Forums

Rapidweaver 4

MacHeist Forums » The Front » Rapidweaver 4
mjweb

mjweb

Sky Pirate

from coast2coast
2,343 posts

Wanted to alert all my MH bros and sisses I highly recommend RW 4. If your interested what a RW site can look like (with a little panache) check out mine. Captain John will be happy to note it no longer directs to XZOLO.COM -- as promised -- but he may rest assured XZOLO will return on the sabbath of MH 3.

As an adjunct to Rapidweaver please check out www.yourhead.com. If ever there was a Mac developer who deserves your support this is your fellow. Great software!

Toots,
MJW

www.mjweber.com | Flickr

May 31, 2008 5:51 am
macpug18

macpug18

Sky Pirate

1,144 posts

I concur.  I absolutely LOVE v4.  Vast improvements, much more intuitive, so easy my totally non-tech partner was able to create (I use the word loosely! haha) a couple of pages fairly painlessly.  The screencast was good, too. 

In a word, it ROCKS!  Not only that, but it was a free upgrade from 3.6....cool!

Enjoy tongue

You've just read my signature

May 31, 2008 10:00 am
mjweb

mjweb

Sky Pirate

from coast2coast
2,343 posts

Thanks, ladyvolcc. Never seen a product supports more 3rd party developers than RW. My copy was part of the Macupdate Santa bundle cost around $5. I spent ten times more on 3rd party plug-ins since.

MH should put together a Rapidweaver bundle with plug-ins like Blocks and Collage. CSSEdit was a good start.

www.mjweber.com | Flickr

May 31, 2008 5:18 pm
blazedragon555

blazedragon555

Sky Pirate

from NYC
1,030 posts

Great idea, mjweb. I'd love to get some plugins for RapidWeaver...
Maybe some nice themes too!

Twitter

May 31, 2008 6:45 pm
boboboe

boboboe

from Eastern Canada
2,356 posts

I have been using RapidWeaver ever since I got it in the MH Bundle v1, and it has been a very valuable tool for throwing together quick websites in my community. The quality of the themes that come with RW, and the quality of the third-party themes is very good.

Flickr

May 31, 2008 11:30 pm
alloutmacstoday

alloutmacstoday

Big Game Hunter

from The Dark Side of Oz
615 posts

Looks amazing, but I just can't justify the $25.  I like flux and hand coding a bit better.

Twitter | Flickr
▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

May 31, 2008 11:55 pm
blazedragon555

blazedragon555

Sky Pirate

from NYC
1,030 posts

alloutmacstoday, I think you'll appreciate the time saved using RapidWeaver. It'll create the HTML coding for you, which you can later edit yourself. And making your own theme (if you're experienced enough to do it) can really help out, plus you can make some money off of it...

If you're making a bunch of websites, or constantly updating one, RapidWeaver is really the way to go. Unless, of course, the websites you make are so complex that making one in RapidWeaver is out of the question...

Twitter

June 1, 2008 12:46 am
mjweb

mjweb

Sky Pirate

from coast2coast
2,343 posts

blazedragon555 wrote:

Great idea, mjweb. I'd love to get some plugins for RapidWeaver...
Maybe some nice themes too!

Hope the directorate takes note.

www.mjweber.com | Flickr

June 1, 2008 1:42 am
alloutmacstoday

alloutmacstoday

Big Game Hunter

from The Dark Side of Oz
615 posts

blazedragon555 wrote:

alloutmacstoday, I think you'll appreciate the time saved using RapidWeaver. It'll create the HTML coding for you, which you can later edit yourself. And making your own theme (if you're experienced enough to do it) can really help out, plus you can make some money off of it...

If you're making a bunch of websites, or constantly updating one, RapidWeaver is really the way to go. Unless, of course, the websites you make are so complex that making one in RapidWeaver is out of the question...

I do love rapidweaver, and its simplicity, but for now, I am fine with v3

Twitter | Flickr

June 1, 2008 1:43 am
reesmaxwell

reesmaxwell

Automaton Tech

from Eugene, OR
383 posts

I find it is fairly simple to use ... the multiple different inspectors is a bit obnoxious.  But, I also find the code it creates is pretty bloated.

(That's v3, can't speak for v4.)

(Yea .. with this post I'm now a Jewel Thief ... and only after two years of being on this board!)  big_smile

What? Another MacHeist adventure is upon us? Fantastic!

June 1, 2008 4:41 am
macpug18

macpug18

Sky Pirate

1,144 posts

reesmaxwell wrote:

I find it is fairly simple to use ... the multiple different inspectors is a bit obnoxious.  But, I also find the code it creates is pretty bloated.

