Forums

★ The Hit List

MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ The Hit List
rampancy

rampancy

from Denial.
3,889 posts

stjg wrote:

I have tried several GTD apps. I don't like the look and feel of Thinking Rock, Chandler is wy too overloaded, Omnifocus is too complicated, Things is not quite what I want and rest of the apps are unsupported or too simple. I really liked Inbox, the price was right , it is real GTD and looks nice. Unfortunately the developer DNGTD. Inbox just does not work. Anyone else has the latest beta working?
Now THL is a welcome offer. I will try it.

That's really a shame, as Midnight Inbox was one of the first apps of its type in the Mac market - it pretty much defined the genre. And it does look very, very nice. The problem is that it's extremely buggy and version 2.0 is about a year overdue. I've heard it been said that it's an example of a designer trying to be a coder...

I'd buy it myself if it were a lot more stable. But as it happens I'm already drowning in GTD apps.

Marathon Forever.
AppShelf: MacHeist 3 Loot
AppShelf: nanoBundle 1
Check Reciept Page for nanoBundle 2 AppShelf Files.

March 27, 2009 10:51 am
techknow

techknow

Tinkerer

from Where dragons roam
41 posts

I look forward to the iPhone application and synching as that would really make a huge difference to me. Being able to have synced data in two places would be really nice as I amn't always at my Mac. I am really glad its in the bundle, it certainly confirmed that it was worth it, if not for all the other apps than just for THL.

-- MacHeist Referal Link (http://www.macheist.com/bundle/u/47848/) only need one more!
-- "Be nice to nerds, you'll probably end up working for one" (Bill Gates)
-- Go team Orange

March 27, 2009 11:55 am
rogue25u20

rogue25u20

Gearhead

from Indiana - U.S.A.
92 posts

Paid owner of Things for Mac and iPhone.  It keeps getting better but there are some quirks and just plain missing features (for me).  I tried the initial The Hit List Beta but was turned off by the normal Beta phase bugs so I'm very happy to see it as part of the bundle... expecting for it to be much more polished and stable.  At this point, if anything, I think the Mac community has more then enough task/to-do/GTD apps to pick from.

Get DropBox - 2 GB + 250 MB for free

March 27, 2009 3:22 pm
gemmes

gemmes

Big Game Hunter

665 posts

rogue25u20 wrote:

Paid owner of Things for Mac and iPhone.  It keeps getting better but there are some quirks and just plain missing features (for me).  I tried the initial The Hit List Beta but was turned off by the normal Beta phase bugs so I'm very happy to see it as part of the bundle... expecting for it to be much more polished and stable.  At this point, if anything, I think the Mac community has more then enough task/to-do/GTD apps to pick from.

Same here I think The Hit List and Espresso look like they will be great apps eventually but they seem to be a bit buggy and lacking in some features at the moment.

FREE Dropbox Storage Use link for EXTRA space for you and me. big_smile
15.4" 2.5GHz 4GB MacBook Pro, 32GB iPhone 3GS

March 27, 2009 3:31 pm
notyoubutme

notyoubutme

Automaton Tech

from Land of the windmills
374 posts

clown wrote:

What's the difference between this and thing (except the iphone sync)?

There many things.
But here a just a few that speak out for me..
- the ability to just drop your mail on top of the dock icon and it will turn atomaticly into a task with the mail attached.
- for every task you can assign start, due, completed but also an estimation of the time. It comes with a timer (although I don't use  that one.) that could tack the actual time.
- it comes with a whole bunch of shortcuts that allows you to very quickly get things set...

But be carefull when you want to sync it with iCal when you use already an onther GTD app that does the same. Make a backup of both of them (iCal and your the other GTD app). One of the anoying things is that it shows it's tagging in the tasklist of iCal. Hope that will change later on in a way Things handles it. When you enable the syncing it wipes out all the tasks in iCal...

March 27, 2009 4:02 pm

madmaxmedia

Urchin

6 posts

A couple of other differences-

THL has great keyboard interface, it makes it a lot quicker to navigate and edit tasks.
THL also incorporates the concept of lists (basically separate pages of tasks), which I find very useful. You get the power of a database, combined with certain advantages from an outliner-type interface.

