Forums

The Giving Tree Returns

MacHeist Forums » The Front » The Giving Tree Returns
davekriss

davekriss

Gearhead

69 posts

Thank you for the gifts!

December 20, 2008 2:56 am
t5tr

t5tr

Automaton Tech

270 posts

lol Thanks for the gifts and congratulations! Very nice idea!

I guess MH III won't be started: MH III will boot... wink

.:;-= 60 6r33n !
"But you've heard of MH3."

December 20, 2008 3:14 am
reesmaxwell

reesmaxwell

Automaton Tech

from Eugene, OR
383 posts

Okay, since I'm being PM'd about the 'bonus app' on the Giving Tree site, I have one more hint for those folks who haven't found it yet:

  Take a screenshot of the page, import into Photoshop, and then apply the BS filter. Capish?

What? Another MacHeist adventure is upon us? Fantastic!

December 20, 2008 3:36 am
Chriswan

Chriswan

Sky Pirate

from Jakarta, Indonesia
1,194 posts

Wow, Enigmo 2... Thanks!

Can't wait until they reveal the 2 mystery referral apps, have sent 11 e-mails

and posted a invite link in an internet forum

Hope that the prospect of free apps will make 1 of those 11 people join macheist (if they haven't join of course)

@reesmaxwell: I don't have Photoshop, care to post a screenshot later? Thanks big_smile

Edit: Woo hoo got one already...

Thanks a Lot

December 20, 2008 3:40 am
Aranittara

Aranittara

Automaton Tech

107 posts

what do you have to have your friends do to get the bonus Apps?

Wait, watch, listen, link.
Life is a puzzle to be solved with a think.

December 20, 2008 4:09 am
Chriswan

Chriswan

Sky Pirate

from Jakarta, Indonesia
1,194 posts

your friend clicked you referal link, and then they have to sign-up on Macheist by clicking the brown sign-up button on the giving tree page

Thanks a Lot

December 20, 2008 4:13 am
kronos

kronos

Tinkerer

from Manila
42 posts

can someone list all the gifts given?

or are those two gifts on the right, random?

Purple is the new Black.

Think Purple.

December 20, 2008 4:14 am
ktx

ktx

Automaton Tech

from Wouldn't you like to know?
474 posts

reesmaxwell wrote:

Take a screenshot of the page, import into Photoshop, and then apply the BS filter. Capish?

Is there a filter similar to this for The GIMP? I don't have Photoshop.

Vitamin C Power!

December 20, 2008 4:14 am
apt213

apt213

Automaton Tech

from Austin, TX
205 posts

ktx wrote:
reesmaxwell wrote:

Take a screenshot of the page, import into Photoshop, and then apply the BS filter. Capish?

Is there a filter similar to this for The GIMP? I don't have Photoshop.

That was the funniest response ever in the world- only I don't think it was meant to be...

Don't worry. I think the filter is applied to anything reesmaxwell says from here on out. That's whatcha get, rees! Tee hee!

Diane, this case gives me a strange feeling... this is one of Cole's blue rose cases.

December 20, 2008 4:18 am
alloutmacstoday

alloutmacstoday

Big Game Hunter

from The Dark Side of Oz
615 posts

BS Filter = bayesian spam tongue

LOL

Twitter | Flickr
▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

December 20, 2008 4:20 am
Timi

Timi

Moderator

from New York
1,395 posts

Yuuup.  My presents are invisible like the screenshots already posted.
I think i've unlocked them all because when I hover over where I know they were (I did see them before when they where ghosted) It no longer has a Refer a Friend, but a "Come back on christmas day!"

I'd like to be able to see them >_>

December 20, 2008 4:22 am
ktx

ktx

Automaton Tech

from Wouldn't you like to know?
474 posts

apt213 wrote:
ktx wrote:
reesmaxwell wrote:

Take a screenshot of the page, import into Photoshop, and then apply the BS filter. Capish?

Is there a filter similar to this for The GIMP? I don't have Photoshop.

That was the funniest response ever in the world- only I don't think it was meant to be...

Don't worry. I think the filter is applied to anything reesmaxwell says from here on out. That's whatcha get, rees! Tee hee!

Ah...that is pretty funny tongue

In my defense, what was I supposed to expect? I don't use Photoshop so I had no clue whether a "BS filter" existed or not. Also I've not been active around here for a while so I don't know much about him.

Oh well, it put a smile on my face smile

Vitamin C Power!

