Forums

MiniOne Racer (Mission 3)

MacHeist Forums » The Apps » MiniOne Racer (Mission 3)
jdhoss

jdhoss

Big Game Hunter

from Minnesota
963 posts

Cute little game. I could see it be a good time over the Internet or playing a little with some friends.

Action may not always bring happiness; but there is no happiness without action. - Benjamin Disraeli
BundleSite.com
Twitter
JD's Complete MacHeist Desktop Wallpaper Collection

March 21, 2009 7:02 pm
michaelyakub

michaelyakub

Automaton Tech

from SF Bay Area, California
152 posts

My kids are going to go absolutely bonkers over this game... really nice graphics, crazy mini-environment, solid controls (just like Cro-Mag Rally for the most part)... many thanks MH3!!!

Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. The answer is no.

March 21, 2009 7:30 pm
MathieuFrogames

MathieuFrogames

Developer

from France
18 posts

Thanks guys for your kind comments!

Frogames.com - Games for Mac & PC

March 21, 2009 7:50 pm
kaptinfly

kaptinfly

Automaton Tech

from Spearfish, SD
157 posts

LEAn wrote:
MathieuFrogames wrote:
LEAn wrote:

Have the same problem. Seems like loading screen is not hiding all the times. Hope it will be fixed.

Make sure you copied the game on your hard drive.

It is already there. I can play, but at some point it  does not hide loading screen. And seems not hide before restart.

I'm still having the same problem the load screen will not hide.

Follow me and I'll follow you back! http://twitter.com/kaptinfly

March 21, 2009 8:19 pm
eleonooore

eleonooore

Gearhead

from Paris, France
69 posts

Oh, how i suck at this kind of games... good thing that car looks indestructible ! I'll try again smile
Pretty cute game, i'll just have to figure how to work on the display option. The default one is awful on a Macbook.
Thanks, MacHeist, i'm sure any kid near my Mac will know what to do, now smile

Go Green Monkeys!

March 21, 2009 8:40 pm
ubiquitous

ubiquitous

Gearhead

75 posts

To the developer. You still have not answered some of the questions several have asked.

1) Why does it say "Torque Demo OS X" in the menubar. Is this game just a Demo.
2) Why does Command-Q not work.

Question #1 has been answered, missed the earlier post that it is a "cosmetic bug". Still looking for an answer to #2.

"All human behaviour is motivated by one or more of these seven elements: Chance, Nature, Compulsion, Habit, Reason, Passion and Desire" – Anonymous

March 21, 2009 8:45 pm
msxgames

msxgames

Tinkerer

22 posts

SUper mais c'est con de laisser des prompt 'Yes/no" dans la version française. Content tout de m$eme de voir ce jeu enfin sorti! Félicitations et merci.

Hello world, check my deezer playlist!
http://www.deezer.com/user/xlixells

March 21, 2009 10:10 pm
macbruski

macbruski

Automaton Tech

from Ireland
180 posts

Here's a review I found: http://news.bigdownload.com/2008/12/08/ … ne-racing/

▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

March 21, 2009 10:15 pm
joelwilliam

joelwilliam

Tinkerer

from Australia
20 posts

This would have the be the worst racing game I've ever played. Seriously the controls feel so horrible, no matter what speed you are travelling, the car always turns the same. There is no sliding around corners or loss of traction if you are going too fast.

And half of the power-ups are pointless and end up costing you the race. What good is the black ring effect? Even the invisibility has no benefit, it just makes it harder to see where you are in the race.

This game needs lots and lots of work to make it even mildly enjoyable as a toy car racing game.

Please use my referral, I'll remove after I get two! http://www.macheist.com/bundle/u/165993/

THANKS big_smile

March 22, 2009 2:39 am
Bloake

Bloake

Automaton Tech

from Long Island, NY
269 posts

YOO!! This game is FUNN!!! I've been playing for like 2 hours now. Seriously, I need to get back to studying :-p I love it. It brings back a lot of childhood memories. I wonder if there's an iPhone app of this game...

Hi smile

March 22, 2009 2:56 am
ChaoticGemini

ChaoticGemini

Tinkerer

from St. Louis, MO
17 posts

There is no way to remember your progress. After winning the 100cc league, you unlock extra maps, and can play the 150cc, but if you quit your game, you have start all over again. Essentially, that means you have to go through all the leagues each time. I don't have that much time to play continuously.

Also, when I try to play a 150cc league, the load screen says loading objects and stops at 100% and will not let me go any further into the game.

