Forums

An open letter to the MacHeist community: MacHeist 3?

MacHeist Forums » The Front » An open letter to the MacHeist community: MacHeist 3?
WalrusCP

WalrusCP

Big Game Hunter

from NoVA
897 posts

MintCreation wrote:

I would love to get different bundles as well... Coming from the highly expensive Windows world (in terms of software) I would probably pick up all the bundles as no matter what you add to them they are great deals (so far)..

How about bundle themes as it have been mentioned some times, I really like that idea. More bundles but less applications in each.

Some bundle themes could be:

A classic MacHeist 3 bundle with stuff you have already thought about.

A "New to Mac" bundle would be awesome as well. This bundle could include apps that have been in bundles before. New mac users are joining this lovely world every day, and some good classic must haves are always nice for those people. Here I think, Parallels, FTP of some sort, 1Password, iTunes stuff, bookmark programs, a couple of games, a good RSS reader or similar "just" general day to day applications that will make the life easier for a new Mac user.

A online bundle for the web dev and blog minded person: Texteditor, CSS, FTP, Mars Ecto, Domain tools, Web editor, podcast, xscope, flash etc..

A creative bundle, Skitch, Picturesque, Imagewell, Comiclife, pulpmotion, istopmotion, cheetah 3d etc..

A Develper bundle much like givegoodfood

A gaming bundle filled with small great games big_smile

A music / recording bundle

A writer / thinker bundle

I'll get em all!

+1

Get a 2GB Dropbox account + additional space free for you & me

Just wait until you see the mega unlock goal. (Hint, it involves a lot of dead kittens.) – Phill Ryu

July 2, 2008 5:00 pm
aristan

aristan

Automaton Tech

from NC, USA
136 posts

johnred wrote:

Actually, we're planning some things that'll involve a nifty little piece of hardware that Apple came out with this past year. wink

That's all I'll be saying about this.

Oh sweet boneless christ. I hate every single one of you and your iPhones. I have an AT&T Contract but can't get the iphone at a good price for at least 18 more months.

And by then, Jobs will release one that actually has a holographic projector and craps money.

But you still won't be able to install Flash.

BANG BANG, HISTORY'S COMPLETE
The Black Hand holds the gun, the devil makes his run. Urban, Take The Appel Quay. It's June the 28th. The seventh one's for me.

all for you, all for you, all for you, Sophia
Malbela: It's not just a blog. It's a waste of space.

July 2, 2008 9:47 pm

janesprando

Urchin

1 posts

I would like more Utilities software, like SpellTools; one that  finds and deletes duplicate files and apps; an Appzapper program that gets rid of ALL the stuff ln System (Preferences, etc...); DiskWarrior.

I like Hidden Object and puzzle games. I have Runes of Avalon, Snood, Hidden Relics, BeJeweled.

Someone mentioned having choices of software. Like others, I already own programs from MH I and II, but I bought both anyway.  I'd like to choose the software.

Jane

July 3, 2008 12:14 am
mjweb

mjweb

Sky Pirate

from coast2coast
2,343 posts

Here's my bright idea. All MacHeist's magnificent artwork is going right down the tube. Art is the core of the heist. You guys devote more work into putting artwork together than anything. Open a MacHeist store and print the fruits of your labor on t-shirts and mugs. Duh? I'll take a 15% cut. cool Dibs!

www.mjweber.com | Flickr

July 3, 2008 3:58 am
artist-illustrator.net

artist-illustrator.net

Dirigible Captain

from Manchester, UK
3,027 posts

mjweb wrote:

Here's my bright idea. All MacHeist's magnificent artwork is going right down the tube. Art is the core of the heist. You guys devote more work into putting artwork together than anything. Open a MacHeist store and print the fruits of your labor on t-shirts and mugs. Duh? I'll take a 15% cut. cool Dibs!

and get the MacHeist faithful to submit designs for said t-shirts and. . . . er. .  mugs? hmm not sure about the mugs, but id buy a t-shirt. smile

I'm feeling old

July 3, 2008 9:37 am
djfoxmccloud

djfoxmccloud

Gearhead

from France
54 posts

I would like a iPhone/iPod Touch bundle maybe ! With the upcoming appstore, that can be really great !