December 20, 2008 4:23 am
apt213

apt213

Automaton Tech

from Austin, TX
205 posts

@ktx- I'm so sorry. I wasn't meaning to poke fun at you. More at reesmaxwell. Why? Because I was the first one to try and figure out what the heck he was talking about with the ball sequence thing. He got us both- but he shan't again!

Diane, this case gives me a strange feeling... this is one of Cole's blue rose cases.

December 20, 2008 4:29 am
reesmaxwell

reesmaxwell

Automaton Tech

from Eugene, OR
383 posts

apt213 wrote:

@ktx- I'm so sorry. I wasn't meaning to poke fun at you. More at reesmaxwell. Why? Because I was the first one to try and figure out what the heck he was talking about with the ball sequence thing. He got us both- but he shan't again!

All good fun.  I'm not usually this witty, but the snowy season has got the better of me.  (That, and the eggnog.)

What? Another MacHeist adventure is upon us? Fantastic!

December 20, 2008 4:57 am
mjweb

mjweb

Sky Pirate

from coast2coast
2,343 posts

Eggnog and Photoshop is a wicked combo. wink

www.mjweber.com | Flickr

December 20, 2008 5:01 am
newsdork

newsdork

Sky Pirate

from Tennessee
1,477 posts

they don't call it yo-ho-ho eggnog for nuthin'...

Sometimes I feel so blue
It makes me twitter.

December 20, 2008 5:13 am
BeauGiles

BeauGiles

Tinkerer

20 posts

Soooo, anyone worked out the ornament combination, and what it unlocks (and if it even exists!)? smile

December 20, 2008 5:17 am
newsdork

newsdork

Sky Pirate

from Tennessee
1,477 posts

...only if you have photoshop, which I do. I don't think I have the BS filter though....can I download that at Adobe Exchange??  wink

Sometimes I feel so blue
It makes me twitter.

December 20, 2008 5:23 am
reesmaxwell

reesmaxwell

Automaton Tech

from Eugene, OR
383 posts

newsdork wrote:

...only if you have photoshop, which I do. I don't think I have the BS filter though....can I download that at Adobe Exchange??  wink

apt213 ... want to help out these folks?  I think I've given all the hints I can without spoiling it entirely.  (This is the 'Front' of the MH forums, after all.) wink

What? Another MacHeist adventure is upon us? Fantastic!

December 20, 2008 5:27 am
epifany

epifany

Big Game Hunter

from Dallas, Texas
554 posts

December 20, 2008 5:29 am
newsdork

newsdork

Sky Pirate

from Tennessee
1,477 posts

I think the wink face hopefully let's you know that *I* know Photoshop comes standard with a BS filter....applicable only to screengrabs of reesmaxwell. It must be the forward thinking mustache which causes confusion, eggnog overconsumption, and general malaise. Perhaps we can even pin the current economic downturn to that mustache...it looks like it could handle the pressure.

Sometimes I feel so blue
It makes me twitter.

December 20, 2008 5:42 am
spyker3292

spyker3292

Sky Pirate

from WI
1,728 posts

I'm looking forward to see what these other presents are smile.

Tweet! | Flickr
Go Green Monkeys Go!

December 20, 2008 5:59 am
reesmaxwell

reesmaxwell

Automaton Tech

from Eugene, OR
383 posts

newsdork wrote:

I think the wink face hopefully let's you know that *I* know Photoshop comes standard with a BS filter....applicable only to screengrabs of reesmaxwell. It must be the forward thinking mustache which causes confusion, eggnog overconsumption, and general malaise. Perhaps we can even pin the current economic downturn to that mustache...it looks like it could handle the pressure.

Ah Newsdork .. I think I was beguiled by BeauGiles.  You are correct that Photoshop comes standard with a BS filter... my noggin was filled with the fog of nog.  I am in better spirits now.

My mustache is a harbinger of Change! How dare you try to pin any downturn on that mustache... as you will kindly see that the ends turn UP!

Ah, the eve grows late.  I must withdraw to the comfort of my drawing room where I will partake in one more draw on the pipe before I retire.  I wish you a fare-thee-well my friends and compatriots.

What? Another MacHeist adventure is upon us? Fantastic!

December 20, 2008 6:20 am
BeauGiles

BeauGiles

Tinkerer

20 posts

Excellent! Synergy is awesome - just wish it had the 'spotlight' search feature that coversutra has.

