Forums

The Mac Bundles - Thoughts?

MacHeist Forums » The Lounge » The Mac Bundles - Thoughts?
MintCreation

MintCreation

Sky Pirate

from Daddy Heaven :D
1,478 posts

A couple of great programs over at TheMacBundles...
But also some meh stuff.

I am not an agent in real life, only on weekends!

June 1, 2009 7:10 am
zdlo

zdlo

Automaton Tech

from San Francisco
258 posts

A few minutes ago, the page refreshed itself and revealed the details about the bundle.

Cover Stream ($21)
Default Folder X ($34.95)
DragThing ($29)
Graphic Converter ($34.95)
HoudahSpot ($25)
iPrint ($14.95)
Mariner Write ($49.95)
Spell Catcher X ($39.95)

$49.95... First 2000 will also receive Baseline ($20).

Well... I don't think there'll be much interest, but still... Maybe we'll feel good about not buying every bundle!

Join Dropbox free with this link, and earn 500 MB bonus space to your 2 GB free limit!

June 1, 2009 7:12 am
izdale

izdale

Sky Pirate

from the U.S.
1,769 posts

Yep, I'm passing on this one.  I've already got better apps that do most of those things.

Doesn't look like you can gift individual apps on this one either...

Find deals on Mac apps at Mac App Deals

June 1, 2009 7:18 am
stjg

stjg

Big Game Hunter

from Here
581 posts

Cool. A bundle I am not tempted to buy. That saves me some money.

Do something healthy.
Stop eating too many Oranges!

June 1, 2009 7:44 am
Sulcalibur

Sulcalibur

Automaton Tech

from London, United Kingdom
367 posts

It looks a bit poop really. Although it does say 'THE FIRST BUNDLE IS HERE!' at the top so maybe some decent bundles will soon appear. I would recommend they make a decent site though. The whole thing looks 'cheap'.

You should Follow me at - Sulcalibur cool
You know it makes sense wink

June 1, 2009 7:51 am
hoyaman

hoyaman

Big Game Hunter

from Houston, TX
940 posts

Hmm.. may actually have the most appeal so far.. Default FolderX, DragThing, BaseLine, and what's surprising to me - iPrint!

I'll sleep on it, and possibly buy in tomorrow If I get a chance to est these apps.

HoudahSpot and GraphicConverter X are stand-out apps I use regularly already.

Mozy - backup to the cloud, restore when your computer bites the dust.
BBCODE snippets for TYPINATOR!
DROPBOX: GET 250MB extra FREE!

June 1, 2009 7:52 am
MintCreation

MintCreation

Sky Pirate

from Daddy Heaven :D
1,478 posts

I am really interested in SpellCatcher but I have yet to figure out if it can change language by it's own or if I need to tell it? It actually looks like I will have to do that manually, but even MS Word knows how to detect the language you're typing and change spelling dictionary.

I actually like Coverstream as well...

HoudaSpot and Iprint sounds good too, but I will have to try 'em out.

I am not an agent in real life, only on weekends!

June 1, 2009 7:56 am
kcii72

kcii72

Automaton Tech

from US, Earth
119 posts

I wrote to ask about gifting licenses or which developers would be willing to transfer if they don't have a gift option.  I would be able to pass except Default Folder X!
If I do this would anyone want:

Spell Catcher X
Mariner Write
Cover Stream
GraphicConverter

waiting for the sheep revolution

June 1, 2009 8:08 am
mtaylor

mtaylor

Big Game Hunter

755 posts

Yikes.  Good luck in this saturated market!  [s]20k[/s] 2k bundles is quite an optimistic milestone for a first time promotion with "No Hype".  I'm in a sarcastic mood, so I'll point out that a bundle promotion is the very definition of a "Middle Man" that their slogan decries as being not involved.  Good luck just the same.  Anyone had experience with Mariner Write?

EDIT: Is that the mac giving tree growing on their site?
EDIT 2:  I misread. 2k bundles, not 20k.  Still, good luck!

In communist russia, the normal force pushes on you!

June 1, 2009 8:16 am
johnred

johnred

Directorate

1,869 posts

"No Hype, No Games, No Middlemen..."

They also forgot the "No Sales" part. One of these developers was actually presented with the opportunity to be included in MacHeist 3 but they declined. I didn't get their reasoning at the time and they'll clearly make a miniscule fraction of what they'll make in this bundle. So be it, though... we ended-up with a far superior app in our bundle anyway.