I'm not sure if I'll bother to spend anymore time with this. It's a fun little diversion, but it has too many problems to make it enjoyable.

March 22, 2009 3:32 am
feedpuppy

feedpuppy

Big Game Hunter

from H town
710 posts

It's actually not a bad game. Although it's probably better for kids.

How do you say goodbye?

March 22, 2009 4:46 am
vansouza

vansouza

Sky Pirate

from Las Vegas, USA Earth Milky Way
1,075 posts

Reminds me of Toontown at Disneyland... liking it.

www.usheroes.us Pray for Peace. Go Orange!

March 22, 2009 5:12 am
gameguy3001

gameguy3001

Automaton Tech

from "Toontown" - Canada
331 posts

This game is surprisingly fun. I love the cartoony graphics.

Orange you glad I didn't make a pun?

March 22, 2009 5:24 am
python29

python29

Gearhead

from SoCal
64 posts

network lan play does not work

Interested in Japan, Tech or Food?  Visit Akagumo

March 22, 2009 7:09 am
WebKarnage

WebKarnage

Big Game Hunter

from UK
776 posts

I am away from home and haven't had a chance to try and get the network play yet, but this is a right giggle! I found myself shouting 'Oi!' at the screen far too much!!

Great bit of loot for giving you a break from the serious stuff. This and BabelBloxx are the 2 MacHeist games I have that'll get use!

The Optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds, the Pessimist fears this is true.

March 22, 2009 7:30 am
MintCreation

MintCreation

Sky Pirate

from Daddy Heaven :D
1,478 posts

Installed it and registered it without a problem..

It is actually a nice little racing game although the AI is (as mentioned) quite frustrating.. They start each race with much better acceleration and for some reason the last lap is always quite difficult, while the first ones are easy to maintain a lead in.

The different levels are actually quite cute, but they could be longer and with more variation, but I will live with that. The power ups seems rather limited and boring.

It is overall a good game that I don't mind spending a 10 min break on. If I should compare it to something else it would be the Micro Machines series, but it does not come close in any way though sad

But cute and since it was free I won't complain.

I am not an agent in real life, only on weekends!

March 22, 2009 8:01 am
sedmonds

sedmonds

Tinkerer

from San Francisco Bay Area
34 posts

The game opens under a Torque Demo game engine for me. 

Any one else see this when starting the game?  Normal?

Thanks.

March 22, 2009 8:12 am
estemuchacho2

estemuchacho2

Automaton Tech

from Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico
374 posts

I have a lot of trouble with the full-sized courses, because the frame rate slows down so much that I can't tell what's happening.  Probably because I'm on a 3-year-old MacBook, and it can't handle much in the way of graphics…  In fact, I even sometimes get frustrating choppiness on menus (!), such that the mouse doesn't move fluidly.  Too bad, because it looks like a fun game, even if it still needs some fine-tuning.

lenordbater wrote:

Cmd-Q doesn't so much work.  Kind of annoying.

A fun little game, but why ignore UI conventions?

I agree.  I like being able to quit without backing up through various levels of menus.  I suppose you could force quit from the dock or menu bar.  That would be a little more work than I'm used to, but much less mousing around than the other option.

Anomaly112 wrote:

Powerups are flawed. They either have little effect or they hurt you BIG time. Because this is an arcade racer, this greatly impacts the experience.

IMHO, let's try keeping games out of the next bundle.

Personally, I like getting the odd game, now and again.  And I know others have requested them.  It's hard to please everyone though. 

MathieuFrogames wrote:
ajames92 wrote:

The problem is that mac-users have come to expect all apps to be just one single file, not lots dotted around the place like on windows.

Feel free to only copy the application on your hard drive. We ask users to copy the folder but only because it contains information about how to play the game and how to contact us if necessary (things that can't be bundled with the application .app.

It's true that the user manuals, license files and such are commonly distributed as separate files from the app.  But I don't think that's what ajames92 was referring to.  Rather, it was the folder entitled "images" (which contains bonusboost.jpg, bonusinvisi.jpg, etc.?  Because it looks like these are images meant for use by the app.  It is odd to see them stored external to the app itself.  But that's a minor quibble, in my opinion.

sedmonds wrote:

The game opens under a Torque Demo game engine for me. 

Any one else see this when starting the game?  Normal?

Thanks.

Actually, this was answered previously.  It's just a cosmetic flaw, left over from earlier in development (I take it this game is brand new), and will be corrected in the next version.  I'm not sure if we are entitled to that version as a free update.

