Forums

KavaTunes (nanoMission 1)

MacHeist Forums » The Apps » KavaTunes (nanoMission 1)
davenelson

davenelson

Tinkerer

from Atlanta, GA
21 posts

I think this is a really cool idea and I will be studying some of the PHP to learn more. Thanks to KavaTunes for being a part of MacHeist.

Go Green FTW!

February 7, 2009 10:40 pm
Pace

Pace

Automaton Tech

from Brussels, Belgium
311 posts

cupcake, could it be a Quicktime problem then?

Peter "Pace" Craddock

Arpia.be - twaddle, music, novels and Arpia stuff.

February 7, 2009 11:04 pm
jopari

jopari

Tinkerer

21 posts

I couldn't get it to work in Safari until I installed the latest Quicktime version, for some reason. It worked fine in Minefield/Firefox.

February 7, 2009 11:37 pm
tech

tech

Sky Pirate

from Rantoul, Illinois
1,516 posts

Ok, so I clicked on Kavatunes in my loot, went to the order status, entered my computer number and I get license info for iconquer.  Nothing about Kavatunes.  Assistance please?

BTW, where did the iconquer come from?  Was that in the last mini-pre-heist about a month ago that is no longer in my loot and not on my computer?

<insert out-dated referral link here>

February 7, 2009 11:59 pm
izdale

izdale

Sky Pirate

from the U.S.
1,769 posts

kbublitz wrote:

To those who asked what the purpose of this app is:

This might be useful for people who have a Nintendo Wii. I haven't tried it yet, but if it uses Flash to stream content we may have a winner here. Imagine having your music on TV - only without the apple.

Other Set-top boxes with integrated browser may work too.. It's all about sharing on your local network with some fancy interface. It is not ment to be used on the host computer.

Hope this helps

I doubt it.  Are you meaning through the Opera browser that you can download on the wii?  It only supports up to Flash 7 I think.  I have a wii, and I go to KavaTunes on my website and it says "The browser does not support this plug-in."

Find deals on Mac apps at Mac App Deals

February 8, 2009 12:39 am
izdale

izdale

Sky Pirate

from the U.S.
1,769 posts

jopari wrote:
izdale wrote:

I got KavaTunes to install on my website quite easily, and I can view my music online.  But if I try to choose a song to listen to, it says "Sorry, this song is not available."  My computer connects to the Internet via wifi through a router, do I need to set up port forwarding so that KavaTunes on my website can access the music files on my computer?  Does that also mean that KavaTunes only works if your computer is on??

You might have to set up port forwarding, but try going to the KavaTunes preferences->Music->Share Music->Make Alias. Then rebuild your catalog. This is currently working for me in terms of streaming to my own computer, but I haven't been able to test using a different computer as I'm currently at college, where all ingoing connections are blocked.

Thanks.  I was able to get it to work on my domain.  On my computer, I can now go to mydomain/music and see my music and play it.  But I have had other people try to do it, but they can only see my music.  If they click on a song to play it, there is a blue Q under the song name.

Pace wrote:
pthompsen wrote:

Thanks, Pace, for putting up the live example.  Enjoyed listening to your piano compositions.  So I take it that music publishing is primarily for original recordings that you own the copyrights to?  From the description of KavaTunes on their website, they seem to ignore the issue of copyright.  It sounds like an easy way to share music, legal or otherwise.  I wonder if anyone has tried to put up their entire music library on the internet with KavaTunes, and if there was any consequences for doing so.

Glad you enjoyed the piano compositions smile

When you publish using KavaTunes, a message appears in the footer saying "Don't steal music", but that's pretty much the only mention on the web interface. I believe they do mention copyright somewhere else, though I can't remember where.
Still, the fact that you can't publish online without resorting to manual modifications is probably there precisely because KavaTunes would otherwise be as great a way to share music as peer to peer networks.

