Forums

-- EARLY DETECTION NETWORK/WARNING SYSTEM -- I MAY OF FOUND A CLUE

MacHeist Forums » The Backroom » -- EARLY DETECTION NETWORK/WARNING SYSTEM -- I MAY OF FOUND A CLUE
GeekGuy1984

GeekGuy1984

Automaton Tech

from Washington
133 posts

I noticed that that once you type in the correct coordinates and activate the countdown on the MacHeist Early Detection Network / Early Warning System, you will hear music in the background. This may be completely useless information, but I am pretty sure that this is the music played when earning captain points once completing an adventure in Spore Galactic Adventures. Could this be a subtle hint at a future MacHeist Game Bundle? This may be completely useless info, or it may mean something.

http://cache.g4tv.com/ImageDb3/161756_PROD/Spore-Galactic-Adventures-.jpeg

This is a triumph...

October 31, 2009 7:07 am
phillryu

phillryu

Administrator

1,569 posts

Any similarities aren't intended, and the music was composed for the teaser page. My guess is that they were also going for a 'spacey, mysterious twinkly' type sound for their space setting? I'm curious to hear the music you're referencing though in Spore.

Co-Creator of MacHeist, Clear, Partner at tap tap tap | follow me on twitter

October 31, 2009 7:14 am
GeekGuy1984

GeekGuy1984

Automaton Tech

from Washington
133 posts

Oops. I played it again and I noticed that it is different. Sorry, my fault.

This is a triumph...

October 31, 2009 8:24 am
DrakasX

DrakasX

Big Game Hunter

from USA
861 posts

wheels within wheels

iMac 12,1 | iPhone 4S | iPad3 | Twitter | Playstation Network ID

October 31, 2009 8:28 am
rbr

rbr

Automaton Tech

from The Happy, CA
257 posts

I'm gonna start by apologizing in advance because I know I'm gonna sound like a pretentious prick, but PLEASE stop using "I may OF."  This makes absolutely no sense in English.  You're looking for "I may'VE" which is a contraction of "I may HAVE."  Think about it.  "Of" is a preposition, used in situations such as "out OF this world," or "I can't think OF the correct way to use OF."  HA!  Sorry, bad joke. 

Anywho, along with the misuse of "your & you're" and "their, there, and they're," this is my biggest grammar peeve, and it's selfish of me but I have to stop people from constantly using it or I will go insane.  And yes, I know the argument of "well, it's just phonetic" and whatnot, but I'm sorry, that's no excuse. 

Again, I'm sorry for being a prick.  Feel free to call me names now.  Thank you.

PurpleCompadres

October 31, 2009 9:22 am
October 31, 2009 9:55 am
hebejebelus

hebejebelus

Tinkerer

from Ireland
19 posts

@rbr Agreed. "I may of" is my least favourite error.

October 31, 2009 10:01 am
Ollie N

Ollie N

Big Game Hunter

662 posts

I own galactic adventures and do you mean the intro music?

May the Mac be with you
Get free Dropbox space for both of us!

October 31, 2009 10:37 am
johnred

johnred

Directorate

1,869 posts

rbr wrote:

I'm gonna start by apologizing in advance because I know I'm gonna sound like a pretentious prick, but PLEASE stop using "I may OF."  This makes absolutely no sense in English.  You're looking for "I may'VE" which is a contraction of "I may HAVE."  Think about it.  "Of" is a preposition, used in situations such as "out OF this world," or "I can't think OF the correct way to use OF."  HA!  Sorry, bad joke. 

Anywho, along with the misuse of "your & you're" and "their, there, and they're," this is my biggest grammar peeve, and it's selfish of me but I have to stop people from constantly using it or I will go insane.  And yes, I know the argument of "well, it's just phonetic" and whatnot, but I'm sorry, that's no excuse. 

Again, I'm sorry for being a prick.  Feel free to call me names now.  Thank you.

It's hard to read a prickish reply while looking at that sombrero and not smile. big_smile

John Casasanta
MacHeist Director
tap tap tap chief

October 31, 2009 11:04 am
wolfieb

wolfieb

Urchin

from Somewhere in the world
2 posts

rbr wrote:

Anywho, along with the misuse of "your & you're" ...

