Forums

Karma Coal: a micro heist?

MacHeist Forums » The Front » Karma Coal: a micro heist?
johnred

johnred

Directorate

1,869 posts

Ok, who the hell sent me this?!

http://macheist.com/img/forums/Coal.jpg

http://macheist.com/img/forums/Box.jpg

http://macheist.com/img/forums/Address.jpg

Grrrrr

John Casasanta
MacHeist Director
tap tap tap chief

December 26, 2008 7:27 am
Chriswan

Chriswan

Sky Pirate

from Jakarta, Indonesia
1,194 posts

So Santa lives in Florida... and when it is not Christmas he has an alter ego (much like Clark Kent)

Thanks a Lot

December 26, 2008 7:33 am
Adrammelech

Adrammelech

Big Game Hunter

from Gallifrey
626 posts

hehe...nice joke...
But save them, nice to have some BBQ during these winter nights.
...wonder how they got your address...

Referrals:
Free*My*Apps: Discover great iOS apps. Get rewarded!
FreeAppSlots: Play Slots & WIN!
Bing Rewards: Search Bing, earn credits towards rewards!

December 26, 2008 7:41 am
rampancy

rampancy

from Denial.
3,889 posts

Quick, someone fire up Google Earth...and who lives in Florida who can drive to Boca Raton? We really need some agents to check this out.

Marathon Forever.
AppShelf: MacHeist 3 Loot
AppShelf: nanoBundle 1
Check Reciept Page for nanoBundle 2 AppShelf Files.

December 26, 2008 8:25 am
phillryu

phillryu

Administrator

1,569 posts

That's a lotta charcoal.

Co-Creator of MacHeist, Clear, Partner at tap tap tap | follow me on twitter

December 26, 2008 8:57 am
reesmaxwell

reesmaxwell

Automaton Tech

from Eugene, OR
383 posts

phillryu wrote:

That's a lotta charcoal.

I don't know ... I got a LOT more than that during the last three days of Giving Tree madness.  (And I got five apps, so THANKS!)

What? Another MacHeist adventure is upon us? Fantastic!

December 26, 2008 9:10 am
MrStinkEye

MrStinkEye

Automaton Tech

from Out there.. thatta way
284 posts

At least, they should have sent you a full box so you could fire up the grill for some burgers!

Whadda you lookin' at?

December 26, 2008 9:13 am
Grappler

Grappler

Urchin

2 posts

Just means Santa wants steak instead of cookies and milk next time!

Looking for clues...

December 26, 2008 9:13 am
medienhexer

medienhexer

Gearhead

from Narnia
63 posts

yes!

No more envelopes filled with white powder, from now on, terrorism is going to be BBQlishious. If they can´t kill you with biological weapons, they´ll make sure you die from clodded arteries :-D

December 26, 2008 11:12 am
macpug18

macpug18

Sky Pirate

1,144 posts

reesmaxwell wrote:
phillryu wrote:

That's a lotta charcoal.

I don't know ... I got a LOT more than that during the last three days of Giving Tree madness.  (And I got five apps, so THANKS!)

How the hell did you get 5 apps?!?!?!?  Jiminy!! I have enough coal to heat my house for the next few years, and I got squat!!!  Lucky b@st@rd!!  Guess you've just been better than me!!  lol, gratz on your luck though tongue

@johnred  hmmmm.....I'm all for a miniheist to see who can find your fan!!!

You've just read my signature

December 26, 2008 12:23 pm
xray83

xray83

Urchin

from Berlin, Germany
9 posts

Hehe... seems to be a pretty nice place you have there, secret coal-man! Cypress Hammock Dr. is a sweet spot for a large coalmine.

John, are you sure there wasn't a note attached to the package, directing you by mysterious instructions onto an exciting search around the world for the sender? wink

Best regards
Don F.

December 26, 2008 12:30 pm
definetheline

definetheline

Sky Pirate

from Canada
1,512 posts

rampancy wrote:

Quick, someone fire up Google Earth...and who lives in Florida who can drive to Boca Raton? We really need some agents to check this out.

Wait—I thought real-life heists were gone this year, and we could all just solve these heists from the comfort of our homes?

