Forums

Fortune Teller from Behind the Painting

MacHeist Forums » The Backroom » Fortune Teller from Behind the Painting
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

Did anybody else notice that the Roman Numerals are wrong?

If I'm reading this right, it looks like these are the numbers (as they appear right next to one of the inner words)

and - I
balls - II
of - III
bats - IV
racks - V
for - VI
pinions - IIV (what?)
with - IIIV (for serious??)

I think it could just be a mistake, but it's worth noting. I think it's supposed to be

pinions - VII
with - VIII

because these things are generally numbered 1-8.

Also, as the WoW-crack character that gave this info was a Preist, apparently, he'd have been wielding a Mace... one of our staring points on this device.

Thoughts?

PM me | Twitter

January 5, 2008 1:46 pm
oceansage

oceansage

Tinkerer

from Planet Earth
14 posts

Does the picture have any meaning or am I reading into this to much?

“When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute - and it’s longer than any hour. That’s relativity.” –Albert Einstein

January 5, 2008 1:57 pm
rampancy

rampancy

from Denial.
3,889 posts

You're talking about the Magritte painting?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Son_of_Man

It's a really cool painting; I've got a poster of it on my wall. Here's what Magritte said about it: "Everything we see hides another thing, we always want to see what is hidden by what we see, but it is impossible. Humans hide their secrets too well...."

It was used as a clue for the latest crop of loot for the last "mini-heist".

Marathon Forever.
AppShelf: MacHeist 3 Loot
AppShelf: nanoBundle 1
Check Reciept Page for nanoBundle 2 AppShelf Files.

January 5, 2008 2:00 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

Of course - but it leads to two things - a bag of loot, and what I remember calling a "fortune teller" from elemetary days. That fortune teller has words and roman numerals on it - two of which are incorrectly formed, in one way or another.

PM me | Twitter

January 5, 2008 2:02 pm
macfoo

macfoo

Automaton Tech

from Hell in a handbasket.
266 posts

If you look at a mirror image of the number set though you get 1-8 in roman numerals..

I = I = 1 = and
II = II = 2 = balls
VI = IV = 4 = for
IIV = VII = 7 = pinions
III = III = 3 = of
IV = VI = 6 = bats
IIIV = VIII = 8 = with
V = V = 5 - racks

Join me in finding a CURE!!!
Relay For Life

January 5, 2008 2:20 pm
oceansage

oceansage

Tinkerer

from Planet Earth
14 posts

I was refering to the picture in the center of the fortune teller. Other than the boob in the forhead of the character on the right and the letter H on the left character I can't see any meaning to the picture... Ha Ha we always want to see what is hidden by what we see. ...Been up way to long tonight....

“When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute - and it’s longer than any hour. That’s relativity.” –Albert Einstein

January 5, 2008 2:24 pm
CrazyMango

CrazyMango

Tinkerer

32 posts

oceansage wrote:

I was refering to the picture in the center of the fortune teller. Other than the boob in the forhead of the character on the right and the letter H on the left character I can't see any meaning to the picture... Ha Ha we always want to see what is hidden by what we see. ...Been up way to long tonight....

Someone on IRC last night (sorry I can't remember who) mentioned that the faces looked like images out of this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Face-Francois-Jea … 3906700992

Big thanks to whoever purchased via my link! You Rock!

January 5, 2008 2:40 pm

Peedy23

Urchin

2 posts

If we can make a sentence with those words, we would get a number. I'm not good enough in english to manage that, but you guys are.

For an example:

For balls and bats with racks of pinions.

That sentence would make:

4 2 1 6 8 5 3 7

I don't know if this is right... Just an idea that popped into my head...

Keep up the good work

January 5, 2008 2:43 pm

cplater

Urchin

9 posts

This needs to be folded into a fortune teller game (I can't post a link, but google it, and you'll find it)

January 5, 2008 2:46 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

We're aware of that. Thank you. However, that won't resolve the issue of the numbers being reversed. It also, as of yet, hasn't resulted in anything useful.

PM me | Twitter

January 5, 2008 2:52 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

Also, the words on the inside of the fortune teller - bats and balls go together (like in baseball) and racks and pinions go together, as in rack & pinion. Used to be how I made all of my lego cars steerable smile

PM me | Twitter

January 5, 2008 3:00 pm
oceansage

oceansage

Tinkerer

from Planet Earth
14 posts

In the clue from the cell phone it stated that 4 2 7 6 will tell you all you need to know. I know that it led to a location on WoW but the numbers on the FT with the exception of 2 are the ones backwards. Any thoughts?

