Forums

*** SPOILER ALERT *** Mission 2

MacHeist Forums » The Backroom » *** SPOILER ALERT *** Mission 2
tabooism

tabooism

Tinkerer

from Ireland
45 posts

In case anyone's interested, the Voice Recording from the phone number is here.

I watch you fast asleep
All I fear means nothing

December 14, 2007 8:46 pm
Abbandono

Abbandono

Tinkerer

from Austin, TX
23 posts

Figures someone solved it already.  I was just starting to rearrange stuff in GIMP after furiously rushing to get it installed on my work PC.  Sadly, my day job doesn't involve any graphics work.

Cat Scratch Thiever  ;-)
Please help your fellow Heisters earn an extra app!  Visit the referral thread HERE and follow the directions in Danilkol's master list on or near the last page.

December 14, 2007 8:46 pm
December 14, 2007 8:47 pm
charlyelamo

charlyelamo

Gearhead

from Barcelona
84 posts

you could at leat give credit to the person who scanned those pics... before just linking'em

December 14, 2007 8:48 pm

unin5pired

Tinkerer

17 posts

cjr wrote:

56 stark street is in an area called "wilkes-barre" in Pennsylvania.

And in Plains PA, and in a little town outside Pittsburgh ...  and probably about 100 others in PA alone.

wkoffel

wkoffel

Tinkerer

47 posts

First paragraph reads:

Walk 2 blocks West and take a left.  Walk a...
sign on your left.  Make note of the lette...
South and turn right at the next intersec...
up. What is the first letter of the name o...
West one more block.  Turn North and go...

Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

That cut doesn't look completely right...

Website | Twitter

archipenko

archipenko

Big Game Hunter

769 posts

but it  looks f**ked up still

rocks & socks

December 14, 2007 8:49 pm
mwschmeer

mwschmeer

Tinkerer

from Kansas
49 posts

um, yeah, that image link. . .the message is off.

----
The pen is mightier than the sword . . . unless the pen is a BIC.

Adunlevie

Tinkerer

12 posts

Warbrain wrote:

ya seriously.  thats like half done, isnt it?

erniepc12

erniepc12

Automaton Tech

from Just North of New York
343 posts

That it's all of it, is it?

http://ladder42.com/  Volunteer Firefighter for over 17 years.
Former Macheist team: "Green Monkeys™ "

tabooism

tabooism

Tinkerer

from Ireland
45 posts

Okay, it's all printed out and solved and it STILL gives me a headache.  *pops a Hedex*

... so, someone's gotta go and follow these instructions?  Or can we GoogleMap it from here, guys?  big_smile  Who's good at directions?

I watch you fast asleep
All I fear means nothing

wkoffel

wkoffel

Tinkerer

47 posts

Warbrain wrote:

Yeah, looks like they haven't done page 2, and some of the sections still need to be flipped right-side-up.

Still, looks like a treasure hunt for letters as clues.  Presumably starting from one of the 56 Stark St., addresses, so we should probably continue to catalog those, and figure out who lives near them.

December 14, 2007 8:50 pm

cjr

Urchin

3 posts

unin5pired wrote:
cjr wrote:

56 stark street is in an area called "wilkes-barre" in Pennsylvania.

And in Plains PA, and in a little town outside Pittsburgh ...  and probably about 100 others in PA alone.

Of course. "Wilkes-Barre" rings a bell for some reason though.

December 14, 2007 8:50 pm
vekven

vekven

Tinkerer

43 posts

It looks like there's more than one message in there, or more than one way to weave it to get the complete message.

Anything is possible, very few things actually happen.

December 14, 2007 8:51 pm
wkoffel

wkoffel

Tinkerer

47 posts

December 14, 2007 8:52 pm
aohoski

aohoski

Urchin

5 posts

We might be able to take advantage of Street View in Google maps ... since we need to actually read the street signs on this one.

