Forums

READ BEFORE POSTING - Status of Heists and apps (spoiler free)

MacHeist Forums » The Backroom » READ BEFORE POSTING - Status of Heists and apps (spoiler free)
Ænima

Ænima

Sky Pirate

from Michigan
1,304 posts

This is an attempt to stop multiple threads and questions regarding the heists. Please read before posting something that may have already been covered. Current heists will remain spoiler free here with a link to the spoiler thread.

HEIST 0.5: The Hunt for Hubert - over

The hunt for Hubert began prior to the opening of MacHeist. It involved finding a curious little monkey named Hubert hidden in a trail of various websites, each one linking to the next.

This was intended as a buildup to MH and as a taste for those that were not initially invited to this wonderful world of heisting. The prize at the end was a copy of American History Lux which is still available via the first memo.

This heist is still possible to complete although not using all of the original steps.

Note: as of April '07, the heist memos are no longer viewable.

HEIST 1: Apple Internal Hack - over

The first official heist involved sneaking your way into the "Apple Internal" site and figuring out a way to get both pics and specs for the upcoming Apple iPhone. It began with an encoded message that gave you a free copy of the Notepad widget. Notepad is still available and a full translated spoiler can be found here.

You can read about all of the steps involved by checking out the "Official Mission #1 Thread".

HEIST 1.5: Split Personalities - over

The mini-heist between 1 and 2 involved the two MH rss feeds. Each feed had half of a complete message. The clues from this eventually led you to a code for the safe that got a free copy of QuickScale. For the full details check out the Mini-Heist thread.

The prize is no longer available.

HEIST 2: The Edge - over

A gentleman going by "The Edge" that that has the worst website in history apparently "cracked" some Mac apps and left us clues leading to the unlocked builds. After following misspelled words, some morse code and a trip around the (Google) earth you get to blow up a balloon of a funky image.

You can see all of the steps involved here.

HEIST 2.5: Stuck In The Amazon - on now

The official memo is Here

The official backroom topic is Here

HEIST 3: Where's Lisa? - over

Starting off with some pictures that when translated led you on a merry chase Heist 3 was a great one. After pulsing numbers, going backwards (in more ways than one), and much more you get to see red in a brand new way. Now the rescue mission is on for the Directorate.

The official backroom topic is here.

HEIST 3.5: Alice in Wonderland - on now

The official memo is here.

The official walkthrough topic is here.

HEIST 4: MacUpdate vs. macZOT - over

Hack into MacZOT and send bitchy emails in the name of Brian Ball.

The official memo is here.

HEIST 5: Puzzle - over

Go to various sites to recover puzzle pieces. Read the walkthrough for more info.

HEIST 5.5: Do you dream in color? - on now

Riddles, colors, and resistance.

Gentle guide available here.

That's it for now. If you think I need to add something to this please PM or e-mail me. If you give me details (links to "official" threads or a synopsis similar to mine) I'll credit you in this post and you'll have my gratitude smile (not much I know but I can hope).

So far Nollid and shadownight have helped quite a bit with this when I've been too slow. Thanks a lot fellows!!!

"It has become appallingly clear that our technology has surpassed our humanity."
- Albert Einstein

November 24, 2006 7:17 pm
atticusrex

atticusrex

Sky Pirate

from dfw
1,025 posts

Ænima: Take a Bow Sir... You have set things straight for the newbies... Well Done!

And a hardy Thank You and Shout Out to you as well for I feel I speak for all the otehr Mac Heads here that this type of stickie was needed.

Been Drinking the Mac KoolAid since 1984
See You in the Land Of The Useless
Neon Charity Films

November 24, 2006 7:45 pm
acearchie

acearchie

Gearhead

99 posts

Yeh im getting so annoyed with the . . .

"Macrumors wont accept my photos"

&

"Ill give you the first 2 heist codes for free here!"

this is just too much . . .

November 24, 2006 8:02 pm
Nollid07

Nollid07

Automaton Tech

from Michigan
248 posts

Thank you!

Sweet.

November 24, 2006 8:02 pm
cheezehog

cheezehog

Big Game Hunter

from The Gap
574 posts

Yeah, thanks very much dude!!

玩鬧

November 24, 2006 8:03 pm
divinenanny

divinenanny

Tinkerer

42 posts

How am I going to build up my post count now when I don't have to set newbies straight anymore?

Let's try this...

