Forums

★ AppShelf

MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ AppShelf
waffles123

waffles123

Automaton Tech

166 posts

Whats the advantage of this over AllSecure?

I like waffles

April 8, 2009 1:09 pm
skellyfish

skellyfish

Urchin

6 posts

I've already spent hours building my own version of this kind of database in Bento...I'm gonna stick with that one, as beautiful as AppShelf is in comparison.

April 8, 2009 1:13 pm
dkoerner

dkoerner

Sky Pirate

from Good ol' Germany
1,165 posts

waffles123 wrote:

Whats the advantage of this over AllSecure?

if you double post you could at least change the wording a bit and not copy/paste..... http://www.macheist.com/forums/viewtopi … 24#p311324
I won't copy my answer here.... but it was something like AllSecure does a lot, AppShelf does one thing

German Mac Twittering | Dropbox - Free online storage
Green Monkeys, the only true monkeys

April 8, 2009 1:14 pm
jonvision

jonvision

Tinkerer

from Gothenburg, Sweden
36 posts

I opened the attachment window and just clicked attach, then chose the app and if I would like to copy or link to the app, I just linked it. Then the app icons showed up, and the launch button works smile

I ♥ CP
Taking back CP, which is one of the most missused expressions in Sweden.
Got no referalls, but since I got Deliscious Library I didn't need the Library pro so I'm happy smile

April 8, 2009 1:18 pm
jsm

jsm

Tinkerer

from Darkside of the Moon
43 posts

brettporter wrote:

Dumping the sqlite database to text is easy enough though for an infrequent task.

Could you elaborate a bit more on dumping the SQLite to text or an import/export friendly format? What tool could I use?

Thanks!

It's me!

April 8, 2009 1:51 pm
hamishmacdonald

hamishmacdonald

Tinkerer

from Wick, Scotland
41 posts

abjupa wrote:

Just a couple of days ago I copied and pasted all info from the reciept page into Wallet (from last year's loot) together with the loot licenses. But the import feature in AppShelf was cool, though.
But I think I'll stick to Wallet.

Ha! Yeah, I just did this yesterday, too. Then today I discover one MORE piece of free software from MacHeist!

I bought Wallet because of Times/MacHeist -- so there's an argument for this benefiting the developers. Wallet has come a long way from v2, which was buggy and difficult to enter notes into. Now it's easy and lovely, and... the iPhone client isn't available in the UK. Nooooo!

- Hamish MacDonald
http://www.hamishmacdonald.com

April 8, 2009 1:52 pm
gungadin

gungadin

Automaton Tech

from Around the Puget Sound
158 posts

mscheurer@mac.com wrote:

Adding the .appshelf file from my receipt gives me this entry:

"MacHeist-Serials.appshelf
Registered to you. You paid for it nothing"

Bit of an insult really.

I thought this would import all the licenses?

Might give it this one a miss, seems we're expected to use it in demo mode. Wish it would say that in the receipt entry.

sad

Oh Jeez, I am such a goofball newby but all you have to do is click the Download Receipt button on the top of your bundle receipt...You can still do this you know...

Get back on your hobby-horse not your hi-horse! Nyuk Nyuk.

Easy. Thanks MacHeist for something even I can do...!!!

"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning." Douglas Adams

April 8, 2009 1:58 pm
jonto

jonto

Tinkerer

from Denver, CO
19 posts

mattjngordon wrote:

Well, all that time I spent meticulously copying, pasting and formatting my license info into RTF files has been made redundant by this great app! Thanks guys!

Ditto on both counts. Thanks again.

April 8, 2009 2:17 pm
QTwG4

QTwG4

Urchin

5 posts

After clicking on the download button, I am getting a blank white page file for .appshelf. Does this file only work on Leopard? I am still on Tiger...... not for a really long time.... but I am still on it. Thanks!

"Do something every day that scares you."- Eleanor Roosevelt

April 8, 2009 2:49 pm
DeanoC

DeanoC

Urchin

from UK
3 posts

I had added a The Hit Task task to backup all my serials from Macheist to find out that Macheist also solved the problem, so ticked off the task. smile

April 8, 2009 2:56 pm
QTwG4

QTwG4

Urchin

5 posts

ooooppppssss...... had I just read one more post I would have found my answer! I got it and totally LOVE the fish bowl!! Thanks just the same! big_smile

"Do something every day that scares you."- Eleanor Roosevelt

April 8, 2009 3:09 pm

Arong92

Urchin

from Western Australia
1 posts

Very nice, neat and convenient app, thanks again MacHeist!
A few of my own imported application licenses icons didn't show, but after quitting and restarting appshelf, they all appeared.
One thing though, if i resize the window, or customize the toolbar, it resets itself back to normal when i restart the app...