AnyHOW, using "&" when you mean "and" is one of my pet peeves. :-)

Twitter: http//twitter.com/wolfieb

October 31, 2009 11:35 am
JPDyson

JPDyson

3,580 posts

shoot, where can i get me one-a dem sombreros...

PM me | Twitter

October 31, 2009 12:57 pm
magicman100

magicman100

Urchin

9 posts

the games have begun...here goes two weeks of time in front of the computer to constantly check for updates to Macheist

October 31, 2009 1:11 pm
Seshan

Seshan

Automaton Tech

195 posts

rbr wrote:

Check this out. http://www.techdirt.com/articles/200910 … 6690.shtml

Wooooo!

October 31, 2009 1:46 pm
Sulcalibur

Sulcalibur

Automaton Tech

from London, United Kingdom
366 posts

magicman100 wrote:

the games have begun...here goes two weeks of time in front of the computer to constantly check for updates to Macheist

That's what I was thinking lol - How do I explain this to my boss tongue

You should Follow me at - Sulcalibur cool
You know it makes sense wink

October 31, 2009 1:55 pm
ajbis

ajbis

Automaton Tech

from London
415 posts

I think using words incorrectly goes beyond bad grammer. I'm with rbr. smile

This dog is green all the way wink

October 31, 2009 4:46 pm
Seshan

Seshan

Automaton Tech

195 posts

ajbis wrote:

I think using words incorrectly goes beyond bad grammer. I'm with rbr. smile

How does bad grammer go beyond bad grammer?

Wooooo!

October 31, 2009 6:28 pm
zanshin

zanshin

Tinkerer

from Frederick, MD
11 posts

I had a bad grammer once. My grammpaw finally divorced her.

Now about bad grammar; I've always wondered how despite working in a field which requires attention to detail, one where users are mocked when they say their operating system is  MS Office, can we so carelessly abuse language and grammar.

October 31, 2009 7:15 pm
rampancy

rampancy

from Denial.
3,889 posts

wolfieb wrote:
rbr wrote:

Even worse for me is when people use "loose" when they really meant to say "lose". Ugh.

Marathon Forever.
AppShelf: MacHeist 3 Loot
AppShelf: nanoBundle 1
Check Reciept Page for nanoBundle 2 AppShelf Files.

October 31, 2009 7:22 pm
rbr

rbr

Automaton Tech

from The Happy, CA
257 posts

johnred wrote:

It's hard to read a prickish reply while looking at that sombrero and not smile. big_smile

Much obliged, johnred!

wolfieb wrote:

Damn.  And the corrector becomes the correctee.  (If those are even words.)  I humbly thank you for that, wolfieb.

zanshin wrote:

LOL!  That's gonna make me laugh all day.

PurpleCompadres

October 31, 2009 7:41 pm
desertdemocrat

desertdemocrat

Automaton Tech

from Phoenix, AZ
292 posts

OMG I may well be in love with this thread. I teach writing and feel as if I am throwing sand into the wind. Loose for lose, hear for here, misuse of their, they're and there, it's for its--it's is not possessive, it is a contraction--and the list goes on and on and on.

Grammar geeks unite

desertdemocrat
▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
Thinking it Through

October 31, 2009 10:49 pm
Swanny14

Swanny14

Automaton Tech

from Somewhere Over the Rainbow...
497 posts

rampancy wrote:
wolfieb wrote:
rbr wrote:

Even worse for me is when people use "loose" when they really meant to say "lose". Ugh.

Rampancy is a looser tongue

I'm Such a Twit | My Blog | My Chi.mp
Swanny14 On IRC
Come Visit Us in #Macheist !