The other thing that's insane is all of these sales and bundles happening at the same time and they've all been pretty underwhelming as a result of all the competition (and the poor economy)... Panic, MUPromo, and now this. Next we'll see Christian Owens and maybe even Mark Howsen popping out of the woodwork to get a few crumbs.

Timing is pretty critical with these promotions.

John Casasanta
MacHeist Director
tap tap tap chief

June 1, 2009 9:32 am
johnred

johnred

Directorate

1,869 posts

Oh, and from their site:

But one thing most of these bundles have in common is that the developers of the software receive only a small -- often a very small -- percentage of the sales proceeds generated by the bundle-most of the revenue is kept by the marketing companies/the middlemen.

Um, this is pure bullshit if they're trying to imply that we're not fair to the developers that take part in our bundles. This has ben refuted many times over by actual participants and it's actually pretty scummy and simply FUD to try to get you to buy their stuff based on this premise.

As much as I feel like a competitor to MUPromo, if you feel $50 burning a hole in your wallet and you're planning to buy one of either the current MUPromo bundle or this TheMacBundles thing, I'd say put your money into MUPromo because theirs is being run much more respectably and is a much better bundle anyway.

And don't even get me started on the "filler" thing they they talk about.

John Casasanta
MacHeist Director
tap tap tap chief

June 1, 2009 9:43 am
daba

daba

Big Game Hunter

from New Zealand
640 posts

^^ Wow!!! you've risen from the dead! you haven't posted for months!

“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.” — Arthur C. Clarke. Sharing large files and backing them up using Dropbox is just like magic, and you can get 2.5 GB of free storage when you sign up for Dropbox with this link.

June 1, 2009 9:45 am
tmilovan

tmilovan

Automaton Tech

from Old World
121 posts

johnred wrote:

Next we'll see Christian Owens and maybe even Mark Howsen popping out of the woodwork to get a few crumbs.

Well, their company homepage certainly looks like one of Howson's works: http://www.macease.com/ smile))). Also look at the tree in the upper left corner... so blatant Givingtreee ripoff sad((...

▛▞▞▟ http://www.mackorisnik.com ▙▚▚▜

June 1, 2009 9:54 am
johnred

johnred

Directorate

1,869 posts

daba wrote:

Sorry for the absence (more like a couple of weeks, not months). We've been hard at work on a bunch of new things that our members will probably be interested in when they come out.

And our goal is to finally get the points stuff all finalized this week. You'll likey (especially where you're on the #1 team)... wink

John Casasanta
MacHeist Director
tap tap tap chief

June 1, 2009 10:01 am
Richard Hallas

Richard Hallas

Automaton Tech

from Huddersfield, UK
250 posts

johnred wrote:

And our goal is to finally get the points stuff all finalized this week. You'll likey (especially where you're on the #1 team)... wink

Hm!

And what about when you're a member of the good old purple team, which has been consistently at the bottom of the ratings for virtually the whole time, despite being a bunch of thoroughly good eggs?

I hope we'll get some sort of consolation prize for our pains. wink

Cheers!
Born to the Purple

June 1, 2009 10:24 am
markrof

markrof

Automaton Tech

from UK
433 posts

johnred wrote:
daba wrote:

Sorry for the absence (more like a couple of weeks, not months). We've been hard at work on a bunch of new things that our members will probably be interested in when they come out.

Talk about keeping the suspense going!!!!

I hope this is good as I have been waiting for the conclusion. (Yeh I know I am addicted...need to attend MHA (MacHeist Anonymous)

Have a nice day

June 1, 2009 10:28 am
lambolover242

lambolover242

Sky Pirate

from 0800-00
1,068 posts

Anyway... back to the bundle... (BTW.. Good to see you back @johnred)

This is feeling about it...

Cover Stream - Already got both CoverSutra, and Bowtie...

Default Folder X - Already Got it, and it worth it!!

DragThing - Had it for ages... don't use it unfortunatly...

Graphic Converter - Got Both Pixelmator and Acorn (Thanks MacHeist for both!!) so that can't compare!!

HoudahSpot - Looks nice... but I have Fresh for the new files that I might want to look at... and also, I have Spotlight!!

iPrint - Don't think it works/I don't require it... I have common sense...

Mariner Write - You serious... I have a permenant grudge against anything Mariner ATM...

Spell Catcher X - Looks interesting... might check that out on its own..

Baseline- Got DaisyDisk and Sponge... this is no use to me...

