Forums

★ Espresso

MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ Espresso
johnred

johnred

Directorate

1,869 posts

Post your thoughts about Espresso here.

(If you have any Espresso support related issues, please post them here.)

John Casasanta
MacHeist Director
tap tap tap chief

March 25, 2009 2:00 am
KGameLover1

KGameLover1

Automaton Tech

from East USA
198 posts

I WANT ESPRESSOOO!!!!!!!!! WHEN WILL IT BE UNLOCKED????

GO GREEN!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!
brendo_91: He's Waaaarbrain, Warbrain the pirate cloown.... he'll walk you off the plank... and in the ocean you'll drooown.

March 25, 2009 2:01 am
cubbu

cubbu

Gearhead

from Lecce, Italy
71 posts

When will espresso be unlocked? DO WANTTTT

▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

March 25, 2009 2:06 am
abfa00

abfa00

Gearhead

from Boston, MA
60 posts

I've been using the betas and I love it.. then 1.0 was released only a couple days ago, which seemed to pretty much guarantee it'd be in the bundle. Yay smile

https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTEwNDUyMDk

March 25, 2009 2:09 am

freerobby

Urchin

from Massachusetts
8 posts

I'm so pumped for this.

March 25, 2009 2:12 am
rascalb

rascalb

Tinkerer

from Woburn, MA, USA
32 posts

I am not the best when it comes to web coding, but I have dabbled with Panic's Coda. This seems like a direct competitor. Is that correct?

"Nothing is impossible to someone who is impervious to reason."

Everyone knows greens are good for you.

March 25, 2009 2:12 am

freerobby

Urchin

from Massachusetts
8 posts

Yeah.

March 25, 2009 2:14 am
cubbu

cubbu

Gearhead

from Lecce, Italy
71 posts

rascalb wrote:

I am not the best when it comes to web coding, but I have dabbled with Panic's Coda. This seems like a direct competitor. Is that correct?

Yes, they are direct competitor. At the moment I can't say what's the best, but I liked "sites" in Coda and the "navigator" sidebar in Espresso. They are very similiar, I think. But Expresso will be *practically* free, thanks to MacHeist!

▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

March 25, 2009 2:16 am
ajvestal

ajvestal

Urchin

from Columbia, MO
8 posts

So, how do the two apps (Espresso and Coda) compare? I've had my eye on Coda for css/html/php coding et al. for awhile now. Is Espresso (with the PHP "sugar") a worthy competitor?

~Allan James Vestal
  Student
  Missouri School of Journalism

March 25, 2009 2:17 am
apoltix

apoltix

Urchin

from Copenhagen, Denmark
9 posts

You could try it out for yourself. Espresso will almost without a doubt be unlocked after a couple of days, so you can always use that, and then buy Coda if you don't like it.

macmacmac

March 25, 2009 2:22 am
RudeEd

RudeEd

Automaton Tech

from Germany
117 posts

i really thought about getting espresso (as i followed the beta etc.) but its quite expensive.
I was watching the screencast hoping all the time hearing about espresso and the last (the LAST) app is it! Absolutely awesome!

My German Blog about Design, OSX and Macheist
Twitter
▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

March 25, 2009 2:29 am
tboytim98

tboytim98

Gearhead

from Valencia, CA
85 posts

I want it!  Betas have been good so far.  It seems a little simpler to me than coda (i've used both) which is nice.  Can't wait till its unlocked.

▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜
Finally got my bundle!  Took me long enough.

March 25, 2009 2:30 am
feedpuppy

feedpuppy

Big Game Hunter

from H town
710 posts

The current download link is still public beta version. Why not 1.0 version? Will the link be updated once the money is reached?

How do you say goodbye?

March 25, 2009 2:30 am

Flikkeshaug

Tinkerer

from Norway
11 posts

This is awesome! I was dreaming for Coda, but fuck, Espresso looks good!

March 25, 2009 2:39 am

Flikkeshaug

Tinkerer

from Norway
11 posts

This is awesome! I was dreaming for Coda, but fuck, Espresso looks good!