January 5, 2008 3:03 pm
CrazyMango

CrazyMango

Tinkerer

32 posts

oceansage wrote:

In the clue from the cell phone it stated that 4 2 7 6 will tell you all you need to know. I know that it led to a location on WoW but the numbers on the FT with the exception of 2 are the ones backwards. Any thoughts?

4276 would be: for balls pinions bats?

January 5, 2008 3:10 pm
step

step

Sky Pirate

from Georgia, US
1,787 posts

the qoute sort of reminds me of the da Vinci code, especially with the painting reference. I can't do anything more with it until I get on a regular computer, though.

Whistle while you work.  Patience is key.

January 5, 2008 3:17 pm
CrazyMango

CrazyMango

Tinkerer

32 posts

Peedy23 wrote:

For balls and bats with racks of pinions.

Trying to relate that back to the pdf, that sentence sounds like it could be a description of a Mace.

January 5, 2008 3:38 pm
Pace

Pace

Automaton Tech

from Brussels, Belgium
311 posts

Given that the VII & VIII are mirrored, and that the rest might therefore also be mirrored, I took a look at what 4276 would be with mirrored words… but no luck. The only thing that might have any meaning backwards is VII: "snoinip", "snow in IP" big_smile
So, no.
But that said, do you think printing it out and actually making it into a fortune-teller, but face down (given the fact it's mirrored), and then trying to use the "4276" idea might lead to something?

Peter "Pace" Craddock

Arpia.be - twaddle, music, novels and Arpia stuff.

January 5, 2008 4:36 pm
Calgary

Calgary

Urchin

from Canada
9 posts

CrazyMango wrote:

4276 would be: for balls pinions bats?

No, 42 76 are the coordinates for the location in World of Warcraft that eventually led to the clue to move the painting:

macfoo wrote:

42 76 - coords in StormWind City that are in Tailoring shop (Mage Quarter)

January 5, 2008 4:58 pm

erasure

Tinkerer

from New York
31 posts

Is it possible that the characters in the center are from Through the Looking Glass? I haven't read it...

January 5, 2008 5:42 pm
macfoo

macfoo

Automaton Tech

266 posts

I'm not up on my Roman mythology...

the bow was a symbol of Diana (Huntress)
and the hammer is a symbol of Vulcan

dont know if it means anything

Relay For Life

January 5, 2008 7:15 pm
Calgary

Calgary

Urchin

from Canada
9 posts

erasure wrote:

Is it possible that the characters in the center are from Through the Looking Glass? I haven't read it...

Hmmm.... They don't look like any characters I recall from Through the Looking Glass, although it's been a while since I read it.

January 5, 2008 7:52 pm
zelsyus

zelsyus

Gearhead

from de
81 posts

I've printed and folded the pdf file...
Folded it a lot.

Did come to nothing really important...

http://www.lebedienacht.de/mh_2/IMG_9275.jpg

If I sump up the four sides with the roman numbers i get the following:

http://www.novaroma.org/via_romana/numbers.html

IIIIVIIIVVIIIVIIIV -> 30 -> XXX
IIIVIIIVIIIIVIIIVV -> 30 -> XXX
IIIVVIIIVIIIVIIIIV -> 30 -> XXX
VIIIVIIIIVIIIVVIII -> 32 -> XXXII

And:

IIIIV   ->   7
IIIVV  ->  11
III      ->   3
VIIIV  ->  11

----------------
          =  32 (again...)

To try something with the words I get dizzy...

I don't now if something of this helps or maybe some of you get inspired.
I give up and go to a live concert now.

See you.

January 5, 2008 8:05 pm
DRC

DRC

Tinkerer

from Utopia, UT
34 posts

Usually those things need a question or two with answers before the final answer is selected.

Twitter
last.fm

January 5, 2008 9:42 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

DRC wrote:

Usually those things need a question or two with answers before the final answer is selected.

Exactly. We need to figure out what the questions are, or at the very least, the answers smile

PM me | Twitter

January 5, 2008 10:21 pm
l0k1

l0k1

Automaton Tech

from oregon
274 posts

jpdyson wrote:
DRC wrote:

Exactly. We need to figure out what the questions are, or at the very least, the answers smile

and, possibly, the correct orientation in which to hold the "fortune teller" (or cootie catcher: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cootie_catcher) and which direction to open it first  ...

btw, the photo provided by zelsyus doesn't look like what i ended up with when i folded the pdf.  i've got the words (sword, bow, hammer, mace) on the outside, the roman numerals on the inside flaps and then, of course, under those flaps are the other words (balls, of, pinions, for, balls, and, racks, with).

..::01101001::01101101::01110100::..

