Forums

★ Times

MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ Times
johnred

johnred

Directorate

1,869 posts

Post your thoughts about Times here.

(If you have any Times support related issues, please post them here.)

John Casasanta
MacHeist Director
tap tap tap chief

April 4, 2009 11:31 pm
WebKarnage

WebKarnage

Big Game Hunter

from UK
776 posts

WOW!! An RSS reader I think I'll actually like! This is a cracking addition for me. I know lots of people might think it duplicates Eventbox (not a full license anyway) but this does RSS in a way that really makes extra use of it's potential. Well done Acrylic for thinking outside the Eventbox!! (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

The Optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds, the Pessimist fears this is true.

April 4, 2009 11:43 pm
ischeriad

ischeriad

Tinkerer

from Germany
25 posts

Where did that come from? Thanks very much, looks promising!

April 4, 2009 11:43 pm
daba

daba

Big Game Hunter

from New Zealand
640 posts

have always wanted this... and now there 14 apps (sadly 2 prob won't be unlocked sad )

“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.” — Arthur C. Clarke. Sharing large files and backing them up using Dropbox is just like magic, and you can get 2.5 GB of free storage when you sign up for Dropbox with this link.

April 4, 2009 11:45 pm
bhp

bhp

Automaton Tech

from San Antonio, TX
266 posts

Don't know about this one.  Will have to check it out when I get the chance.  I really enjoy Google Reader, though, so I'm not certain this can replace that.

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker.
Thomas J. Watson

▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

April 4, 2009 11:48 pm

hiulit

Urchin

1 posts

I was wondering if I have already bought the Bundle, can I get these new applications just added? Because it is so, I don't see how.

thank you!!! smile

April 4, 2009 11:49 pm
ghoti

ghoti

Gearhead

79 posts

Not my cup of tea, but my gf loves it.

BTW, there is very little overlap between Times Reader and EventBox. Yes, they both do RSS, but EventBox also does a lot of other stuff, and Times does it in a very specific way. If they add NewsFire too, then there will be redundancy.

April 4, 2009 11:50 pm
Molnies

Molnies

Big Game Hunter

from Sweden
527 posts

I really like NetNewsWire and thought that was a great RSS reader, haven't heard about Times before. But Don's video blew my mind, never thought about using RSS feeds like that before, I will without a doubt give it a try. Seems like a perfect RSS reader for me personally at least. Great thanks!

daba wrote:

have always wanted this... and now there 14 apps (sadly 2 prob won't be unlocked sad )

Not to go off topic but the fact that the 14 original apps are clearly visible in the ad over @ http://www.macworld.com/ and were in the earlier e-mail advertisement sent out from MH (that did not mention locks, neither did the purchase page where that e-mail linked) so I think it's save to say that all apps will be unlocked.

Edit: @ghoti: First of all, NewsFire is now free, second of all, NewsFire was included in the first MH bundle.

Think Purple.

April 4, 2009 11:52 pm
Moklonus

Moklonus

Automaton Tech

from Indiana
250 posts

Thanks! I didn't even know something like this was out there. Pretty cool.

"Whaa....?"

April 4, 2009 11:53 pm
soushiruiuma

soushiruiuma

Big Game Hunter

from Switzerland
579 posts

hiulit wrote:

I was wondering if I have already bought the Bundle, can I get these new applications just added? Because it is so, I don't see how.

thank you!!! smile

Check www.macheist.com/myorder
You can also get to it by going to the macheist mainpage and clicking 'view my receipt' which is in the top right corner.

He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which. ~Douglas Adams

April 4, 2009 11:59 pm

tmlee44

Urchin

from Sunny Arizona
1 posts

hiulit wrote:

thank you!!! smile

I was wondering the same thing...how do you get the new apps after purchase?

April 4, 2009 11:59 pm

suomichris

Automaton Tech

222 posts

I really like the newspaper-style interface on this—super slick!  Especially the flip-down to read articles.

Yet again, nicely done, Directorate...  Now if only it would import correctly...