Purple team FTW

July 3, 2008 4:45 pm
mjweb

mjweb

Sky Pirate

from coast2coast
2,343 posts

artist-illustrator.net wrote:
mjweb wrote:

and get the MacHeist faithful to submit designs for said t-shirts and. . . . er. .  mugs? hmm not sure about the mugs, but id buy a t-shirt. smile

They could host our stores in the basement. wink
http://www.mjweber.com/page1/page1.html

www.mjweber.com | Flickr

July 3, 2008 7:54 pm

capapies

Urchin

2 posts

well, i liked the bundels so far. for me just make sure such things like speeddownload won't happen again ;-)

July 9, 2008 12:15 pm
awakebyjava

awakebyjava

Automaton Tech

from Outpost Gallifrey
234 posts

mjweb wrote:

Machiest  t-shirts FTW! Instant connection to people on the street. And we are all so cool people would be like, "What is (s)he wearing? Macheist! What is that? I want to be as cool as that person!"

Don't legi con comm bility unica fuse with tion.

Twitter

July 10, 2008 3:52 am
gnome06

gnome06

Tinkerer

from FRANCE
13 posts

My list for next apps bundle :

- Coda
- Delicious Library 2
- BannerZest PRO
- VMWare Fusion
- Transmit
- Picturesque
- ComicLife
- OmniGraffle
- MarsEdit
- Mail Factory      
- Flux
- Skitch
- Versions (www-versionsapp-com)

--
Gnome06

July 10, 2008 1:00 pm

David O'Connell

Tinkerer

from Ireland
19 posts

Not that my opinion counts for much, but I think it would be better to sort out the problems you've had with present MacHeist customers before recruiting anyone else

http://www.macheist.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8284

--
disgruntled

July 11, 2008 10:26 am

David O'Connell

Tinkerer

from Ireland
19 posts

Just to update on my previous moan: I heard from Phill Ryu today @ 2.30 am (GMT), so perhaps my issues will soon be resolved

--
disgruntled

July 12, 2008 10:34 am
pjrobertson

pjrobertson

Tinkerer

from UK, Wales
46 posts

I think the option to gift apps you already have is a good one.

Also - make sure all licenses are full (or at least say if they're not, make it clear that they're not). I know the Speed Download saga earlier this year made a lot of people angry!

Blue team FTW!

July 24, 2008 8:04 am
wretyz15

wretyz15

Gearhead

72 posts

I switched to the mac about 3 months ago, and have been looking for more applications to use. After hearing about macheist from a couple of friends, I decided to join up. I missed macheist 1 and 2 and am hoping that there will be some apps that I could use in macheist 3. One thing that I would like to see overall on mac heist, is an "introduction mission" for new macheist members, like mPr

July 26, 2008 7:06 pm

Dr. Dave

Urchin

8 posts

I really, REALLY like the idea of having a bunch of applications to choose from. Rather than having different bundles and making me choose if I am a developer or an artist or a musician or a bug collector =8-0  I could just choose all of what interests me.

So maybe have a price for 10 apps, for 12 or 15, and then for >15? I would much rather do that.

One app that I would LOVE for the next one is a good DVD burner for movies. My last two are now Tiger only and I hate changing computers just to burn home movies or TV shows.

And I agree that we hardcore fans are your base, but we do bring friends and colleagues into the fold too!

Thanks for all of your great work!

Dave

July 28, 2008 1:51 pm
devnull000

devnull000

Automaton Tech

from Earth
111 posts

My vote goes to Circus Ponies Notebook.

Go MacHeist! smile • Get Dropbox • free online backup space: Mac, PC, Unix & iPhone friendly -- using my link gets you & me extra space, thanks for clicking. smile

July 30, 2008 1:57 am

beingcool

Tinkerer

13 posts

Hey there,

I have a few comments that I would like to say:

- I don't understand the point of those that actually finish the heists to get higher/better loots than those that just put in the codes. Sure, it is considered as "cheating", however, for promotional values, whether the person did the mission or not is irrelevant. Both will contribute the same at the end, the program being known. In fact, I'd say that it would be disadvantageous to the developers if such restrictions where put. The current system is good as it is, and it generates a lot of hype as it is, don't mess up with a good thing!

- The bundle: if you want to do a tiered system and still avoid people moaning about it, there should be fully functional and easily available (preferably through the MH site) demos of the program for use beforehand so that people that chose to buy a program then discovered that they don't need it won't bitch and moan about it.

