Forums

★ WriteRoom

MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ WriteRoom
johnred

johnred

Directorate

1,869 posts

Post your thoughts about WriteRoom here.

(If you have any WriteRoom support related issues, please post them here.)

John Casasanta
MacHeist Director
tap tap tap chief

November 6, 2009 12:26 am
F451

F451

Tinkerer

44 posts

If you love WriteRoom (like I do) then you'll also love TaskPaper by the same developer.

November 6, 2009 12:43 am
bildzeitung

bildzeitung

Tinkerer

from Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
21 posts

Great stuff. WriteRoom has been a constant NaNoWriMo companion.

Quia custodes ipso custodes?

November 6, 2009 12:45 am
judge84

judge84

Urchin

from Poland, Warsaw
9 posts

Where is license ? Should we wait for e-mail or it should be in the bundle details in receipt ?

November 6, 2009 12:49 am
darkhorse

darkhorse

Tinkerer

10 posts

yeah, i can't find a license either

November 6, 2009 12:50 am
chinajon6

chinajon6

Tinkerer

23 posts

I have WriteRoom. It stopped working after an OSX update I think, not sure.....
I can not get through to hogbaysoftware, probably because the Great Firewall of China is blocking it. So, probably I won't be able to download the MH4 version.

:-(

Live Long and Prosper

November 6, 2009 12:52 am
darkhorse

darkhorse

Tinkerer

10 posts

whoops never mind its up now

November 6, 2009 12:55 am
cafegurl

cafegurl

Urchin

7 posts

I think all the licenses come via e-mail.

November 6, 2009 12:56 am
Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj

Tinkerer

from Hereford, UK
35 posts

I love the UI in full screen mode... shame the same can't be said about it when you exit fullscreen.. lol. Looks more like TextEdit then.

But then again.. iWork 09 comes with a full screen feature now anyway :\ and I have that

November 6, 2009 1:30 am
Linkert

Linkert

Urchin

from Sweden
7 posts

Lovley app! Thank you!

- Robin

November 6, 2009 1:55 am
jmdemick

jmdemick

Gearhead

from Athens GA
81 posts

I lie that this app is able to prevent distractions, I would like some ability to add references through endnote, but I guess I will switch from one processor to another.

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not Eureka! (I found it!) but rather, 'hmm... that's funny...'" Isaac Asimov
Useful Science software: http://www.helixsuite.com/

November 6, 2009 2:41 am
Molnies

Molnies

Big Game Hunter

from Sweden
527 posts

I used WR a year or so ago, it's a good app for taking away distractions and just focus on the writing. These days I use Scrivener instead, which is a much more powerful app but also has this full screen focus mode à la WR — so if that's all you need, WR is a great app to have.

Think Purple.

November 6, 2009 2:49 am
ElijahPost

ElijahPost

Tinkerer

from San Francisco
21 posts

What we really need now is the MS-DOS font to make it mimic XyWrite, the original Word Possessor from the '80s. Does anyone know where to find an MS-DOS font?

▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of Team PURPLE ▙▚▚▜
www.workbreach.com :: www.macheist.co.uk

MacBook (Mid-2007), 2.97TB Total Storage Space.

November 6, 2009 3:00 am
blessthismorningyear

blessthismorningyear

Urchin

from Dallas/Fort Worth, TX
5 posts

This is by far (until the tower defense is fixed) favorite app. Love the idea of being able to jot things down without distraction. Woot!

twitter: ialejandro
web: http://ialejandro.com

November 6, 2009 5:18 am
dsw

dsw

Tinkerer

from the land of the kiwis
17 posts

If only it supporting code highlighting for program developers, I would probably use it.

November 6, 2009 6:02 am
shishk123

shishk123

Tinkerer

from From India
47 posts

The license for writeroom that shows up on my page is the same as the one I had already bought. Am I not supposed to get a new one?

November 6, 2009 7:37 am
jashsayani

jashsayani

Automaton Tech

from Salt Lake City, UT, USA
110 posts

Hmm... Nice app.

My Blog | Twitter | Skype
▛▞▞▟ Proud Member of the BLUE Team™ ▙▚▚▜

November 6, 2009 9:59 am
JackV

JackV

Sky Pirate

from Germany
1,072 posts

If you enjoy writeroom, don´t forget to download quickcursor from the web site.