December 14, 2007 8:52 pm
archipenko

archipenko

Big Game Hunter

769 posts

AdWilk posted this on IRC:

AdWilk: http://www.mcfluffit.com/macheist/puzzle_p1.zip << first page cut into squares and all text turned right way up

rocks & socks

December 14, 2007 8:53 pm
gameguy3001

gameguy3001

Automaton Tech

from "Toontown" - Canada
331 posts

http://www.is-1337.net/files/puzzle2.jpg

By: kauwgomballen

Orange you glad I didn't make a pun?

tekn04

tekn04

Automaton Tech

207 posts

guys I've unscrambled pdfs, uploading now, yes you've got to weave

charlyelamo

charlyelamo

Gearhead

from Barcelona
84 posts

21:53:27] <timhedges> text from the first complete lin :- walk 2 blocks west and take a left. Walk down half a block and look for the yellow sign on your left. Make a note of the letter that its name ends with. Continue South and turn right at the next intersection Walk forward two blocks and look

December 14, 2007 8:55 pm
tekn04

tekn04

Automaton Tech

207 posts

proof of concept - begins with

Walk 2 blocks West and take a left. Walk down half a block and look for the yellow sign on your left. Make note of the letter that its name ends with. 

Continue South and turn right at the next intersection walk forward two blocks and look up. What is the first letter of the name of that large purple sea creature?

Head West one more block. Turn North and go just past the first intersection, than look to the left. Would you forge the river or chuck your wagon and cross? Note the first letter of the second word.

December 14, 2007 8:56 pm
charlyelamo

charlyelamo

Gearhead

from Barcelona
84 posts

[21:55:07] <Xel> "Walk 2 blocks West and take a left. Walk down half a block and look for the yellow sign on your left. Make note of the letter that its name ends with. Continue South and turn right at the enxt intersection. Walk forward two blocks and look up. What is the first letter of the name"

December 14, 2007 8:56 pm
Corvana

Corvana

Tinkerer

from Greater Bostonia, MA
44 posts

Feh.  Try unscrambling the pieces first.  Give me a minute to find my camera, and I'll have the real thing up.

Ein jeder Engel ist schrecklich.

December 14, 2007 8:57 pm

Adunlevie

Tinkerer

12 posts

we still don't have a city. 

Back to the phone number, which was the one that yielded us drivingmetothink.com ?

December 14, 2007 8:58 pm
guitarjockey

guitarjockey

Urchin

from Oregon
7 posts

the phone number is for portland oregon.

December 14, 2007 8:58 pm
tabooism

tabooism

Tinkerer

from Ireland
45 posts

Adunlevie wrote:

we still don't have a city. 

Back to the phone number, which was the one that yielded us drivingmetothink.com ?

503 608 4357

I watch you fast asleep
All I fear means nothing

December 14, 2007 8:59 pm
wkoffel

wkoffel

Tinkerer

47 posts

Great work on the weaving folks!  Kudos to the folks following along on IRC, too.  I would've spent too long working the grid, and not enough time weaving. :-)

Philopseudes

Urchin

7 posts

Okay, I'm pretty sure this is correct, but please, please, verify it and get the second page before you go out on my directions.

First page:

Walk 2 blocks west and take a left.  Walk down half a block and look for the yellow
sign on your left.  Make note of the letter that its name ends with.*  Continue
South and turn right at the next intersection.  Walk forward two blocks and look
up.  What is the first letter of the name of that large purple sea creature?  *Head
West one more block.  Turn North and go just past the first intersection, than look

(the next lines are upside down, meaning the word "north" is directly under that last "look" but upside down, I'm reversing it to correct, I hope)

to the end of the 800 block and look to your left.  Chances are they are okay with their president.  Note the 4th letter in the second word of the name. * Continue
North.  Take a left at the third intersection.  Take a right at the cleaners on the the

(back to right side up)

there is a place that has more flowing out of it than sound.  Note the second to the
last letter in its name.  * Keep heading West until you hit 11th, then turn left.  Keep going South until things start to seem a bit fishy, then turn left.  Walk one block
and look for the purple awning on the right.  Note the second to last letter in
its name.  * Continue East and take a left at the third intersection.  Make your way

(upside down block again)

to the left.  Would you forget the river or chuck your wagon and cross?  Note the
first letter of the second word.  * Keep heading North and take a left when you apss the gas station.  Head West until you hit the 900block.  At the end of a block

(rightside up)
corner, turn so you are heading North.  Keep going North until you see a stop sign.
Look at the last store on the block on your right.  What is the last letter in its name?
* Head North and turn East at the 5th intersection.  Go forward 2 blocks.  Don't
panic, w're almost there. Continue going forward, watching the right side of the
road.  Write down the last letter of the store where bees can thrive.