- The referral system. My personal opinion is that it is an excellent idea and definitely increases the chances for the viral spread of word that the previous bundles had. However, since not everyone has the chance to refer someone who will buy the bundle, how about making the referral into a two parter: the first one is to refer to a an x number of people and get the free software, while if a y number of people actually buy the software, you'd get a certain steep discount on your bundle. This way, everyone can get the programs without a problem, however, only those that will get people to buy are going to get that certain amazing price on the main bundle.

- Finally, just adding my voice to the rest, post counts and rep points = the devil. Being a lurker also means that I don't post much however I do check out the site quite a lot. I don't believe that I should be penalized for not wanting to post just to increase my post count.

August 1, 2008 2:21 pm
macpug18

macpug18

Sky Pirate

1,144 posts

I mentioned t-shirts a few months ago.  I thought it would be a great idea.  Could go thru either Cafe Press or Oddica (the Daring Fireball shirts are nice)...can't remember who did the Evernote shirts, but they are very nice as well.  So, several choices.
I'd be on board and would be a few in a heartbeat!

Have two or three different designs....the one on the homepage for sure....something involving the cute little monkey....

Would be cool to have one full design on front for a shirt, then for another shirt, have the full logo on the back, with www.macheist.com on the left chest.

Let's have a contest!!!!

You've just read my signature

August 1, 2008 2:28 pm
drtth

drtth

Tinkerer

from South Eastern PA
49 posts

phillryu wrote:

Thanks for the great commentary so far.

Regarding rewarding forum posters, I think it could work as long as the rewards are extremely minimal (vs. things like say, discovering a mission clue first, or finishing a mission) and also, implement a penalty that is automatically applied (a large one) if a moderator deletes your post for being inane, off topic, whatever.

Thoughts on that? Or is it totally a lost cause? I agree the level of conversation here is pretty good, but in terms of activity, I think MacHeist I might have been the peak.

We are throwing around the idea of having some element of choice, or a lottery type thing, or a 'super size' option, to in general offer more options for the customer. I personally think at least a 'deluxe' type offer might be nice, while keeping things still relatively simple (think of Apple's very streamlined lineup), but we'll see.

Keep these coming smile

Honestly after much reflection I think rewarding posters is a lost cause.  A significant number of replies to the very few posts I have made have involved comments made by people who didn't bother to read closely what had been said or who responded to something they thought had been said which was not stated in the original post.   There seem to be a subset of people on the forums who post something just for the sake of posting.   Evaluating the quality of a post to give a favorable score to those who say something worth reading is just not worth your time and energy.

Things Change!

August 2, 2008 11:32 pm
ampro

ampro

Tinkerer

24 posts

Default Folder
VMware Fusion
Skitch
Circus Ponies Notebook or Aquaminds Notetaker or OmniOutliner Pro
Voice Candy
iGlasses
Bookdog (since my registered BookIt can't grok Firefox3 yet)
CandyBar
BBedit
Curio
PDFKey Pro or PDFPen
MenuCalendarClock
Hear
Path Finder
Transmit
Soundslides or Boinx FotoMagico
Toon Boom Studio Express   
AirFoil

August 4, 2008 3:22 am

Dr. Dave

Urchin

8 posts

How about A Better Finder Rename?

Unless there's something better, I need something to rename a lot of files easily.

August 6, 2008 2:08 pm
rampancy

rampancy

from Denial.
3,890 posts

pjrobertson wrote:

I think the option to gift apps you already have is a good one.

With MH2, you had the option of specifying the name and email address for the registration of each app for gifting.

beingcool wrote:

- I don't understand the point of those that actually finish the heists to get higher/better loots than those that just put in the codes. Sure, it is considered as "cheating", however, for promotional values, whether the person did the mission or not is irrelevant. Both will contribute the same at the end, the program being known. In fact, I'd say that it would be disadvantageous to the developers if such restrictions where put. The current system is good as it is, and it generates a lot of hype as it is, don't mess up with a good thing!

This is what pisses me off about MH; with MH2, people ended up posting the vault codes to pages on blogger; they couldn't even be bothered to go to the end of the spoiler threads. I for one wouldn't mind having "checkpoints" in the heist to give more loot for people who completed the missions.

Dr. Dave wrote:

Seconded, though I recommend FileBuddy too.

