Forums

Hyperspaces (Mission 2)

MacHeist Forums » The Apps » Hyperspaces (Mission 2)
phillryu

phillryu

Administrator

1,569 posts

This thread is for discussing Hyperspaces, featured as a freebie during mission 2.

Hyperspaces is developed by Tony Arnold, designed to add some missing features and conveniences for fans of 'multiple desktops'. (You may recognize him from his previous app, VirtueDesktops, which was a spiritual successor to Hyperspaces.)

Feel free to leave thoughts, questions, and feedback in this thread, Tony will be keeping watch. Enjoy!

Co-Creator of MacHeist, Clear, Partner at tap tap tap | follow me on twitter

February 28, 2009 3:27 am
tonyarnold

tonyarnold

Gearhead

from Newcastle, Australia
69 posts

Thanks Phill!

I'm loitering in the forums - and definitely listening. I hope you all enjoy my little app!

Developer of Hyperspaces - the ultimate way to customise Apple's Spaces!  |  twitter

February 28, 2009 3:29 am
Kriana

Kriana

Staff

from Somewhere over the rainbow...
385 posts

can't wait to try it big_smile

Twitter

February 28, 2009 3:31 am
cubbu

cubbu

Gearhead

from Lecce, Italy
71 posts

I love this app, thanks Directors and thanks Tony!

▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

February 28, 2009 4:23 am
orangehat

orangehat

Gearhead

from Maryland
70 posts

I was using early beta's of this app, and really, really liked it. I was just hanging on for a while to put out the $$, and now I don't have to! smile

Part of team Orange!

My Referral

February 28, 2009 4:29 am
loudambiance

loudambiance

Tinkerer

from Spartanburg, Sc
15 posts

What ever you do, don't click registration on the preferences window, it resizes the preferences window to nil, and you have to restart hyperspaces to get the preferences window to open back up.

February 28, 2009 4:30 am
daxter2319nav

daxter2319nav

Urchin

2 posts

i have downloaded this twice, and i have unzipped it, and both times, it ends up crashing.
Any Ideas on how to fix this?

Musical Phase Now: The Beach Boys

February 28, 2009 4:33 am
JMarkevich

JMarkevich

Sky Pirate

from Halifax, Canada
1,190 posts

It doesn't seem to handle multi-screen wallpapers either.  That would be awesome...

By the way, THANKS Tony!

"You have the whitest white-part-of-the-eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?"
Get Dropbox. You need it!

February 28, 2009 4:35 am
phillryu

phillryu

Administrator

1,569 posts

daxter2319nav wrote:

i have downloaded this twice, and i have unzipped it, and both times, it ends up crashing.

Are you on Leopard? Hyperspaces requires it.

Co-Creator of MacHeist, Clear, Partner at tap tap tap | follow me on twitter

February 28, 2009 4:36 am

derekl

Urchin

7 posts

already bought it... but love it, just wish i had waited a few more weeks!

February 28, 2009 4:36 am
cmason

cmason

Sky Pirate

from Toronto, Canada
1,344 posts

Ohhhh, looks like this has a UNIX-style desktop pager to switch between desktops via a single mouse click.  Got to try it out, if this does what I think I can finally use spaces the way I want.  Yeah!

February 28, 2009 4:39 am
XabiK

XabiK

Gearhead

from Spain
57 posts

loudambiance wrote:

What ever you do, don't click registration on the preferences window, it resizes the preferences window to nil, and you have to restart hyperspaces to get the preferences window to open back up.

This happens also to me; have to quit the app, start again, then preferences appear without problems

By the way: I was using SpaceSuit: it has less features than Hyperspaces (blending desktop backgrounds it's gorgeous), but it also makes the work... and it spends half the memory!

Please, reduce the memory compsuntion, and HyperSpaces will be perfect!

I want a MacHeist IV!
 Green Monkeys™ 
Sorry for my english, it's not my native tongue

February 28, 2009 4:45 am
gardsmyg

gardsmyg

Tinkerer

from New York, NY
33 posts

I reallyreallyrealy like the idea of this app so much. Unfortunately, it created a ridiculous amount of lag and made switching spaces laggy to the point of being unusable. hmm That's a real shame.