Wait until you see v.4....MUCH less obnoxious! 

reesmaxwell wrote:

(Yea .. with this post I'm now a Jewel Thief ... and only after two years of being on this board!)  big_smile

LOL, congrats Jewel Thief!!

June 1, 2008 7:54 am
mjweb

mjweb

Sky Pirate

from coast2coast
2,343 posts

reesmaxwell wrote:

Check out RW 4. The code engine and UI has been updated.

www.mjweber.com | Flickr

June 1, 2008 4:37 pm
pokari

pokari

Automaton Tech

from Here
142 posts

I wish it was easier to customize themes or just easier to make your own themes in a WYSIWYG format. I guess to a certain degree the Blocks add-on can do this though.

pokari

June 1, 2008 5:47 pm
alloutmacstoday

alloutmacstoday

Big Game Hunter

from The Dark Side of Oz
615 posts

is the one in our referral stuff v4?  Or does it have a free upgrade?

I have 4 referral points, so maybe instead of buying the $25 upgrade...

Twitter | Flickr

June 1, 2008 6:19 pm
boboboe

boboboe

from Eastern Canada
2,356 posts

If you have a 3.6 serial, it works in v4. v4 is a free upgrade for 3.6 users.

Flickr

June 1, 2008 9:59 pm
alloutmacstoday

alloutmacstoday

Big Game Hunter

from The Dark Side of Oz
615 posts

not if you got it through MacUpdate bundle sad

Twitter | Flickr

June 1, 2008 10:00 pm
spyker3292

spyker3292

Sky Pirate

from WI
1,728 posts

alloutmacstoday wrote:

not if you got it through MacUpdate bundle sad

Huh? Then why does my MU bundle code work fine? How do you have 4 referrals! I have 0....

Tweet! | Flickr
Go Green Monkeys Go!

June 2, 2008 11:53 am
simonandmartina

simonandmartina

Automaton Tech

from South Korea
429 posts

I got the Rapidweaver Update and I have to say that it's supercool.  I just made a whole new website within a couple of days, and - as a super super amateur website developer - Rapidweaver is better than iWeb.  I didn't like v3 of Rapidweaver and never used it.  I tried out v4 and I was quickly convinced.

I'm uploading a site with it right now to my .Mac account - hopefully it will work well.  I'll post again if it doesn't

Our ORANGE photo and movie blog in Bucheon, Korea: http://www.eatyourkimchi.com

June 2, 2008 12:09 pm
wph

wph

Sky Pirate

1,591 posts

If anyone wants to buy the bundle with my link I'll get RapidWeaver and try it out... wink

June 2, 2008 2:27 pm
Chriswan

Chriswan

Sky Pirate

from Jakarta, Indonesia
1,194 posts

My MU Bundle SN work just fine

And RW4 doesn't have activation 'feature'. A giant leap forward! big_smile

Thanks a Lot

June 2, 2008 3:14 pm
alloutmacstoday

alloutmacstoday

Big Game Hunter

from The Dark Side of Oz
615 posts

same!  I couldn't believe it!

Just noticed !

Twitter | Flickr

June 2, 2008 11:03 pm
simonandmartina

simonandmartina

Automaton Tech

from South Korea
429 posts

That sucks so hard.  I bought the upgrade without trying the serial.  SUCKS!

June 3, 2008 12:22 am
salamence502

salamence502

Automaton Tech

from Montreal, QC
189 posts

simonandmartina wrote:

I'm sure you can contact them and get a refund...

Proud Orange Supporter!
Want Dropbox? Get 2GB + 250MB of free online file storage using my referral!

June 3, 2008 12:35 am
Chriswan

Chriswan

Sky Pirate

from Jakarta, Indonesia
1,194 posts

alloutmacstoday wrote:

same!  I couldn't believe it!

Just noticed !

maybe RW developers somehow decided that activation is not for the best interest of their legal customer...

I hate activation (especially apps which make it hard to deactivate, RW is quite easy to be deactivated though...), but I understand that developers need to protect their assets in various way, a price genuine app users have to pay (thanks to those bloody cracker and casual pirates)

Thanks a Lot

June 3, 2008 1:55 am
boboboe

boboboe

from Eastern Canada
2,356 posts

simonandmartina wrote:

Yeah, email the guys here: http://www.realmacsoftware.com/getintouch/ and I am sure they will issue you a refund.

Flickr

June 3, 2008 2:59 am
simonandmartina

simonandmartina

Automaton Tech

from South Korea
429 posts

thanks for the link.  I just mailed them.  I'll let everyone know what happens.

June 3, 2008 3:17 am
macpug18

macpug18

Sky Pirate

1,144 posts

simonandmartina wrote:

Geez, don't get mad at the RW folks for doing something nice...
Guess it pays to actually read the large, bold print on their website  smile

RapidWeaver 4 is a free upgrade for all registered 3.6 users!