(edited, thanks to help from IRC: mfwit)

acme

acme

Tinkerer

from seattle
25 posts

there's a 56 SE Stark St. in Portland, OR. 

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=56+SE+Sta … p&ct=image

we might be able to do this with street view in google maps...

"The greatest barrier to creativity is a lack of boundaries." -Brian Boyko

December 14, 2007 9:00 pm

unin5pired

Tinkerer

17 posts

guitarjockey wrote:

the phone number is for portland oregon.

Ok, http://maps.google.com/maps?q=56+SE+Sta … p&ct=title

December 14, 2007 9:01 pm
wkoffel

wkoffel

Tinkerer

47 posts

So we need to

1. Figure out what city we are talking about, assuming we start at 56 Stark St.
2. Get someone to bring a camera and EVDO card along to post pictures of each step, so we can live vicariously on the forums!

erniepc12

erniepc12

Automaton Tech

from Just North of New York
343 posts

large purple sea creature?

Chances are they are okay with their president?

A store where bees can thrive?

http://ladder42.com/  Volunteer Firefighter for over 17 years.
Former Macheist team: "Green Monkeys™ "

wkoffel

wkoffel

Tinkerer

47 posts

acme wrote:

there's a 56 SE Stark St. in Portland, OR. 

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=56+SE+Sta … p&ct=image

we might be able to do this with street view in google maps...

Two blocks west from that address puts you in the middle of the river, though.  Assuming the directions are in order starting with that instruction.

December 14, 2007 9:02 pm
archipenko

archipenko

Big Game Hunter

769 posts

biscuit found it:

the sign:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&g … 1806594609

rocks & socks

December 14, 2007 9:03 pm
codetiki

codetiki

Urchin

from Florida
4 posts

Is anyone else concerned about how much info you can find out using google? ;-)

December 14, 2007 9:05 pm
wkoffel

wkoffel

Tinkerer

47 posts

archipenko wrote:

biscuit found it:

the sign:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&g … 1806594609

Yup, we're on the right track.

The purple animal is an Octopus.

December 14, 2007 9:05 pm
gypsyheart

gypsyheart

Urchin

from Tarzana, CA
6 posts

Philopseudes wrote:

Okay, I'm pretty sure this is correct, but please, please, verify it and get the second page before you go out on my directions.

ONLY going by what you posted, your first page seems to "grammatically" fit better in this order:

Walk 2 blocks west and take a left.  Walk down half a block and look for the yellow
South and turn right at the next intersection.  Walk forward two blocks and look
up.  What is the first letter of the name of that large purple sea creature?  *Head
West one more block.  Turn North and go just past the first intersection, than look

to the left.  Would you forget the river or chuck your wagon and cross?  Note the
first letter of the second word.  * Keep heading North and take a left when you pass the gas station.  Head West until you hit the 90 block.  At the end of a block

there is a place that has more flowing out of it than sound.  Note the second to the
last letter in its name.  * Keep heading West until you hit 11th, then turn left.  Keep going South until things start to seem a bit fishy, then turn left.  Walk one block
and look for the purple awning on the right.  Note the second to last letter in
its name.  * Continue East and take a left at the third intersection.  Make your way

to the end of the 800 block and look to your left.  Chances are they are okay with their president.  Note the 4th letter in the second word of the name. * Continue
North.  Take a left at the third intersection.  Take a right at the cleaners on the the

corner, turn so you are heading North.  Keep going North until you see a stop sign.
Look at the last store on the block on your right.  What is the last letter in its name?
* Head North and turn East at the 5th intersection.  Go forward 2 blocks.  Don't
panic, w're almost there. Continue going forward, watching the right side of the

New to MacHeist...