My favourite app of this kind is mytexts. It integrates file management in a non distracting way which keeps me from the huzzle where to save the files.

I write about Juice on Entsafter.co

November 6, 2009 12:21 pm
JaneBrydon

JaneBrydon

Gearhead

from Dresden, Germany
70 posts

At first I was sceptic about this app since I already bought Scrivener and Scrivener does have full screen writing as well. But after giving it just a quick try, I am hooked. Don't ask me why exactly, but for some reason I find writing in WriteRoom even better than using the fullscreen function in Scrivener.

I think from now on, I might do the actual writing in WriteRoom and the organizing of my writing (characters, scenes etc) in Scrivener.

BTW, I just found out that WRITEROOM FOR IPHONE IS ON SALE FOR JUST $0.99 or €0.79 (Germany) from the AppStore. Just snatched it, that is too good an opportunity to pass up.

Just in case you guys didn't know: You can sync your writings from the iPhone to http://www.simpletext.ws/ and then from there import it into Scrivener. As far as I've found out, a seamless sync with the Mac app of WriteRoom is not possible yet. But still, great possibilities.

Orange Team

November 6, 2009 1:17 pm
Jesse Grosjean

Jesse Grosjean

Developer

from Bangor, Maine
22 posts

shishk123 wrote:

The license for writeroom that shows up on my page is the same as the one I had already bought. Am I not supposed to get a new one?

Licenses are generated off your name, so the key will always be the same for the same name. But my database keeps track of how many licenses you own. Next time you (resend licenses) from my site you should see that you have 2... Exept that won't show up until after this heist, I won't be importing the hiest orders into my database until the end.

WriteRoom — Distraction free writing software for your Mac.
WriteRoom.iPhone — Distraction free writing for your iPhone.
TaskPaper — Simple to-do list software for your Mac.

November 6, 2009 1:25 pm
JMarkevich

JMarkevich

Sky Pirate

from Halifax, Canada
1,185 posts

JaneBrydon wrote:

BTW, I just found out that WRITEROOM FOR IPHONE IS ON SALE FOR JUST $0.99 or €0.79 (Germany) from the AppStore. Just snatched it, that is too good an opportunity to pass up.

Just in case you guys didn't know: You can sync your writings from the iPhone to http://www.simpletext.ws/ and then from there import it into Scrivener. As far as I've found out, a seamless sync with the Mac app of WriteRoom is not possible yet. But still, great possibilities.

The iPhone version is awesome for 2 reasons: TextExpander integration and simpletext.ws sync.

There is a development version of a Mac sync with simpletext.ws, so there is *kind of* a sync... it just syncs to files in a folder on your drive...

"You have the whitest white-part-of-the-eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?"
Get Dropbox. You need it!

November 6, 2009 1:29 pm

ewindfern@hotmail.com

Urchin

4 posts

I love it! I'M A.D.D/ Dyslexic and an english major (funny). After starring at black text on a white background for a while the words literally appear to move, icons and things like adium on my desktop intensify this, plus I get distracted by everything. Write room is perfect since it's just text, free of distraction and it's sparse preferences keep me from procrastinating and trying to customize every element of the u.i like I do with most programs.

November 6, 2009 1:30 pm

danielgruver

Urchin

1 posts

The serial key listed on the MacHeist website doesn't register the program. The serial is approximately 180 characters in length. Am I using the wrong serial or entering it into the program incorrectly?

November 6, 2009 5:36 pm
Jesse Grosjean

Jesse Grosjean

Developer

from Bangor, Maine
22 posts

The serial is long, but generally that's not the problem. Make sure that you are entering your name EXACTLY (copy, past to be safe) as it's listed on the MacHeist receipt page right after "Name:".

November 6, 2009 6:35 pm

forensicny54

Urchin

1 posts

I get the following dialogue box each time I begin typing.

This document could not be autosaved because you don’t have write access privileges to the folder that it’s in.