December 20, 2008 6:58 am
devnull000

devnull000

Automaton Tech

from Earth
111 posts

I must admit I tried to open the pict and apply the "BS" filter, since I have an old version of PS Elements. I tried a couple of the "Brush Stokes" effects and they did give rather nice effects wink but, I finally realized that I was phranked.
I guess I should have known given that clicking on the ornaments was a dud. smile lol
As, the fun begins!

Go MacHeist! smile • Get Dropbox • free online backup space: Mac, PC, Unix & iPhone friendly -- using my link gets you & me extra space, thanks for clicking. smile

December 20, 2008 7:08 am
Maulsel

Maulsel

Moderator

from New York
255 posts

I am anticipating epic christmas presents from you guys. Don't let me down now.

I'd use Synergy but my menubar is kinda cramped as it is...

December 20, 2008 7:14 am
Adrammelech

Adrammelech

Big Game Hunter

from Gallifrey
626 posts

My gifts are still not showing but hell, I know two friends have registered already and my gifts will be set and ready for Christmas morning...

Referrals:
Free*My*Apps: Discover great iOS apps. Get rewarded!
FreeAppSlots: Play Slots & WIN!
Bing Rewards: Search Bing, earn credits towards rewards!

December 20, 2008 9:00 am
BigMark

BigMark

Sky Pirate

from Kent, UK.
1,543 posts

Same here, at least 1 of mine has registered.  It's my Dad and he's here staying with me for Christmas.

I've sent out 4 referrals so far.  I'm wondering how you know that they are mine?  Is it IP based?

Mark.

December 20, 2008 9:41 am
Richard Hallas

Richard Hallas

Automaton Tech

from Huddersfield, UK
250 posts

This business about clicking ornaments in the right order... could anyone offer further clues, please? Are you supposed to click the coloured baubles or the dogcows? And do the all have to be clicked, or just some?

I've tried clicking all the coloured ones in the same order as the rainbow bands in the old Apple logo (though there's no one-to-one match for green). I've tried clicking the colour with a dogcow nearest to it; I've tried clicking the dogcow nearest a particular colour, and so on. No luck so far.

It doesn't help that there's absolutely no feedback. I don't know whether anything's supposed to happen or if this is just a hoax. Am I missing something obvious? It'd be nice if the clickable ornaments played a tone when clicked or gave some other useful aide-memoire/acknowledgement, but nothing happens at all.

Have people really solved this or is it a joke?

Cheers!
Born to the Purple

December 20, 2008 10:34 am
Adrammelech

Adrammelech

Big Game Hunter

from Gallifrey
626 posts

Richard Hallas wrote:

This business about clicking ornaments in the right order... could anyone offer further clues, please? Are you supposed to click the coloured baubles or the dogcows? And do the all have to be clicked, or just some?

I've tried clicking all the coloured ones in the same order as the rainbow bands in the old Apple logo (though there's no one-to-one match for green). I've tried clicking the colour with a dogcow nearest to it; I've tried clicking the dogcow nearest a particular colour, and so on. No luck so far.

It doesn't help that there's absolutely no feedback. I don't know whether anything's supposed to happen or if this is just a hoax. Am I missing something obvious? It'd be nice if the clickable ornaments played a tone when clicked or gave some other useful aide-memoire/acknowledgement, but nothing happens at all.

Have people really solved this or is it a joke?

Actually, that was a joke smile

Referrals:
Free*My*Apps: Discover great iOS apps. Get rewarded!
FreeAppSlots: Play Slots & WIN!
Bing Rewards: Search Bing, earn credits towards rewards!

December 20, 2008 10:42 am
devnull000

devnull000

Automaton Tech

from Earth
111 posts

BigMark wrote:

Same here, at least 1 of mine has registered.  It's my Dad and he's here staying with me for Christmas.

I've sent out 4 referrals so far.  I'm wondering how you know that they are mine?  Is it IP based?

Mark.

No, it is based on the referral link, for an example look at the one below and in my signature.
http://givingtree.macheist.com/?invite=38283

Go MacHeist! smile • Get Dropbox • free online backup space: Mac, PC, Unix & iPhone friendly -- using my link gets you & me extra space, thanks for clicking. smile

December 20, 2008 10:54 am
BigMark

BigMark

Sky Pirate

from Kent, UK.
1,543 posts

devnull000 wrote:
BigMark wrote:

Same here, at least 1 of mine has registered.  It's my Dad and he's here staying with me for Christmas.