December 14, 2007 9:07 pm
stdoonline

stdoonline

Urchin

6 posts

wkoffel wrote:

So we need to

2. Get someone to bring a camera and EVDO card along to post pictures of each step, so we can live vicariously on the forums!

I thought Google hosts a service where you can see street views. wink

Google Street View

What's this?

December 14, 2007 9:08 pm

Philopseudes

Urchin

7 posts

gypsyheart wrote:
Philopseudes wrote:

ONLY going by what you posted, your first page seems to "grammatically" fit better in this order:

Definitely, thanks.

December 14, 2007 9:09 pm

Yaris

Urchin

1 posts

Well
DTMF code: 503 608 4357
503 - Oregon
608 - Beaverton
In Beaverton we have Stark St.
Full address: 53 SW Stark St, Beaverton, Washington, Oregon 97006, United States
If we converted full number 503 608 4357 to words we have: 503 608 help
Perhaps: Oregon Beaverton Help?

charlyelamo

charlyelamo

Gearhead

from Barcelona
84 posts

stdoonline wrote:
wkoffel wrote:

So we need to

I thought Google hosts a service where you can see street views. wink

Google Street View

lol:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

yomatiase

Urchin

4 posts

etchevarne.net/downloads/puzzle.gif

December 14, 2007 9:10 pm
wkoffel

wkoffel

Tinkerer

47 posts

Yellow Sign - ?
Purple Creature - (O)ctopus
Cross the River - (T)rail - Oregon Trail Bldg.

December 14, 2007 9:10 pm
Corvana

Corvana

Tinkerer

from Greater Bostonia, MA
44 posts

Philopseudes - Almost, but not quite.  If you get the background right, you don't have to flip anything.

Message reads:

to the left.  Would you forge the river or chuck your wagon and cross?  Note the
first letter of the second word.  (A/N: an Oregon Trail reference, haha)  * Keep heading North and take a left when you pass the gas station.  Head West until you hit the 90 block.  At the end of a block there is a place that has more flowing out of it than sound.  Note the second to the last letter in its name.  * Keep heading West until you hit 11th, then turn left.  Keep going South until things start to seem a bit fishy, then turn left.  Walk one block and look for the purple awning on the right.  Note the second  to last letter in its name.  * Continue East and take a left at the third intersection.  Make your way to the end of the 800 block and look to your left.  Chances are they are okay with their president.  Note the 4th letter in the second word of the name. * ContinueNorth.  Take a left at the third intersection.  Take a right at the cleaners on the corner, turn so you are heading North.  Keep going North until you see a stop sign.
panic, we're almost there. Continue going forward, watching the right side of the

No upside downs at all.  Also, that Oregon Trail reference (ford the river or float your wagon) do you think that that's a hint that we really should be looking in Oregon?

Ein jeder Engel ist schrecklich.

December 14, 2007 9:11 pm
badams

badams

Gearhead

from Norman, OK
50 posts

mfwit on IRC is finishing the final transcription and "reidab" is going out in the city - Portland, OR - to try and hunt down the clues

"Millions of men have lived to fight, build palaces and boundaries, shape destinies and societies; but the compelling force of all times has been the force of originality and creation profoundly affecting the roots of human spirit." -Ansel Adams
Find me on: Twitter | Virb

December 14, 2007 9:12 pm
wkoffel

wkoffel

Tinkerer

47 posts

badams wrote:

mfwit on IRC is finishing the final transcription and "reidab" is going out in the city - Portland, OR - to try and hunt down the clues

I'm on Google Street View, and it seems like you can do it all from there, but it takes some patience.  Of course, walking miles only takes a moment, which is a nice perk when we all seem to be in such a hurry to solve these! :-)

December 14, 2007 9:15 pm
tintin220

tintin220

Automaton Tech

135 posts

so, thus far... E, O, T?

brianh431

brianh431

Automaton Tech

from Phoenix, AZ
147 posts

just follow them in google streetview
portland is the address

MacHeist Forums » The Backroom » *** SPOILER ALERT *** Mission 2

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?