Forums

★ DaisyDisk (Early Warning System)

MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ DaisyDisk (Early Warning System)
rampancy

rampancy

from Denial.
3,889 posts

Post your thoughts and comments about the latest loot app from the Early Warning System here. Remember, troubleshooting requests go in the other thread in the support forum.

Marathon Forever.
AppShelf: MacHeist 3 Loot
AppShelf: nanoBundle 1
Check Reciept Page for nanoBundle 2 AppShelf Files.

October 31, 2009 4:33 am
izdale

izdale

Sky Pirate

from the U.S.
1,766 posts

Great, another app that's scheduled for paid update in the near future. Owning this 2 weeks ago and you would have a free upgrade, but not after Oct. 16, definitely planned timing.  But still, it's FREE and I get that smile It runs really smooth, I am a fan already big_smile

Find deals on Mac apps at Mac App Deals

October 31, 2009 4:38 am
rampancy

rampancy

from Denial.
3,889 posts

Do you know how much the upgrade will be, or if we'll have a discount? I have to admit, DaisyDisk is a slick app (the Disco of disk space management apps?).

Marathon Forever.
AppShelf: MacHeist 3 Loot
AppShelf: nanoBundle 1
Check Reciept Page for nanoBundle 2 AppShelf Files.

October 31, 2009 4:55 am
atm153

atm153

Automaton Tech

from Lincoln, NE
140 posts

I really like the interface, especially the way it lets you dig down through the pie.
In an attempt to start a trend, I'm going to post my graph.

http://img266.yfrog.com/img266/7508/screenshot20091030at115.png

Go Green Monkeys!
Dropbox Referral Link

October 31, 2009 5:02 am
izdale

izdale

Sky Pirate

from the U.S.
1,766 posts

rampancy wrote:

Do you know how much the upgrade will be, or if we'll have a discount? I have to admit, DaisyDisk is a slick app (the Disco of disk space management apps?).

No idea on how much or when. I just know that they did a sale a few weeks ago:
“Buy DaisyDisk before october 16th, and get a free upgrade to version 2.x. If you buy DaisyDisk after october 16th, you’ll be entitled for a discounted upgrade.”
Unless this is a version restricted license, then I'm guessing we would get the discounted upgrade. But I'm not sure.

Find deals on Mac apps at Mac App Deals

October 31, 2009 5:06 am
kaptinfly

kaptinfly

Automaton Tech

from Spearfish, SD
157 posts

My registration code is not working any suggestions?

Follow me and I'll follow you back! http://twitter.com/kaptinfly

October 31, 2009 5:15 am
imfrog2002

imfrog2002

Automaton Tech

from Mesa, AZ
203 posts

@kaptinfly Use only your first name. That's what I did and it went through fine.

MacHeist 4
Bring it on.

October 31, 2009 5:17 am
kaptinfly

kaptinfly

Automaton Tech

from Spearfish, SD
157 posts

@imfrog2002 thanks it worked after i removed the capitalization

Follow me and I'll follow you back! http://twitter.com/kaptinfly

October 31, 2009 5:21 am
chrischasecranecook

chrischasecranecook

Sky Pirate

from Shreveport, Louisiana
1,123 posts

Am I missing something… there doesn't seem to be much documentation on the app.

Laissez les bon temps roulez!

October 31, 2009 5:30 am
surfpcb

surfpcb

Urchin

5 posts

Yeah, when activating your Daisy Disk be sure to use the EXACT name thats on your MacHeist Account.
Took me a couple of trys.....

October 31, 2009 5:33 am
phillryu

phillryu

Administrator

1,569 posts

kaptinfly wrote:

@imfrog2002 thanks it worked after i removed the capitalization

Your licenses are generated based on your real name entered into your account profile, and if that's blank, your username. It can get a little confusing though, so we're trying to figure out a nice way to fix this.

Co-Creator of MacHeist, Clear, Partner at tap tap tap | follow me on twitter

October 31, 2009 5:36 am
diana

diana

Tinkerer

from Bay Area, CA
13 posts

very cool, I just ran Daisy Disk and found a /55GB/ deleted user I forgot about, over a year ago!! Thanks!

Go Orange Team!

