5 posts

Ok ppl, lets go, spill it, what's up?

December 20, 2008 5:41 am
spyker3292

spyker3292

Sky Pirate

from WI
1,728 posts

Well... there are some presents. You download them. Then on Christmas, more presents. Profit!

Tweet! | Flickr
Go Green Monkeys Go!

December 20, 2008 5:57 am

nsutton

Urchin

5 posts

is there something wrong with mine? the presents are missing. am i on the naughty list? wink

December 20, 2008 6:00 am

fidgety

Urchin

1 posts

what are the 2 for referring friends?

December 20, 2008 6:44 am
nutznboltz2003

nutznboltz2003

Urchin

from Nebraska
9 posts

fidgety wrote:

what are the 2 for referring friends?

and how many friends does one need to refere?

There are 10 types of people in the world.  Those that understand binary and those that do not.

December 20, 2008 6:58 am
Adrammelech

Adrammelech

Big Game Hunter

from Gallifrey
626 posts

We won't know what the gifts will be until Christmas day...

...and you need to refer at least two friends who sign up to MacHeist through the link provided in their email for the gifts to appear. If you refer two friends and only one registers, you'll need to keep referring friends until another one signs up...

Referrals:
Free*My*Apps: Discover great iOS apps. Get rewarded!
FreeAppSlots: Play Slots & WIN!
Bing Rewards: Search Bing, earn credits towards rewards!

December 20, 2008 8:59 am
BigMark

BigMark

Sky Pirate

from Kent, UK.
1,542 posts

Adrammelech wrote:

...and you need to refer at least two friends who sign up to MacHeist through the link provided in their email for the gifts to appear. If you refer two friends and only one registers, you'll need to keep referring friends until another one signs up...

Now I'm wondering whether I've messed up....

I've referred 4 friends, the first straight away whilst on the Giving Tree page that I clicked from link in the email I received.

The others I'm pretty sure I went on the page from a bookmarked link I had already setup to check what was happening on the page.

I'm wondering how MH would know that those referrals came from me?

Mark.

December 20, 2008 10:36 am
Adrammelech

Adrammelech

Big Game Hunter

from Gallifrey
626 posts

BigMark wrote:
Adrammelech wrote:

Now I'm wondering whether I've messed up....

I've referred 4 friends, the first straight away whilst on the Giving Tree page that I clicked from link in the email I received.

The others I'm pretty sure I went on the page from a bookmarked link I had already setup to check what was happening on the page.

I'm wondering how MH would know that those referrals came from me?

Mark.

To tell you the truth, I'm not that sure. I do know that it works smile
Probably some code on the link they receive in their email that identifies you...

Referrals:

December 20, 2008 10:45 am

djaka

Urchin

2 posts

I just got enigmo 2
thanks

December 20, 2008 10:46 am
BigMark

BigMark

Sky Pirate

from Kent, UK.
1,542 posts

Adrammelech wrote:

To tell you the truth, I'm not that sure. I do know that it works smile
Probably some code on the link they receive in their email that identifies you...

1 of my bonus gifts is now ready for Christmas Day so at least 1 of my links went through successfully.

I guess I need to wait and see if the other does too.

Thanks for the help,

Mark.

December 20, 2008 3:31 pm
spyker3292

spyker3292

Sky Pirate

from WI
1,728 posts

Oh referrals? Well, you invite two friends by typing in their emails. If they go to the site and sign up for MacHeist they won't be gray anymore. Then on Christmas you can get em.

Tweet! | Flickr
Go Green Monkeys Go!

December 20, 2008 3:50 pm
Timi

Timi

from New York
1,316 posts

Spoiler:
When you invite two people, you get no presents!
http://i40.tinypic.com/jggx21.png

December 20, 2008 8:09 pm
WhiteFang

WhiteFang

Dirigible Captain

from a cliff in the arctic ocean.
2,847 posts

Well..

http://www.orku.net/~thor/gifts.png
It worked for me...

(unhelpful, I know, but at least it's not completely broken smile)

(favourite paradox) This page intentionally left blank.

December 20, 2008 8:28 pm

maherelharake

Urchin

3 posts

is it true if you click the ornaments in a certain order you reveal something else?

