Forums

Is/Was the Heist Time-Limited?

MacHeist Forums » The Backroom » Is/Was the Heist Time-Limited?

temmek

Urchin

3 posts

I recently got home, and followed along with the Backroom thread.  I've gone to mainframe.macheist.com and entered the URLs as they came, but nothing ever happens.  I don't see any images filling in.  I don't get any new loot.  All I ever get is the same page with tweets and info boxes scrolling up.

I've tried under FF3 and Safari 3.2, same thing.

Was there a time limit on how quickly this had to be completed?  Has the mission been closed?

January 7, 2009 3:32 am
Timi

Timi

from New York
1,316 posts

Is JavaScript on?
You may have disabled it in both browsers.

Such a small timeframe isn't like MacHeist, so I would doubt it - but I don't know for sure, I completed it smile

January 7, 2009 3:40 am

temmek

Urchin

3 posts

JavaScript is enabled.  I'm running NoScript on FF, so I gave it permissions to run.  I also tried on Safari, which I don't run any script blocking on.  No dice.

January 7, 2009 3:41 am

temmek

Urchin

3 posts

FWIW, I got it to work, for a reason I don't understand at all.  When I copied and pasted the link using command-c and command-v, it didn't work.  When I right-clicked to copy the link location and right-clicked to paste, it worked.

I have absolutely no idea what difference it would make.  But I swear, that is the only thing I did different.

January 7, 2009 5:03 am
Wyldkrd87

Wyldkrd87

Tinkerer

25 posts

I notice similiar behavior on my end as well... I eventually was able to complete the heist, but not without cursing my computer several times when it didn't do what i wanted^^
try actually going to one of the site and copying the url from the address bar, or dragging the image itself into the form field on the mainframe page

Twitter
Have a Mac? Love fun new Apps and Tweaks? (of course you do, you're on MacHeist!) Check out the Appalooza Podcast!
Appalooza Blog
Subscribe in iTunes Follow us on Twitter!

January 7, 2009 5:36 am
petercopu

petercopu

Tinkerer

26 posts

temmek wrote:

FWIW, I got it to work, for a reason I don't understand at all.  When I copied and pasted the link using command-c and command-v, it didn't work.  When I right-clicked to copy the link location and right-clicked to paste, it worked.

I have absolutely no idea what difference it would make.  But I swear, that is the only thing I did different.

Same thing for me - I think the forum automatically shortens urls if they're too long.

January 7, 2009 10:10 am
boboboe

boboboe

from Eastern Canada
2,356 posts

petercopu wrote:
temmek wrote:

Same thing for me - I think the forum automatically shortens urls if they're too long.

That is correct.

If a URL is too long to fit in one line, part of it will be truncated with an elipse. To copy the link without losing past of it, you must right click>Copy Link, or click quote on the post in order to see the full text of the link.

Flickr

January 7, 2009 2:27 pm
boboboe

boboboe

from Eastern Canada
2,356 posts

temmek wrote:

I recently got home, and followed along with the Backroom thread.  I've gone to mainframe.macheist.com and entered the URLs as they came, but nothing ever happens.  I don't see any images filling in.  I don't get any new loot.  All I ever get is the same page with tweets and info boxes scrolling up.

I've tried under FF3 and Safari 3.2, same thing.

Was there a time limit on how quickly this had to be completed?  Has the mission been closed?

Missions usually stay open for up to a week after being posted, so as far as I know, this one is not going to end for a few more days.

Flickr

January 7, 2009 2:28 pm
slashpot

slashpot

Tinkerer

12 posts

Well where has the Mainframe page gone? I had it all the time I was working through the puzzle, then when I finally found the last Url it was gone and wont come back?

First time I reentered the url it said “times up... ” After that when I enter it it just goes to the home page.

Good old Collingwood forever

January 7, 2009 3:49 pm

mofo-x

Urchin

2 posts

Found the issue.

Copy the "Link"  NOT the Image Address.

January 8, 2009 8:18 pm
bliss

bliss

Urchin

6 posts

it seems like the tftp puzzle is unsolvable. Keep getting connection time outs. Any help? I have all the other puzzles solved, just missing the last piece.

January 8, 2009 8:30 pm
drtaru

drtaru

from [REDACTED]
539 posts

the issue with the image location and the link location is the images you see are .pngs and they link to the TGA's therefore you need the .tga link and not the .png link.

---- Andrew Clark Macheist Moderator ----
MaxJG: i just imagined your computer sticking it's finger down it's throat and vomiting up oracle-owned bile
MaxJG: it was weird

January 8, 2009 8:31 pm

mofo-x

Urchin

2 posts

As far as the tftp do it from a mac or unix terminal. From within Windows I kept getting timeouts, when I did it from my macs Terminal it went fine.

January 8, 2009 10:18 pm
f16332

f16332

Sky Pirate

1,135 posts

um ok so how do i do this im kinda new

DropBox Referral: 2.25GB FreeSpace

January 9, 2009 11:01 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Backroom » Is/Was the Heist Time-Limited?

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?