How To Get Points

MacHeist Forums » The Backroom » How To Get Points
reesmaxwell

reesmaxwell

Automaton Tech

from Eugene, OR
383 posts

igodelaputa wrote:

people are losing points aswell... maybe there's a maximum of points in the system...

the rich will get richer, the poor will get poorer ?

Wait, some folks are losing points now?  Where is that noted?  @daba ... you might need to update your initial post regarding this.

PS  igodelaputa .. that is an interesting idea .. only a certain number of points.  Just. Too. Many. Variables.

What? Another MacHeist adventure is upon us? Fantastic!

February 10, 2009 3:49 am
daba

daba

Big Game Hunter

from New Zealand
640 posts

i'm not sure it's true, but i'll add it and pms igodelaputa.

“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.” — Arthur C. Clarke. Sharing large files and backing them up using Dropbox is just like magic, and you can get 2.5 GB of free storage when you sign up for Dropbox with this link.

February 10, 2009 3:54 am
kalel

kalel

Big Game Hunter

from New York
555 posts

sheesh, hope you cant loose points...

Get Great Web Hosting!

▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

February 10, 2009 3:57 am
hurrikenux

hurrikenux

Automaton Tech

from Atlanta, GA
209 posts

It would be nice if the amount of time finishing the mission helped with points...as long as it happened within 1-3 hours of posting.  Persons using posted solutions elsewhere would obviously have a time advantage.

Lead Developer - hurrikenux Creative
http://www.hurrikenux.com
We have some things in store...

February 10, 2009 3:57 am
jordvisser

jordvisser

Automaton Tech

from Delft, The Netherlands
463 posts

kalel wrote:

sheesh, hope you cant loose points...

you can for sure, don't have any screenshots of it... but seen it with my own eyes

formerly known as igodelaputa
( http://www.macheist.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=16129 )

February 10, 2009 4:01 am
chrisnck

chrisnck

Urchin

8 posts

Yeah I was wondering the same thing .

February 10, 2009 4:03 am
Dezful

Dezful

Automaton Tech

from Austin, TX
202 posts

I know for sure that Warbrain lost a few points earlier in the day. I wouldn't consider him a spammer though.

"If I sit silently, I have sinned" -Mohammad Mossadegh

February 10, 2009 4:04 am
daba

daba

Big Game Hunter

from New Zealand
640 posts

@igodelaputa did this happen to you or have you seen it posted somewhere. It seems very unlikely that it happened to you because you are so high up in the leaderboard.

“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.” — Arthur C. Clarke. Sharing large files and backing them up using Dropbox is just like magic, and you can get 2.5 GB of free storage when you sign up for Dropbox with this link.

February 10, 2009 4:06 am
jordvisser

jordvisser

Automaton Tech

463 posts

daba wrote:

@igodelaputa did this happen to you or have you seen it posted somewhere. It seems very unlikely that it happened to you because you are so high up in the leaderboard.

ive seen it happen first hand to someone I pm with... did not happen in one round but he went in a couple of steps from 300+ to 50-

February 10, 2009 4:07 am
Secretagent1

Secretagent1

Automaton Tech

from Canada
400 posts

for me the points seem to add over the time I wait.
I'm not sure if anybody has already said this... but could this possibly have to do with that quote at the end of the puzzles?
just throwin' some ideas out there

Team Green

February 10, 2009 4:11 am
daba

daba

Big Game Hunter

from New Zealand
640 posts

Secretagentmansecretagent wrote:

I'm not sure if anybody has already said this... but could this possibly have to do with that quote at the end of the puzzles?

could well be.

February 10, 2009 4:14 am
hurrikenux

hurrikenux

Automaton Tech

from Atlanta, GA
209 posts

daba wrote:
Secretagentmansecretagent wrote:

could well be.

Perhaps the less you do, the more you get.

Lead Developer - hurrikenux Creative
http://www.hurrikenux.com
We have some things in store...