March 25, 2009 2:39 am

Flikkeshaug

Tinkerer

from Norway
11 posts

This is awesome! I was dreaming for Coda, but fuck, Espresso looks good!

March 25, 2009 2:39 am

Flikkeshaug

Tinkerer

from Norway
11 posts

This is awesome! I was dreaming for Coda, but fuck, Espresso looks good!

March 25, 2009 2:39 am

Flikkeshaug

Tinkerer

from Norway
11 posts

This is awesome! I was dreaming for Coda, but fuck, Espresso looks good!

March 25, 2009 2:39 am
Shepherdboy

Shepherdboy

Gearhead

from Woodstock, GA
66 posts

I'm very excited about Espresso.  I have a PHP project coming up and have been looking for a more full-featured editor to use in place of Text Wrangler for programming.

Go Green Team!
-----------------------
Homeschool Pen
Sharing Our Homeschooling Experience

March 25, 2009 2:42 am
traviest

traviest

Tinkerer

from TN
28 posts

So excited for this one.


▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

March 25, 2009 2:45 am
jminnihan

jminnihan

Tinkerer

from Lake Saint Louis, MO USA
39 posts

I have Coda already, but if Expresso has some features that Coda doesn't that I can use that will be a good thing. Also it will be great to see some competition between the Coda and Expresso developers to one up the other guys!

>>> A Proud member of the Orange Team!  big_smile
Please order thru one of my Orange Team referral links below!
http://www.macheist.com/bundle/u/238723/
http://www.macheist.com/bundle/u/55444/

March 25, 2009 3:53 am
OneGnome98

OneGnome98

Automaton Tech

from Durham, NC
152 posts

ajvestal wrote:

... Is Espresso (with the PHP "sugar") a worthy competitor?

What is this? I just looked it up. I found the PHP sugar on Google code that is maintained by someone at macrabbit.com.  Reads like the PHP sugar still needs work.  I used the beta while not knowing of this sugar and was very disappointed in Espresso's lack of PHP support. But finding out about this sugar leaves me with hope. Espresso could work for me.

March 25, 2009 3:53 am
JMVKhadafi

JMVKhadafi

Automaton Tech

306 posts

I downloaded the trial yesterday but haven't gotten a chance to use it. My friend loves it though: he was happy when I told him it is in this years bundle. smile

March 25, 2009 3:54 am

leeadkins

Urchin

from TN
1 posts

I love CSSEdit, and I've enjoyed using Espresso in its beta phase. I held off on buying it when they announced the 1.0 version the other day because I had a feeling it'd make an appearance today. Yay for waiting, because this thing will be unlocked pretty soon.

March 25, 2009 3:55 am
feedpuppy

feedpuppy

Big Game Hunter

from H town
710 posts

Let's hope it will be unlocked. I'm sure many people including me will be very upset if it isn't unlocked. sad

How do you say goodbye?

March 25, 2009 4:23 am
fleet117

fleet117

Tinkerer

from Canada
32 posts

Anyone know how Espresso compares to using BBEdit 9 for web page development?  I've been using BBEdit but really like the idea of Espresso.  Ideally I would like to try and work both into my workflow because there are things that I know Espresso can't do and things that I am sure it will be much better at.  Any thoughts on the pros and cons of either one?

Go Green Go!!!

March 25, 2009 4:27 am
frigginjoe

frigginjoe

Big Game Hunter

from Long Island
697 posts

I want/need this one.

http://www.twitter.com/frigginjoe
F everyone.  Scribbles is neat!

March 25, 2009 4:48 am
geauxvols

geauxvols

Big Game Hunter

from East Texas, U.S.A.
589 posts

What is the level of $ raised for charity required to unlock Espresso?

iPhone Reviews, Apps, Tips and Tricks | Follow theiphoneand.us on Twitter

March 25, 2009 4:56 am
UnknownVariable

UnknownVariable

Tinkerer

11 posts

I tried out the 1.0, and the app feels completely unfinished.