Pace, so are you saying that the ONLY way for others to be able to listen to your music is if you modify some of the files as in your instructions?  Because as I said above, anyone not in my local network gets the blue Q under the song name and can't listen to any songs.  Is that because the program isn't set up for that and you have to modify the files, or could my website host not be allowing the streaming?  (Or both?)

Also, I'm guessing that the "Don't steal music" only shows if you upload your catalog with the setting to be able to download the songs.  I want to have my music on my website for people to listen to, but not to be able to download since they aren't songs I wrote.  So I don't have the option to download the songs checked, and I never saw that message.

February 8, 2009 12:49 am

chriscundy

Urchin

from UK
6 posts

whats this computer number about? where do I get that from?

thanks

Visit SudoCafe on Facebook to find and post deals!

February 8, 2009 1:22 am
chrischasecranecook

chrischasecranecook

Sky Pirate

from Shreveport, Louisiana
1,123 posts

To chriscundy:

I see that that was your first post, which usually means that you are new here. To get your computer number and enter it in to get your license, you must open KavaTunes, and through the "serial number" process KavaTunes, itself will give you the computer number.

Laissez les bon temps roulez!

February 8, 2009 1:45 am
astroyuan

astroyuan

Tinkerer

from PSR B1509-58
30 posts

tech wrote:

Ok, so I clicked on Kavatunes in my loot, went to the order status, entered my computer number and I get license info for iconquer.  Nothing about Kavatunes.  Assistance please?

BTW, where did the iconquer come from?  Was that in the last mini-pre-heist about a month ago that is no longer in my loot and not on my computer?

I encountered the same problem sad
Now I have "TWO" iConquer licenses.../sigh
I want my KavaTunes license.../cry

http://www.macheist.com/bundle/u/38485/

February 8, 2009 2:54 am
vander121

vander121

Tinkerer

11 posts

I finished the nano mission but KavaTunes doesn't show up in my loot. I only got the other two apps. Anybody else run into this?

Ideas are bulletproof.

February 8, 2009 3:23 am
forevermac

forevermac

Automaton Tech

from The Interwebz
496 posts

astroyuan wrote:
tech wrote:

iConquer is from the giving tree, and kavatunes should be there. Did you click the second window "Get my license"?

Wow. MacHeist 4. I can't believe it's actually happening.
Unfortunately, it looks like I'm sitting this one out because of aggressive version requirements. It's been real.

February 8, 2009 3:27 am
tourmania

tourmania

Urchin

1 posts

Can someone tell me how to get my license code for kavatunes, when I go to the order page I need to put in my credit card.

February 8, 2009 4:04 am
jopari

jopari

Tinkerer

21 posts

For those with copyright concerns: you can configure the program to require a username and password, which should make it obvious that you're using it for personal use only.

February 8, 2009 4:21 am
harque

harque

Gearhead

71 posts

tourmania wrote:

Can someone tell me how to get my license code for kavatunes, when I go to the order page I need to put in my credit card.

You don't need your credit card. On your KavaTunes Loot page you'll see your email, and Transaction ID. Enter those  on the store order page. You also need to enter your computer # which you get when you launch the KavaTunes application. When you've submitted that info a page will come up with your iConquer license. Submit the page again and you'll see your KavaTunes license.

February 8, 2009 4:33 am
tech

tech

Sky Pirate

from Rantoul, Illinois
1,516 posts

harque wrote:
tourmania wrote:

You don't need your credit card. On your KavaTunes Loot page you'll see your email, and Transaction ID. Enter those  on the store order page. You also need to enter your computer # which you get when you launch the KavaTunes application. When you've submitted that info a page will come up with your iConquer license. Submit the page again and you'll see your KavaTunes license.

Maybe I'm blind but all I see on the loot page is:

Your license
Open KavaTunes to get your computer number. Enter your details and computer number on the KavaSoft order page to receive the license key.

February 8, 2009 6:16 am
garfalk

garfalk

Tinkerer

45 posts

now all i need is a website.