Yay!! No killer app for once!!

Is this really worth the trouble.

June 1, 2009 12:34 pm
tech

tech

Sky Pirate

from Rantoul, Illinois
1,516 posts

One word...notinterested. wink

<insert out-dated referral link here>

June 1, 2009 1:11 pm
jdhoss

jdhoss

Big Game Hunter

from Minnesota
963 posts

It's a pretty weak bundle, especially  when it's up against a MacUpdate Bundle running during the same period.

One a side note: This guy really needs some help with the design part of his sites.

Action may not always bring happiness; but there is no happiness without action. - Benjamin Disraeli
BundleSite.com
Twitter
JD's Complete MacHeist Desktop Wallpaper Collection

June 1, 2009 1:13 pm
Dewtain

Dewtain

Big Game Hunter

from The Netherlands
517 posts

I bought the MH and MU bundle. This one looks nice, but... I'm not sure. Some apps sure, perhaps. But not really.

But it's their first time, it might grow at developers get to know them. We'll have to wait and see.

I wonder which team I'm on...
Oh, I'm on the blue team smile.

June 1, 2009 1:15 pm
newsdork

newsdork

Sky Pirate

from Tennessee
1,477 posts

No Hype, No Games, No Middlemen...
Just GREAT Software at a GREAT Price™

Also, No Fun, No Community, No Enjoyment, and No Anticipation. Yay!! I'm sold!!

/sarcasm

Sometimes I feel so blue
It makes me twitter.

June 1, 2009 1:17 pm

ayodh14

Automaton Tech

105 posts

The only thing I would like from the bundle is DragThing. Rest everything, already have substitutes for.

June 1, 2009 1:21 pm
Chriswan

Chriswan

Sky Pirate

from Jakarta, Indonesia
1,194 posts

I'm very surprised to see DragThing included in a bundle, last time I heard from the dev, he was not interested in bundles

Thanks a Lot

June 1, 2009 1:31 pm
bdegrande

bdegrande

Sky Pirate

from Hoboken, NJ
1,241 posts

I did buy the MUPromo bundle and consider it money well spent. I have very little interest in this. I have Default Folder X, which I like, and Graphic Converter, which I use occasionally, and the rest isn't useful enough to justify the expense.

Welcome back, John.

Winning team, huh?  So I guess my "top 10 win a date with Sophia" dream is out the window.

If you are a Dexter fan, check out The Dexter Cast podcast - iTunes  or www.thedextercast.com
Dropbox referral - We each get an extra 500MB

June 1, 2009 1:59 pm
DerBoss

DerBoss

Sky Pirate

from Germany
1,067 posts

nothing I'm interested in or perhaps a bit in dragthing. but not gonna buy this one, saving all my money for eastwest "buy one - get on free" promotion.

Click here to get Dropbox Storage for free + additional 250 MB

June 1, 2009 1:59 pm
Chriswan

Chriswan

Sky Pirate

from Jakarta, Indonesia
1,194 posts

Also no filler? A half-assed like iPrint is not a filler?

Thanks a Lot

June 1, 2009 2:43 pm
dsw1958

dsw1958

Big Game Hunter

856 posts

hmm, pretty boring.  The only things with some appeal for me are Default Folder X, SpellCatcher, and iPrint but still nothing pops out as a must have and I will be passing on this one.

Winning team... what about the team who held the lead the longest wink

June 1, 2009 2:46 pm
Miah

Miah

3,692 posts

lambolover242 wrote:

Mariner Write - You serious... I have a permenant grudge against anything Mariner ATM...

Now you have me wondering. Please, go on smile

䷟䷽䷏䷁ — Dying of the Light.

June 1, 2009 2:47 pm
mtaylor

mtaylor

Big Game Hunter

755 posts

@ Johnred

POINTS!

I just noticed that the directorate avatars have points as well... Blue will likely offer amnesty to any Directorate personnel willing to defect. 

also, welcome back.

In communist russia, the normal force pushes on you!

June 1, 2009 2:52 pm
Miah

Miah

3,692 posts

bdegrande wrote:

Winning team, huh?  So I guess my "top 10 win a date with Sophia" dream is out the window.

Though he did say "especially", so there might be something for those hard-hitters too.

䷟䷽䷏䷁ — Dying of the Light.

June 1, 2009 2:59 pm
JackV

JackV

Sky Pirate

from Germany
1,072 posts

Chriswan wrote:

Also no filler? A half-assed like iPrint is not a filler?

actually iprint adds a function that all PC-Switchers miss badly: The printing of selected text.