I don't know how to fix it.
Please help

November 6, 2009 7:02 pm

natlinxz

Urchin

2 posts

I tried the demo two years ago, and didn't enjoy it much. So when I downloaded it off macheist, the first thing I got was "Your trial has expired". I laughed.
Anyway, great program. I would pay about ten dollars for it. It's nothing special, since you can go full screen in any program with OS Xs screen zoom. (control+scroll)

November 7, 2009 4:44 am
hyperzeta

hyperzeta

Urchin

3 posts

I bought Writeroom awhile ago after trying out TaskPaper by the same developer, which was part of the MH2 bundle. Used it mainly for taking notes in class where the fullscreen helps avoid distractions.

Apps like Pages now have fullscreen options but I think WriteRoom fills a nice requirement if all you want to do is write and not be bothered by things like formatting.

November 8, 2009 8:05 am
chai

chai

Tinkerer

from California
24 posts

WriteRoom is kind of really perfect for NaNoWriMo. Thanks so much! smile

November 8, 2009 5:06 pm

HazRutter

Urchin

3 posts

Is there anyway you can get this to type directly into Microsoft Word or iWork?

November 8, 2009 5:08 pm
btester92

btester92

Big Game Hunter

from USA
944 posts

HazRutter wrote:

Yes, download the app called QuickCursor from the developer's web site. It works very well. There's a video demonstration somewhere that shows you how to use it.

If I was helpful, consider signing up for Dropbox on my referral.

November 8, 2009 5:11 pm

HazRutter

Urchin

3 posts

btester92 wrote:
HazRutter wrote:

Yes, download the app called QuickCursor from the developer's web site. It works very well. There's a video demonstration somewhere that shows you how to use it.

I downloaded this but it doesnt seem to work with Word of Firefox? Could you please explain it to me ?

November 8, 2009 5:50 pm

mattgallion

Urchin

1 posts

I downloaded the bundle, but already had a trial of WriteRoom, which I love, on my computer. Now it doesn't even show up on my receipt, and I'm afraid I'll never get a license for it! What should I do?!

November 10, 2009 3:44 am
Spationaute

Spationaute

Gearhead

from Canada- QC
50 posts

I like this apps! People alway whant something like Office because they only don't know how to use the key TAB on the keyboard and don't know how to use shortcuts to. They don't know how to render a good text to! So they need thing to help them. WriteRoom is for people who know what they are doing and really stay out of the way. Talking about shortcuts, someone know how to add one for change the baseline fast (Is long to write C12H22O11 (sugar) whit out!!) ? 

If you came back Jesse, there is two thing to add to you're apps: first, great shortcut for the rtf format (baseline, kern, etc) and second a color selection for the windows mode (I'd love to put a transparent window like I do whit TextMate, to read text by the window (while taking notes)).

◤                                  ◥
       ✯Purple
eam✯
◣                                  ◢

November 11, 2009 1:00 am
Spationaute

Spationaute

Gearhead

from Canada- QC
50 posts

I forgot Jesse, I'll send you some dog to take care of the cat. big_smile

✯Purple
eam✯

November 11, 2009 1:11 am
kcwookie

kcwookie

Tinkerer

from Kansas City
49 posts

I used WR for my latest writing project. I like it, but had problems using it to edit in other apps. I might be doing something wrong, but I couldn't get it to launch.

Any ideas?

Never ask a person what computer they use. If they use a Mac, they will tell you, otherwise why shame them.

November 12, 2009 9:16 pm

randyrocker

Urchin

3 posts

Looking for the registration, can't seem to find it anywhere, can someone help in this regard?

November 12, 2009 9:48 pm
beiju

beiju

Automaton Tech

from Lacaoosa
139 posts

Regarding QuickCursor, to use it place your cursor in a text field and choose WriteRoom from the menu in your menubar. When you save and close the WriteRoom document, it will be piped back into your text field.

kcwookie, I’m guessing you installed the “Edit in WriteRoom” plugin from the Preferences. If it’s worked correctly, you should have an Edit in WriteRoom… item in your Edit menu in every application. It’s had problems since 10.5 Leopard came out, which is why QuickCursor is being developed instead. I use a semicomplex workaround that involves downloading MacVim, going to its preferences, then Integration, selecting WriteRoom from the list and installing the plugin. It has the same effect, but this way works—at least for me.

randyrocker and everyone else wanting to find your serial: Either go to the home page and click Order Lookup (towards the middle), or go to http://macheist.com/order/ to see every bundle you’ve “purchased.”