I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees.

February 28, 2009 4:52 am

mynameisraj

yeah I get the preferences problem too big_smile great app

February 28, 2009 4:52 am
tonyarnold

tonyarnold

Gearhead

69 posts

Ack - sorry about the prefs problem, people - I'll push out an update shortly. I'm pretty active in terms of updates, so I'll address stuff as I can.

As for the memory concerns - yeah, I know - it's partially why I haven't hit 1.0 yet. Using CoreAnimation has a fairly intense memory cost - and Hyperspaces uses it to a great extent.

If anybody comes across crashes (it is a preview!) just be sure to submit the crash report when you restart the application, or e-mail it directly to support at thecocoabots.com (sorry, I can't post URLs or e-mails yet - I need to post more!).

derekl - no, you shouldn't have waited. The version of Hyperspaces you guys get through MacHeist is an unrestricted version, and you will receive updates as I release them - but only until version 1.0 proper is released. If you'd like to continue receiving updates beyond that point, you'll need to pick up a full license.

Developer of Hyperspaces - the ultimate way to customise Apple's Spaces!  |  twitter

February 28, 2009 5:10 am
tonyarnold

tonyarnold

Gearhead

69 posts

daxter2319nav wrote:

Can you message me privately? I'd like to see what's causing your crash and I'll need some details from you.

February 28, 2009 5:15 am
flec65

flec65

Big Game Hunter

from Montréal QC
504 posts

That one is cool. I was keeping an eye on it and its official release. I guess I'll have to try it seriously now... wink
Thanx for offering it in MH3!

February 28, 2009 5:17 am
Chriswan

Chriswan

Sky Pirate

from Jakarta, Indonesia
1,194 posts

Thank you now I can evaluate this app more extensively, kudos for providing this as a loot

Thanks a Lot

February 28, 2009 5:24 am
izdale

izdale

Sky Pirate

from the U.S.
1,770 posts

tonyarnold, the program looks great.  Only one major problem for me though... I use PathFinder, and the desktop created by that app covers the spaces backgrounds created by hyperspaces.  Is there a way to make it show above the PathFinder desktop?  Otherwise, it has no use for me I'm afraid.

Find deals on Mac apps at Mac App Deals

February 28, 2009 5:32 am
tonyarnold

tonyarnold

Gearhead

69 posts

izdale wrote:

tonyarnold, the program looks great.  Only one major problem for me though... I use PathFinder, and the desktop created by that app covers the spaces backgrounds created by hyperspaces.  Is there a way to make it show above the PathFinder desktop?  Otherwise, it has no use for me I'm afraid.

Not at present, but I do have a few other users who are getting very upset about this incompatibility. I'll look at adding an option to allow you to set the desktop decoration window level.

February 28, 2009 5:56 am
imurph

imurph

Tinkerer

from Auburn, AL
15 posts

i must say, I have been a very heavy user of spaces.  I have space for almost every kind of app. I have about 9 in all.  but i use everyone of them almost daily.  And well..... I have been customizing my spaces for the last two hours now!! I LOVE THIS APP!! this is by far my favorite so far.  Tony you most def. will be getting my money when this is released at 1.0.  I only have one recommendation.  I absolutely love the ability to title my spaces.  I can't tell you how often in my head i deem a certain space for particular kind of app, but I don't really stick to it.  So I find myself getting lost all the time in al my spaces. Therefore, the small title that i put at the bottom of each space and then the small title in the menu bar make it almost too good to be true for my needs.  However, one thing I MIGHT ( not too sure, but it could be cool) change is if the title on the desktop would have the ability to fade away after a predetemined interval.  It might be the little tweak that sets some people off.  Other than that ill just have to wait and see how this app holds up to daily driving of my mac.  Looks good so far!  Thank you so much Tony Arnold and thanks to you too MacHeist!!  Each one keeps getting better and better.