There's a PHP sugar built in to Espresso, but the separate PHP sugar you can download is a different version (with more features), so if you install it you end up with two PHP language choices and a third, PHP-HTML.

The auto-complete is horrible to try and work around. I find I inadvertently end up selecting various functions I didn't even want to enter - and when they're auto-inserted into the code, all of the available parameters for that function (and all of their extra brackets and readable syntax) are inserted as well, making for a lot of backspacing or selecting and deleting so it'll get out of your way so you can put your own parameter values.

The live preview is nice, but without a second monitor (or one larger than 1440x900, at least), it's still a pain to have to switch back and forth between windows.

I didn't test or try the uploading, downloading, syncing portion of Espresso, so no comments on that.

As of now I'd say hands down, Coda still takes the cake. I'm really hoping for Espresso to be the next big web development app; I'd love to support it. It needs a lot more work before it's ready, though.

March 25, 2009 5:00 am
JoelAnderson

JoelAnderson

Gearhead

52 posts

I've been looking for a decent app like this for doing web app work.  I've looked at Textmate, Coda, and BBEdit.  But, I hadn't even heard of Espresso until today.  Espresso, being a newer product, doesn't yet have some of the sugars I would like.  (using the term sugar is confusing as it make me think of syntactic sugar which is different then what they mean by being clever about coffee drinks)

But, then again I've got complaints against the other three as well. 

I wasn't expecting an app like this in the bundle so it would be a pleasant edition if unlocked.

ΜακΗειστ

March 25, 2009 5:14 am
jdhoss

jdhoss

Big Game Hunter

from Minnesota
963 posts

I'm looking forward to giving Espresso a shot. Coda would have been cool but Espresso may be able to fill the bill.

Action may not always bring happiness; but there is no happiness without action. - Benjamin Disraeli
BundleSite.com
Twitter
JD's Complete MacHeist Desktop Wallpaper Collection

March 25, 2009 5:42 am

esj

Urchin

2 posts

This is the first time participating in Macheist... what are the chances that this will NOT get unlocked?

March 25, 2009 5:42 am
guitardaddy76

guitardaddy76

Automaton Tech

from Sweden
219 posts

Can't wait!

"A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is tying it's shoes."  -  Mark Twain

March 25, 2009 5:52 am
t5tr

t5tr

Automaton Tech

270 posts

LoL Espresso! I've beta tested Espresso, it was on my list to buy asap! smile

.:;-= 60 6r33n !
"But you've heard of MH3."

March 25, 2009 6:00 am
gnome06

gnome06

Tinkerer

from FRANCE
13 posts

I'm using every day Coda with CSSEdit, switching to expresso could be an oportunity for me. I really would like to have. Could be perphaps more productive for me to have softwares coming from the same editor.

(I have bought the bundle this morning)

--
Gnome06

March 25, 2009 7:23 am
macbruski

macbruski

Automaton Tech

from Ireland
180 posts

I know this app is designed for web development but I would like to see support for other languages that use markup. I use Stata and write my do files in Smultron (which supports Stata markup) but would love to try Espresso.

▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

March 25, 2009 8:02 am
macbruski

macbruski

Automaton Tech

from Ireland
180 posts

johnred wrote:

Post your thoughts about Espresso here.

(If you have any Espresso support related issues, please post them here.)

John, I think that the link for Espresso support is messed up. It sends me to the Eventbox support page.

▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

March 25, 2009 8:04 am
stjg

stjg

Big Game Hunter

from Here
578 posts

I do not design web sites, but looking at this cool software incites me to try it.

Do something healthy.
Stop eating too many Oranges!

March 25, 2009 8:58 am
sgibson

sgibson

Tinkerer

11 posts

I played with Espresso from the first beta and there are some things it does very well and some not so well. I use Coda as my day to day editor.

