Forums

Powered by LIGHTTPD - Fly Light.

MacHeist Forums » The Front » Powered by LIGHTTPD - Fly Light.
boboboe

boboboe

from Eastern Canada
2,356 posts

definetheline wrote:
johnred wrote:
jpdyson wrote:

i'm putting it in my signature (FTWarbrain, a la burying diggs). post source code, or cite a "solution" to a puzzle that involves looking at the source, and your post will be burninated.

Don't forget that that part in Warbrain's sig is total bullshit. Digg, etc. helps us all. Without all the word of mouth, we'd never be able to give you as much free software as we do.

I just hate censorship so I wouldn't ask him to remove it, even though he's a mod. On the other hand, I'll give him crap for it.

Wasn't Digg getting out of hand when he wrote that though? Stupid people trying to get rich by digging their referral links?

In general, Digg is a good thing. But too many MH digg articles makes the Digg community hate MH.

No publicity is bad publicity smile

Flickr

December 24, 2008 4:05 am
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

awakebyjava wrote:

Ahem. I am not an "expert," but to clear things up. Atlas was a son of Titan. He, and all his siblings, are referred to as "titans" to denote where they fit in the mythology. But, Titan was a different person. In order to be correct I believe you should refer to Atlas as a "son of Titan." So Johnred's posts were a little misleading, but only because of a popular misunderstanding of the term "titan."

Uh... I don't see any support for this. Atlas (by any source I can find) was the son of a Titan named Iapetus and an Oceanid named Asia/Clymene. You'd be tempted to call him half-Titan then, but Oceanids are the daughters of two Titans, so if Titanacy (?) is inherited, we're looking at a full-bred Titan in Atlas.

Also, this article implies that Atlas was known as a Titan.

If not, very closely associated w/Titans, and still - it was a good hint.

PM me | Twitter

December 24, 2008 12:36 pm
phillryu

phillryu

Administrator

1,569 posts

Atlas is probably the only titan I can name tongue I mean he's not a god, not a mortal, but he friggin holds up the earth. He's a titan.

Co-Creator of MacHeist, Clear, Partner at tap tap tap | follow me on twitter

December 24, 2008 1:00 pm
Adrammelech

Adrammelech

Big Game Hunter

from Gallifrey
626 posts

phillryu wrote:

Atlas is probably the only titan I can name tongue I mean he's not a god, not a mortal, but he friggin holds up the earth. He's a titan.

Aaaaaactually, Atlas holding the Earth (or a Globe) is a common misconception, he holds a celestial sphere, or the heavens to make it simpler... smile

I don't know other titans either but I'll bet you a bundle I'll know a few more once God Of War III comes along big_smile

Referrals:
Free*My*Apps: Discover great iOS apps. Get rewarded!
FreeAppSlots: Play Slots & WIN!
Bing Rewards: Search Bing, earn credits towards rewards!

December 24, 2008 2:05 pm
mokk84

mokk84

Urchin

6 posts

This should be a non-issue by now, but anyways guys... a quick sift through a bunch of books on Google Scholar had Atlas always listed as a Titan, a second generation god (along with the Titans, the Third generation being Zeus's click), or simply, a god who sided with the Titans along with one or two of his siblings. However since the mythology is often conflicting, I suppose if one made a good enough argument, it is still debatable seeing as Atlas was not directly one of Gaia and Uranus's 12 children who are Titans without contention. Atlas was the son of Iapetus of the first generation of Titans, as was Zeus the son of Cronus and Rheia, who were also of the first generation. However, for reasons unclear, Atlas is classified as a second generation Titan, whilst Zeus an Olympian or third generation, I'd guess this is simply to do with the side Atlas choose to fight on.

So no, Atlas cannot be a Titan if we restrict our definition of Titan to only those direct children of Gaia and Uranus. However if we extend our definition of Titan, to the grandchildren who fought on their side, then Atlas can be a Titan, albeit 'second generation'.

December 24, 2008 2:18 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

mokk84 wrote:

This should be a non-issue by now, but anyways guys... a quick sift through a bunch of books on Google Scholar had Atlas always listed as a Titan, a second generation god (along with the Titans, the Third generation being Zeus's click), or simply, a god who sided with the Titans along with one or two of his siblings. However since the mythology is often conflicting, I suppose if one made a good enough argument, it is still debatable seeing as Atlas was not directly one of Gaia and Uranus's 12 children who are Titans without contention. Atlas was the son of Iapetus of the first generation of Titans, as was Zeus the son of Cronus and Reah, who were also of the first generation. However, for reasons unclear, Atlas is classified as a second generation Titan, whilst Zeus an Olympian or third generation, I'd guess this is simply to do with the side Atlas choose to fight on.

So no, Atlas cannot be a Titan if we restrict our definition of Titan to only those direct children of Gaia and Uranus. However if we extend our definition of Titan, to the grandchildren who fought on their side, then Atlas can be a Titan, albeit 'second generation'.

I agree on both major points.

First of all, it is a non-issue at this point. We found the server.

Secondly, he's not a "proper" Titan in the conservative definition of the word. He's at best part of the extended clique (not click) of Titans - we'll call him a Titan*, as in Maris' 61* or Bonds' 73*.

PM me | Twitter

December 24, 2008 2:31 pm
johnred

johnred

Directorate

1,869 posts

We're giving jpdyson's kettle thread a good run for the money in here now with all the mythology talk.