October 31, 2009 10:53 pm
phillryu

phillryu

Administrator

1,569 posts

rampancy wrote:
wolfieb wrote:
rbr wrote:

The one that gets me because it's SO common (literally more common than the correct usage) in gaming boards is substituting "rouge" for rogue. Yeah, your level 48 rouge is totally badass bro, and it is so manly that you are teabagging corpses while yelling expletives in a high pitched 11 year old voice into your headset hmm

Co-Creator of MacHeist, Clear, Partner at tap tap tap | follow me on twitter

October 31, 2009 11:01 pm
LasVegas

LasVegas

Tinkerer

from Las Vegas, Nevada
20 posts

Watching Stargate Universe yesterday, a character fell into an ice break while collecting water for the ship. I mentioned to my wife at that moment, that he'd fallen into a "crevasse", pointing out that a "crevice" is a crack in the earth, where a "crevasse" is a crack in ice. Sure enough, the character helping him radioed back to the ship that he'd fallen into a "crevasse." Satisfied that they got it right, I continued watching, only to witness in the next scene a woman alerting her friend that the aforementioned character has fallen into a "crevice!" Grrrr!

LasVegas

- Ts'i mahnu uterna ot twan ot geifur hingts uto.
- Sometimes I wonder… Why is that Frisbee getting Larger? …and then it hits me.

October 31, 2009 11:24 pm
JMarkevich

JMarkevich

Sky Pirate

from Halifax, Canada
1,183 posts

LasVegas wrote:

Watching Stargate Universe yesterday...

Well, there's your first mistake right there...

"You have the whitest white-part-of-the-eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?"
Get Dropbox. You need it!

October 31, 2009 11:38 pm
kudioske

kudioske

Big Game Hunter

from Buffalo, MN
960 posts

Swanny14 wrote:

Though I suspect you jest, I must take exception to your proclivity.

Rampancy rocks.

Haste makes heist

November 1, 2009 12:28 am
Scandalous

Scandalous

Sky Pirate

1,528 posts

I dare someone to write a paragraph in LOLCat.

Click DropBox to sync files online & across your computers for FREE + receive an additional 250 MB.

November 1, 2009 12:55 am
gmprunner

gmprunner

Tinkerer

from Southern California
43 posts

I CAN HAZ COORDINATES!!??

I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Smoking Mac

November 1, 2009 1:07 am
johnred

johnred

Directorate

1,869 posts

Also, this thread should've been started in The Backroom (although the majority of the content of it at this point is more Lounge material). I moved it.

John Casasanta
MacHeist Director
tap tap tap chief

November 1, 2009 1:20 am
andys53

andys53

Sky Pirate

from a frog flu resistant land.
1,904 posts

johnred wrote:

Also, this thread should've been started in The Backroom (although the majority of the content of it at this point is more Lounge material). I moved it.

Ah, to have the power. But can you correct the typo in TPBM thread? Or does it just cause amusement?    smile

smile From a spam free, orange team, land smile

November 1, 2009 8:01 am
daba

daba

Big Game Hunter

from New Zealand
640 posts

johnred wrote:

So i guess there's nothing against me to do this:

gmprunner wrote:

I CAN HAZ COORDINATES!!??

Everyone who's anyone is retweeting this:

Imminent impact @MacHeist (151.7,174.4) Witness it and get DaisyDisk ($20) for FREE to reclaim GBs of space on your Mac! http://macheist.com

so maybe the coordinates are hidden in it... hint hint... HINT HINT -> "151.7,174.4".

“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.” — Arthur C. Clarke. Sharing large files and backing them up using Dropbox is just like magic, and you can get 2.5 GB of free storage when you sign up for Dropbox with this link.

November 1, 2009 9:26 am
LasVegas

LasVegas

Tinkerer

from Las Vegas, Nevada
20 posts

Hmm… Tried going to http://151.7.174.4/ and it didn't work… wink

LasVegas

- Ts'i mahnu uterna ot twan ot geifur hingts uto.
- Sometimes I wonder… Why is that Frisbee getting Larger? …and then it hits me.