The best thing to do is of course try both apps out. They are both very well done and well-thought out IMO, different users will prefer one or the other (or a totally different app) based on their work style.

March 27, 2009 4:36 pm

mattone

Urchin

4 posts

I'm eager to give THL a try. I've used many GTD apps and like Things the best and while I used it all the way through beta up until 1.0, I found it a tad spendy. To be fair there was another issue. The place I worked would not allow any wifi. Since I used Things with my iPod Touch,  there was no way to sync tasks. That killed it for me. Now I'm using Toodelo on the iPod Touch and via the web. Its terrific but a little ugly. It syncs whenever it has a wifi connection. I can use the web client at the office and the iPod version anywhere else. Costs $1.99.

March 27, 2009 4:49 pm
Chevy409

Chevy409

Gearhead

from USA
72 posts

Hmm, will we even get this app though? Looks like the charity is not going very fast.

"You wouldn't like me when I'm angry." Green team is hulking out. big_smile

March 27, 2009 4:50 pm
jaqen

jaqen

Gearhead

61 posts

I already bought Things (desktop+iPhone) and use OmniFocus at work. It’s hard to get things done when you’re always busy entering them in your to-do lists and calendars. Honestly, can’t see how THL can be such a dramatic improvement over Things or OmniFocus that it would make me switch.

The real clincher is iPhone support. Without being able to carry around my list to look at when I have the time (such as sitting on the bus), personal to-do lists aren’t that helpful to me.

March 27, 2009 4:53 pm
TimR

TimR

Tinkerer

from London, UK
27 posts

I've been using Omnifocus, but I'd definitely like to try this to see how it compares. It'll take a lot to make me drop OF though. look forward to the unlock!

March 27, 2009 5:01 pm
feedpuppy

feedpuppy

Big Game Hunter

from H town
710 posts

notyoubutme wrote:

But be carefull when you want to sync it with iCal when you use already an onther GTD app that does the same. Make a backup of both of them (iCal and your the other GTD app). One of the anoying things is that it shows it's tagging in the tasklist of iCal. Hope that will change later on in a way Things handles it. When you enable the syncing it wipes out all the tasks in iCal...

Oh well, I just experienced my first THL crash after enable the iCal sync and opened iCal. The syncing went through though.

How do you say goodbye?

March 27, 2009 6:01 pm

cubic.archon

Urchin

1 posts

I downloaded the beta of THL after getting irritated with Things _yet again_ messing things up after a sync, and I have to say, it looks absolutely brilliant. A few minutes of playing and I felt immediately at home, far more so than with Omnifocus, which also feels too GTD-doctrinaire for me.

If they come up with a good iPhone client quickly I'd buy it even if it _wasn't_ in the bundle.

And I also like the little noise it makes when you tick off a task.

March 27, 2009 8:16 pm
hobbesthewolf

hobbesthewolf

Automaton Tech

from California
129 posts

I think the problem with 'locked' applications is that a lot of people won't buy it because they want to make sure the apps would get unlocked. Since so many people are doing this, I'm worried that THL and Espresso won't get unlocked... That would really suck because THL was the deal breaker for me. The other applications are amazing, sure, but I don't have much need for them. I just hope it gets unlocked, so we can get more than just the beta...

Come on, all. Buy, buy, buy!

March 28, 2009 1:43 am
JMarkevich

JMarkevich

Sky Pirate

from Halifax, Canada
1,190 posts

I almost did that.  I decided I was going to buy it anyway, probably late in the bundle.  I estimated what I would pay for the few applications I might be slightly interested in, and it was close enough.

I think the ones holding out need to download all of the demos and just run them for a few days to see if they're worth something to them.

"You have the whitest white-part-of-the-eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?"
Get Dropbox. You need it!