On another note, having received a package from John, Santa looks like he writes an awful lot like John.:)

the greatest blog known to mankind / twitter / flickr

December 26, 2008 12:37 pm
chewy5000

chewy5000

Sky Pirate

from Terra Australis
1,174 posts

definetheline wrote:

On another note, having received a package from John, Santa looks like he writes an awful lot like John.:)

Ooh i'm always bang up for a conspiracy!

mmm... Extra chewy

December 26, 2008 12:58 pm
WhiteFang

WhiteFang

Dirigible Captain

from a cliff in the arctic ocean.
2,847 posts

Now I don't know how North-Americans do house-numbers, but if it follows the same rules as here (street starts at 1 closest to sea and increments by house, odd numbers on one side of road, even numbers on the other side), then I guess the sender address must be fake, cause:

http://www.orku.net/~thor/cypress.png

this road isn't long enough to hold 13500 houses....

(favourite paradox) This page intentionally left blank.

December 26, 2008 1:29 pm
Lokodude

Lokodude

Automaton Tech

from Norway
125 posts

American house nubmers usually don't start at 1, but at a much higher number e.g. 10000, and the number gets bigger based on some strange rules... I don't live in the US myself, but I have som friends there, and they live in a 600 meter long road at number 35577, and their neighbor lives at 34557, so no logic there... wink

By night we sail, by dawn we fight!

December 26, 2008 2:07 pm
WhiteFang

WhiteFang

Dirigible Captain

from a cliff in the arctic ocean.
2,847 posts

Huh... must be some "imperial" thing then...

Like, "the first house number shall start at 27/47 times the distance of the house from washington, measured in the length of Lincolns left foot, divided by the differential of the polynomial of the mantle thickness divided by the number of hairs on the current presidents back"

tongue

Anyhow, the sender address is in that "length" of road. Now, the houses say there's money there. The white pages turn up nothing (except "please register and give us your credit card number") - on a side note, why can't the US be more like Iceland or Norway when it comes to phonebooks online ?

Someone lives in the area and is willing to go knocking on doors ? wink

(favourite paradox) This page intentionally left blank.

December 26, 2008 2:21 pm
spyke01

spyke01

Tinkerer

from USA
27 posts

Did a reverse lookup on the address and didnt get squat...

Proud Member of the BLUE Team™

December 26, 2008 2:37 pm
bensor

bensor

Automaton Tech

from Colorado
222 posts

I think it's a fake house number.

December 26, 2008 3:18 pm
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

American number systems vary by location.  Some places, like Chicago and other major cities, use grid systems that started in Philadelphia which have a center 0/0 point in the city, e.g. State and Madison in Chicago.  Some suburbs still use the numbering system of the major city that's near them - others have their own 0/0 point (much like my suburb).  Some places don't have such a numbering system and choose to start at one number for a road and continue increasing until the end of the road.

Most places, however, follow the practice of one side of the road having even numbers and the other side having odd numbers.

Website | Twitter

December 26, 2008 3:38 pm
Adreitz

Adreitz

Tinkerer

from Noo Yoahk
42 posts

Interesting! Hope you don't feel too violated, John! Google Maps isn't always the most accurate in terms of its house numbering. It seems to indicate that the houses on this road have numbers in the 20k's, though, so the address might be fake. You'd have to get someone down there to make sure, though. The fact that the placemarker is just a circle, rather than a circle with a point on it, means that Google didn't know where to find the exact house number (if it exists).

Rather apathetic member of blue team.

December 26, 2008 4:49 pm
davekriss

davekriss

Gearhead

69 posts

It's a wonder they didn't start out as whole briquettes and get delivered as dust.

December 26, 2008 6:22 pm
Loufute

Loufute

Automaton Tech

from Belgium
215 posts

Héhé, it looks great !
Was it good ?

French speaker trying to improve his english, solve riddles and get free applications wink
...So, correct me wink
And, yeah, I'm orange smile

December 26, 2008 6:42 pm
epifany

epifany

Big Game Hunter

from Dallas, Texas
554 posts

HA, that's pretty funny!! I'm with Macpug18 on the coal thing. Sorry, I moved away from the Boca area a year ago other wise, I could go check it out.  Maybe it's from a soured developer?  Not that there are many but I'm sure with all the people you've dealt with, I'm sure someone is not a happy camper.  Or maybe just a buddy playing a trick????

Facebooks Emoticons Made Easy!

www.ORGANICPIXELS.net

December 26, 2008 7:08 pm
mjweb

mjweb

Sky Pirate

from coast2coast
2,343 posts

It's a right handed person
Most likely not American (Americans generally put the city, state, and zip on same the line)
They don't know you well (had to double check the spelling of your name)
Employed and likely skews older ($10 is a lot to drop on an anonymous practical joke)
Had access to your address (they might've once sent you something legit or they know somebody who gave them your address)
Seems related to the Giving Tree

I expect they will eventually reveal their ID. The suspect usually returns to the scene of the crime. Are you sure it wasn't one of your partners? They would be the logical suspect for such a practical joke.