February 8, 2009 6:39 am
harque

harque

Gearhead

71 posts

tech wrote:
harque wrote:
tourmania wrote:

Maybe I'm blind but all I see on the loot page is:

Your license
Open KavaTunes to get your computer number. Enter your details and computer number on the KavaSoft order page to receive the license key.

Here's what I see…
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/1001/kavatuneslootpageub0.png
…maybe they're still being processed.

February 8, 2009 6:43 am
astroyuan

astroyuan

Tinkerer

from PSR B1509-58
30 posts

forevermac wrote:
astroyuan wrote:
tech wrote:

iConquer is from the giving tree, and kavatunes should be there. Did you click the second window "Get my license"?

Nope. I followed the instruction~
I entered my email and the computer number, then clicked 'Order Status'...
Then I found it gave me ANOTHER iConQuer License.../sigh
I dunno why? What should I do now?

http://www.macheist.com/bundle/u/38485/

February 8, 2009 7:17 am
Pace

Pace

Automaton Tech

from Brussels, Belgium
311 posts

izdale wrote:

Pace, so are you saying that the ONLY way for others to be able to listen to your music is if you modify some of the files as in your instructions?  Because as I said above, anyone not in my local network gets the blue Q under the song name and can't listen to any songs.  Is that because the program isn't set up for that and you have to modify the files, or could my website host not be allowing the streaming?  (Or both?)

As far as I can tell, modifying the files is indeed the only way, because the info.php file in question uses links to files that are on your computer.
It might be that the developers preferred not to include such an option.
I believe the blue Q appears when files are unavailable, and if KavaTunes makes references to your computer, it's understandable that the files won't be available outside the local network.

izdale wrote:

Also, I'm guessing that the "Don't steal music" only shows if you upload your catalog with the setting to be able to download the songs.  I want to have my music on my website for people to listen to, but not to be able to download since they aren't songs I wrote.  So I don't have the option to download the songs checked, and I never saw that message.

Heh, interesting find.

Peter "Pace" Craddock

February 8, 2009 7:36 am
pernordin

pernordin

Gearhead

from Sweden
57 posts

Seems like an interesting app. So I can publish my iTunes library for anyone to listen? And d/l? (hummm... that opens a few copyright questions, but thats another discussion).

I can find great use of this to publish my own music to my friends. But since the app is locked to one computer, I will wait with registering it until I decide what computer to use it on, and that can take a while. Or should I get a MacMini just to run it? Hummm.... Or can I have this run from my web hotel (unix and has php)? Now that would be great for me.

Anyhow, thanks MacHeist! smile

Growing old only means having a young spirit stuck in an old body
http://www.myspace.com/pernordin

February 8, 2009 10:46 am
ThePoetEMrys

ThePoetEMrys

Gearhead

58 posts

Is there a way to use KavaTunes if you don't have your own non-MobileMe website?  And if there isn't, does anyone know of a free webhost that works with KavaTunes?

All I know is that I don't know nothing!

GO GREEN!

February 8, 2009 11:05 am
pernordin

pernordin

Gearhead

from Sweden
57 posts

jopari wrote:

For those with copyright concerns: you can configure the program to require a username and password, which should make it obvious that you're using it for personal use only.

Yes, but the concern is actually that you can skip that and make the library available for anyone to d/l.

And if you need to configure the program to require username and password, it means it is not set to that by default, therefore by default (?) making it possible to publish your library so anyone can access the music... that is where the concern is.

I really want to avoid a copyright discussion here, but wanted to comment on the post anyhow, just to clarify.    ...sorry.

Growing old only means having a young spirit stuck in an old body
http://www.myspace.com/pernordin

February 8, 2009 11:13 am

billguppy

Urchin

1 posts

In retrieving the license key for KavaTunes from their website, I thought I'd try it for iConquer and it worked! Two for not even the price of one. I wonder if it'll work for some of the other KavaSoft wares?

