Forums

★ Espresso

MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ Espresso
darkscot

darkscot

Gearhead

from Ottawa, Canada
76 posts

Panic needs to eat some humble pie. Their support has been lacking of late. I welcome some good competition in this realm.

There you go, lad, keep as cool as you can smile

March 25, 2009 4:49 pm

BobH

Urchin

1 posts

I just bought the bundle minutes ago when I was told Espresso was in it.

Up until now I was using Coda, mostly for html + css, but for me personally its code completion is terrible. Especially compared to Textmate or bbedit. So why did I use it then? Because of the way it handles remote files using 'sites'. The Espresso beta lacked some functionality and usability on this front. In 1.0 it still isn't as good as Coda's but it's good enough and in combo with the code editor, it beats Coda.

Seeing how Espresso just came out of beta, I think things will only improve for the better.

tweet tweet

March 25, 2009 5:03 pm

craigeves

Urchin

from Portsmouth, UK
9 posts

really want this - but need to get the issues with my purchase sorted first! ive been charged but not had any software!

March 25, 2009 5:22 pm
kbublitz

kbublitz

Urchin

6 posts

waaaah.. i want it. I just waited for the 100k raise, literally staring at the sales counter, but after it reached 100k only wiretap got unlocked. bummer!! The info about the unlocks is, well, not so detailed.

March 25, 2009 5:35 pm

garthdb

Urchin

1 posts

This is my first bundle.  From past bundles what is the likelihood of it getting unlocked?

March 25, 2009 5:42 pm
Guard

Guard

Tinkerer

from Kentucky
26 posts

Does anyone know if Espresso can handle XHTML validation? From looking around, I'm not seeing anything towards a yes.

March 25, 2009 5:49 pm
iaian7

iaian7

Urchin

from Michigan, US
9 posts

Seeing as the goal for Boinx is $400,000 (3x the first unlock, added to the already-met goal of $100,000) I can only imagine the goal for Espresso/HitList will be significantly higher as well. Wasn't last year's MacHeist top-tier goal pretty high?

Past bundles have been pretty reliable, though it always takes a while to get the last app unlocked (maybe even with mere days left before the deadline, I can't really remember).  I'd imagine that MacHeist is very aware of the current economic times, and given data from previous years they should have a good idea of sales patterns, and be able to adjust goals accordingly.  Unlocking Espresso will only boost bundle sales, which is the entire idea here!

I got a previous MacHeist bundle primarily for CSSedit... which has served me very, very well. Like everyone else here, I'm really hoping to get Espresso, especially as I need an integrated JS/CSS/FTP solution! big_smile  As for XHTML validation, that's a good question. I'm playing with the demo today, and even CSS auto complete isn't working (as it does in CSSedit).  It appears to be very much a first version release, and I'm counting on it making major strides forward.  Better code support, SVN, etc. Maybe that's too much of a gamble, but based on the brilliant CSSedit, I trust Espresso 1.x/2.0 will be superb.  Unfortunately, I doubt I can pay for a bundle while the possibility of Espresso being added, while theoretically "going to happen," isn't entirely certain.

Awesome MacHeist this year, thanks to everyone involved!

March 25, 2009 6:11 pm
iaian7

iaian7

Urchin

from Michigan, US
9 posts

Just saw this, in regards to unlocking WireTap...

t4tav wrote:

Wooooo. That was quick ... In how many hours ?

johnred wrote:

Really quick... less than 16 hours. We were hoping to have it unlock after 3 days or so but we're really blown away at how insanely well the bundle's going this year.

Very encouraging for those of us anxiously waiting for Espresso!

Awesome MacHeist this year, thanks to everyone involved!

March 25, 2009 6:16 pm
awesomerobot

awesomerobot

Tinkerer

36 posts

geauxvols wrote:

What is the level of $ raised for charity required to unlock Espresso?

Judging by the current unlocked items it'll be something like 750k - which is a bit steep considering that the initial offerings area bit weaker this time around IMHO.