Lastly, did the package actually come from Boca Raton?

www.mjweber.com | Flickr

December 26, 2008 7:37 pm
forevermac

forevermac

Automaton Tech

from The Interwebz
496 posts

The sender could have put a fake address on... did it come with a tracking number or anything? The we might be able to figure out if it was a dev that was in the loot.

Did it come with some lighter fluid?

Wow. MacHeist 4. I can't believe it's actually happening.
Unfortunately, it looks like I'm sitting this one out because of aggressive version requirements. It's been real.

December 26, 2008 7:42 pm
squawky

squawky

Big Game Hunter

from Miskatonic University
775 posts

If you check out the picture of the larger package, it looks like the postage sticker comes from Boca Raton, FL (hard to tell for sure though - the letters have the right shape) - but all that means is that the postage was bought in Boca Raton.  That's a flat rate box, so anything that fits in it can be mailed for $9.80 to anywhere in the U.S.

Likely the address is fake, but that the sender was in/near Boca Raton recently.

"I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues." -- Duke Ellington

December 26, 2008 7:55 pm
Loufute

Loufute

Automaton Tech

from Belgium
215 posts

Oh, I know !
It's the deliveryman who sends you that, that's logical !

Hum... But, is it problematic that you receive gifts ? Personnay i've received some candys under anonymous and it was pretty good smile

French speaker trying to improve his english, solve riddles and get free applications wink
...So, correct me wink
And, yeah, I'm orange smile

December 26, 2008 8:09 pm
Adreitz

Adreitz

Tinkerer

from Noo Yoahk
42 posts

Loufute wrote:

Oh, I know !

Hum... But, is it problematic that you receive gifts ? Personnay i've received some candys under anonymous and it was pretty good smile

You ate candy that you got anonymously?? You're a brave, brave individual.

Seriously, mjweb might be on to something. I'm not sure about the right-handed thing (in my experience, most left-handers write very messily, and that handwriting seems messy to me), but, indeed, I've never seen another American write the city on a different line from the state and zip code.

[edit]Just noticed -- does that Priority Mail label say "Label 226, February 2008"? I wonder if the time gap means anything. Or maybe that's just the last time the label was redesigned.[/edit]

Rather apathetic member of blue team.

December 26, 2008 9:38 pm
ravenite14

ravenite14

Automaton Tech

from New York, NY
164 posts

I don't know if this has any significance, but the picture of the coal and the picture of the address both say that they were taken by an iPhone when you download them and look at the get info box, whereas the picture of the package does not say where it came from.

When you say "I wrote a program that crashed Windows", people just stare at you blankly and say 'Hey, I got those with the system, *for free*'. - Linus Torvalds
GO TEAM ORANGE

December 26, 2008 10:27 pm
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

Adreitz wrote:
Loufute wrote:

Oh, I know !

You ate candy that you got anonymously?? You're a brave, brave individual.

Seriously, mjweb might be on to something. I'm not sure about the right-handed thing (in my experience, most left-handers write very messily, and that handwriting seems messy to me), but, indeed, I've never seen another American write the city on a different line from the state and zip code.

[edit]Just noticed -- does that Priority Mail label say "Label 226, February 2008"? I wonder if the time gap means anything. Or maybe that's just the last time the label was redesigned.[/edit]

That's when it was last redesigned.

Website | Twitter

December 26, 2008 10:43 pm
mjweb

mjweb

Sky Pirate

from coast2coast
2,343 posts

Adreitz wrote:

I'd venture a guess that the label was addressed while holding the box on line. That's why it's so sloppy. The fact that the letters dip forward and up leads me to deduce it's right handed script.

www.mjweber.com | Flickr

December 26, 2008 11:09 pm
Sleeves

Sleeves

Sky Pirate

1,497 posts

Ruh-row! I found John's house!

EDIT: Wait a minute...the Coal.jpg and Address.jpg pictures were taken in two different places according to the GPS data embedded in them. They're very close, but definitely not the same.

Iced Cocoa | KVN Media | Vimeo | Flickr | TwitterPM

December 26, 2008 11:22 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

Coal.jpg was taken near Dartmouth (likely by Phill).
Address.jpg was also taken near Dartmouth.

That is to say, not likely taken by John.