November 24, 2006 8:26 pm
acearchie

acearchie

Gearhead

99 posts

well you will just have to do the same as the rest of us:

1. Try and help do the current and next heist!

2. Post useless comments, like this one, that don't really help anyone at all!

November 24, 2006 8:33 pm
Strange

Strange

Sky Pirate

from New York, NY
1,026 posts

You did it Ænima. This is great. Really helpful for all.

Bravo to the good mod Ænima!

November 24, 2006 10:55 pm
Ænima

Ænima

Sky Pirate

from Michigan
1,304 posts

Thanks for all the support! If any of you think of something to make this sticky better please let me know either by PM or just by posting it here.

"It has become appallingly clear that our technology has surpassed our humanity."
- Albert Einstein

November 24, 2006 11:08 pm
Nollid07

Nollid07

Automaton Tech

from Michigan
248 posts

Ænima wrote:

This heist is now broken and cannot be followed from beginning to end.

I beg to differ.

Sweet.

November 24, 2006 11:15 pm
Ænima

Ænima

Sky Pirate

from Michigan
1,304 posts

@ Nollid07 - Hmm, where did Hubert start at? I don't remember and couldn't find it by searching. I see that you can still do it fully starting at whoishubert.com but from there it's only like 5 sites. I swear there was a lot more than that. A few other people have also said that the trail was broken.

Anyway, I don't want this turning into a Hubert discussion so if someone has the FULL list of following Hubert please PM me the info. If it's still completely doable I'll change the sticky.

- Albert Einstein

November 25, 2006 12:14 am
getthebiggem

getthebiggem

Automaton Tech

from Duluth, MN
251 posts

It's great that someone is trying to stop multiple threads about past heists...thanks much Ænima!

It's sad how theAmazon is slowly falling apart.
I thought Phill died...
Avatar comps. of Leo Mancini (leomancini.net).

November 25, 2006 12:20 am
Nollid07

Nollid07

Automaton Tech

from Michigan
248 posts

Ænima wrote:

@ Nollid07 - Hmm, where did Hubert start at? I don't remember and couldn't find it by searching. I see that you can still do it fully starting at whoishubert.com but from there it's only like 5 sites. I swear there was a lot more than that. A few other people have also said that the trail was broken.

oh.. I thought it started at whoishubert, but now that I think about it, you're right.

Sweet.

November 25, 2006 12:56 am
wph

wph

Sky Pirate

1,591 posts

Very nice and clear.

Now I have to decide between wading through all 24 pages of the zotadmin thread, or waiting to check for the synopsis here.

November 25, 2006 4:59 am
Ænima

Ænima

Sky Pirate

from Michigan
1,304 posts

wph wrote:

Now I have to decide between wading through all 24 pages of the zotadmin thread, or waiting to check for the synopsis here.

It's only 12 pages for me, I set MH to display 50 posts per page tongue That is an extremely long thread though and a lot of it is just people posting things that others already found.

I've taken to just reading the most recent couple to see if it sounds like anything new has happened. Also the OP is trying to keep the first post updated.

- Albert Einstein

November 25, 2006 5:18 am
Nollid07

Nollid07

Automaton Tech

from Michigan
248 posts

I've maxed it out at 75 (If there was a higher option I'd take it).  But it's still 8 PAGES.  That's ridiculous.

Sweet.

November 25, 2006 5:22 am
Mike

Mike

Automaton Tech

from Arlington, VA
384 posts

wow...but has anything come out of it yet?

November 25, 2006 5:46 am
g7piano

g7piano

Gearhead

61 posts

Nice waiting for 2.5

---Keep on Running the race...

November 25, 2006 10:42 pm
jakej720

jakej720

Tinkerer

17 posts

Ænima wrote:

@ Nollid07 - Hmm, where did Hubert start at?

As I recall, it started here: http://www.tuaw.com/2006/11/03/who-is-hubert/

Hello from [img]http://leomancini.net/other_images/logos/macheistVIP/dark.png[/img]

November 25, 2006 11:06 pm
wph

wph

Sky Pirate

1,591 posts

jakej720 wrote:
Ænima wrote:

@ Nollid07 - Hmm, where did Hubert start at?

As I recall, it started here: http://www.tuaw.com/2006/11/03/who-is-hubert/

Was there any real announcement? I think they just put it up, and people started all sorts of different places, leading to whoishubert.com and eventually the end.

