial.
3,889 posts

Corsec wrote:

Has everyone chosen to ignore the fact that Mac OS X has a "Secure Delete" option when emptying the trash that does this just as well if not better? It uses DoD (Department Of Defense) standards I believe. Another useless app that uses my resources to draw pretty pictures. Weeeeee

Using that logic, you should be using FreeBSD vis CLI. After all, why waste resources on something as useless as a pretty GUI?

Marathon Forever.
AppShelf: MacHeist 3 Loot
AppShelf: nanoBundle 1
Check Reciept Page for nanoBundle 2 AppShelf Files.

April 25, 2007 2:44 pm
Photo678

Photo678

Automaton Tech

from quaint little town in PA
332 posts

kraziboi428 wrote:

Just in case if this isnt mentioned...... there is something fishy about the safe deposit website... the main page with the knob... i kinda figured something out... oh nvm i dont want spoil it. Go find it yourselves!

there is a bunch of weird stuff going on there....care to elaborate a little though?

April 25, 2007 4:00 pm
happy

happy

Gearhead

from Newfane
88 posts

kraziboi428 wrote:

Just in case if this isnt mentioned...... there is something fishy about the safe deposit website... the main page with the knob... i kinda figured something out... oh nvm i dont want spoil it. Go find it yourselves!

you mean in the source? or something else?

April 25, 2007 7:07 pm
Photo678

Photo678

Automaton Tech

from quaint little town in PA
332 posts

yeah...for starters look at the source code of safedeposit.com.....second, check out your activity window....some pngs and js stuff that is there but doesnt show up...weird....mini heist???

NVM....source was changed

April 25, 2007 7:17 pm
getthebiggem

getthebiggem

Automaton Tech

from Duluth, MN
251 posts

what did the source say??

It's sad how theAmazon is slowly falling apart.
I thought Phill died...
Avatar comps. of Leo Mancini (leomancini.net).

April 25, 2007 10:05 pm
Photo678

Photo678

Automaton Tech

from quaint little town in PA
332 posts

something about "keycode is 12345 blah blah blah"

April 25, 2007 10:46 pm

DavidDBob

Urchin

2 posts

Look at the javascript, though wink

April 25, 2007 10:54 pm
happy

happy

Gearhead

from Newfane
88 posts

DavidDBob wrote:

Look at the javascript, though wink

yes im aware of that, but does something actually happen?

April 25, 2007 10:58 pm

DavidDBob

Urchin

2 posts

Not yet.  Unless you enter a ton of code/add an event to run the function in the URL bar, but it probably will when the site is updated.  It seems to track keys, and when you enter 12345 it will send you to the main site or something.  We'll see.

April 25, 2007 11:12 pm

Jjcd7

Tinkerer

39 posts

How do you get our emails? From macheist, linking us to the coupon code?

April 26, 2007 1:57 pm
step

step

Sky Pirate

from Georgia, US
1,787 posts

Yeah, your MH email from registration is what has been used for every license that you've gotten from heisting so far.  When you complete a heist, the relevant developers get your email address to issue you a license - in this case, you just have to wait some.

Whistle while you work.  Patience is key.

April 26, 2007 2:01 pm

Jjcd7

Tinkerer

39 posts

Ah, I see. Thanks. It looks like a sweet app, macheist has brought me to a lot of cool apps and betas.

April 26, 2007 2:03 pm
hazzav

hazzav

Automaton Tech

from The Land of Fish and Chips
119 posts

It sound sweet, but honestly, how much would you guys use it?

▞▞▞▞ blu blu bluE! ▚▚▚▚

April 26, 2007 5:28 pm
Apcs11

Apcs11

Dirigible Captain

from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
2,577 posts

Alot. If done right and used by all of us, it [the compressed files] could be more ubiquitous than .zip files!!

Han shot first.

April 26, 2007 7:50 pm
step

step

Sky Pirate

from Georgia, US
1,787 posts

Apcs11 wrote:

Alot. If done right and used by all of us, it [the compressed files] could be more ubiquitous than .zip files!!

That doesn't make any sense.  They're not compressed files, they are encrypted.  Are we talking about the same thing - the Safe Deposit App?  The resulting files aren't intended to be passed around, quite the opposite. 