November 1, 2009 9:41 am

onemanrace

Urchin

1 posts

I'm hoping that it's with a huge sense of irony that people are using 'grammer' when they mean 'grammar'. ;o)

November 1, 2009 9:58 am
The_Boss

The_Boss

Automaton Tech

from Sydney, Australia
323 posts

onemanrace wrote:

I'm hoping that it's with a huge sense of irony that people are using 'grammer' when they mean 'grammar'. ;o)

You think too highly of the human race tongue

▛▞▞▟ Ooh wacka do wacka diddily do I'm so BLUE! ▙▚▚▜

November 1, 2009 10:38 am
rampancy

rampancy

from Denial.
3,889 posts

Swanny14 wrote:

Yes, as a matter of fact I am, everytime I untie my shoelaces... wink

Marathon Forever.

November 1, 2009 12:00 pm
MacJacky

MacJacky

Tinkerer

from Germany / Schliersee
42 posts

zanshin wrote:

*rofl* this one is great!!

ready for MacHeist 4

November 1, 2009 12:17 pm

Tinkerer

from Ossining, NY
44 posts

here we go again!

I was on the web before there was a web.  neutral

Follow me here:  Twitter

November 1, 2009 1:49 pm
ace99

ace99

Urchin

2 posts

Enter that supposed IP address into the coordinates (151.7 and 174.4 and press the button to "go to coordinates".

November 1, 2009 2:05 pm
kae

kae

Automaton Tech

from where the wild things are
161 posts

I love this thread so much. big_smile

It's comforting to know I'm not the only one annoyed by improper word usage. And I have to agree with phillryu - use of rouge v. rogue is very irritating.

I have the heart of a child...

...it's in a jar on my desk.

November 1, 2009 2:15 pm
Richard Hallas

Richard Hallas

Automaton Tech

from Huddersfield, UK
250 posts

My personal pet peeve is the word "lay".

Everyone, it seems, uses "lay" when they mean "lie". Just listen out for it in any TV programme or film in particular (let alone printed media).

"Lay low" replaces "lie low" whenever you hear the phrase. "Lay of the land"... well, that's actually a bit rude, as it refers to a loose woman, in the same way as saying that she's "the good time that was had by all". But it seems to be used universally, now, to mean "lie of the land".

(I accept that this may be an American versus British thing. But even so.)

Just don't get me started on "its" versus "it's".

Cheers!
Born to the Purple

November 1, 2009 2:19 pm
WarWraith

WarWraith

Automaton Tech

from Melbourne, AU
177 posts

Richard Hallas wrote:

I don't understand why people struggle with this. Its not to hard for people too work out where it's apostrophe should go. Their aren't heaps of places to put it, but it seems to me that a lot of people don't think about there writing. Perhaps its just two hard too put the effort into haveing correct punctuation, speling and grammer.

...if you have the rarest of gifts, a perfectly balanced mind, you will say "frumious."

November 1, 2009 8:54 pm

VMSZealot

Urchin

7 posts

What's wrong with &? It's a ligature of e and t (et, or 'and' in Latin).

November 1, 2009 9:23 pm
JMarkevich

JMarkevich

Sky Pirate

from Halifax, Canada
1,183 posts

WarWraith wrote:
Richard Hallas wrote:

I don't understand why people struggle with this. Its not to hard for people too work out where it's apostrophe should go. Their aren't heaps of places to put it, but it seems to me that a lot of people don't think about there writing. Perhaps its just two hard too put the effort into haveing correct punctuation, speling and grammer.

Because a general rule is that the apostrophe is either a contraction or possessive.  Its/it's almost flies in the face of that rule, as in:

Rover's paw hurt.  The dog licked its paw.

Seems a little inconsistent if you don't really know your English well.  One reasoning could be that since "it's" is a contraction for "it is", so to eliminate confusion, the possessive should be distinctly different.

"You have the whitest white-part-of-the-eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?"
Get Dropbox. You need it!

November 1, 2009 10:08 pm
The_Boss

The_Boss

Automaton Tech

from Sydney, Australia
323 posts

What about suite vs. suit?

i.e.The guy was wearing a suite

Annoying!

▛▞▞▟ Ooh wacka do wacka diddily do I'm so BLUE! ▙▚▚▜

November 1, 2009 10:26 pm

solarisking

Urchin

7 posts

Where in the heck did those coordinates come from?  And I don't mean Twitter either!

