Forums

Brand new, some questions

MacHeist Forums » The Front » Brand new, some questions
thatryan

thatryan

Urchin

from Bay Area, CA
5 posts

So I am new to Mac and excited I found this site.  I registered and am patiently waiting...kinda. :-)
I am curious what the stuff in the "My Loot" section is?  I have not done anything yet obviously, but there are a few items there, and a coupon, $2 bill thing, and it says loot value = xx$, what does that mean?  Is the stuff free? There seems to be prices attached though...

December 20, 2008 9:17 am
WhiteFang

WhiteFang

Dirigible Captain

from a cliff in the arctic ocean.
2,847 posts

Umm... the loot is currently from last years heist, so I don't think there should be anything in there, but I could be wrong (John, Phill?).

What the loot will be (if they don't change anything from last year) is a collection of free apps and discounts you get for solving the heists. Some of the apps are "one-timers" (i.e. apps that come with the serial-number precompiled within the app, and can't be upgraded), but not neccessarily all.

Some of the apps were actually pretty cool. I think the directorate will do even better this year, so stay tuned and participate in the heists when they start smile

Oh, and welcome to the forums smile

(favourite paradox) This page intentionally left blank.

December 20, 2008 10:22 am
Adrammelech

Adrammelech

Big Game Hunter

from Gallifrey
626 posts

As you're new, I believe your Loot should have the MacHeist Chat app and the HeistAgent. These two apps are there to help you with your heists.

Now, all apps are free. The price in the Loot is just to let you know the amount of money you'd have to pay to get all those apps. But they're yours to keep for free just for participating in MacHeist. Now, at the end of it all, there will be a bundle of apps that you have to pay if you want to get. They'll cost anything between $39 and $49. They're incredible apps that sometimes could cost you well over $500 but, again, for participating in MacHeist, you get it for a price we like to call "A Steal"...but you don't have to buy them if you don't want to, you just keep the free apps if you so like...

Referrals:
Free*My*Apps: Discover great iOS apps. Get rewarded!
FreeAppSlots: Play Slots & WIN!
Bing Rewards: Search Bing, earn credits towards rewards!

December 20, 2008 10:47 am
devnull000

devnull000

Automaton Tech

from Earth
111 posts

Adrammelech wrote:

As you're new, I believe your Loot should have the MacHeist Chat app and the HeistAgent

How do I tell if it is from MH2 and not the current heist MH3?
Moderators: are the same as before, do we need to download the current version?

Go MacHeist! smile • Get Dropbox • free online backup space: Mac, PC, Unix & iPhone friendly -- using my link gets you & me extra space, thanks for clicking. smile

December 20, 2008 10:56 am
Adrammelech

Adrammelech

Big Game Hunter

from Gallifrey
626 posts

devnull000 wrote:
Adrammelech wrote:

As you're new, I believe your Loot should have the MacHeist Chat app and the HeistAgent

You got me there...
My Loot still shows all the stuff from MHII...

Referrals:

December 20, 2008 10:58 am
macpug18

macpug18

Sky Pirate

1,144 posts

devnull000 wrote:
Adrammelech wrote:

I'm still using the same MH chat app as before, haven't had to update it or anything. They had talked about having a new HeistAgent notifier, but I'm not sure about that...someone else will have to tackle that one for me.

You've just read my signature

December 20, 2008 11:00 am
Adrammelech

Adrammelech

Big Game Hunter

from Gallifrey
626 posts

macpug18 wrote:
devnull000 wrote:
Adrammelech wrote:

I'm still using the same MH chat app as before, haven't had to update it or anything. They had talked about having a new HeistAgent notifier, but I'm not sure about that...someone else will have to tackle that one for me.

Yeah, the MacHeist Chat works perfectly and says it's up to date. And I had to install the HeistAgent now, forgot about it since I uninstalled it this summer...but it appears to be working still as it shows the Mac Giving Tree notification...

Referrals:

December 20, 2008 11:09 am
Maulsel

Maulsel

255 posts

MH3 hasn't started yet, so there's no chance you can have something from MH3 in your loot.

December 20, 2008 3:02 pm
macpug18

macpug18

Sky Pirate

1,144 posts

My loot from the last heist is still there, so that might be confusing some folks...but correct, no loot yet this time.