At least I didn't see anything that indicated to me this was supposed to be a another compression app.  The "safe" metaphor wouldn't really make sense for that either.

Whistle while you work.  Patience is key.

April 27, 2007 2:25 am
Apcs11

Apcs11

Dirigible Captain

from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
2,577 posts

step wrote:
Apcs11 wrote:

Alot. If done right and used by all of us, it [the compressed files] could be more ubiquitous than .zip files!!

That doesn't make any sense.  They're not compressed files, they are encrypted.  Are we talking about the same thing - the Safe Deposit App?  The resulting files aren't intended to be passed around, quite the opposite. 

At least I didn't see anything that indicated to me this was supposed to be a another compression app.  The "safe" metaphor wouldn't really make sense for that either.

Yeah, but it could be a new easy way to pass around top-secret files with ease.

And IMO, if vaults are going to be useful, they should be compressed, right? But compression isnt necessary, Im just really excited for the encryption.

Han shot first.

April 27, 2007 2:32 am
Ollie

Ollie

Tinkerer

from Albuquerque
23 posts

The app doesn't compress files, it just encrypts them (using DoD standards). It tries to tie in with your workflow as much as possible, so the performance gained by not compressing them is substantial and pretty necessary.

April 27, 2007 2:36 am
grr74

grr74

Tinkerer

from Japan
30 posts

I wonder if this app speeds up the Secure Empty Trash function of Finder (as it takes a bloody long time to secure delete files). I await this release with much interest, cheers!

"I'm not tempted to write a song about George W.Bush. I couldn't figure out what sort of song I would write. That's the problem: I don't want to satirise George Bush and his puppeteers, I want to vaporise them ... And that's not funny." - Tom Lehrer

April 27, 2007 4:33 am
definetheline

definetheline

Sky Pirate

from Canada
1,512 posts

grr74 wrote:

I wonder if this app speeds up the Secure Empty Trash function of Finder (as it takes a bloody long time to secure delete files). I await this release with much interest, cheers!

I'm pretty sure that that is not determined by the speed of your machine, the apps, or OS X. Rather, it is determined by the speed of the HD you are using. A 7200 RPM disk would be faster than a 5400 RPM disk, because the disk is really just writing over the files over and over again.

the greatest blog known to mankind / twitter / flickr

April 27, 2007 8:38 pm
getthebiggem

getthebiggem

Automaton Tech

from Duluth, MN
251 posts

I might use it just to see the paper shreder thing smile

It's sad how theAmazon is slowly falling apart.
I thought Phill died...
Avatar comps. of Leo Mancini (leomancini.net).

April 27, 2007 8:49 pm
bododavid

bododavid

Gearhead

from America
71 posts

where is this beta? I can't be excited about the Joost beta forever

Bundle referral link:
http://www.macheist.com/bundle/u/17402/

April 28, 2007 12:34 am
Corsec

Corsec

Tinkerer

19 posts

rampancy wrote:
Corsec wrote:

Has everyone chosen to ignore the fact that Mac OS X has a "Secure Delete" option when emptying the trash that does this just as well if not better? It uses DoD (Department Of Defense) standards I believe. Another useless app that uses my resources to draw pretty pictures. Weeeeee

Using that logic, you should be using FreeBSD vis CLI. After all, why waste resources on something as useless as a pretty GUI?

Wow thats some solid logic....Oh wait, No its not. Apples and Oranges.

These graphic effects have no purpose. They are only for looks. Does that animation help productivity? Does it help you complete your task quicker? Does it make your task easier. No, it dont do any of those things, It wastes resources with no upside except "it looks pretty" for a few seconds.

My Winodws Server and mouse on the other hand eat up far more resources...but they have a point. They conceptualize my files in a way thats easier to understand. They allow for faster navigation and all around productivity. They HELP me, pointless animations dont.

Should I refuse to ever ride in a car or on a bus because I want to help the environment? You must weigh the coast and benefits of such a thing....And as far as I can tell these "pretty animations" have no benefits, only coast. Makes for an easy choice.