I've sent out 4 referrals so far.  I'm wondering how you know that they are mine?  Is it IP based?

Mark.

No, it is based on the referral link, for an example look at the one below and in my signature.
http://givingtree.macheist.com/?invite=38283

Well I just referred another friend using the Giving Tree page I reached using the email I was sent.

I've done more than 2 that have/will definitely sign up.  I'm all out of friends with Macs now....

Do we get to know when/if they sign up?

[EDIT]Looks like I messed up then.  When I click the original link in the email I get sent to the page without a referrer link ID.

Hey nice Macheist people, if I PM a list of the people I've referred can I still have my pressies for being good please? smile

Mark.

Mark.

December 20, 2008 11:06 am
Adrammelech

Adrammelech

Big Game Hunter

from Gallifrey
626 posts

You'll know when the gifts go from looking transparent to being colored like the others, and, when you hover your pointer over them, they won't say that you need to refer a friend to get it anymore...they'll say to come on Christmas day to get your gift

Referrals:
Free*My*Apps: Discover great iOS apps. Get rewarded!
FreeAppSlots: Play Slots & WIN!
Bing Rewards: Search Bing, earn credits towards rewards!

December 20, 2008 11:13 am
Adrammelech

Adrammelech

Big Game Hunter

from Gallifrey
626 posts

BigMark wrote:

Looks like I messed up then.  When I click the original link in the email I get sent to the page without a referrer link ID.

Don't worry about that, that's normal...the referral ID gets stored...somewhere...


*Edit*
Bloody hell, what am I doing up at 7:15 AM doing Customer Service stuff for MacHeist...that's why they have moderators! lol
I need to sleep...but maybe later big_smile

Referrals:
Free*My*Apps: Discover great iOS apps. Get rewarded!
FreeAppSlots: Play Slots & WIN!
Bing Rewards: Search Bing, earn credits towards rewards!

December 20, 2008 11:16 am
BigMark

BigMark

Sky Pirate

from Kent, UK.
1,543 posts

Adrammelech wrote:

You'll know when the gifts go from looking transparent to being colored like the others, and, when you hover your pointer over them, they won't say that you need to refer a friend to get it anymore...they'll say to come on Christmas day to get your gift

Thanks for the help.....

Still showing as "Make a referral to get this" so I'll get my Dad to click the link again and see if it comes up then smile

I bought him MH Retail bundle earlier this year as well as one for myself, perhaps he doesn't count as MH would already have his email address from that?

Moderators?  Any idea?

Thanks,

Mark.

December 20, 2008 11:26 am
Adrammelech

Adrammelech

Big Game Hunter

from Gallifrey
626 posts

BigMark wrote:

Still showing as "Make a referral to get this" so I'll get my Dad to click the link again and see if it comes up then smile

Remember....they need to click the link AND register with MacHeist so that the gifts can appear...

Referrals:
Free*My*Apps: Discover great iOS apps. Get rewarded!
FreeAppSlots: Play Slots & WIN!
Bing Rewards: Search Bing, earn credits towards rewards!

December 20, 2008 11:30 am
ne0

ne0

Automaton Tech

from 127.0.0.1
328 posts

Girlfriend did all this - clicked link, registered and still no-presents

I will create a topic in the Support Forum

Team Orange!
twitter | digg | site

December 20, 2008 11:57 am

MoscowVik

Urchin

5 posts

All went good for me. Hidden gifts are showing on the screen after I've sent invitation to couple of friends.
Thank you, MacHeist!

December 20, 2008 12:03 pm
jer2665

jer2665

Big Game Hunter

from South Windsor, CT
800 posts

BeauGiles wrote:

Excellent! Synergy is awesome - just wish it had the 'spotlight' search feature that coversutra has.

yeah, unfortunately it doesn't have that, but luckily for me it doesn't have that feature that coversutra has that uses 90% of my cpu tongue

My twitter

December 20, 2008 1:25 pm
Timi

Timi

Moderator

from New York
1,395 posts

jer2665 wrote:
BeauGiles wrote:

Excellent! Synergy is awesome - just wish it had the 'spotlight' search feature that coversutra has.

yeah, unfortunately it doesn't have that, but luckily for me it doesn't have that feature that coversutra has that uses 90% of my cpu tongue

Talk to Sophia, get an older version. smile

December 20, 2008 2:29 pm
JazzJohannes

JazzJohannes

Tinkerer

22 posts

I think your friends have to sign up first in order to see the presents.