It goes on to say, "If you own RapidWeaver 3.6.x then version 4 is a free upgrade. You won't need to re-enter your serial, you can simply download version 4 and get weaving right away."

Cheers!

June 3, 2008 8:40 am
macpug18

macpug18

Sky Pirate

1,144 posts

wph wrote:

If anyone wants to buy the bundle with my link I'll get RapidWeaver and try it out... wink

LOL, very slick Will...very slick  tongue

June 3, 2008 8:42 am
simonandmartina

simonandmartina

Automaton Tech

from South Korea
429 posts

Hooray!  They refunded me.  I <3 Rapidweaver

June 3, 2008 12:03 pm
Dermah

Dermah

Gearhead

from Australia
86 posts

simonandmartina wrote:

Hooray!  They refunded me.  I <3 Rapidweaver

Now that is a true measure of their awesomeness.

I'm A Dinner Jacket

June 3, 2008 12:09 pm
boboboe

boboboe

from Eastern Canada
2,356 posts

Many developers are just as kind as the RW devs. Of all the developers I have spoken to during my blogging at MacApper, it has been very rarely that a dev has ever been "mean" or not very cooperative.

Flickr

June 3, 2008 9:25 pm
alloutmacstoday

alloutmacstoday

Big Game Hunter

from The Dark Side of Oz
615 posts

boboboe wrote:

Many developers are just as kind as the RW devs. Of all the developers I have spoken to during my blogging at MacApper, it has been very rarely that a dev has ever been "mean" or not very cooperative.

I agree.  Developers are always very willing to do something for you.

Twitter | Flickr

June 3, 2008 10:57 pm
mjweb

mjweb

Sky Pirate

from coast2coast
2,343 posts

simonandmartina wrote:

thanks for the link.  I just mailed them.  I'll let everyone know what happens.

Good people. They'll issue a refund. Spend it on plug-ins from www.yourhead.com. I bought Blocks and Collage 2.

www.mjweber.com | Flickr

June 4, 2008 12:36 am
BigMark

BigMark

Sky Pirate

from Kent, UK.
1,553 posts

Any discount codes out there for RW4?  $79USD is a little much for me right now,  but I'd like to move up from iWeb & iWeb Buddy.

Supposed to be at $44.99 (an excellent 45% off) at softwarediscountcodes.com/allumesmithmicro-rapidweaver.html but no mention of version number.  Sorry I can't post clickable link due to my relatively new status on forums.

Thanks,

Mark.

November 6, 2008 11:34 pm
LordZog

LordZog

Automaton Tech

264 posts

Can anyone recommend/point to a walkthrough for putting something basic together with RW4? (Just watch: you'll point out something painfully obvious that I was blind to.)

Hand-coding HTML is simple, but for some reason hand-holding tools that should presumably speed up development/mockup/initial layout end up bogging me down. I bought RW but I haven't had the time to sit down and figure out how to use it.

Why do people seem to think they have the right to not be offended?

November 7, 2008 12:23 am
doctor

doctor

Automaton Tech

from Minnesnowta
279 posts

LordZog wrote:

Can anyone recommend/point to a walkthrough for putting something basic together with RW4? (Just watch: you'll point out something painfully obvious that I was blind to.)

Screencastsonline.com has several tutorials available but they may not be free.

http://www.realmacsoftware.com/rapidwea … /index.php is free.

Proud member of Team Green
My DropBox referral

November 7, 2008 1:40 am
BigMark

BigMark

Sky Pirate

from Kent, UK.
1,553 posts

Yep, screencastsonline is the place, I'd second that!  there are many Rapidweaver tutorials on there, it isn't cheap but well worth the money IMHO.

There's even a tutorial for the excellent "yourhead" plugins and a great app called rwmultitool is also covered.  I went from no knowledge to a fairly good understanding of the product in about an hour and a half.

Mark.

PS.  I still haven't bought it though , waiting for a discount code smile

November 7, 2008 2:57 pm
flec65

flec65

Big Game Hunter

from Montréal QC
504 posts

LordZog wrote:

Can anyone recommend/point to a walkthrough for putting something basic together with RW4?

RapidWeaver Classroom has excellent tutorials that cover the basics and much, much more. It's a subscription service, so for exemple, for $15 you've got 30 days to watch videos and learn everything you want about RapidWeaver.

I'm not affiliated with RapidWeaver Classroom. I tried it for one month when RapidWeaver 4 came out and was really impressed with the overall quality.

November 7, 2008 3:22 pm
LordZog

LordZog

Automaton Tech

264 posts

Thanks, folks; much appreciated. I'll head over and take a look.

Why do people seem to think they have the right to not be offended?

