Forums

★ BoinxTV

MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ BoinxTV
johnred

johnred

Directorate

1,869 posts

Post your thoughts about BoinxTV here.

(If you have any BoinxTV support related issues, please post them here.)

John Casasanta
MacHeist Director
tap tap tap chief

March 25, 2009 2:09 am
ajvestal

ajvestal

Urchin

from Columbia, MO
8 posts

I've got to say, I'm fairly excited about this app. It seems useful for prosumer-level productions, without being too feature-limited. This and Espresso are the unlock apps I'm really crossing my fingers for...

~Allan James Vestal
  Student
  Missouri School of Journalism

March 25, 2009 2:20 am
tboytim98

tboytim98

Gearhead

from Valencia, CA
85 posts

Looks like a great program, don't know how much i'll use it though...

▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜
Finally got my bundle!  Took me long enough.

March 25, 2009 2:34 am
kudioske

kudioske

Big Game Hunter

from Buffalo, MN
959 posts

Really hoping that the app gets unlocked. I could make good use of it.

Crossing fingers...

Haste makes heist

March 25, 2009 2:35 am

Flikkeshaug

Tinkerer

from Norway
11 posts

Hope it gets unlocked. An app i really could make good use of.

March 25, 2009 2:37 am
simonandmartina

simonandmartina

Automaton Tech

from South Korea
429 posts

See, I was looking forward to this program, but I don't like the idea of having 5 second credits.  I make a lot of movies for YouTube; I don't want to piss off my viewers with ads.

Yeah.

Our ORANGE photo and movie blog in Bucheon, Korea: http://www.eatyourkimchi.com

March 25, 2009 3:00 am
Seshan

Seshan

Automaton Tech

195 posts

Did you guys noticed how it said sponsored edition? Read the info on the page for it.
"With this Sponsored Edition, you only need to add a credit somewhere in each show stating that it was created with BoinxTV"

Pretty much trial software does this. Kinda sucks, but it's hard to complain for the price.

Wooooo!

March 25, 2009 3:37 am
philoxoxy

philoxoxy

Automaton Tech

from Montreal
255 posts

People aren't afraid of placing other credits on there videos. It is on the honour system. Having a watermark for 5 seconds on the bottom corner of your screen isn't a big deal is it?

And if it is and you are doing more than youtube and going pro perhaps you can afford to shell out a few dollars.

CleanMyMac and BarTender were the reasons I bought the bundle Please use my referral code: http://macheist.com/bundle/t/639742

Dropbox Referral: Get 2GB of Storage + 500MB Bonus by clicking on the link below:
http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTExNTMzMDI0OQ

March 25, 2009 3:49 am
aaroncp

aaroncp

Automaton Tech

279 posts

What if my credits at the end of my movie scroll slow enough for the "Made by BoinxTV" on the screen for five seconds -- does that meet the requirement?

MacHeist: THANK YOU FOR USING MY LINK!
DropBox: https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTcxNjA5

Thank you for using my referral links!

March 25, 2009 4:03 am
Seshan

Seshan

Automaton Tech

195 posts

aaroncp wrote:

What if my credits at the end of my movie scroll slow enough for the "Made by BoinxTV" on the screen for five seconds -- does that meet the requirement?

I would hope so, I'm not even sure how they would be able to tell.

Wooooo!

March 25, 2009 4:14 am
freedom1378

freedom1378

Urchin

9 posts

philoxoxy wrote:

And if it is and you are doing more than youtube and going pro perhaps you can afford to shell out a few dollars.

Yeah... that few dollars is a few hundred more dollars to get the non sponsored BoinxTV...

March 25, 2009 4:31 am
callmemike20

callmemike20

Tinkerer

from Chicago
19 posts

As long as it doesn't put it in there automatically and is on the honor system, its all good.

America Rules!
USE ME when you buy your bundle: http://www.macheist.com/bundle/u/96691/

March 25, 2009 4:34 am
smiley2bil

smiley2bil

Urchin

from Bowling Green, KY
2 posts

What cameras were used to make the announce video? They used this software, right?

March 25, 2009 4:35 am
Rychy

Rychy

Automaton Tech

from Washington
301 posts

Yeah I hope it's on the honor system. Any video I make I usually put what program I use in the credits anyways. I'd hate to watermark a video... well to be honest I just wouldn't use it if it did.