March 28, 2009 2:58 am
dunlap3

dunlap3

Big Game Hunter

from Detroit, Mi
521 posts

I really like Process for managing my large projects, but THL looks like the perfect interface for the to-dos that I often have that don't fit into a particular category.  I especially like the "Someday" option.  I don't put my long range goals into GTD software right now.  That may be what the "Someday" list becomes for me.  I'm looking very forward to it becoming unlocked, and even more forward to the iPhone app.  (And to think that I just paid $9.99 last month for ToDo.  Oh well.)

MichelleDunlap.com - Twitter -
Go Green Monkeys!

March 28, 2009 5:05 am
hobbesthewolf

hobbesthewolf

Automaton Tech

from California
129 posts

I was actually planning on holding out, but I played the WoG demo, and WOW it was amazing. I realized I was gonna get this game either way, and I might as well pay an extra $11 (I had $8 off from the missions) for a bunch of applications that are TOTALLY worth it. So I bought it. Hope everyone (or at least enough people) do this, too.

March 28, 2009 5:19 am
mike007

mike007

Automaton Tech

from Indiana
370 posts

I am having trouble getting this to sync with iCal right now.  Every time I check the box in preferences, i restart the program and it is unchecked again.  Anyone else having this problem??

March 28, 2009 9:26 pm
JMarkevich

JMarkevich

Sky Pirate

from Halifax, Canada
1,190 posts

How do all of you set up your folder/list structure?

I find I need a "General" list at the top level plus a folder for each area (which might include one or more contexts)... and in that folder I need a "General" list as well.  I need those so I can empty my inbox easily.

I also have an "All Undone" smartlist, because I find searching isn't really useful if it's not global.

March 28, 2009 10:15 pm
hobbesthewolf

hobbesthewolf

Automaton Tech

from California
129 posts

There’s one thing that I really wish that THL had. I tend to put things into multiple lists, and THL doesn’t have a feature that can help with this. Ya, I can duplicate the item, but then the task will only be marked off in one list, not all of them. I really hope that there is a feature like this coming out soon!

March 29, 2009 6:11 am
JMarkevich

JMarkevich

Sky Pirate

from Halifax, Canada
1,190 posts

hobbesthewolf wrote:

There’s one thing that I really wish that THL had. I tend to put things into multiple lists, and THL doesn’t have a feature that can help with this. Ya, I can duplicate the item, but then the task will only be marked off in one list, not all of them. I really hope that there is a feature like this coming out soon!

Isn't this what tags and contexts are for?  Check out the Smart Folders, I think you'll be pleased.

March 29, 2009 1:15 pm
ghoti

ghoti

Gearhead

79 posts

This could be the surprise app in this bundle for me - i.e., the one I didn't think I'd even try, but that I end up liking a lot. I'm using Things and I also bought OmniFocus some time ago when I got frustrated with the lack of progress on Things. But I kind of hate OF's ugliness and weird interface, Things is so much more pleasant.

THL looks good and is very pleasant to use. I just entered stuff for the next few days and really like the way it works. I also like the idea of separate start and end dates - that's something Things doesn't have, and that makes a lot of sense. The tabs are cool idea too, though I wish I could "pin" them to a particular view. I'm really liking this, and I'm pretty positive that it'll be unlocked.

March 29, 2009 2:35 pm
ghoti

ghoti

Gearhead

79 posts

Oh, and another thing: Simply dragging stuff around to make sub-projects is very cool. I know, OmniFocus does that too, but Things is a lot more complicated in that regard.

March 29, 2009 2:36 pm
jdhoss

jdhoss

Big Game Hunter

from Minnesota
963 posts

txviaok wrote:

i have been using the beta and it is amazing... can't wait till the iphone app comes out

Is this on the slate for the final release? That would be great! It may drive to to pick up a Touch (since the iPhone isn't available in my part of the world (North Dakota).

Action may not always bring happiness; but there is no happiness without action. - Benjamin Disraeli
BundleSite.com
Twitter
JD's Complete MacHeist Desktop Wallpaper Collection

March 30, 2009 12:54 am
gnetro

gnetro

Tinkerer

from Inside your head
12 posts

badly want it...