October 31, 2009 5:53 am
jfm429

jfm429

Sky Pirate

from Behind You
2,196 posts

Very cool.  I've used Omni Disk Sweeper and Disk Inventory X, but this app is just fun and intuitive to use.  I've already discovered some stuff I missed with the other systems.  It's lacking functionality like Omni's delete function (that deletes right from within the app and recalculates the sizes immediately) and I'd really like to be able to recalculate just what needs to be after deleting something, but overall this is a really nice app.

Also, here's my screenshot.  I like the idea of starting a trend.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/ember/60CIWBHzZXAPvje8EkdxOTI92PWSFtjx_o.png

NovaStorm Software || @NovaStormSW || @jfm429 || Dropbox + Extra Storage

"I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not have C++ in mind."
- Alan Kay, inventor of Object-Oriented programming

October 31, 2009 6:03 am
rjashton

rjashton

Tinkerer

from UK
21 posts

Seems to slow my whole system down somewhat... Just me?

Orange is the happiest color.” - Frank Sinatra

Flickr | Twitter

October 31, 2009 6:18 am
sacrat

sacrat

Developer

from Russia
76 posts

Greetings, fellows.

I'm a member of DaisyDisk Team, so you may refer any questions to me in this topic.

Registration name is case-sensitive, so the best idea might be just copy-pasting it into a registration dialog.

Any owners of 1.x license will be able to upgrade to DaisyDisk 2 with a discounted price.

DaisyDisk 2 is planned to be released in 2010 (lots of work to finish and much more things to test). Before that we plan to release several updates to 1.x

DaisyDisk Team member

October 31, 2009 6:30 am
phillryu

phillryu

Administrator

1,569 posts

Just upgraded your title to "Developer" sacrat. Thanks for joining in the discussion!

October 31, 2009 6:55 am
andys53

andys53

Sky Pirate

from a frog flu resistant land.
1,904 posts

And thanks for my free copy.    smile

smile From a spam free, orange team, land smile

October 31, 2009 8:15 am
DrakasX

DrakasX

Big Game Hunter

from USA
861 posts

I like that it's free, but i'm not sure as to what it's good for.

iMac 12,1 | iPhone 4S | iPad3 | Twitter | Playstation Network ID

October 31, 2009 8:23 am
andys53

andys53

Sky Pirate

from a frog flu resistant land.
1,904 posts

DrakasX wrote:

It lets you see in detail what's on your hard drive, then you can choose what to do with the things that are there.

smile From a spam free, orange team, land smile

October 31, 2009 8:38 am
lotrtelcontar

lotrtelcontar

Tinkerer

11 posts

Really love this program! Really snappy interface and it's FAST. I opened it and within 5min I found a 54gb video project on my main hard drive that DID NOT need to be there. I probably would not have found that file for a long time without DaisyDisk.

October 31, 2009 8:44 am

aadsm

Urchin

from Oslo
2 posts

Hi!

Thank you very much for your application DaisyDisk, and MacHeist for bringing it to us for free! smile
I'm currently having some problems when trying to register the application, my first name is "António" but on the Serial Number page I get: "Name: Ant�nio", I've tried writing "António" and copy pasting but no luck sad Any help on this one? smile

October 31, 2009 9:43 am
sacrat

sacrat

Developer

from Russia
76 posts

Guys, if any of you have problems with your license keys, refer to corresponding thread in support forums.

DaisyDisk Team member

October 31, 2009 10:29 am
donbenjy@gmail.com

donbenjy@gmail.com

Gearhead

from Birmingham, UK
70 posts

I'm really impressed with this app!  Its smooth and fast, and displays data in a nice way!  Big fan!  I was using it with the spacey music from the completed puzzle and it reminded me of something you'd see in a sci-fi film - the technology of the future! tongue

Go Orange GO! big_smile
Buy the MH3 bundle: ttp://www.macheist.com/bundle/u/147656/

October 31, 2009 10:29 am
BigMark

BigMark

Sky Pirate

from Kent, UK.
1,543 posts

Thanks for your DaisyDisk app here too:)

I didn't think it would be of use to me, but people said it had a nice interface so I just installed it to take a look & found a 20GB VM I'd forgotten about that I no longer needed.

Mark.