Setup: Mac Pro 2.8 Octo, 6GB RAM, 8800GT  l  iPhone 3GS
Currently Watching: Lie To Me, 30 Rock
Currently Playing: Mass Effect 2
Awaiting: Final Fantasy XIII, Kingdom Hearts III

March 25, 2009 4:56 am

kabelogo

Urchin

9 posts

I really hope this makes the cut. The sponsored edition is no big deal when you see what this program can do easy. much easier then Shake or After Effects at what it does. This has to be the best app in the deal.

March 25, 2009 5:24 am
rjc3002

rjc3002

Tinkerer

from New York
16 posts

This is amazing software for $199 (sponsored) or +200 full version.  Anyone who complains about a 5 second credit does not understand what this software can do.  This is not iPhone freeware.  All of the other software on the bundle is nice stuff but this is a step up.  Nice job MacHeist... now let's get it unlocked.

"Broken gets fixed, shoddy lasts forever."   -The internet

March 25, 2009 5:52 am
mollita

mollita

Gearhead

from San Francisco Bay Area
86 posts

I second what rjc3002 says.  And I think you can even customize that credit.  I really hope this one gets unlocked...

Thank you MacHeist for the big-bundle-happiness

March 25, 2009 8:19 am
stjg

stjg

Big Game Hunter

from Here
567 posts

BoinxTV looks really cool, now I just need an appropriate camera (any recommendations?) and the time.
And maybe a studio... and some ideas...
By the way,does this also works as editor for screencasts?

Do something healthy.
Stop eating too many Oranges!

March 25, 2009 8:33 am
moviegod

moviegod

Automaton Tech

from Germany
188 posts

On the Boinx site it says:
"The BoinxTV Sponsored Edition requires a 5 second credit for BoinxTV in every video created with BoinxTV. To make it easy for you, the BoinxTV Sponsored Edition comes with a dazzling "Made with BoinxTV" credit movie you can add to your recording. You are free to create your own credit of course."

This should mean that you can simply put the name in the credits at the end, as long as it's visible for 5 seconds.
That would be ok with me. A watermark in the video would not.

EDIT:
Well, actually on the same site it's explained:

"The BoinxTV Sponsored Edition has the same functionality as the standard version of BoinxTV. What happens, you may ask, if you "forget" to mention BoinxTV in your record as required?

To be honest, presumably nothing will happen. No thunderbolts will strike you down for such despicable behaviour (disclaimer: Boinx is not, however, responsible for any lightning which may occur). There are no technical restrictions, but expect to collect some bad karma points at least!"

So this should be ok. Like Rychy, I like to put in the name(s) of the software I use into the video anyway, so this should do nicely.

DropBox Referral: 2.25GB free backup space

March 25, 2009 8:39 am
MacAndy

MacAndy

Automaton Tech

from Bavaria
116 posts

I'll put a 10 second credit in the vidoe if I can use it... but I does, I own a white MacBook... ;-(

Andreas
Get DropBox - 2 GB + 250 MB for free

March 25, 2009 11:24 am
AdrianRodriguez

AdrianRodriguez

Automaton Tech

from Arkansas
133 posts

simonandmartina wrote:

See, I was looking forward to this program, but I don't like the idea of having 5 second credits.  I make a lot of movies for YouTube; I don't want to piss off my viewers with ads.

Yeah.

Just think about this: Made by BoinxTV? Or something like that, for five seconds, isn't bad at all.

Just have it at the end of your movie. They don't have to watch it. Not many people watch credits anyway.

{ Recently Update My Portfolio: Check it out }

March 25, 2009 11:46 am
freakyp

freakyp

Urchin

from Atlanta, GA
2 posts

I'm super excited about this app! Whats the deets on whether or not it will be unlocked??

--
doobie doobie doo
beware the penguin

March 25, 2009 12:59 pm
billlollar

billlollar

Urchin

from Wales
1 posts

I was really excited about this app, until I read that it did not support Intel GMA Graphics. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, but I do have a dual-core 2 GHz mini (relatively late model). Bummer!