I prefer Espresso's handling of local/remote sites as it maintains a sync whereas Coda just lets you publish. Makes it a lot easier to maintain integrity if you work across a couple of machines (yeah, I know, I should be using SVN). It also has code folding which is one thing I *really* wish Coda had.

On the other hand, Coda does have much better text handling/auto-completion.

As a caveat, I will say I haven't tried the 1.0 of Espresso yet but am very happy it is part of the bundle. I can't imagine it not getting unlocked, but so far I've been happy to get Little Snapper and World of Goo smile

March 25, 2009 10:35 am
AdrianRodriguez

AdrianRodriguez

Automaton Tech

from Arkansas
133 posts

frigginjoe wrote:

I want/need this one.

I am with you there buddy. I wanted Coda for a long time and it was too expensive for me to  purchase, especially when I am laid off at the moment. When I saw Espresso and tried it in the beta, I was disappointed like others for lack of support with certain languages, but didn't know about the plug-ins.

When I first saw Espresso, I thought this is definitely a product that can compete with Panic's Coda, but how much will it be. After seeing the price I was once again disappointed and thought well if I saved for this, I might as well save for Coda.

When the bundle revealed it, I thought this is my chance to get something awesome, worthy, fast, effective, and definitely needed. Thanks for adding this to the bundle, I hope we can get it unlocked. Otherwise I will have a third disappointment, lol.

{ Recently Update My Portfolio: Check it out }

March 25, 2009 11:28 am
GoldenChaos

GoldenChaos

Gearhead

from Hydrocity Act 2
97 posts

This app is the reason I bought the bundle. I've been using the beta for a month or so now, and I just can't live without it. I knew you guys were going to include it in some form in this bundle, since you guys has CSSEdit last year and the timing of Espresso's release was just too perfect to be a coincidence.

Just unlock it already wink

Founder of GoodSemester and ultra-webmaster of Zelda Universe and Zelda Wiki. I also have a blog that sometimes has ice cream.

March 25, 2009 12:24 pm

Werner85

Urchin

6 posts

Anyone can tell us when Espresso will be unlocked?
Like if i buy the bundle now: Will i get Espresso when it unlocks? Because there is a frame around "The Hit List" and "Espresso". What does that frame mean?

March 25, 2009 12:26 pm
jaqen

jaqen

Gearhead

61 posts

I was testing Espresso yesterday at work side-by-side with Coda and sadly I prefer Coda.

For the person who was asking about comparison with BBEdit, I'd say that Espresso and Coda are more like a very stripped down Dreamweaver, rather than BBEdit, except that neither uses a live WYSIWYG editable preview like Dreamweaver. Really, the main difference with BBEdit is the extra support for dealing with CSS.

I used Dreamweaver and BBEdit together: some things are much easier to do in DW, some much easier in BBEdit, but the CSS support for DW is still not 100%.

After trying Espresso and Coda, I prefer the extra features in Coda that are still missing in Espresso, built-in Ruby and SVN support, for two.

Espresso is newborn, so there's lots of room for adding features in the future. But for right now, it doesn't do enough for my needs.

I wish I could be more excited about getting Espresso, but I'd have been more likely to buy the bundle if it had been Coda instead.

March 25, 2009 12:27 pm
AdrianRodriguez

AdrianRodriguez

Automaton Tech

from Arkansas
133 posts

Werner85 wrote:

Anyone can tell us when Espresso will be unlocked?
Like if i buy the bundle now: Will i get Espresso when it unlocks? Because there is a frame around "The Hit List" and "Espresso". What does that frame mean?

First of all, if it get's unlocked (which I am hoping for) then yes everyone who purchased the bundle will receive a license. The frame I think means that both will be unlocked at the same time, as opposed to BoinxTV and Wiretap which I think are unlocked at two different times. I am hoping the gap between all of them isn't too big. So far $50k for Charity in two days is awesome, but I don't know how consistent that will be. Technically, it's been less than a full 24 hours, but who knows.