I write about Juice on Entsafter.co

June 1, 2009 3:19 pm
andys53

andys53

Sky Pirate

from a frog flu resistant land.
1,904 posts

bdegrande wrote:

I did buy the MUPromo bundle and consider it money well spent. I have very little interest in this. I have Default Folder X, which I like, and Graphic Converter, which I use occasionally, and the rest isn't useful enough to justify the expense.

Welcome back, John.

You get a date with Phill Ryu?  tongue

smile From a spam free, orange team, land smile

June 1, 2009 3:21 pm
j3snyder

j3snyder

Big Game Hunter

from Yerington, NV
978 posts

Miah wrote:
lambolover242 wrote:

Now you have me wondering. Please, go on smile

I hate those permanent grudges at the moment.  smile

Referrals for your consideration:
Dropbox:  https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE1N … src=global

June 1, 2009 3:30 pm
mil

mil

Sky Pirate

1,273 posts

I'm suffering from bundle fatigue for quite sometime now. The only one that might've interested me would've been Default Folder X, but I bought it in a MacZot sale sometime ago. The DFX dev is not very responsive though.

As for poiii...what??? Who the hell wants to bother about points now? When the flock has already fled and only a handful of people come here, why dig up things that ought to be six feet under forever? smile

SpiderOak - get an additional 1GB space for free when you sign up from this link. I'm late to the SpiderOak referral party. big_smile

June 1, 2009 3:31 pm
blue_fireball_eater

blue_fireball_eater

from Nashville
2,765 posts

MacHeist Loot >> The Mac Bundles

avatar is from Penfield & Jasper, 1954

June 1, 2009 3:35 pm
dkoerner

dkoerner

Sky Pirate

from Good ol' Germany
1,165 posts

wow, this really is a not-knocking-me-off-my-socks deal.... at least I knew the Folder X thing, which I read good about. well, passing on

@DerBoss: What is eastwest?

German Mac Twittering | Dropbox - Free online storage
Green Monkeys, the only true monkeys

June 1, 2009 3:40 pm
frigginjoe

frigginjoe

Big Game Hunter

from Long Island
697 posts

The Mac Bundles is not really up to par with MH or even mupromo, both of which had the killer apps included that draw people in.  I can't see it doing very well.  It's really a collection of little-known apps people would't think of without the benefit of the big one in there.

http://www.twitter.com/frigginjoe
F everyone.  Scribbles is neat!

June 1, 2009 3:40 pm
pangis

pangis

Automaton Tech

135 posts

blue_fireball_eater wrote:

MacHeist Loot >> The Mac Bundles

To be fair, Default Folder X >> than anything in the MH loot.  The rest of the bundle may be somewhat lacking, but DFX is a top notch app.

A minor quibble with TMB: how do you offer bonus apps for a certain number of purchasers, but then not post a running counter of how many bundles have been purchased?  I can understand WHY they don't have a counter (a new site doesn't want to show potentially low bundle sales figures) but if you're limiting the offer to a certain number of buyers you MUST provide those with interest an idea of how close they are to the expiration of that offer.

June 1, 2009 3:44 pm
dsw1958

dsw1958

Big Game Hunter

856 posts

I just ran across this little article on the "Fair to all" new software bundle (TheMacBundles)

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/25259/1151/

June 1, 2009 3:48 pm
denny_crane

denny_crane

Sky Pirate

from Canada, eh?
1,702 posts

I'm just not feeling motivated on this one. I must admit, I'm beginning
to feel a little bundled-out. I think part of this is due to the pre-hype
on these sort of things.

I guess I shouldn't drop any hints on a Denny Crane bundle. If there was
one, of course I would use the tagline...

"Buy my bundle and all of your wildest dreams will come true."

Use Denny's DropBox Link > CLICK HERE! Because I need extra some space - The Final Frontier!

June 1, 2009 3:55 pm
mjweb

mjweb

Sky Pirate

from coast2coast
2,343 posts

johnred wrote:

I thought the "points stuff" was a swatch test to determine what color goes best with gray and black?

www.mjweber.com | Flickr

June 1, 2009 3:56 pm
izdale

izdale

Sky Pirate

from the U.S.
1,769 posts

johnred wrote:

Maybe you are buying The Mac Bundles for everyone on the winning team.  It might be the only way sales go over 2,000 lol

Find deals on Mac apps at Mac App Deals

June 1, 2009 4:10 pm
kongobongo

kongobongo

Automaton Tech

443 posts

Mariner Write would be fun to try... but the bundle appears a bit weak to me.