January 5, 2008 10:37 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

l0k1 wrote:
jpdyson wrote:
DRC wrote:

and, possibly, the correct orientation in which to hold the "fortune teller" (or cootie catcher: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cootie_catcher) and which direction to open it first  ...

btw, the photo provided by zelsyus doesn't look like what i ended up with when i folded the pdf.  i've got the words (sword, bow, hammer, mace) on the outside, the roman numerals on the inside flaps and then, of course, under those flaps are the other words (balls, of, pinions, for, balls, and, racks, with).

Sounds like you did it right - the picture above is not the right way to fold it.

PM me | Twitter

January 5, 2008 10:55 pm
oceansage

oceansage

Tinkerer

from Planet Earth
14 posts

JP is right on track. I folded the FT/CC in the same manner with the words on the outside. Can't believe that I admitting that I'm nerd enough to remember how to fold one of these.

There is a correct way to orientate it and a direction to start the count after selecting the word (which we are assuming is "MACE") But where are the clues for the continuation of the sequence?

January 5, 2008 11:03 pm

erasure

Tinkerer

from New York
31 posts

FWIW, the words on the outside are 3,4,5, and 6 letters long. No 7 or 8, which are the backward numbers...

January 5, 2008 11:13 pm
mjweb

mjweb

Sky Pirate

from coast2coast
2,343 posts

These remind me on Intel Pentium models

IIIIV   ->   7
IIIVV  ->  11
III      ->   3
VIIIV  ->  11

www.mjweber.com | Flickr

January 5, 2008 11:14 pm
oceansage

oceansage

Tinkerer

from Planet Earth
14 posts

I don't know if it is just the font it's written in but one thing that I noticed is that in the word "ANd" the d in the only letter in all the words that is in lowercase (not mini-capitols) with the exception of the i's. "Point to Ponder"

January 5, 2008 11:17 pm

erasure

Tinkerer

from New York
31 posts

I suspect that's a result of the font used... the "k" in Racks would be considered lowercase too, because of the tall ascender. The "S"s are also oddly lowered below the baseline -- again, I think it's just the font.

Upon looking at all of the letters again, it's pretty clear that it's just the font -- initial caps are full height; everything else is either a small cap or has a tall ascender. The "S"s are just weird.

January 5, 2008 11:19 pm
oceansage

oceansage

Tinkerer

from Planet Earth
14 posts

The character on the right in the picture in the FT does resemble the lower arm of a  rack and pinion steering assembly.

January 5, 2008 11:26 pm
cenunez

cenunez

Gearhead

from Pennsylvania
56 posts

Has anyone with graphic software skills tried mirroring and rotating the segments so that they are correct - similar to what was needed in a previous heist (the message that was weaved)? Would this reveal something?

Think Globally; Act Locally

January 5, 2008 11:33 pm

erasure

Tinkerer

from New York
31 posts

Hmm. Just flipped the panels containing IIV and IIIV in Photoshop, which renders the words backwards... printing it out to see what it looks like when folded.

January 5, 2008 11:40 pm
l0k1

l0k1

Automaton Tech

from oregon
274 posts

oceansage wrote:

There is a correct way to orientate it and a direction to start the count after selecting the word (which we are assuming is "MACE") But where are the clues for the continuation of the sequence?

do we, at this point, know the correct orientation/start direction?  if not, i guess it's really maximally 8 possible combinations, so perhaps proceeding by trial and error is not out of the question ... but without more clues, i'm not sure how much trial and error would help.

January 5, 2008 11:45 pm
dmdzine

dmdzine

Big Game Hunter

from 127.0.0.1
638 posts

oceansage wrote:

I don't know if it is just the font it's written in but one thing that I noticed is that in the word "ANd" the d in the only letter in all the words that is in lowercase (not mini-capitols) with the exception of the i's. "Point to Ponder"

It's just the font used

Website | Flickr | Twitter | Last.fm

January 5, 2008 11:46 pm

erasure

Tinkerer

from New York
31 posts

I don't think flipping the panels helped much. Now VI is backwards and we have two IVs. I could flip everything, but then all the words are backwards and I think we just have a mirror image of the original, which we could get just by looking in a mirror (or looking glass).

January 5, 2008 11:47 pm
macfoo

macfoo

Automaton Tech

266 posts

I mirrored the entire thing and printed it out - granted the words are backwards but you end up with
1-4 around the center in clockwise position when its open in one orientation and
5-8 in clockwise position when it open in the other....

Relay For Life

January 5, 2008 11:52 pm
chrisl

chrisl

Urchin

9 posts

I think all of the numbers are supposed to be backwards, poss' a 'reverse' clue?