Corsec
Green Team

April 28, 2007 7:38 pm
max

max

Sky Pirate

1,167 posts

Corsec wrote:
rampancy wrote:
Corsec wrote:

Has everyone chosen to ignore the fact that Mac OS X has a "Secure Delete" option when emptying the trash that does this just as well if not better? It uses DoD (Department Of Defense) standards I believe. Another useless app that uses my resources to draw pretty pictures. Weeeeee

Using that logic, you should be using FreeBSD vis CLI. After all, why waste resources on something as useless as a pretty GUI?

Wow thats some solid logic....Oh wait, No its not. Apples and Oranges.

These graphic effects have no purpose. They are only for looks. Does that animation help productivity? Does it help you complete your task quicker? Does it make your task easier. No, it dont do any of those things, It wastes resources with no upside except "it looks pretty" for a few seconds.

My Winodws Server and mouse on the other hand eat up far more resources...but they have a point. They conceptualize my files in a way thats easier to understand. They allow for faster navigation and all around productivity. They HELP me, pointless animations dont.

Should I refuse to ever ride in a car or on a bus because I want to help the environment? You must weigh the coast and benefits of such a thing....And as far as I can tell these "pretty animations" have no benefits, only coast. Makes for an easy choice.

What if you don't want to secure-delete everything in the trash? you'd have to remove everything, put the one item you want securely deleted in, secure delete, then put everything else back. This app makes it way easier to secure delete a single file or folder. Not to mention the fact that it has other functions besides securely deleting things— it encrypts files in a sort of "safe." That is a very useful function, and one that is not available in the OS. (yes, you can make encrypted disk images, but they're a pain in the ass to make, and you have to mount and unmount them every time you want to access/hide the files.)

In short, this program makes it way more elegant and simple to encrypt and securely delete files and folders. And isn't that what the mac's all about, elegance and simplicity?

April 28, 2007 7:45 pm
Corsec

Corsec

Tinkerer

19 posts

max wrote:

What if you don't want to secure-delete everything in the trash? you'd have to remove everything, put the one item you want securely deleted in, secure delete, then put everything else back. This app makes it way easier to secure delete a single file or folder. Not to mention the fact that it has other functions besides securely deleting things— it encrypts files in a sort of "safe." That is a very useful function, and one that is not available in the OS. (yes, you can make encrypted disk images, but they're a pain in the ass to make, and you have to mount and unmount them every time you want to access/hide the files.)

In short, this program makes it way more elegant and simple to encrypt and securely delete files and folders. And isn't that what the mac's all about, elegance and simplicity?

Out of curiosity are you leaving things in your trash for extended periods of time? Generally I throw things out then empty the trash.

Yes, integrated encryption is great, but this secure delete is nothing to write home about.

Corsec
Green Team

April 28, 2007 7:59 pm
Photo678

Photo678

Automaton Tech

from quaint little town in PA
332 posts

Corsec wrote:
max wrote:

What if you don't want to secure-delete everything in the trash? you'd have to remove everything, put the one item you want securely deleted in, secure delete, then put everything else back. This app makes it way easier to secure delete a single file or folder. Not to mention the fact that it has other functions besides securely deleting things— it encrypts files in a sort of "safe." That is a very useful function, and one that is not available in the OS. (yes, you can make encrypted disk images, but they're a pain in the ass to make, and you have to mount and unmount them every time you want to access/hide the files.)

In short, this program makes it way more elegant and simple to encrypt and securely delete files and folders. And isn't that what the mac's all about, elegance and simplicity?

Out of curiosity are you leaving things in your trash for extended periods of time? Generally I throw things out then empty the trash.

Yes, integrated encryption is great, but this secure delete is nothing to write home about.

As a matter of fact, yes I do leave things in my trash for an extended period of time....what is trash today, might not be trash tomorrow...and as said, to secure delete one file in that bunch is a process.

You may think the app is useless, and to people who don't have a need to encrypt or protect files, it pretty much is.  BUt to those of us that need encryption on some level (i work with files that are my eyes only, and have been creating encrypted dmg's to store such files in) this app will be an integrated part of my workflow.

Further to what you are saying, disco shouldn't of been made, because you can already burn discs through osx (disco added a feature that was personally needed by me, indexing).....rapidweaver and sandvox are pointless because there is iweb, lightroom is a waste because there is iphoto, adium is a waste because there is ichat....what you fail to realize is that developers put time and effort into making apps that may utilize an already existing feature/app but do so in a way that appeals to people for ease of use.