February 10, 2009 4:23 am
jordvisser

jordvisser

Automaton Tech

463 posts

yeah pretend you're dead an win 8)

February 10, 2009 4:25 am
daba

daba

Big Game Hunter

from New Zealand
640 posts

@reesmaxwell, it seems that user "chrischasecook94" lost over 130 points (gained them again later) just search for the name.

February 10, 2009 4:26 am
davekriss

davekriss

Gearhead

69 posts

One thing's for certain.  Being lame like me gets you nowhere.  smile

February 10, 2009 4:29 am
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

I think that maybe we should stop worrying about the points and just enjoy the community...

Website | Twitter

February 10, 2009 4:31 am
delano

delano

Automaton Tech

from Alabama
462 posts

I really don't do pm's, have no real cause to.  I did notice that I am well past number 15,000 on the list, though.  The page went blank after that number, so I have no idea where I stand, or what that means.  Maybe that old saying "the first shall be last and the last shall be first" could apply here?  I kinda like that idea.

There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who read binary; and those who don't.

February 10, 2009 4:33 am
zan3

zan3

Tinkerer

from GDL, Mexico
18 posts

Its weird, I checked earlier today and had 150 for doing the missions I guess, then I posted an avatar and made a sig and now I am up to 230. Not Bad big_smile

Go orange team!

February 10, 2009 4:34 am
reesmaxwell

reesmaxwell

Automaton Tech

from Eugene, OR
383 posts

Look at all the @macheist tweets now on the front page ... they're almost all talking about points.  This is going to get crazy until the Directorates come in and talk points.

February 10, 2009 4:35 am
jordvisser

jordvisser

Automaton Tech

463 posts

reesmaxwell wrote:

Look at all the @macheist tweets now on the front page ... they're almost all talking about points.  This is going to get crazy until the Directorates come in and talk points.

if they let this going on for one more hour, twitter will collapse and the world economy will come to an definite stop.

February 10, 2009 4:36 am
daba

daba

Big Game Hunter

from New Zealand
640 posts

Warbrain wrote:

I think that maybe we should stop worrying about the points and just enjoy the community...

one way to stop us "worrying" about the points is to tell us what they're for.

February 10, 2009 4:39 am
zan3

zan3

Tinkerer

from GDL, Mexico
18 posts

igodelaputa wrote:

if they let this going on for one more hour, twitter will collapse and the world economy will come to an definite stop.

Haha, I wouldn't be surprised the way twitter is when it gets a lot of traffic

Go orange team!

February 10, 2009 4:43 am
jordvisser

jordvisser

Automaton Tech

463 posts

noticed johnred was replying on the forum, maybe he's here to activate the next heist, or tell us about the points 8)

February 10, 2009 4:43 am
Warbrain

Warbrain

Banned

from Not here.
6,979 posts

igodelaputa wrote:

noticed johnred was replying on the forum, maybe he's here to activate the next heist, or tell us about the points 8)

He pops in and posts or just checks things out.  Don't anticipate much if he's on.

Website | Twitter

February 10, 2009 4:45 am
jordvisser

jordvisser

Automaton Tech

463 posts

Warbrain wrote:
igodelaputa wrote:

He pops in and posts or just checks things out.  Don't anticipate much if he's on.

damn

February 10, 2009 4:47 am
reesmaxwell

reesmaxwell

Automaton Tech

from Eugene, OR
383 posts

It has now been one hour and one minute since I last received any points.  I'm gonna have to call 'bunk' on the point system updating every hour.  At least, for me anyway.  Then again, maybe I haven't done anything new that was point-worthy in the last hour.  Just pm'd and replied to posts.

February 10, 2009 5:01 am
etphonehome

etphonehome

Gearhead

70 posts

igodelaputa wrote:

I just did a search for johnred's posts, and the only two posts he's made in the past 24 hours have "theorized" that points can possibly go down if the system thinks you're spamming. I think that's the only official confirmation we've had about anything points-related so far. I think some of those guesses mentioned above are probably accurate though. Just try not to game it too much, lest you get flagged as a spammer.

My 2¢.