March 25, 2009 2:09 pm
Rychy

Rychy

Automaton Tech

from Washington
301 posts

moviegod wrote:

On the Boinx site it says:
"The BoinxTV Sponsored Edition requires a 5 second credit for BoinxTV in every video created with BoinxTV. To make it easy for you, the BoinxTV Sponsored Edition comes with a dazzling "Made with BoinxTV" credit movie you can add to your recording. You are free to create your own credit of course."

This should mean that you can simply put the name in the credits at the end, as long as it's visible for 5 seconds.
That would be ok with me. A watermark in the video would not.

EDIT:
Well, actually on the same site it's explained:

"The BoinxTV Sponsored Edition has the same functionality as the standard version of BoinxTV. What happens, you may ask, if you "forget" to mention BoinxTV in your record as required?

To be honest, presumably nothing will happen. No thunderbolts will strike you down for such despicable behaviour (disclaimer: Boinx is not, however, responsible for any lightning which may occur). There are no technical restrictions, but expect to collect some bad karma points at least!"

So this should be ok. Like Rychy, I like to put in the name(s) of the software I use into the video anyway, so this should do nicely.

Awesome. smile

Setup: Mac Pro 2.8 Octo, 6GB RAM, 8800GT  l  iPhone 3GS
Currently Watching: Lie To Me, 30 Rock
Currently Playing: Mass Effect 2
Awaiting: Final Fantasy XIII, Kingdom Hearts III

March 25, 2009 2:55 pm
bdegrande

bdegrande

Sky Pirate

from Hoboken, NJ
1,241 posts

From everything I hear, it's great software. I have no problem giving them a 5 second credit.  I can't wait for Don McAllister's screencast on this one, I'm a novice at video.

If you are a Dexter fan, check out The Dexter Cast podcast - iTunes  or www.thedextercast.com
Dropbox referral - We each get an extra 500MB

March 25, 2009 2:56 pm
kavka

kavka

Urchin

9 posts

I'll give them a 10-second credit to make up for anyone who doesn't credit the software smile

March 25, 2009 3:51 pm
imfrog2002

imfrog2002

Automaton Tech

from Mesa, AZ
203 posts

I can't wait to use it. Also, if you don't want to put the ad in there, just get the regular version. Like they said on Boinx, it's not a demo version. They're just lowering the up-front cost to you by purchasing advertising time. Look at it this way, you got INSTANTLY paid $300 for 5-second ads, even if you only make 1 movie with it! I'm MORE than willing to put in an ad for them, at that kind of money!

MacHeist 4
Bring it on.

March 25, 2009 4:20 pm
Tenex

Tenex

Automaton Tech

from London
177 posts

We're Mac users, don't we want to promote Mac software so that our developers succeed and create even more great software for us to use?

How could 5 secs be too much to help achieve that goal?

I always leave in the "Made on an Mac" on slideshows or video because the viewers are usually people who are blown away by the functionality of my Mac apps.  They are after all the poor relations who have to live in a Windows world.

March 25, 2009 5:00 pm
mike007

mike007

Automaton Tech

from Indiana
370 posts

So i wont be able to use this program on my Macbook???

March 25, 2009 5:17 pm

craigeves

Urchin

from Portsmouth, UK
9 posts

this looks great!

March 25, 2009 5:20 pm
NW5586

NW5586

Urchin

from Planet Earth, in the Milky Way
4 posts

I think this app has the potential to really change the event/corporate video type workflow. Being able to have a "live switch" without purchasing the hardware ($5,000-10,000) is amazing.

Go BoinxTV!

1. MacPro 2.8GHz Octo core... FAST...

March 25, 2009 5:28 pm
raizamn

raizamn

Tinkerer

from The end of the road
36 posts

mike007 wrote:

http://boinx.com/boinxtv/specs/

If you have an older MacBook with built-in Intel GMA 950 chipset, like me, then sadly no.

And I was just thinking of starting a videocast...

to be or not to be, somebody said that, somewhere

March 25, 2009 5:41 pm
deej

deej

Automaton Tech

450 posts

mike007 wrote:

Not if it has the Intel GMA. Which is a real shame because I was looking forward to using it.

Although... I am still going to give it a shot and see if it'll work. Who knows, it might just be slow. After all, if we buy the bundle (which I will do when I get paid), and it doesn't work we can't complain because of the other cool stuff we're getting. If it does work but is awfully slow, then we can't complain because it works.