December 20, 2008 9:13 pm

maherelharake

Urchin

3 posts

because for some reason i dont believe it

December 20, 2008 9:15 pm
WhiteFang

WhiteFang

Dirigible Captain

2,847 posts

It's not true.

December 20, 2008 9:20 pm
ravenite14

ravenite14

Automaton Tech

from New York, NY
164 posts

The giving tree seems to not play nice with Firefox, use Safari to see your gifts.

When you say "I wrote a program that crashed Windows", people just stare at you blankly and say 'Hey, I got those with the system, *for free*'. - Linus Torvalds
GO TEAM ORANGE

December 20, 2008 9:20 pm
WhiteFang

WhiteFang

Dirigible Captain

2,847 posts

@ravenite14: actually it plays fairly well with the latest firefox:
http://www.orku.net/~thor/givingff.png

What problems are you having ?

Also: this thread doesn't belong in the back room - it should be partially moved to the support section. The back-room is for heist-related discussions.

December 20, 2008 9:25 pm
ravenite14

ravenite14

Automaton Tech

from New York, NY
164 posts

I'm running the latest firefox, but at least for me, the tree didn't want to show my gifts. My friend had the same problem. Safari has worked great for both of us.
It seems to work fine now though...

When you say "I wrote a program that crashed Windows", people just stare at you blankly and say 'Hey, I got those with the system, *for free*'. - Linus Torvalds
GO TEAM ORANGE

December 20, 2008 10:13 pm
Timi

Timi

from New York
1,316 posts

My problems are with Safari.  And I hate Firefox, so I'm not even going to go try.

December 20, 2008 10:47 pm

tdownerd

Urchin

1 posts

Will I be able to open my presents after Christmas?  I won't be in town all week, return on the 29th, will I then be able to unwrap my gifts?

December 20, 2008 11:48 pm
Adrammelech

Adrammelech

Big Game Hunter

from Gallifrey
626 posts

Person1229 wrote:

My problems are with Safari.  And I hate Firefox, so I'm not even going to go try.

My gifts are showing since John posted saying they had a problem and that was resolved. And I'm using Safari too...

Referrals:

December 21, 2008 12:03 am
phillryu

phillryu

Administrator

1,569 posts

tdownerd wrote:

Will I be able to open my presents after Christmas?  I won't be in town all week, return on the 29th, will I then be able to unwrap my gifts?

You should be able to pick up your gifts a few days late, but try to do it as fast as you can, these won't last forever.

Co-Creator of MacHeist, Clear, Partner at tap tap tap | follow me on twitter

December 21, 2008 12:30 am

chronoslynx

Tinkerer

21 posts

Works great with FF3; haven't had any problems yet

December 21, 2008 4:30 am
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

phillryu wrote:
tdownerd wrote:

You should be able to pick up your gifts a few days late, but try to do it as fast as you can, these won't last forever.

Yeah, last year there was no small amount of teeth-gnashing over the requirement to open the gifts on Christmas day. I think having a little bit of a time window is a good idea.

PM me | Twitter

December 21, 2008 4:33 am
newsdork

newsdork

Sky Pirate

from Tennessee
1,477 posts

jpdyson wrote:

Yeah, last year there was no small amount of teeth-gnashing over the requirement to open the gifts on Christmas day. I think having a little bit of a time window is a good idea.

I remember this now! I'd forgotten that I'd gotten up on Christmas day, and the kids were hopping around the Christmas tree, and I'm over on the computer all excited to see what *I* got for Christmas. Hilarious. Makes me excited for Christmas day too!

Sometimes I feel so blue
It makes me twitter.

December 21, 2008 5:02 am
zaydia

zaydia

Automaton Tech

from Washington, DC
224 posts

phillryu wrote:
tdownerd wrote:

great, thank you! that was my question as well.

All's quiet in the Amazon.

December 21, 2008 5:07 am
zas3k

zas3k

Urchin

5 posts

Anyone have some clues about tree ornaments mentioned in The Giving Tree Returns Topic?

