Forums

★ EventBox

MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ EventBox
johnred

johnred

Directorate

1,869 posts

To celebrate the ongoing bundle sale we've partnered with The Cosmic Machine to offer a version of their upcoming social network site managing software, Eventbox for free to everyone who stops by!

http://thecosmicmachine.com/images/eb_appicon.png

You can download this freebie build by clicking here.

NOTE: This build has been updated on 4/2/09 to fix compatibility issues with Twitter.

(If you have any EventBox support related issues, please post them here.)

Please note that this free copy of EventBox is unlocked only for the current build/version.

John Casasanta
MacHeist Director
tap tap tap chief

March 25, 2009 12:24 am
KGameLover1

KGameLover1

Automaton Tech

from East USA
198 posts

It's OK. A good app.

GO GREEN!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!
brendo_91: He's Waaaarbrain, Warbrain the pirate cloown.... he'll walk you off the plank... and in the ocean you'll drooown.

March 25, 2009 2:02 am
brendo_91

brendo_91

Automaton Tech

from Australia
111 posts

Kinda wish I could change the font in the hud. Doesn't seem to be an easy way to mark all as read in hud view.

Other than that it seems pretty solid.

▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

Norante

Urchin

2 posts

The interface is a bit contrived, but having an unique app for many social networking services is nice.

estemuchacho2

estemuchacho2

Automaton Tech

from Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico
374 posts

This is great.  I was actually just starting to look for something like this.  Something to integrate all my social networking stuff, to keep it from mucking up my general web browsing as much as possible.  I'm just hoping they add more sites it can integrate with.  e.g. Digg, photobucket, blogger, picasa, delicious, yahoo, google…

Also, I can't figure out how to move stuff into user-created custom folders.  Like, if I try to drag and drop a facebook status update into a custom folder.  I can't see how to get it in there. 

So no license code needed?

Dropbox referral link; SugarSync referral link

March 25, 2009 2:07 am
cubbu

cubbu

Gearhead

from Lecce, Italy
71 posts

I think that this will come in hand when they will add a few more networks. But it already rulez.

March 25, 2009 2:10 am
jutendouji

jutendouji

Automaton Tech

from Santiago, Chile
439 posts

EventBox probably will become a good app, but this version kinda sucks. First off, it's a Beta version that is un-upgreadable and unsupported. Also, many of the services that were supposed to be inside EventBox got removed or haven't been added yet (Digg, to name one), and the users of this version will never get any of those ever.

I mean, I get it, it's free. But don't delude yourselves: this is essentially a free beta, with no upgrades, flaws and won't ever be even as good as the build coming out like, today or whenever. If you really want to use this app at all, you'll have to buy it for the updates. As it is, it serves more as a non-time-limit-buggy demo of the app.

We are MEAN, we are LEAN, we are GREEN (and extremely ripe) -- GREEN MONKEYS!
Follow me on Twitter! | <RandyWalker> YETZ! -- 15/3/2009, Never Forget
MacHeist Referral (Use it if you like me!): http://www.macheist.com/bundle/u/88908/

March 25, 2009 2:12 am
Chriswan

Chriswan

Sky Pirate

from Jakarta, Indonesia
1,194 posts

Please add it into 'My Loot' section...

Thanks a Lot

March 25, 2009 2:22 am
MrsBatch

MrsBatch

Automaton Tech

from Virginia - USA
407 posts

What do we need to do to get EventBox?? Were we supposed to click on something during the show? I don't see where to get it.

March 25, 2009 2:28 am
Rychy

Rychy

Automaton Tech

from Washington
301 posts

Yeah I saw it during the show, but now I don't know where to get it.

Setup: Mac Pro 2.8 Octo, 6GB RAM, 8800GT  l  iPhone 3GS
Currently Watching: Lie To Me, 30 Rock
Currently Playing: Mass Effect 2
Awaiting: Final Fantasy XIII, Kingdom Hearts III

March 25, 2009 2:30 am
kmiffy

kmiffy

Automaton Tech

from San Francisco
136 posts

Hey this is neat! One stop shop for all my updates. It's really a shame that my work computer is a Windows box.

March 25, 2009 2:38 am

Flikkeshaug

Tinkerer

from Norway
11 posts

Great app. Already synced it with Facebook, Twitter and Google Reader now tongue

March 25, 2009 2:40 am
tehdik

tehdik

Urchin

from San Francisco
2 posts

Where is it?