Purchase via my referral - I still need 1 as of 4/5
http://www.macheist.com/bundle/u/180503/

March 25, 2009 6:36 pm
cannedchaos

cannedchaos

Gearhead

from Leeds, UK
58 posts

I wonder whether the directorate has adjusted the unlock targets upwards to account for massive sales...

Also, it would be interesting to know how the sales tend to tail off after the first day - I'm not really sure how steady a stream of purchases to expect. After all, I would have thought that most people who participated in the Heist who are interested would buy their bundles within the first day or two.

March 25, 2009 6:39 pm
AdrianRodriguez

AdrianRodriguez

Automaton Tech

from Arkansas
133 posts

cannedchaos wrote:

I wonder whether the directorate has adjusted the unlock targets upwards to account for massive sales...

Also, it would be interesting to know how the sales tend to tail off after the first day - I'm not really sure how steady a stream of purchases to expect. After all, I would have thought that most people who participated in the Heist who are interested would buy their bundles within the first day or two.

I pretty much agree. I want Espresso there is no doubt, but the sales are dropping and slowing down, I don't know what it is, but 13 days feels like not enough time for me. I am hoping this get's unlocked soon. sad

{ Recently Update My Portfolio: Check it out }

March 25, 2009 6:50 pm
rik

rik

Tinkerer

from The Netherlands
26 posts

UnknownVariable wrote:

and when they're auto-inserted into the code, all of the available parameters for that function (and all of their extra brackets and readable syntax) are inserted as well

This is fixed in the newest version of the sugar in SVN, let's hope the autocompletion will soon be good!

March 25, 2009 6:53 pm
gemmes

gemmes

Big Game Hunter

665 posts

I know CSSEdit was in the bundle last year but anyone else really surprised Espresso is announced in the bundle 1 day after it was officially released? Its had a few reviews from some well-known RSS feeds and there must have been a few buyers who intended to buy in blind faith ater using CSSEdit.

Not complaining, just baffled.

FREE Dropbox Storage Use link for EXTRA space for you and me. big_smile
15.4" 2.5GHz 4GB MacBook Pro, 32GB iPhone 3GS

March 25, 2009 6:56 pm
mollita

mollita

Gearhead

from San Francisco Bay Area
86 posts

I use BBEdit (and have since 4.0) so I'm v. curious about Espresso.  I noticed on their forums that these sugars are currently available/in development:

- HTML, CSS included in the program by default
And these in development by users
- PHP
- Python
- SQL
- ASP.NET
- Ruby
- Markdown

I'm really interested in Ruby. http://wiki.macrabbit.com/forums/viewthread/34/

If the program gains traction, more talented people will jump in to develop sugars.  I'm psyched about the attention it will get from MacHeist.

Thank you MacHeist for the big-bundle-happiness

March 25, 2009 7:18 pm
atommccree

atommccree

Gearhead

57 posts

What features are in espresso that were in CSSedit and do you still need CSSedit or can you just use the espresso app alone????

March 25, 2009 8:04 pm
atommccree

atommccree

Gearhead

57 posts

cannedchaos wrote:

Seems like they are waiting and then adjusting or it would say. that way they can make more money smile

March 25, 2009 8:05 pm
jhflau11

jhflau11

Urchin

5 posts

I would love to get Espresso. I told a friend that I bet it would be in the bundle since it was released one day before. What's the likelihood of this being unlocked? It seems like it's going to be a high amount. This is my first heist. So, I have don't how the past heists went.

Referrals: - (2/2)

March 25, 2009 8:18 pm
visor

visor

Gearhead

from the other side of your monitor
63 posts

jhflau11 wrote:

I would love to get Espresso. I told a friend that I bet it would be in the bundle since it was released one day before. What's the likelihood of this being unlocked?

Based upon previous heists, you've got a pretty good chance of all apps being unlocked. smile I would very much doubt that this wouldn't be the case.