December 21, 2008 5:26 pm
jthurman9673

jthurman9673

Automaton Tech

from Springfield, MO
136 posts

zas3k wrote:

Anyone have some clues about tree ornaments mentioned in The Giving Tree Returns Topic?

It's a joke about past heists.  You are on the right track given you need to consider all suggestions, but most are mire suggestions and not clues.

December 21, 2008 5:31 pm
reesmaxwell

reesmaxwell

Automaton Tech

from Eugene, OR
383 posts

zas3k wrote:

maherelharake wrote:

is it true if you click the ornaments in a certain order you reveal something else?

Yea, if you read the clues, you'll see my mention of a "BS filter".  I had though that would give it away, since that is what my generation calls watching for Bullsh**.  But apparently, that phrase didn't get passed down.

What is important is to really check everything out, not taking anything for granted. During MHII, it was eventually discovered that you could move one of the paintings hanging on the homepage of MH.  Loot was hidden behind there.  I would have never thought to look there. So after each MH my senses are heightened.

I actually clicked on the ornaments myself, just checking to see if there was anything hidden.  So, my trickery for you all came about because I had thought it possible that Phill & Gang had tried to pull some trickery on me.

Similarly, when someone discussed the odd look of mhstatic, and then someone on the inside put up a page full of static (like an old TV), I actually crossed my eyes, looking for a MagicEye type effect. I half expected to either find a clue, or at least see Hubert in 3D ... no such luck.  But I'm always looking, poking around, reading source code, etc.

And so should you!

What? Another MacHeist adventure is upon us? Fantastic!

December 22, 2008 4:58 am
zas3k

zas3k

Urchin

5 posts

reesmaxwell wrote:

Yea, if you read the clues, you'll see my mention of a "BS filter".  I had though that would give it away, since that is what my generation calls watching for Bullsh**.  But apparently, that phrase didn't get passed down.
!

I thought that U mean brush stroke filters wink, i checked the source code, checked all images under firefox, but found nothing

December 22, 2008 9:02 pm
bensor

bensor

Automaton Tech

from Colorado
222 posts

I have no clue. What's the order?

December 22, 2008 9:16 pm
MacAndy

MacAndy

Automaton Tech

from Bavaria
116 posts

It's so cool, thank you MacHeist!

I can't wait till Christmas so I put the clock of my Mac to 25th of Dezember and unwrap the gifts... ;-)

I couldn't wait, I was so inquisitive...

Andi

Andreas
Get DropBox - 2 GB + 250 MB for free
▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

December 22, 2008 11:18 pm

ipodrulz

Urchin

6 posts

Aww.. does this not work with Canadian citizens sad

December 23, 2008 6:21 am
definetheline

definetheline

Sky Pirate

from Canada
1,512 posts

ipodrulz wrote:

Aww.. does this not work with Canadian citizens sad

Boooooooo…

Nothing they can do about it though. That's Apple's problem.

the greatest blog known to mankind / twitter / flickr

December 23, 2008 2:32 pm
zapzack

zapzack

Automaton Tech

from USA
246 posts

Anyone know what software might be offered?

December 23, 2008 5:14 pm
dadoftheyear

dadoftheyear

Urchin

from Eastern Idaho
2 posts

If you triple click anywhere outside the digg post you will see where all of the new items will be popping up. smile  I would attach a screen shot, but I can't do that yet, as this is my first post.

December 23, 2008 10:28 pm

softlover

Urchin

4 posts

how do you win.
all i get is a lump of coal.Do you get a app by shoting on twitter..or what

December 23, 2008 10:53 pm
GrooveMachine

GrooveMachine

Tinkerer

from Portland, OR
24 posts

softlover wrote:

how do you win.
all i get is a lump of coal.Do you get a app by shoting on twitter..or what

You win by being the one that wins, pretty much.  It's kind of luck, it appears.  I've clicked probably 70, and haven't won once, while others have clicked once and won (looking at you, Warbrain).

Green Monkeys

December 23, 2008 11:24 pm
multiuser

multiuser

Gearhead

from Germany, NRW, Duesseldorf
71 posts

i think the first who clicks on the dancing icon gets the code.
i clicked 70 times in one second, just before it started to jump - an won motor chaser.