March 25, 2009 3:23 am
christian@saborio.org

christian@saborio.org

Urchin

from Costa Rica
1 posts

i can has EventBox link?

March 25, 2009 3:43 am
aaroncp

aaroncp

Automaton Tech

279 posts

Mine just freezes after clicking which social networks I want to use. I waited 10-15 minutes and finally force quit it.

MacHeist: THANK YOU FOR USING MY LINK!
DropBox: https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTcxNjA5

Thank you for using my referral links!

March 25, 2009 4:00 am
MrsBatch

MrsBatch

Automaton Tech

from Virginia - USA
407 posts

If you're looking for the EventBox app download, AaronRC posted the link to get back to the reveal show page on the EventBox Support topic. Here's the link he posted: http://www.macheist.com/revealshow/.

I was able to go to that page and click on the EventBox icon and download the program. Thanks to AaronRC!

March 25, 2009 4:05 am
btester92

btester92

Big Game Hunter

from USA
944 posts

MrsBatch wrote:

If you're looking for the EventBox app download, AaronRC posted the link to get back to the reveal show page on the EventBox Support topic. Here's the link he posted: http://www.macheist.com/revealshow/.

I was able to go to that page and click on the EventBox icon and download the program. Thanks to AaronRC!

Thank you!

If I was helpful, consider signing up for Dropbox on my referral.

March 25, 2009 4:12 am
mprazoff

mprazoff

Urchin

9 posts

Thank you very much, also.

March 25, 2009 4:14 am
fleet117

fleet117

Tinkerer

from Canada
32 posts

Thank-you also, I was watching the reveal from a Windows machine and wanted to download it when I got back to my Mac.  Glad I didn't miss out.

Go Green Go!!!

March 25, 2009 4:21 am
Rychy

Rychy

Automaton Tech

from Washington
301 posts

Thank you very much!

Setup: Mac Pro 2.8 Octo, 6GB RAM, 8800GT  l  iPhone 3GS
Currently Watching: Lie To Me, 30 Rock
Currently Playing: Mass Effect 2
Awaiting: Final Fantasy XIII, Kingdom Hearts III

March 25, 2009 4:36 am
feedpuppy

feedpuppy

Big Game Hunter

from H town
710 posts

It's a very nice app actually. Any chance it will support more services?

How do you say goodbye?

March 25, 2009 4:57 am
btester92

btester92

Big Game Hunter

from USA
944 posts

It's a pretty nice app, but I don't see a way to use it. I have a twitter client, and I use the full facebook on Safari because... well there's a lot more to facebook than status messages and photos.

If I was helpful, consider signing up for Dropbox on my referral.

March 25, 2009 5:32 am
msw1233

msw1233

Tinkerer

34 posts

would like an option to update facebook + twitter at the same time within this program.  but this is a program i was waiting on, glad to see it given away.

March 25, 2009 5:38 am
cliveisyummy

cliveisyummy

Urchin

4 posts

this app is great for me, lacking some features, but i love that it syncs with google reader and twitter!

March 25, 2009 5:54 am

christyxcore

Urchin

2 posts

feedpuppy wrote:

It's a very nice app actually. Any chance it will support more services?

The free version is not supported and will not get updates. They will be adding more services (like Digg) but if you want updates and support for the app then you need to purchase it. Well worth the money IMO, I've been using it for a few months. Love having everything in one app.

March 25, 2009 6:31 am
MacAndy

MacAndy

Automaton Tech

from Bavaria
116 posts

Thanks for the link... the show is coming at 1am in the morning (local time) and I was too tiered to get up ;-)

Andreas
Get DropBox - 2 GB + 250 MB for free

March 25, 2009 6:58 am
Geisterhund

Geisterhund

Tinkerer

from Hamburg, Germany
43 posts

I use it since it got released. Nice app. I can look through my twitters, news, comments etc a lot faster. More time for other things.

GO ORANGE GO!

March 25, 2009 8:06 am
bobbykartoon

bobbykartoon

Automaton Tech

from Vancouver
466 posts

Nice little app... kind of good to keep all the tidbits in one place smile

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he has learned in school" - Albert Einstein

March 25, 2009 8:08 am
markr

markr

Big Game Hunter

559 posts

christyxcore wrote:

The free version is not supported and will not get updates.

So it's not actually any value at all. The apparent saving written here is not a saving.

Trashed.