November 1, 2009 10:50 pm
WarWraith

WarWraith

Automaton Tech

from Melbourne, AU
177 posts

JMarkevich wrote:

Because a general rule is that the apostrophe is either a contraction or possessive.  Its/it's almost flies in the face of that rule, as in:

Rover's paw hurt.  The dog licked its paw.

Seems a little inconsistent if you don't really know your English well.  One reasoning could be that since "it's" is a contraction for "it is", so to eliminate confusion, the possessive should be distinctly different.

I'm trying to work out whether I count that as a successful troll, or not tongue

I'm the "second set of eyes" at work; I get to review anything that goes out the door for errors - grammatical or otherwise.

The other part of my job is tech support, where I get to be on the constant receiving end of the worst kind of abuses of the English language imaginable.

It's enough to drive a man to drink.

...if you have the rarest of gifts, a perfectly balanced mind, you will say "frumious."

November 1, 2009 11:57 pm
WhiteFang

WhiteFang

Dirigible Captain

from a cliff in the arctic ocean.
2,847 posts

One should really wonder who's the troll here smile

You give MacHeist's users absolutely no credit for being a diverse and multi-national group. Not everyone here comes from an English-speaking country, and many here have English as their third or fourth language (me included).

There are certainly places where grammar-nazis and spelling-pervs have their place - this isn't one of them.

I for one always have to think twice where the apostrophe should be in "your'e / you're", "they're / theyr'e" etc., since in neither Icelandic nor Swedish is it customary to mangle the language with apostrophes.

The world is a tad bigger place than North-America and "some fallen empire based off of a small island in the east", and it's somewhat astonishing to see grammar and spelling complaints coming from an aussie, considering your whereabouts - none of your neighbours to the north speak a shred of English worth mentioning...

EDIT: Spelling fixed...

(favourite paradox) This page intentionally left blank.

November 2, 2009 12:36 am
WarWraith

WarWraith

Automaton Tech

from Melbourne, AU
177 posts

WhiteFang wrote:

The world is a tad bigger place than North-America and "some fallen empire based off of a small island in the east", and it's somewhat astonishing to see grammar and spelling complaints coming from an aussie, considering your whereabouts - none of your neighbours to the north speak a shred of English worth mentioning...

Actually, it was a definite troll. I filled that post with grammatical and spelling errors just to be funny.

Unfortunately, it was just after I'd woken up, and before I'd had my coffee, and I can see now how it looks like I'm having a go :S

Failed troll has failed.

November 2, 2009 2:42 am
rampancy

rampancy

from Denial.
3,889 posts

WhiteFang wrote:

One should really wonder who's the troll here smile

You give MacHeist's users absolutely no credit for being a diverse and multi-national group. Not everyone here comes from an English-speaking country, and many here have English as their third or fourth language (me included).

There are certainly places where grammar-nazis and spelling-pervs have their place - this isn't one of them.

I for one always have to think twice where the apostrophe should be in "your'e / you're", "they're / theyr'e" etc., since in neither Icelandic nor Swedish is it customary to mangle the language with apostrophes.

EDIT: Spelling fixed...

That being said, there are a lot of people who can't use English properly who really should know better; e.g. us folks in North America, by which I mean native born North Americans. Hell, from my time in school, I've see that it's the immigrants who often have better knowledge of spelling and grammar. I see that all the time on emails, papers I've read, and labs I've marked. Bad grammar is everywhere over here.

Marathon Forever.

November 2, 2009 3:02 am
slashpot

slashpot

Tinkerer

12 posts

Oh I'm so glad I'm not the only anal jerk! I fear the net is destroying the English language to the point where one can't tell whether the writer is typing fast, has only a basic grasp of grammar (and spelling), or just doesn't give a shit.

Despite the fact that I really want Daisy Disk, I thank rbr for pointing out this ugliest of all English usage cock-ups.

With the possible exception of "You've got another THING coming"

PS: Ever notice how when someone points out something pedantic like this someone else manages to find a mistake in THEIR grammar?