November 25, 2006 11:41 pm
acearchie

acearchie

Gearhead

99 posts

yeh i contacted the guy who made hubert and he said he was first posted on the tuaw site, there are two versions of hubert. The one on http://www.whoishubert.com

and number 2 is on http://www.whoishubert.com/donttouchme

November 25, 2006 11:41 pm
sushiman

sushiman

Tinkerer

from California
33 posts

this is a very nicely organized list of the heists. i tried to see if i could login anonymously to ftp.whoishubert.com to see what there was there, and i got a 530 no anonymouss login error. but this means the server does exist, so if someone who really knows about this sort of thing could look into it...

-D

November 26, 2006 3:09 am
wph

wph

Sky Pirate

1,591 posts

sushiman wrote:

this is a very nicely organized list of the heists. i tried to see if i could login anonymously to ftp.whoishubert.com to see what there was there, and i got a 530 no anonymouss login error. but this means the server does exist, so if someone who really knows about this sort of thing could look into it...

There are plenty of threads about the whoishubert site, but I doubt it'll be used in the future. Every heist has had it's own crop of new sites just for the week.

November 26, 2006 3:52 am
charlyelamo

charlyelamo

Gearhead

from Barcelona
84 posts

thanks for clearing up, great job

November 26, 2006 7:07 pm
dasilvalucas

dasilvalucas

Tinkerer

13 posts

thanks for the synopsis.  i was getting worried that i was totally lost.  at least i am not alone.

Stay the Course
Solidarity Forever
[img]http://macheist.com/forums/img/avatars/25172.png[/img]

November 26, 2006 9:31 pm
herky140

herky140

Big Game Hunter

from the future
717 posts

You rock Ænima!!!

Borange. borange.

November 27, 2006 10:18 pm
zinzan

zinzan

Tinkerer

from Dublin, Ireland
22 posts

Heist 2.5 is go.. check out the amazon.

Edit:

Doh! someone already posted this...

Paul: "With this machine, I can be a timelord like that doctor chappie"
Barry: "Who?"
Paul: "That's the one!"

November 28, 2006 1:49 pm
EDIT-XTREEM

EDIT-XTREEM

Automaton Tech

453 posts

Ænima wrote:

Heist 2.5 ? - Unknown - on now?

No one knows for sure what this is yet. To see what's been discovered so far check out the zotadmin thread (spoilers). UPDATE: Apparently the Hubert blogging thing is not directly related to MH. I'm still leaving this here for those that are interested until an official 2.5 is announced.

That's it for now. If you think I need to add something to this please mention it here.

2.5 is on... i just finished the wiki page...

Go GREEN!

November 28, 2006 7:15 pm
Nollid07

Nollid07

Automaton Tech

from Michigan
248 posts

I added the latest mini-heist

Sweet.

November 28, 2006 9:10 pm
Ænima

Ænima

Sky Pirate

from Michigan
1,304 posts

Thanks Nollid, now that I've done the new one I'll go ahead and edit this a little more. I don't go to the backroom during heists so I can't really update 'til I'm done. If this happens again I'd appreciate you doing the same thing.

- Albert Einstein

November 29, 2006 12:57 am
IntellEJent

IntellEJent

Tinkerer

from Ohio
21 posts

Is the notepad thing really part of Heist 1? I don't think it's necessary to complete Heist 1. Plus, it wasn't in the mission briefing. Was it necessary?

ORANGE big_smile

November 29, 2006 2:20 am

promoval

Tinkerer

from Charlotte
35 posts

Great thread - thanks!

November 29, 2006 2:26 pm
epochblue

epochblue

Big Game Hunter

from St. Louis, MO
580 posts

My impression was that the Hubert trail started at WhoIsHubert.com (to which you were led by TUAW) and wound it's way through a number of sites.  The trail is still doable, though not in its original form.

The current trail goes: WhoIsHubert -> MDA -> Xeric -> WidgetMachine -> EmbraceWare -> PhillRyu -> WhoIsHubert (Don't Touch Me version)

A  few of the pieces I know to be removed are: Potion Factory, iUseThis, and Unsanity.  There are a few more missing pieces, but what they are currently escapes me.

BTW - great thread AEnima!

-- epochblue rolls with a 15" 1.67Ghz PowerBook G4, a 20GB 4G iPod, and a 2G shuffle.

November 29, 2006 2:39 pm

Thenomain

Gearhead

95 posts

By the bye, Heist 3 is closed on the Briefings page.  I don't know if this constitutes "Closed", but I thought I'd mention.

December 5, 2006 6:40 am
chewy5000

chewy5000

Sky Pirate

from Terra Australis
1,174 posts

yay for Ænima

mmm... Extra chewy

December 5, 2006 7:19 am

iPontus

Tinkerer

from Unknown
33 posts

Um, add miniheist 3.5, will ya'?

