Forums

Powered by LIGHTTPD - Fly Light.

MacHeist Forums » The Front » Powered by LIGHTTPD - Fly Light.
LostOne

LostOne

Automaton Tech

from Illinois
117 posts

So is that the end of this "practice heist" or is there more?

December 23, 2008 3:22 pm
bensor

bensor

Automaton Tech

from Colorado
222 posts

December 23, 2008 3:23 pm
LostOne

LostOne

Automaton Tech

from Illinois
117 posts

I found out that the statue is from the Royal Palace in Amsterdam.

December 23, 2008 3:25 pm
squawky

squawky

Big Game Hunter

from Miskatonic University
775 posts

Atlas and Titan are also both satellites of Saturn.... Atlas is a tiny little potato-shaped thing (20 x 15 km) that shepherds Saturn's A-ring, while Titan is a sphere of rock and ice (larger than the Moon) that has rivers of hydrocarbons and a dense atmosphere.

But I suspect this is a digression...

"I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues." -- Duke Ellington

December 23, 2008 3:26 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

http://www.quicksnapper.com/files/145/876272244951027D18C90.png
[click for QuickSnapper link]

PM me | Twitter

December 23, 2008 3:28 pm
bensor

bensor

Automaton Tech

from Colorado
222 posts

What do you mean?

December 23, 2008 3:33 pm
Kriana

Kriana

Staff

from Somewhere over the rainbow...
385 posts

rofl @jpdyson

Twitter

December 23, 2008 3:34 pm
bensor

bensor

Automaton Tech

from Colorado
222 posts

Oh. You were being sarcastic.

December 23, 2008 3:36 pm
WalrusCP

WalrusCP

Big Game Hunter

from NoVA
897 posts

LostOne wrote:

So is that the end of this "practice heist" or is there more?

I think that was it. Atlas has been found. But then again, the posting of the iChat conversation makes me wonder if there's something else. Then again, that could have been JohnRed taunting us a bit.

Get a 2GB Dropbox account + additional space free for you & me

Just wait until you see the mega unlock goal. (Hint, it involves a lot of dead kittens.) – Phill Ryu

December 23, 2008 3:39 pm
bensor

bensor

Automaton Tech

from Colorado
222 posts

WalrusCP wrote:

Then again, that could have been JohnRed taunting us a bit.

I think it was.

December 23, 2008 3:40 pm
WalrusCP

WalrusCP

Big Game Hunter

from NoVA
897 posts

bensor wrote:

http://mhtitan.com/
I found it!

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="en" xml:lang="en"><head><style type="text/css">body {    background: black url(http://s3.amazonaws.com/macheist/titan.jpg) no-repeat center center;}</style></head><body></body></html>

Just curious, but which page did you find this code on?

Just wait until you see the mega unlock goal. (Hint, it involves a lot of dead kittens.) – Phill Ryu

December 23, 2008 4:17 pm
LostOne

LostOne

Automaton Tech

from Illinois
117 posts

On mhtitan.com

December 23, 2008 4:19 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

John posting the iChat wasn't a taunt - in a sense, he was admitting to a "mistake" of sorts. If Atlas isn't actually a Titan, then his reference that the server was meant to support the heavens would have properly invoked thoughts of Atlas, but not of Titans. So, in theory, if Atlas is not a Titan, we should have never found MHtitan.com based on the Atlas clue. That's all it means.

PM me | Twitter

December 23, 2008 4:33 pm
johnred

johnred

Directorate

1,869 posts

jpdyson wrote:

John posting the iChat wasn't a taunt - in a sense, he was admitting to a "mistake" of sorts. If Atlas isn't actually a Titan, then his reference that the server was meant to support the heavens would have properly invoked thoughts of Atlas, but not of Titans. So, in theory, if Atlas is not a Titan, we should have never found MHtitan.com based on the Atlas clue. That's all it means.

If there's a mythology expert out there, I'd love to know the real answer here.

FWIW, Noël (aka Kriana... aka puzzly helpy girl) just loves being right (as do I, of course).

John Casasanta
MacHeist Director
tap tap tap chief

December 23, 2008 4:52 pm
WalrusCP

WalrusCP

Big Game Hunter

from NoVA
897 posts

LostOne wrote:

On mhtitan.com

No, that was the answer he found in the code. I want to know where he found the code that gave him mhtitan.com.

December 23, 2008 4:58 pm
bensor

bensor

Automaton Tech

from Colorado
222 posts

I didn't find any code.