You've just read my signature

December 20, 2008 4:26 pm
thatryan

thatryan

Urchin

from Bay Area, CA
5 posts

Heh, thanks guys.
My loot now shows empty, guess they reset it all from last night or something? 
The chat app and heist agent are gone as well, will they return?
What exactly are the heists, I tried reading on it and it looked like people go into the real world and find stuff?  Is that the case, is that what everyone who wants to heist does?  If so, what country? lol

December 20, 2008 8:41 pm
WhiteFang

WhiteFang

Dirigible Captain

2,847 posts

No, the heists were mostly over the internet (get clues, solve puzzles, find solution, win goodies) smile

December 20, 2008 8:49 pm
thatryan

thatryan

Urchin

from Bay Area, CA
5 posts

right on, sounds fun.  Is there an email or RSS when it is all about to start?  Or do we just check the site constantly?
Regarding the actual puzzles, does the "prize" or whatever go to everyone who solves it, or just the first person?

December 20, 2008 8:55 pm

Axplosion

Urchin

3 posts

Okay
Im just starting out
Nothing in my loot
What do i do to get started?

December 20, 2008 8:59 pm
WhiteFang

WhiteFang

Dirigible Captain

2,847 posts

thatryan wrote:

right on, sounds fun.  Is there an email or RSS when it is all about to start?  Or do we just check the site constantly?
Regarding the actual puzzles, does the "prize" or whatever go to everyone who solves it, or just the first person?

Since you signed up, you'll get an email around the time it starts (or, that's how it was last year - we'll see how it handles the added volume this year smile)

The prize goes to anyone who solves it, be it the first - or last.

So, you listen to the ether, and when it starts - godspeed smile

December 20, 2008 9:00 pm
Adrammelech

Adrammelech

Big Game Hunter

from Gallifrey
626 posts

Ok, the loot is empty for now. You'll probably want to wait and see if they add the HeistAgent in a few days there. If not, keep on checking the site, emails, Twitter, and RSS for info on the heists...
To get started, just wait for the info and clues for the first mission...do the puzzles, get the free apps...
Regarding the puzzles, everyone who inputs the code into the vault will get the loot, everyone!

Referrals:

December 20, 2008 9:06 pm

Axplosion

Urchin

3 posts

Under briefings it says insert card
Is that something i have to just wait for or what do i do?

December 20, 2008 9:08 pm
ben.mcmahan

ben.mcmahan

Automaton Tech

from Mostly Tucson
455 posts

you wait - that (card page) is relevant when the heists start (there should be a pretty big commotion around here when they do).

i just check back every day (probably more often than that..), but they have twitter, RSS, chat (see the bottom-right) of this page in fact...

Whatcha got ain't nothin new. This country's hard on people, you can't stop what's coming, it ain't all waiting on you.

That's vanity.

December 20, 2008 9:30 pm

Axplosion

Urchin

3 posts

So, to be clear, there's nothing to do right now...?

December 20, 2008 9:48 pm
phillryu

phillryu

1,569 posts

Axplosion wrote:

MacHeists are a yearly event, and you'll get notice from us via email once the missions begin again. The Giving Tree is a separate thing we are putting on for the holidays. smile

Co-Creator of MacHeist, Clear, Partner at tap tap tap | follow me on twitter

December 20, 2008 10:07 pm
boboboe

boboboe

from Eastern Canada
2,356 posts

Many questions can be answered by reading this thread: http://www.macheist.com/forums/viewtopi … 53#p129253

Flickr

December 20, 2008 10:41 pm
greiss122

greiss122

Tinkerer

from Madison, Wisconsin
10 posts

phillryu wrote:
Axplosion wrote:

MacHeists are a yearly event, and you'll get notice from us via email once the missions begin again. The Giving Tree is a separate thing we are putting on for the holidays. smile

wait, will we get a message even if we signed up last year? (sorry,  I did sign up last year, but didn't do anything, so I'm pretty much new smile )

-   G   A   B   E

December 21, 2008 10:47 pm
step

step

Sky Pirate

from Georgia, US
1,787 posts

greiss122, yes you'll see an email if you're on the mailing list. If you got an email about Giving Tree, you'll get an email when Heists start. 

Or you can just back here compulsively, and wear out your F5 button.  The choice is up to you.  wink

Whistle while you work.  Patience is key.

December 22, 2008 4:59 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Front » Brand new, some questions

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?