Forums

ATTN: Proxy Warning

MacHeist Forums » The Front » ATTN: Proxy Warning
johnred

johnred

Directorate

1,869 posts

In an effort to prevent a lot of the BS that's been going on around here, we're going to be banning known proxies such as hidemyass.com, etc. from now on. Come in here as yourself or don't come in at all.

If you come in through a proxy and we detect and ban the proxy, then you come in through a different one, that'll be cause for a permanent ban of your account.

This will be the one and only warning I'm giving on this issue and I'm 100% serious about it. I don't have time for BS like this.

If you have no clue what I'm talking about then you have nothing to worry about.

John Casasanta
MacHeist Director
tap tap tap chief

July 31, 2008 4:59 pm
blazedragon555

blazedragon555

Sky Pirate

from NYC
1,030 posts

Why would someone come on a proxy?
Other than spammers, I doubt anyone would have any reason to go on through a proxy.

Twitter

July 31, 2008 7:44 pm
rampancy

rampancy

from Denial.
3,890 posts

blazedragon555 wrote:

Other than spammers, I doubt anyone would have any reason to go on through a proxy.

Ask Strange/PollenMan that.

Marathon Forever.
AppShelf: MacHeist 3 Loot
AppShelf: nanoBundle 1
Check Reciept Page for nanoBundle 2 AppShelf Files.

July 31, 2008 7:54 pm
travislopes

travislopes

Gearhead

88 posts

blazedragon555 wrote:

MacHeist might be blocked, for some reason, by Websense or similar filtering services. I know that if I was at school and MacHeist was blocked, I would just proxy in.

July 31, 2008 8:56 pm
Sleeves

Sleeves

Sky Pirate

1,497 posts

travislopes wrote:
blazedragon555 wrote:

MacHeist might be blocked, for some reason, by Websense or similar filtering services. I know that if I was at school and MacHeist was blocked, I would just proxy in.

It's not blocked at my school, but if it was, I would go through a proxy. Guess I can't do that if the need arises.

Iced Cocoa | KVN Media | Vimeo | Flickr | TwitterPM

August 1, 2008 12:09 am
ben.mcmahan

ben.mcmahan

Automaton Tech

from Mostly Tucson
455 posts

As i understand it, there are different types of proxies (please, someone, correct me if I'm wrong, or have misinterpreted what little I've read) - some are designed to hide you altogether (anonymous), and some have to do with routing or whatever and remain transparent (i.e. your 'real' IP address is still visible)...does this seem about right?

the only reason i've looked into this, is b/c i think my verizon broadband access card uses a proxy, since my IP maps to somewhere close to Houston (sometimes as far as Killeen, tx), and I'm at least 285 miles east of Houston.

johnred seems to be intimating that it is:
(intentional use of anonymous proxy) + (misbehavior) = problem...

so if you ban the use of anonymous proxies, you cut down on the misbehaving, and therefore the problems...

On a related note: there is a move afoot (albeit sofar only via legal action to hold people more accountable to their "anonymous" actions on the internet...so far, only in extreme cases, but it does call attention to the way discourse takes place on the web, and how people are able to say things in cyberspace that (for a number of reasons) wouldn't fly in "real" life.

Whatcha got ain't nothin new. This country's hard on people, you can't stop what's coming, it ain't all waiting on you.

That's vanity.

August 1, 2008 2:10 am
Warbrain

Warbrain

Dirigible Captain

from Not here.
6,982 posts

NothngUpMySleeve wrote:
travislopes wrote:
blazedragon555 wrote:

It's not blocked at my school, but if it was, I would go through a proxy. Guess I can't do that if the need arises.

Um, let's look at the fact that you shouldn't circumvent their security.  When I was in lower education I admitted defeat because I had no other choice.

Website | Twitter

August 1, 2008 3:22 am
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

Warbrain wrote:
NothngUpMySleeve wrote:
travislopes wrote:

Um, let's look at the fact that you shouldn't circumvent their security.  When I was in lower education I admitted defeat because I had no other choice.

+1. You're using somebody else's network. Like it or not, it's their sandbox, and they set the rules.

PM me | Twitter

August 1, 2008 11:02 am
macpug18

macpug18

Sky Pirate

1,144 posts

Excellent idea, John!  Maybe it will 'settle things down' a little bit.

You've just read my signature

August 1, 2008 2:22 pm
dunlap3

dunlap3

Big Game Hunter

from Trenton, NJ
521 posts

I admit that anonymous proxies have a place, like checking out a site that doesn't seem totally legit so you don't compromise your info.  But I agree that there is no place for them here on the forums.  If you're using proxies to stir up trouble, you have no place here.  If you're coming for honest conversation, then there should be no problem coming as you are.  And if you're on someone else's network, then yeah, you do have to play by their rules.  Why do you think I'm posting so much more in the summer?  No school network to block my access.

So all in all, I think this is a good move John.  I love talking to everyone here, and I like being able to tell who I'm talking to.  Makes conversation much easier.

MichelleDunlap.com - Twitter -
Go Green Monkeys!

August 1, 2008 3:09 pm
mjweb

mjweb

Sky Pirate

from coast2coast
2,343 posts

@ johnred Good detective work, good move!

www.mjweber.com | Flickr

August 1, 2008 3:54 pm
PAKennedy

PAKennedy

Big Game Hunter

from London, UK
667 posts

rampancy wrote:
blazedragon555 wrote:

Not drawing assumptions, but its interesting that neither accounts have had a post since July 30, about 12 hours before john put this up.  hmm...

