Pandora Stand-Alone App

MacHeist Forums » The Lounge » Pandora Stand-Alone App
ruel

ruel

Tinkerer

from Texas
34 posts

Hey all,

I am looking for a stand-alone application to play music from Pandora. I had looked at PandoraJam, which works quite well; however, I feel like I am paying $15 for the ability to record music from Pandora, which I don't feel quite right doing.

I also found PandoraBoy which works just fine except for one thing that bothers me endlessly, the fact that I cannot close the app's window with closing the application altogether. However I do not think bothered by this enough to warrant paying for a $15 application.

So two questions:
Is there a way to allow PandoraBoy's window to close without the entire application quiting?
Are there other options available?

-Ruel

January 1, 2008 10:44 pm
artist-illustrator.net

artist-illustrator.net

Dirigible Captain

from Manchester, UK
3,027 posts

I use PandoraMan.

Nothing too special about this little app, just a small cocoa app that runs the Pandora mini player using WebKit. all the functions of Pandora outside yor browser.

I have changed the icon though, that square speaker does nothing for me.

oh, and if having the window open is a problem for you, yo can always just hide it

I'm feeling old

January 2, 2008 11:59 am
definetheline

definetheline

Sky Pirate

from Canada
1,512 posts

I would love Pandora....

...if they didn't block me in Canada. And I'm too lazy to use a proxy.

the greatest blog known to mankind / twitter / flickr

January 2, 2008 4:06 pm
erniepc12

erniepc12

Automaton Tech

from Just North of New York
343 posts

What is Pandora, my work is blocking the site...

http://ladder42.com/  Volunteer Firefighter for over 17 years.
Former Macheist team: "Green Monkeys™ "

January 2, 2008 4:12 pm
jer2665

jer2665

Big Game Hunter

from South Windsor, CT
800 posts

you enter an artist or song you like, and it creates a "radio station" that plays songs that have the same characteristics, great way to learn about new bands.

My twitter

January 2, 2008 4:44 pm
shadownight

shadownight

Sky Pirate

from Montreal, Canada
1,567 posts

definetheline wrote:

I would love Pandora....

...if they didn't block me in Canada. And I'm too lazy to use a proxy.

Yeah, that really sucks. sad

Back on my two feet

January 2, 2008 9:37 pm
ruel

ruel

Tinkerer

from Texas
34 posts

I wonder why the only places Pandora services are UK and US, I don't see why they couldn't expand.

artist-illustrator.net wrote:

I use PandoraMan.

Nothing too special about this little app, just a small cocoa app that runs the Pandora mini player using WebKit. all the functions of Pandora outside yor browser.

I have changed the icon though, that square speaker does nothing for me.

oh, and if having the window open is a problem for you, yo can always just hide it

A couple of questions:

How do you change an application's icon?
Is there someway to hide an application's window without taking a trip down to the dock; a shortcut to hide windows would be nice.

January 3, 2008 5:46 am
artist-illustrator.net

artist-illustrator.net

Dirigible Captain

from Manchester, UK
3,027 posts

ruel wrote:

I wonder why the only places Pandora services are UK and US, I don't see why they couldn't expand.

How do you change an application's icon?

Is there someway to hide an application's window without taking a trip down to the dock; a shortcut to hide windows would be nice.

number one = coppyright & licence issues, etc

number two = heres a quick tutorial

number three = press command + H whilest the app is open to hide its window(s), this will work in most OS X programs (exeptions include BIG programs that use the command + H shortcut for something else, i.e Adobe software)

number four = Google is your friend smile

I'm feeling old

January 3, 2008 9:08 am
artist-illustrator.net

artist-illustrator.net

Dirigible Captain

from Manchester, UK
3,027 posts

just got an email from Tim Westergren (Pandora founder)

Tim Westergren wrote:

hi, it's Tim,

This is an email I hoped I would never have to send.

As you probably know, in July of 2007 we had to block usage of Pandora outside the U.S. because of the lack of a viable license structure for Internet radio streaming in other countries. It was a terrible day. We did however hold out some hope that a solution might exist for the UK, so we left it unblocked as we worked diligently with the rights organizations to negotiate an economically workable license fee. After over a year of trying, this has proved impossible. Both the PPL (which represents the record labels) and the MCPS/PRS Alliance (which represents music publishers) have demanded per track performance minima rates which are far too high to allow ad supported radio to operate and so, hugely disappointing and depressing to us as it is, we have to block the last territory outside of the US.

Based upon the IP address from which you recently visited Pandora, it appears that you are listening from the UK. If you are, in fact, listening from the US, and are denied access from Pandora on or after January 15th please contact Pandora Support: pandora-support@pandora.com.

It continues to astound me and the rest of the team here that the industry is not working more constructively to support the growth of services that introduce listeners to new music and that are totally supportive of paying fair royalties to the creators of music. I don't often say such things, but the course being charted by the labels and publishers and their representative organizations is nothing short of disastrous for artists whom they purport to represent - and by that I mean both well known and indie artists. The only consequence of failing to support companies like Pandora that are attempting to build a sustainable radio business for the future will be the continued explosion of piracy, the continued constriction of opportunities for working musicians, and a worsening drought of new music for fans. As a former working musician myself, I find it very troubling.

We have been told to sign these totally unworkable license rates or switch off, non-negotiable...so that is what we are doing. Streaming illegally is just not in our DNA, and we have to take the threats of legal action seriously. Lest you think this is solely an international problem, you should know that we are also fighting for our survival here in the US, in the face of a crushing increase in web radio royalty rates, which if left unchanged, would mean the end of Pandora.

We know what an epicenter of musical creativity and fan support the UK has always been, which makes the prospect of not being able to launch there and having to block our first listeners all the more upsetting for us.

We know there is a lot of support from listeners and artists in the UK for Pandora and remain hopeful that at some point we'll get beyond this. We're going to keep fighting for a fair and workable rate structure that will allow us to bring Pandora back to you. We'll be sure to let you know if Pandora becomes available in the UK. There may well come a day when we need to make a direct appeal for your support to move for governmental intervention as we have in the US. In the meantime, we have no choice but to turn off service to the UK.

Pandora will stop streaming to the UK as of January 15th, 2008.

Again, on behalf of all of us at Pandora, I'm very, very sorry.

tim_signature.jpg

-Tim Westergren
(Pandora founder)

Bummer! sad

I'm feeling old

January 8, 2008 7:20 pm
rahein

rahein

Tinkerer

from London
28 posts

artist-illustrator.net wrote:

just got an email from Tim Westergren (Pandora founder)
...Letter deleted...
Bummer! sad

Me too. Copyright rears its head again. Being in the biz, well at least the edges, I can understand a little about the publishers position. They get pressure put on them by the radio folks who do pay the fees and play the commercials.

Shame though, it is a great concept.

Rick

Macintsoh - drinking upstream from the herd

January 8, 2008 7:48 pm
LS

LS

Automaton Tech

142 posts

A dying industry clutching at straws. Give it a few more years and more and more artists will self promote/ publish using tools like Pandora and Last.FM.

So long, and Thanks for all the fish!

January 8, 2008 9:09 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Lounge » Pandora Stand-Alone App

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?