April 5, 2009 12:01 am
rookie

rookie

Automaton Tech

from Urbana
170 posts

I was pleasantly surprised to see it.  I have been using headline (from the giving tree) but it wasn't really doing it for me. 

So this app alone made my day and probably the app i will use the most from the bundle.  Rock on guys.

Green is the new black

April 5, 2009 12:02 am

suomichris

Automaton Tech

222 posts

tmlee44 wrote:
hiulit wrote:

thank you!!! smile

I was wondering the same thing...how do you get the new apps after purchase?

Go back to your receipt—anything added should be there if you already purchases.

April 5, 2009 12:02 am
bobbykartoon

bobbykartoon

Automaton Tech

from Vancouver
466 posts

Very cool! I will definitely be checking out more RSS feed now! smile

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he has learned in school" - Albert Einstein

April 5, 2009 12:08 am
rookie

rookie

Automaton Tech

from Urbana
170 posts

another note: For every app that is added you have to uncheck the get updates checkbox.  Otherwise you'll get email from the devs (if thats your thing; cool )

Green is the new black

April 5, 2009 12:09 am
froggy

froggy

Automaton Tech

from toronto, canada
112 posts

I am really looking forward to trying it out.  Sounds like a very useful app.

April 5, 2009 12:10 am
carenza

carenza

Gearhead

from UK
55 posts

Pretty cool! I like smile

April 5, 2009 12:11 am
btester92

btester92

Big Game Hunter

from USA
944 posts

It's a very cool app! I wish it could sync with the iPhone, then I would use it over NetNewsWire. Very slick, thanks!

If I was helpful, consider signing up for Dropbox on my referral.

April 5, 2009 12:11 am
mike007

mike007

Automaton Tech

from Indiana
370 posts

Wow, this is a really great RSS reader.  Trying to get all my feeds set up in it now.  I wish I could make a new page though.

April 5, 2009 12:21 am
jbkyoyo

jbkyoyo

Tinkerer

35 posts

This is so cool! I mentioned this app to a moderator a while back and they had said they really liked it and were going to try to tell the directorate about it and here it is! I don't really know for sure, but I wonder if my mentioning this got it to be one of the apps? That would be cool smile

April 5, 2009 12:25 am
higs

higs

Tinkerer

from USA
23 posts

mike007 wrote:

Wow, this is a really great RSS reader.  Trying to get all my feeds set up in it now.  I wish I could make a new page though.

FILE - NEW PAGE

Green Team!

April 5, 2009 12:27 am
n4thanl

n4thanl

Automaton Tech

from Denver
149 posts

This is how RSS should be.

The blibbet is watching you.
Save The Internet! Click here to find out how!!!
n4thanl@gmail.com
http://whatireadwhatiwrite.blogspot.com/

April 5, 2009 12:30 am
jimhaw

jimhaw

Tinkerer

from Davao
16 posts

Are there any restrictions to this app as being part of the bundle? Like not getting updates?

April 5, 2009 12:35 am
ischeriad

ischeriad

Tinkerer

from Germany
25 posts

My initial excitement has already worn off. Times has its problems.

Importing from NetNewsWire went fine for me (after resetting Times to empty), but arranging the feeds on the pages is too (artificially) restrictive for my taste. Why can't I have multiple feeds in the top section for example?

While viewing the full article inside Times seems to be a great thing, it only works with about half my feeds.

The eye candy is a bit too much, page curl doesn't work for me (plastic MacBook, GMA950 obviously doesn't kick it). I have a multi monitor setup with the displays arranged below each other, when Times is maximized on the top screen the "curl" reaches into the bottom screen and looks ugly.

The Shelf is a bit buggy (pages sitting next to instead of on the shelf) and it doesn't fit my workflow. All in all Times is too mouse centric for me, this has nothing to do with "much faster than a typical news reader" (promo screencast), I will stay with NetNewsWire for now.

April 5, 2009 12:39 am
Wooster

Wooster

Automaton Tech

from Connecticut
157 posts

Bundle Apps are full, non bundle apps are at the programmers discretion, I know event box is NOT a full application, can't vouch on Delicious Library 2 or Multiwinia but considering they're on the receipt page, I don't see why they would be partial apps.