No Matter How Gifted You Are, You Cannot Change The World Alone

March 30, 2009 5:17 am
wiginabox

wiginabox

Urchin

2 posts

THL looks amazing, I'm really eager of getting it unlocked.

March 30, 2009 5:45 am
pipher

pipher

Automaton Tech

from Los Angeles, CA
445 posts

New Beta released this morning (version 0.9.3.4). Revisions listed below.

Version 0.9.3.4
March 29, 2009

• Show all tasks in card view
• Allow changing the sort order in Today and Upcoming lists
• Allow moving tasks when sorting by list even in smart folders and tags
• Pressing command-1 through command-4 reopens the window if it's closed
• Command-option-arrow keys move tasks around. Rejoice Dvorak using brothers and sisters!
• Preference for changing the close tab shortcut
• Show an example rule below the repeating task recurrence rule field
• Natural language parser for recurrence rules treats a list of numbers as days of the month
• Added menu item to open the release notes to the Help menu
• Added menu item to visit the user group to the Help menu
• Changed shortcut for Copy as Link to command-option-shift-C
• Shortcut key for Show Colors is now command-shift-C, as it should be
• Handle support request and license URLs
• Fixed crash that happens when printing folders
• Fixed repeating tasks that are set to repeat after completion making copies even when not completed yet
• Fixed tag filter not updating the button state correctly after reopening the main window
• Fixed some menu items getting disabled when they shouldn't be
• Fixed tasks sometimes collapsing their subtasks when using 'Go To'
• Fixed a bug where typing @ at the beginning of a task messed up the completion pop-up
• Work around a Mail.app bug that happens when drag-and-dropping an email with no subject
• Other bug fixes

March 30, 2009 3:29 pm

macmac

Tinkerer

49 posts

How do you get the tabs to show up on the top, like they show in the picture? Mine change depending on what I click on in the left pane.

March 30, 2009 3:32 pm
notyoubutme

notyoubutme

Automaton Tech

374 posts

cmd+T gives you a new tab..

March 30, 2009 4:55 pm
techknow

techknow

Tinkerer

from Where dragons roam
41 posts

I really hope we manage to unlock this application. Its one of the most useful in the bundle by far.

-- MacHeist Referal Link (http://www.macheist.com/bundle/u/47848/) only need one more!
-- "Be nice to nerds, you'll probably end up working for one" (Bill Gates)
-- Go team Orange

March 30, 2009 7:27 pm
JMarkevich

JMarkevich

Sky Pirate

from Halifax, Canada
1,190 posts

macmac wrote:

How do you get the tabs to show up on the top, like they show in the picture? Mine change depending on what I click on in the left pane.

They still do change, even if you have one up there already.  There are requests to "lock" or "pin" tabs to a particular view.  I'd say all they need to do is check for an opened tab and switch to that, otherwise change as it does now.

March 30, 2009 7:37 pm
ghoti

ghoti

Gearhead

79 posts

Exactly. That's a pretty obvious feature and looking around the Google Group, it's been requested many times. I think we'll see that soon.

Though if sales continue like that, we're lucky if BoinxTV gets unlocked ...

March 30, 2009 8:53 pm
toyb0mb

toyb0mb

Urchin

7 posts

techknow wrote:

I really hope we manage to unlock this application. Its one of the most useful in the bundle by far.

i agree ... but i have my doubts about the unlock hmm

March 30, 2009 10:07 pm
EiNZTEiN

EiNZTEiN

Urchin

from Ames, IA
4 posts

This app made me buy the bundle...
Starting to get unsure about that decision hmm

If not all apps get unlocked, I doubt I'll ever even look at the Macheist bundle again!

/dev/null

March 31, 2009 12:56 am
JMarkevich

JMarkevich

Sky Pirate

from Halifax, Canada
1,190 posts

EiNZTEiN wrote:

This app made me buy the bundle...
Starting to get unsure about that decision hmm

If not all apps get unlocked, I doubt I'll ever even look at the Macheist bundle again!

