Forums

mainframe picture change? - not what you think.

MacHeist Forums » The Front » mainframe picture change? - not what you think.
WhiteFang

WhiteFang

Dirigible Captain

from a cliff in the arctic ocean.
2,847 posts

The one thing I'm quite sure of though, is that John and Phill are laughing their collective arses off over this thread tongue lol

(favourite paradox) This page intentionally left blank.

January 29, 2009 10:38 pm
Gordon1470

Gordon1470

Automaton Tech

from Bloomington, IL
403 posts

atm153 wrote:

Or, it could be all ending up with a cross-promotion with Nine Inch Nails and "The Downward Spiral".

The funny thing was, when I read this, I was listening to that album. CREEPY....

The Master would not approve.

January 30, 2009 12:00 am
blue_fireball_eater

blue_fireball_eater

from Nashville
2,732 posts

Look into this image.....You are getting sleepy, veeeeerrry sleepy

avatar is from Penfield & Jasper, 1954

January 30, 2009 2:40 pm
shougo007

shougo007

Gearhead

from India
86 posts

WhiteFang wrote:

The one thing I'm quite sure of though, is that John and Phill are laughing their collective arses off over this thread tongue lol

Sure. Cant wait to see when they stop lurking and pop up in this place. smile

▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

January 30, 2009 2:57 pm
pangis

pangis

Automaton Tech

135 posts

I think it is clear what the picture is decoding into...the new icon for Cha-Ching 2.0.  It is meant to represent the long, slow spiraling descent into madness we have all experienced waiting for its release.

For Chrissakes, GNR finally released Chinese Democracy and somehow we're still waiting for Cha-Ching 2.0??? Well, I guess "waiting for" it is a relative phrase now, isn't it?

January 30, 2009 3:20 pm
reesmaxwell

reesmaxwell

Automaton Tech

from Eugene, OR
383 posts

pangis wrote:

I think it is clear what the picture is decoding into...the new icon for Cha-Ching 2.0.  It is meant to represent the long, slow spiraling descent into madness we have all experienced waiting for its release.

For Chrissakes, GNR finally released Chinese Democracy and somehow we're still waiting for Cha-Ching 2.0??? Well, I guess "waiting for" it is a relative phrase now, isn't it?

+1

What? Another MacHeist adventure is upon us? Fantastic!

January 31, 2009 6:51 am
LordZog

LordZog

Automaton Tech

264 posts

pangis wrote:

Three words for you: Duke Nukem Forever.

Why do people seem to think they have the right to not be offended?

January 31, 2009 10:02 am
kracker

kracker

Big Game Hunter

from I'm right behind you!
550 posts

This image is really getting thick!

You are now reading my signature

January 31, 2009 6:03 pm
rampancy

rampancy

from Denial.
3,889 posts

atm153 wrote:

Or, it could be all ending up with a cross-promotion with Nine Inch Nails and "The Downward Spiral".

Hell, Trent Reznor wouldn't just do a cross promotion - he'd do his own software bundle:
Ableton Live, Propellerheads Reason, and MOTU Digital Performer, complete with the source code to everything GPL'd along with a RAID-5 array of all of the assets to this video and audio back-catalog licensed under Creative Commons.

And not only would you not get everything for free, with each copy "sold" it would contribute to a legal defense fund for Nine Inch Nails' new campaign to post pictures of themselves pissing on the front door of a major record label exec.

It'd be the Bundle to End All Bundles.

And it would be AWESOME.

Marathon Forever.
AppShelf: MacHeist 3 Loot
AppShelf: nanoBundle 1
Check Reciept Page for nanoBundle 2 AppShelf Files.

January 31, 2009 7:06 pm
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

rampancy wrote:
atm153 wrote:

Hell, Trent Reznor wouldn't just do a cross promotion - he'd do his own software bundle:
Ableton Live, Propellerheads Reason, and MOTU Digital Performer, complete with the source code to everything GPL'd along with a RAID-5 array of all of the assets to this video and audio back-catalog licensed under Creative Commons.

And not only would you not get everything for free, with each copy "sold" it would contribute to a legal defense fund for Nine Inch Nails' new campaign to post pictures of themselves pissing on the front door of a major record label exec.

It'd be the Bundle to End All Bundles.

And it would be AWESOME.

Oh, no, he would do cross-promotion but it wouldn't be for an album that Interscope/Geffen owns the rights to.  There's the problem...