February 8, 2009 11:13 am
patrick1985

patrick1985

Gearhead

from Gelsenkirchen Germany
68 posts

@harque: here is what i see

http://www.quicksnapper.com/files/176/2111895482498EBE99DA367_m.png

Twitter cool PM me cool me at chi.mp
LETS GO TEAM ORANGE!!!!!
Buy the GREAT Macheist Bundle

February 8, 2009 11:15 am
jazzyguy

jazzyguy

Automaton Tech

114 posts

I felt that if you won an app (like KavaTunes) and you are a single user you can install it and register it on any of your Macs.Apparently in the example of KavaTunes I am wrong. The registration ONLY applies to one Mac. I am somewhat disappointed in this posture that the developer takes and I am wondering if this is in accord with the policies and credo of MacHeist. Shovebox and others have no such policy.Maybe an administrator can correct me if I am wrong. Perhaps MacHeist gives the developers that participate in the awards the largess to limit the Registration to one computer. I could be wrong here but I had always labored under the idea that asa Single User you could register the awarded applications on any Mac you owned.

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress"-Mark Twain

February 8, 2009 4:07 pm
artist-illustrator.net

artist-illustrator.net

Dirigible Captain

from Manchester, UK
3,027 posts

jazzyguy wrote:

I felt that if you won an app (like KavaTunes) and you are a single user you can install it and register it on any of your Macs.Apparently in the example of KavaTunes I am wrong. The registration ONLY applies to one Mac. I am somewhat disappointed in this posture that the developer takes and I am wondering if this is in accord with the policies and credo of MacHeist. Shovebox and others have no such policy.Maybe an administrator can correct me if I am wrong. Perhaps MacHeist gives the developers that participate in the awards the largess to limit the Registration to one computer. I could be wrong here but I had always labored under the idea that asa Single User you could register the awarded applications on any Mac you owned.

Different devs have different policies on that. Its nothing to do with MacHeist.

I'm feeling old

February 8, 2009 4:49 pm

Steve@Frawleys.com

Urchin

2 posts

The number I got won't even work on the one computer?!?

February 8, 2009 6:13 pm
ferret

ferret

Gearhead

from Central New York
64 posts

Had no problems registering once I followed the instructions here.

TIP #1: Once you have your machine number showing in KavaTunes' registration dialog box, copy the number, CLOSE the dialog box, then go to Kavasoft's web site and complete the registration process. When your registration number is displayed on their website you can click on it and it will automatically be entered into KavaTunes.

TIP #2: Even if you don't use it for the intended purpose, as cianmm mentioned it has a pretty good artwork retriever built in. Found lots of things iTunes wouldn't find (it locates via through amazon.com and maybe others).

▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

February 8, 2009 6:38 pm
izdale

izdale

Sky Pirate

from the U.S.
1,769 posts

Pace wrote:
izdale wrote:

Heh, interesting find.

Ok, I was wrong about the don't steal music message.  I thought you were saying that a message popped up when you went to publish your catalog.  But on my actual webpage with KavaTunes, it does have that message at the bottom despite me not having the option to download songs.

Pace wrote:

- find "$http_music_path", and change the path to the one to the folder in which you'll be uploading all your music (in my case, "$http_music_path = 'http://www.arpia.be/kavatunes/music/';") [I also changed the "$file_music_path" in the same way, though it might not be necessary)
- next, upload all your music files to the aforementioned folder, but respect the file structure adopted by your iTunes Library (so inside the music folder, you'll find folders with the artists' names, and inside them the albums)

At least, that works for me.

One other question Pace in regards to your instructions.  Besides modifying certain files, are you saying that any song that you want to be available for listening outside of your network actually has to be uploaded to your website?  If that's the case, what I want may be too much work, to get my entire library of music on the web for listening (but not downloading).

February 8, 2009 8:10 pm
Pace

Pace

Automaton Tech

from Brussels, Belgium
311 posts

izdale wrote:

One other question Pace in regards to your instructions.  Besides modifying certain files, are you saying that any song that you want to be available for listening outside of your network actually has to be uploaded to your website?  If that's the case, what I want may be too much work, to get my entire library of music on the web for listening (but not downloading).