None the less, great and useful!

April 8, 2009 3:23 pm
feedpuppy

feedpuppy

Big Game Hunter

from H town
710 posts

It's a nice little app. I agree that it will be nicer if it has the export function.

How do you say goodbye?

April 8, 2009 3:34 pm
vansouza

vansouza

Sky Pirate

from Las Vegas, USA Earth Milky Way
1,075 posts

Thank you very much for this final app.  Importing the bundle file was a snap even for me.  I will keep this for the bundle info but still use 1Password.  Thanks again.

www.usheroes.us Pray for Peace. Go Orange!

April 8, 2009 3:46 pm
kombat wombat

kombat wombat

Gearhead

from your face
92 posts

You know what'd make this app great? Another .appshelf file for all of our loot!

Please, Directorate?

Nice app though.

April 8, 2009 4:31 pm
frigginjoe

frigginjoe

Big Game Hunter

from Long Island
697 posts

kombat wombat.. holy crap at that name and the fact I didn't come up with it for me sad

http://www.twitter.com/frigginjoe
F everyone.  Scribbles is neat!

April 8, 2009 4:33 pm
thcannon

thcannon

Urchin

3 posts

kombat wombat wrote:

You know what'd make this app great? Another .appshelf file for all of our loot!

Please, Directorate?

Nice app though.

+1 please!!

April 8, 2009 4:35 pm
iliria

iliria

Automaton Tech

136 posts

A superb app. Thank you directorate. I imported the .appshelf file in it and it worked superbly.

I have one question though: How do i add serials of other apps (like Scribbles, Webbla etc from my loot) into Appshelf manually?

24" iMac, 2.8Ghz C2D, 2008, ATI 2600 Pro, 2GB DDR2, 320 GB.
iPhone 8GB / iPod Nano 3g 8GB / TimeCapsule 500GB

April 8, 2009 4:46 pm

chikles

Urchin

3 posts

Guess this only works with leopard,on tiger when you close and reopen heist list disappears:(

April 8, 2009 5:03 pm

chikles

Urchin

3 posts

Guess this only works with leopard,on tiger when you close and reopen heist list disappears:(

April 8, 2009 5:05 pm
Mrcheaps

Mrcheaps

Tinkerer

41 posts

chikles wrote:

Same problem here; even though AppShelf claimed to be successfully registered, the second time I opened it I was prompted to register again...and all of the bundle apps that had previously been there were gone. The developers said that it worked in 10.4 but that Leopard was "recommended." I guess that should be "very strongly recommended."

http://www.HopeNChangeCartoons.com

April 8, 2009 5:25 pm
pilotN46370

pilotN46370

Automaton Tech

from Kansas
148 posts

Just curious, but are there any programs that can add the license codes automatically?  I have several older apps, that I don't have the codes recorded for and it would be nice if I could put those into a file somehow.

Go Team Orange!

April 8, 2009 5:35 pm
gfoster

gfoster

Gearhead

from Concord, CA
78 posts

It's a nice app, but a little limited for me.  I got wallet from macheist last year and have been using it.  The version 3 (paid upgrade unfortunately) allows you to attach license files directly.

I find wallet a lot more suited to my workflow.  It allows me to keep serial numbers, web site passwords, CC#, etc etc all in one place and protected instead of just serial numbers.  I'll admit Appshelf sure is pretty though and I'll never look a gift horse in the mouth.  I'll probably gift it to a friend or something!

-- Gary F.

April 8, 2009 5:44 pm
missimona

missimona

Automaton Tech

from SoCal
229 posts

kombat wombat wrote:

Please, Directorate?

Nice app though.

+1

Need Space ? Get Dropbox https://www.getdropbox.com/link/21.PfXT7EaUHj  cool
Huge THANK YOU to the people who used my link

April 8, 2009 5:47 pm
bon3saw

bon3saw

Urchin

8 posts

Is this a full retail license, like as though it were part of the bundle?  Or a loot-style limited license where we'll have to pay to upgrade soon?  This is important information to know, especially because there seems to be no good export option and a proprietary database format.

April 8, 2009 6:13 pm
mbraun72

mbraun72

Urchin

7 posts

Unfortunately it seems to be bugged. Although i explicitely copy files into Appshelf many of them are only linked...

April 8, 2009 6:24 pm

KellanC

Urchin

4 posts

The "Import" command is under the File menu.

If App icons are missing after importing the file, they have probably not been installed. My missing icons showed up immediately after I installed the App they referred to.

You could also try adding the App with missing icon manually.