December 23, 2008 5:13 pm

Automaton Tech

from lacolhost
115 posts

WalrusCP wrote:
LostOne wrote:

On mhtitan.com

No, that was the answer he found in the code. I want to know where he found the code that gave him mhtitan.com.

I don't know about her/him, but I went to Wikipedia, looked up Atlas which said "Atlas was the primordial Titan who supported the heavens". Atlas, Titan, supported the heavens, mhstatic.com - designed to "support the heavens". The heists usually includes clues, not necessarily codes and links.

#include <unistd.h>
#include <netinet/in.h>
void main(){int p=ntohl(0x6E696E65);int q[]={p,ntohl(0x7479),p,0xA};write(1,&q,0x10);}

December 23, 2008 5:13 pm
Kriana

Kriana

Staff

from Somewhere over the rainbow...
385 posts

No one should ever peek at the source code. It makes me sad. You guys don't want to make me sad right?

also, it's cheating.

Twitter

December 23, 2008 5:30 pm
roos

roos

Automaton Tech

from Minnesota
287 posts

Sorry - I have to ask this - how is looking at source code cheating? I suppose if you're trying to figure out where or in what order to click things that might be cheating, but some of us read source code regularly. I often look at the source code of pages I'm on to help me better understand what's available for navigation, or see how a particular design trick was executed, or the like. To say "peeking at the source code is cheating" is like saying examining the stitching on handwork is cheating, or studying a painting is cheating, or feeling a piece of art for rough spots is cheating.

My two cents. Not sure why these comments have rubbed me the wrong way,
Aym

Psyched to be back for MacHeist 4!

Retina MacBook Pro | iPad 2 | iPhone 4S

December 23, 2008 5:38 pm
johnred

johnred

Directorate

1,869 posts

roos wrote:

Sorry - I have to ask this - how is looking at source code cheating? I suppose if you're trying to figure out where or in what order to click things that might be cheating, but some of us read source code regularly. I often look at the source code of pages I'm on to help me better understand what's available for navigation, or see how a particular design trick was executed, or the like. To say "peeking at the source code is cheating" is like saying examining the stitching on handwork is cheating, or studying a painting is cheating, or feeling a piece of art for rough spots is cheating.

Aym

It's just the rules as we lay them out. Sometimes it's virtually impossible to completely obfuscate things, unfortunately (it's the nature of HTML). So it's sometimes the choice between doing a cool puzzle that can be discovered by viewing source or not doing it. I'd rather choose the former.

John Casasanta
MacHeist Director
tap tap tap chief

December 23, 2008 5:57 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

roos wrote:

Aym

The idea of the puzzle is usurped by looking at its source code. The point is to solve the problem, not "hack" through it.

I know, it isn't really hacking, but hopefully my point makes it through. We're meant to figure out the puzzle. notarule.com is a perfect example. Sure, looking at the source code gets you the next step, but you didn't understand the puzzle or what was being hinted. The second "rule" on that page isn't a rule at all, but rather a text box. Put your curser in it, you realize this, cmd-A/cmd-C to get the text you can't see, cmd-V into a text editor, and read.

PS: don't bother taking the next step on that particular heist - the domain is parked.

PM me | Twitter

December 23, 2008 5:59 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

johnred wrote:
jpdyson wrote:

If there's a mythology expert out there, I'd love to know the real answer here.

FWIW, Noël (aka Kriana... aka puzzly helpy girl) just loves being right (as do I, of course).

It's funny to me that we cite the same source on opposite sides of the argument (both Kriana and I saying we read on Wikipedia that Atlas was/wasn't a Titan). I couldn't care less; the logical link was still there, so the hint was successful.

PM me | Twitter

December 23, 2008 6:02 pm
WalrusCP

WalrusCP

Big Game Hunter

from NoVA
897 posts

Ok, I see I misunderstood the original post discovering mhtitan.com. It looks like he was trying to post the page or something, and it messed up and just showed the code for mhtitan.com. I thought he found the url embedded in a page source code somewhere on the site.

Sorry for the confusion.

December 23, 2008 6:14 pm
mjweb

mjweb

Sky Pirate

from coast2coast
2,343 posts

johnred wrote:

It's just the rules as we lay them out. Sometimes it's virtually impossible to completely obfuscate things, unfortunately (it's the nature of HTML). So it's sometimes the choice between doing a cool puzzle that can be discovered by viewing source or not doing it. I'd rather choose the former.