Website | Twitter

January 31, 2009 7:15 pm
atm153

atm153

Automaton Tech

from Lincoln, NE
140 posts

Rampancy, your post just won the internet.  Warbrain, I agree, it would probably be something more along the lines of TTR:NIN which only has stuff from "The Slip" and "Ghosts I-IV".  Incase you hadn't noticed, I'm a NIN fan smile

Go Green Monkeys!
Dropbox Referral Link

January 31, 2009 8:04 pm
flec65

flec65

Big Game Hunter

from Montréal QC
504 posts

pangis wrote:

LOL

January 31, 2009 10:07 pm
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

atm153 wrote:

Rampancy, your post just won the internet.  Warbrain, I agree, it would probably be something more along the lines of TTR:NIN which only has stuff from "The Slip" and "Ghosts I-IV".  Incase you hadn't noticed, I'm a NIN fan smile

It would have to be anything from when he was on a label.

Website | Twitter

February 1, 2009 1:06 am
rampancy

rampancy

from Denial.
3,889 posts

Warbrain wrote:

Oh, no, he would do cross-promotion but it wouldn't be for an album that Interscope/Geffen owns the rights to.  There's the problem...

Well, I was kinda thinking about this:

http://digg.com/music/NIN_releases_400g … a_torrents

I mean, that would include some songs he performed that were on the albums he released while he was on Interscope, right?

Marathon Forever.
AppShelf: MacHeist 3 Loot
AppShelf: nanoBundle 1
Check Reciept Page for nanoBundle 2 AppShelf Files.

February 1, 2009 2:53 am
bobbykartoon

bobbykartoon

Automaton Tech

from Vancouver
466 posts

The spiral has change significantly, but it still remains a spiral. Someone mentioned a week ago about the three colored spots... they seem to be significant, I can wait 5 days...

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he has learned in school" - Albert Einstein

February 1, 2009 4:43 am
semicolons

semicolons

Big Game Hunter

from UK
729 posts

The magenta seems to be creeping back.

February 1, 2009 10:01 am
forevermac

forevermac

Automaton Tech

from The Interwebz
496 posts

Yin/Yang.

We've got police after us for heisting.

Wow. MacHeist 4. I can't believe it's actually happening.
Unfortunately, it looks like I'm sitting this one out because of aggressive version requirements. It's been real.

February 1, 2009 7:35 pm
kracker

kracker

Big Game Hunter

550 posts

there is a white and black spiral.

And the black spiral is getting longer and thicker, while the white on is the same

February 1, 2009 8:50 pm
artist-illustrator.net

artist-illustrator.net

Dirigible Captain

from Manchester, UK
3,027 posts

its LinuxHeist!
http://www.joachim-reichel.de/debian/debian.png

I'm feeling old

February 1, 2009 10:41 pm
forevermac

forevermac

Automaton Tech

from The Interwebz
496 posts

artist-illustrator.net wrote:

its LinuxHeist!
http://www.joachim-reichel.de/debian/debian.png

Oh, great. Not Debian . Just as I unpartitioned my hard drive.

Unfortunately, it looks like I'm sitting this one out because of aggressive version requirements. It's been real.

February 1, 2009 11:44 pm
LegosJedi

LegosJedi

Gearhead

73 posts

The "colored spot" on the semi-central left side looks like the Coda logo but with some transformations done to it, mainly being mirrored, probably to fit better with the spiral.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/6876/picture1ix0.png

February 2, 2009 3:26 am
boboboe

boboboe

from Eastern Canada
2,356 posts

LegosJedi wrote:

The "colored spot" on the semi-central left side looks like the Coda logo but with some transformations done to it, mainly being mirrored, probably to fit better with the spiral.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/6876/picture1ix0.png

I doubt it will become the Coda logo. Panic doesn't do bundles.

Flickr

February 2, 2009 3:42 am
kracker

kracker

Big Game Hunter

550 posts

what is with the hole in the higher right color spot in the spiral

February 2, 2009 6:07 am
LordZog

LordZog

Automaton Tech

264 posts

pranavprakash1 wrote:

That's what I've been seeing, too, but when I look at it now it seems to be a white spiral only. What I previously saw as black is actually transparent, just like the space outside the coloured ring around the spiral (still-un-decoded data?).

What are those three blots in the white spiral, though? Representations of yet-to-be-unveiled heists, perhaps? Hmm...

Why do people seem to think they have the right to not be offended?

February 2, 2009 7:03 am
semicolons

semicolons

Big Game Hunter

from UK
729 posts

pranavprakash1 wrote:

what is with the hole in the higher right color spot in the spiral

It's a doughnut.

February 2, 2009 8:19 am
kracker

kracker

Big Game Hunter

550 posts

LordZog wrote:
pranavprakash1 wrote:

That's what I've been seeing, too, but when I look at it now it seems to be a white spiral only. What I previously saw as black is actually transparent, just like the space outside the coloured ring around the spiral (still-un-decoded data?).