Either way, I see no reason why we can complain. Boinx is powerful software from what I've seen, it'll need a decent machine to run it the way the designers want it to.

Get Dropbox! 2.25GB free storage

March 25, 2009 5:43 pm
mike007

mike007

Automaton Tech

from Indiana
370 posts

raizamn wrote:
mike007 wrote:

If you have an older MacBook with built-in Intel GMA 950 chipset, like me, then sadly no.

I will try it out anyways wink

March 25, 2009 5:53 pm
deej

deej

Automaton Tech

450 posts

raizamn wrote:
mike007 wrote:

I wonder if that will also include the GMA X3100?

March 25, 2009 6:31 pm
mike007

mike007

Automaton Tech

from Indiana
370 posts

Hey, good news!!! I just tryed out the demo on my MacBook with GMA graphics and it WORKS!!  Pretty smoothly also.  I bet aslong as you are not doing many camera ins and keep things minimal on your recording it will work fine.  Woo. Works perfect with just my iSight camera, transitions, live headers and footers, and quicktime clips.

March 25, 2009 6:36 pm
bdegrande

bdegrande

Sky Pirate

from Hoboken, NJ
1,241 posts

The current Macbooks will run it, even the low end white one has an nVidia chip set.

If you are a Dexter fan, check out The Dexter Cast podcast - iTunes  or www.thedextercast.com

March 25, 2009 6:37 pm
oliverbreidenbach

oliverbreidenbach

Developer

from Munich, Germany
54 posts

Hi there, I am the CEO of Boinx Software and I am going to try to clarify all the questions you have.

1) We think that BoinxTV is worth way more than $499 to people who make their money with this stuff. In fact, the time you save on your first production is probably worth more already than the $499. On the other hand, there are people who are not doing this commercially (yet) and we wanted to find an way to let them have it for less, so that they could afford the tool that would eventually take them to higher levels. When they start making money, they can buy an upgrade to remove the requirement of the ad. All of you will have the full Sponsored Edition (if it is unlocked), so you, too will be able to upgrade to the full $499 version.

2) The system requirements are a little unsharp. You can have fun on a MacBook with Intel GMA but you will not get a very good result. But we know of people using it for podcasts on a MacBook with Intel GMA. Unfortunately, the new NVIDIA cards are at the moment not really much better as the drivers have a bug causing performance issues. We hope that Apple and/or NVIDIA will fix these issues in the future and we've heard about efforts to do so.

Feel free to post more questions, I will try to keep up with this thread as good as I can.

Cheers on behalf of the Boinx Software Team and TheCodingMonkey who collaborate on BoinxTV.

March 25, 2009 7:08 pm
deej

deej

Automaton Tech

450 posts

oliverbreidenbach wrote:

Hi there, I am the CEO of Boinx Software and I am going to try to clarify all the questions you have.

1) We think that BoinxTV is worth way more than $499 to people who make their money with this stuff. In fact, the time you save on your first production is probably worth more already than the $499. On the other hand, there are people who are not doing this commercially (yet) and we wanted to find an way to let them have it for less, so that they could afford the tool that would eventually take them to higher levels. When they start making money, they can buy an upgrade to remove the requirement of the ad. All of you will have the full Sponsored Edition (if it is unlocked), so you, too will be able to upgrade to the full $499 version.

2) The system requirements are a little unsharp. You can have fun on a MacBook with Intel GMA but you will not get a very good result. But we know of people using it for podcasts on a MacBook with Intel GMA. Unfortunately, the new NVIDIA cards are at the moment not really much better as the drivers have a bug causing performance issues. We hope that Apple and/or NVIDIA will fix these issues in the future and we've heard about efforts to do so.

Feel free to post more questions, I will try to keep up with this thread as good as I can.

Cheers on behalf of the Boinx Software Team and TheCodingMonkey who collaborate on BoinxTV.

Firstly, thanks alot of making such a great piece of software available to us.

Secondly, excellent to know that it will work on the GMA graphics.

March 25, 2009 7:44 pm
Tenex

Tenex

Automaton Tech

from London
177 posts

oliverbreidenbach wrote:

Hi Oliver and thanks for including this in the bundle its something I'd like to try out and maybe use occasionally but at the initial price I couldn't justify buying it.  Here's hoping it gets unlocked before the weekend so I can play...