I was sold on this one primarily too, though I made a calculated decision even without it... I calculated rough dollar values for the unlocked apps I'd use and waited to see if it was worth $31.  I figured World of Goo was $5 at least, Little Snapper and WireTap $10 each at least, and maybe acorn was a good $5 or more.  I think some are worth more than that now that I've tried them, but it helped me decide.

The Hit List all by itself is easily well worth the bundle price though.

March 31, 2009 1:30 am
Anomaly112

Anomaly112

Gearhead

53 posts

Yeah, we're never gonna see this one are we?

March 31, 2009 7:05 am
WebKarnage

WebKarnage

Big Game Hunter

from UK
776 posts

I bought the bundle happily, but whether I use this instead of Process we got earlier, I'm uncertain. Process lets people share projects through a network effortlessly. It's document viewer is really cool too.

I can't see what makes this more expensive than Process?

The Optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds, the Pessimist fears this is true.

March 31, 2009 7:13 am
dannythefool

dannythefool

Automaton Tech

from Karlsruhe, Germany
167 posts

Ok, now I played with it a bit and it looks tremendously useful, but for some reason I doubt I'd manage to keep using it... it's all fine as long as I can keep everything in my head, right?

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. (Elbert Hubbard)

March 31, 2009 7:43 am
notyoubutme

notyoubutme

Automaton Tech

374 posts

WebKarnage wrote:

I bought the bundle happily, but whether I use this instead of Process we got earlier, I'm uncertain. Process lets people share projects through a network effortlessly. It's document viewer is really cool too.

It still suprizes me that ppl use Process that way. I'm curious about how they use it. If they sync it  with iCal and if they use the iCal data also in other programs.
I can understand the value of project sharing, but for me, as a one man show, I don't have need for that.
The things I miss in Process:
- you can assign start and due dates but it doesn't give you the possiblility to assign hours or days to it.
- no repeating tasks
- The syncing options with iCal are pore. If you sync it with iCal it creates new calendars rather than give you the ability to assign task to calanders you already use.  If you use your iCal calanders also to store all your timedata with a tool like TimeLog, that doesn't feel right.

March 31, 2009 8:44 am
DerBoss

DerBoss

Sky Pirate

from Germany
1,067 posts

pipher wrote:

New Beta released this morning (version 0.9.3.4). Revisions listed below.

Version 0.9.3.4
March 29, 2009

just saw you post. thanks i updated hitlist!

Click here to get Dropbox Storage for free + additional 250 MB

March 31, 2009 11:56 am
WebKarnage

WebKarnage

Big Game Hunter

from UK
776 posts

notyoubutme wrote:
WebKarnage wrote:

It still suprizes me that ppl use Process that way. I'm curious about how they use it. If they sync it  with iCal and if they use the iCal data also in other programs.
I can understand the value of project sharing, but for me, as a one man show, I don't have need for that.
- you can assign start and due dates but it doesn't give you the possiblility to assign hours or days to it.
- no repeating tasks
- The syncing options with iCal are pore. If you sync it with iCal it creates new calendars rather than give you the ability to assign task to calanders you already use.  If you use your iCal calanders also to store all your timedata with a tool like TimeLog, that doesn't feel right.

I tend to work on build projects, music projects and websites.

Music, I tend to have an overall project name, then the tracks that are going into that project. I don't tend to repeat tracks. I use the priority to change things into the order I need and work down. I tend to focus on a project for a half day or longer most of the time.

I might add lyric sheets to music, equipment brochures to build projects, documents given to me by clients for websites etc. Works a dream.

I don't use iCal much at all, so iCal syncing isn't relevant.

The Optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds, the Pessimist fears this is true.

March 31, 2009 12:25 pm
JMarkevich

JMarkevich

Sky Pirate

from Halifax, Canada
1,190 posts

dannythefool wrote:

Ok, now I played with it a bit and it looks tremendously useful, but for some reason I doubt I'd manage to keep using it... it's all fine as long as I can keep everything in my head, right?