March 25, 2009 8:14 am
stjg

stjg

Big Game Hunter

from Here
581 posts

I heard from several people that this is their favourite app for twitter. Now I can try and find out if it is really better than Natsulion or Pwitter.

Do something healthy.
Stop eating too many Oranges!

March 25, 2009 8:47 am
nickfromdc

nickfromdc

Tinkerer

from Washington, DC
12 posts

I'm really starting to like EventBox.  I was already in the market for a replacement to Twitterrific, and the fact that it handles other services + RSS is a bonus for me.  The UI is a bit clunky at times, but hopefully the developers will refine what could be a very useful app.

Team Purple FTW!
"Happiness is a direction, not a point." - Loesje

March 25, 2009 11:49 am
The Duelist

The Duelist

Automaton Tech

from Australia
321 posts

MrsBatch wrote:

Thanx For The Link cool

I Was At Work & Couldn't Watch The Netcast Live sad

1st Mac: Mac 512K  -  Current Mac: 17" MacBook Pro 2.33GHz C2D

March 25, 2009 12:03 pm
Gonzie

Gonzie

Automaton Tech

from British Isles
395 posts

markr wrote:
christyxcore wrote:

The free version is not supported and will not get updates.

So it's not actually any value at all. The apparent saving written here is not a saving.

Trashed.

I was wondering about this myself. basically it's a demo version then… again like the apps in the loot.

it is an interesting app though will be looking into it but yes annoyed at the fact it's meant to be "free"

There's bullet holes where my compassion used to be

March 25, 2009 3:15 pm
Adrammelech

Adrammelech

Big Game Hunter

from Gallifrey
626 posts

Man, I was really liking this app. I found it a bit buggy and it didn't do some things as I'd wished...I was hoping the developer would update the app soon and see if it worked better for me. Hah, now I find out that I'm only getting a demo without an expiration date and I'm unable to update it or get support for the problems I'm having with it. I have to say, for me, this is turning more into a turn-off than into a turn-on for some reason...

EventBox 'MacHeist Edition'

http://milen.tumblr.com/post/89528243/eventbox-macheist

Referrals:
Free*My*Apps: Discover great iOS apps. Get rewarded!
FreeAppSlots: Play Slots & WIN!
Bing Rewards: Search Bing, earn credits towards rewards!

March 25, 2009 3:19 pm
cianmm

cianmm

Automaton Tech

from Dublin, Ireland
408 posts

It crashed 9 times so far today. I don't think it can take my 100+ RSS feeds.

Here comes my fourth season of MacHeist!

March 25, 2009 3:28 pm
cianmm

cianmm

Automaton Tech

from Dublin, Ireland
408 posts

Also, It won't let me make more then 6 folders for my feeds. Fail.

Here comes my fourth season of MacHeist!

March 25, 2009 3:30 pm
eleonooore

eleonooore

Gearhead

from Paris, France
69 posts

Nice app, but bad version ?
It crashes a lot on my laptop, makes others apps all slow, and i've seen A LOT more of beach ball since last night than usual.
I'll take it as a sneak peak to this app, i'll think about buying it some day (but frankly, that's not a very good first impression that you get with that version)

Go Green Monkeys!

March 25, 2009 3:43 pm
mhedstrom

mhedstrom

Tinkerer

from Denver, CO
39 posts

I'm using it to check it out, but most likely won't buy it when it goes "live".  I like TweetDeck much better for Twitter stuff, and everything seems "messy". I can't put my finger on it, it just feels like everything kind of runs together.  I would consider it more if I was able to do everything in this app - currently if I want to see a larger version of someone's Flickr photo, it takes me to my web browser which kind of defeats the purpose.

The Google Reader thing is pretty worthless right now. It's showing all of my feeds, including those which have been read, and when I click on an unread feed, instead of just showing me the X number of items in that feed that I haven't read yet, it's showing everything (the read stuff is in gray, but still is distracting). 

With a UI change I'd probably use this more.

March 25, 2009 3:58 pm
DougRay

DougRay

Urchin

from Athens, GA
2 posts

I can't get EventBox to stay open long enough to even look at it! It crashes every time. You get what you pay for, I guess.

March 25, 2009 4:40 pm
om3ga777

om3ga777

Automaton Tech

112 posts

I think it works well as Twitter-Client, but fails hopelessly as real RSS-Reader. For guys, who follow 4 feeds it may be okay ...

Still considering, if I should change from Chirp to EventBox ... the best thing would be EventBox as Dashboard Widget!

