133 posts

That's a shame.

February 19, 2009 1:39 am
hyprnova

hyprnova

Automaton Tech

from Ohio
213 posts

Just add this RSS feed as a source and you'll get it back.

rss://thejakemarsh.com/boxee/

Can't confirm it works, just seen a tweet about it.

Blog | Twitter

February 19, 2009 1:46 am
toddo

toddo

Automaton Tech

from Southern California
481 posts

Canisreevus wrote:

Hulu will no longer be available on Boxee after Friday

Hulu Blog

Boxee Blog

Words cannot express how angry I am at the "content providers"

I am so sad about this. I just got it working on my appletv and now this. I don't really get the rationale especially since the advertising is still there. Oh well another set back. Eventually it will get there.

Macheist team: Green Monkeys

February 19, 2009 2:39 am
TimJohnst

TimJohnst

Automaton Tech

from NY
122 posts

toddo wrote:
Canisreevus wrote:

Hulu will no longer be available on Boxee after Friday

Hulu Blog

Boxee Blog

Words cannot express how angry I am at the "content providers"

I am so sad about this. I just got it working on my appletv and now this. I don't really get the rationale especially since the advertising is still there. Oh well another set back. Eventually it will get there.

Agreed...  Definitely a dark day...  I've been a Boxee/Apple TV user for a few months now and love it...  Removing Hulu is a huge hit...  I understand it was the content providers fault but I'm totally bummed... 

Now I'm hoping for a replacement...  Sigh...

Proud to be purple

February 19, 2009 2:58 am
kracker

kracker

Big Game Hunter

from I'm right behind you!
550 posts

something that was very good just removed.

I guess this is what happens to all good things. Soon jailbreaking iphones will become illegal.

You are now reading my signature

February 19, 2009 3:02 am
hankydysplasia

hankydysplasia

Tinkerer

from Central Illinois
22 posts

For the last week I've been on and off considering buying an Apple TV to put Boxee on.  Hulu was about 15% of the reason I wanted it.  However, what is frightening is that I heard a lot of the other networks might follow suit.  That might increase my reason 3-fold.

This is my second MacHeist.

February 19, 2009 4:40 am
spyker3292

spyker3292

Sky Pirate

from WI
1,728 posts

Really sucks, but I don't use Boxee... I always use Hulu.com big_smile

Tweet! | Flickr
Go Green Monkeys Go!

February 19, 2009 4:41 am
Canisreevus

Canisreevus

Automaton Tech

from Flowood, MS
433 posts

spyker3292 wrote:

Really sucks, but I don't use Boxee... I always use Hulu.com big_smile

Boxee on Mac + 1080p LCD + Apple Remote = Across the room control with a great and easily readable interface (and with hulu, lots of extended brain mushing)

Get DropBox

February 19, 2009 4:49 am
Chriswan

Chriswan

Sky Pirate

from Jakarta, Indonesia
1,194 posts

Thanks to the complex dealing needed with the industry mogul and piracy; legal users keeps increasingly get restrictions and inconviniences

Thanks a Lot

February 19, 2009 5:03 am
gardsmyg

gardsmyg

Tinkerer

from New York, NY
33 posts

It's really a bad call on the industry's part. I can guarantee they're going to see a big hit in their advertising revenue from Hulu. So much of their traffic came from Boxee.

Real big shame. They're going to pay dearly for this mistake, and they're going to blame everyone else but themselves. They really need to oust all those old execs who don't understand how the big-scary-new-teknologee works.

I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees.

February 19, 2009 5:06 am
stevko

stevko

Urchin

from In a secret bunker
3 posts

Man, that sucks. Although frankly, I'm getting annoyed with Hulu at this point as well. Half the time, I can only get 1/2 a season of anything.

Only you can prevent forest fires. As long as "you" means someone who sets forest fires.

February 19, 2009 5:44 am
kalel

kalel

Big Game Hunter

from New York
555 posts

I read about this all over the place. And then you wonder why people pirate. They turn to torrent subscription services. Sad, because doing it the Hulu way with some brief commercials was great. And made the home entertainment systems connected to tv's so much more worth while. I am very disappointed, but then what do we expect from the broken system we have.

On another note, great MacHeist eh?

Get Great Web Hosting!

▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

February 19, 2009 5:47 am
JoshuaRJones

JoshuaRJones

Tinkerer

from Orange County
15 posts

If you use Frontrow at all, you can install Understudy which can pull from Hulu or Netflix.

Its a plugin via Google Code - code.google.com/p/understudy/

Might be useful to a few.  It works pretty decently

Green Monkeys!

twitter.com/JoshuaRJones

February 19, 2009 5:53 am
pablosinfonian

pablosinfonian

Automaton Tech

from Denver, Colorado
157 posts

Ugh.  I'm close to finishing my media center setup too.  Next thing you know, Hulu will come out with their own set-top box.  Either that or they'll partner with Sony ( http://www.theonion.com/content/video/s … d_piece_of ).