Nobody is making you use this app...if you don't like, or fail to understand why it might be important for people, than keep your snide comments to yourself.

April 29, 2007 4:11 am
hazzav

hazzav

Automaton Tech

from The Land of Fish and Chips
119 posts

Well said Photo678.  Bravo old chap!

▞▞▞▞ blu blu bluE! ▚▚▚▚

April 29, 2007 7:10 am

auren

Urchin

3 posts

This is from the guys who wrote an average and supposed-to-be customizable iTunes controller app, then abandoned it completely, leaving their users with bad bugs and less features than any other iTunes controller app?  Boy do I have high hopes. roll

April 29, 2007 6:51 pm
tool462rules

tool462rules

Automaton Tech

from USA
125 posts

auren wrote:

This is from the guys who wrote an average and supposed-to-be customizable iTunes controller app, then abandoned it completely, leaving their users with bad bugs and less features than any other iTunes controller app?  Boy do I have high hopes. roll

I have the same sentiment, Menuet was half-baked.  I don't have high hopes for this app.

I'm there like Shareware
-Teen Girl Squad

April 30, 2007 9:59 am
johnred

johnred

Directorate

1,869 posts

Corsec wrote:

These graphic effects have no purpose. They are only for looks. Does that animation help productivity? Does it help you complete your task quicker? Does it make your task easier. No, it dont do any of those things, It wastes resources with no upside except "it looks pretty" for a few seconds.

If it puts a bit of a smile on your face, even for an instant then it does serve a purpose IMO. As time goes on, more and more software will become fun to use. And this is a good thing for the average user.

By your logic, we should be doing everything through the Terminal. If you're an IT professional then sure, but most Mac users aren't and enjoy good looking, functional software with a bit of eye candy thrown in.

John Casasanta
MacHeist Director
tap tap tap chief

April 30, 2007 11:22 pm
wph

wph

Sky Pirate

1,591 posts

johnred wrote:
Corsec wrote:

These graphic effects have no purpose. They are only for looks. Does that animation help productivity? Does it help you complete your task quicker? Does it make your task easier. No, it dont do any of those things, It wastes resources with no upside except "it looks pretty" for a few seconds.

If it puts a bit of a smile on your face, even for an instant then it does serve a purpose IMO. As time goes on, more and more software will become fun to use. And this is a good thing for the average user.

By your logic, we should be doing everything through the Terminal. If you're an IT professional then sure, but most Mac users aren't and enjoy good looking, functional software with a bit of eye candy thrown in.

Exactly, looking good is like a feature.

April 30, 2007 11:46 pm
Apcs11

Apcs11

Dirigible Captain

from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
2,577 posts

johnred wrote:

If it puts a bit of a smile on your face, even for an instant then it does serve a purpose.

Truest words ever. Those should be the bible for app devs.


By your logic, we should be doing everything through the Terminal. If you're an IT professional then sure, but most Mac users aren't and enjoy good looking, functional software with a bit of eye candy thrown in.

Again very very true.

Scary terminal options may be good for some, but for the target demographic, it is not.

Han shot first.

April 30, 2007 11:53 pm
jdcfsu

jdcfsu

Automaton Tech

268 posts

johnred wrote:
Corsec wrote:

These graphic effects have no purpose. They are only for looks. Does that animation help productivity? Does it help you complete your task quicker? Does it make your task easier. No, it dont do any of those things, It wastes resources with no upside except "it looks pretty" for a few seconds.

If it puts a bit of a smile on your face, even for an instant then it does serve a purpose IMO. As time goes on, more and more software will become fun to use. And this is a good thing for the average user.

By your logic, we should be doing everything through the Terminal. If you're an IT professional then sure, but most Mac users aren't and enjoy good looking, functional software with a bit of eye candy thrown in.

Exactly. Look at Disco. When I'm burning a disc I could have some program burn it in the background or I could have something that kills the time by smoking. Why not make the program fun to use and look good while the app as a whole serves a purpose? There is nothing wrong with that.

I like to pull heists.

May 1, 2007 12:10 am
MacHeist Forums » The Front » Safe Deposit Questions/Answers

Become an agent



Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)


As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

 

Login to MacHeist



As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?