Macheist team: Green Monkeys

March 25, 2009 8:30 pm
boozker

boozker

Tinkerer

from Washington
26 posts

Just go to http://www.macrabbit.com/support/ and put in your email and they will send you the code.

Really, you think they haven't generated your serials yet haha? The instant you push submit on the payment process every developer generates a serial. You can get all the "locked" apps by retrieving as lost.

go Orange!

March 25, 2009 8:49 pm
feedpuppy

feedpuppy

Big Game Hunter

from H town
710 posts

boozker wrote:

Just go to http://www.macrabbit.com/support/ and put in your email and they will send you the code.

Really, you think they haven't generated your serials yet haha? The instant you push submit on the payment process every developer generates a serial. You can get all the "locked" apps by retrieving as lost.

Wow. Let's see whether they will "fix" it.

How do you say goodbye?

March 25, 2009 8:57 pm
boozker

boozker

Tinkerer

from Washington
26 posts

Maybe next year, not this time or any other time or bundle since serials are generated the instant you buy it and also, in America anyways, they have to legally give you those apps anyways. They are advertising these apps as "12 apps for $39", so they have to either refund you the money or it would be against the law under "False Advertising". If you don't believe ask smile

go Orange!

March 25, 2009 9:04 pm
feedpuppy

feedpuppy

Big Game Hunter

from H town
710 posts

boozker wrote:

Maybe next year, not this time or any other time or bundle since serials are generated the instant you buy it and also, in America anyways, they have to legally give you those apps anyways. They are advertising these apps as "12 apps for $39", so they have to either refund you the money or it would be against the law under "False Advertising". If you don't believe ask smile

Haha. Actually I'm not really worried that the apps won't be unlocked, it will piss many people off.

Do you find similar thing for The Hit List?

How do you say goodbye?

March 25, 2009 9:07 pm

cougar52

Urchin

3 posts

When the beta for espresso came out, I thought it was going to be free! Then I found out otherwise. I would love an app like this and don't really want to pay the money for it or Coda. Hope we raise enough money to unlock it!

Please use this link so I can get my extra apps. Thank you!

http://www.macheist.com/bundle/u/256041/

March 25, 2009 9:21 pm
feedpuppy

feedpuppy

Big Game Hunter

from H town
710 posts

cougar52 wrote:

When the beta for espresso came out, I thought it was going to be free! Then I found out otherwise. I would love an app like this and don't really want to pay the money for it or Coda. Hope we raise enough money to unlock it!

If it's as good as CSSEdit then I think it's well worth the money then.

How do you say goodbye?

March 25, 2009 9:22 pm
mollita

mollita

Gearhead

from San Francisco Bay Area
86 posts

Gelu6713 wrote:
boozker wrote:

Nice work smile

Good one.  Boozker, that oughta make you at least a pickpocket.

Thank you MacHeist for the big-bundle-happiness

March 25, 2009 9:34 pm
darkscot

darkscot

Gearhead

from Ottawa, Canada
76 posts

No kidding, it doesn't stop at MacRabbit, either.

There you go, lad, keep as cool as you can smile

March 25, 2009 10:20 pm
feedpuppy

feedpuppy

Big Game Hunter

from H town
710 posts

Anyone tried this "trick" with THL yet?

How do you say goodbye?

March 25, 2009 10:22 pm

isaacwaller

Urchin

3 posts

Is this a full version, with updates and everything?

Isaac Waller

March 25, 2009 10:24 pm
feedpuppy

feedpuppy

Big Game Hunter

from H town
710 posts

isaacwaller wrote:

Is this a full version, with updates and everything?

When you purchase the bundle, it's just like you purchase a full license directly from the developer's website.

How do you say goodbye?

March 25, 2009 10:26 pm
oddbjarne89

oddbjarne89

Urchin

from Norway, Akershus, Baerum
1 posts

feedpuppy wrote:

Anyone tried this "trick" with THL yet?