April 5, 2009 12:41 am
ageofinnosence

ageofinnosence

Automaton Tech

from Cincinnati, OH
194 posts

It's interesting and a cool idea, but a) it runs slowly on my machine (not their fault, my mac is just old) and b) it doesn't seem to import my folders from NetNewsWire (which is a pain because I had all my folders set up just how I liked it but Times doesn't seem to detect those folders on import).

Also bugs me a little that there doesn't appear to be a way to delete a whole bunch of feeds at once, which would be useful because Times automatically subscribes you to a bunch of feeds when it launches for the first time, which is great if you've never used RSS before, but many of those feeds I don't need and it's a minor pain to have to go through and delete them one at a time.

If I can get myself a new Mac this summer or fall, I may revisit Times because I actually do like the concept behind it and think it could be a nice way of viewing my feeds.

April 5, 2009 12:44 am
dunlap3

dunlap3

Big Game Hunter

from Detroit, Mi
521 posts

John, you and the rest of the Directorate just made my night.  I have been wanting Times for quite a while now.  The reason I hadn't bought it is because what little extra money I had was long ago set aside for MH3.  I came home from dinner and found the notice in my Twitter feed.  What a wonderful surprise!

MichelleDunlap.com - Twitter -
Go Green Monkeys!

April 5, 2009 12:45 am
nathaniel_h

nathaniel_h

Gearhead

from US
89 posts

I'm not sure if I like Times for it's actually purpose or not. I think I might use it as an actual "news reader", as in, I'll only subscribe to CNN, NWT, DH, and other mainstream newspaper companies. I don't think it handles blogs very well- not enough space.

Thanks MacHeist, this was very unexpected! Although... I still hope Espresso gets unlocked. I'm going to be watching the podcast @ 7:00 pm central time!

(If you keep adding apps, I have a suggestion: Billings 3!)

April 5, 2009 12:52 am
dmacdonald

dmacdonald

Developer

32 posts

Hey guys, sorry about the crashes - we're looking into it and will get a fix out ASAP.

jimhaw wrote:

Are there any restrictions to this app as being part of the bundle? Like not getting updates?

MacHeist customers will receive everything a regular customer does, including free updates.

April 5, 2009 12:56 am
simonandmartina

simonandmartina

Automaton Tech

from South Korea
429 posts

Worst app I own.  I reinstalled it, after having deleted it a long time ago, and look at my screen:

http://img.skitch.com/20090405-kaskspyrshyw629mhes8r729px.preview.jpg

I can't really read any news with this now, can I?

Our ORANGE photo and movie blog in Bucheon, Korea: http://www.eatyourkimchi.com

April 5, 2009 1:05 am
NoahFuLing

NoahFuLing

Tinkerer

from East Coast, USA
43 posts

Arggghhhh, I LOVE Times, it's such a fabulous application, but it doesn't sync with Google Reader! EventBox does, but very poorly... I've seen Times before, and I would totally use it 100% of the time, except I got hooked on Google Reader in early January...

(This isn't a complaint, far from it. I love Times so much, but the Google Reader thing means I need to check 2 places for my RSS feeds now.)

EDIT: I've seen the above bug, but I reinstalled and it works fine. simonandmartina seems to enjoy peeing on other people's parades.

"Our imagination is stretched to the utmost, not, as in fiction, to imagine things which are not really there, but just to comprehend those things which are there."
Richard Feynman - The Character of Physical Law (1965)

April 5, 2009 1:08 am
AquaDan

AquaDan

Automaton Tech

from Monster Island
274 posts

Is there any chance of Times being able to use my google reader subscriptions directly in the future? It has a great look, but I read a lot of news in Byline on the iPhone so I need something that uses google so my already read articles sync up.

April 5, 2009 1:08 am
jbkyoyo

jbkyoyo

Tinkerer

35 posts

simonandmartina wrote:

Worst app I own.  I reinstalled it, after having deleted it a long time ago, and look at my screen:

http://img.skitch.com/20090405-kaskspyr … review.jpg

You just have to recreate your pages. If you set it up with the feeds you like it can be very useful.

