Forums

Change in the giving tree !!!Spoiler Alert!!!

MacHeist Forums » The Backroom » Change in the giving tree !!!Spoiler Alert!!!
techgeek90@gmail.com

techgeek90@gmail.com

Urchin

1 posts

Ever one the giving tree has changed at least for me I have had 5 to 6 friends sign up through the referral and now I am getting iphone app icons that start out small and when you shake your mouse over them get bigger when they are full size they then jiggle but when I click on them it say sorry you did not win. Lets figure this out Christmas would only get better if i got apps for may mac and iphone 3g.

December 23, 2008 4:35 am
JPDyson

JPDyson

Moderator

3,580 posts

techgeek90@gmail.com wrote:

Ever one the giving tree has changed at least for me I have had 5 to 6 friends sign up through the referral and now I am getting iphone app icons that start out small and when you shake your mouse over them get bigger when they are full size they then jiggle but when I click on them it say sorry you did not win. Lets figure this out Christmas would only get better if i got apps for may mac and iphone 3g.

Everybody is seeing this exact same thing - you have to be the first one to click on the icon (so we think) in order to win the app.

PM me | Twitter

December 23, 2008 4:45 am
Pace

Pace

Automaton Tech

from Brussels, Belgium
311 posts

What are you talking about?
Is this thing over?

If so, rats. I guess MacHeist is still EST-centric.

Edit: I realise that promotional codes are only for the US iTunes Store, so the rest of the world is excluded from extra gifts such as this one. Bummer.

Peter "Pace" Craddock

Arpia.be - twaddle, music, novels and Arpia stuff.

December 23, 2008 9:48 am
artist-illustrator.net

artist-illustrator.net

Dirigible Captain

from Manchester, UK
3,027 posts

Sorry, US only


BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

sad

I'm feeling old

December 23, 2008 11:29 am
WhiteFang

WhiteFang

Dirigible Captain

from a cliff in the arctic ocean.
2,847 posts

@AI: Even if it wasn't US-only, there would still be some "Boo-s". There are countries where iTMS isn't available - and people that don't have iPhones/iPod Touch.

My motto today is "don't look a gift horse in the mouth". It's a british/american motto, but I think it fits the bill fairly well smile

(favourite paradox) This page intentionally left blank.

December 23, 2008 11:59 am
emr

emr

Tinkerer

23 posts

WhiteFang wrote:

My motto today is "don't look a gift horse in the mouth".

That's a good motto - in general. However, I fail to see how it applies to the people who don't get the gift horse. wink

December 23, 2008 12:22 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

Moderator

3,580 posts

emr wrote:
WhiteFang wrote:

My motto today is "don't look a gift horse in the mouth".

That's a good motto - in general. However, I fail to see how it applies to the people who don't get the gift horse. wink

Take MacHeist as a whole as the gift horse.

PM me | Twitter

December 23, 2008 12:31 pm
johnred

johnred

Directorate

1,869 posts

jpdyson wrote:

Take MacHeist as a whole as the gift horse.

I know I do.

John Casasanta
MacHeist Director
tap tap tap chief

December 23, 2008 12:40 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

Moderator

3,580 posts

johnred wrote:
jpdyson wrote:

Take MacHeist as a whole as the gift horse.

I know I do.

I'm sure you've had to look past some unpleasant spots to see the big picture. And I know that the Directorate had the conversation about "US-only" App Store codes before you did it. You had your reasons, and a lot of people benefited from it. Surely those people will miss out on other things later, but even if they don't, it'll still be a good time.

[edited for funky verb tense flip-flopping]

PM me | Twitter

December 23, 2008 12:52 pm
Pace

Pace

Automaton Tech

from Brussels, Belgium
311 posts

jpdyson wrote:

I'm sure you've had to look past some unpleasant spots to see the big picture. And I know that the Directorate had the conversation about "US-only" App Store codes before you did it. You had your reasons, and a lot of people benefited from it. Surely those people will miss out on other things later, but even if they don't, it'll still be a good time.

Well said.