I can´t manage to get the key from THL support page. So i will try to send them an e-mail about this, and see if they give it to me.

March 25, 2009 10:54 pm
pipher

pipher

Automaton Tech

from Los Angeles, CA
445 posts

mollita wrote:

Hilarious.

March 25, 2009 11:25 pm
Decimit

Decimit

Tinkerer

from Nashville
32 posts

oddbjarne89 wrote:

I can´t manage to get the key from THL support page. So i will try to send them an e-mail about this, and see if they give it to me.

I think because THL is still in beta and they currently seem to be only taking pre-orders, there really are not any serials for this program yet.

Need a bundle ? Please use my referal link:
http://www.macheist.com/bundle/u/26738/

March 26, 2009 12:16 am
frigginjoe

frigginjoe

Big Game Hunter

from Long Island
697 posts

boozker wrote:

Damn.  Not really ethical due to not knowing what terms are set with the developer and not knowing just how high that last mark is going to be set, but that was pretty slick on your part.

http://www.twitter.com/frigginjoe
F everyone.  Scribbles is neat!

March 26, 2009 12:28 am
Novaoblivion

Novaoblivion

Tinkerer

31 posts

boozker wrote:

I was wondering if they hadnt already generated them consider how the Wiretap serial went up as soon as the $100k mark was crossed. It would also point to them already knowing that all the apps will be unlocked.

March 26, 2009 12:57 am
AdrianRodriguez

AdrianRodriguez

Automaton Tech

from Arkansas
133 posts

mollita wrote:
Gelu6713 wrote:
boozker wrote:

Nice work smile

Nice work!

I think I am going to wait til it unlocks, but if I can't then I am going to try it out!

{ Recently Update My Portfolio: Check it out }

March 26, 2009 1:04 am
echo6ix

echo6ix

Tinkerer

21 posts

This also works for BoinxTV http://www.boinx.com/support/ putting email in the submit box.

March 26, 2009 1:12 am
mzch

mzch

Automaton Tech

from Hyogo, Japan
281 posts

Someone say in other review site, "Espresso? It's not 1.0, still beta 5 quality."
Another say. "Espresso is not a competitor to Coda yet, it needs much more improvements."
I think it's true now, however, as Coda also was at first. I'm sure that Espresso will win
reputation of professionals and become a formidable competitor to Coda.
Unfortunately, I hear that the developer decided they wouldn't introduce full features
of CSSEdit into Espresso. But I expect much of it.

Contact me? Please see http://mch.tel/
Free online storage? Minus 10GB+1GB, Dropbox 2GB+250MB

⠅⠕⠊⠉⠓⠊⠍⠁⠞⠎⠥⠍⠕⠞⠕

March 26, 2009 1:22 am
echo6ix

echo6ix

Tinkerer

21 posts

mzch wrote:

Someone say in other review site, "Espresso? It's not 1.0, still beta 5 quality."
Another say. "Espresso is not a competitor to Coda yet, it needs much more improvements."
I think it's true now, however, as Coda also was at first. I'm sure that Espresso will win
reputation of professionals and become a formidable competitor to Coda.
Unfortunately, I hear that the developer decided they wouldn't introduce full features
of CSSEdit into Espresso. But I expect much of it.

I agree.

Coda seems stronger in areas that Espresso isnt, but I do like how Espresso uses the Snippets and the code Navigator.

Im not too concerned with the CSSEdit being put into Espresso since most Developers would know CSS to manually edit it as they need.

I definitely prefer Coda's split screen mode and Tabs to how Espresso displays it when working on projects specially for editing CSS and HTML at the same time.

March 26, 2009 1:47 am
WebKarnage

WebKarnage

Big Game Hunter

from UK
776 posts

All of us CSSEdit users know what MacRabbit are capable of, so the chances are this will improve significantly inside a year, especially as the extra sugars arrive. I'm delighted with this, and with it's CSSEdit partner, it will be awesome.