What are those three blots in the white spiral, though? Representations of yet-to-be-unveiled heists, perhaps? Hmm...

you have a point you can actually see though the spiral and see the scrolling numbers.
Nice discovery! What could this mean? that it is not a ying yang?

February 2, 2009 3:50 pm
shougo007

shougo007

Gearhead

from India
86 posts

Also, look at the upper right coloured circle, it seems to be merging with the the rest of the spiral.

I also remember someone mentioning dreamcast earlier...oh, and at the time of the post there were 73 users online...

February 2, 2009 4:14 pm
spyker3292

spyker3292

Sky Pirate

from WI
1,728 posts

shougo007 wrote:

Also, look at the upper right coloured circle, it seems to be merging with the the rest of the spiral.

I also remember someone mentioning dreamcast earlier...oh, and at the time of the post there were 73 users online...

Woah, it really does look like it's merging. Will it turn into a rainbow ring?

Tweet! | Flickr
Go Green Monkeys Go!

February 2, 2009 9:46 pm
kracker

kracker

Big Game Hunter

550 posts

the background is getting transparent so soon we will only see the spirals

February 3, 2009 12:41 am
epifany

epifany

Big Game Hunter

from Dallas, Texas
554 posts

I think the image must have something to do with what Johnred's reference to us posting avatars.  Just a hunch.

Facebooks Emoticons Made Easy!

www.ORGANICPIXELS.net

February 3, 2009 6:46 am
OverHaze

OverHaze

Automaton Tech

107 posts

Its hypnotic spiral just like I said!

February 3, 2009 9:21 am
dan.palmer

dan.palmer

Automaton Tech

from UK
314 posts

You know what it reminded me of for some strange reason? The logo for ShapeShifter.

I assume everyone knows about Façade from Slightly Pretentious Software. The app should do a similar task and it would not surprise me if it were in the bundle. SPS seem to 'dig' the whole Web 2.0 and mac community thing so perhaps MacHeist is their debut for Facade. You never know!

I think the pic could be the new icon for Facade.

This is a long shot, but if it is true then I will be very happy.

Follow me on Twitter
See where I am online

February 3, 2009 2:26 pm
GoldenChaos

GoldenChaos

Gearhead

from Hydrocity Act 2
97 posts

For people trying to explain why the image is transparent outside of the spiral, if you look you can see that it's transparent everywhere. I seriously doubt that the transparency has any meaning; more likely they just set the opacity in the CSS to make it look cooler. I mean, three quarters of everything on that mainframe was styled to be transparent glass so you could ogle the numbers floating behind it.

At any rate, the particles look like they were done with a scattered brush in Photoshop and then overlayed with some colors, explaining why colors spill out over the spiral and into the transparent areas beyond, meaning the original spiral layer was white. With its current setup, it looks pretty possible to see straight through to the original spiral (or at least the original spiral for this iteration of the image). I could probably trace over it and post here.

Founder of GoodSemester and ultra-webmaster of Zelda Universe and Zelda Wiki. I also have a blog that sometimes has ice cream.

February 3, 2009 2:43 pm
semicolons

semicolons

Big Game Hunter

from UK
729 posts

The Façade website has been updated recently.

February 3, 2009 3:50 pm
mr.evil

mr.evil

Tinkerer

21 posts

GoldenChaos wrote:

For people trying to explain why the image is transparent outside of the spiral, if you look you can see that it's transparent everywhere. I seriously doubt that the transparency has any meaning; more likely they just set the opacity in the CSS to make it look cooler. I mean, three quarters of everything on that mainframe was styled to be transparent glass so you could ogle the numbers floating behind it.

At any rate, the particles look like they were done with a scattered brush in Photoshop and then overlayed with some colors, explaining why colors spill out over the spiral and into the transparent areas beyond, meaning the original spiral layer was white. With its current setup, it looks pretty possible to see straight through to the original spiral (or at least the original spiral for this iteration of the image). I could probably trace over it and post here.

This seems like a very detailed explanation. Also, I know everyone is just looking for clues in hope and anticipation of the next heist, but you don't have to interpret every single design and image as a hint. Some things are just made to look nice.

BACK TO FORMULA?!

February 3, 2009 5:39 pm
GoldenChaos

GoldenChaos

Gearhead

from Hydrocity Act 2
97 posts

Thanks, Mr. Evil. Anyways, here's the spiral:

Original: http://mainframe.macheist.com/img/status.jpg

Traced Spiral: http://s5.tinypic.com/v75wyr.jpg

...drat, it won't let me post images or links. That's silly, but I've left the raw URL's around for anybody who cares. You'll have to add the http. The whole thing actually reminds me very much of the Ubisoft logo (upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/03/Ubisoft.svg), though I sincerely doubt MacHeist was able to partner with a company so strict about their DRM wink

moderator edit: converted to links

Founder of GoodSemester and ultra-webmaster of Zelda Universe and Zelda Wiki. I also have a blog that sometimes has ice cream.