April 5, 2009 1:17 am

mynameisraj

doesn't import opml at all, so I'm screwed. I import the file, but nothing happens. tried using 3 different outputs from 3 different apps.

April 5, 2009 1:24 am
NoahFuLing

NoahFuLing

Tinkerer

from East Coast, USA
43 posts

Oy, I hate to doublepost, but is this application transferrable? That is to say, if I get a new computer (or reinstall OS X) can I re-use the serial? I know there are a couple programs in the Bundle that don't allow this, and I might remove Times from my MacBook and put it on my iMac, so I want to make sure it doesn't get locked. Thanks!

EDIT: Also, it's $30 in CAD, not in USD, so technically it's more like $24.38 in USD...

"Our imagination is stretched to the utmost, not, as in fiction, to imagine things which are not really there, but just to comprehend those things which are there."
Richard Feynman - The Character of Physical Law (1965)

April 5, 2009 1:25 am
btester92

btester92

Big Game Hunter

from USA
944 posts

simonandmartina wrote:

I had the same problem. Use an app uninstaller like AppZapper ($8) or AppCleaner (free) to delete the app, and then reinstall it. Works fine after that.

April 5, 2009 1:27 am
NSWMaps

NSWMaps

Automaton Tech

from San Antonio, Texas
213 posts

There are some serious crashing bugs and a problem where, when opening edit feeds, all feeds names and Icons disappear and are uneditable. I really hope the Dev fixes these bugs up, this one feels like a loot app right now.

April 5, 2009 1:34 am
simonandmartina

simonandmartina

Automaton Tech

from South Korea
429 posts

btester92 wrote:
simonandmartina wrote:

I had the same problem. Use an app uninstaller like AppZapper ($8) or AppCleaner (free) to delete the app, and then reinstall it. Works fine after that.

Actually, I uninstalled it with Appzapper.  I restarted the computer, then tried reinstalling Times.  That's the first screen I saw after the whole process. 

It can't even read its own default feeds!

Our ORANGE photo and movie blog in Bucheon, Korea: http://www.eatyourkimchi.com

April 5, 2009 1:46 am
JoelMarcey

JoelMarcey

Automaton Tech

from Northern California
168 posts

dmacdonald wrote:

Hey guys, sorry about the crashes - we're looking into it and will get a fix out ASAP.

jimhaw wrote:

MacHeist customers will receive everything a regular customer does, including free updates.

Awesome. Thanks for looking into the crashes. I am seeing them too. Especially when I import feeds from Safari and try to add an  imported feed into a page. Nonetheless, the program is very compelling.

And that is great that there are no restrictions. Thanks a lot for making it a part of the bundle.

Nice to see the dev of one of the apps participate actively on this forum.

If you are so inclined, you can follow me on Twitter

April 5, 2009 2:07 am
Lattan

Lattan

Tinkerer

41 posts

simonandmartina wrote:
btester92 wrote:
simonandmartina wrote:

Actually, I uninstalled it with Appzapper.  I restarted the computer, then tried reinstalling Times.  That's the first screen I saw after the whole process. 

It can't even read its own default feeds!

Just a thought, but there's a "Reset Times" item in the main menu. I suspect it may fix your issues.

April 5, 2009 2:14 am
bowlingb

bowlingb

Automaton Tech

from underneath your bed
206 posts

mike007 wrote:

I've been able to add several new pages.  Is "File > New Page" not working for you?

April 5, 2009 2:20 am
btester92

btester92

Big Game Hunter

from USA
944 posts

Lattan wrote:

Just a thought, but there's a "Reset Times" item in the main menu. I suspect it may fix your issues.

Good point. I bet that'll work, just click "reset to empty". I don't like resetting to defaults, it never works. Clean the whole thing out big_smile.

bowlingb wrote:

I've been able to add several new pages.  Is "File > New Page" not working for you?

Or you can press -Shift-N.