November 7, 2008 5:13 pm
BigMark

BigMark

Sky Pirate

from Kent, UK.
1,553 posts

To reply to my own question...Coupon Code for RW4?

If you check out post #85 (by Godfather) in the "Special Deals on Mac Apps" thread you can buy/download RW3.6 (RW4 is a free upgrade, the license works with RW4Demo) for $29.99 (plus $4.50Tax in my case).

Not sure how many more posts I need to make before I can post links, but for now you'll need to hunt it down but it's a great deal, far better than I expected.

Mark.

November 8, 2008 12:22 am
BigMark

BigMark

Sky Pirate

from Kent, UK.
1,553 posts

RW4 will be the "Deal of the Day" at http://www.maczot.com this weekend.  Don't know price yet.   I posted in the "Software Deals" thread but thought it worth mentioning here.

Mark.

November 21, 2008 3:17 pm
SiteCR2

SiteCR2

Urchin

from Alabama
9 posts

just got 4.2.1= new dog relearning web.
too busy til now. nice interface and thanks to posters showing add=ons etc.
that helps
cheers

SiteCR2
USAF - Migs Destroyed, Mud Moved
& Sunrise Upon Request!

December 6, 2008 4:56 pm
epifany

epifany

Big Game Hunter

from Dallas, Texas
554 posts

RW 4 now part of the MacUpdate bundle.  I wonder if there are going to be any duplicates in Macheist III???

http://www.mupromo.com/winter.php

Facebooks Emoticons Made Easy!

www.ORGANICPIXELS.net

December 7, 2008 3:39 am
johnred

johnred

Directorate

1,869 posts

epifany wrote:

RW 4 now part of the MacUpdate bundle.  I wonder if there are going to be any duplicates in Macheist III???

We don't do any repeats in our yearly bundles so no way.

We feel it's extremely important to keep everything completely fresh for our annual events.

John Casasanta
MacHeist Director
tap tap tap chief

December 7, 2008 4:13 am
simonandmartina

simonandmartina

Automaton Tech

from South Korea
429 posts

I assume "everything" includes loot.

December 7, 2008 4:51 am
definetheline

definetheline

Sky Pirate

from Canada
1,512 posts

simonandmartina wrote:

I assume "everything" includes loot.

Nope, I assume John meant "annual bundles". Loot can be repeats, and even more likely, new versions of loot apps from previous years.

At least that's the last word I've heard from the Directorate on this.

the greatest blog known to mankind / twitter / flickr

December 7, 2008 5:15 am
epifany

epifany

Big Game Hunter

from Dallas, Texas
554 posts

johnred wrote:
epifany wrote:

We don't do any repeats in our yearly bundles so no way.

We feel it's extremely important to keep everything completely fresh for our annual events.

I'm sorry, I was meaning duplicates from other competitor's bundles such as the MacUpdate bundle.  I almost bought the MU bundle.  But I'm waiting to see what will be offered during Macheist III, (hoping MH III will be released before the MacUpdate is over) so that I know if I'll be getting any dup's.   Not that it would be bad, I could always use them as Christmas gifts big_smile

www.ORGANICPIXELS.net

December 7, 2008 7:03 am
johnred

johnred

Directorate

1,869 posts

epifany wrote:

I'm sorry, I was meaning duplicates from other competitor's bundles such as the MacUpdate bundle.  I almost bought the MU bundle.  But I'm waiting to see what will be offered during Macheist III, (hoping MH III will be released before the MacUpdate is over) so that I know if I'll be getting any dup's.   Not that it would be bad, I could always use them as Christmas gifts big_smile

Nope, we make a point to only include fresh apps in our bundles.*

* Disclaimer: with all the bundles that have gone on lately, there's a chance that something may slip by us. But we try hard to stay on top of all the competing bundles and "blacklist" any app that's made an appearance in one of them.†

† I'm making this point to deter the best developers from participating in the other bundles since it's well known that the payoff to them is by far the biggest with MacHeist (and because I'm really competitive). wink

John Casasanta
MacHeist Director
tap tap tap chief

December 7, 2008 8:32 am
epifany

epifany

Big Game Hunter

from Dallas, Texas
554 posts

Cool!  Thanks for the response!

www.ORGANICPIXELS.net

December 7, 2008 10:05 pm
cianmm

cianmm

Automaton Tech

from Dublin, Ireland
408 posts

Loving RW and Blocks as well.

Anybody know of some good sources to download Smart Blocks? I'm loving the idea and would like to take a look at a few of them before I go and download my own. I found the ones that the devs have on their own site, but since they kept talking about how easy it is to share them, I thought that a few sites might have been set up for this.

Here comes my fourth season of MacHeist!

December 9, 2008 6:59 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Front » Rapidweaver 4

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?