Dropbox referral link; SugarSync referral link

March 22, 2009 9:42 am
MintCreation

MintCreation

Sky Pirate

1,478 posts

estemuchacho2 wrote:

It's true that the user manuals, license files and such are commonly distributed as separate files from the app.  But I don't think that's what ajames92 was referring to.  Rather, it was the folder entitled "images" (which contains bonusboost.jpg, bonusinvisi.jpg, etc.?  Because it looks like these are images meant for use by the app.  It is odd to see them stored external to the app itself.  But that's a minor quibble, in my opinion.

The images in the folder are only used for the html help file and nothing else. As mentioned I just dragged the application into the apps folder and deleted the rest.

March 22, 2009 9:50 am
Lioness

Lioness

Sky Pirate

from Universe (Sweden)
1,474 posts

It's a cute game, and I who are not a gamer and usually don't like these kinds of games feels entertained by this. Will probably play around with this a bit here and there, as a mind relaxing, joyful, playful childish thing. smile

twitter | website
dropbox referral +250MB | minus invite +1GB

March 22, 2009 9:56 am
Snowman

Snowman

Tinkerer

from North Pole
36 posts

Anyone know that how to play this game online??

⚡⚡

March 22, 2009 1:45 pm
MintCreation

MintCreation

Sky Pirate

1,478 posts

Snowman wrote:

Anyone know that how to play this game online??

When launching the game, press play and then single race.

Then choose play vs friends, and create or join a server. If you make a server people will join using your ip address and a password (if selected).

A couple of ports need to be open in order to play, those are mentioned in the game setup.

You can also find online servers, but when I tried to refresh sever list I only found one server, so perhaps it is not THAT widely used online smile

March 22, 2009 2:24 pm
Snowman

Snowman

Tinkerer

from North Pole
36 posts

Thanks so much MintCreation.

⚡⚡

March 22, 2009 2:55 pm
MathieuFrogames

MathieuFrogames

Developer

from France
18 posts

ubiquitous wrote:

2) Why does Command-Q not work.

It's more complicated than it's seems. We'll try to find a solution for the next version.

joelwilliam wrote:

This would have the be the worst racing game I've ever played. Seriously the controls feel so horrible, no matter what speed you are travelling, the car always turns the same. There is no sliding around corners or loss of traction if you are going too fast.

MiniOne Racing is not a simulation game, it's an arcade game. But I can understand you do not like it that way smile

joelwilliam wrote:

And half of the power-ups are pointless and end up costing you the race. What good is the black ring effect? Even the invisibility has no benefit, it just makes it harder to see where you are in the race.

The "black ring" is not a bonus, it's a malus. With invisibility you're a little safer than without: other cars have a lot more difficulty shooting at you.

ChaoticGemini wrote:

There is no way to remember your progress. After winning the 100cc league, you unlock extra maps, and can play the 150cc, but if you quit your game, you have start all over again. Essentially, that means you have to go through all the leagues each time. I don't have that much time to play continuously.

That's absolutely not intended. How did you quitted the game? You must quit the game correctly for the preferences to be saved. You can use the "esc" key to help you naviguate into the menu screens.

estemuchacho2 wrote:

I have a lot of trouble with the full-sized courses, because the frame rate slows down so much that I can't tell what's happening.  Probably because I'm on a 3-year-old MacBook, and it can't handle much in the way of graphics…  In fact, I even sometimes get frustrating choppiness on menus (!), such that the mouse doesn't move fluidly.  Too bad, because it looks like a fun game, even if it still needs some fine-tuning.

Unfortunately MacBooks have slow graphic cards sad
You can try to play with the options to get a fluidier game.

estemuchacho2 wrote:

Oh ok, I see now! smile
The "images" folder is only used or the Readme, we didn't had time to make a proper PDF yet.

March 22, 2009 3:01 pm
sky_lark

sky_lark

Gearhead

from North Carolina
56 posts

Yeah, my file failed to mount.  However, I downloaded it again and it worked fine.  Then I had to enter in the serial code manually.

It's an interesting game.  It's clearly aimed at younger kids, and it gets boring after a while.  There are only a few tracks, and only a few options.  Other than that, it's OK.

March 22, 2009 4:09 pm
iceprincess0966

iceprincess0966

Automaton Tech

from Illinois
208 posts

No problems downloading or registering.

Playing?  That's another matter.  Let's just say that nobody is going to ever accuse me of being coordinated.  But the graphics are top notch, including the options screens at the beginning.  Definitely eye candy to me.  I'm considering trying the penguin game as well.