April 5, 2009 2:23 am
SpiceLMF

SpiceLMF

Tinkerer

from NY
14 posts

As others said, I can't seem to import from a opml file either.  I was going to add some of my feeds manually but as you need to put in the feed url for each (no search, which would be handy).  So I figure I'll wait to test this fully when I can import them in one fell swoop.

MacBook Pro 15' Unibody smile

http://www.macheist.com/bundle/u/297814/

April 5, 2009 2:25 am

hchen2940

Urchin

4 posts

There's also a problem with opening multi-page articles within Times. First, it loads it up in the browser instead of within Times, and second (at least for NYT), links to additional pages are all dead.

April 5, 2009 2:34 am

DittoBox

Gearhead

64 posts

Getting a crash when I try to add the Slashdot feed:
http://rss.slashdot.org/Slashdot/slashdot

Images aren't loading at BBC either.

Happiness is a loaded camera.

April 5, 2009 2:43 am
jbkyoyo

jbkyoyo

Tinkerer

35 posts

DittoBox wrote:

Getting a crash when I try to add the Slashdot feed:
http://rss.slashdot.org/Slashdot/slashdot

Images aren't loading at BBC either.

Slashdot is already a feed in the program. I don't know if you deleted it but it was a default feed.

April 5, 2009 2:49 am
hsbork

hsbork

Gearhead

from quaqua
66 posts

Wow, I am really excited about this app.  I have tried a number of other newsreaders in the past (NewsFire, NetNewsWire, Vienna, Google Reader) and I always disliked them for basically one reason: using the apps didn't really save me any time compared to reading the articles in a browser.  Tabbing through all the lists, etc. has always seemed wicked tedious to me.

I only read ~15 blogs/sites regularly, and so the interface metaphor on Times is perfect for my needs.  I really like having the option to read the article in a slider window (the page-curl effect is cute, but a little slow and useless).  I've been playing with this app for about an hour now, and right now it is (for me) one of the most exciting apps in the heist.  (I only bought the bundle for TheHitList and Acorn, so this app is a really nice bonus for me.) 

That said, there are some things that I think need real improvement:

-- the option to delete multiple feeds.  Being forced to manually click and remove every unwanted feed-tag is pretty lousy design, especially so since the app adds so many default feeds at startup.

-- keyboard navigation.  I understand that the design metaphor limits the amount of keyboard interactivity, but I think that when viewing a story in the 'expanded' view, I should have the ability to move to the next article in the list with just a keystroke or two.  Lacking this feature belies the app's claim towards ease of use and efficiency.  I think this goes for navigating articles on the 'shelf' as well-- why assign a hotkey to open the shelf, if I then have to use the mouse to select an item? 

-- UI bugs.  I've noticed several UI bugs, most notably the 'Show More' button text reverting to the generic 'Button' after I spend a bit of time going through feeds or adding more feeds to a page.  While not a big deal, this kind of makes the app look unfinished, and diminishes my overall confidence in it.

Overall, though, I love this app.  It may not be quite what a more hardcore user is looking for, but I can see myself using this quite a lot.

EDIT--  Hmm... one other thing I noticed that I don't like: according to LittleSnitch, the app contacts the dev's site on launch, despite having all the auto-update features turned off.  I'm not crazy about apps phoning home.

me iuvat in prima coluisse Helicona iuventa
Musarumque choris implicuisse manus

April 5, 2009 2:53 am
TheOneWG

TheOneWG

Urchin

from Germany
7 posts

Looks really nice. I have a few RSS-Feeds in Eventbox (not the MH-Version) but i will give Times a chance. Looks awesome! I hope this Bonus App will help us to get the 400.000 or even more. I really want espresso that bad.

April 5, 2009 3:02 am
btester92

btester92

Big Game Hunter

from USA
944 posts

Every second I use this app, I get more addicted. I read 40 something blogs, all of which update daily, more or less, so I go through about 150-200 posts a day. This is making reading the updated posts so much faster, and it looks a hell of a lot better than NetNewsWire.

April 5, 2009 3:08 am
MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ Times

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?