I've been storing license keys in 1Password... but I really like the ability to link or copy a license file (or other attachment) in AppShelf. That does give one way to save all those "ReadMe" and misc files that are sometimes on an installation .dmg file.

April 8, 2009 6:51 pm
mbraun72

mbraun72

Urchin

7 posts

I tried adding files to an existing application. What is wrong about using the attach button and selecting copy?

April 8, 2009 6:57 pm

hdort

Urchin

1 posts

I have no icons, and Launch won't work either. If I add Acorn.app manually, I get the icon for both entries, and launch works for both. If I remove it again, I have again no icons, and launch won't work. Any easy workaround for this?

April 8, 2009 6:59 pm
Maliphant

Maliphant

Urchin

3 posts

Okay, I've entered my serial number three times, the program opens, but has saved no changes (in this case, my MacHeist serials). What do I need to do?

April 8, 2009 7:33 pm

stepheng

Urchin

1 posts

Where do I find the licence file for the MH apps?  I can't see it on my receipt page, but perhaps its not obvious?

April 8, 2009 7:53 pm
WebKarnage

WebKarnage

Big Game Hunter

from UK
776 posts

The main issue I have, is that once there is an entry in the app, you are not allowed to edit the name!! The MacHeist file has Delicious Library as the name, without the 2 on the end. This not only isn't correct, it prevents the icon showing (correctly diagnosed in an earlier post).

I'm not complaining about the file given to us, but the fact it won't just let you edit the name!! What a simple solution that would be...

The Optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds, the Pessimist fears this is true.

April 8, 2009 7:55 pm
Secretagent1

Secretagent1

Automaton Tech

from Canada
400 posts

I don't know if this has already been asked/answered, but does Appshelf automatically register you for every single one of those apps if I dragged in that macheist serial file? Or does it just store them?

Team Green

April 8, 2009 7:55 pm
WebKarnage

WebKarnage

Big Game Hunter

from UK
776 posts

stepheng wrote:

Where do I find the licence file for the MH apps?  I can't see it on my receipt page, but perhaps its not obvious?

It is a link above those for all the apps. Download Your Appshelf File or something similar.

@Secretagent1

I believe it just stores them.

with best regards,
Karn.

The Optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds, the Pessimist fears this is true.

April 8, 2009 7:59 pm
Maliphant

Maliphant

Urchin

3 posts

Has anyone else had this problem with registration? I register the program, quit, open it again... and it wants me to register again. And none of the imported apps are there. I have to start all over again. :-/

April 8, 2009 8:30 pm
srt8ya

srt8ya

Tinkerer

14 posts

Looks like a great app, but definitely requires an update to be of any use to me. I posted on their blog post since they don't seem to have a forum. We'll see...

http://www.kedisoft.com/blog/2009/04/im … comment-11

mmHmm

April 8, 2009 8:31 pm

medphoto10

Urchin

1 posts

I can't see any way to add a database password

Furthermore, in my appshelf file, it is looking for a 'delicious library.app' whereas mine is called 'delicious library 2.app', hence the launch from within appshelf doesn't work, and i cannot edit the app name field in appshelf

i have updated to the latest version 1.3

April 8, 2009 11:47 pm

woodjosiah

Urchin

from Nebraska
8 posts

Sulcalibur wrote:
ddemeo wrote:
futureblues wrote:

Most importantly, why is the icon for AppShelf a fishbowl ?

An excellent question!

This is just what I was going to ask.

My only guess would be that a fishbowl is often put on a shelf (AppSHELF)...

any other ideas on the icon?

April 9, 2009 12:09 am
mosaik

mosaik

Tinkerer

from Australia
12 posts

I'm not having any of the problems listed above but then I downloaded the trial version of AppShelf 10 days ago and put all the info into it manually as I didn't have any software to store it in. I figured I would buy AppShelf when the trial was up which, luckily, was today - just when I discovered it in my Bundle! Great timing!!

I started up the expired AppShelf trial, installed the update and then entered my license number with no problems. Everything is still there, all the icons and the app names are correct including Delicious Library 2 because I had entered it in manually. Perhaps there is a problem with the import file provided? Have people tried entering things manually, or is this too time consuming for some? Luckily I did it over a few days as I installed each app.

Thanks MacHeist for saving me another lot of money - you seem to be reading my mind!!

Green, green is my team... goooo Green!

April 9, 2009 12:12 am
vennt

vennt

Urchin

from Los Angeles
4 posts

App definitely needs work.

1. Export database
2. Icons don't appear if app is not installed - why not just a red or green icon (somewhere) to let us know if it is installed, and save the app icon - who likes looking at a bunch of blank document icons that are supposed to be pretty app icons?