February 10, 2009 5:08 am
reesmaxwell

reesmaxwell

Automaton Tech

from Eugene, OR
383 posts

It would be difficult to devise an automated way of looking for a 'spammer' who was only posting for points.  Well, besides the 'bump' type of posts.  I can't figure out how a system could check the content of the post.  Yet, reading what I did from itphonehome, I'm hesitant to post now.  (Not hesitant to complete stop, mind you, just hesitant.)  big_smile

February 10, 2009 5:10 am
bruby

bruby

Automaton Tech

from Chicago
184 posts

I think it's clear that the points are related to how much time you spend thinking about MacHeist while not at your computer. The harder you concentrate on your points at home, the more of your brain power the MacHeist receivers pick up over the airwaves translating into points.

I think it's pretty obvious...

February 10, 2009 5:18 am
jlupini

jlupini

Tinkerer

from Victoria, BC
35 posts

Trying to find out if it's related to post count, but frankly I think they're randomly adding and subtracting points whenever activities occur on random accounts at random intervals... for now at least

"He felt that his life was some sort of dream and often wondered whose it was and if they were enjoying it." - Douglas Adams

Boom Da Ya Da - Go Green Monkeys!

February 10, 2009 5:22 am
dvq_mac34

dvq_mac34

Tinkerer

38 posts

What is the point of points. (Pardon the pun)

February 10, 2009 5:24 am
daba

daba

Big Game Hunter

from New Zealand
640 posts

dvq_mac34 wrote:

What is the point of points. (Pardon the pun)

nobody knows

February 10, 2009 5:27 am
merlik

merlik

Automaton Tech

from Lehigh Acres, Forida
207 posts

My points jumped a lot today and I don't even know what I did.  It's kind of fun to watch my points go up but I think I am just going to use the site the same way I have been and not even worry about it.  If it goes up then cool.  If it doesn't, no biggie.

Twitter Go Team Orange!

February 10, 2009 5:37 am
Handyman

Handyman

Tinkerer

from WA
48 posts

I added an avatar and didn't get any points… I really hate their resizing sad
<-- that was a nice looking avatar before it was resized.

StarTrekGuide phpBB3 MOD Development Community.

February 10, 2009 5:42 am
mwhogan

mwhogan

Big Game Hunter

from Dallas, TX
794 posts

Having read through a bunch of these posts and threads about points and all that has accompanied it, I think this is simply an ingenious stroke of social engineering. They've introduced an element that has no apparent method of tracking or causal relationship to any action of any sort, yet it has evidently caused many of the participants to drool in anticipation or flounder about attempting to collect as many imaginary "points" as possible in the slimmest of hopes that being "first" might mean something at some juncture. I can't say I've not been sucked in, it's just been interesting to sit back, reflect a little and watch the hilarity at the seriousness and earnest efforts that have ensued thus far.

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent." -- Victor Hugo

February 10, 2009 5:48 am
angeldandruff

angeldandruff

Automaton Tech

from US
174 posts

I agree with mwhogan ... points don't really mean much unless there is a cutoff for something. If its points you want, them y'all PM me ... smile and I'll PM you back

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

Proud Member of Team Orange

February 10, 2009 5:58 am
reesmaxwell

reesmaxwell

Automaton Tech

from Eugene, OR
383 posts

@Handyman .. make sure your image is 116 x 116 before you upload it.  Whatever program you got that'll work (doesn't have to be PhotoShop, but that's what I use) .. shrink it to the correct size and you'll have control over how it looks.  Anything they get that is not that proportion gets smooshed and stretched.

So, my points didn't go up during the last hour, and now at the end of this next hour they jumped up. 

@mwhogan, I think you're onto it.  I think the Directorate loves Whose Line Is It Anyway: "The show where everything’s made up and the points don’t matter!"

February 10, 2009 6:02 am
edbrenner

edbrenner

Tinkerer

from Texas
43 posts

Thanks for the tips.

Looking forward to participating. I enjoyed this past Heist, it was my first.

Go Team Orange!!!!