Good old Collingwood forever

November 2, 2009 5:48 am
Richard Hallas

Richard Hallas

Automaton Tech

from Huddersfield, UK
250 posts

WhiteFang wrote:

First of all, speaking personally, I want to point out that I'm not here to criticise anyone, least of all those whose native language is not English. The English language is one of my interests, and this thread of people's pet grammatical peeves therefore appealed to me. Call it anal or whatever, but some people take an interest in such things, and it's possible to have an entertaining discussion about it without implying any personal criticism.

I am a writer and former magazine editor (among other things) and I still spend a lot of my time working with words. From that position of experience I can say with complete honesty that I've used freelance writers from many different countries, and the thing that has generally struck me in doing so is how much better the quality of written English tends to be from foreigners than from native speakers.

Clearly this is hardly a universal truth. Some of my native English-speaking writers (from both the UK and NZ) were outstandingly good, of course, and foreigners (notably from Germany and Denmark) writing in English tended, understandably enough, to lack the easy flow and use of colloquialisms that one would expect from a native speaker. Nevertheless, if it was good grammar, good sense and generally high standards that I was looking for (which indeed it was), I found that I could generally rely on the non-native speakers to provide it, whereas the native English writers could frequently be careless and slap-dash.

To me, this says a lot about the relative quality of education in the UK and overseas. My experience of Americans is relatively limited in terms of editing their writing, and of course we are separated by a common language, so there are things that Americans consider correct that I don't like (and probably vice versa): such as my previous "lay of the land" example. My personal experience is primarily with British English, and the versions of English learnt as a foreign language by Europeans.

My other main point is that English is fluid and evolves constantly. Grammar rules are only a convention, and they change over time. For anyone who would like to know more about this, I would recommend reading David Crystal's The Stories of English, which is most illuminating (if a little heavy-going at times).

As with any argument, there are two sides: on the one hand, there are Grammar Nazis who lay down the law in black and white terms and say that such-and-such a usage is right or wrong, full stop. On the other, there are the people at the other end of the spectrum who don't know or don't care about grammar and spelling, and think that making oneself understood is all that matters.

Neither position is right. Personally I veer very much toward the Grammar Nazi, but I have to recognise the fact that we are dealing with conventions, and conventions that are not even universal. Conventions of spelling, punctuation and grammar change substantially within a single region over a period of years (it's easy to look back and see marked changes in the use of punctuation within British English literature within the last half-century, for example), and do not necessarily coincide between regions: American English is punctuated substantially differently from British English. (Note that, if I were American, I would probably have written: "American English is punctuated substantially differently than British English.")

To give a few simple examples, American English generally favours use of the Oxford Comma ("one, two, and three") whereas British English generally does not ("one, two and three"). But some British publishers insist on using it (not least Oxford University Press) and some American publishers insist on not using it. As a second example, British English makes a distinction between abbreviations and contractions ("Co(mpany)" would be abbreviated to "Co." - with a dot at the end - whereas "L(imi)t(e)d" would be contracted to "Ltd" - without a dot; American English would put a dot after "Ltd." because it treats the two cases as the same). Finally, the American use of "of" personally really annoys me a lot, because frequently it's omitted where it's clearly needed ("out the window" instead of "out of the window") and inserted where it equally clearly isn't wanted ("off of", which is totally redundant). But that's the convention that has arisen through popular usage, and is now 'correct' American English usage. The fact that I really dislike it is neither here nor there.

These are all conventions which boil down to being little more than publishers' house styles: you can consciously choose which to use and be 'right' regardless of your preference. As for other grammatical usages, they change over time, and dictionaries and rule-books are updated periodically not to set out what's right and wrong, but to formalise established convention that reflects how grammar works today.

So to be a true Grammar Nazi is to deny progress and refuse to accept the possibility of change. But that is not the same as saying that people should ignore the rules and pretend that they don't matter or that people don't care about them. As with most things in life, steering a middle course and accommodating other points of view is the best way to avoid problems. There are few absolutes, and grammar rules are no exception.

Cheers!
Born to the Purple

November 2, 2009 11:32 am
MacHeist Forums » The Backroom » -- EARLY DETECTION NETWORK/WARNING SYSTEM -- I MAY OF FOUND A CLUE

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?