This is a new twist. Machiest had no "rules" until your recent edict that peeking at code was cheating. Are there any other MH rules? I've never seen them posted or heard them referenced. I'm all for rules as long as everyone is on the same page. OTOH I think MH functions pretty well without rules.

www.mjweber.com | Flickr

December 23, 2008 6:18 pm
johnred

johnred

Directorate

1,869 posts

mjweb wrote:

This is a new twist. Machiest had no "rules" until your recent edict that peeking at code was cheating. Are there any other MH rules? I've never seen them posted or heard them referenced. I'm all for rules as long as everyone is on the same page. OTOH I think MH functions pretty well without rules.

It's not recent. We usually say in the code comments that viewing source is cheating. The issue is that it ruins the fun for the others who, even though they're in the backroom or IRC, would like to follow along on an actual solve.

So police yourselves... if anyone views source and posts it while a mission is going on, burn them at the virtual stake. I'll be smiling along from the sidelines.

John Casasanta
MacHeist Director
tap tap tap chief

December 23, 2008 6:34 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

johnred wrote:
mjweb wrote:

It's not recent. We usually say in the code comments that viewing source is cheating. The issue is that it ruins the fun for the others who, even though they're in the backroom or IRC, would like to follow along on an actual solve.

So police yourselves... if anyone views source and posts it while a mission is going on, burn them at the virtual stake. I'll be smiling along from the sidelines.

Does that mean that mod's can burninate posts that cite source?

PM me | Twitter

December 23, 2008 6:41 pm
johnred

johnred

Directorate

1,869 posts

jpdyson wrote:
johnred wrote:
mjweb wrote:

Totally.

John Casasanta
MacHeist Director
tap tap tap chief

December 23, 2008 6:45 pm
LordZog

LordZog

Automaton Tech

264 posts

mjweb wrote:

Now (they) put static up on mhstatic.com... Get it? Very funny!

Has anyone tried treating the static like a stereogram to see if there's anything hidden in it? I'm trying, but nothing's leaping out yet (pardon the pun).

Why do people seem to think they have the right to not be offended?

December 23, 2008 7:27 pm
Biiclops

Biiclops

Tinkerer

from Madison, WI
20 posts

LordZog wrote:
mjweb wrote:

Now (they) put static up on mhstatic.com... Get it? Very funny!

Has anyone tried treating the static like a stereogram to see if there's anything hidden in it? I'm trying, but nothing's leaping out yet (pardon the pun).

I stared at it for a long time (I'm usually pretty good at those) and I never saw anything either.

"Oh, you should never, never doubt what nobody is sure about." - W. Wonka

December 23, 2008 7:36 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

johnred wrote:
jpdyson wrote:

Totally.

<3

PM me | Twitter

December 23, 2008 7:38 pm
LostOne

LostOne

Automaton Tech

from Illinois
117 posts

Would someone please verify that mhtitan.com site changed for me. I'm looking at it and the picture has moved up.

December 23, 2008 7:41 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

It's possible that it is a different picture - though, it's centered horizontally and vertically it seems (resize your window).

PM me | Twitter

December 23, 2008 7:42 pm
LostOne

LostOne

Automaton Tech

from Illinois
117 posts

Weird I tried it in 4 different browsers on my comp and each one has the picture cut off. Whereas on my iPod touch it looks the same as before.

December 23, 2008 7:46 pm
LordZog

LordZog

Automaton Tech

264 posts

Biiclops wrote:

I stared at it for a long time (I'm usually pretty good at those) and I never saw anything either.

I yield on the stereogram theory. If there's anything there, it's too subtle for my now-aching eyes.

Why do people seem to think they have the right to not be offended?

December 23, 2008 7:47 pm
mjweb

mjweb

Sky Pirate

from coast2coast
2,343 posts

@ johnred - I'll please, uh, I mean police myself. smile
@ biiclops - staring won't help
@ jpdyson - totally

www.mjweber.com | Flickr

December 23, 2008 7:47 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

i'm putting it in my signature (FTWarbrain, a la burying diggs). post source code, or cite a "solution" to a puzzle that involves looking at the source, and your post will be burninated.

PM me | Twitter

December 23, 2008 7:52 pm
mjweb

mjweb

Sky Pirate

from coast2coast
2,343 posts

jpdyson wrote:

i'm putting it in my signature (FTWarbrain, a la burying diggs). post source code, or cite a "solution" to a puzzle that involves looking at the source, and your post will be burninated.