Thank you to the people who bought the bundle using my referral link

March 22, 2009 6:35 pm
andr0092

andr0092

Automaton Tech

118 posts

I partially take back my complaints about it not being a single file.  But it would be better if the manual was in-game

Twitter | Last.fm | DropBox Referral |

March 22, 2009 6:57 pm
phillip.hahn

phillip.hahn

Automaton Tech

from Germany
159 posts

How do you unlock the maps in the game?

Team Green Monkeys™: "It's monkey business!!!"

March 22, 2009 7:12 pm
choma

choma

Automaton Tech

from uk
496 posts

When you beat the other little cars in the championship levels, it unlocks another map!

Use my DROPBOX link and we both get an extra 250mb free!
https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTYxNTMzNDk

March 22, 2009 7:27 pm
WebKarnage

WebKarnage

Big Game Hunter

from UK
776 posts

The LAN system I have yet to see work, with several attempts using different computers. We always get the person joining looking at a blank screen with sound only. This is the one question studiously avoided by the developer, who answered pretty much everything else asked in the thread. I'll send an email.

BTW MacBooks can run it fine, I'm just not sure if it's having more RAM or having the Core2Duo processor that's making the difference. My sister's MacBook ran it a bit shakily with 1GB RAM on a CoreDuo and mine runs it really well on a Core2Duo with 4GB RAM. Both have the older graphics cards.

The Optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds, the Pessimist fears this is true.

March 22, 2009 7:52 pm
bhp

bhp

Automaton Tech

from San Antonio, TX
266 posts

App starts, but goes to a blank screen for me.  Can't do anything other than shut it down.

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker.
Thomas J. Watson

March 22, 2009 8:26 pm
ChaoticGemini

ChaoticGemini

Tinkerer

from St. Louis, MO
17 posts

MathieuFrogames wrote:
ChaoticGemini wrote:

That's absolutely not intended. How did you quitted the game? You must quit the game correctly for the preferences to be saved. You can use the "esc" key to help you naviguate into the menu screens.

I used the back button in the bottom corner of the the game. I'll have to try it again with the esc key.

March 22, 2009 11:59 pm
ezwriterone

ezwriterone

Urchin

from Chicago
9 posts

Deleting the extra space in the serial worked for me. Thanks.

March 23, 2009 2:30 am
mhedstrom

mhedstrom

Tinkerer

from Denver, CO
39 posts

Decent game. I'm having major issues with the camera angles though - I can't really find one I like.  Maybe it's just me.  Will be a nice distraction though. smile

March 23, 2009 4:04 am
lyndonl

lyndonl

Tinkerer

from South Africa
24 posts

Its a cool little game my problem is that if you race and unlock trackes or do the championships or if you change any options e.g. graphics sound etc and exit the game nothing is saved. according to the dev's site that issue was fixed in 1.0.1 and we have 1.0.2.
I have posted a message in their support forum.

March 23, 2009 1:29 pm
iDarbert

iDarbert

Big Game Hunter

from Lost Town
700 posts

Just a quick update...
I played it for a whole afternoon and clashed agains the terrible bugs this game has.

After I finish a championship it just won't let me play the following one, it would just hang at loading objects 100%, so I have to create another profile to continue.
I finally unlocked the 150cc league and start the first match. The game hangs again at 100% in the second track and I go back to the menu, I try to start again and the 150cc league is locked again.

I ragequitted and trashed the game.
Sorry...

March 23, 2009 1:36 pm
JackV

JackV

Sky Pirate

from Germany
1,072 posts

ChaoticGemini wrote:

Also, when I try to play a 150cc league, the load screen says loading objects and stops at 100% and will not let me go any further into the game.

I'm not sure if I'll bother to spend anymore time with this. It's a fun little diversion, but it has too many problems to make it enjoyable.

I had the same problem. I thought it it is of a lack of Internet connection i am suffering right now at home, but my other "records" (e.g. my jumping records) were saved.

otherwise, i enjoyed playing it.

greetings,
jack

I write about Juice on Entsafter.co

March 23, 2009 1:42 pm
lyndonl

lyndonl

Tinkerer

from South Africa
24 posts

well I posted my support forum request about this issue 7 hours ago with no replies so far.

March 23, 2009 6:24 pm
JonNiss

JonNiss

Gearhead

51 posts

iDarbert wrote:

Just a quick update...
I played it for a whole afternoon and clashed agains the terrible bugs this game has.