December 24, 2008 12:44 am
devnull000

devnull000

Automaton Tech

from Earth
111 posts

What is with the gifts that are not clickable, they just dance and go away?

1st one I saw had "$4.20" in it, the 2nd was a bumble bee.

Go MacHeist! smile • Get Dropbox • free online backup space: Mac, PC, Unix & iPhone friendly -- using my link gets you & me extra space, thanks for clicking. smile

December 24, 2008 12:53 am
Popple

Popple

Automaton Tech

from Kansas
157 posts

@devnull000: Those are iPhone/iPod touch Apps.  They start growing from the tree and if you are the first person to click on it when it is wiggling, then you win it for free.  I won a Mahjong Solitaire game earlier today!

Twitter

December 24, 2008 1:03 am
devnull000

devnull000

Automaton Tech

from Earth
111 posts

MJanssen2009 wrote:

@devnull000: Those are iPhone/iPod touch Apps.  They start growing from the tree and if you are the first person to click on it when it is wiggling, then you win it for free.  I won a Mahjong Solitaire game earlier today!

Yep, I got that. What I saw and click on was 2 different icons. They did not give me any coal (or an app).

At least I am getting enough coal to keep me warm for the winter. ;-)

Go MacHeist! smile • Get Dropbox • free online backup space: Mac, PC, Unix & iPhone friendly -- using my link gets you & me extra space, thanks for clicking. smile

December 24, 2008 1:05 am
kracker

kracker

Big Game Hunter

from I'm right behind you!
550 posts

yay! finally won a app

to those wondering you do not have to post anything on twitter nor is it who clicks first.

You are now reading my signature

December 24, 2008 1:41 am
Popple

Popple

Automaton Tech

from Kansas
157 posts

pranavprakash1 wrote:

yay! finally won a app

to those wondering you do not have to post anything on twitter nor is it who clicks first.

What is the secret then?

Twitter

December 24, 2008 4:13 am
squawky

squawky

Big Game Hunter

from Miskatonic University
775 posts

The secret is luck - it appears to be a random drawing of all the people who click on the app when it's bouncing.

"I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues." -- Duke Ellington

December 24, 2008 4:24 am
devnull000

devnull000

Automaton Tech

from Earth
111 posts

I figured out what happened with not being able to click on 2 icons. They were on the bottom left of the tree. It seems that if an icon appears in that area, you need to refresh the page to move the position of the icon so that you can then click on it.

[Edit to note]
If you refresh the page & you have icons left on the tree, you will probably loose them! See my post below this. I don't know if the icons remaining on the tree mean anything.

Mods: can you look into this as it appears to be a bug (the part about not being able to click on icons on the lower left corner of the tree).
I am on Mac OS 10.4.11 & Safari 3.1.2.

December 24, 2008 4:25 am
devnull000

devnull000

Automaton Tech

from Earth
111 posts

Has anyone noticed that some of the icons are staying on the tree after you click them?  I didn't get a stocking with coal or a note that I won the app after clicking them. The icons are STILL clickable, what gives??? I'm hoping it means I (and anyone else in the same situation) gets to have all the apps -- yea, nice presents!

Thanks MacHeist even if I get the coal -- it should make for a warm winter.

December 24, 2008 4:31 am
doctor

doctor

Automaton Tech

from Minnesnowta
279 posts

I also have 4 icons remaining on the tree after the shake/click routine.

Proud member of Team Green
My DropBox referral

December 24, 2008 6:09 am
Bernstein229

Bernstein229

Automaton Tech

172 posts

devnull000 wrote:

Has anyone noticed that some of the icons are staying on the tree after you click them?  I didn't get a stocking with coal or a note that I won the app after clicking them. The icons are STILL clickable, what gives??? I'm hoping it means I (and anyone else in the same situation) gets to have all the apps -- yea, nice presents!

Thanks MacHeist even if I get the coal -- it should make for a warm winter.

Actually, if you get coal you can sell it for more than the apps most of us get.

Nothing rhymes with orange.
Twitter
Here's a link for an extra 250mb on dropbox.

December 24, 2008 7:39 am
MacHeist Forums » The Backroom » Giving Tree Spoilers

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?