October 31, 2009 10:31 am

cbrueggenolte

Urchin

1 posts

I'm having the sameproblem that Antonio has. My last Name is spelled with an ü (german umlaut u) and I cant get the seriel to work.

Would appreciate any help here. And thanx a lot for the offer! Keep up doing great.

Carsten

October 31, 2009 10:38 am
FilipeStorarri

FilipeStorarri

Urchin

from Brazil
5 posts

Same from them but my problem is a ã...=(

October 31, 2009 11:04 am
JaneBrydon

JaneBrydon

Gearhead

from Dresden, Germany
70 posts

Thanks for the free app. Wasn't sure at first how to use it or what to do with it, but after playing around a bit I was able to find some huge files on my system and clean them out.

In addition, the app runs incredibly smooth and fast on my iMac (4GB RAM) ... it's a joy to use it,

Thanks to the dev for making it available and joining in the discussion here.

Orange Team

October 31, 2009 11:30 am
sacrat

sacrat

Developer

from Russia
76 posts

JaneBrydon, thank you.
We worked hard to optimize scan speed and making sure experience is as flawless as possible.

DaisyDisk Team member

October 31, 2009 12:01 pm
semicolons

semicolons

Big Game Hunter

from UK
729 posts

I really like this. Not sure how useful it is, but it's so very slick I can see myself opening it from time to time just to bask in the slickness of it.

October 31, 2009 12:48 pm
verowhite

verowhite

Tinkerer

from Sevilla, Spain
16 posts

Hi guys. Thanks for the free app.

Finding the same problem here with non-english characters. Please, see attached picture from My Loot (it should say Verónica Muñoz):

http://img.skitch.com/20091031-qeuqhj9pctkacc96tqup8nrft4.jpg

As you can see, in my Macheist profile, my name is entered correctly:
http://img.skitch.com/20091031-rpptqegsxees3yhuy9ntfr8bd6.jpg

Serial won't work. Hope we can find a solution!

My twitter
Go orange!

October 31, 2009 1:03 pm
Molnies

Molnies

Big Game Hunter

from Sweden
527 posts

I've used WhatSize and OmniDiskSweeper in the past, and so far DaisyDisk is far better at visualising the content of the HDD. It's by far the fastest to scan my OS HDD as well. This is an app that actually make use of the eye candy instead of just having it there for... eye candy smile

So based on a quick trial of the app, two big thumbs up from me!

Edit: Just noticed that it generated a large amount (60 or so) of "afpAccessDenied" messages in the console though (from a bunch of different folders)

Think Purple.

October 31, 2009 1:04 pm
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

I have to say, the eye-candy actually works here. It's not just fluff - a few minutes and you really begin to visualize your storage use in a way that makes sense visually. Nice job, guys. Fast scanning, too.

PM me | Twitter

October 31, 2009 1:12 pm
muchar

muchar

Tinkerer

from Warsaw
36 posts

Really great app. Found some space to free in my system. Thanks!

muchar - green wind ;> TEAM   Green Monkeys™ 

October 31, 2009 1:16 pm

llauzonvt

Urchin

from Vermont
2 posts

Very smooth application.  I agree that the ability to delete from the interface would be a great addition.

MB 2.4Ghz 4GB RAM

October 31, 2009 1:45 pm
DrakasX

DrakasX

Big Game Hunter

from USA
861 posts

andys53 wrote:
DrakasX wrote:

It lets you see in detail what's on your hard drive, then you can choose what to do with the things that are there.

If the app incorporated on the fly deletion and the other stuff you have to do manually, it would be much better.

From what i've explored its basically a really colorful and graphical microsoft excel graph.

It did help me find those half downloaded video podcasts though, so that counts for something

iMac 12,1 | iPhone 4S | iPad3 | Twitter | Playstation Network ID

October 31, 2009 1:50 pm
sacrat

sacrat

Developer

from Russia
76 posts

@Verónica, check your e-mail.

@Molnies that happens if DaisyDisk cannot get access to certain item. In most cases this info is redundant, but can help when troubleshooting. Probably we'll just remove these…

DaisyDisk Team member

October 31, 2009 1:57 pm

Panther24

Urchin

2 posts

OMG, its free, thanks a ton!!