After I finish a championship it just won't let me play the following one, it would just hang at loading objects 100%, so I have to create another profile to continue.
I finally unlocked the 150cc league and start the first match. The game hangs again at 100% in the second track and I go back to the menu, I try to start again and the 150cc league is locked again.

I ragequitted and trashed the game.
Sorry...

I have experienced the same problem. After finishing the 50cc league the game couldn't load any other game.
Very frustrating as I enjoyed the game.
Had to trash it as well. Glad it was for free and that I didn't have to pay for it....

▛▞▞▟  Proud Member of the GREEN Team™  ▙▚▚▜

Find out more about GREEN

March 23, 2009 8:25 pm
WebKarnage

WebKarnage

Big Game Hunter

from UK
776 posts

Even removing the folder in Application Support only means you have to enter the serial number again, it doesn't fix the 'Can't start loads of game types' problem. My kid is really disappointed.

March 23, 2009 8:31 pm
MathieuFrogames

MathieuFrogames

Developer

from France
18 posts

lyndonl wrote:

well I posted my support forum request about this issue 7 hours ago with no replies so far.

Working during the weekend, trying to answer to every mail we got from MacHeist users, sleeping a little... you know it's not like we're ignoring you lyndonl. If you don't have an answer yet it's that we're working on it. wink

March 23, 2009 9:00 pm
MathieuFrogames

MathieuFrogames

Developer

from France
18 posts

lyndonl wrote:

Its a cool little game my problem is that if you race and unlock trackes or do the championships or if you change any options e.g. graphics sound etc and exit the game nothing is saved. according to the dev's site that issue was fixed in 1.0.1 and we have 1.0.2.

By the way 3 things about that:
- You *must* click on "Apply" to apply the graphics options you selected.
- you must finsih a championship to save it's result. You can't play 2 maps, quit, restart and continue the championship.
- You must quit the game properly for everything to save properly for your next game session.

Tell me if anything here helps you.

March 23, 2009 9:08 pm
Lattan

Lattan

Tinkerer

41 posts

MathieuFrogames wrote:
lyndonl wrote:

By the way 3 things about that:
- You *must* click on "Apply" to apply the graphics options you selected.
- you must finsih a championship to save it's result. You can't play 2 maps, quit, restart and continue the championship.
- You must quit the game properly for everything to save properly for your next game session.

Tell me if anything here helps you.

I beat all three championships and quit and restarted and nothing is unlocked. I've also played single championships and quit, and they aren't unlocked. Basically, the game doesn't save any data at all as far as I can tell.

March 23, 2009 9:12 pm
MathieuFrogames

MathieuFrogames

Developer

from France
18 posts

WebKarnage wrote:

Even removing the folder in Application Support only means you have to enter the serial number again, it doesn't fix the 'Can't start loads of game types' problem. My kid is really disappointed.

Can anyone having this issue try the following please?
- Right click on MiniOne Racing application and select "Show contents"
- In the new window go to Contents/Ressources/racing/data/missions/
- Delete all track**_******.ml files (only the .ML!)
- Start the game and try a Leagues/Free Tracks game

March 23, 2009 9:13 pm
nkoschate@sympatico.ca

nkoschate@sympatico.ca

Tinkerer

10 posts

this game is really good in class when teachers are droning on about stuff.

March 23, 2009 9:24 pm
MathieuFrogames

MathieuFrogames

Developer

from France
18 posts

Ok, just to let you know guys. We identified the problem... we now need to fix it.

March 23, 2009 10:00 pm
WebKarnage

WebKarnage

Big Game Hunter

from UK
776 posts

MathieuFrogames wrote:
WebKarnage wrote:

Can anyone having this issue try the following please?
- Right click on MiniOne Racing application and select "Show contents"
- In the new window go to Contents/Ressources/racing/data/missions/
- Delete all track**_******.ml files (only the .ML!)
- Start the game and try a Leagues/Free Tracks game

Just to let you know, I did re-download the game, delete everything from the Application Support folder and got the problem as was.

March 23, 2009 10:18 pm
MathieuFrogames

MathieuFrogames

Developer

from France
18 posts

I made a quick fix for the saving problems.
Please try it and tell me if it's working for you:
http://frogames.com/minione_racing/down … 01.0.3.dmg

March 23, 2009 10:38 pm
tenn

tenn

Automaton Tech

from over there
149 posts

Thanks Mathieu! I will try it now!

I love macheist because I love free software and fun while getting it! visit: engadget.com, tuaw.com, appleinsider.com, and gdgt.com for the best news on macs!

March 23, 2009 11:37 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Apps » MiniOne Racer (Mission 3)

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?