Thanks. smile

Heist:
1. A robbery or holdup: "Thousands of people were involved in the armored mac heist."

December 6, 2006 8:52 pm
wph

wph

Sky Pirate

1,591 posts

iPontus wrote:

Thanks. smile

I'm sure he'll get to it. He's just doing this as a favor. And if you already know about it, why do you care that it's on the list?

December 6, 2006 9:07 pm
Nollid07

Nollid07

Automaton Tech

from Michigan
248 posts

iPontus wrote:

Thanks. smile

done.

You didn't have to be rude about it though wink

Sweet.

December 6, 2006 9:24 pm
Nollid07

Nollid07

Automaton Tech

from Michigan
248 posts

I gave it a little facelift too smile

Sweet.

December 6, 2006 9:45 pm
archipenko

archipenko

Big Game Hunter

769 posts

ew. i don't like the box view. but hey i'm just nitpicking tongue

i check back here so often so thank youuu!

and thanks for tracing it out as well, epochblue

rocks & socks

December 7, 2006 4:21 am
macsamus

macsamus

Urchin

3 posts

Thanks for filling us new guys in!

Feed at your own risk...

December 8, 2006 4:36 pm
Ænima

Ænima

Sky Pirate

from Michigan
1,304 posts

Almost fully updated with a bit "better" format. I'll probably finish when I get back from the bar if another mod doesn't beat me to it. I'm pretty happy with the new look though.

I also changed it to say please PM or e-mail me if you'd like to contribute an update or a new heist. I'll credit you in the post if you include details (links to official threads and/or a synopsis like the ones I've done) so I don't have to look them up smile. That would be awesome.

- Albert Einstein

December 9, 2006 2:16 am

muchicuchi

Tinkerer

33 posts

Is this list correct?  What is missing?  What is different?  Thank you.

Sorry, I'm erasing this list since the title of the thread says spoiler free. I consider the apps for ongoing heists to be a spoiler.
- Ænima

December 9, 2006 3:09 pm
peejavery

peejavery

Tinkerer

39 posts

That is exactly what I got on those heists. Good listing!

December 9, 2006 4:04 pm
herky140

herky140

Big Game Hunter

from the future
717 posts

thank you so much!
TWIMC- the heist 4 prizes are incorrect, as well as Heist 5 being MIA
thanks!

Borange. borange.

December 9, 2006 4:55 pm

moksha

Gearhead

from Lexington, Massachusetts
52 posts

Heist 4 is right, and Heist 5 is here. What?

Who is Hubert?

December 9, 2006 6:00 pm

miyamotofreak

Tinkerer

11 posts

your apps for heist 4 are incorrect. The real ones are

Edit: Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I'm editing this post to take out the spoiler. Since the title says spoiler free I need to keep it that way. If you want to it would be awesome if you could just e-mail or PM me things like this in the future. Thanks again for the correction.
- Ænima

December 9, 2006 9:20 pm
Ænima

Ænima

Sky Pirate

from Michigan
1,304 posts

Hey folks, I deleted a few posts in this thread and edited a couple others. If you have questions about ongoing heists please ask them in a different thread. This one specifically says spoiler free and I want to keep it that way. Hope no one is upset if I deleted one of their posts. I greatly appreciate the interest everyone has shown here.

If you have some info to add that I'm missing please e-mail or PM me if possible. I would greatly appreciate it. Posting the info here may be a spoiler depending on what you say and I might have to delete or edit it (see the post above this one for an example).

- Albert Einstein

December 9, 2006 9:39 pm

hoice

Urchin

5 posts

I've done 1.0 but not 1.5 and have not got notepad, are you sure this prize came with heist 1.0?

December 10, 2006 9:56 pm
ouroboros

ouroboros

Tinkerer

from Oakland, CA
10 posts

Thanks for the help here. I've got 17 apps after completing various heists. Actually, I have apps that number up to 17. What is curious is I don't have app #9, which I read elsewhere is Alarm Clock Pro. Anyone know why I don't have that one? I have every other numbered app up to 17.... (which means I've done all the major heists through #5 and I believe all the official mini ones as of December 10th)

Maybe the world is meaningless and nothing matters in the end.
But the fact that nothing matters also doesn't matter.

December 10, 2006 10:58 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Backroom » READ BEFORE POSTING - Status of Heists and apps (spoiler free)

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?