Give a man fire, he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

August 11, 2008 4:59 am
artist-illustrator.net

artist-illustrator.net

Dirigible Captain

from Manchester, UK
3,027 posts

I've said it before, and i'll say it again

http://img.skitch.com/20080811-nd7x6t91736de9d52inb232byn.jpg

I'm feeling old

August 11, 2008 8:21 am
Sleeves

Sleeves

Sky Pirate

1,497 posts

jpdyson wrote:
Warbrain wrote:
NothngUpMySleeve wrote:

+1. You're using somebody else's network. Like it or not, it's their sandbox, and they set the rules.

Point taken.

August 12, 2008 7:19 pm
mjweb

mjweb

Sky Pirate

from coast2coast
2,343 posts

PAKennedy wrote:
rampancy wrote:
blazedragon555 wrote:

Not drawing assumptions, but its interesting that neither accounts have had a post since July 30, about 12 hours before john put this up.  hmm...

I miss Pollenman and Strange. Or is it Pollenman's avatar I miss? Or is Pollenman, Strange? I'm so confused! wink

www.mjweber.com | Flickr

August 13, 2008 5:20 am
chewy5000

chewy5000

Sky Pirate

from Terra Australis
1,174 posts

NothngUpMySleeve wrote:
jpdyson wrote:
Warbrain wrote:

Point taken.

And you probably shouldn't be visiting this sight whilst at school. Someones not paying attention in class...

mmm... Extra chewy

August 13, 2008 6:17 am
dunlap3

dunlap3

Big Game Hunter

from Trenton, NJ
521 posts

chewy5000 wrote:

And you probably shouldn't be visiting this sight whilst at school. Someones not paying attention in class...

Ah, but you forget the glory that is study hall.  In my study hall last year I let my students use the computers for entertainment purposes if no one needed them for work.  Better than having them bounce off the walls for an hour.

MichelleDunlap.com - Twitter -
Go Green Monkeys!

August 13, 2008 5:22 pm
dantini

dantini

Automaton Tech

from Riverside, CA USA
380 posts

johnred wrote:

If you have no clue what I'm talking about then you have nothing to worry about.

BTW, I think that's a quotable quote!

Turning GREEN waiting for the bundle!

WTF? LOL! OMG! ROFL!

August 13, 2008 9:26 pm
kodac

kodac

Automaton Tech

from Southern California
196 posts

ben.mcmahan wrote:

the only reason i've looked into this, is b/c i think my verizon broadband access card uses a proxy, since my IP maps to somewhere close to Houston (sometimes as far as Killeen, tx), and I'm at least 285 miles east of Houston.

Really? That's close. I use a friend's card occasionally and it shows up as New York. I'm no where near there.

Tired of friends filling up your Dropbox? Then try Copy w/ Fair Storage and get 20Gb when you use my referral link https://copy.com?r=VKrfCL

September 4, 2008 5:55 am
t5tr

t5tr

Automaton Tech

270 posts

johnred wrote:

If you come in through a proxy and we detect and ban the proxy, then you come in through a different one, that'll be cause for a permanent ban of your account.

John, brilliant idea, go ahead, but if you don't mind give us a chance to keep using our normal cache only / accelerator / transparent proxies like squid and friends...

" If you come in through an anonymizer proxy and we ... "

johnred wrote:

I hope so, I would like that. However, IMHO this rhetoric triggers both a false idea of security and a bad habit. That "no clue" is what will transform us in victims. Just you don't have nothing to worry.

.:;-= 60 6r33n !
"But you've heard of MH3."

September 5, 2008 4:29 am
Sleeves

Sleeves

Sky Pirate

1,497 posts

chewy5000 wrote:
NothngUpMySleeve wrote:
jpdyson wrote:

Point taken.

We can't bring laptops to my high school, so the only time we can use a computer is in some sort of computer class.

September 8, 2008 12:26 am
OverHaze

OverHaze

Automaton Tech

107 posts

This might be a stupid question but does this include adblocking proxies like privoxy or glimmerblocker?

November 30, 2008 11:29 pm
Warbrain

Warbrain

Dirigible Captain

from Not here.
6,982 posts

OverHaze wrote:

This might be a stupid question but does this include adblocking proxies like privoxy or glimmerblocker?

Does it redirect all your traffic through a server?

Website | Twitter

December 1, 2008 12:19 am
OverHaze

OverHaze

Automaton Tech

107 posts

Never tried glimmerblocker but privoxy is local.

December 1, 2008 12:49 am

ogc

Urchin

1 posts

Privoxy can be used non-local. It's what I use from work to home and it gets around their garbage filter.

December 23, 2008 5:05 pm
macmuse

macmuse

Big Game Hunter

from Pittsburgh-ish
580 posts

kodac wrote:
ben.mcmahan wrote:

Really? That's close. I use a friend's card occasionally and it shows up as New York. I'm no where near there.

Which is why BriteKite location can be so horribly wrong.

teh Blog / teh Twitter / Try Dropbox

December 23, 2008 5:15 pm
ben.mcmahan

ben.mcmahan

Automaton Tech

from Mostly Tucson
455 posts

Today it's actually closer!  I'm on i-70 heading east (in colorado), and it has me as located about 50 miles north of the interstate... (and no i'm not driving!) smile

It may because it's a cell based usb modem, and has an actual cell phone number, so i suspect it routes through local EVDO towers (when I'm lucky) or 1X towers (when I'm not) (on verizon)

Whatcha got ain't nothin new. This country's hard on people, you can't stop what's coming, it ain't all waiting on you.

That's vanity.

December 23, 2008 6:55 pm
OverHaze

OverHaze

Automaton Tech

107 posts

I'm using gimmerblocker now, just trying it out. It is in no way hiding my identity or location so I assume thats ok?

December 28, 2008 10:56 am
MacHeist Forums » The Front » ATTN: Proxy Warning

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?