March 25, 2009 4:54 pm
eschrad

eschrad

Gearhead

from Virginia
73 posts

For those of you who think you missed being able to download it because you didn't see the Reveal Show, it's actually available on the MacHeist homepage... toward the bottom.

(Image made with LittleSnapper!)

http://img.skitch.com/20090325-nystsfp6mw7shcnd57ytg5u91w.preview.jpg
Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

March 25, 2009 5:05 pm
MintCreation

MintCreation

Sky Pirate

from Daddy Heaven :D
1,478 posts

om3ga777 wrote:

I think it works well as Twitter-Client, but fails hopelessly as real RSS-Reader. For guys, who follow 4 feeds it may be okay ...

Still considering, if I should change from Chirp to EventBox ... the best thing would be EventBox as Dashboard Widget!

Yeah the RSS part sucks a LOT.. Got 2000 unread messages right now, it won't even show any of 'em sad

I REALLY like the idea of eventbox, but in my opinion it fails in terms of user interface. It does not cope with a lot of information. It looks nice for a second until you figure out it's not really effective to work with.

Since I only use RSS, Facebook and very seldom Twitter, I think I will skip this idea and roll back to NewsWire and the WWW.. No big deal for me.

But damn I like the idea of it smile

Btw. the developers description of this MH version really made the program sound like crap.. Boiled down the message was "Give me your money or you're screwed".

Oh well...

I am not an agent in real life, only on weekends!

March 25, 2009 8:02 pm
snick

snick

Urchin

4 posts

Hi all, doesn't appear to be a bad app, kinda like it. However, If I was running firefox with a couple of tabs open and dedicated to these sites, wouldn't I accomplish the same thing? Plus I wouldn't have to run another app. 

I may be missing something...

March 26, 2009 2:29 am
mowied

mowied

Automaton Tech

from Virginia
432 posts

I was really excited to get this just to show up for something I'd been waiting all day for anyway!   I'd had a trial version that had run out, and I'd really liked it but figured I should try out other apps first and see if any of the free Twitter apps worked out okay for me.   Got as far as trying TweetDeck and was kind of annoyed - but now I'm keeping EventBox.   If I need to pay to update it and the updates are something I want, sure, I'll pay for it.  And it works just fine as it is right now.

March 26, 2009 3:09 am
SiteCR2

SiteCR2

Urchin

from Alabama
9 posts

nice to consolidate to one location. not sure yet if i'd pay for this, time will tell

SiteCR2
USAF - Migs Destroyed, Mud Moved
& Sunrise Upon Request!

March 26, 2009 3:17 am
johnmc.org

johnmc.org

Tinkerer

from Roseville, CA
10 posts

You can also find the download link by just scrolling down on the front page.

March 26, 2009 5:30 am
jonofriedman

jonofriedman

Gearhead

from Beverly Hills
79 posts

i love this app. i was using twitterific and tweetdeck before this, but this is awesome. it grabs facebook updates, twitter updates, and my google reader feeds. it's overall fantastic. and i think i'd definitely go and pay for an updated version if it was much better. there are definitely more features that could be added and more preferences and options given, but overall - this app is A++.

btw - please download the bundle through my link, i haven't gotten any referrals yet and will remove the link once i have got them! smile

my words of wisdom | jonathanfriedman.com
sign up for Dropbox, get 2GB of free storage + 250MB extra: my Dropbox referral link
GO PURPLE!

March 26, 2009 7:12 am

jhollow

Urchin

5 posts

I tried this app out last night, loaded it up with facebook, flickr and twitter and I really like the way it works. I have had no problems with it so far and it seems to use less resources than tweetdeck. Since getting eventbox I have stopped using tweetdeck.

My referral link: Have 0 Need 2

http://www.macheist.com/bundle/u/259700/

March 26, 2009 3:31 pm

rebel09

Tinkerer

11 posts

I must say I am rather frustrated with this "MacHeist Version" of the software.  I was wondering what that means and now see that it is no updates. which kinda sucks when you think about the fact that the licenses we are supposed to get are essentially supposed to be full fledged coppies.  Can't decided if this would be work 20 bucks or not

March 26, 2009 4:55 pm
JONAH237

JONAH237

Automaton Tech

273 posts

Looks promising in its ability to simplify. Again it is the thought that counts so thank you for the inclusion of EB. Can a mac user really have too many apps anyway?

March 26, 2009 5:02 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ EventBox

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?