Little Green Man don't exist, but only because Mulder is red-green color blind!

December 20, 2008 2:43 pm
Richard Hallas

Richard Hallas

Automaton Tech

from Huddersfield, UK
250 posts

Adrammelech wrote:

Have people really solved this or is it a joke?

Actually, that was a joke smile

Darn! What a pity. If it had been real, it'd have been very cool. Next year, perhaps? wink

Cheers!
Born to the Purple

December 20, 2008 2:50 pm
Canisreevus

Canisreevus

Automaton Tech

from Flowood, MS
433 posts

Yea, I sent out several emails last night.  One signed up this morning and one of the referral gifts is showing now.  Just make sure they use the link from your email invite.

Get DropBox

December 20, 2008 4:13 pm
Kampf Katze

Kampf Katze

Tinkerer

from Berlin
14 posts

Thanks a lot for this nice gift...

December 20, 2008 4:19 pm
macpug18

macpug18

Sky Pirate

1,144 posts

BigMark wrote:

Thanks for the help.....

Still showing as "Make a referral to get this" so I'll get my Dad to click the link again and see if it comes up then smile

I bought him MH Retail bundle earlier this year as well as one for myself, perhaps he doesn't count as MH would already have his email address from that?

Moderators?  Any idea?

Thanks,

Mark.

I had a similar issue last night.  My dad, got signed up but got an odd message the first time he tried, so he changed the user name and password to something else.  My cousin got a message that someone had tried to log in from the same IP within the past hour...but they hadn't because she'd just gotten home and got the message. Then she couldn't sign up at all.  So not sure what's up with that.  I'm going over to check it, but can't until tomorrow. So there are at least a few odd issues going on. I'm guessing that dad's first message is because I might have referred him last time. He couldn't remember what the message said, and it didn't come up again after he changed his log in. That may be the same message you got. 

I'm sorry this probably isn't much help, but I wanted to at least respond to you, and also let you know that I had some issues too.  Be patient, we'll get them worked out smile  I'll post back tomorrow after I check out the situation with my cousin's referral.

You've just read my signature

December 20, 2008 4:21 pm
macpug18

macpug18

Sky Pirate

1,144 posts

Adrammelech wrote:

[
*Edit*
Bloody hell, what am I doing up at 7:15 AM doing Customer Service stuff for MacHeist...that's why they have moderators! lol
I need to sleep...but maybe later big_smile

'cause you're such a nice guy wink 
thanks for helping out!

You've just read my signature

December 20, 2008 4:24 pm
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

Adrammelech wrote:
BigMark wrote:

Looks like I messed up then.  When I click the original link in the email I get sent to the page without a referrer link ID.

Don't worry about that, that's normal...the referral ID gets stored...somewhere...


*Edit*
Bloody hell, what am I doing up at 7:15 AM doing Customer Service stuff for MacHeist...that's why they have moderators! lol
I need to sleep...but maybe later big_smile

Yea, and my life doesn't necessarily revolve around this site tongue

Website | Twitter

December 20, 2008 4:30 pm
Adrammelech

Adrammelech

Big Game Hunter

from Gallifrey
626 posts

Well, it was hard sending out 86 emails before noon. Needed something to keep my mind out of that for a minute or two... tongue

I think now I can sleep...oh wait, footie game is on in 45 mins...there will be time to sleep tomorrow I guess big_smile

Referrals:
Free*My*Apps: Discover great iOS apps. Get rewarded!
FreeAppSlots: Play Slots & WIN!
Bing Rewards: Search Bing, earn credits towards rewards!

December 20, 2008 4:48 pm
BigMark

BigMark

Sky Pirate

from Kent, UK.
1,543 posts

Warbrain wrote:

Yea, and my life doesn't necessarily revolve around this site tongue

As opposed to mine that seems too smile.  I just love MH season!!!!!!!!

December 20, 2008 4:49 pm
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

Adrammelech wrote:

Well, it was hard sending out 86 emails before noon. Needed something to keep my mind out of that for a minute or two... tongue

I think now I can sleep...oh wait, footie game is on in 45 mins...there will be time to sleep tomorrow I guess big_smile

I spend 6-8a commuting/being at work and work all day until 6p at night so not much time to check MH in the morning.

Website | Twitter

December 20, 2008 4:52 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Front » The Giving Tree Returns

Become an agent



Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)


As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

 

Login to MacHeist



As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?