You need to read "Getting Things Done" by David Allen.  Keeping everything in your head is what makes you stressed out about things you need to do.  Look at the tagline on PotionFactory.com - "Forget what you need to do with confidence"

March 31, 2009 1:00 pm
dannythefool

dannythefool

Automaton Tech

from Karlsruhe, Germany
167 posts

JMarkevich wrote:

Keeping everything in your head is what makes you stressed out about things you need to do.

That's the point, it doesn't make me stressed out.

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. (Elbert Hubbard)

March 31, 2009 1:45 pm
guri8000

guri8000

Urchin

from Japan
8 posts

THL is the most useful GTD software after that I had tried Thinks, Inbox, OmniFocus, iGTD. It allows me to handle things to do very well.

Shion

March 31, 2009 1:51 pm
notyoubutme

notyoubutme

Automaton Tech

374 posts

WebKarnage wrote:
notyoubutme wrote:
WebKarnage wrote:

- no repeating tasks

Music, I tend to have an overall project name, then the tracks that are going into that project. I don't tend to repeat tracks. I use the priority to change things into the order I need and work down. I tend to focus on a project for a half day or longer most of the time.

I might add lyric sheets to music, equipment brochures to build projects, documents given to me by clients for websites etc. Works a dream.

Thanks for the reply and the insight. I can see how that suites you..
For me, I do website design+dev. My overall (new) project planning is been done in Merlin when I make an offer.  If the project goes into place I export it to iCal. From here I can grab the data for my GTD app which I use to mix it with my other sort term tasks like maintenence etc.
Trough iCal the same data gets also availeble in TimeLog. Frome there I start loging when ever I work on it.
Finally GrandTotal will get the logdata and I will make nice invoices for all of my customers..
ICal is like a crossroad to me..

March 31, 2009 2:40 pm

tysont

Urchin

4 posts

notyoubutme wrote:
WebKarnage wrote:
notyoubutme wrote:

- no repeating tasks

Thanks for the reply and the insight. I can see how that suites you..
For me, I do website design+dev. My overall (new) project planning is been done in Merlin when I make an offer.  If the project goes into place I export it to iCal. From here I can grab the data for my GTD app which I use to mix it with my other sort term tasks like maintenence etc.
Trough iCal the same data gets also availeble in TimeLog. Frome there I start loging when ever I work on it.
Finally GrandTotal will get the logdata and I will make nice invoices for all of my customers..
ICal is like a crossroad to me..

That seems like an awful lot of work... have you looked into Billings 3 for your timekeeping/invoicing?  I'd simply be lost without it.

March 31, 2009 10:15 pm
JMarkevich

JMarkevich

Sky Pirate

from Halifax, Canada
1,190 posts

dannythefool wrote:
JMarkevich wrote:

Keeping everything in your head is what makes you stressed out about things you need to do.

That's the point, it doesn't make me stressed out.

Enjoy it!  You must not have a load of demands on you right now.  Or you manage them in some other way.

March 31, 2009 10:39 pm
I WAS the one

I WAS the one

Urchin

from Florida
2 posts

Ok... If nothing happens... and let's say we never made it to the $400K.. no new app will be on our "APPS JAR" no more?

"Yesterday Our Bitten Apple Ruled The World... Today That Apple Has a Tiny Window Reflection On It... Get It?" - IWAS

March 31, 2009 11:15 pm
Chevy409

Chevy409

Gearhead

from USA
72 posts

The Hit List and Espresso were two apps I bought the bundle for. Can't wait to not get them! smile

"You wouldn't like me when I'm angry." Green team is hulking out. big_smile

April 1, 2009 2:10 am
valente.mac

valente.mac

Gearhead

83 posts

Chevy409 wrote:

The Hit List and Espresso were two apps I bought the bundle for. Can't wait to not get them! smile

Same here!

Dropbox referral smile
Extra note: "I don't think I've ever been a part of a true disaster before."

April 1, 2009 2:20 am
buzzasus

buzzasus

Automaton Tech

from FL
186 posts

I'm rather interested in giving The Hit List a try also. I use Things currently, but keep hearing great things about THL, so it's piqued my curiosity now. Having this app unlock would really be a bonus. smile

- Brian

April 1, 2009 2:44 am
MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ The Hit List

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?