Now… I guess I'll have to keep my eyes peeled to see if anything else pops up on the Giving Tree before Christmas Day (by the way, in Belgium, they celebrate Christmas on the 24th, while I know that in the UK, it's on the 25th… so, do we unwrap the presents on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day? – I can't even remember how it went last year).

Peter "Pace" Craddock

Arpia.be - twaddle, music, novels and Arpia stuff.

December 23, 2008 1:11 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

Moderator

3,580 posts

Pace wrote:

Now… I guess I'll have to keep my eyes peeled to see if anything else pops up on the Giving Tree before Christmas Day (by the way, in Belgium, they celebrate Christmas on the 24th, while I know that in the UK, it's on the 25th… so, do we unwrap the presents on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day? – I can't even remember how it went last year).

It will likely be Christmas Day (25 December) UTC -5

PM me | Twitter

December 23, 2008 2:27 pm
WhiteFang

WhiteFang

Dirigible Captain

from a cliff in the arctic ocean.
2,847 posts

@pace: same here in Iceland, presents are unwrapped on the 24th - "after dinner" (usually sometime between 7 and 8 in the evening)

(favourite paradox) This page intentionally left blank.

December 23, 2008 3:31 pm
majicman10211

majicman10211

Automaton Tech

from Pittsburgh, PA
154 posts

Nice, I just won an App. big_smile

MacHeist is sweet.  Period.

December 23, 2008 9:45 pm
JamesRamsay

JamesRamsay

Tinkerer

from Melbourne, Australia
16 posts

The US Store only limitation is very frustrating as I am currently overseas sad

Either way, many thanks MacHeist for this great promotion!

December 23, 2008 10:22 pm
multiuser

multiuser

Gearhead

from Germany, NRW, Duesseldorf
71 posts

I try to use a proxy out of the US. Until now i didn't get the "Only US"-error.
But also i didn't win anything...

December 23, 2008 11:38 pm
william_b

william_b

Gearhead

from UK
96 posts

I'm guessing that's because even though you're tricking the giving tree, iTunes isn't so easily fooled.

Yay for  crumble!

▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

December 24, 2008 12:12 am
kalleboo

kalleboo

Staff

from Kagoshima, Japan
265 posts

multiuser wrote:

I try to use a proxy out of the US. Until now i didn't get the "Only US"-error.
But also i didn't win anything...

Even if you win something through the proxy, iTunes will require you to create an account in the US iTunes store to redeem the code with a US credit card, which you wont be able to provide, and this you'll have wasted a code which could've gone to someone who could use it.

Everything is my fault

December 24, 2008 12:31 am
multiuser

multiuser

Gearhead

from Germany, NRW, Duesseldorf
71 posts

i got a code for motor chaser, and yes, your right. i must have a us account.

December 24, 2008 12:40 am
StarFire78

StarFire78

Urchin

from Antwerp, Belgium
5 posts

pity I didn't win an iPhone.
For people without one, the iphone apps are not really useful sad
But hey, another time I might have more luck.

Let's hope there's some sweet software in the packages tomorrow.

-=StarFire78=-

December 24, 2008 1:30 am
mjweb

mjweb

Sky Pirate

from coast2coast
2,343 posts

Pace wrote:

What are you talking about?
Is this thing over?
If so, rats. I guess MacHeist is still EST-centric.

As in Eastern Standard Time or Werner Erhardt?

www.mjweber.com | Flickr

December 24, 2008 3:08 am

f1kzh

Urchin

1 posts

kalleboo wrote:
multiuser wrote:

I try to use a proxy out of the US. Until now i didn't get the "Only US"-error.
But also i didn't win anything...

Even if you win something through the proxy, iTunes will require you to create an account in the US iTunes store to redeem the code with a US credit card, which you wont be able to provide, and this you'll have wasted a code which could've gone to someone who could use it.

You don't need to have a US credit card to create a US store account.

December 24, 2008 1:36 pm
kalleboo

kalleboo

Staff

from Kagoshima, Japan
265 posts

f1kzh wrote:

You don't need to have a US credit card to create a US store account.

Then, pray tell, how do you do it? I've tried it with a european card with a valid US billing address (that is valid for that address - Apples web store accepts it), and iTunes just says "That card is not valid in the United States".

edit: I guess it's possible with a gift cert or something, but then it wont sync those apps to your iPhone, right?