Marathon Forever.
AppShelf: MacHeist 3 Loot
AppShelf: nanoBundle 1
Check Reciept Page for nanoBundle 2 AppShelf Files.

August 6, 2008 2:43 pm
blue_fireball_eater

blue_fireball_eater

from Chicago
2,797 posts

As far as heists go, I think that the spectrum of heisters is already focused on the hardcore mac users. I could not convince the majority of my friends with macs to even come to the site to claim free software. There are still a lot of people with macs out there who are new to the OS or just generally afraid of anything other than Microsoft Word. If MH could tap into that market then it could expand the user base outside of the hardcore crowd. To change the heists, one way or another, will shift the appeal towards one end of the hardcore spectrum only. What is needed is something besides heists that gets "normal" people excited. I am not sure how it could be done, but iPhone or iPod apps might be an easy and obvious way to tap into that crowd.

avatar is from Penfield & Jasper, 1954

August 6, 2008 3:52 pm
justG

justG

Sky Pirate

from LI, NY, US
1,639 posts

Dr. Dave wrote:

Unless there's something better, I need something to rename a lot of files easily.

Have a look at Name Mangler, created by the most excellent Many Tricks folks (Peter Maurer, who's also made an appearance on these forums, I think). It's free and I've heard gives ABFR a run for its money. I've been meaning to give it a go myself, in spite of owning a lifetime ABFR license, but haven't had a chance yet. Suggested it because I've heard nothing but good stuff about it and ABFR's UI's getting pretty long in the tooth (waiting for v8).

August 7, 2008 11:42 am
TomEck

TomEck

Gearhead

55 posts

justG wrote:
Dr. Dave wrote:

Have a look at Name Mangler, created by the most excellent Many Tricks folks (Peter Maurer, who's also made an appearance on these forums, I think). It's free and I've heard gives ABFR a run for its money. I've been meaning to give it a go myself, in spite of owning a lifetime ABFR license, but haven't had a chance yet. Suggested it because I've heard nothing but good stuff about it and ABFR's UI's getting pretty long in the tooth (waiting for v8).

...just to let you know that the second beta version of ABFRv8  is out already.

Oranges are sweet!

August 7, 2008 3:42 pm
justG

justG

Sky Pirate

from LI, NY, US
1,639 posts

@TomEck: That's excellent news, thanks! I haven't needed the application in a while, so I've not looked for updates (whoops).

August 7, 2008 3:58 pm
alin0steglinski

alin0steglinski

Urchin

from Chicago
3 posts

edified wrote:

Great.  Don't taint forums by making points per post though ok?  There's many times that I discover something but don't post because it's -1 Redundant.  Don't promote -1 Spam on the forums.  Also IRC often proves to be a better way for me to participate.  The forums require lots of wading to find gems and when I post I do so knowing that many people will probably miss my post.

I swear to god, please do NOT make the forums "Reward" Based! The forum reward thing will attract so much spam. You guys will need 10 times the amount of moderators you have right now. End of story!

check out my website at http://www.alinssite.info and my forum at http://www.disabledplanet.net

August 18, 2008 6:32 pm
apt213

apt213

Automaton Tech

from Austin, TX
205 posts

A few brief notes:

1. Love the shirt idea. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
2. Not crazy about the forum post rewards. People who have too much time on their hands shouldn't be rewarded for it.
3. Would love to see different ICQ rooms going on- moderated possibly based upon what step you're on. Everyone starts in room one. Once you've completed that clue, then onto the next room. Last year, it was so chaotic and everyone was working on random steps simultaneously, ans often you'd get the answer on a future step long before you caught up to it. (I'm a geek, but not as much as some of you cats!) I don't know if this is logical or practical. The only time I use ICQ is for MacHeist, so I'm kind of talking out of my hind end, you know?
4. Love the idea of different groupings of apps. I'd be likely to buy the entire bunch, but I'm sure some people would like the option to choose.
5. More Missions on Weekends!!! It's crushingly difficult to shut down at work (but don't think I didn't) for the real-world missions. If it was on the weekend, I think more people could participate. This  was definitely my favorite part of MacHeist last year- it bleeding out of the machine and onto the street. Brilliant and fun, albeit a tad stressful!