This was my main hope for the bundle, but to be fair, I could never have expected Kinemac!!! What a bundle guys and gals, what a bundle.....

The Optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds, the Pessimist fears this is true.

March 26, 2009 7:31 am

twick

Urchin

9 posts

The main reason I got the bundle is for espresso.. I can't wait for its unlock.

FYI : macrabbit.com/support/ method doesn't work ... at least for me.

Edit : Neither does Boinx.

March 26, 2009 10:55 am
techknow

techknow

Tinkerer

from Where dragons roam
41 posts

echo6ix wrote:

This also works for BoinxTV http://www.boinx.com/support/ putting email in the submit box.

Tried that but it didn't work for me. Did you get your license for BoinxTV through it?

-- MacHeist Referal Link (http://www.macheist.com/bundle/u/47848/) only need one more!
-- "Be nice to nerds, you'll probably end up working for one" (Bill Gates)
-- Go team Orange

March 26, 2009 11:01 am
bossanova

bossanova

Gearhead

55 posts

I love the interface. Really useful and clear.

Thank you 8-) !

March 26, 2009 11:02 am
WebKarnage

WebKarnage

Big Game Hunter

from UK
776 posts

Let's not cause too much chaos guys, we'll get the apps, and waiting a bit longer for this sort of awesome deal isn't exactly that hard is it? When did you last get a greater than 95% discount with such a cool bundle?!

I am eager to see Espresso too, but there'll be many a day to work with it, and it will undoubtedly be getting better with time. Play the game fair, and keep the developers wanting to be involved, and well get another awesome MacHeist next year to be excited about.

The Optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds, the Pessimist fears this is true.

March 26, 2009 12:01 pm

twick

Urchin

9 posts

I can wait for it, I am just skeptical that it is actually going to meet the charity goal.  At some point the sales are going to slow down.

March 26, 2009 1:07 pm
zeek1640

zeek1640

Tinkerer

14 posts

Sales might slow down for a while, but they should see a bump with each unlock - people see that the app that they really want is unlocked, so they rush out and buy one.  Also, we don't know the unlock point for Espresso/THL yet.

I'm looking forward to watch Espresso mature.  The MacRabbit certainly makes good software- look at CSSEdit.

Green, ah restful Green.

March 26, 2009 1:48 pm

twick

Urchin

9 posts

Yes, from the looks of CSSEdit I am impressed so I am very much anticipating the full release of Espresso.

March 26, 2009 1:59 pm
losimagic

losimagic

Tinkerer

41 posts

I think the 'trick' probably isn't working for a lot of people as it's not in their bundle yet due to all the bugs - I'm sure it'll all get fixed soon enough, and they we just have to wait for Espresso to be unlocked smile

Buy a bundle! - As soon as I have my referrals I'll be happy to put a referral to whoever used mine here in my sig!
Have: 0 Need: 2
Thanks for any help!

March 26, 2009 2:38 pm
zoecorkhill

zoecorkhill

Tinkerer

from Birmingham, UK
12 posts

You can download espresso 1.0 now in anticipation of getting your license code (putting our email in the support box didn't work for me) - but it's a 15 day fully featured trial so as long as it gets unlocked you'll have the full thing from today - you don't have to wait! Well.. you only have to wait for your code anyway :-)

Just go to the macrabbit website, click Espresso, and download 1.0 :-)

http://me.zoecorkhill.co.uk

March 26, 2009 2:42 pm
PentiumVier

PentiumVier

Tinkerer

30 posts

both Tricks arent working for me. I only get old serials from apps i have bought before. Maybe this trick only works for people not registered before Bundle3.

▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

March 26, 2009 2:42 pm

twick

Urchin

9 posts

I have never registered and it doesn't work either.  It doesn't matter, Ill get the trial version to play around with it for now.  Thanks

March 26, 2009 3:38 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ Espresso

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?