Orange and black... that reminds me of something...
Craptastic.

February 19, 2009 6:45 am
yousoldtheworld

yousoldtheworld

Big Game Hunter

from Indiana
555 posts

That's a bummer.  Granted, I don't use boxee that often, but I do use it once in a while and I'll miss having Hulu on there.

Twitter
last.fm
tumblr

February 19, 2009 6:58 am
hyprnova

hyprnova

Automaton Tech

from Ohio
213 posts

Jake Marsh has made a plugin that apparently gets around all this if anyone wants to try it out.

http://thejakemarsh.com/1808/

Blog | Twitter

February 19, 2009 9:24 pm
Hankers

Hankers

Automaton Tech

from Canada
133 posts

NIce plugin which could be a great plugin if there was a way for users outside the USA (ie Canada) to be able to get the network feeds.  Seems an IP check is made and any IP outside the US is declined viewing the Network show.

February 19, 2009 9:28 pm
hyprnova

hyprnova

Automaton Tech

from Ohio
213 posts

@Hankers, maybe you could go through a proxy? Worked pretty well for me to get into Spotify (which blocks American IPs.)

Blog | Twitter

February 19, 2009 9:31 pm
Wasgo

Wasgo

Sky Pirate

from Vancouver, Canada
1,278 posts

I'd recommend PureVPN for a U.S., Canadian or British proxy. That's the site I used last night to watch Chuck on NBC.com. It's $6 a month for access to proxies in all three countries (you can select which server). It also has the added advantage that it works on the iPhone. That means you can use Pandora anywhere in the world!

And for those that ask, yes that is a referral link. I figured that I may as well post that link, since the alternative is nobody earning money.

Silver Snakes Assemble!

Join Dropbox today and get an extra 250MB. Click here for details!

February 19, 2009 9:37 pm
john.atilano

john.atilano

Gearhead

from Bristow, VA
87 posts

gardsmyg wrote:

It's really a bad call on the industry's part. I can guarantee they're going to see a big hit in their advertising revenue from Hulu. So much of their traffic came from Boxee.

Real big shame. They're going to pay dearly for this mistake, and they're going to blame everyone else but themselves. They really need to oust all those old execs who don't understand how the big-scary-new-teknologee works.

I totally agree with you!

Need a bundle?  Here is my link.  Thanks for helping!

February 19, 2009 9:51 pm
TimJohnst

TimJohnst

Automaton Tech

from NY
122 posts

hyprnova wrote:

Jake Marsh has made a plugin that apparently gets around all this if anyone wants to try it out.

http://thejakemarsh.com/1808/

Wow...  That was quicker then I expected...  Thanks!

Proud to be purple

February 20, 2009 4:18 am
cmturner2

cmturner2

Automaton Tech

from Apex, NC
239 posts

For some reason my DVR missed recording lost last week, so I went to Hulu to give it a shot. Hulu redirected me to CBS who then wanted to install a plugin that required me to agree to grant CBS full access to anything on my computer.

30 minutes later the torrent was done downloading.

Hulu, you will not be missed.

Aquila Non Captat Muscas.
Kill for Life. Hate for Love. War for Peace.
The Darkness better defines the Light.

February 20, 2009 5:23 am
john.atilano

john.atilano

Gearhead

from Bristow, VA
87 posts

If you are disappointed with this and have not yet posted a comment to the Hulu blog post, I suggest you do.  Only with a significant public outcry will this decision change.  Look at how quickly facebook changed its TOS.

Need a bundle?  Here is my link.  Thanks for helping!

February 20, 2009 3:13 pm
MrTsMohawk

MrTsMohawk

Automaton Tech

from SoCal (back home)
351 posts

Pretty soon, the TV & Film industry will charge you PER EYEBALL to view a program, then ask for another fee if you happen to blink.

SEE YOU AT MACHEIST IV
Try DROPBOX-2gb Free online storage https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTEwMjA1Mjc5

February 20, 2009 3:31 pm
pablosinfonian

pablosinfonian

Automaton Tech

from Denver, Colorado
157 posts

I wonder if this move is related to the Wall Street Journal article ( http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/20/cabl … v-subscri/ ) that talks about networks working with cable providers to limit online show access to cable subscribers.  It seems related.

Since Hulu blamed their content providers for the move, I was thinking that the networks simply wanted to limit viewing online content to computers and mobile devices.  That way it wouldn't conflict with cable, satellite and OTA viewing.  Since Boxee is a media center, it would cause a conflict.

Either way, it makes me sick.

Orange and black... that reminds me of something...
Craptastic.

February 20, 2009 4:04 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Lounge » Boxee - Hulu

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?