Side note for the Directorate to make you all warm and fuzzy-- When asked the other day what makes me instantaneously overcome with joy, my first answer was "The sound that my Mac makes to usher in the beginning of a new MacHeist mission! Then the games begin!" Can't tell you how much I love you guys.

Diane, this case gives me a strange feeling... this is one of Cole's blue rose cases.

October 1, 2008 4:55 am
kcwookie

kcwookie

Tinkerer

from Kansas City
49 posts

The bundle business is getting crowded. Forty-nine dollars seems to be the magic number. How about going a little lower? Given the economic conditions you might do better. Lastly, for the bundle to sell you need a great anchor. Most bundle apps I don't use, but I jump in for the anchor.

Never ask a person what computer they use. If they use a Mac, they will tell you, otherwise why shame them.

October 2, 2008 2:06 pm
brandtsound

brandtsound

Tinkerer

from Richmond, Virginia
20 posts

edified wrote:

Great.  Don't taint forums by making points per post though ok?  There's many times that I discover something but don't post because it's -1 Redundant.  Don't promote -1 Spam on the forums.  Also IRC often proves to be a better way for me to participate.  The forums require lots of wading to find gems and when I post I do so knowing that many people will probably miss my post.

I agree, I personally read through the forums quite a bit, but usually I can only log on a few times a month (that silly work / school thing gets in the way).  I would say that I'm participating by reading and following up- but I won't post anything unless it wouldn't be redundant.  Maybe just a reward for having posted sometime in the last ____  just so that we don't get spam or redundant posts in the forums.

"Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber." ~Plato

MacHeist #3 smile   Go Purple Team!

October 7, 2008 2:13 pm
Dreamer_uk

Dreamer_uk

Automaton Tech

from UK
261 posts

Ok so my 2 cents worth.
Gaming bundle with a retail game involved? was hinted at before and it would be easy to avoid duplicates.
select an app bundles with bigger discounts as you buy more are done elsewhere successfully (slysoft.com for example) tho the point of what people choose is valid i think it would work.
Rewards in forums is a really bad idea. Through out MH3 the forum users cribbed from the IRC crowd, it will turn into a race for the forum post that gets the point. imo unworkable and would leave a bitter taste in everyones mouth.
Please can we have support for the methods of communication we have. IRC/Wiki/Forum etc. I feel that the IRC op's get a real hard time during heists I realise that It's difficult with timezones etc, but now the community is so big, can you deligate support to people in other places. on irc during the day the amount of "my card has been charged but no email from macheist" was amazing but because the us was asleep they were getting little to no response. pointing them at the op who can check this out would result in a major customer service boost, certainly for over the pond.
for MH3 a bundle as before with good apps. Raise the game on the customer support and your credability and customers will increase.
a trouble free bundle with no speed-download or similar issues and quickly resolved payment problems. Is worth way more than extra apps for the first xx buyers.
keep up the charity work but again please can you make some of them ones globaly known.

Dare to keep your dreams alive, now in purple

Every New Beginning comes from some other beginnings end!
See Purples shine at the team site: www.macheist.co.uk

October 14, 2008 12:26 pm
awakebyjava

awakebyjava

Automaton Tech

from Outpost Gallifrey
234 posts

So, I just realized I never post on forums off heist. Did someone say something about a t-shirt? I was just contemplating a diggnation or trs shirt, but macheist would definitely come first!

Twitter

October 20, 2008 1:13 am
awakebyjava

awakebyjava

Automaton Tech

from Outpost Gallifrey
234 posts

I just checked, and yup, already said that once. Man, I need either to get a life or buy one on ebay.

Twitter

October 20, 2008 1:15 am
awojtowski

awojtowski

Gearhead

from Oshkosh, WI
72 posts

I like the idea of the t-shirt.
Don't like forum points
I agree with kcwookie about the price point. $49 seems to be the magic number. Maybe two bundles a higher priced to entice a larger scale anchor and a lower priced to help the economic conditions. Buy one or both. Both and get a better discount.

November 7, 2008 9:51 pm

jaredloman

Urchin

2 posts

As a relatively new Mac Heist fan, I would like to post for others like myself who have missed out on the previous MacHeist Packages.

At first when I discovered this I really wasn't sure what to think. I was very skeptical of whether or not to participate, because I wasn't sure if this was something that was going to result in me having a bunch of spy/adware on my computer.