February 3, 2009 5:48 pm
OverHaze

OverHaze

Automaton Tech

107 posts

Looks like the other two anomaly's in the spiral are also developing holes. Perhaps the final image is to be used as some kind of decoding tool in the next mission.

February 3, 2009 7:05 pm
atm153

atm153

Automaton Tech

from Lincoln, NE
140 posts

GoldenChaos wrote:

Traced Spiral: http://s5.tinypic.com/v75wyr.jpg

Looks Nightmare Before Christmas-esque.
Edit: Like this: http://www.anglcon.com/mimari/Nightmare%20Before%20Christmas%20Wallpaper.jpg

Go Green Monkeys!
Dropbox Referral Link

February 3, 2009 10:23 pm
boboboe

boboboe

from Eastern Canada
2,356 posts

I'm just glad we are past the DEVONThink phase.

Flickr

February 3, 2009 11:09 pm
forevermac

forevermac

Automaton Tech

from The Interwebz
496 posts

boboboe wrote:

I'm just glad we are past the DEVONThink phase.

+1

I'm wondering If i'm the only one noticing that is is solid on the outer circle of spiral.

February 3, 2009 11:47 pm
ne0

ne0

Automaton Tech

from 127.0.0.1
328 posts

I am going to go out on a limb here...

I cracked the code

http://img.skitch.com/20090204-cdswc5am7ha1ek452yk7g16smu.preview.jpg

Its gary from spongebob squarepants!

Ok, so its the best guess I got...

And for those who are avidly believing everything that is said - this is photoshoped and fake - gary is not the answer to life the universe and everything, 42 is

Team Orange!
twitter | digg | site

February 4, 2009 12:09 am
jakerandell

jakerandell

Tinkerer

from inside your computer
12 posts

it looks like the logo for an application, i just cant put my finger on what it is. it seems vaguely familiar though...

00FF00 FTW

February 4, 2009 12:42 am
ne0

ne0

Automaton Tech

from 127.0.0.1
328 posts

jakerandell wrote:

it looks like the logo for an application, i just cant put my finger on what it is. it seems vaguely familiar though...

Probably thinking of DEVONthink which has been the common belief until a few days when it began morphing yet again!

Team Orange!
twitter | digg | site

February 4, 2009 1:06 am
macmom42

macmom42

Tinkerer

from Texas
45 posts

No one has ever mentioned the strange MacHeist Twitter "His dark materials to create more worlds" from 1/6 that may or may not have anything to do with this.  It's a quote from John Milton's Paradise Lost.

Haha, Ne0, Gary looks great!

February 4, 2009 1:10 am
kracker

kracker

Big Game Hunter

550 posts

yup, changing

Now the outer is a circle and you can see a perfect spiral.
The three diversions on the spirals now have holes

February 4, 2009 1:26 am
mjweb

mjweb

Sky Pirate

from coast2coast
2,343 posts

February 4, 2009 1:57 am
zachary

zachary

Gearhead

from Tennessee, US
78 posts

It's getting clearer and clearer every single day. The tension is getting to me!!!!
[passed out]

February 4, 2009 2:32 am
kracker

kracker

Big Game Hunter

550 posts

soon all the extra fuzziness will vanish making a clear spiral

like this : http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/7383/photo292qj8.th.jpg

Edit: better pic

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/14/photo292cc2.th.jpg

February 4, 2009 2:56 am
BigMark

BigMark

Sky Pirate

from Kent, UK.
1,542 posts

I think the little icon on the spiral middle left is a clock or stopwatch, the bigger one (top middle, that looks like an eyeball) is a bug of some sort Bugdom 2 perhaps?

The circles appear merely to hold the tiny app clues, they aren't part of it IMHO.

Anyone make something of this?

[EDIT: Bugdom 2 was apparently an option in MH1 so not going to be here)

February 4, 2009 10:16 am
BigMark

BigMark

Sky Pirate

from Kent, UK.
1,542 posts

Could the spiral aspect be anything to to with BrowseBack from Smile on my Mac?

http://www.smileonmymac.com/company/presskit/product_icons/browseback.gif

A bit tenuous but could be a potential Hiest app...

Mark.

February 4, 2009 10:51 am
MacHeist Forums » The Front » mainframe picture change? - not what you think.

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?