Everything is my fault

December 24, 2008 3:16 pm
docchaos

docchaos

Gearhead

from Germany
57 posts

I remember having created a (German) account for a friend hwo needed it only to activate his iPhone without giving any credit card at all. But lately I tried the same again for another friend and it didn't work.
Maybe I'm just confusing something.
Anyway if anybody finds out how to do it, please don't tell it here, otherwise I'll spend the time between family-dinner tonight and family-lunch tomorow clicking on wiggling icons. wink

signature is on vacation

December 24, 2008 4:01 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

Moderator

3,580 posts

Or, you know, you could not post it because it's not legal... I have half a mind to burninate it just to be safe.

PM me | Twitter

December 24, 2008 4:31 pm
boboboe

boboboe

Moderator

from Eastern Canada
2,356 posts

kalleboo wrote:
f1kzh wrote:

You don't need to have a US credit card to create a US store account.

Then, pray tell, how do you do it? I've tried it with a european card with a valid US billing address (that is valid for that address - Apples web store accepts it), and iTunes just says "That card is not valid in the United States".

edit: I guess it's possible with a gift cert or something, but then it wont sync those apps to your iPhone, right?

I know a few other Canadians who created accounts with US iTunes gift cards and they have worked fine.

Flickr

December 24, 2008 4:34 pm
docchaos

docchaos

Gearhead

from Germany
57 posts

Well, I didn't post anything illegal. I just said I once managed to create an account without giving any credit card information. This was a valid option back then. Oh, I forgot to mention I am German currently living in Germany, so it is legal for me to create an account for the German iTMS.

signature is on vacation

December 24, 2008 4:36 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

Moderator

3,580 posts

Just because US is the default option doesn't mean you're not lying when you agree to the EULA and Terms of Use which states you provided accurate information.

PM me | Twitter

December 24, 2008 4:55 pm
Loufute

Loufute

Automaton Tech

from Belgium
215 posts

Pace wrote:

(by the way, in Belgium, they celebrate Christmas on the 24th, while I know that in the UK, it's on the 25th… ).

I'm belgian... Actually, it depends on families...
For instance, younger, i had to wait the 25th, at midnight (or few minutes after) to unwrap my presents.
But the tradition has changed. Because off some problems, we entually unwrap them the 24th (toniiiiiight big_smile) after the meal.

But i'm just waitin' tomorrow to see my presents smile Much more now because i hav'nt got the iPhone so i don't play with de tree...yet !

Oh, just let me wish you, mac heist community, a merry crhistmas ! I'm going to see my fammily smile

--------

And about the accounts, I've created my iTunes account but i've never given any information about me...
I can't remember how... I think about somes things : (1) i know that i've had itunes cards, and maybe i just entered a code and itunes accepted me
(2) i've registered my iPod and signed in and this account works for iTunes
(3) i've signed in to purchase on the apple store, i've paid by a transaction (? in french it's called "un virement) and it works for the iTunes store...

French speaker trying to improve his english, solve riddles and get free applications wink
...So, correct me wink
And, yeah, I'm orange smile

December 24, 2008 6:00 pm
Wyldkrd87

Wyldkrd87

Tinkerer

25 posts

I'm so glad Trogdor is here patrolling the forums, burninating the countryside and the peasants and the thatched roofed COTTAGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES.
TROGDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR
sorry, got a little carried away there...

Twitter
Have a Mac? Love fun new Apps and Tweaks? (of course you do, you're on MacHeist!) Check out the Appalooza Podcast!
Appalooza Blog
Subscribe in iTunes Follow us on Twitter!

December 24, 2008 6:10 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

Moderator

3,580 posts

Wyldkrd87 wrote:

I'm so glad Trogdor is here patrolling the forums, burninating the countryside and the peasants and the thatched roofed COTTAGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES.
TROGDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR
sorry, got a little carried away there...

And the Trogdor comes in the NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!