February 28, 2009 6:21 am
izdale

izdale

Sky Pirate

from the U.S.
1,770 posts

derekl wrote:

izdale and tony arnold - im not sure how im doing it, but i use pathfinder with hyperspaces and it works flawlessly. i'm not sure how im doing it, i remember spending awhile tinkering with preference settings, but if i can be any assistance and send u screenshots of my settings or what not just shoot me a pm

I'm guessing you have the setting to hide the PathFinder desktop.  That would make hyperspaces work, but then when I click on the desktop, I am in Finder and not PathFinder, so that's not a solution for me.  But that would be one way to make it work with both apps.  From my searching, the other apps out there that can change the wallpaper to be different for each space also don't go overtop of PathFinder's desktop, so if hyperspaces added that ability, it would be the best one out there wink

Find deals on Mac apps at Mac App Deals

February 28, 2009 6:41 am
tatsumaki

tatsumaki

Automaton Tech

from MSP
115 posts

I'm having trouble setting hotkeys.  I'd like to use Option-Q and Option-W  to move left and right through the spaces like I used to with VirtueDesktops, but Hyperspaces is telling me they're used.  It says I can look for them under the Keyboard & Mouse section in System Preferences, but they're not listed there.  Any suggestions?

February 28, 2009 8:15 am
godis1coolguy

godis1coolguy

Tinkerer

17 posts

Hey Tony, is it possible, or will it be soon, to have it set different pictures in each monitor?  That is my only concern with it, I use a 20 in iMac with a second screen and it would be swell to have it do 2 different backgrounds like I usually have.

GO GREEN TEAM!!!

February 28, 2009 8:55 am
tonyarnold

tonyarnold

Gearhead

69 posts

godis1coolguy wrote:

Hey Tony, is it possible, or will it be soon, to have it set different pictures in each monitor?  That is my only concern with it, I use a 20 in iMac with a second screen and it would be swell to have it do 2 different backgrounds like I usually have.

It will be in version 1.1. There are some stability issues I need to work out for 1.0 - you know, get the basics working nice and smooth. Once that's done, I'll definitely be looking at multi-monitor support.

February 28, 2009 9:02 am
alex_c

alex_c

Automaton Tech

from italy
310 posts

thats COOL!!! tongue

i love the thumbs you can see when you click with right mouse button on themenu bar

just.. anyone know swhy the transition effect is not fluid??

I'm Winston Wolfe. I solve problems.
Good, we got one.

February 28, 2009 9:13 am
alex_c

alex_c

Automaton Tech

from italy
310 posts

ok... i restarted teh app.. and now is fluid..

other problem... anyone havign problems acessing the registration config tab? my desapear when i chose it

I'm Winston Wolfe. I solve problems.
Good, we got one.

February 28, 2009 9:22 am
fr0stbyt

fr0stbyt

Automaton Tech

from Ridgeland, MS
468 posts

imurph wrote:

i must say, I have been a very heavy user of spaces.  I have space for almost every kind of app. I have about 9 in all.  but i use everyone of them almost daily.

I do the same thing.  I have Email in a space, web browsers in a space, iTunes has it's on home and so on and so on.

1 thing I would love to see is a spaces-like desktop view when you right-click on the icon in the menu bar.  Seeing my apps in those blocks would be a lot better because I typically run so many apps.  Not every app has it's own space, so there are times when Textmate and a few other items are running in various spaces.  A quick glance at those desktop blocks would guide me to the right place.  It would be even better if like the spaces blocks, we could drag apps from space to space!

I am totally loving this app!  Customizing is awesome.  I look forward to seeing what Tony has up his sleeves in the way of future features. smile

Twitter | Get Dropbox

February 28, 2009 10:53 am
tonyarnold

tonyarnold

Gearhead

69 posts

alex_c wrote:

ok... i restarted teh app.. and now is fluid..

other problem... anyone havign problems acessing the registration config tab? my desapear when i chose it

Yah, I broke something when I put this build together. I'm working on fixes to some crashing bugs - when they're done I'll push out a new update that will have a "fixed" registration pane.