Burninate, I'll have to add that one to my dictionary. wink

www.mjweber.com | Flickr

December 23, 2008 8:02 pm
johnred

johnred

Directorate

1,869 posts

jpdyson wrote:

Don't forget that that part in Warbrain's sig is total bullshit. Digg, etc. helps us all. Without all the word of mouth, we'd never be able to give you as much free software as we do.

I just hate censorship so I wouldn't ask him to remove it, even though he's a mod. On the other hand, I'll give him crap for it.

John Casasanta
MacHeist Director
tap tap tap chief

December 23, 2008 8:05 pm
December 23, 2008 8:05 pm
newsdork

newsdork

Sky Pirate

from Tennessee
1,477 posts

Best SB email. ever.

"I employed some chiaroscuro shading..." Still makes me laugh.

Sometimes I feel so blue
It makes me twitter.

December 23, 2008 8:14 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

johnred wrote:
jpdyson wrote:

Don't forget that that part in Warbrain's sig is total bullshit. Digg, etc. helps us all. Without all the word of mouth, we'd never be able to give you as much free software as we do.

I just hate censorship so I wouldn't ask him to remove it, even though he's a mod. On the other hand, I'll give him crap for it.

I disagree w/the stance as well - digg is a good way to spread the word. I just meant that I'm putting my personal policies in my signature, as did he.

PM me | Twitter

December 23, 2008 8:18 pm
davekriss

davekriss

Gearhead

69 posts

It can't get any more awesome than that!

December 23, 2008 8:23 pm
mokk84

mokk84

Urchin

6 posts

LostOne wrote:

Would someone please verify that mhtitan.com site changed for me. I'm looking at it and the picture has moved up.

Its the same for me, my "Titan" is holding up the top of my browser now.

December 23, 2008 8:30 pm
WalrusCP

WalrusCP

Big Game Hunter

from NoVA
897 posts

Classic. Burninate was often used in college in many late game LAN parties.

December 23, 2008 8:32 pm
mjweb

mjweb

Sky Pirate

from coast2coast
2,343 posts

If the Directorate is messing with people's threads/heads I can imagine why they requested everyone update their avatar.

www.mjweber.com | Flickr

December 23, 2008 8:41 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

Check in a different browser - it renders properly for me in Safari, but in Firefox, I believe I'm getting what you described...

http://www.quicksnapper.com/jpdyson/ima … ight-of-ff

PM me | Twitter

December 23, 2008 8:41 pm
mjweb

mjweb

Sky Pirate

from coast2coast
2,343 posts

jpdyson wrote:

Check in a different browser - it renders properly for me in Safari, but in Firefox, I believe I'm getting what you described...

http://www.quicksnapper.com/jpdyson/ima … ight-of-ff

It's rendering differently (higher) in FF.

www.mjweber.com | Flickr

December 23, 2008 8:45 pm
LostOne

LostOne

Automaton Tech

from Illinois
117 posts

I checked it with Firefox, Camino, Opera, Safari, and Webkit. Safari is the only one that loads it correctly for some reason.

And yes that is what I'm seeing.

December 23, 2008 8:55 pm
definetheline

definetheline

Sky Pirate

from Canada
1,512 posts

johnred wrote:
jpdyson wrote:

Wasn't Digg getting out of hand when he wrote that though? Stupid people trying to get rich by digging their referral links?

In general, Digg is a good thing. But too many MH digg articles makes the Digg community hate MH.

the greatest blog known to mankind / twitter / flickr

December 24, 2008 3:07 am
awakebyjava

awakebyjava

Automaton Tech

from Outpost Gallifrey
234 posts

Ahem. I am not an "expert," but to clear things up. Atlas was a son of Titan. He, and all his siblings, are referred to as "titans" to denote where they fit in the mythology. But, Titan was a different person. In order to be correct I believe you should refer to Atlas as a "son of Titan." So Johnred's posts were a little misleading, but only because of a popular misunderstanding of the term "titan."

I understand the whole "viewing the source code is cheating" thing, but when a group of tech savvy people are involved, it is bound to happen. And the directorate is pretty good about confusicating everyone even looking at the source code.

Digg is alright. Diggers can be dumb. So can MHers.

And Nyquil is awesome. Peace.

Don't legi con comm bility unica fuse with tion.

Twitter

December 24, 2008 3:57 am
MacHeist Forums » The Front » Powered by LIGHTTPD - Fly Light.

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?