I came, I saw, I realised it's all too much effort, I had a nap.

January 6, 2008 12:24 am
DRC

DRC

Tinkerer

from Utopia, UT
34 posts

I'm out of printer ink. I feel so left out. LOL

I thought the photo didn't look right, but haven't done one of those fortune tellers in ages.

Can you take a snapshot and post the photo of it so we can see?

Twitter
last.fm

January 6, 2008 12:30 am
CraftGeek

CraftGeek

Automaton Tech

from Northern Colorado, USA, Earth
246 posts

l0k1 wrote:
oceansage wrote:

do we, at this point, know the correct orientation/start direction?  if not, i guess it's really maximally 8 possible combinations, so perhaps proceeding by trial and error is not out of the question ... but without more clues, i'm not sure how much trial and error would help.

Lacking any other hints to the contrary, I would orient it so the center picture is upright.

Don't anthropomorphize computers. They HATE that.

January 6, 2008 1:49 am
l0k1

l0k1

Automaton Tech

from oregon
274 posts

CraftGeek wrote:

Lacking any other hints to the contrary, I would orient it so the center picture is upright.

that sounds like the right idea.  good thinking.

January 6, 2008 2:20 am
oceansage

oceansage

Tinkerer

from Planet Earth
14 posts

Okay. So we orientate it north ,so to speak, and then work it four times (MACE = 4) What is the next clue for picking a number?

January 6, 2008 2:36 am
mjweb

mjweb

Sky Pirate

from coast2coast
2,343 posts

6 - 3
7 - 4
2 - 1
5 - 8

Is how the numbers line up when you fold the Origami. Don't know what it means but the number are the only random component of the thing pdf when its folded.
Sword - Bow - Hammer - Mace line up in this order.
"of pinions with balls and racks with bats" reads as it does on the pdf.

www.mjweber.com | Flickr

January 6, 2008 3:13 am
oceansage

oceansage

Tinkerer

from Planet Earth
14 posts

Here is a link on how to fold the Fortune Teller:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/306045/ho … ne_teller/

January 6, 2008 3:29 am
l0k1

l0k1

Automaton Tech

from oregon
274 posts

oceansage wrote:

Okay. So we orientate it north ,so to speak, and then work it four times (MACE = 4) What is the next clue for picking a number?

if by "north" (i.e., with the innermost picture upright), you mean things look essentially like the following (when looking down on the closed fortune teller, and pardon my ascii "art"):

|        |        |
|  bow   | sword  |
|________|________|

the yes, i believe that's the current thinking.  question is, is the first move made by opening to the left-right or to the top-bottom, if you catch my drift?  in other words, should we end on I-II-III-IV or V-VI-VII-VIII?

January 6, 2008 3:48 am
oceansage

oceansage

Tinkerer

from Planet Earth
14 posts

Yes you are correct lok1. In reading the websites on fortune tellers they state that it it does not matter which way you start. Only that you open it the number of times per letter. But that can lead to a number of options. How do you choose the number on the inside once you work the word mace?

I can't help but feel that there is something that is missing in the posted clues. From the past clues I believe that it is something in plain sight that we are not seeing.

January 6, 2008 3:56 am
l0k1

l0k1

Automaton Tech

from oregon
274 posts

oceansage wrote:

How do you choose the number on the inside once you work the word mace?

I can't help but feel that there is something that is missing in the posted clues. From the past clues I believe that it is something in plain sight that we are not seeing.

i agree.  something definitely feels like its missing.  perhaps the fortune teller won't actually become useful/come into play until heist 4 begins ... or perhaps it's something for us to play with until heist 4 begins (idle hands, blahblahblah) ... or perhaps it's just a moderately-decorative desk sculpture (the main purpose it seems to be serving for me at the moment).

January 6, 2008 4:19 am

cbyers

Tinkerer

11 posts

It  looks like the order that electrons go into electron configuration charts, but upside down. 

X=nucleus
1-8=electrons order of being put in chart
eight electrons make an octet and stable atom

6 X 5
         3    8

Not quite sure though...

January 6, 2008 4:21 am
oceansage

oceansage

Tinkerer

from Planet Earth
14 posts

I also had that thought that it could be a part of Mission 4. I guess it will come down to someone having more working synapses than me to figure this out. My kids are starting to laugh at me.

January 6, 2008 4:24 am
mjweb

mjweb

Sky Pirate

from coast2coast
2,343 posts

"perhaps the fortune teller won't actually become useful/come into play until heist 4 begins "

Bingo!

www.mjweber.com | Flickr

January 6, 2008 4:49 am
MacHeist Forums » The Backroom » Fortune Teller from Behind the Painting

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?