October 31, 2009 2:00 pm
Seroc

Seroc

Gearhead

from Lindesberg - Sweden
50 posts

This is my first heist and even before the release I´m satisfied! Wonderful little software - "found" me 8gb (+ some more like 4gb from an old backup), witch on a Mac Mini is pretty much. I'll probably be able to recover even more if I start it up again but for now I'm happy - very happy.

October 31, 2009 2:07 pm

javijavier

Urchin

1 posts

Great  app...
Thanks !

October 31, 2009 2:16 pm
sacrat

sacrat

Developer

from Russia
76 posts

llauzonvt wrote:

Very smooth application.  I agree that the ability to delete from the interface would be a great addition.

Right now you may reveal the file in Finder (use context menu or CMD+click) and delete it from there.
In-app deletion is one of the main features of DaisyDisk 2.
Yes, I know "this must have been included from th start", but our implementation requires months of hard work, including nearly total rewrite of sunburst map rendering and involves some really tricky stuff. Just calling "remove file? Y/N" dialog would be lame from our side… smile

DaisyDisk Team member

October 31, 2009 2:19 pm
paradime

paradime

Automaton Tech

470 posts

Wonderful app! Many thanks to sacrat and MacHeist!

Man is a genius when he is dreaming.
- Akira Kurosawa

October 31, 2009 2:34 pm
newsdork

newsdork

Sky Pirate

from Tennessee
1,477 posts

Thanks for the app, and thanks for your input, sacrat! I love it when developers are here on the forums. I'm encouraged to see what DaisyDisk 2 will hold. Sounds like the functional eye candy you've put into version 1 will continue in version 2. We appreciate that!!

Sometimes I feel so blue
It makes me twitter.

October 31, 2009 3:01 pm
Ollie N

Ollie N

Big Game Hunter

662 posts

This is a Great app. much faster than grand perspective and t looks better, I cleared 5 GB with it. Here is my HD. http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3482/4060390967_47670d0de9_o.png

May the Mac be with you
Get free Dropbox space for both of us!

October 31, 2009 3:10 pm
ferretsrule

ferretsrule

Urchin

8 posts

I love this application already! I was going to post a picture, but I need to be more active, apparently.

▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

October 31, 2009 3:14 pm

Packerfan

Urchin

3 posts

App is very enjoyable, found some old backups from windows I no longer need like the 7 RC isos.

October 31, 2009 3:42 pm
jfm429

jfm429

Sky Pirate

from Behind You
2,196 posts

cbrueggenolte wrote:

I'm having the sameproblem that Antonio has. My last Name is spelled with an ü (german umlaut u) and I cant get the seriel to work.

Would appreciate any help here. And thanx a lot for the offer! Keep up doing great.

Carsten

Send an email to them.  A lot of people have the same problem and they're quick about fixing it.

NovaStorm Software || @NovaStormSW || @jfm429 || Dropbox + Extra Storage

"I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not have C++ in mind."
- Alan Kay, inventor of Object-Oriented programming

October 31, 2009 3:49 pm
Ciono

Ciono

Gearhead

from Georgia Tech
75 posts

I was using GrandPerspective to accomplish this same thing, but DaisyDisk does it much better, and much slicker. Great app to start MacHeist off with.

 <OmNom> Cookie Monster is BLUE! <OmNom> 
In Praise of Folly

October 31, 2009 3:57 pm
phillryu

phillryu

Administrator

1,569 posts

jfm429 wrote:
cbrueggenolte wrote:

Carsten

Send an email to them.  A lot of people have the same problem and they're quick about fixing it.

We'll look into this too... weird, cause we did specifically test for foreign characters before we went live, but there might be something else we can do. You may want to try entering your name with the accent removed – it's possible our system strips that before generating licenses to be safe. (Not sure if that's the issue atm though, still hunting around.)

October 31, 2009 4:05 pm
sacrat

sacrat

Developer

from Russia
76 posts

We'll re-send all the licenses anyway (after checking the database). Just contacting support speeds up the process smile

DaisyDisk Team member

October 31, 2009 4:05 pm
sacrat

sacrat

Developer

from Russia
76 posts

As people seem to like sharing screenshots, I'll post mine:
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/188977/DDsshare.png

P.S.: hm, trial mode, where' my license… smile

DaisyDisk Team member

October 31, 2009 4:16 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ DaisyDisk (Early Warning System)

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?