February 28, 2009 11:11 am
Muscar

Muscar

Gearhead

from Sweden
66 posts

I'm gonna have to read some walkthroughs on this, I think it's pretty confusing xD

February 28, 2009 11:36 am
compushark

compushark

Gearhead

from Dresden
78 posts

Really great App! Thank you very much!

www.christianpeters.me
Representing Green Monkeys

February 28, 2009 12:09 pm
gandalf1981

gandalf1981

Tinkerer

43 posts

Ok, maybe this is a stupid question from a stupid person, but...

How do I set the preferences for this. I run the program and it just opens up the spaces (where all windows are shown) I can`t find it anywhere,.. in the menu bar or dock.

EDIT: found it, my menu bar was full, I stopped a few things running and found it.
however, registering it does cause it to crash.

No other team is both a colour and a fruit.
We will be victorious!!

Thanks to my friends I now have the KoingoUtilityPack!
WOOT!

February 28, 2009 12:28 pm
nico76

nico76

Automaton Tech

from Germany
224 posts

Thank you very much. I already was thinking of buying it.

February 28, 2009 12:36 pm

pastore.a

Urchin

from Novara, Italy
4 posts

Hi, Hyperspaces crash on my iMac too...

When I choose the preference menu option the program crash and I can't configure it.

I have already sent you the crash log.

February 28, 2009 12:48 pm
cmason

cmason

Sky Pirate

from Toronto, Canada
1,344 posts

Hi Tony, glad to see the author here.  Is it possible to just have the UNIX-style virtual desktop pager run *only*.  For me this would do what I want, I don't really need the other features, which should make it more stable.  Even this by itself is something I would pay for.  Thanks.

February 28, 2009 1:00 pm
python29

python29

Gearhead

from SoCal
64 posts

crashed for me.  then would not relaunch.
any incompatibilities we should know about?  especially with any of the other great loot?

desktop pictures is the coolest part of the app. 

i have 10.5.5, C2D 2.4GHz, 4GB

Interested in Japan, Tech or Food?  Visit Akagumo

February 28, 2009 1:06 pm
cmason

cmason

Sky Pirate

from Toronto, Canada
1,344 posts

Okay, stupid question, how do I get the "Hyperspaces switcher" shown on hyperspacesapp.com to show up, I don't see it in the preferences?  Is this supposed to be a floating window, or something in the menubar?  Thanks.

February 28, 2009 1:26 pm
cmason

cmason

Sky Pirate

from Toronto, Canada
1,344 posts

Okay, bear with me, I see there is a hotkey to make it show up, but I would like to just always have the switcher on the screen so I can single click between desktops.  Also, how do I turn off the animation when switching desktop?  (Oh, it would be also nice if the switcher showed an outline of the windows open in each desktop.)

Thanks a lot!

February 28, 2009 1:29 pm
om3ga777

om3ga777

Automaton Tech

112 posts

loudambiance wrote:

Same problem ... furthermore I can't assign different wallpapers for different Spaces, why's that? And what does that "Draw Desktop" mean? Why should I leave it turned on if it only causes problems with other apps?

February 28, 2009 1:52 pm
AdrianRodriguez

AdrianRodriguez

Automaton Tech

from Arkansas
133 posts

I am trying it out now, how is it pretty good?

{ Recently Update My Portfolio: Check it out }

February 28, 2009 2:07 pm

jumpy7777

Tinkerer

15 posts

I have used this app from beta, and purchased it quite some time ago. It has come along way and Tony has been really great about fixes bugs and taking requests for features.

February 28, 2009 2:21 pm
toddo

toddo

Automaton Tech

from Southern California
481 posts

Here are a couple of reviews/tutorials that might help getting started with this program:
http://www.macsparky.com/2008/12/20/hyperspaces-review/
http://smokingapples.com/software/hyperspaces-review/

Hope that helps:).