"This must be Thursday. I could never get the hang of Thursdays"
-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

November 13, 2009 8:04 am
DreadedKilla

DreadedKilla

Sky Pirate

from Kelowna
1,164 posts

beiju wrote:

Regarding QuickCursor, to use it place your cursor in a text field and choose WriteRoom from the menu in your menubar. When you save and close the WriteRoom document, it will be piped back into your text field.

In these regards, I have tried to do that but when I save and close (as demonstrated in the Quick Cursor screencast) it does not get piped in...

November 13, 2009 2:07 pm
Jesse Grosjean

Jesse Grosjean

Developer

from Bangor, Maine
22 posts

@DreadedKilla QuickCursor can only work with plain text. In your example you are editing a rich text gmail textarea. It should work if you instead change that to a plain text gmail text area.

November 13, 2009 7:05 pm
DreadedKilla

DreadedKilla

Sky Pirate

from Kelowna
1,164 posts

Jesse Grosjean wrote:

@DreadedKilla QuickCursor can only work with plain text. In your example you are editing a rich text gmail textarea. It should work if you instead change that to a plain text gmail text area.

Still no go though...

November 14, 2009 12:57 am
Spationaute

Spationaute

Gearhead

from Canada- QC
50 posts

kcwookie wrote:

I used WR for my latest writing project. I like it, but had problems using it to edit in other apps. I might be doing something wrong, but I couldn't get it to launch.

Any ideas?

It's because you have snow leopard.

✯Purple
eam✯

November 14, 2009 3:23 pm
tadej5553

tadej5553

Tinkerer

33 posts

Great app!

Not so useful if you are researching (and are typing and looking at some other window at the same time) and dont have 2 screens (if I had 2 screens this app would be an epic win), but very great if you are writing a report and know everything, you just need to write it right.

It beats Page's Full Screen, because this one can be configured. I also like that line higlithing tool. This app can totally replace text edit, because it can open all the files TE can.
For me this is the best app from this nanobundle, followed closely by Shovebox

November 14, 2009 4:06 pm
macdude18

macdude18

Automaton Tech

288 posts

I love Writeroom. I get so distracted when i am writing papers or articles. This should be the perfect solution.

Twitter II Flickr
You don’t take a photograph, you make it. - Ansel Adams

November 15, 2009 3:40 pm
soaringcheetah

soaringcheetah

Urchin

8 posts

This is by far the best text editor I've seen yet, I just love the simplicity.

When I hear the word "Windows," I reach for my gun.

November 15, 2009 11:56 pm

jklawrence@tiscali.co.uk

Urchin

1 posts

Absolutely love WriteRoom - really makes way for productivity, cannot praise the developer enough.

November 16, 2009 11:36 pm

Les_67

Urchin

1 posts

Still don't have a license. What do I need to do?

November 17, 2009 2:48 am

nikzambe

Urchin

2 posts

Hi!
I saved my licence in an image format like PNG: I don't reach to copy license number now! How can I get license number in plain text?
Thanks
smile

Nicolo'

November 17, 2009 8:38 pm
Jesse Grosjean

Jesse Grosjean

Developer

from Bangor, Maine
22 posts

I've just finished loading all MacHiest nanoBundles participants into my orders database. This means you can now get your WriteRoom license key resent to you from this page on my website:

http://www.hogbaysoftware.com/store/resend_licenses

If you've had trouble getting your WriteRoom license key to work, you might have better luck with the license key that's resent from the above page.

Jesse

November 18, 2009 1:50 am

vicked

Urchin

2 posts

Hi
I just got writeroom through nanobundle and i really like it. I was wondering how to apply a document icon to writeroom created files because at the moment when i choose the option to open all my RTFs in writeroom the icon is plain blank. I want to add the same icon as textedit's.  Please help!!

November 18, 2009 9:17 am

nikzambe

Urchin

2 posts

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

November 18, 2009 8:37 pm
MacHeist Forums » The Apps » ★ WriteRoom

Become an agent

Keep me posted on more free offers and deals on great Mac software (We'll never sell your email, spam is evil)

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?

Login to MacHeist

As a MacHeist agent you'll be privy to special missions like these, tons of awesome free software, and the best software deals around. What do you want to hear about?