February 10, 2009 6:14 am
macRink

macRink

Tinkerer

11 posts

The points are confusing, could be many things

Man with one chopstick go hungry

February 10, 2009 6:17 am
bivvie

bivvie

Urchin

from Arizona
6 posts

i'm not gonna lie...i love the fact that it's so mysterious.  even if the points are meaningless, we all have to agree that the thought of being #1 is in all of our heads...regardless of whether points are given at random or there is a system at play.  if I should be so lucky to "randomly" be given a large number of points...how thrilled and special I will feel!!

Say what you mean, and Mean what you say

February 10, 2009 6:21 am
nesher.guy

nesher.guy

Gearhead

from Israel
54 posts

stuck at 240pt for a day now, changed avatar etc. and didn't see anything happen. Trying the forum posts but rather skeptic wink wish me luck

If giving up the point of being grown i'd rather make belive

February 10, 2009 6:26 am
jordvisser

jordvisser

Automaton Tech

463 posts

@mwhogan: it's social engineering for sure
- i've good reasons to believe they will split the macheist into 4 social groups
- those groups may be compiled via the data gatherd in the apitude test
- by forming these social groups no one will be left behind because his/her group will always take them forward
- by leaving nobody behind more people reach the finish and thus more people are atracted to buy the bundle
- not giving any clues and adding features without explanation feeds the social behavior
- making a "top user list"/"leaderboard" only feeds the social behavior more

some clever mind designed this social strategy.
I think we are in for a shitload of fun in the next months coming.

February 10, 2009 6:29 am
reesmaxwell

reesmaxwell

Automaton Tech

from Eugene, OR
383 posts

igodelaputa wrote:

@mwhogan: it's social engineering for sure
- i've good reasons to believe they will split the macheist into 4 social groups
- those groups may be compiled via the data gatherd in the apitude test
- by forming these social groups no one will be left behind because his/her group will always take them forward
- by leaving nobody behind more people reach the finish and thus more people are atracted to buy the bundle
- not giving any clues and adding features without explanation feeds the social behavior
- making a "top user list"/"leaderboard" only feeds the social behavior more

some clever mind designed this social strategy.
I think we are in for a shitload of fun in the next months coming.

Or maybe the the point-granting code is broken and spewing points pellmell.  big_smile  I am curious as to how the aptitude test will be used.  People can be broken down into far more groups than just four, since each question had four answers. 

Hey, that test really has me wondering...

February 10, 2009 6:35 am
daba

daba

Big Game Hunter

from New Zealand
640 posts

my points haven't risen at all for the last 12hrs. i'm just going to wait. will log out and come back in about 19 hours.

February 10, 2009 6:39 am
jordvisser

jordvisser

Automaton Tech

463 posts

don't know if they use the apitude test, maybe we just get more points via the apitude test...

February 10, 2009 6:40 am
JSand

JSand

Automaton Tech

from Atlanta, GA
227 posts

Thanks for compiling this list. There were couple on there I hadn't heard yet in other discussions.

Tweet me.
Journeying Synthetic Android Normally for Destruction

February 10, 2009 6:43 am
kalel

kalel

Big Game Hunter

from New York
555 posts

hey i broke the top 100, now if I knew what I did...

Get Great Web Hosting!

February 10, 2009 7:00 am
cash7c3

cash7c3

Tinkerer

from Denver
12 posts

Added an avatar and sig.  no points change.

I wonder if a signature adds points.  Let's try green.

February 10, 2009 7:01 am
epifany

epifany

Big Game Hunter

from Dallas, Texas
554 posts

Maybe the final saying from the nano mission has something to do with it???

"Who forces time is pushed back by time;
who yields to time finds time on his side.
-The Talmud"

Facebooks Emoticons Made Easy!

www.ORGANICPIXELS.net

February 10, 2009 7:03 am
epifany

epifany

Big Game Hunter

from Dallas, Texas
554 posts

igodelaputa wrote:

don't know if they use the apitude test, maybe we just get more points via the apitude test...

I think you've got the most points because of the great avatar big_smile

Facebooks Emoticons Made Easy!

www.ORGANICPIXELS.net

February 10, 2009 7:04 am
MacHeist Forums » The Backroom » How To Get Points

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?