Macheist team: Green Monkeys

February 28, 2009 2:42 pm
tonyarnold

tonyarnold

Gearhead

69 posts

python29 wrote:

crashed for me.  then would not relaunch.
any incompatibilities we should know about?  especially with any of the other great loot?

desktop pictures is the coolest part of the app. 

i have 10.5.5, C2D 2.4GHz, 4GB

OK, so there are a few people reporting nasty crashes like this - if you can send me an e-mail directly (support@thecocoabots.com) and include any crash reports from under ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter that have 'Hyperspaces' in the name, I'll have a look and get back to you.

In the meantime, I'm testing an updated build which you're welcome to try - it may help: http://hyperspacesapp.com/macheist-file … s_656.zip.

February 28, 2009 2:47 pm
cmason

cmason

Sky Pirate

from Toronto, Canada
1,344 posts

toddo wrote:

Here are a couple of reviews/tutorials that might help getting started with this program:
http://www.macsparky.com/2008/12/20/hyperspaces-review/
http://smokingapples.com/software/hyperspaces-review/

Hope that helps:).

Looks good to me, I just want a way to always display the switcher/pager without needing a hotkey and I would pay for this.  Maybe with the option to have a single-click switcher in the dock or menubar too.

February 28, 2009 2:48 pm
tonyarnold

tonyarnold

Gearhead

69 posts

om3ga777 wrote:

furthermore I can't assign different wallpapers for different Spaces, why's that?

Can you have a look in your console and see if there's anything printed there about Hyperspaces? You should at the least be able to set desktop images for each space! (Unless you've turned off "Draw Desktop" below...)

om3ga777 wrote:

And what does that "Draw Desktop" mean? Why should I leave it turned on if it only causes problems with other apps?

Basically, I put it in to help users who use PathFinder, EarthDesk and their ilk - it was a way of still allowing desktop labels and the other features of Hyperspaces, without overwriting their desktop. It's also good for low memory situations - turning off the desktop background (which is what this setting does) stops Hyperspaces from caching the images for your spaces, and drastically reduces memory consumption.

Does that cover it?

February 28, 2009 2:53 pm
tonyarnold

tonyarnold

Gearhead

69 posts

cmason wrote:

Hi Tony, glad to see the author here.  Is it possible to just have the UNIX-style virtual desktop pager run *only*.  For me this would do what I want, I don't really need the other features, which should make it more stable.  Even this by itself is something I would pay for.  Thanks.

Perhaps in a future version. If you're looking for the cut down experience, go into the preferences and deselect "Draw desktop backgrounds", "Animate changes to desktop". Then move into the "Hyperspaces" tab of the preferences, and deselect "Show space name on desktop", and make sure you have no custom colours or images set for any of your spaces.

I'll be looking at making the switcher window detachable from the menu bar in a future release of Hyperspaces.

February 28, 2009 2:55 pm
tonyarnold

tonyarnold

Gearhead

69 posts

cmason wrote:

Okay, stupid question, how do I get the "Hyperspaces switcher" shown on hyperspacesapp.com to show up, I don't see it in the preferences?  Is this supposed to be a floating window, or something in the menubar?  Thanks.

Right click on the menu bar item for Hyperspaces. If you haven't changed the default keyboard shortcuts, option-` will also bring up the switcher.

February 28, 2009 2:57 pm
gosox5555

gosox5555

Tinkerer

15 posts

I have been considering this app for months!  Unfortunately, my software budget is very low right now, so I am in deep debt to MacHiest for featuring this app.

NoCoolSoft, my Mac Freeware company: http://noahcoolidge.com/soft.html
Try out NoOrganizer today!

February 28, 2009 3:06 pm
delano

delano

Automaton Tech

from Alabama
462 posts

loudambiance wrote:

Found that out the hard way, and came here to report it.

There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those who read binary; and those who don't.

February 28, 2009 3:19 pm
brad@eastowners.com

brad@eastowners.com

Urchin

from Grand Rapids, MI
7 posts

Nom nom.  This app is seriously tasty. Definitely my fav this run.  It's definitely going to be a boon to my workflow.

--

I like toitals, yes I does.

February 28, 2009 3:30 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Apps » Hyperspaces (Mission 2)

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?