As such, I missed out on two EXCELLENT bundles of software.

It would be nice if rather then doing repeat apps, the old bundles were simply made available again to people who have missed the opportunity to purchase them whether by just putting them up for sale or by putting up the old contests, or by creating new side quests.

Please forgive me if this has been brought up before, but again, I am fairly new and haven't been surfing these forums for any length of time.

Thank you for your consideration.

November 7, 2008 11:31 pm
johnred

johnred

Directorate

1,869 posts

jaredloman wrote:

At first when I discovered this I really wasn't sure what to think. I was very skeptical of whether or not to participate, because I wasn't sure if this was something that was going to result in me having a bunch of spy/adware on my computer.

There are just some times where the name MacHeist doesn't serve us very well. So on that note, welcome to the new MacNice. Hmmm, nah.

John Casasanta
MacHeist Director
tap tap tap chief

November 8, 2008 1:07 am

jaredloman

Urchin

2 posts

johnred wrote:

There are just some times where the name MacHeist doesn't serve us very well. So on that note, welcome to the new MacNice. Hmmm, nah.

Haha, yeah, I'm probably a tad over the top when it comes to worrying about this stuff. I am really anxious to participate in MHIII though...now that I know what this is all about. And....I definitely look forward to the potential opportunity *hint* *hint* to purchase the packs that I missed out on.

Thanks for the welcome!
-Jared

November 8, 2008 9:24 am
kauthor

kauthor

Gearhead

90 posts

I will say MacOps.

November 8, 2008 10:16 pm
rail16

rail16

Automaton Tech

from Scotland
141 posts

my feelings reflect some of the other posts that are in this thread.  bad on the forum rewarding and such.

participating in the forums itself is its own reward to me.  let's please leave it alone.

the idea of referrals is really nice, but dangit, all the mac users i know are of the bit torrent variety and don't care about helping the shareware developers or simply don't want to buy any applications.

so i have no one to send these referral codes to and therefore end up missing out on the awesome side deals that come from referring people to the neat mac heist.

the only other person that is interested is my wife and she participates in in the heists themselves.  so that's a bust as well.

if there is some other way that us folks that have no friends (or only know windows users) to reap the same benefits/rewards would be very awesome.

November 10, 2008 4:49 pm
johnred

johnred

Directorate

1,869 posts

rail16 wrote:

the idea of referrals is really nice, but dangit, all the mac users i know are of the bit torrent variety and don't care about helping the shareware developers or simply don't want to buy any applications.

so i have no one to send these referral codes to and therefore end up missing out on the awesome side deals that come from referring people to the neat mac heist.

We've gotten feedback from many, many people in which they mention how MacHeist was their first legitimate software purchase. I'm sure many will agree that you appreciate something you've earned much more than something you've stolen.

So I'd look at it as a challenge... try and get the pirates to convert because everyone wins then.

And keep in mind that we still offer a ton of ways to get free software if you don't want to do much work... simply go to the Backroom and enter a found combo code when a mission is on and you get free loot.

John Casasanta
MacHeist Director
tap tap tap chief

November 11, 2008 2:58 am
kongobongo

kongobongo

Automaton Tech

443 posts

My friends buy software, but I feel, you know, GREEDY, if I ask them to use my referal to buy the bundle just so that I can get some free software. I usually tell them about the bundles, but without the referal link.

Plastic Fish Never Die

November 11, 2008 6:36 am
kodac

kodac

Automaton Tech

from Southern California
196 posts

johnred wrote:

We've gotten feedback from many, many people in which they mention how MacHeist was their first legitimate software purchase. I'm sure many will agree that you appreciate something you've earned much more than something you've stolen.

So I'd look at it as a challenge... try and get the pirates to convert because everyone wins then.

And keep in mind that we still offer a ton of ways to get free software if you don't want to do much work... simply go to the Backroom and enter a found combo code when a mission is on and you get free loot.

Yes but the problem I ran into last year is that I invited my new friends to MacHeist *before* the bundle and then they bought their own bundles. So I was SOL on those people. I did manage to scrounge 2 people to buy bundles thru my referral code but they have already said they're going to play this time so again *no referrals*. Is there any way to link referrals before the bundle and get credit that way?

I have 3 new Mac-using friends who are interested in MacHeist but again if they do the heists they'll want their own bundles. Good for you, bad for me.