Yes, you need to upload the music files. Uploading an entire library is rather unreasonable, unless you have many GBs of hosting and a few days/weeks to upload them wink

Peter "Pace" Craddock

February 8, 2009 8:26 pm
brianwilson71

brianwilson71

Urchin

4 posts

I think I'm doing something stupid as I can't seem to request my licence key.

Here is what I am doing:

1) Starting KaraTunes
2) Copying the computer Number
3) Closing KavaTunes completely
4) Clicking on the order page link in my loot
5) Entering my email (same as I use on Macheist), entering Transaction ID: 7W8109754E5303021 (as supplied on the order page, pasting Computer number I copied in step 2.

I then get error: No orders were found with the email address <my email address>

What am I doing wrong?

Regards, /Brian

"Allow me to assure you, that suspicion and jealousy never did help any man in any situation."

Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)

February 8, 2009 8:36 pm
izdale

izdale

Sky Pirate

from the U.S.
1,769 posts

Thanks for the help Pace.  I do actually have the necessary GB storage but if I just choose a few playlists, it wouldn't take as long to upload.

So to sum up KavaTunes for other people, if you don't have more than one computer, you probably wouldn't have a use for the normal functions of the app, unless you would rather listen to your music through a web browser tongue  I suppose you could maybe use the program and access your music through a gaming console with a web browser if it was on the same network, but it doesn't work with the Wii Opera browser.

February 8, 2009 9:32 pm
tech

tech

Sky Pirate

from Rantoul, Illinois
1,516 posts

harque wrote:

…maybe they're still being processed.

I'm guessing that's the case as now there is something there and everything is working.

February 9, 2009 4:04 am
chrischasecranecook

chrischasecranecook

Sky Pirate

1,123 posts

Processed?

February 9, 2009 4:35 am
Eggbert

Eggbert

Sky Pirate

from Canada
1,226 posts

I'm still waiting for the email with my registration code.

February 9, 2009 4:51 am
jackiebow

jackiebow

Tinkerer

from New York
25 posts

Don't think i'll be using this app much, since i use a laptop and move it around a lot...but neat and worth playing with anyway :0

Go Green.

February 9, 2009 5:54 am
monicaparrillo

monicaparrillo

Tinkerer

from Ithaca, NY
40 posts

jackiebow wrote:

Don't think i'll be using this app much, since i use a laptop and move it around a lot...but neat and worth playing with anyway :0

Yeah, I don't think I'll be using it much at all, seeing as I am currently at University where I get in trouble if I go over my allowed internet usage/month.

One small step for man, one giant step for an ant.
Green is the color of victory!

February 9, 2009 6:10 am
phlippy22

phlippy22

Urchin

from DC
6 posts

I've got it set up on my Hack Pro desktop, serving my password-protected iTunes library directly through KavaTunes' symbolic link of my music directory to teh interwebz. Now, with a DynDNS domain name, some port-forwarding (made simple with Tomato), and a little messing around, I can delete most of the music off my laptop and stream it with any Internet connection. As someone else said, I tried setting up Jinzora with MAMP and it was such a pain in the ass that I never got around to making it work well. Thanks MacHeist!

Skate away like "Later, dudes"
Never get caught baby I'm mashed potato smooth

February 9, 2009 6:44 am
sommerschris

sommerschris

Automaton Tech

from PDX
179 posts

Love these new apps, they ROCK!

mal ad osteo

February 9, 2009 8:20 am
CarterA

CarterA

Gearhead

62 posts

Haven't gotten my registration number yet, but I've tried out the app...

In all honesty, not very useful, functional, effective, efficient, or impressive (design or code-wise.)