PM me | Twitter

December 26, 2008 11:29 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

The reason box.jpg is void of GPS info is that it is edited (I think).

PM me | Twitter

December 26, 2008 11:37 pm
Sleeves

Sleeves

Sky Pirate

1,497 posts

That's where Phill lives? I didn't know that...
Now why would Phill take the pictures, but John is posting them?

jpdyson wrote:

The reason box.jpg is void of GPS info is that it is edited (I think).

And you would be correct, I think.

December 26, 2008 11:37 pm
Lokodude

Lokodude

Automaton Tech

from Norway
125 posts

jpdyson wrote:

Of course he would not publish a photo with GPSdata taken at his house. John is smarter than that (i hope...). If not, he deserves getting coal in the mail big_smile (Just kidding John, please have mercy on my soul wink )

By night we sail, by dawn we fight!

December 26, 2008 11:40 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

But it's not a coincidence that the images were taken near Dartmouth, where Phill goes to school.

PM me | Twitter

December 26, 2008 11:44 pm
Sleeves

Sleeves

Sky Pirate

1,497 posts

jpdyson wrote:

But it's not a coincidence that the images were taken near Dartmouth, where Phill goes to school.

No, it's not. But where to go from here...

December 26, 2008 11:47 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

Guys, double-check me here. I have Address.jpg taken near a Cemetery, and I can't make out what that is by where Coal.jpg is. Also, Dartmouth is probably an hour away from where these were taken...

PM me | Twitter

December 26, 2008 11:56 pm
mjweb

mjweb

Sky Pirate

from coast2coast
2,343 posts

jpdyson wrote:

JP, your onto something. But the lat/lon on coal.jpg come up No Data on Mapquest. How do you figure Dartmouth?
lat 44,18.49 N
lon 71.45.65 W

Shot 12:41:07 AM
Posted 2:27:40 AM

If I didn't know better I'd say johnred was playing with our heads. wink

www.mjweber.com | Flickr

December 27, 2008 12:00 am
Sleeves

Sleeves

Sky Pirate

1,497 posts

jpdyson wrote:

Guys, double-check me here. I have Address.jpg taken near a Cemetery, and I can't make out what that is by where Coal.jpg is. Also, Dartmouth is probably an hour away from where these were taken...

You would be correct. Google Maps doesn't have a very clear shot of where Coal.jpg was taken, unfortunately. And we can't use Streetview on these locations.

December 27, 2008 12:03 am
drtaru

drtaru

from [REDACTED]
539 posts

Can you guys post the GPS coordinates?

---- Andrew Clark Macheist Moderator ----
MaxJG: i just imagined your computer sticking it's finger down it's throat and vomiting up oracle-owned bile
MaxJG: it was weird

December 27, 2008 12:07 am
mjweb

mjweb

Sky Pirate

from coast2coast
2,343 posts

drtaru wrote:

lat 44,18.49 N
lon 71,45.65 W

www.mjweber.com | Flickr

December 27, 2008 12:09 am
Sleeves

Sleeves

Sky Pirate

1,497 posts

Coal.jpg - Latitude: 44° 18' 29.4" N   Longitude: 71° 45' 39" W
Address.jpg - Latitude: 44° 18' 40.19" N   Longitude: 71° 47' 37.79" W

Hmm...mjweb, why are yours different than mine?

JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

drtaru wrote:

They're embedded in the photos, but yes.

Coal.jpg: http://maps.google.com/?q=44.3081665039 … om=1&hl=en

Address.jpg: http://maps.google.com/?q=44.3111648560 … om=1&hl=en

PM me | Twitter

awakebyjava

awakebyjava

Automaton Tech

from Outpost Gallifrey
234 posts

Anyone else know that coal and charcoal are not the same thing? Just saying.

Don't legi con comm bility unica fuse with tion.

Twitter

JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

awakebyjava wrote:

Anyone else know that coal and charcoal are not the same thing? Just saying.

Not important... it's meant to represent all the coal they dished out.

Well, it might be important that it was charcoal, but I don't think that invalidates anything we've discovered as of yet.

PM me | Twitter

December 27, 2008 12:11 am
mjweb

mjweb

Sky Pirate

from coast2coast
2,343 posts

Phill is busted!

www.mjweber.com | Flickr

December 27, 2008 12:15 am
Sleeves

Sleeves

Sky Pirate

1,497 posts

The hand in Coal.jpg looks more like Phill than John, no?

December 27, 2008 12:18 am
MacHeist Forums » The Front » Karma Coal: a micro heist?

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?