So I'm stuck - should I be a bad friend and 'conveniently' forget to remind them until the bundle or be a good friend and tell them but but lose the referrals?
Oh BTW, did I mention all 3 are female? tongue

-Edited for grammatical error

Tired of friends filling up your Dropbox? Then try Copy w/ Fair Storage and get 20Gb when you use my referral link https://copy.com?r=VKrfCL

November 22, 2008 9:04 pm
kodac

kodac

Automaton Tech

from Southern California
196 posts

Ok, my 2 cents -
reward for posts - universally bad (although this point has been conceded already)
no repeats - good
also *please add this to MH III* - more and/or better communication. If a problem pops up don't wait 3 days to respond

Also Shirts would be great. I love the one I got from the MH 1 party. I still wear it. Wouldn't have to be part of a bundle but could be a separate purchase.

and a couple comments on previous posts in this thread -

faryl wrote:

A couple of other thoughts -
rewards:
- perhaps continued "easter eggs" or promo codes occasionally posted in the forum between heists would be an effective way to give something to the active community without diluting it's quality? 
- another thought (which would grow your mailing list/audience without potentially impacting forum quality) would be promos communicated only to those on the list

Sound like good ideas to me but hey YMMV...

patashnik wrote:

And drop the "bargain" focus: $482 worth of apps at $49? iClip is not a $29 app. CoverSutra is not a $23 app. Overflow is not a $15 app. Let people do the math for themselves. The current bundle, to me, is a "$40 worth of apps at $49" (DevonThink is somewhat cool), there is no $482 value in there. Unused apps are worthless.

Here's my echo. What may useless to someone may be darn useful to me or vice versa. I got Overflow before MacHeist and still use it regularly even after Leopard. I got 1Password as a freebie in MH 1 and bought it I liked it so much.

alloutmacstoday wrote:

Wishlist:
Mark Howson Must Die - Hyper Turbo Edition

Hmmmmmm, I wonder where they got the idea for this one wink tongue

mtaylor wrote:

Games:

Jets'n'Guns Gold -- side scrolling shooter.  Very satisfying.

I wouldn't mind getting it here since they couldn't pull the fast one they did on  MacZOT. Basically they said that the 'upgrade' price from JnG to JnG Gold didn't apply to MacZOT people because it wasn't purchased it was a gift (was part of a bundle).

Lastly, this posted 07-02-08, any chances we'll be getting a start date soon?

phillryu wrote:
LaurentR wrote:

Is there a schedule for the next bundle ?

Yes, but it's a closely guarded secret. Leaking the date early would not be good considering how much competition there is these days. tongue

It's coming though, and not ridiculously far off.

Tired of friends filling up your Dropbox? Then try Copy w/ Fair Storage and get 20Gb when you use my referral link https://copy.com?r=VKrfCL

November 23, 2008 12:28 am
macpug18

macpug18

Sky Pirate

1,144 posts

kondac wrote:

Shirts would be great. I love the one I got from the MH 1 party. I still wear it. Wouldn't have to be part of a bundle but could be a separate purchase.

I echo the shirt sentiment.  Going to start a thread to see if I can generate some interest along those lines. 
Cheers!

You've just read my signature

November 23, 2008 1:14 am
sach

sach

Gearhead

from Lublin, PL
52 posts

Will be nice to have basic bundle + option to add to bundle more apps with discount, more apps bigger discount.

--------------------------
haribol wink
http://wingtsunlublin.com
http://www.2balanced.com

December 17, 2008 5:57 am
paradime

paradime

Automaton Tech

473 posts

sach wrote:

Will be nice to have basic bundle + option to add to bundle more apps with discount, more apps bigger discount.

I think this is a great idea! A few people have mentioned this previously.

When given the opportunity, I've chosen to upgrade some of my bundle apps. For example, I upgraded Swift Publisher that was in a MU bundle to the Retail Edition because it was only $10 more. I also upgraded my Pulp Motion to Pulp Motion Pro, which I don't remember the price exactly but I think it was like $40. Certainly not that low but great deal compared to buying it from scratch.

Ultimately, it is something the Directorate should really consider.

Man is a genius when he is dreaming.
- Akira Kurosawa

December 18, 2008 1:58 am
MacHeist Forums » The Front » An open letter to the MacHeist community: MacHeist 3?

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?