Want some good mac apps? Go elsewhere. Want some interesting and possibly good mac apps? Go to my site... opt-6.com

February 9, 2009 8:29 am
WebKarnage

WebKarnage

Big Game Hunter

from UK
776 posts

To anyone like Brian Wilson copying the computer number from Kava Tunes, don't then close Kava Tunes as it will automatically register it if you have it open!

iConquer was on the Giving Tree, and they appear to be assuming that anyone involved in this nano Mission was on the giving tree too. Cool!

with best regards,
Karn.

The Optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds, the Pessimist fears this is true.

February 9, 2009 9:07 am
tetoteto89

tetoteto89

Automaton Tech

from Italy
116 posts

This app looks really cool, but has anyone received the license yet? Because the site says it will take 72 hours but I don't know if Saturday and Sunday are considered or not...(even if I'm afraid they aren't)
By the way I have a question:
my iTunes library chas up to 1000 songs and Kavatunes library has 393 songs... what's the matter?
Notice that my library is totally "organised" in the itunes music directory... so..?

just Me!!
Matteo
PS:I love Mac!
go Orange Team!

February 9, 2009 1:14 pm
mooseworks

mooseworks

Automaton Tech

from Manchester UK
350 posts

Love the idea but carrying all my music around on my mac & my iPhone, I can't see why I would need it nor why anyone else would want to listen to my music.

nice app, just not for me this one.

http://www.mooseworks.co.uk/
http://blog.alexgreen.co.uk/
http://www.alexgreen.co.uk/

February 9, 2009 1:16 pm
Island Dog

Island Dog

Tinkerer

23 posts

Haven't gotten the registration e-mail either.

February 9, 2009 1:56 pm
Pace

Pace

Automaton Tech

from Brussels, Belgium
311 posts

tetoteto89 wrote:

my iTunes library chas up to 1000 songs and Kavatunes library has 393 songs... what's the matter?
Notice that my library is totally "organised" in the itunes music directory... so..?

Until you register, KavaTunes won't use your whole library.

Peter "Pace" Craddock

February 9, 2009 4:54 pm
vortigern

vortigern

Automaton Tech

from Cymru
289 posts

I had problems getting it to work on the local machine. restarting the webserving service after switching on PHP in the app helped to get past the PHP not found page. But then I could play none of my tracks even though they were listed. Turns out to be simple, the webserver did not have read access to my music folder! So if you are having that problem make sure that you have allowed read access to you music folder.

'sdim ots!

February 9, 2009 5:50 pm
sk00

sk00

Tinkerer

from Los Angeles, CA
13 posts

Pace wrote:
izdale wrote:

Yes, you need to upload the music files. Uploading an entire library is rather unreasonable, unless you have many GBs of hosting and a few days/weeks to upload them wink

Really?  It seemed like it was trying to stream from my machine, just not working.

▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team ▙▚▚▜

February 9, 2009 9:45 pm
chrischasecranecook

chrischasecranecook

Sky Pirate

1,123 posts

Based on what I've seen, it wouldn't appear that anyone that is using KavaTunes is getting a website running correctly.

February 9, 2009 9:48 pm
frod007

frod007

Tinkerer

from Fredonia, NY
30 posts

So, I'm a little confused about this app. The only purpose of it is to be able to stream your iTunes library to your website so that people can listen to it. Which means that it probably isn't useful unless I plan on using another computer for an extended period of time and am too lazy to carry my iPod with me? (also, why not just use pandora, last.fm, or slacker?) I hate to be negative, but this just doesn't sound like an app that is even useful to the person who owns it, with the exception of making their website cooler (or publishing their own songs). Please let me know if I'm missing something here.

GO ORANGE

February 10, 2009 2:28 am
jlupini

jlupini

Tinkerer

from Victoria, BC
35 posts

Can't get FTP to work sad

"He felt that his life was some sort of dream and often wondered whose it was and if they were enjoying it." - Douglas Adams

Boom Da Ya Da - Go Green Monkeys!

February 10, 2009 5:25 am
MacHeist Forums » The Apps » KavaTunes (nanoMission 1)

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?