PM me | Twitter

December 24, 2008 6:33 pm
mackmgg

mackmgg

Gearhead

60 posts

you don't need a credit card at all for the us store. i don't have one in mine i just use gift cards and get free stuff and it works fine.

December 24, 2008 9:54 pm
mackmgg

mackmgg

Gearhead

60 posts

is it the first person to click it or just a random person? cuz ive been clickin at about 40-50 clicks a sec so ive prly been first 2 at least one and my internet is 11mbps down 2.1 up.

December 24, 2008 9:57 pm
kalleboo

kalleboo

Staff

from Kagoshima, Japan
265 posts

mackmgg wrote:

is it the first person to click it or just a random person? cuz ive been clickin at about 40-50 clicks a sec so ive prly been first 2 at least one and my internet is 11mbps down 2.1 up.

Only your first click is submitted, so clicking 40-50 times doesn't change anything

Everything is my fault

December 24, 2008 9:58 pm
liquidfired

liquidfired

Tinkerer

21 posts

Can you win on the tree twice or more or you can only get 1 app?

I am a Bugbear and I want to kill you

December 25, 2008 1:13 am
mackmgg

mackmgg

Gearhead

60 posts

kalleboo wrote:
mackmgg wrote:

is it the first person to click it or just a random person? cuz ive been clickin at about 40-50 clicks a sec so ive prly been first 2 at least one and my internet is 11mbps down 2.1 up.

Only your first click is submitted, so clicking 40-50 times doesn't change anything

i meant b4 it started shaking so it would immediatly click wen it did

December 25, 2008 1:48 am
zaydia

zaydia

Automaton Tech

from Washington, DC
224 posts

Sadly I only have Internet on my phone so I expect this will be over by the time I get home tomorrow night sad. (23:50 est)

All's quiet in the Amazon.

December 25, 2008 4:07 am
esherm95

esherm95

Gearhead

58 posts

I dont know y but a whole bunch of app logos have frozen on the tree (including mult. of 2 different apps). I have tried to click on these but they seem not to be clickable.  Does anybody have any idea what this means.

http://www.rewards1.com/index.php?referrer_id=996600

December 25, 2008 4:29 am
JPDyson

JPDyson

Moderator

3,580 posts

esherm95 wrote:

I dont know y but a whole bunch of app logos have frozen on the tree (including mult. of 2 different apps). I have tried to click on these but they seem not to be clickable.  Does anybody have any idea what this means.

It's a bug. Confirmed by Phill in the IRC.

PM me | Twitter

December 25, 2008 4:30 am
devnull000

devnull000

Automaton Tech

from Earth
111 posts

esherm95 wrote:

I dont know y but a whole bunch of app logos have frozen on the tree (including mult. of 2 different apps). I have tried to click on these but they seem not to be clickable.  Does anybody have any idea what this means.

It is a bug, refresh your page. You can take a picture if you want to keep a memory.

Go MacHeist! smile • Get Dropbox • free online backup space: Mac, PC, Unix & iPhone friendly -- using my link gets you & me extra space, thanks for clicking. smile

December 25, 2008 4:30 am
sheldonc

sheldonc

Automaton Tech

129 posts

Meh. Sent out several invites, no friends will sign in. Slackers.

"What? No small-talk? No chit-chat? That's the trouble with the world these days. Nobody takes the time to do a real sinister interrogation. It's a lost art." - James Bond, Goldeneye

December 25, 2008 5:23 am
unetics

unetics

Tinkerer

from Australia
14 posts

what is the last app i cant get it unlocked just want to know if i should bother trying harder

December 25, 2008 11:17 am
Popple

Popple

Automaton Tech

from Kansas
157 posts

unetics wrote:

what is the last app i cant get it unlocked just want to know if i should bother trying harder

It is an application to make ringtones for your iPhone. RingtoneStudio

December 25, 2008 1:47 pm
kalel

kalel

Big Game Hunter

from New York
560 posts

anyone want to give me their code I am happy to take it since I missed out :-(

Get my sticker pack for iOS Messages!
binarynoir.com

▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

December 25, 2008 11:14 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Backroom » Change in the giving tree !!!Spoiler Alert!!!

Become an agent



Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)


As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

 

Login to MacHeist



As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?