Plastic Fish Never Die

June 1, 2009 4:14 pm
andys53

andys53

Sky Pirate

from a frog flu resistant land.
1,904 posts

izdale wrote:
johnred wrote:

Maybe you are buying The Mac Bundles for everyone on the winning team.  It might be the only way sales go over 2,000 lol

In which case I'm OK with coming 2nd.  tongue

smile From a spam free, orange team, land smile

June 1, 2009 4:15 pm
BrightHalo

BrightHalo

Tinkerer

34 posts

pangis wrote:

A minor quibble with TMB: how do you offer bonus apps for a certain number of purchasers, but then not post a running counter of how many bundles have been purchased?  I can understand WHY they don't have a counter (a new site doesn't want to show potentially low bundle sales figures) but if you're limiting the offer to a certain number of buyers you MUST provide those with interest an idea of how close they are to the expiration of that offer.

If you click the Buy button you can see "TheMacBundles #1 (with BONUS app!)" so I assume the bonus app is still available.

June 1, 2009 4:21 pm
phillryu

phillryu

Administrator

1,569 posts

This would've been an amazing bundle in 2002. (I don't mean that totally facetiously, I bought 3 of those apps in 2002.)

Co-Creator of MacHeist, Clear, Partner at tap tap tap | follow me on twitter

June 1, 2009 4:23 pm
pangis

pangis

Automaton Tech

135 posts

BrightHalo wrote:

If you click the Buy button you can see "TheMacBundles #1 (with BONUS app!)" so I assume the bonus app is still available.

I think you misunderstood.  I wasn't asking whether the bonus app is still available, merely pointing out that there is no way (certainly no easy way) to establish how much longer a prospective purchaser has before the threshold number is reached.  While the Buy Button may help point out that a prospective buyer can still get it with their order, who is going to look for it that way?  Most people will click onto the site, look at the apps and any other info on the home page, and either buy or move on.

June 1, 2009 6:07 pm
gemmes

gemmes

Big Game Hunter

665 posts

I will not be buying, all filler apps imo but I still hope they have some success and sell some better apps next time.

@points woot maybe we'll know something soon.

FREE Dropbox Storage Use link for EXTRA space for you and me. big_smile
15.4" 2.5GHz 4GB MacBook Pro, 32GB iPhone 3GS

June 1, 2009 6:31 pm
frigginjoe

frigginjoe

Big Game Hunter

from Long Island
697 posts

OneOrangeNote couldn't even make it into this bundle?
sad

Remember that, lol.

http://www.twitter.com/frigginjoe
F everyone.  Scribbles is neat!

June 1, 2009 6:38 pm
BigMark

BigMark

Sky Pirate

from Kent, UK.
1,546 posts

Typically I'll buy a bundle if there's something there I would have bought anyway, but nothing to tempt me in the MacBundles.com offering.

I'm still enjoying my MacHeist apps and Loot, John wasn't wrong when he said that the loot in MH3 would beat some bundles.

I did buy Unison & Transmit from Panic, I wanted a nicer FTP client and from what I read Unison is the best news reader on the Mac (but it turns out I don't have an NNTP account now I've switched ISP sad).

bdegrande wrote:

I did buy the MUPromo bundle and consider it money well spent.

I also bought the MU Spring Promo:-

Paperless looked to be a good potential solution for me in my quest to keep all my work documents organised.
Moneywell seems to be a good home budgeting app with good reviews
TechTool Pro 5 would be a nice addition to my toolkit
Betterzip allows me to read encrypted zips from work and write them too
NetBarrierX is worth checking out in my quest for more flexible yet robust firewalling
Circus Ponies Notebook 3 I have this but the new licence will be installed on a 2nd Mac for my Wife
Parallels4 will be installed on a 2nd Mac too
[b]DVDRemaster Pro & Ripit
look to be good solid apps

Totally worth the money to me and I have still to check out:-
CuteClips
Multiplex (Though I suspect Plex will be better)
Posterino
Voila
Jets'n'Guns

All in a very worthwhile purchase, nothing like the value I've had from Macheist but money well spent never the less smile

Mark.

June 1, 2009 6:46 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Lounge » The Mac Bundles - Thoughts?

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?