我是火星人

April 9, 2009 12:31 am

hyteckit

Tinkerer

24 posts

I was trying to figure out why I don't have icons for half the apps.  I then realize the ones that I don't have icons for are the applications I've never downloaded and installed.

Seems to only have icons for applications you've installed.

April 9, 2009 1:15 am

irvcaste@mac.com

Urchin

1 posts

Thanks for the extra App Shelf This is just what I needed!

Who rocks the party

April 9, 2009 2:56 am
Dr. Nuke

Dr. Nuke

Gearhead

from IL
58 posts

I agree that it could use some tweaking: It would be nice to put a red dot or something for an application not yet installed.

Regarding the "Export" request, a temporary work-around (though far from elegant, I admit) is to just Save your session and look at the .db file in your ~/Library/Application Support/AppShelf directory.  It is (mostly) human-readable.

My Delicious Library 2 from importing the auto-generated MH license file worked just fine.

Also, the upgrade to version 1.3 seemed to proceed without a hitch, although I made doubly-sure that I had svaed the database before doing the upgrade.  Maybe that is another glitch in the program...that it should save changes before doing an automatic upgrade or quitting.

Anyway, I have no complaints about this FREE bonus.

Cheers, folks!

▛▞▞▟Proud Member of the BLUE team▛▞▞▟
I

April 9, 2009 3:29 am

Alahmnat

Urchin

4 posts

WebKarnage wrote:
stepheng wrote:

It is a link above those for all the apps. Download Your Appshelf File or something similar.

Add me to the list of people who has poured over his latest e-mailed receipt as well as the receipt on the MacHeist website, and can't find a single reference to downloading an AppShelf file with my licenses in it. Help?

April 9, 2009 5:59 am
WebKarnage

WebKarnage

Big Game Hunter

from UK
776 posts

For those who can't see where to get their AppShelf file
http://www.quicksnapper.com/files/245/78053782849DDAC11AB9E5_m.png

April 9, 2009 8:06 am
aaroncp

aaroncp

Automaton Tech

279 posts

I don't see how this program keeps your registration info safe if it can't be exported to an all-in-one file that can be backed up somewhere.

MacHeist: THANK YOU FOR USING MY LINK!
DropBox: https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTcxNjA5

Thank you for using my referral links!

April 9, 2009 2:35 pm

Alahmnat

Urchin

4 posts

WebKarnage wrote:

If that's the screen you're supposed to see when you click "Order Lookup" on the MacHeist homepage, it looks like I've got another email to send to sales, 'cause I get a lookup error when I go there. Thanks for the screenshot though, it helped smile.

April 9, 2009 3:16 pm
WebKarnage

WebKarnage

Big Game Hunter

from UK
776 posts

Alahmnat wrote:
WebKarnage wrote:

If that's the screen you're supposed to see when you click "Order Lookup" on the MacHeist homepage, it looks like I've got another email to send to sales, 'cause I get a lookup error when I go there. Thanks for the screenshot though, it helped smile.

That's exactly what it is, and that explains why you didn't see it!! I'm sure it'll be sorted for you.

April 9, 2009 4:18 pm
tumuchtime

tumuchtime

Automaton Tech

from the OC
438 posts

Thanks.  At first I just could not make this app work, of course it was a user problem with me being the user.  After reading the posts here I decided to give it another go.  Works like a charm and I have no idea what I did before.

I think the problem for me was I downloaded the backup file before I downloaded the actual AppShelf software.  Duh!

Thanks MacHeist for this, it is the easiest way to keep a record of the greatest MacHeist yet.  You know we will all expect another backup file for the next MacHeist, right? wink

???? Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ????

April 9, 2009 6:58 pm
ischeriad

ischeriad

Tinkerer

from Germany
25 posts

woodjosiah wrote:
Sulcalibur wrote:
ddemeo wrote:

An excellent question!

This is just what I was going to ask.

My only guess would be that a fishbowl is often put on a shelf (AppSHELF)...

any other ideas on the icon?

Main Entry: shelf
Pronunciation: \ˈshelf\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural shelves \ˈshelvz\
Etymology: Middle English, probably from Old English scylfe; akin to Old Norse hlīthskjalf Odin's seat
Date: 14th century

1 a: a thin flat usually long and narrow piece of material (as wood) fastened horizontally (as on a wall) at a distance from the floor to hold objects b: one of several similar pieces in a closet, bookcase, or similar structure c: the contents of a shelf <the author of a shelf of best sellers>

2: something resembling a shelf in form or position: as a: a sandbank or ledge of rocks usually partially submerged b: a flat projecting layer of rock c: the submerged gradually sloping border of a continent or island : continental shelf

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/shelf

That would be my guess.

April 9, 2009 7:34 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ AppShelf

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?