John Casasanta
MacHeist Director
tap tap tap chief

December 24, 2008 2:36 pm
awakebyjava

awakebyjava

Automaton Tech

from Outpost Gallifrey
234 posts

You are correct sah! I blame Nyquil for my mistake. But I still love it.

Don't legi con comm bility unica fuse with tion.

Twitter

December 24, 2008 3:29 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

johnred wrote:

We're giving jpdyson's kettle thread a good run for the money in here now with all the mythology talk.

Look, that was the best thread ever.

PM me | Twitter

December 24, 2008 4:06 pm
salamence502

salamence502

Automaton Tech

from Montreal, QC
189 posts

Aw crap, I already know I'm screwed for MH3.
My Safari is borked, it won't open (crashes at launch). I've searched support on the internet with the console log but it doesn't help.

Fsck.

Proud Orange Supporter!
Want Dropbox? Get 2GB + 250MB of free online file storage using my referral!

December 24, 2008 4:58 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

salamence502 wrote:

My Safari is borked, it won't open (crashes at launch). I've searched support on the internet with the console log but it doesn't help.

Fsck.

Delete and reinstall?

PM me | Twitter

December 24, 2008 5:00 pm
alloutmacstoday

alloutmacstoday

Big Game Hunter

from The Dark Side of Oz
615 posts

download WebKit

Twitter | Flickr
▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

December 24, 2008 5:02 pm
salamence502

salamence502

Automaton Tech

from Montreal, QC
189 posts

jpdyson wrote:
salamence502 wrote:

Fsck.

Delete and reinstall?

I've tried that like 3 times already, and removing all of the plugins and reinstalling them, nothing works.

@poster above:
Yeah I'll try WebKit.

Proud Orange Supporter!
Want Dropbox? Get 2GB + 250MB of free online file storage using my referral!

December 24, 2008 5:17 pm
LostOne

LostOne

Automaton Tech

from Illinois
117 posts

Mhtitan.com has changed. It now shows an ad for UNIVAC.

December 28, 2008 6:21 pm
mjweb

mjweb

Sky Pirate

from coast2coast
2,343 posts

LostOne wrote:

Mhtitan.com has changed. It now shows an ad for UNIVAC.

Good show. Timely observation! Of course, the UNIVAC 1101 by Unisys was manufactured by the Atlas Computer Division which adds credence to John's claim that MH III's web server is an "Atlas".

www.mjweber.com | Flickr

December 28, 2008 6:30 pm
rampancy

rampancy

from Denial.
3,889 posts

jpdyson wrote:

I disagree w/the stance as well - digg is a good way to spread the word. I just meant that I'm putting my personal policies in my signature, as did he.

As DTL somewhat alluded to earlier, the problem with Digg is that people's abilities to use a search box in their browser appear to plummet dramatically; this was a huge problem with MHI and II on Digg in that people kept on reposting and reposting and reposting dupe stories to Digg, when stories already posted getting 1000-2000+ diggs for various MacHeist events were already making the front page.

People accused members from MacHeist (and even the Directorate) of spamming Digg and it looked that way since people couldn't even be bothered to see if their story was a dupe...I think it's gotten somewhat better though now that there's a direct link to the Digg story for the Giving Tree, for instance.

Marathon Forever.
AppShelf: MacHeist 3 Loot
AppShelf: nanoBundle 1
Check Reciept Page for nanoBundle 2 AppShelf Files.

December 29, 2008 6:02 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

Right, but to take the stance of burying all Diggs isn't the answer either. Digg is a good tool.

PM me | Twitter

December 29, 2008 7:46 pm
Loufute

Loufute

Automaton Tech

from Belgium
215 posts

And I think if you create a thread linking on the story created...
Or better, inser it in a mission

Si people will know, and problem would maybe be solved... ?

French speaker trying to improve his english, solve riddles and get free applications wink
...So, correct me wink
And, yeah, I'm orange smile

December 29, 2008 8:08 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

Loufute wrote:

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that the Directorate should pro-actively create a Digg article for us to Digg-up, instead of users each creating one. This is what they did w/the Giving Tree, and what I hope they'll do in the future.

PM me | Twitter

December 29, 2008 8:33 pm
Loufute

Loufute

Automaton Tech

from Belgium
215 posts

Oh, yes, i've forgotten the givin tree dig :$
Sorry...

Good Directorate ! This idea is particularly brilliant *whislte*

French speaker trying to improve his english, solve riddles and get free applications wink
...So, correct me wink
And, yeah, I'm orange smile

December 29, 2008 9:23 pm
rampancy

rampancy

from Denial.
3,889 posts

Loufute wrote:

I realize this is me being a crotchety old fart, but another unfortunate side effect of widespread exposure on Digg was the huge drop in the signal-to-noise ratio of the forums. There were at one time 5-10 threads in the backroom, support desk, and the front all with people who apparently failed to understand that they needed to drag the briefing card into the card slot to start the mission briefing...and don't get me started on the people who posted the vault codes to their blogs and used that to post blogspam.

Marathon Forever.
AppShelf: MacHeist 3 Loot
AppShelf: nanoBundle 1
Check Reciept Page for nanoBundle 2 AppShelf Files.

December 29, 2008 10:56 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Front » Powered by LIGHTTPD - Fly Light.

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?