I've just realised that if - no when!!! - this gets unlocked I'll have the full range of Boinx products save for Mouseposé !

Go Boinx!

March 25, 2009 8:56 pm
AdrianRodriguez

AdrianRodriguez

Automaton Tech

from Arkansas
133 posts

Crud, BoinxTv won't work with my mac, I don't have the proper video card, hope they offer support for it later on, consider it a loss. Although I would like to do some editing for my screencasts with it.

{ Recently Update My Portfolio: Check it out }

March 25, 2009 9:02 pm
eschrad

eschrad

Gearhead

from Virginia
73 posts

Software looks impressive... I'm amazed to find something like it in the MacHeist bundle for what we are paying... but my initial reaction is that it doesn't seem particularly useful for the majority of potential bundle purchasers.  I can't really think of anything I would use it for personally, and I am stretching to think of how to use it for work... and I am in communications!!

I dunno... I am going to look into it more and perhaps they will be some innovative things we could start doing at work now that I have this new tool.  It would probably help if we had a video camera though... hmmm.

March 25, 2009 9:09 pm
jfm429

jfm429

Sky Pirate

from Behind You
2,196 posts

Definitely impressive software, this could really benefit our school's TV studio.  We've actually been eyeing it for a couple months.  smile  We've been doing all our live broadcasts using Keynote and a video board that tends to stop working periodically.

NovaStorm Software || @NovaStormSW || @jfm429 || Dropbox + Extra Storage

"I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not have C++ in mind."
- Alan Kay, inventor of Object-Oriented programming

March 25, 2009 9:47 pm

isaacwaller

Urchin

3 posts

I have no problem giving them 5 seconds of my video at all! Just think, you are paying 3.25$ for it (12 programs / $39 dollars you pay). And it is usually $199. That's pretty good.

Isaac Waller

March 25, 2009 9:53 pm
gungadin

gungadin

Automaton Tech

from Around the Puget Sound
158 posts

MacAndy wrote:

I'll put a 10 second credit in the vidoe if I can use it... but I does, I own a white MacBook... ;-(

I just found out about the Macbook issue. I am so disappointed. I bought my Macbook 14 months ago! And it is already out of date. I hate that crap! There has got to be a way to update the graphics card even if it is built in. I can solder...Hmmm

"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning." Douglas Adams

March 25, 2009 10:56 pm
feedpuppy

feedpuppy

Big Game Hunter

from H town
710 posts

gungadin wrote:
MacAndy wrote:

I just found out about the Macbook issue. I am so disappointed. I bought my Macbook 14 months ago! And it is already out of date. I hate that crap! There has got to be a way to update the graphics card even if it is built in. I can solder...Hmmm

Maybe easier or even cheaper to just buy a new iMac wink, especially if the rumor about $899 17' iMac turns out to be true. After all, Macbook is not for serious video work in the first place...

How do you say goodbye?

March 25, 2009 11:05 pm
mike007

mike007

Automaton Tech

from Indiana
370 posts

gungadin wrote:
MacAndy wrote:

It worked just fine on my Macbook.

March 25, 2009 11:06 pm
bdegrande

bdegrande

Sky Pirate

from Hoboken, NJ
1,241 posts

gungadin wrote:
MacAndy wrote:

Check the developer's post above. There are people using BoinxTV on older Macbooks, even though they have the older Intel chios.

March 25, 2009 11:13 pm
gungadin

gungadin

Automaton Tech

from Around the Puget Sound
158 posts

Thanks you guys. I am so slow at posting. My Q was answered. Good. I just wanted to be able to learn how to use it. I probably will be getting a iMac maybe next fall (if the dollar doesn't collapse in the meantime) Anyhow, I should not have whined before looking into it.

Thank-you Mr OliverBreidenbach Nice of you to pop in!

"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning." Douglas Adams

March 25, 2009 11:28 pm
shmerek

shmerek

Tinkerer

from over here
20 posts

I can't even get it to launch am I missing something? my machine is easily meets the requirements too

bring on the bundle already

March 25, 2009 11:49 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ BoinxTV

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?