{ Recently Update My Portfolio: Check it out }

March 25, 2009 12:42 pm
apoltix

apoltix

Urchin

from Copenhagen, Denmark
9 posts

Did someone catch the amount of money raised required for it to be unlocked? As many others, Espresso is the main reason I bought the bundle - that being said, it certainly looks like some of the other apps are very decent as well, and for a bargaining price of $39 ($33 in my case), who can complain?

macmacmac

March 25, 2009 1:27 pm
rik

rik

Tinkerer

from The Netherlands
26 posts

Wow, I hope a good PHP Sugar will be developed for Espresso soon. I just tested it for HTML and CSS, it's just a fantastic application. The only thing I don't like about it is the PHP Sugar. The code-completion is just "stupid", it has no idea when the user wants to insert language constructs/php native functions. If the sugar works like the CSS code-completion, I will buy this even if it isn't unlocked in this bundle.

March 25, 2009 1:40 pm
tism21

tism21

Gearhead

50 posts

i was hoping that this would be in the bundle, because of cssedit last year being soooo good, and you didnt disappoint!

Orangina

March 25, 2009 1:47 pm
Stan2.0

Stan2.0

Automaton Tech

from Germany
117 posts

I too did buy the bundle because of Espresso. I'm absolutely sure it will be unlocked though, after all it says "12 Top Mac Apps for the insanely low price of $39" on the top of the page. So MacHeist promised it to the people buying the bundle. There's no reason why it won't be unlocked. It's just locked to make people buy the thing I guess.

Follow me on Twitter

March 25, 2009 1:49 pm
AdrianRodriguez

AdrianRodriguez

Automaton Tech

from Arkansas
133 posts

Stan2.0 wrote:

I too did buy the bundle because of Espresso. I'm absolutely sure it will be unlocked though, after all it says "12 Top Mac Apps for the insanely low price of $39" on the top of the page. So MacHeist promised it to the people buying the bundle. There's no reason why it won't be unlocked. It's just locked to make people buy the thing I guess.

Let's hope your right. I did a small calculation for the unlocked software, in hopes that it should take about 2 more hours, to unlock....depending:

http://www.macheist.com/forums/viewtopi … 17#p286317

ROFL

{ Recently Update My Portfolio: Check it out }

March 25, 2009 1:53 pm

Werner85

Urchin

6 posts

Stan2.0 wrote:

It's just locked to make people buy the thing I guess.

Could be an option, but i'd like to know for sure... Whould be a shame if Espresso isn't going to be unlocked at the end.

Because that whould be like 75% reason to buy the bundle this year. Like CSSEdit was last year.

As for Espresso itself: I whould like to see the full CSSEdit funtionality in Espresso. I so like the right sidebar from CSSEdit. If you forgot about something: just find it in the sidebar and everything is ok. That's one of the things i am missing now...

March 25, 2009 2:00 pm
cannedchaos

cannedchaos

Gearhead

from Leeds, UK
58 posts

I'm pretty sure it will go through - Stan2.0 has it right. I'm looking forward to it myself - probably the main reason to buy the bundle for a non-podcaster.

March 25, 2009 2:22 pm

jet_star

Urchin

1 posts

Seems like a good app, been using Coda and that is a good app for web coding as well. Might download the demo and see if its up to par with Coda.

I think the requirements will be pretty high to unlock it though.

March 25, 2009 3:11 pm

freerobby

Urchin

from Massachusetts
8 posts

Coda must be a little nervous about so many people getting to license their new competitor's product for practically nothing.

March 25, 2009 3:49 pm
nbmatt

nbmatt

Tinkerer

from Orlando, FL
33 posts

freerobby wrote:

Coda must be a little nervous about so many people getting to license their new competitor's product for practically nothing.

Panic is vocally against MacHeist, aren't they? It's a shame, too, because most of the participants (including myself, although I already have a license for Coda) would just eat it up.

you are now manually breathing.

March 25, 2009 4:16 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ Espresso

Become an agent



Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)


As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

 

Login to MacHeist



As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?